PDA

View Full Version : theMouthPiece.com Improvements & suggestions ...

TheMusicMan
18.11.2002, 16:21
Hi everyone,

If you have any ideas or suggestions for new topics or categories, new features, in fact anything you think might improve the service we offer here at theMouthPiece.com, then please give us these ideas by either replying to this post or by simply posting a new thread in this category.

theMouthPiece.com has been set up with our members in mind and we want to provide a service that is needed and used, so please tell us if you have a great idea, we'll do our best to implement it ...

thanks

Wonky_Baton
17.01.2003, 12:30
I dont know this is covered anywhere else but the forum has got quite big already and I will be eventually huge. Therefore would it be possible to add a Your Region category where idle gosip for each region can be aired. As the contest season comes up there would probably be some interesting views expressed for each area which wouldn't mean much to anyone else although any one would be welcome to post an opinion.

bigcol
17.01.2003, 12:34
Good idea Alan - Also how about a forum per instrument (and baritone) too?

Keppler
17.01.2003, 12:55
From a usability point of view, adding a gazillion new categories at the same time will probably cause some confusion, probably needing some sort of categorization of categories to sort it out..
that's confusing enough by itself!

I can see the areas idea possibly being useful, although ye don't have to add one for my area - seeing as I'm here on my tod..

floral_dance
17.01.2003, 18:43
From a usability point of view, adding a gazillion new categories at the same time will probably cause some confusion, probably needing some sort of categorization of categories to sort it out..
that's confusing enough by itself!

I can see the areas idea possibly being useful, although ye don't have to add one for my area - seeing as I'm here on my tod..
Me too Kelper!! perhaps we could have a Scotland and Eire region

gorgeous_bari!_player
24.01.2003, 20:23
i was just wondering (well acctually my mum again) it could be nice in the profile bit to know wot instruments people play.

:D

PeterBale
25.01.2003, 07:04
This can already be done if you put a note in the "interests" line.

Tuba Girl
07.06.2003, 00:48
If you are going to lock a certain topic then could you please state why.
It seems that there has been a lot more locked threads in the last couple of months. Sometimes it is obvious and other times it seems that people are having a laugh. Other times posts seemed to be loked for no reason.

Keppler
07.06.2003, 00:58
When threads are locked "for no reason" it is because they are under discussion. Sometimes it's required for a single moderator to act in isolation - but it's a temporary measure until we decide as a group what actions to take.

Please read "under discussion" instead of "no reason"

We're doing our best to work for you here, thanks for bearing with us.

Tuba Girl
07.06.2003, 01:02
Thanks for explaining that. Much appreciated.

Roger Thorne
07.06.2003, 01:10
Threads are locked for a specific reason. Usually we will explain the circumstances why this action has occured. But on other ocassions the Moderator(s) may sometimes have to consult with the Administrator before taking the appropriate action, which will often mean consulting with the individual who posted the original thread/post. This would mean that the reason cannot be stated until others have been contacted.
Usually a thread will be locked if a Moderator feels that a thread or a post will cause offence to an individual(s).
As the membership of theMouthpiece.com continues to grow it is enevitable that the likelyhood of 'unsavoury' posts will continue to grow too. It's a natural progression. In all fareness there have been very few posts locked considering the membership of this forum.

We will continue to give reasons for locking threads and posts, but if an explanation is not immediately forthcoming it is because it is being disscused by the Moderators team.

Thanks for your understanding in this matter.

Roger

:wink:

Keppler
07.06.2003, 01:14
Roger gets this month's "Repeating 2 posts above in far better language" award ;)

Roger Thorne
07.06.2003, 01:17
Roger gets this month's "Repeating 2 posts above in far better language" award ;)

I know I talk a lot, but I didn't realilse that I do the same when I write something.

You sneaked in very quickly there Neal!

neiltwist
07.06.2003, 02:56
ahhh, but after seeing the 'offending' post and seeing no reason why it should be locked, maybe it would be possible for whoever locks it to add something like 'mod:locked and under discussion' no names need be disclosed, but at least we'd know it was done purposely.

