PDA

View Full Version : Who is your favourite Euphonium Player(s)?

Pages : [1] 2

Seedhouse
05.04.2003, 21:53
Hello, just wondering who everyones fave Euph players were, and reasons why.
Mine are Steven Mead and Trevor Groom, two of the most influential and inspiring Euph players i've ever known (and i'm only 16!). Steven Mead for his overall brilliance, friendliness, for producing so many wicked CD's that i'm trying to get as many of (!), for being such an idle for me (and many others!) and constant enthusiastic nature towards the best instrument in the world! :wink:
Trevor Groom, as I have been having lessons with him for the past 5 months, and he has helped me greatly with my playing. For his amazingly beautiful expressive tone, enthusiasm, for helping me so much, for being such a nice person and being so friendly. :D
Any tracks performed by either of these two players is highly recommended by me! :D

TheMusicMan
05.04.2003, 23:19
Moved to "The Rehearsal Room"...

LU-Brasser
06.04.2003, 02:59
THOMAS R‹EDI!!!

www.thomasruedi.ch

Wonky_Baton
06.04.2003, 03:12
I heard Stephen Mead about 10 years ago and his sound just blew me away. I dont hear top players that much. In our area Paul Robinson from Ever Ready will take some beating but is probably under estimated :roll:

satchmo shaz
06.04.2003, 08:11
Locally......... got to be Lynden cooper from Newstead and of course my brother Carl who plays top euph for Long Eaton!!
BTW he is helping out Frickley for the sheild so cant be that bad!! :wink:

euphemism
06.04.2003, 10:00
Locally......... got to be Lynden cooper from Newstead and of course my brother Carl who plays top euph for Long Eaton!!
BTW he is helping out Frickley for the sheild so cant be that bad!! :wink:

Why thank you Shaz....cheque is in the post

Lynden is a bit of a demi god...

Morgan Griffiths has a great sound - his cd is very good... but most of the 'top' Championship bands have great Euphs

me ..I go for pieces rather than individual players ....and the slow solos do show off sound rather well - Holy Well has been a fave for some time...Meditation....Softly as I Leave...Scared Temple (yep Scared - those 'F's above the stave at the end make it scary !!!

Running around can be fun too

Hey ho - keep blowing.... hope you get news on yer Prestige soon...

sparkling_quavers
06.04.2003, 10:38
Well for me it has to be David Childs. I saw him at a concert in Nottingham a couple of months ago and he was just brilliant!

Mrs Fruity
06.04.2003, 12:57
Geoff Whitham, Trevor Groom, Clive Parker (FAB sounds all)

flashbarry
06.04.2003, 14:29
Hi

David Moore from his Grimethorpe and VB days and Trevor Groom had a great sound and technique, listen to his Resurgam!!! :lol:

Len Withington his rendition of Meditation from Thias a the Granada Band of the Year was stunning what a sound he had, such control!

Flash

flashbarry
06.04.2003, 14:34
Who's the Daddy!!!

Lyndon Baglin, nuff said :roll:

cornetgirl
06.04.2003, 15:13
Geoff Whitham definitely - what a man and he can still play well!

I also rate Morgan Griffiths - on his day he's fantastic.

John Storey - ex Yorkshire Coops and now with Coldstream Guards - is also excellent but not very well known and consequently underestimated.

Rach x

Straightmute
06.04.2003, 15:35
Bill Millar. Ex Wingates and Grimethorpe and now back at Leyland I think. Nothing flashy but the best tone in the business and a superb natural musician.

Of the current top euphs Morgan Griffiths and Michael Dodds are my kind of players.

D

neiltwist
06.04.2003, 16:23
got to be steven mead. have you ever heard him live? can make his euph sound like a trom, at least in style, and can play tune and bass on the same euph. amazing.

i've sat next to david childs, and he is amazing, but has a little way to go yet.

jimothy
06.04.2003, 16:33
i once had the privelege if sitting next to Trevor Groom. He's still got it and is one of the all time greats. Certainly a superior player to Cloughie!!! I think for my money the best of the current crop of euph players has to be a tie between the fantastic Glyn Williams at Fodens and the awesome David Thornton at Dyke.

aimee_euph
06.04.2003, 17:34
Mark Bousie is my favourite. not only is he a excellent euph player, but he is down to earth and friendly bloke and is willing to help anyone especially the youth whereas i find some of the older euph players to be fairly 'unfriendly' so to speak. Plus, mark has played on my euph :P

Natsumi (i can't remember her surname) who plays solo euph at Besses, is amazing. She's tiny and it's unbelievable what sound she can produce. Definately one to look out for because she's just brilliant!

Steven Mead is another of my favourites, but he's like Bob Childs he's been around for a long time, but he's the one everyone likes.

oh, and i'm pretty good too, hehe 8) ;)

Lyndsay
06.04.2003, 19:43
Markus!!!!!!!!!!! :D

Ali
06.04.2003, 20:09
John Collins former member of Britsih Areospace, Todmorden Old and now Dobcross Silver. Colourful language, colourful guy! Oh I almost forgot, he's an excellent player as well!

Brad J
07.04.2003, 00:08
It's hard to get to know these household names over in OZ :) But I'd have to say Morgan Griffiths. His sound is classic, and I hear he's a good bandsman and a very nice bloke. :)

PeterBale
07.04.2003, 08:43
I never cease to be amazed at the high standard of euphonium playing at present. Many's the time I have been listening to a cd and been impressed by a player only to find it is someone I have never heard of!

Further to other comments, of players currently active I have to go along with those who have mentioned Morgan Griffiths for his clarity of tone, and Steven Mead's playing is so versatile, as well as the work he has done in pioneering new repertoire. I think that Nicholas Childs is sometimes overshadowed by Bob, but I have always been impressed by his sound, which never seems to go over the top in the way that others can do occasionally - I think it's a pity he does not play so much these days.

Someone posted previously regarding David Childs, saying he is not there yet - if that is the case, then it's frightening to think where he might end up! I'm off to hear him at the Wigmore Hall tonight, where he is premiering a new Sonata for Euphoinum and Piano by Alun Hodinott, and anything that promotes the euphonium in the wider musical world has got to be a good thing.

Finally, I should like to put in a word for Derrick Kane of the ISB. Maybe stronger in the top and of the range than the bottom, on his day he is still a phenominal player.

BoozyBTrom
07.04.2003, 09:09
Locally it would have to be between Paul Robinson and Andy Marsh both fantastic players.

But if you really want the daddy it has to be Lyndon Baglin. He was a proper Euph player.

sudcornet
07.04.2003, 11:36
Looking at the Northern area, I've got to agree that Robbo is a super player. He was a real asset with British Steel and has blossomed further with Ever Ready. Still got a spot in my hall of fame for Mel Pattisson at EYMS, sweet sound and super technique and she played all the cadenza in Masquerade, which is something a few of the top guys declined to attempt. Got to leave space for a mention of Adam Rutter too, a displaced Northern lad, developing into a real force to be reckoned with.
IMHO,
Sud.

BoozyBTrom
07.04.2003, 11:59
and she played all the cadenza in Masquerade, which is something a few of the top guys declined to attempt.

As did Andy Marsh for us. He was magnificent that day.

Phil Green
07.04.2003, 12:34
For technique I would have to chose Robert Childs, what he can't do on a euph isn't worth doing! He really is (still) amazing.
For sound, the already mentioned Trevor Groom would be my choice. Hearing him in my formative years at GUS was a pleasure seldom bettered banding.
For a mixture of these I'd have to go for our own Glyn Williams, probably the best euphonium instrumentalist around. He still has me wondering "how does he do that?" when accompanying him in his incredible solo's. He's a virtuoso.
Running Glyn very close in my book would be Morgan and Dave Thornton. They both make the instrument sound so easy to play and have warm controlled sounds. Both are fabulous band players and soloists.
Bob Woods, formerly at GUS, is completely under-rated in my opinion.

Phil.
Fodens.

asteria
07.04.2003, 15:54
A very difficult question this, there's so many amazing euph players to choose from!

Of the players past Geoff Whitham is top of my list, i haven't really heard him playing for a long time but he was truly a pioneer of the instrument and an inspiration for me when i was younger.

Morgan Griffiths has got that sound and is a stunning player, probably my favourite at the moment.

Someone mentioned Natsumi (Inaba) earlier, and i have to agree she is one of the most phenomenal players i know - she has the sound, style and technique to take her a long way and she's a wonderful person to know as well, i'm not sure i've ever met a more modest person! :D

Helen

the fish
07.04.2003, 18:57
Got to be Gareth Morgan ex Morris Motors for me.

In his day as good as anyone in the country, and a thouroughly nice chap who was always willing to help and certainly tought me plenty.

Sadly Gareth died in February of this year, a great loss to banding :cry:

Of the current excellent crop of Euph players my favourite is Glyn Williams of Fodens.

