PDA

View Full Version : Baritone Concerto

Anonymous
01.04.2003, 01:35
Would anyone be interested in giving the first performance of my Baritone Concerto, just completed a few moments ago? It will take a player with a big sound and plenty of stamina but I'm very pleased with the outcome and think it will sound great in the hands of a virtuoso baritone soloist.

Any takers?

D

Professional Composer
etc.

Highams
01.04.2003, 09:51
Hi,
Very, very interested, my partner is a class baritone player.
Look forward to the reply.

www.euph9.freeserve.co.uk

Heather
01.04.2003, 10:24
Now, THIS MUST be an April Fool.

Heather. Baritone Player!

Aidan
01.04.2003, 14:35
hahaha :D thats brilliant!!!
:lol: :lol: :lol:

neiltwist
02.04.2003, 02:51

what? the fact it's a baritone concerto, or that a big sound and plenty of stamina is needed!

Straightmute
02.04.2003, 11:41

what? the fact it's a baritone concerto, or that a big sound and plenty of stamina is needed!

Neil - If you need to ask, the joke's on you!

Sorry CB and baritone lovers everywhere - I feel so guilty about my feeble, beer-induced attempt at an April Fool gag that I am now going away to begin composing my Baritone Concerto as penance. See you in a year or two when I've managed to write something that sounds good on the baritone.

D

Heather
02.04.2003, 15:01
Straightmute, I'd stop there if I was you before you go too far!!!!!!!!!!

Straightmute
03.04.2003, 02:04
OK, since you put it like that...

Actually I really love the sound of the baritone. Honest! My April 1 gag was originally going to be 'bass trombone concerto', but I don't think anyone would have fallen for that one.

And I really will write something for baritone and band, though perhaps not a concerto!

D

Heather
03.04.2003, 10:30
All us Baritone players will hold you to that then.
You can't get out of it now.

Highams
04.04.2003, 12:45
You have gotten me into soooooooo much trouble !

First I have to cancel the RAH booking for the premier and loose my deposit, I have to rewrite two articles for the BB & BBW, I have to supply champagne & chocolates to a sobbing partner, and return a brand new instrument invented especially to perform your work on in stereo !

http://www.euph9.freeserve.co.uk/bari2.jpg

Straightmute
04.04.2003, 12:56
OK - I am crumbled into submission by the baritone mafia...

Yesterday I went out and bought manuscipt paper. I'm on with it. Right?

D

Heather
04.04.2003, 13:09
We expect you to spend all this weekend tethered to a desk with pen in hand.
All food and drink will be delivered to your desk..the food will have been whisked into a soup to enable you to drink through a long straw without ever having to let go of the pen.
You will be allowed sleep but only when your piece is complete and you are satisfied that it is, in fact, good enough for all the wonderful Baritone players across the country.
Good Luck!!!!

BoozyBTrom
04.04.2003, 13:38

D

You have a real job on your hands there Mr Mute. How on earth will you be able to write a tune that a baritone will be able to carry. its impossible.

Perhaps one of the movements could be a jazz style one. you could call it Barking Iron Blues. :wink:

TheMusicMan
04.04.2003, 13:40

D

Hi StraightMute - happy to publish your "Ultimate Baritone Composition" here on tMP of you like... :)

On with the writing.... you have a lot of people to appease!!!! :lol:

Straightmute
22.05.2003, 01:56
We expect you to spend all this weekend tethered to a desk with pen in hand.
All food and drink will be delivered to your desk..the food will have been whisked into a soup to enable you to drink through a long straw without ever having to let go of the pen.
You will be allowed sleep but only when your piece is complete and you are satisfied that it is, in fact, good enough for all the wonderful Baritone players across the country.
Good Luck!!!!

Heather

Please can you come round and untie me now? I've nearly finished the piece for baritone and band and will get the parts done over the weekend.

I'm still searching for a title - it's based on a Cornish folksong called 'I Love my Love' but I can already see tHB members with their fingers down their throats, so that won't do. Suggestions welcome!

Oh, and thanks for the soup.

David

Keppler
22.05.2003, 11:10
Perhaps a tribute to the great bread from that section of the country:
"I Love my Loaf"

(I'll shut up now...)

cornetgirl
22.05.2003, 16:20
There are worse titles I guess.......

And I'm glad Heather's untied you now - can't have you in the way at Saturday's Eurovision Night!

Rach x

big_benthomson
03.07.2003, 13:49
its just the fact that somebody has taken time out of their life to write for such a monstrosity (spelling?). Surely its a joke?!

Heather
03.07.2003, 19:52
:twisted: :evil: :twisted: :evil: :twisted: :evil: :twisted: :evil: :twisted:Careful now!!

Roger Thorne
06.10.2003, 01:14
In case any Baritone Players out there are interested, on Friday 31st October Black Dyke Band will be performing the premier of a new Baritone Solo entitled 'Concertino for Baritone' composed by yours truly.

If anyone is interested in attending the concert, Rob Richardson will be performing this 'premier' at Uppermill Civic Hall at 7.30 p.m.

Hope to see you all there!

:wink:

neiltwist
06.10.2003, 01:20
If anyone is interested in attending the concert, Rob Richardson will be performing this 'premier' at Uppermill Civic Hall at 7.30 p.m.

rob richardson is very good by the way if you haven't heard of him already!

Kari Anson
06.10.2003, 23:07
In case any Baritone Players out there are interested, on Friday 31st October Black Dyke Band will be performing the premier of a new Baritone Solo entitled 'Concertino for Baritone' composed by yours truly.

Hope to see you all there!

Congratulations. You'll be famous yet!

Roger Thorne
01.11.2003, 19:26
Congratulations. You'll be famous yet!
I don't know about that Kari, but I would like to take this opportunity to thank eveyone who has sent good luck and congratulation messages re the above post.

Muchio apprecio!

horn1
02.11.2003, 18:27
I heard the premier on Friday night and very impressed I was too! Both with the composition and Rob's performance. Congratulations Rodger!!

Roger Thorne
02.11.2003, 19:05
Thanks Nicola,

dyl
04.11.2003, 22:35
There's a good review of the Black Dyke concert on 4barsrest: http://www.4barsrest.com/reviews/concerts/con089.asp
But, of particular interest to all tMPers is the following paragraph:

The most intriguing piece of the whole night was a World Premiere by baritone player, Robert Richardson. Solos for baritone are extremely rare, but ‘Concertino’ was commissioned from the pen of Roger Thorne for Robert. Lasting around nine minutes, it is in two movements (although continuos). The first nice and lyrical, delightful on the ear, whilst the second part is up-tempo and fast. Without question, Robert displayed what a great player he is, with fine full bloooded tone and congratulations should be given to Roger Thorne for the composition
Congrats Roger! http://www.click-smilie.de/sammlung0903/aktion/action-smiley-033.gif

Heather
05.11.2003, 08:36
Sounds good, Roger!
Congrats from me too.
Abut time someone took the Baritone seriously :)

Seedhouse
05.11.2003, 11:16
I'll have to try and get to hear it at some point. Congrats to you Roger! :wink:

Cornishwomble
05.11.2003, 11:20
Sounds good, Roger!
Congrats from me too.
Abut time someone took the Baritone seriously :)

I always felt that the baritone was a very underrated instrument, played well it has a lovely sound. Hopefully there will be a lot more written for it.

Big Twigge
13.11.2003, 23:26
I spy another mention about the 'Baritone Concertino' on 4barsrest
.....fame at last Roger!
Well done!