Roger Thorne
07.06.2003, 03:22
The fact that only the Adminstrator and Moderators can lock a thread I would presume people would realise it has been done purposely.

Threads are locked for a specific reason. Usually we will explain the circumstances why this action has occured. But on other ocassions the Moderator(s) may sometimes have to consult with the Administrator before taking the appropriate action, which will often mean consulting with the individual who posted the original thread/post. This would mean that the reason cannot be stated until others have been contacted.

neiltwist
07.06.2003, 03:36
you obviously haven't worked with computers for long enough! sorry, don't mean to annoy, but i've seen stranger.

TheMusicMan
07.06.2003, 09:34
Hi Tuba_Girl and NeilTwist... and everyone else,

Thanks for your comments re locking certain threads, and please believe me, I do understand your concerns here :)

As tMP continues to grow, with more hits, more members and many more posts - myself and our Moderators are always keeping a close, keen eye on proceedings here on tMP. I'm sure you both agree that this is indeed the case, and also both understand why we need to do this. Most of the time (in fact 99.9% of the time), it actually goes unoticed that certain threads are temporarily locked whilst we (myself and Mods) discuss the content. We are usually extremely quick in our response (as was the case for those who remember with Uncle_Norbert) as we don't want to attract attention to this or cause any offence to anyone here on tMP. It is for this reason that - up to now - we have not ammended a post whilst it is temporarily locked. We feel that we, as a team, indeed act quickly enough, and simply don't wish to draw attention to the fact that a thread is "under discussion".

I have total faith in all our Moderators, and I back them 100% as you probably have seen. They simply would not lock a thread for 'fun' or for any reason other than based upon my guidellines or policy/pragmatic common sense/experience etc. They wouldn't be Mods if that were the case... :)

We're all learning our trade as well.... I've not been Site Admin on a www site with so many members/hits before, and perhaps our Mods are in the same situation. But please believe me when I say that we're all here for the benefit of tMP and mean absolutely no offence when we Moderate our forums. Sometimes it is inevitable that I'll make an error or mistake, can I ask that you bare with us as we grow and learn.

I don't think we're doing too bad a job eh!!! :) I hope this is a satisfactory explanation for how I wish to operate.

If you're still concerned, please contact me directly and we can discuss further. Thanks for your understanding.

John

Accidental
09.10.2003, 15:43
I understand why some threads need to be made sticky, but is there a way to "unstick" them when they're no longer topical/out of date? On some of the forums (fora?!!!) there's half a page of stickies to wade through before you get to the new stuff and its a tad irritating. Sorry to moan - I think you're fab really!!

Accidental
09.10.2003, 15:59
Oooo just thought of another one!

Can you add a space for people's (real) names in the profiles so we can search for them rather than wait to see if we recognise them thru postings?

(I know I already mailed you about this John, but I'm still trying to track a couple of peeps down and its starting to bug me! :D )

timbloke
09.11.2003, 19:49
how about different forum's depending on what instrument, this way you won't fill up the rehearsal room with loads of instrument related posts?

Aidan
09.11.2003, 21:12
another thing...
in the msn brass forum.. (the one between delphi and this!)
people were only admitted to the forum if they supplied their band, contact details and real name.. maybe something along these lines would cut down on malicious and mischevious threads?

SBB
09.11.2003, 21:43
wheres the MSN Brass website??? Room thingy?

thanks

Aidan
09.11.2003, 22:05
its not used anymore.

MoominDave
09.11.2003, 22:46
its not used anymore.

Essentially because it's fantastically clunky and slow compared to this site. Also, you have to give your email address to MSN, who invariably fail to protect it from spammers, ultimately resulting in the 100+ usually obscene spam emails a day my old home email account used to receive.

Stick with tMP, I would, Ben... No sense in fragmenting the online community!

Dave

jonford
27.08.2004, 09:00
I don't think you can even access the old msn forum.