Julian

skins
08.04.2003, 00:00
I reckon the Judge would deserve a mention

And Duggy in case he gets upset..................but not so sure about the earlier post for Markus "one village"!!!

Keppler: Deleted duplicate posting.

billbrass
09.04.2003, 22:47
:D No one can beat Trevor Groom for me I was asked to play 2nd euph to Trevor some ten year ago when he guested for Stamford Brass I had only come back to banding after being abroad for ten years and was playing for the B band but the regular Euph players were on holiday and shift work, so I was asked to make my debut for the Senior band sat down to the great Trevor Groom.

It was quite a heavy programme with Dance of the tumblers and Procession to the minster I was in a dream for all of the programme every note Trevor played was musical even if the bar had just a crotchet.

At the end of the programme Trevor turned to me, shook my hand and thanked me for my help I was totally gobsmacked that the great Trevor Groom was thanking me for helping him, a more modest man I have never met in the banding world.

Some ten year later I rejoined Stamford band and Trevor was the
conductor ,when I walked into the bandroom for my first reheasal the band manager took me over to introduce me toTrevor who immediatly
said hello Bill you played down to me some 10yr ago and played your heart out, again I was totally gobsmacked that Trevor should remember me after ten yrs but was pleased to hear that I had come back on 3rd cornet and that I was a very brave man seeing I was in my sixties. So for me there is only one Euph player I wonder why!!!!!!

billbrass

neiltwist
09.04.2003, 23:46
it seems to me that this could be split into 2 threads:

the euph players who awe you, (like my choice, stephen mead), whom many people know because they are so good.

the euph players who leave a mark on many people (like my sister[aimee euph]'s choice Mark Bousie, who I can verify is everything she says and more), but because they are modest, are never quite recognised at the very top.

both are excellent, but I don't think that the second type get anywhere near enough recognition.

a drunken Neil.

:guiness

Brian
10.04.2003, 11:39
Only one..Geof Whitham..Since I heard him with Dyke at the Royal Albert Hall in 1959, and he's still not been bettered...but a very close 2nd..Robert Childs, then Morgan Griffiths

DaveK
11.04.2003, 13:14
Looking at the Northern area, I've got to agree that Robbo is a super player. He was a real asset with British Steel and has blossomed further with Ever Ready. Still got a spot in my hall of fame for Mel Pattisson at EYMS, sweet sound and super technique and she played all the cadenza in Masquerade, which is something a few of the top guys declined to attempt. Got to leave space for a mention of Adam Rutter too, a displaced Northern lad, developing into a real force to be reckoned with.
IMHO,
Sud.

Have to agree with this one, I was gobsmacked to hear this girl for the first time at the RAH, she was really impressive with a great sound and a nerve of steel.

WorldofBrass.com
11.04.2003, 15:44
I have some Grimethorpe CD's of 1990's vintage (A Night at the Opera,Wilby etc).
The solo euphonium at that time was Robin Taylor.
You will hear some most musical euphonium playing on those.
I understand that he is with the RAF Central Band now.

PeterBale
11.04.2003, 16:42
I have some Grimethorpe CD's of 1990's vintage (A Night at the Opera,Wilby etc).
The solo euphonium at that time was Robin Taylor.
You will hear some most musical euphonium playing on those.
I understand that he is with the RAF Central Band now.

He also produced a very striking cd entitled "Metaeuphosis" where he is accompanied not by band or piano but by various electronic music. It might sound as if it would not be very listener-friendly but it is certainly thought-provoking, with some very fine playing throughout - well worth hearing if you get the chance.

ali_rep@no
14.04.2003, 11:15
Claire Parkyn rules!!! :wink:

www.stdennisband.co.uk

Nat
15.04.2003, 16:15
My favorite player is dan cox of eveready!! :D

BoozyBTrom
15.04.2003, 16:18
OOOO Dans got a fan!!!!!!!!!

Will let him know at rehersal on thurs.

Caveman Dan
17.04.2003, 23:43
Cheers Nat! The cheque's in the post. :lol:

I've got a 1996 CD of Grimey when their solo euph was Mike Kilroy. I don't think I've heard him play anywhere else, but anyway there's some great playing going in. He does Carnival Cocktail on it, excellent sound. Whatever happened to him, is he still playing?

spookybiking
25.04.2003, 14:06
david thornton for dyke, i seen them in concert in st davids hall a while back and the solo's he played we amazing. he made it look so easy.
i'm to used to hearing david childs and the carnival vencie now, accomp him wednesday with the greater gwent band with his dad conducting.

ted
26.04.2003, 16:41
Down here in Australia we have a few euphonium players who will give the principle euphos in the UK a run for their money.

Riki McDonnell (he's a kiwi)
Mark Howcroft
Joe Cook

- Ted from Down Under

You wanna blow my what?
27.04.2003, 02:05
david thornton for dyke, i seen them in concert in st davids hall a while back and the solo's he played we amazing. he made it look so easy.

Was that the concert I played in?! :P he was amazing!

David Childs is pretty awesome, considering his age! He's coming to our college next year apparently, scary!

Nat
30.04.2003, 16:04
we met him at a band course- he was a tutor- hes a nice guy and a good player

BoozyBTrom
30.04.2003, 16:51

I've got a 1996 CD of Grimey when their solo euph was Mike Kilroy. I don't think I've heard him play anywhere else, but anyway there's some great playing going in. He does Carnival Cocktail on it, excellent sound. Whatever happened to him, is he still playing?

According to barsrest Mike Kilroy is Solo Euph at Desford

Boneman
30.04.2003, 21:23
I think I would go for Stephen Mead as the best 'all rounder'

With a special mention for Morgan Griffiths for his lovely sound and also for Nick Childs - I once heard him play the cadenza in Dances and Arias - and it was an amazing moment!

I am suprised that some of the older euphs haven't got a mention - John Clough and Stephen Lord?

You wanna blow my what?
01.05.2003, 02:50
we met him at a band course- he was a tutor- hes a nice guy and a good player

yeah, he was on my first NYBBW course, and he's meant to be taking over lessons from his dad for a while at college, I've not had one with him yet, it'd be too weird!

Caveman Dan
01.05.2003, 12:57
According to barsrest Mike Kilroy is Solo Euph at Desford

Ahhhh, well spotted sir! Quite remarkable. I think that deserves a nomination for tMP Banding Boffin award... 8)

ComeBlowMyHorn
05.05.2003, 14:47
I know Im goin to be biased but bein in band with Dave Thornton makes me realise how amazing he really is.......it's very rarely I hear him put a foot wrong on stage or in rehearsal.

Also Glyn Williams is another fine player, and started off in the same band as I did, bein the Menai Bridge Town Band!!

crackin stuff :D

imthemaddude
05.05.2003, 16:28
David Thornton is very good and I heard he does a fair little bit of that magic word called practice too - not that he needs too much! I must say he comes from Dudley Music Services years and years ago and so was I :) so its good to know we can produce at least one good musician!!!!!

Aidan
08.05.2003, 18:53
I know Im goin to be biased but bein in band with Dave Thornton makes me realise how amazing he really is.......it's very rarely I hear him put a foot wrong on stage or in rehearsal.

Also Glyn Williams is another fine player, and started off in the same band as I did, bein the Menai Bridge Town Band!!

crackin stuff :D
boc

MoominDave
08.05.2003, 19:03
There's an enormous cylinder of liquid Nitrogen outside my office window at work with BOC on in immense red letters!

Dave

You wanna blow my what?
08.05.2003, 21:28
I just have to say......

today in college band we were practising for our weekend trip to Cornwall.....WELL. We're doing a Carnival of Venice with (none other than!) Dr Bob Childs......

WOW. It'll never get old! I couldn't concentrate on playing!

Aidan
09.05.2003, 11:09
There's an enormous cylinder of liquid Nitrogen outside my office window at work with BOC on in immense red letters!

Dave
HAHA dave :D
you'll have to get us a photo!

asteria
09.05.2003, 13:29
Always makes me smile when i pass the BOC factory in salford ever since chris pointed it out! :lol:

Helen

HBB
09.05.2003, 13:32
Sorry to sound really dumb ...... but what's a"boc?"

ben

;)

You wanna blow my what?
09.05.2003, 14:11
A gas company.

satchmo shaz
09.05.2003, 16:21

ben

;) thought you would have seen earlier threads on this.........
......... boring old **** :o

euphemism
10.05.2003, 09:40

ben

...codger ......??????? :lol: :lol:

satchmo shaz
10.05.2003, 10:03

ben

...codger ......??????? :lol: :lol: something similar carl! :lol:

jimothy
01.06.2003, 09:21

hmmmmm. your top third cornet player is pretty damned fine too! but don't tell him i said so.

