PDA

View Full Version : tMP Brass at Easingwold?

sudcornet
11.04.2003, 19:00
Easingwold March contest is held each year on the last Saturday in June. It is run along the lines of the Whit Fridays. Each year around 20 bands and attendant followers converge on this small Market town in North Yorkshire from about 4.30pm onwards. The attraction (other than having a chance to win about 7.50) is that Easingwold has 8 or 9 pubs around it's market place and all of them are soon full of bandsmen (scary thought huh?) It is a super contest and meeting place for the BB community and the format ensures a good night out...(ie:- 10mins playing/ 4 hours in/outside the pub).....So, now I've sold the event, what is the likeliehood of 30ish tMP'ers playing suitable instruments attending the contest. The itinerary would likely be choosing a couple of marches that everyone can play, meet up in a car park for 20 mins rehearsal, do the gig, retire to the pub(s). I know some of you will be playing there with your respective bands, but, as far as I'm aware, there is no ruling about players playing with more than one band(there's no registration anyway).
So what do you think?
Sud.
:D :D :guiness :guiness :D :D :guiness :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :wow

cornetgirl
11.04.2003, 19:13
Sounds good - I'll just check the jobs list - yup, count me in!!!

Rach x

HBB
11.04.2003, 19:26
If you can get me out of my science exam : <looks at Sparkling Quavers> I could do it ...... drat! :D

I've just found out I can do the Whit Friday March now though .... yey! :D

I think it would be extremely interesting, fun and constructive if a band from tMP could meet up ............

Ben ;)

p.s. watch this space! :D

ersop
11.04.2003, 22:05
Nigel,
Easingwold is an excellent night, I've already been booked by one band and had a 2nd on the fone. However, many years ago now, the bulk of Ever Ready attended assisted by some deps. We actually won the contest, but were disqualified as we were deemed to be a scratch band and therefore outside the brief of the contest. I thought it was absurd at the time and havent changed my mind, but perhaps you should check with the organiser Dennis Hill before assembling a band. I would hate people to be dissapointed, as we were.

Why dont we just make one of the pubs tMP HQ for the evening, that way anyone playing can meet the non players there and mingle.

Just a thought, I'll be there whatever, and if you get the go-ahead for a scratch band, and you need a Sop player then count me in.

Straightmute
12.04.2003, 01:09
Count me in. I'll wag or blow.

D

Roger Thorne
12.04.2003, 01:50
Count me in too - plus a car load from Shrewsbury

:wink:

Aidan
12.04.2003, 07:58
il check my diary when i get back from NEW ZEALAND!
but id be up for it...

TheMusicMan
12.04.2003, 09:06
il check my diary when i get back from NEW ZEALAND!
but id be up for it...

Hey Aidan - hope you're doing your bit for tMP across from 'down under' ?? Met anyone interested in signing up at tMP yet...?

Hilary Mateer
12.04.2003, 10:04
Sounds like fun :) and nobody else has asked me to play this year :cry:

I let myself be persuaded into playing BBb bass last year :twisted: Very silly

Hilary Mateer

EEb Bass

michellegarbutt
12.04.2003, 13:51
I'll certainly come along on Baritone and I can produce a Bb player who could play on stage but he couldn't manage the march around the square

Roger Thorne
12.04.2003, 14:00
I think it would be extremely interesting, fun and constructive if a band from tMP could meet up ............

Hope you have more luck getting a band together than I've had trying to organise a quiz team!

:cry:

sparkling_quavers
12.04.2003, 14:10
I will check our gigs diary and if I am free count me in!! (along with a few others from here I am sure!) 8)

HBB
12.04.2003, 14:28

Hope you have more luck getting a band together than I've had trying to organise a quiz team!

:cry:

A quiz .. when .... where???? I've never heard this :shock:

sparkling_quavers
12.04.2003, 14:32
A quiz .. when .... where???? I've never heard this :shock:
The test the nation durgh!