I don't know how this would work but i've seen a few forums now with a picture gallery where users can add their own pictures and others can rate them and add comments. I know you can already add pictures into a message but I think this would be much more interesting if you could add galleries of a certain event, tour, concert. I imagine this may be difficult to moderate though as well because there are always people who would spoil it by putting unsuitable pictures up! I know msn had a gallery which was interesting but wasn't very good because you could only post so many pictures before you had to purchase extra space!

TheMusicMan
27.08.2004, 09:12
Jon, I do have plans to integrate a gallery feature into tMP. It will be a fairly large job, but it is on the radar.

John

rambo87
16.09.2004, 14:40
hi dunno if this is the right place to ask this but how do you change your member profile thing? new to this site-recommended my cousin and uncle!

alex ramsay

TheMusicMan
16.09.2004, 14:47
Hi Alex,

Welcome to tMP, good to have you here.

There is a section on the how-to's on the new look tMP that you will find here (http://www.themouthpiece.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=38)... you may find some useful posts in there as to how to achieve certain things using the tMP application.

To change your profile you simply need to click on the User CP link at the top of any tMP page. That will take you to your profile wher eyou can change a multitude os personal settings.

Let us know if you still have trouble.

John

Janet Watkins
16.09.2004, 15:45
Would it be possible to indicate when a thread was started?

Then we can tell if it is really old thread being resurrected, or someone with new thoughts on an old topic.

Many thanks for all your good work.

Janet

TheMusicMan
16.09.2004, 15:50
Hi Janet

When you do your search of 'New POsts' using one of teh pre-built searches I have provided in the links Bar - check the column titled "Replies". If the number is there is zero, or close to zero, then you can safely assume that this is a new thread that you might not have seen before. However, for any individual (who may not have seen the thread at all), there may be many replies to that specific thread between now and their last visit... so caution if you are going to use this method.

Aardvark
15.10.2004, 00:16
(cut a bit !)

Hi everyone,

If you have any ideas or suggestions for new features, in fact anything you think might improve the service we offer here at theMouthPiece.com, then please give us these ideas by either replying to this post or by simply posting a new thread in this category.

thanks Hi

Is it possible to have the next thread/last thread links at the top of the page as well as at the bottom for ease of navigation.

Thanks

Elspeth

TheMusicMan
15.10.2004, 00:32
Hi

Is it possible to have the next thread/last thread links at the top of the page as well as at the bottom for ease of navigation.

Thanks

Elspeth Consider it done....:) How's that for service then eh?

Aardvark
15.10.2004, 00:32
Hi

Thanks

Elspeth
Blimey that was quick - or did I just miss it before ?:p

Thanks

TheMusicMan
15.10.2004, 00:35
Blimey that was quick - or did I just miss it before ?:p

Thanks
Nope you didn't miss it before... I was quick... ;)

flugelgal
15.10.2004, 12:36
I use tMP sometimes at work in my lunch break (eg just now...). The "Remember Me" box is always ticked by default when I go to log in, so I have to untick it every time I log in. Is it possible to change that to be unticked by default? After all, if someone wants to be automatically logged in every time they visit, they would only have to tick that once ;).

Ta!

cornet.kid
06.10.2005, 10:53
the website (and its not just my computer at home - others doing it to me too) will not allow me to logout - this means scanning all the way through my computer files and removing the cookie for Tmp - this makes my computer forget that i ever visited tmp and who i am and my password - then have to open the site again - rather annoying.

would it be possible to fix this?

(btw i hope this is in the right place as i dont know where else to put it)

madrich
06.10.2005, 11:49
If possible, I know this is a little geeky, an RSS feed would me nice. Most other forums on the web have them now :-)

Chris Sanders
06.10.2005, 11:59
How about a separate sports section, as most people would guess I am a bit sprot crazy and generally post in Random Chat and Off Topic, hopefully this would promote the discussion of sports and stop people without any interest having to view it? Just an idea?

Or, on a football forum I go on HERE (http://www.beautifulgame.net/index.php?sid=fe09f9bd4f4341036c945a0ff51aaff4) they have a chatroom (see top of index), thats quite good. This would give tMP a more personal touch.

Scotty
06.10.2005, 13:04
I think TMP is a good service, but sometimes im put of logging in because (particularly at home) it is very slow to load up, not so much at uni because its a really fast server!