Aidan
01.06.2003, 13:18
McGooooooo?

jimothy
01.06.2003, 17:55
NO! NO! NO!
i said the top third cornet player, McGoo is only the bottom third cornet player

Aidan
01.06.2003, 22:55
rats :) he must be *beepety beep beep beep* then

kimmy
02.06.2003, 10:03
well in my opinion there are loads of good euph players out there. :D Can't say i have an absolute favourtite but one of my favourite is Ste Miles (B&R) he is my teacher so i could be seen as being a little buyest. :roll: I heard him at the masters and he sounded top. What a classy sound and range. WOW lol :o

Bill millar is also fantastic. His upper register is amazing and his tone.....
David Thornton - need i say more
Steven Mead
Glyn Williams -amazing
David Childs
Bob childs

there's loads more but thses are jus a few that i'm sure everyone agrees are pretty damn good players :!: :)

jimothy
02.06.2003, 21:49
rats :) he must be *beepety beep beep beep* then
Nah, I think he's more likely to be Irish! :D

Aidan
03.06.2003, 08:59
whats wrong with being irish? ;)

Keppler
03.06.2003, 10:25
yes, do tell...

jimothy
03.06.2003, 18:36
Read my previous post carefully.

Did I make any pejorative comment about being Irish?

Did I suggest that there is anything wrong with being Irish?

I said that McGoo "is more likely to be Irish".

If my post has caused any offence to Irish people I apologize very sincerely. I know many Irish people who are all great mates. I know McGoo personally and he is an absolutely terrific guy and a far better musician than I could ever aspire to be.

I did not say, suggest or otherwise intimate that there is anything wrong with being Irish. I do not have any anti-Irish views. The population is divided into three categories which I list in no particular order:-

1. people who play in brass bands
2. people who ride motorcycles
3. everybody else

Keppler
03.06.2003, 18:42
hey mate - don't be so defensive..

to be honest - I couldn't be bothered checking back a page to see what the original comment was..
looking back - I didn't understand it then, and I still don't understand it now..

oh well..

anyway - one of those things where you need tone of voice. No offence was taken.

You wanna blow my what?
04.06.2003, 13:51
NO! NO! NO!
i said the top third cornet player, McGoo is only the bottom third cornet player

Yeah Arfs, whoever was on principal when I played with your band was fine :D

Aidan
04.06.2003, 13:54
ben?

lol jimmy ;) keppy's right.. we were only pullin yer leg :D hence the ";)"
us irish know we're thick as planks really..

You wanna blow my what?
04.06.2003, 13:58
Might be! He had black spikey hair. I couldn't really see that far!

Aidan
04.06.2003, 13:59
dark brown.. and probably :)

You wanna blow my what?
04.06.2003, 14:27
Black....dark brown....it's all the same!

Aidan
05.06.2003, 14:19
if your eyes work in greyscale.. yes

You wanna blow my what?
05.06.2003, 21:03
Um, err, which they do! :oops:

Aidan
06.06.2003, 16:02
o ... :roll:

jackyboy
06.06.2003, 20:50
Apart from the obvious "stars" of the euph world , a few of our local guys were / are rather good.
Gary Walters , Lyndon Cooper and Les Beresford all played a mean euph in my opinion. Probably the best in the area on their day :D

iancwilx
08.06.2003, 00:02
Lyndon Baglyn, Geoff Whittam, David Moore, Dennis Smith, Ian Craddock - All great Eupho's from the 60's - but a really great player was Tom Gomersall, ex Welsh Guards and Yorkshire Imps - No longer with us, but a superb musician and a fine gentleman - it was an honour to have been a fellow band member .
I must mention Norman Kilvington of Leeds Model Band who played the Euph Solo in "Le Roi D'Ys" flawlessly and with style on at least 12 occasions during their own choice "Clean up" in the 60's under Peter Kitson.

Euph-Bari
08.06.2003, 00:09
i havn't really heard geoff whitham play - he is my teacher
but from what i've heard he was amazing

jonford
15.06.2003, 22:48
Just heard Mark Bousie, absolutly amazing! Never heard him properley until tonight. Also David Thornton, Natzumi Inba and Steven Mead are great in my opinion at the moment

PeterBale
16.06.2003, 08:26
Had the opportunity to hear Aaron VanderWeele with the Salvation Army's New York Staff Band while they were over here on tour a couple of weeks ago. I've got a cd he did in Australia a few years back, where his technique was good, but sound less so. Over here this time his tone is much rounder, although not so full a sound as must UK players. His technique, however, is phenomenal, across the whole range of the instrument. He was featured in a new solo specially written for the tour by Stephen Bulla - Air 'N Variations, replete with pedal notes, plenty of "black notes" and a top F finish. Both in our own hall and at the Royal Albert hall he went down very well.

newoleahcim
16.06.2003, 13:00
I couldn't agree more with Peter's post regarding the big American. He cartainly wowed the audience with some tremendous running passages and his sound was full without being overly bearing.

Two 'up-and-comings' I'd mention....both of which in the Salvation Army.
Michael Stayner - principal euphonium of Bexleyheath, and Dean Jones, principal of Staines. Both of whom play with personality and a great zest for their instrument.

stickytrigger
16.06.2003, 15:27
i have to say that graham lawrence, formerly of the isb and boscombe sa band and now principle euph with woodfalls, is very good and a lovely man and does a mean bbq...

greatcheese
16.06.2003, 18:19
Anyone mention Mike Kilroy??

newoleahcim
18.06.2003, 16:47
I can't believe that thus far we have had no mention of ISB legend, Derick Kane. After circa 30 years of being in the SA's premier band, he is still at the top of his game. Listen to 'Bravura' on their new CD and you'll see what I mean.

PeterBale
18.06.2003, 17:04
...no mention of Derrick Kane...

You must have missed this one:

Finally, I should like to put in a word for Derrick Kane of the ISB. Maybe stronger at the top end of the range than the bottom, on his day he is still a phenomenal player.

I remember when Derrick came down from Scotland to join the ISB in the 1970's and everyone was asking who this relatively unknown player was. Well he's still there, and holding his own with the best of them.

blondie
19.06.2003, 12:54
I always thought that the Childs Brothers whether together or on their own, were the best euph players there were. But reading this thread has certainly opened my eyes to othere talented players so thanks for the insight folks and I shall be keeping an eye and ear out for them.

Despot
20.06.2003, 12:08
My favourite euph player?

ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :twisted:

But I must say I most admire the Child brothers. :)

iancwilx
20.06.2003, 12:52
Back in Ancient Times !!! :- Bert Sullivan - GUS
Bob Davidson - Briggus
Benny Lowery - Grimey
Harry Wilkinson - Markham Main

madandcrazytromboneguy
24.06.2003, 14:07
u cud say this is a bit biassed coz they r both my m8s but 1 of the best euph players ive heard is ian coleman, he currently plays solo Eb bass with hebden bridge, and 1 of the best teenaged euph players ive heard is rick cowens, currently 2nd euph with hebden bridge, he's also a good baritone player.

cya both at brighouse marches, CliVE

Euph-Bari
24.06.2003, 14:13
Clive don't be giving rick a big head!! won't do him any good at all! :P

i also have to say Morgan Griffiths aswell - 1st time i heard him when he helped us out for a compertition the other year - Class!

madandcrazytromboneguy
24.06.2003, 14:23
there is this other good teenaged euph player called jerram stead, but we'd better not mention him 2 much, might give him a big head, and we wudnt wanna do that now wud we?!, lol, cya at brig J, CliVE

Euph-Bari
24.06.2003, 14:42
clive you make me blush :oops: :lol:
don't deserve that

BobRalston
03.07.2003, 12:37
I too have heard Michael Stayner from BexleyHeath. Originally from Canada, I understand he is returning home soon. A great loss to the UK band community and one to watch for in the future!

Gig
09.07.2003, 11:40
Loads of good Euphs about.

I was lucky enough to sit next to Barry Perrin/s? for a while - wonderful player.

Lyndon Baglin in his prime is, for me, the best I have heard and one unsung name is Rob Woods - last time I heard he was with Ransomes.

Gig

scjb
10.07.2003, 13:02
1. Steven Mead - without a doubt
2. Morgan Griffiths - superb sound!
3. Shoichiro Hokazono - if you've never heard of him - find a CD & have a listen - or see him at the Tuba/Euph conferences..

iggmeister
10.07.2003, 13:36
My favourite euphonium player is Melanie Sykes. I'm sure I seen her on telly with an instrument to her lips, (oo-er!).

My other favourite euph player is Brittany Spears although I haven't a clue if she can play All those Endearing Young Charms!

Igg

Aidan
10.07.2003, 14:16
brittany plays euph?

she has nice lips :wink: :roll: :roll:

johnflugel
11.07.2003, 15:52
My favourite Euph is Steven Mead. One minute you hear this amazing symphonic tenor tuba then next minute a very lyrical traditional band 'style'. Anyone heard his 'Masquerade' with CWS at the 1999 Euros?.....amazing!