Keppler
13.04.2003, 02:04
That's a quiz? *ding*

Wonky_Baton
13.04.2003, 02:37
The places are usually gone quite early so its best to get in quick. Its my fortieth birthday on the sunday after Easingwold so i am starting to celebrate on the saturaday at the contest and by the time the bus gets back it will be party time 8) . If anyone sees me lying in the gutter make sure i get on the Safari coach. Its white and blue :wink:

BoozyBTrom
14.04.2003, 10:20
i will be available for a blow. But if we play late on may not be in much of a state to play.

Mrs Fruity
14.04.2003, 14:07
Oh no! - my 40th birthday's the same weekend as Easingwold (I think - is it 21st June?) That means I'm older than Alan Seymour - woe is me!!! I thought I might be younger than at least one person in Houghton except my husband.

twigglet
14.04.2003, 14:30
A big yes from me, sounds like fun

I will probably be in said car load from shrewsbury with Roger! Will be nice to put faces to avatars!

Big Twigge
15.04.2003, 09:15
Can i play too?.....sounds like muchos fun!!!!! :lol:

Keppler
15.04.2003, 11:16
Eat Slugs? :? Or do I want to know?

Alas I can't make it for this.. I believe we have one of a number of special olympics jobs around that time.

Roger Thorne
15.04.2003, 13:52
Big Twigge + Eat Slugs = Harry Potter!

Big Twigge
15.04.2003, 14:16
Correct Mr Thorne, you get extra points!!!!
:lol: (I can't help if that although I'm 20, I'm still a big kid at heart!).......will be back on topic soon of course!

Keppler
15.04.2003, 14:45
BT, the older you get, the better it is to be a big kid.. I'm 25, and going strong..

*back on topic*

Is it me, or is there a sudden surge in Marchy-type contests?

neiltwist
15.04.2003, 15:09
not noticed any surge, just they're all about this time of year!

michellegarbutt
17.04.2003, 17:54
Has anybody found out yet if we can enter? I've got another couple of players who would like to join in if we can

sudcornet
18.04.2003, 00:19
I'm currently in contact with the association. I think there's a tentative yes-ish so far. We just have to be a " bona fide brass band" as far as the rules go, but, there's some concern about eligibility for prizes(I think they mean complaints if we win something) I promise to let you know ASAP, but keep the date(and the recovery day) free. Confession:- I have been known (in the dim and distant past) to climb on my mate's roof ('cos I could - before you ask....admittedly after a sh**load of beer) and moon at the moon .......(and one of us might have accidently peed down the neighbours chimney............., accidentally.....)
Sud.

yorkie19
23.04.2003, 11:54
Nigel

Given that you don't have to sign any registration documents, you could form a brass band and affiliate to the region? No-one would have to sign for the band, although there would be a cost involved. You could even request to be drawn number 1, to keep the beer-minded happy (especially if Twigglet is coming up from Shropshire).

If you do get an early draw, I might well be up for it, but Easingwold is traditionally a day for getting very, very drunk.

Sam

Aidan
23.04.2003, 12:41
in which case i will definately play...

SoloBaritone
24.04.2003, 13:05
Yey, it'll be sooo much fun! Me and Lee can be the bari section, you'll not get better than that, hmm.....

Jayne

twigglet
24.04.2003, 18:15
You could even request to be drawn number 1, to keep the beer-minded happy (especially if Twigglet is coming up from Shropshire).

Don't know if that is in reference to keeping me happy for transport reasons or because I'm beer minded

PeterBale
24.04.2003, 18:45
John: We have another "Page 3 of 2" appearing - or not appearing as the case may be :!: :!: :!: :oops: :oops:

(Edit) Seems to have righted itself with this post :!: :!: :!:

neiltwist
24.04.2003, 19:17
it sorts itself out when someone adds to the thread

yorkie19
25.04.2003, 11:37
You could even request to be drawn number 1, to keep the beer-minded happy (especially if Twigglet is coming up from Shropshire).

Don't know if that is in reference to keeping me happy for transport reasons or because I'm beer minded

Exactly! :lol: :guiness

Hilary Mateer
26.04.2003, 01:03
Jus realised that I have a Band job on 28th of June that clashes with Easingwold, so sorry but I won't be able to make it :(

Hilary Mateer

EEb Bass

michellegarbutt
26.04.2003, 09:11
There is no draw at Easingwold. You actually play in the order you register your arrival with the contest officials. So if we want to play number 1 we just have to get there early.

cornetgirl
26.04.2003, 16:24
Count me in - if I'm allowed.....