Just wondering if theres a way to make it a bit faster?

TheMusicMan
06.10.2005, 13:06
If possible, I know this is a little geeky, an RSS feed would me nice. Most other forums on the web have them now :-)
Try this in your news reader...

http://www.themouthpiece.com/vb/external.php

Let me know if you like it.

I will also soon be releasing some code that will allow users to post the last 'n' (up to 15) posts from tMP on their own site. More soon...

TheMusicMan
06.10.2005, 13:07
I think TMP is a good service, but sometimes im put of logging in because (particularly at home) it is very slow to load up, not so much at uni because its a really fast server!

Just wondering if theres a way to make it a bit faster?Try the 'Clean' or 'tMP Main' styles... they are much less graphic intensive than the default tMP303 which I will be moving away from as the default selected style soon.

Let me know if this improves things for you Scotty...

Cheers

brassneck
02.01.2006, 16:45
Hmmmmm., I'm not allowed to use an animated GIF as an avatar any longer! Anything wrong or changed that we should know?

"You may not upload animated images."

dyl
02.01.2006, 20:41
That's news to me BN - we'll check the settings (sounds like a new setting in the new version of the forum software).

Must say I quite like the idea of having no animated avatars............................but that's just me! ;)

Chris Sanders
02.01.2006, 20:51
Must say I quite like the idea of having no animated avatars............................but that's just me! ;)

I agree :icon_confused:

brassneck
02.01.2006, 21:03
I agree :icon_confused:

- I dare you to change yours ... :icon_wink:

Chris Sanders
02.01.2006, 21:22
- I dare you to change yours ... :icon_wink:

I wanted to change it to one of these;

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y250/sandman289/rdsp4.gif http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y250/sandman289/tophat2s.gif

But it wouldnt let me...

:icon_frown:

EDIT: Inappropriate image removed, PB Mod

brassneck
02.01.2006, 21:54
... I'll maybe have to compromise by including this ...

:pig :pig :pig

dyl
02.01.2006, 22:01
Sorry to spoil your fun guys, but topic please.

brassneck
02.01.2006, 22:12
Sorry to spoil your fun guys, but topic please.

:pig :pig :pig - we were waiting on you getting an answer for us!

lausonbass
02.01.2006, 23:58
i have been struggling to log in lately, i can't do it on the home page i have to go into a thread an reply, at which point it asks me to log on.

don't know whther this is in the right place but i'm a bit stuck cos can't get into much on the site

Di
03.01.2006, 00:10
To quote John, Laura:

This is a known and documented error on tMP and has been for a while... try loggin in via the forums rather than the portal page, and then click the tick box so you don't have to log in each time you visit.

Hope this helps. :)

lausonbass
03.01.2006, 00:12
thanks, but the tick box has it's tick all the time, it remebers my password when i write in my name but it's then when it all goes wrong

Di
03.01.2006, 00:18
Are you doing it via the "forums" page rather than the "home" page?

dyl
03.01.2006, 13:45
Hmmmmm., I'm not allowed to use an animated GIF as an avatar any longer! Anything wrong or changed that we should know?

"You may not upload animated images."

Can you try it now please?

brassneck
03.01.2006, 19:21
Can you try it now please?

- yey! pigs can fly again! :icon_smile:

dyl
03.01.2006, 22:35
Nice one. Ta for checking it for me.

brassneck
03.01.2006, 22:39
Nice one. Ta for checking it for me.

- thanks for getting the configuration altered!

Aardvark
20.01.2006, 09:57
Hi everyone,

If you have any ideas or suggestions for new topics or categories, new features, in fact anything you think might improve the service we offer here at theMouthPiece.com, then please give us these ideas by either replying to this post or by simply posting a new thread in this category.

theMouthPiece.com has been set up with our members in mind and we want to provide a service that is needed and used, so please tell us if you have a great idea, we'll do our best to implement it ...

thanks
Hi

Had a idea that might be useful and potentially an income generator for tMP. It's not a fully developed idea yet......... so feel free to let me know why it wouldn't be practical ;)

In the same way that there are separate forums set up for people involved in tMP events (eg Hadleigh) where only those people involved have access to the forum, could something be set up for individual bands. You may need to have a contact at each band to approve entry and possibly a mod could be appointed from the band if you didn't want to overload the super mods any further (that bit probably needs a bit more thinking about.....)