Some 'unknowns' have been thrown into the ring here, take a look and have a listen to the Euph section of the Canadian Staff Band. Two younger guys with amazing ability. Rob Miller (principal) is still relatively new to the instrument (after spending a number of years on horn I believe) and Dave Moulton (his bumper up) is another fine player who spent some time in the UK working within the SA's music department.

markyboy
20.07.2003, 00:29
I have to say well done to our normally 2nd Euph player (and tMP member John Smith) aka JonnyEuph who gave a top class permormance tonight having being upgraded to Solo Euph whilst Foxy is away on his hols in Spain. Best moment was in Vitae Lux were top Ds were ringing out beautifuly.
Tommorow night I believe Euph-Bari's older brother Jolyan is making a much welcomed return to the band but I'm sure he will match John's performance this evening. Well done again Smithy!!
My nominations for fave Euph players would be David Childs, not only for his playing but his serious health problems which are not always made public. (perhaps I may be out of turn saying that) sorry if I am.
Amd Morgan Griffiths possibly the best contest performer I have ever heard. Never has a bad day. You dont much from the conductor who ousted him from a certain band these days do we ?

Euph-Bari
20.07.2003, 08:52
JolyOn :wink: :P

Seedhouse
20.07.2003, 10:36
My nominations for fave Euph players would be David Childs, not only for his playing but his serious health problems which are not always made public. (perhaps I may be out of turn saying that) sorry if I am.

What are David Childs' serious health problems?! Technical brilliance at an early age? :lol: Hope its nothing serious though! :? :(

markyboy
20.07.2003, 11:10
Spelling mistake noted Jerram! (sorry Jolyon) I've only known him for about 4 years. Why cant you 2 have normal names that are easy to spell?

IckleSop
20.07.2003, 11:51
Ive gotta say Nick Childs is outstanding, the only euph player that has made me cry thou is Principal Euph for Tintwistle, His sound is so sweet and his technical playing is so light and bouncy hes incredible!

Euph-Bari
20.07.2003, 16:25
Spelling mistake noted Jerram! (sorry Jolyon) I've only known him for about 4 years. Why cant you 2 have normal names that are easy to spell?

hehez - we must have strange parents :P

McChambo
22.07.2003, 10:57
David Childs. Nice bloke, superb player.

Someone mentioned John Storey? He was a stunning player when I knew him at Huddersfield Uni. Not bad on trombone either.

There's been no mention of Scottish euph players yet. We too have great euph players up here. Evelyn Bradley (Whitburn) being my unbiased favourite.

Also, there's a young lad in Aberdeen (Bon Accord Silver) called Richard Kidd. I think he's only 16 or 17, but he's really, really good! :shock: Makes me sick!!

Mr Smiler
22.07.2003, 13:06
Another vote for Trevor Groom - not only for his brilliant playing skills (which he still has today - he helped our band out a couple of weeks ago) and immense sound, but also for the fact that he is a really nice chap and a good teacher. Where do you think Steven Mead learnt to play like that?

I think its impossible to compare players nowadays with those from a few years ago. Today's players have moved on imensely in terms of their technical ability and there are many potential greats about even in the (dare I say) not so high profile bands. What will make them truly great will be whether they stand the test of time.

To ask a contentious question: with so many superb professionals about though, why hasn't the euphonium gained more of a reputation outside the confines of the brass and wind bands?

Brian Kelly
15.09.2003, 00:24
I know I am coming to this a bit late, but I have only just joined, so here goes:

From back when I wer' a lad: the great John Clough, and a vote for the apparently forgotten Peter Wise of Hendon and Enfield SA bands and the Band of the Horse Guards :D

Then the incredible two and only Childs brothers :D

Now that I in my dotage: the two Davids, Thornton and Childs :D

Andy_Euph
15.09.2003, 17:28
I think that probably the best players around at the moment have to be David Childs and David Thornton although Steven Mead is absolutely out of this world, technique and sound wise.

Another good player is Paul Robinson at Ever Ready, he has a traditional sound that is just fantasic.

However my "favourite" player has to be Morgan Griffiths... just superb :!: :D

floral_dance
15.09.2003, 21:29
I was on a long drive for work today and listened to Childs play on the CD, they are incredible. Is David Childs related to the Childs brother, not coming from that part of the world I don't know these things. :?

Seedhouse
15.09.2003, 22:43
David Child's is the son of Bob (Robert) Childs.
Nick is David's uncle and Bob's brother, and Lisa Childs is David's sister. David, Lisa, and Bob are all in the Cory band. Nick conducts Black Dyke.
Does that make sense?

Each of the Childs' are phenomenal euphonium players! :shock: 8)
I've also heard many good things about Lisa (who is a cornet player), a friend of mine is having lessons from her.

Music obviously runs in their blood! :D

It'd be cool if David, Nick and Bob (even Lisa as well!) did a CD together wouldn't it? :P

hellraiser
16.09.2003, 00:47
No one's mentioned Ceri John from Burry Port who is an excellent player (used to play with Dyke I think?)

leisa
16.09.2003, 08:20
Hiya I'd have to say the best ones I've heard is definatly Dave Thornton!!! He is amazing! David Childs is also brilliant as is Bob and Nicholas! :)

MattB
16.09.2003, 08:22
ME!!!

LOL!

PeterBale
16.09.2003, 09:14
It'd be cool if David, Nick and Bob (even Lisa as well!) did a CD together wouldn't it? :P [/b]

I do recall seeing some advance publicity of a planned recording of duets to be played by Bob and David, with Nick conducting, but I don't know whether it is one of those projects that will ever come to fruition.

Having just heard David and Nigel John play "Calon Lan" at Birmingham, not to mention the duet in "Revelation" at the Europeans, it would be good to hear them record some duets.

floral_dance
16.09.2003, 09:35
Thank you Seedhouse, that makes sense :)

Seedhouse
16.09.2003, 10:28
It's ok, always happy to help a fellow tmp-er! :D

beard_4b
16.09.2003, 11:17
Salvaion Army:

derick kane of the ISB!
andrew sage of cardiff canton band!

Non-army:

Bob Childs, Nick Childs and Dave Childs!

BeatTheSheep
18.09.2003, 14:57
No one's mentioned Ceri John from Burry Port who is an excellent player (used to play with Dyke I think?)

Think it was YBS, not Dyke. He can sing when he has to as well. :twisted:

Steve
10.11.2003, 11:37
Steven Mead is (in my eyes) a class apart. M.Griffiths, D.Thornton, B.Childs, N.Childs, G.Williams, S.Miles are all wonderful wonderful players but Mr Mead is super special. A friend who knows most of them very well was talking about this with me last night and while they are all great Steve Mead is a complete perfectionist. He will practice every semi-quaver until it is spot on and is not happy unless it is 200% perfect everytime. Pause for thought.......Does the being the best soloist make you the best player?!?!?! A big part of playing is sorting your section and I know several top players who arent great section leaders/team players but great when they are on their feet. Dave Childs will eclipse them all though, he is a scary scary player (in the nicest possible meaning of scary).

Dave Euph
10.11.2003, 16:40
I thought Liz Grosvenor of EYMS was pretty good when she was my teacher, but I reckon David Childs has the edge on most of the other top euph players. Heh, if Dave Thornton reads this he'll probs kill me in my next lesson. :lol:

jamie the euph
10.11.2003, 23:07
I think that the greatest euphonium player of all time has to be Lyndon Bagelyn with out any doubt at all!Heard his live performance on Le Roy Dy's and carnival romain absoloutely amazin!

but i think who the best current player is tough and i think that it is close between three players!

Glyn Williams Fodens
Morgan Griffiths Faireys
Dave Thornton Black dyke

(there in no particular order)

Seedhouse
11.11.2003, 10:28
It's interesting that most peoples favourite players are Euph players in the top bands.
I'm not saying there not brilliant, because I think they are, its just interesting.
Can't wait till the Tuba/ Euph festival this weekend! Loadsa wicked euph players under one roof! :D :P

jimothy
11.11.2003, 21:41
it has to be Trevpr Groom, followed by the amazing David Mason.

JonP
12.11.2003, 18:20
For me it ha to be David Thornton. He is the most dedicated player I have ever come accross. Ive worked with most of the "Great" Euph players either in a student capacity or more recently in bands, and, for me David has to be the overall strongest player. In my opinion he is as good if not better than any of his contemporarys and more senior collegeues, and has the wonderful talent of being able to play in tune with an orchestra as well as a band. This is a skill very rare to find even among the top banders, who find it very diffucult to adapt out of the band tuning. (if you ever sit in a great orchestra you will know what i mean!!)

Sorry dave if ive embarrased you but thought id get my 2 penneth worth in. :oops:

Mike S
01.12.2003, 16:27
Cloughie - that is, John Clough who sat with Dyke on principal euphonium many years ago and was absolutely brilliant. Still to be bettered, in my opinion, by the latest "great" players such as David Thornton and David Childs and his father and uncle - though all these players come a close second to Cloughie

Rob
01.12.2003, 16:45
Just to put my two pence worth in, I've played with all the present-day players that have been mentioned here and for overall playing I think Dave Thornton is a country mile ahead of the rest, plus one of the most dedicated and hard-working players I've ever met.