What're we playing?

Rach x

twigglet
26.04.2003, 17:39
whoops.........

just realised that I am infact going on holiday on June the 28th which is a shame because it sounds like fun.

picju96
27.04.2003, 15:35
That's my 18th b-day party day! Can't wait!

Wonky_Baton
27.04.2003, 15:44
Oh no! - my 40th birthday's the same weekend as Easingwold (I think - is it 21st June?) That means I'm older than Alan Seymour - woe is me!!! I thought I might be younger than at least one person in Houghton except my husband.

I am hoping that Easingwold is the weekend of the 28th cos I am organising a party for after the contest. Dont worry even if you are older you have worn better that me - I look 60. Worry of conducting I suppose. :roll:

BoozyBTrom
28.04.2003, 10:45
I look 60. Worry of conducting I suppose. :roll:

What about all those years of post contest boozing alan

Wonky_Baton
28.04.2003, 13:16
What about all those years of post contest boozing alan

Gareth there is that. The same principal would mean you are 15.2 years old.

Easingwold contest and beer is class but the plastic glasses are a bit naff. I am taking a pewter tankard this year. :wink:

BoozyBTrom
29.04.2003, 13:29
I am taking a pewter tankard this year. :wink:

How very posh. You will be the talk of the town. No change there then

geordiecolin
29.04.2003, 14:05
I don't know what i'll be doing that weekend. i'll see when i've finished uni. Might be a late late addition.

spookybiking
29.04.2003, 17:34
i can get my mate phil to email a member of the national youth band of new zealand about the site

jfenwick
26.05.2003, 12:47
I hate easingwold. I don't see a point in my band going were only 3rd section, well never win anything

IckleSop
26.05.2003, 12:59
i would play but ive gotta go down to cornwall for bugel then im coming back on the 30th so :cry:

michellegarbutt
26.05.2003, 13:41
There is a prize for the highest placed band in each section as well as a deportment prize. The first year I went with Peterlee we were awarded the cup for the 4th section. Then the organizers realized we were 3rd section and asked for the cup back. The only trouble was we were having a photo taken outside the pub with it when someone ran up and snatched it. We had a hard job explaining to the organizers. Luckily someone in Easingwold found it thrown into their backgarden about 2 weeks later

Stewart
26.05.2003, 19:15
I'm a bit confused now, I thought that our mob were supposed to be doing Easingwold this year (last year we didn't play, just took a bus and got drunk) but looking at the list of jobs I've got in front of me I can't see it :? Oh well, I'll probably be there anywhere looking lost and inhebrated!

Big Twigge
26.05.2003, 19:35
Is this still going to happen? It would be fun! if not everybody should go anyway and have either an official or unofficial tMP outing!
I know i'd go along for a laugh!

P.s Where is Easingwold?

Stewart
26.05.2003, 19:50
it's a small townabout ten miles north of York. Can everyone please wear badges so I recognise you all? :wink:

Straightmute
26.05.2003, 21:34
Is this still going to happen? It would be fun! if not everybody should go anyway and have either an official or unofficial tMP outing!
I know i'd go along for a laugh!

P.s Where is Easingwold?

I think that the rules prohibit 'scratch' bands so the idea of taking a tMP band isn't really on. But I thoroughly recommend it as an evening out. I'll be there!

D

jfenwick
26.05.2003, 22:07
why not start a tMP actual contesting band. would be interesting to see how good it woz

bigcol
27.05.2003, 00:00
i would play but ive gotta go down to cornwall for bugel then im coming back on the 30th so :cry:

Oh Bex!!! You've missed your chance of meeting me!!

sudcornet
27.05.2003, 09:31
Please see new thread........

http://www.themouthpiece.com/viewtopic.php?t=1350

Sud.

IckleSop
27.05.2003, 16:46

Oh Bex!!! You've missed your chance of meeting me!!

awwwwwwwwwww babes im sure there'll be another time............!!!!