The benefit to the band would be that they don't need to set up their own forum and tMP has much more functionality and is more user friendly than the run of the mill free forums. They could use it for notices and keeping the band updated as well as more fun subjects specific to the band (and you may get rid of some of the in-band banter that no-one else understands on the other forums :rolleyes: ). Also ex-members or friends of the band could be allowed to join if the band is happy with that.

Benefit to tMP - well, you could charge a small monthly fee - alternatively, as each band member would need to be a tMP member to get to their band's forum, I would think there would be a nice increase in membership and potiental advertisers/supporters/or even just clickers on the ads !

What do you think ?

TheMusicMan
20.01.2006, 10:23
Hi Elspeth,

This is a great idea and believe it or not is something we have done previously on tMP. We have had several hidden forum areas that only certain bands or individuals can access.

if any bands wants to have something like this on tMP - your own private area that only you and those individuals whom you decide - can see, then please feel free to contact me with requirements. You can also have your own look too - doesn't have to be the tMP style - it can be any style even your bands one!!!

Your own band forum on tMP eh... sounds great yeah :)

Contact me for details...

steve_r
27.03.2006, 19:50
I just registered and the quick regsister failed in both firefox AND IE and threw me to a blank page (register.php I think) which just hung :-(

Obviously the old way is OK

Steve

DublinBass
09.05.2006, 12:27
I am in tMP clean widescreen and on Firefox. Anytime I click quick links it just shifts the page so quicklinks is at the top without opening the menu like it used to.

dyl
09.05.2006, 13:10
I am in tMP clean widescreen and on Firefox. Anytime I click quick links it just shifts the page so quicklinks is at the top without opening the menu like it used to.

That's the same combo as I have PAt, and I don't get the problem. What version of Firefox are you using?

DaveR
09.05.2006, 13:43

That happens periodically in tMP Blue too - it happened to me just a minute ago. It soon clears itself up though - just try clicking one of the links, or refreshing the browser.

DublinBass
09.05.2006, 13:45
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.7.12) Gecko/20050915 Firefox/1.0.7

steve_r
09.05.2006, 17:40
Ooohh you should really upgrade that firefox

http://www.mozilla.org/projects/security/known-vulnerabilities.html#Firefox

Steve

Will the Sec
03.07.2006, 13:38
John, is there a reason why sticky threads don't appear at the top of "new posts"? If they're important enough to be sticky in a particular forum, then perhaps they should also be at the top of the "new posts" too. (I say this becuase I could not find the post for the second tMP piece of the week. It was down on the second page of new posts at the time.)

dyl
03.07.2006, 13:42
Will - I think the reason is that 'Sticky threads' are forum specific - ie. they are stuck to the top of the forum in which they appear. New Posts is not a forum, but a search result page, and therefore 'sticky' threads can't be made to appear at the top.

Jan H
03.07.2006, 14:56
Will - I think the reason is that 'Sticky threads' are forum specific - ie. they are stuck to the top of the forum in which they appear. New Posts is not a forum, but a search result page, and therefore 'sticky' threads can't be made to appear at the top.
Indeed, that's what I think too.
But you can still recognize them because they have a different background color

nickjones
04.07.2006, 09:36
Could you please stop moving the goalposts with Website of the Month!!!!!
For example
the website www.bierkellerbrass.co.uk was nomintated and accepted but due to the vast amounts of entries was cut off due to the amount of nominations tmp can accept (this ruling was understood , not happy with that but there you go) , next as mods you did not accept it's 2nd monthly nomination due to the website will not be allowed due to the previous months nomination ( ok fine fair enough) , now for July the website is not in the final cut ( only 4 websites for contention) , have we at the BV Band done something to upset the mods and powers that be at TMP? hey I know the bands we play for are not flavour of the month with a couple of your mods but come on , show a bit of leaway here.
It would be great for Bierkeller Brass to be nominated for tmp website of the month , we are serious about what we do and it's a good group to be with.
Show a bit of common sense..let us in , hey even if we don't win we still want to be considered...