Cheers

BrassNeil
02.12.2003, 22:42
Had the joy of sharing a curry with glyn Williams one night in Ayr after a concert and having enjoyed his playing immensly enjoyed his company even more. Remember well listening to On Alderly Edge at RAHand with all the stars in the Euph seats two underrated players shone for me. Lisa James (Redbridge) and David Laughland (Kirkintilloch at the time)

stephenmrry
03.06.2006, 14:24
For me it would have yo be Glyn Williams David Childs and David Thronton! The three of them are just for me amazing instrumentalists! Not really a follower of Steven Mead but heard some of his stuff and he is awesome as well!!

ian perks
03.06.2006, 14:30
3/4 for me:
Nick Childs, Bob Childs,David Childs &Glyn Williams with David Thornton next on the list

TheMusicMan
03.06.2006, 15:02
I suppose this totally depends on who you have heard playing the Euphonium. I have to say that there's not many players around who can beat the sound and technique of Mark Hutchinson (BTM). I know Mark won the British Open Solo Championships a few years ago, or at least was up there in the top two or three on several occasions.

Great player...

KMJ Recordings
03.06.2006, 15:39
Me ;)

euphfanhan
03.06.2006, 15:52
Dave Thornton all the way. Anyone who heard him play Devil's Duel at Leeds last week will know why! :eek:

cujo_134
03.06.2006, 16:27
My vote would have to go to David Childs, mostly because of his sound, it stuns me everytime I listen to it.

jingleram
03.06.2006, 16:28
I do recall seeing some advance publicity of a planned recording of duets to be played by Bob and David, with Nick conducting, but I don't know whether it is one of those projects that will ever come to fruition.

Seems you were right Peter! This cd has jsut been released - Music is my First Love http://www.midland-cd-club.co.uk/details.asp?ref=1704
In terms of players, I'm not quite sure, I've long admired Derick Kane, but hearing him again last night playing 'Better World' at Norman Bearcroft's 80th Celebrations, I ws blown away! He truly is a phenomenal player, superb technical, and has simply the best euphonium sound of any player I've heard. He brought new life to this 30 year old solo, even adding his own extended cadence which surprised Norman lol! Fantastic guy to boot, modest as anything!

langley_euph
03.06.2006, 19:06
the childs family are obviously all fantastic players but dave childs really stands out for me and im not saying that just because he's my teacher lol!
Steven Mead is fab too! some of the things they can do is mind boggling!
Im enjoying listening to Jukka Myllys at the moment - his sound is sound different to the others and he has great technique too. One to watch out for!

Forest Gump
03.06.2006, 22:16
seen lyndon baglin many times,what a tone,the best.
another great forest export:clap:

TheMusicMan
03.06.2006, 22:21
seen lyndon baglin many times,what a tone,the best.
another great forest export:clap:Yes, must agree with that comment about Lyndon. Not sure what/if he's playing now, but I played with him for a short time at Sun Life and he was simply awesome. A class act indeed.

Lyndon... where are you now?

Forest Gump
03.06.2006, 22:31
Yes, must agree with that comment about Lyndon. Not sure what/if he's playing now, but I played with him for a short time at Sun Life and he was simply awesome. A class act indeed.

Lyndon... where are you now?

hav'nt heard much about him lately,i now stuarts doing well on eflat at polysteel though

TheMusicMan
03.06.2006, 22:42
Stuart - I see you are located in Drybrook... do you play for them? Reason I ask is that when I was in Harrogate last year, I found myself taking snaps and speaking to several bands as they came off stage and I am sure I took one of two ladies from Drybrook.

Were you there?

Forest Gump
03.06.2006, 22:50
sorry i play for berry hill, i know a few people at drybrook though and have help them out a few times

TheMusicMan
03.06.2006, 22:51
These two?

Bass Trumpet
03.06.2006, 22:54
Read a few of the posts on here. I definately prefer some of the old school players. Trevor Groom - what a star, and he's still playing so beautifully after all these years. I conducted Soham Comrades for a while and Trevor came over to dep for us. Lyndon Baglin, I believe is playing Eb bass for Aldbourne, but don't quote me on that.

For my money, John Clough was great. Unlike a lot of his contemporaries, he had so much control and was not afraid to play with differing degrees of vibrato. Just listen to all those old Dyke recordings for a real lesson to us all in musicality.:clap:

Forest Gump
03.06.2006, 23:03
These two?
sorry dont know those two young ladies try visiting there excelent web site at http:www.drybrookband.com/ and contact dave harding

kjm
09.06.2006, 11:27
I'd say Billy Millar...excellent sound and completely effortless...

Kerwintootle
09.06.2006, 11:44
Bob, Nick and David Childs
Mike Kilroy
Riki McDonnell

dickyg
09.06.2006, 15:14
Mike Killroy is the only Euph player I've seen do a flawless solo for a BBC recording with a hangover from hell!!!!!

Go Killer!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ellie
09.06.2006, 15:58
Hi
I going to nominate a young man i had the pleasure of being in youth band with exceptional Euph player and throughly decent bloke, Jeff Bell principal Euph with Fishburn.

ekimmort
09.06.2006, 20:54
My favourite Euphonium Player "Stephen Boyes" HM Royal Marines.

brassneck
10.06.2006, 00:57
My favourite Euphonium Player "Stephen Boyes" HM Royal Marines.

- has Steve signed for any brass band in his locality yet since he returned to the Marines?

roncarr
10.06.2006, 20:58
Lyndon Baglin and John Clough

Andy_Euph
13.06.2006, 00:06
After having lessons with the guy I have to say Bill Millar is fantastic! The guy has everything, style, technique and is one of the most down to earth people you'll ever meet...there is literally nothing he can't do.

Bill...you're the guv'nor!

bassbonebroughton
13.06.2006, 01:51
I would have to say Derick Kane is my favourite euph. I just find that his sound is so calm and gentle. I have never heard any sound like it, and I have cds of Dave Childs, Steven Mead, Dave Thornton, and the Childs brothers.

ophicliede
13.06.2006, 08:47
There are sooooo many! Charlie Shipp(Cambridge), Lyndon Baglin(Manchester CWS), Gareth Morgan(Morris Motors), Barrie Perrins(Hendon), Stephen Thornton(Dyke), Billy Millar(Leyland), David Childs(Cory), Robert Childs(Dyke), David Moore(Grimethorpe), Tom Gommersall(.......), Bert Sullivan (GUS), Trevor Groom(GUS), Derick Kane(SA), Andy Hicks(Army), ...... Stark (Broxburn), Steven Mead(Desford), Peter Wise(Army), Barry Wassell(Army), John Winterflood(Army), Robin Taylor(RAF). Terry Jennings (Bristol), Nick Childs(Dyke) Riki (Southern Hemisphere), Wayne Rooney OOPS!!

Jan H
13.06.2006, 09:03
I was having a discussion with someone last weekend about Stef Pillaert.
We came to the conclusion that he's the "Peter Roberts of the euphonium" (if you understand what I mean ;-) )

KMJ Recordings
01.11.2006, 13:54
I've just been listening to the Kings of Brass CD for the first time in ages - Mssrs Clough, Groom, Baglin and Lord playing Philip Sparke's arrangement of Mozart's Ave Verum.....it's stonking!

I wish the arrangement had been around when I was playing :D

JohnnyEuph
01.11.2006, 13:58
Easy... ME!

2nd man down
01.11.2006, 14:26
Foxy Jen at The Emley of course! :biggrin:

Lawrencediana
01.11.2006, 14:33
Marcuss Cutts, Graham McEvoy, and a current tmper Martyn Patterson one of the cheekiest guys there is but a very good player. (by the way where's my music)

Mr_Euniverse
01.11.2006, 17:47
Why thank you you gent! I was going to put ME down myself but that would have been REALLY SAD!!!!
Oh yeah, I have still got your solo portfolio!! Oops!
PM or email me your address
Heard you've parted company with SWT, where to now?
Long time no see

Bass Man
02.11.2006, 03:16
Derek Kane has always been m favourite

Lawrencediana
02.11.2006, 09:48
Why thank you you gent! I was going to put ME down myself but that would have been REALLY SAD!!!!
Oh yeah, I have still got your solo portfolio!! Oops!
PM or email me your address
Heard you've parted company with SWT, where to now?
Long time no see

You are welcome, I'm no longer playing but stick wagging.

I was very lucky to have Tom Gomersal as my No.2 for a while. He was a real gent. and even though he was in the late stages of his playing career still a force to be reckoned with.

AndyFlugel
02.11.2006, 15:50
I still, personally, consider Derek Kane to be amongst the best

brassneck
02.11.2006, 22:57
... David Moore from his Grimethorpe and VB days ...

- got to agree that David Moore was an exception during this period. Was light years ahead in sound and technique. The daddy of modern euph playing in my opinion!

BbBill
02.11.2006, 23:29
Lyndon Baglin is my favourite, Ive a tremdous respect for him and have known him for a few yours now, mainly through the NYBBS courses, (where he is still the current Euph/bari tutor). He came down to Campbeltown years ago as guest soloist, his playing blew everybody away, he also did a masterclass too, which was great for the kids, and he's great at telling jokes too, (even tho theyre prob not that funny!), its the way he tells them, he'll still have you in stiches!!!

Alison Bonner (Scottish Co-op) I would say, has been the best in Scotland for a few years now, but Richard Kidd (Whitburn) is catching her up!

And of course, all the ones said previously too!

umpy
18.02.2007, 13:20
Playing euphonium is a piece of cake, which anyone who has lips and fingers can do. Discussing who is the best euphonium player is as interesting as discussing who is best at sleeping.

2nd trom virtuoso
18.02.2007, 13:48
David Thorntan and Steven Mead, both so secure and with amazing range!

2nd trom virtuoso
18.02.2007, 13:50
Playing euphonium is a piece of cake, which anyone who has lips and fingers can do. Discussing who is the best euphonium player is as interesting as discussing who is best at sleeping.

True, euph is an easier instrument to play but would never underestimate some euphonium players out there.

umpy
18.02.2007, 13:57
If I would have to pick one, it would have been Rune Johansen whom I heard when I visited Bergen last weekend.

Dave Euph
18.02.2007, 16:44
Not too long ago I heard a recording of Finnish euphonium player Jukka Myllis (not quite sure of the spelling) playing the Linkola Euph Concerto. If I had to choose a favourite euph player now I would find it so difficult, Jukka has one of the biggest and warmest sounds I have ever heard and with a quite unbelievable top register (in fact, the entire range).

Definately right up there.

agentorange
21.02.2007, 19:35

That's like saying anyone with legs is good at running. Just because you think playing the euph is a piece of cake doesn't mean that some players aren't better than others!! Not interesting? I see you found it interesing enough to reply to . By the way, how many olympic medals have you won?.......
Thought so.

brasscrest
21.02.2007, 19:41
Currently, Steven Mead. Not just a great player, but also a rather humble and self-effacing person, in my experience.

Historically, Trevor Groom. Sooooooo smooth.:)

critic
21.02.2007, 19:50

YES HE IS SOLO EUPH WITH DESFORD

pocket euphonium90
21.02.2007, 20:46
for me its michael dodd (grimethorpe) and steven mead. michael well coz hes my teacher (possible biased hmm...) and a really great person as well as fantastic euph players, and steven coz... well hes just amazing

Martyn_Thomas
21.02.2007, 22:11
My two favourites:

Historically, Josh Walford - pure traditional tone and technique.

Today, Derrick Kane - self assured, adaptable and exciting to listen to.

rebecca
21.02.2007, 22:52
There are sooooo many! Charlie Shipp(Cambridge), Lyndon Baglin(Manchester CWS), Gareth Morgan(Morris Motors), Barrie Perrins(Hendon), Stephen Thornton(Dyke), Billy Millar(Leyland), David Childs(Cory), Robert Childs(Dyke), David Moore(Grimethorpe), Tom Gommersall(.......), Bert Sullivan (GUS), Trevor Groom(GUS), Derick Kane(SA), Andy Hicks(Army), ...... Stark (Broxburn), Steven Mead(Desford), Peter Wise(Army), Barry Wassell(Army), John Winterflood(Army), Robin Taylor(RAF). Terry Jennings (Bristol), Nick Childs(Dyke) Riki (Southern Hemisphere), Wayne Rooney OOPS!!

just thought i'd add a few : Glyn Williams (Fodens), Michael Howley and Morgan Griffiths(YBS). These are all ace players!!!

chiephonium
21.02.2007, 23:26
got to be BOB CHILDS, some of those recordings with his compadre NICK; (sovereign soloists, childs play, euphonium music etc.) are awesome.....

Bob playing Varied Mood on sov. soloists ---- AWESOME!

bonjour

ISBBBb2
22.02.2007, 00:03
for me its michael dodd (grimethorpe) and steven mead. michael well coz hes my teacher (possible biased hmm...) and a really great person as well as fantastic euph players, and steven coz... well hes just amazing

Id agree with the Doddsy comment! He is a class act and somewhat under rated in my opinion. But for constant high quality performances it has to be my mate Derick Kane! In a whole season with the ISB i dont think i heard him scuff a note. Hes made over 30 years of continuous jaw dropping performances with the ISB and is a role model bandsman! Legend!:wink:

zak
22.02.2007, 00:22
Id agree with the Doddsy comment! He is a class act and somewhat under rated in my opinion. But for constant high quality performances it has to be my mate Derick Kane! In a whole season with the ISB i dont think i heard him scuff a note. Hes made over 30 years of continuous jaw dropping performances with the ISB and is a role model bandsman! Legend!:wink:

I personally think it is hard to compare the likes of the above two as the repetoire in salvation army banding and "outside" banding is very different. Contesting without doubt has pushed the demands/requirements of players ever higher so it's hard to make comparisons i think. I know it's not all about contesting but bands such as Grimey also perform week in week out concerts to a very high standard as do a lot of others. I must say that Derick is a very fine player also.

I do agree however, after sitting next to Michael Dodd at Grimey for over 6 years that he is very much under rated!

Regards

Frosty
22.02.2007, 01:03
Guys,

David Moore is a superb euphonium player and great teacher.
I'm not sure how many times he was Euphonium Champion of Great Britain(3 or 4 times I think).
He went from from Grimethorpe Junior Band to the Senior Band at a really young age, and was present throughout the Howarth years of Granada Band of the year, which lead him to be be asked by Mr Howarth to play with the Philip Jones Brass Ensemble on tenor tuba on Pictures at an Exhibition.
No other purely brass band Euphonium player has had that great honour.
Great player and great guy also.

Frosty

prince_turhan
22.02.2007, 10:12
Ceri John is awesome! He is principal euphonium with Burry Port band.

Leyfy
22.02.2007, 11:29
Eupho Elvis!!!

he he he ;)

2nd man down
22.02.2007, 12:29
Michael Howley at Briggus for me.

What a sound.

What an amazing sound.

ISBBBb2
22.02.2007, 14:53
I personally think it is hard to compare the likes of the above two as the repetoire in salvation army banding and "outside" banding is very different. Contesting without doubt has pushed the demands/requirements of players ever higher so it's hard to make comparisons i think. I know it's not all about contesting but bands such as Grimey also perform week in week out concerts to a very high standard as do a lot of others. I must say that Derick is a very fine player also.

I do agree however, after sitting next to Michael Dodd at Grimey for over 6 years that he is very much under rated!

Regards

Id agree that it is dificult to compare as michael and dericks roles as euph players are different but im not sure i agree with contesting being the sole cause for pushing the demands of players? but thats for another thread! :) We can agree to disagree! There. thats dimplomacy for you!

zak
22.02.2007, 16:46
Id agree that it is dificult to compare as michael and dericks roles as euph players are different but im not sure i agree with contesting being the sole cause for pushing the demands of players? but thats for another thread! :) We can agree to disagree! There. thats dimplomacy for you!

Did I use the words "sole cause" anywhere??? ;)

Cheers

ISBBBb2
23.02.2007, 09:35
Did I use the words "sole cause" anywhere??? ;)

Cheers

Is that a rhetorical question or do you need an answer? In which case its a no! :-?

critic
23.02.2007, 19:27
All the players who have been mentioned arefine players also iagree Mark Bousie Sellers, Andy Marsh Rothwell, AND James fieldhouse Hepworth are all fine players and show the consistensy required at the top level.,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

zak
23.02.2007, 20:23
Is that a rhetorical question or do you need an answer? In which case its a no! :-?

Just don't like words being put into my mouth that's all! ;)

Regards

Martyn_Thomas
23.02.2007, 21:58
Just don't like words being put into my mouth that's all! ;)

Regards

Come on guys, we're a banding community, that's the beauty of this site.

Whoever our favourite euphonium players are comes down to personal choice - it doesn't make one person right or another wrong.

:)

Dave Euph
24.02.2007, 11:59
Whoever our favourite euphonium players are comes down to personal choice - it doesn't make one person right or another wrong. :)

Yes it does. Jukka Myllys is the best and because I say so then there can be no doubting it. :p :)

yoshi77
25.02.2007, 19:04
David Childs. Stunning sound and superb at technical stuff aswell.

beccawheeze2
22.03.2007, 15:52
My Husband!