PeterBale
04.07.2006, 09:50
Hi Nick,

Please be assured there's nothing personal in this. We are discussing some guidelines for submissions to Website of the Month and further details will be posted in due course.

dyl
04.07.2006, 10:05
Nick:

Could you please stop moving the goalposts with Website of the Month!!!!! Goal posts are not being moved - the guidelines have been more or less the same since the contest started, with only a few minor tweaks along the way.

The important sentence to note is this:

All seconded sites are then put forward for consideration by the tMP Team to make the final list' meaning we must have some sort of quality control over which sites are put forward to the public vote - if we - as a team of mods (not just one or two) don't think a site is worthy of carrying the tMP WoM title then we will not put it forward for the vote. Simple as that. We are currently in the process of compiling a short 'What we'd like to see in a brass site' article that will help explain the situation a little clearer. But, suffice to say, a site with 3 photo galleries, a couple of email links, and a guestbook doesn't tick all the boxes I'm afraid.

have we at the BV Band done something to upset the mods and powers that be at TMP? hey I know the bands we play for are not flavour of the month with a couple of your mods but come on , show a bit of leaway here. Do you really think we are that petty, Nick? I guess I'm one of the 'couple of mods' you're referring to here - and I have told you more than once that I have no issue with your band - in fact, I've gone out of my way (more than once) to actually help you out with regards to a few things on here, yet you still have this paranoia. That is all I have to say on this matter - if you want to carry on with this complex you've got, fine, that's your choice - but I have far worse things to be worried about at the moment.

It would be great for Bierkeller Brass to be nominated for tmp website of the month , we are serious about what we do and it's a good group to be with. Then hang fire, read the article we're preparing, flesh out your site, and then by all means nominate it again. If it's seconded and passes our 'quality control' then great.

Show a bit of common sense I can assure you that is what we're doing - whilst we strive to promote bands and their sites (which is the primary reason for this competition) we are protecting the name of tMP here - only sites of quality can carry the name of tMP WoM winner.

nickjones
04.07.2006, 10:19
Thanks for that Dyl..we just wanted to be considered for the website of the month , maybe an explaination why we didn't make the grade etc,as we had the made the grade previously only to be taken out due to the large numbers of entries ( quality of the site was not mentioned then) but hey we all have our problems , just got to deal with them in different ways.
well am sure we can flesh it out and make it acceptable for the good people here at Tmp.
Thanks for letting us know.
ps if you have any suggestions to make the site better , brilliant will read the article when it's up online.
ta...

TheMusicMan
04.07.2006, 11:09
Hi Nick - just to fully back up what Dyl has said.

I assure you there really is nothing personal in this at all. We appreciate (and to be totally honest, I am really flattered) that the "tMP WoM" is proving to be sort of a small sought-after accolade for relevant groups/bands/organisations, and as such, we are always willing to improve the way we do things around here to be fair to everyone - hence the "rough guide" Dyl eludes to.

Hang fire, bear with us, and I am sure you'll get your dessert... :)

Nat
10.07.2006, 10:35
hi i would like to know how not to be subscribed to threads automaticaly because all the e-mails are clogging up my inbox, i have already went to subscribed threads and deleted them but every time i post it does it again. is there a way to not automatically be subscribed to all threads?
cheers
nats

TheMusicMan
10.07.2006, 10:37
hi i would like to know how not to be subscribed to threads automaticaly because all the e-mails are clogging up my inbox, i have already went to subscribed threads and deleted them but every time i post it does it again. is there a way to not automatically be subscribed to all threads?
cheers
natsSure Nat, this is easy. Here's how... go to:

UserCP > Edit Options (on left hand side) > Default Thread Subscription Mode > set to: Do Not Subscribe

How's that?