David Mann
22.03.2007, 16:55
Trevor Groom. I knew his sound from recordings, then one Christmas concert with Bedford Town our 2nd euph was sick. The MD said, OK, I'll get a dep. Along came Trevor to the final rehearsal. I told him to sit on the end but he refused. Anyway, the 1st Bari was late for the rehearsal, we were playing something really awful like Little Drummer Boy and there was a 1st Bari tune, which Trevor put in. The look on the front row cornets' faces was amazing when this stunning sound started. I would have paid to just hear him play long notes, and he could do all the technical stuff as well.
He was the only person I knew at that time who was allowed to play in SA (Kettering) and contesting (GUS). When I asked him how he managed this he said he'd made a deal with the SA officer.
So, fantastic sound, nice guy, could play contesting and SA repertoire, gets my vote.

robcornet
22.03.2007, 17:04
I would have to say my wife Dawn who plays for the Cottingham Band ;-) Followed closely by Robert Childs as he was her teacher and has a brilliant sound. :-)

ROBTHEDOG
22.03.2007, 17:08
Andy Fawbert... in the 70's 7 80's he wa the man.. Naturally then told by Reg Read at Birmingham School of Music to get a proper instrument.. Now ine oif the country's BEST bass trombone players... BBC Radio Big band West End shows etc.. not to mention still doing the odd bit of Euph playing in fat I hear he played in this years areas (2nd Euph somewhere !!!???..) Also I had the joy of playing with him (and Bryan Hurdley) at Jones & Crossland. Also Meady still stands the test of time..

ROBTHEDOG
22.03.2007, 17:14
Looking a little further back. As Dave Mann says you have to put Trevor Groom in there.. along with Mr Baglin (by far the best ever playing of Le Roi d'Ys) - Not to forget Bert Sullivan.. - One of the best younger bunch I have had experience of is Adam Rutter...

sheilawinter
22.03.2007, 19:13
David Belshaw, Nick, Bob, and David Childs for mewith some of the most fantastic awsome sounds

flugelboy
27.03.2007, 21:14
Who's the Daddy!!!

Lyndon Baglin, nuff said :roll:

i totally agree darrol,lyndon is awsome even still in this day,and i would also saymorgan or billy millar!!

flugelboy
27.03.2007, 21:16
boc

LMAO awwww good to se the boc patrol are still in action :D

rjones3
27.03.2007, 22:54
It has to be David Welsh, what a ledgend.

ROBTHEDOG
27.03.2007, 23:05
Another great player name that seems to have dissapeared

Michael Howard.. William Davis, Desford, British Tuba Quartet????

Where is he now ????

flugelboy
27.03.2007, 23:38
All the players who have been mentioned arefine players also iagree Mark Bousie Sellers, Andy Marsh Rothwell, AND James fieldhouse Hepworth are all fine players and show the consistensy required at the top level.,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

i agree theese guys are very much underrated,i dont no bousie very well but i have met james and he is an awsome player,especially since that is his second instrument!!

ROBTHEDOG
27.03.2007, 23:50
Another under estimated player...

Bryan Hurdley ----

Maybe more recognised as a conductor but very useful on Euphonium with City of Coventry, J&C, Heart of England, Desford plus with English Tuba Consort, with Owen Slade, Melvyn Poore, & Richard Dickins...

2007besson2052
27.03.2007, 23:56
Personally, i think Steven Mead. Seeing him play, you really get the feeling that he's in control of the instrument more than anyone else and that the instrument is part of his expression... More so, I believe, than anyone else.

euph-man
28.03.2007, 00:36
Lyndon Baglin

weez
28.03.2007, 08:35
My favourites....

Lyndon Baglin - the best sound ever.
Steven Mead - technically brilliant.

Colin D
28.03.2007, 11:24

Where is he now ????

As far as I know... teaching music, but not banding anymore. He played at my wedding last year though, and a fleeting 2-tune dep for his sister Claire on trombone when they had the massed band thing at the 3 Stags last year (bit of a target reference for Derbyshire folk there, apologies).

smaca
28.03.2007, 12:16
All fantastic players that have been mantioned, but my favourite is John Clough.

Alan Fernie
28.03.2007, 23:34
Anyone here remember the legendary Eddie Dougal? He could bring a tear to a glass eye with his tone - Harry Mortimer always asked for him when in contact with anybody from bands in the Midlothian area. I'm not sure if he recorded anything, but I do remember his playing..... and what a gentleman too.

Mesmerist
28.03.2007, 23:49
- has Steve signed for any brass band in his locality yet since he returned to the Marines?
Last I heard he lives in Lympstone Devon and hasn`t signed for anyone even the local band. But I don`t think he drives so he would need have a lift to rehearsals.

Mesmerist
28.03.2007, 23:52
[quote=Bass Trumpet;400599]Read a few of the posts on here. I definately Lyndon Baglin, I believe is playing Eb bass for Aldbourne, but don't quote me on that.

He was playing for them at the Areas this year

MoominDave
29.03.2007, 08:57
It made depping for them on solo euph at a concert recently quite a nerve-racking affair!

thecapoots
29.03.2007, 14:06
Wow. A lot of great names here. Many that I'm ashamed to admit that I've never heard of (looks like I'm going to have to get a hold of some recordings... or hop a flight to the UK!). But my favorite euphonium players...

Steven Mead, for my money, is the best player in the world today. He's the whole package-- versatile, hardworking, and collegial-- and he's a marketing genius. The guy is everywhere.

Shoichiro Hokozono is an unbelievable player-- technically adept and a top-rate musician. The Japanese Air Defense Forces Band has actually given up having him in their band and has made him simply a soloist. That means that the only thing he does is stand in front of the band and play solos. Nice work if you can get it, eh?

Contrary to what you've read in this forum, we yanks have a player or two over here... Demondrae Thurman comes to mind. Incredible musician, and a beautiful, different sort of sound. There're also guys like Brian Bowman, who've been around forever.

And, of course, there's me. I might just be my favorite euph player. Except, of course for my wife. If I didn't mention her, I'd be in a LOT of trouble...

Welsheuphoniummanjamie
16.04.2007, 00:28
Im currently listening to more and more euphonium players, as a euphonist myself i feel i need to listen to them and develop my sound and try and develop a musical understanding of phrasing etc, personally i think the most inovative euphonium player is steven mead, the most controlled sound ive eva herd is Prof. Bob Childs but the most underrated euphonium player who is still outstanding and amzin euphonist is John Moss, he is still at the top of his game. He plays second for polysteel and andy hicks must be ova the moon to have such a fantastic second man down, i was lucky enough to dep for the band and sat below John he is just a gentleman and his euph playin is second to none! (apart from andy strictly speaking). The best euphonium sound had to be Lyndon Baglin now playing Eb Bass a true legend!

HBB
16.04.2007, 01:52
Dave Childs.
Fantastic Bloke.
Enough Said.

ROBTHEDOG
18.04.2007, 12:02
Sticktly a TUBA palyer but as we are talking Tenor Tuba anyway get a listen to Roger Bobo.. An absolute TUBA legend.. interesting also take a loo athe Tenor Tuba/Euph on the WEB

http://www.rogerbobo.com/
http://www.rogerbobo.com/instruments/bb_tenor_tuba.shtml

matti_raz
04.01.2008, 23:44
Very, very late here... but one I'd like to add.

In 2004 I took over as Musical Director of Radcliffle Band... this was the first time I heard of Ian Peters. A totally unassuming man, with 1000% commitment and an amazing Euphonium player....

For those of you now saying who the... Ian Peters?

He was British Open Best Instrumentalist 1993, on Masquerade, the year Faireys won by 4 points (and by all accounts was the only Euph player worth the money that day); and a regular with VB.
IMHO (and many others I know and respect), he can still beat any Euphonium player in sound, technique and being an all round good egg. A sad loss to the contesting scene...

hannahone
04.01.2008, 23:54

Morgans day is everyday!

KMJ Recordings
04.01.2008, 23:55
Very, very late here... but one I'd like to add.

In 2004 I took over as Musical Director of Radcliffle Band... this was the first time I heard of Ian Peters. A totally unassuming man, with 1000% commitment and an amazing Euphonium player....

For those of you now saying who the... Ian Peters?

He was British Open Best Instrumentalist 1993, on Masquerade, the year Faireys won by 4 points (and by all accounts was the only Euph player worth the money that day); and a regular with VB.
IMHO (and many others I know and respect), he can still beat any Euphonium player in sound, technique and being an all round good egg. A sad loss to the contesting scene...

I had the pleasure of sitting next to Ian for a while.....didn't I read on your site the other day that he's playing Eb Bass at the minute? (last I saw I'm sure he was on trombone....and with Briggsy on Principal Cornet as well.....blimey ;) )

jim
05.01.2008, 00:05
Im currently listening to more and more euphonium players, as a euphonist myself i feel i need to listen to them and develop my sound and try and develop a musical understanding of phrasing etc, personally i think the most inovative euphonium player is steven mead, the most controlled sound ive eva herd is Prof. Bob Childs but the most underrated euphonium player who is still outstanding and amzin euphonist is John Moss, he is still at the top of his game. He plays second for polysteel and andy hicks must be ova the moon to have such a fantastic second man down, i was lucky enough to dep for the band and sat below John he is just a gentleman and his euph playin is second to none! (apart from andy strictly speaking). The best euphonium sound had to be Lyndon Baglin now playing Eb Bass a true legend!

John was solo euph at William Davis for many years so much exsperiance and could still play no1 in most bands, as for Andy Hicks hes a privlidge to listen to for sound technique and exsperiance.

For technical playing Helen Kinder at Parc & Dare awsome and solid as a rock on the stage.

As for Lyndon a true legend and a gentleman still a true proffesional.

Blagger
05.01.2008, 00:08
"Cleg" was at salford when I first went there. Great player - interestingly he prefered playing on a medium bore sov euph - didn't like the heavy sound of a large bore. Had a wonderful clean and pure sound - no idea what he is doing now(?)

KMJ Recordings
05.01.2008, 00:11
"Cleg" was at salford when I first went there. Great player - interestingly he prefered playing on a medium bore sov euph - didn't like the heavy sound of a large bore. Had a wonderful clean and pure sound - no idea what he is doing now(?)

He's still at Radcliffe.....every now and again I run into them in Bury Market....

Masterblaster jnr
05.01.2008, 00:14
Probably Dave Thornton for me, either him or Glyn Williams

Jasper
05.01.2008, 20:50
I got a few old CD's out over Xmas and listened to Legacy - by Sun Life Stanshawe.....Lyndon Baglin - absolutely sublime !!!:clap:

Mike

Blagger
05.01.2008, 23:26
I got a few old CD's out over Xmas and listened to Legacy - by Sun Life Stanshawe.....Lyndon Baglin - absolutely sublime !!!:clap:

Mike

Le Roi D'Ys - with Sunlife - crikey - what a sound . An absolute legend:clap:

philram
06.01.2008, 10:13
Crip!

leisa
06.01.2008, 16:32
mike howley

Forest Gump
06.01.2008, 18:54
As for Lyndon a true legend and a gentleman still a true proffesional.[/quote]

Mr Baglin is the best i've seen, good to hear he's back conducting Cinderford band at the regionals.
Morgan's is my favorite at the moment.

Belfast Barman
07.01.2008, 00:53
Geoff Whitham definitely - what a man and he can still play well!

John Storey - ex Yorkshire Coops and now with Coldstream Guards - is also excellent but not very well known and consequently underestimated.

Rach x

Aah memories... Geoff used to come into my pub for meals and me and him would talk banding for hours (right up till his wife used to emerge from the dining area with a "geoffrey, we are waiting for you!!"

Morgan, fantastic euph man, and no mean md either...

John Storey - well, I could tell you no amount of stories about John - one of the best, spesh when we played with Hebden Bridge Juniors (ask him about Denmark!)

Can I throw another name in here .... Rob Cavender, currently at Skelmanthorpe - awesome range, great sound and an all-round good guy (got me home from many a contest).

Andy

ROBTHEDOG
07.01.2008, 15:45
Le Roi D'Ys - with Sunlife - crikey - what a sound . An absolute legend:clap:

Too true... I hear Lyndon's playing EEb Tuba in the Forest of Dean somewhere .....

JimboFB
07.01.2008, 17:53
mike howley

I'm voting for Mike too. Genuine nice guy too! :D

brassneck
07.01.2008, 22:23
Too true... I hear Lyndon's playing EEb Tuba in the Forest of Dean somewhere .....

On the Bourgeois CD? It's got his son, Stewart, listed on the sleevenotes! :rolleyes:

nickjones
08.01.2008, 09:27
I think you misunderstand b.n , Lyndon does play Eb ( he did for B&R and for a band in the forest of dean area ( not D.B.'s piece the forest of dean) ;)

MoominDave
08.01.2008, 12:45
He was playing EEb for Aldbourne early last year. Think he's left them now though.

brassneck
08.01.2008, 19:07
I think you misunderstand b.n , Lyndon does play Eb ( he did for B&R and for a band in the forest of dean area ( not D.B.'s piece the forest of dean) ;)

- it was just that the post wasn't very clear ;) (... hence the smiley next to it!)

Forest Gump
08.01.2008, 20:13
Not to my knowledge he isn't, but as i said he is taking Cinderford band to the regionals and there in the Forest of Dean.:biggrin:

Jack the Baritone King
23.01.2008, 13:19
Got to be IAN GILL!!! Plays for YBS concert but should be playing champo sect (and so should they:D ). The nicest guy you'll ever meet and the greatest Eupho that i've ever met, he's definately up there with the rest.

If not Ian then Steve Graham, plays for that great band erm...Crofton Silver! Beautiful tone, superb range, technically he's outstanding and he can sup for Yorkshire!!:guiness hehe:biggrin:

UP THE CROFTON!!

BassoProfundo
23.01.2008, 13:38
Mike Howley, a great entertainer as well as a superb player

sopboy
23.01.2008, 14:16
Glyn Williams and Morgan Griffiths, the most musical and down to earth euph players in the business today! they also play from the heart. No bull s**t from theese two big guns, they play whats on the sheet with no wild rip gliss's or screaming and shouting down the instrument.

Also a great fan of John Clough when he was at Dyke

JeremyB
11.02.2008, 05:29
Sorry to bring back a little older thread.
One of my more recent influences have been David Childs and his rendition of Flight of the Bumblebee and Brilliante (and all the other recordings I can only find on Youtube) It is difficult to get CDs over here: but I am looking. My favorite from him so far is of course the Hot Canary:::Amazing full-toned range.

Although there was one mention of Dr. Brian Bowman earlier, I want to express my lifelong admiration of him. He has a wonderful, warm tone and is such an awesome performer. His playing has inspired me to be the player that I am today. Bowman is an amazing soloist and I have had the chance to meet him several times as well and he is a nice guy.

I take it Dr. Bowman is either not preferred or not very well known in Europe? No one else has mentioned him here yet.:-?

Highams
13.02.2008, 08:55
I got to hear several US Euphers recently 'live' and it was amazing.

At the risk of leaving a name out, Brian Bowman, Roger Behrend, Dave Werden, Brian Meixner, Mark Dickman, Jason Ham, & Mark Jenkins.

Recordings don't always do justice to their amazing sound and character, particularly in the hilarious comments between pieces by Roger Behrend.

CB

trm
19.02.2008, 10:59
Some late contenders, all scandinavian born but still fantastic euph players ;). In no particular order:
Henrik Dalhaug
Sverre S Olsrud
Tormod Flaten
Patrik Randefalk

dizzy068
19.02.2008, 11:34
My faves from various generations;

John Clough
Len Charnock
David Welsh

All are something special and as far as I know none of them are still playing....in the UK

sunshine
19.02.2008, 17:56
My favourite euphonium player is called Pete Beale, who plays for Corby Silver Band. Why is he my favourite? Because he's my husband. Ahhhh

YorkshireBloke
19.02.2008, 20:57
Rob Cavender for me.

Or Mr Calender. Or Mr Cavendish. (Or Mr Lavender to his mates).
(And some even call him James Dean)

Cos he's a top bloke (and he can play a bit).

fireborn
20.02.2008, 00:09
ok, my favourite would have to be Nicholas Childs (I know He's not playing at the moment), but I guess I may be biased - he was my teacher. But then again, he was my favourite before I became his student.

I do like David Childs, not sure if he's my favourite though of those still playing.

Welsheuphoniummanjamie
20.02.2008, 00:44
recently been buying alot of euphonium CD's and my two fave euph players are:

Steven Mead and David Childs

MichaelHoward
08.03.2008, 13:55

Where is he now ????

Thanks for that Rob! I gave up playing about 5 years ago. Put off by a certain player (whom I won't mention - but I may have been in a quartet with him!) who was more interested in entertainment than music!!! And if the world thinks he's one of the best players then it's a sad world.

tuba1974
08.03.2008, 14:40
Barry perrins, from henden band, loverly sound, one band, did,t move about for glory, what a great man also, no big head about his playing, just got on with it, what a shame he died when in his 50,s, :clap:

brassbandmaestro
08.03.2008, 16:03
I was thinking Barrie Perriens, but ofocurse yes John Clough, Trevor Groom, Nick and Robert Childs(When they were playing), Morgan Griffiths, David Thornton.

Brian Bowen
08.03.2008, 16:48
Thanks for that Rob! I gave up playing about 5 years ago. Put off by a certain player (whom I won't mention - but I may have been in a quartet with him!) who was more interested in entertainment than music!!!

Please reconsider your reason for having stopped playing. I don't know you personally, but I imagine you still have much to offer.

Paige
08.03.2008, 18:45
Michael Howley for me!