Nat
10.07.2006, 10:39
Thankyou very much:)

Janet Watkins
10.07.2006, 11:57
Not a suggestion or ask for help in using the forums, but I am curious about something!................

I use tMP Blue.

Why does the 'margin' where the user details appear vary in width. There doesn't seem to be any consistency as the same user can have different widths within the same topic?

Yours in curiosity........

TheMusicMan
10.07.2006, 12:04
Hi Janet

I think this is to do with the number of characters in a users username - and it that username contains spaces. Those with longer usernames (such as tMP's very own SQ) cause the left column (with the profile data contained in it) to extend widthways as the username won't wrap to the next line.

You can use the tMP Horizontal layout though where the profile data is displayed across the top of the post instead of to the left of the post. Have a lookie in your UserCP>Options area. Shout if you need help...:)

SuperMosh
11.04.2007, 07:52
Just an idea I have had whilst eating my cornflakes...

Would it be feasible for tMP to start reviewing brass stuff such as CDs, books, concerts etc etc. I know 4BR do the same thing but there are thousands of members on here and in my view this represents a captive audience.

The logistics are not so well thought out. Maybe an audition process for respective reviewers then a /view only' thread where reviews can be posted? I am not sure of this bit but I bet many tMPers might like the chance to review stuff.

In terms of income generating for tMP then any CDs given by interested bands could be sold on to members with monies going to tMP.

What do you think?

PeterBale
11.04.2007, 10:37
Just an idea I have had whilst eating my cornflakes...

Would it be feasible for tMP to start reviewing brass stuff such as CDs, books, concerts etc etc. I know 4BR do the same thing but there are thousands of members on here and in my view this represents a captive audience.

The logistics are not so well thought out. Maybe an audition process for respective reviewers then a /view only' thread where reviews can be posted? I am not sure of this bit but I bet many tMPers might like the chance to review stuff.

In terms of income generating for tMP then any CDs given by interested bands could be sold on to members with monies going to tMP.

What do you think?

From the outset, tMP has always included a User Reviews section, and anyone is welcome to make a contribution. If you check the section out, you'll find these have varied from brief comments about a particular product or event to quite detailed reviews.

SuperMosh
11.04.2007, 14:16
From the outset, tMP has always included a User Reviews section, and anyone is welcome to make a contribution. If you check the section out, you'll find these have varied from brief comments about a particular product or event to quite detailed reviews.

OK Thanks for that. However, my idea centred on a possibility of tMP generating a modest revenue from the reviewing of materials.

Is that feasible?

fatstickmanslim
03.08.2008, 17:04
Hi what about a public thankyou site , for people and fellow tmpers who help out on jobs etc eg ploughboy helped on friday thanks alot . fatstickmanslim. any thoughts?

steve butler
03.08.2008, 18:54
Hi what about a public thankyou site , for people and fellow tmpers who help out on jobs etc eg ploughboy helped on friday thanks alot . fatstickmanslim. any thoughts?
You could always start one. ;)

PS could I publicly thank you for this excellent suggestion :D

mikelyons
09.08.2008, 19:08
Some time ago I did start a thread on this entitled "Never have so many..." It is not to far in the realms of history to revive it.

brassneck
20.08.2008, 22:52
Some time ago I did start a thread on this entitled "Never have so many..." It is not to far in the realms of history to revive it.

Any idea why it was archived? It was a brilliant thread when it was running!

dyl
20.08.2008, 23:08
Any idea why it was archived? It was a brilliant thread when it was running!

Errrm? Archived?

http://www.themouthpiece.com/vb/showthread.php?t=13346

:rolleyes:

brassneck
24.08.2008, 22:54
Errrm? Archived?

http://www.themouthpiece.com/vb/showthread.php?t=13346

:rolleyes:

:rolleyes: exactly!!! I tracked all the pages and couldn't find it! ;) Strange how it suddenly appeared as an active thread again ...

dyl
25.08.2008, 10:24
:rolleyes: exactly!!! I tracked all the pages and couldn't find it! ;) Strange how it suddenly appeared as an active thread again ...

It had never been archived Tom - I managed to find it easily enough.

Will the Sec
07.11.2008, 21:23
It's a long time since I registered, and given the instances of banned parties re-appearing with different names, and after a quick look at the registration page, I'm curious to know how tMP knows who the user is? The registration page asks for a valid email address, but the bottom of that page seems to complete the process.

Is there a confirmatory email?

Does that confirmatory email actually verify who the user is?

If people wish to remain anonymous on screen, OK, but is it a requirement that tMP does know exactly who is posting? Recent duplication would suggest that it doesn't.

It really seems that a lot of the 'edge' on posts in recent times would be avoided if people couldn't completely hide behind their anonymity.

The Wherryman
08.11.2008, 11:37
It's a long time since I registered, and given the instances of banned parties re-appearing with different names, and after a quick look at the registration page, I'm curious to know how tMP knows who the user is? The registration page asks for a valid email address, but the bottom of that page seems to complete the process.

Is there a confirmatory email?

Does that confirmatory email actually verify who the user is?

If people wish to remain anonymous on screen, OK, but is it a requirement that tMP does know exactly who is posting? Recent duplication would suggest that it doesn't.

It really seems that a lot of the 'edge' on posts in recent times would be avoided if people couldn't completely hide behind their anonymity.

In general terms, the only way anyone knows anything about anyone else on the internet is by what they (or someone else) tells them. For example, neither the email address nor the user name I use on tMP identify me - I could even use a false signature, if I so choose. If a criminal issue arose, I could be traced via my ISP - but not if I have used a web-based address, opened with false details.

Forums can be very dangerous places. We are very fortunate on tMP to have such good moderators and (usually) such nice people posting.

I don't have a problem with someone posting anonymously. If the post is from someone I "know", and whose views I have come to respect over a period of time, I would give such posts greater weight and consideration than those of either a known devil's advocate or a newbie who seems to just want to provoke a reaction.

An anonymous newbie's posts come right at the bottom of my credibility list and I view them very carefully to try to identify what sort of axe it is they want to grind.

Because of the nature of this forum, its moderators and its members, trouble-makers don't last very long. I think it is impossible to stop them creating a different persona and re-registering, but, as has often been said in the concurrent thread about Child Protection, if we are all vigilant, their negative impact can be minimised.

There is a very simple system for reporting posts and I have found the mods' reactions to be very swift (unless their backs have been turned for a moment :rolleyes: )

Accidental
28.07.2009, 18:39
This is one thats been bugging me for a while, and apologies if its been mentioned before, but how about automatic archiving of threads after the last post reaches a certain age (eg. 9 or 12 months?) so no new posts can be added?

Occasionally a newbie does resurrect an old discussion that prompts some new and interesting stuff, but more often than not it just seems to dredge up old arguments!

(and yes, I'm aware how old the previous post in this thread is! :p )

MrsDoyle
28.07.2009, 18:48
I concur. I was also thinking perhaps there could be a tMP email newsletter?

PeterBale
28.07.2009, 21:57
This is one thats been bugging me for a while, and apologies if its been mentioned before, but how about automatic archiving of threads after the last post reaches a certain age (eg. 9 or 12 months?) so no new posts can be added?

Occasionally a newbie does resurrect an old discussion that prompts some new and interesting stuff, but more often than not it just seems to dredge up old arguments!

(and yes, I'm aware how old the previous post in this thread is! :p )

I would not personally be in favour of this. I think there are more positive outcomes when old threads are revived than negative ones, and any misleading replies can soon be picked up on.

brasscrest
28.07.2009, 22:08
I agree with Peter on archiving, particularly in the "serious" forums. It might be OK in the Random areas, but not where substantive discussions take place.

TheMusicMan
29.07.2009, 06:51
Yep, I agree with the archiving suggestions. I shall look into how we can best accomplish this and get back to ya'll.

MrsDoyle
05.10.2009, 22:32
May I say how much I like the new 'style' which is labeled 'child of tMP 2008 black text'.

Nice work! :)

TheMusicMan
05.10.2009, 23:38
It the basic vB style, with minimal customisation. Should be fast.