PDA

View Full Version : Cornet Mouthpieces

sparkling_quavers
20.03.2003, 17:28
I am currently using a DW3. I played on a Bach pee shooter for ages but then had to change my I got a new cornet due to tuning problems. I also moved onto backrow for the last 3/4 years and thus decided to use something a bit deeper. I have now been demoted back to frontrow and still using the DW3. I can get a really nice tone but high notes are a killer! I tried moving back to something a bit shallower but I sounded like a strangled duck!! :shock: Anyone got any suggestions?

super_sop
20.03.2003, 17:32
HAVE YOU SEEN THE POST ON SPARX MOUTHPIECES?

Keppler: Duplicate Post Deleted

Straightmute
20.03.2003, 17:34
Have you tried the Lewington McCann mouthpiece? I've had the same dilemma: the Bach doesn't blend well enough and the Wicks are hard work, especially for me as I no longer play regularly. LMc mouthpiece is very comfortable, projects well and even I can make a nice sound sometimes...

D

Keppler
20.03.2003, 18:20
As a follow up to Super_Sop... the mentioned posts on Sparx mouthpieces can be found here (http://www.themouthpiece.com/viewtopic.php?t=639)

sparkling_quavers
21.03.2003, 09:53
Have you tried the Lewington McCann mouthpiece? I've had the same dilemma: the Bach doesn't blend well enough and the Wicks are hard work, especially for me as I no longer play regularly. LMc mouthpiece is very comfortable, projects well and even I can make a nice sound sometimes...

D

Do you know where i could get hold of one?

Straightmute
21.03.2003, 10:24

Band Supplies in Leeds had them not so long ago.

D

TheMusicMan
21.03.2003, 10:28

D

Rach, when I play - this is the MouthPiece I use... very, very comfortable indeed. Quite deep for a front-row mouthpiece though but once you're used to it you won't change.

... not so good for use as a Baton though...!! :roll:

John

Valvecap
21.03.2003, 12:09
Have played for 3 years on a DW4 (not the dreaded 4B) and worked well for me - but i agree with StraightMute - they are hard work for front row...
Would only change to a LMc if i could rebore the neck - really comfortable on the chops, nice tone, but you cant get enough air through the things - i mean... usually i can strip paint off walls... with the LMc, the wall laughs at me.... :(

James McFadyen
21.03.2003, 17:34
I would suggest Jet Tone mouthpieces! I used a shallow Trumpet Mouthpiece from Jet Tone, and top F's and G's (way aboce the stave) were achieveable without fatique!!

Straightmute
21.03.2003, 18:14
I would suggest Jet Tone mouthpieces! I used a shallow Trumpet Mouthpiece from Jet Tone, and top F's and G's (way aboce the stave) were achieveable without fatique!!

Maybe, but you won't get through the bandroom door with one!

D

James McFadyen
21.03.2003, 18:40
Why would that be then, apart from the obvious?

cornetgirl
21.03.2003, 20:05
I actually use the dreaded 4B....always have, but I'd quite like to try the Sparx or LMc one.....

At risk of drifting off topic or getting a nice moderator to start a new thread....what does everyone reckon the best flugel mouthpiece is? I've always used the 2FL DW one but any other suggestions would be gratefully received!

Rach x

sparkling_quavers
22.03.2003, 12:38
Maybe, but you won't get through the bandroom door with one!

D

exactly! thanks for the suggestion though

sudcornet
22.03.2003, 20:11
If you're comfortable with the DW3, why noy try a slight move smaller to the DW4? I've played the DW4W (Wide rim 'cos of my kissable lips, hahha) for a few years now and have no trouble from bottom F# to E'ish above top C and I've always played a large bore cornet (Sov 928 and Prestige) I think it's more a case of what you get used to. I think correct breathing is probably more important in a lot of ways than choice of instrument c/w m'piece. I once got told I had a good sound on one of those K&H peashooters (Sorry Tim) so it can't always be the tools!
Nigel.

neiltwist
23.03.2003, 02:55
I started out on cornet, and tried a few mouthpieces, including the Lewington McCann, but I think that the best I found was the DW4, DW3 gave me a better tone, but no range, although soon after I ended up on bass trom, and did significantly better, maybe I'm just not a cornet player eh?

Boneman
23.03.2003, 22:18
I started out on cornet, and tried a few mouthpieces, including the Lewington McCann, but I think that the best I found was the DW4, DW3 gave me a better tone, but no range, although soon after I ended up on bass trom, and did significantly better, maybe I'm just not a cornet player eh?
Neiltwist - Quite a change from Cornet to Bass Trombone! (although I do have to say this a a big step in the right direction) - I presume you did not play Bass trombone on a DW 3?

neiltwist
23.03.2003, 23:31
Neiltwist - Quite a change from Cornet to Bass Trombone! (although I do have to say this a a big step in the right direction) - I presume you did not play Bass trombone on a DW 3?

It's amazing how high you can get!, although I think my lower range suffered a bit!

craigyboy1
08.04.2003, 12:12
Why is the 4B dreaded?
What am I missing?

neiltwist
08.04.2003, 13:25
Why is the 4B dreaded?
What am I missing?

it's good for a learner, but after that most players move on to either a bigger or smaller one. Anyway, I've only ever heard one person get a good sound out of a 4B: David Geogeghan

Phil Green
08.04.2003, 14:37
it's good for a learner, but after that most players move on to either a bigger or smaller one. Anyway, I've only ever heard one person get a good sound out of a 4B: David Geogeghan

Strange that, I've heard loads, especially back row players. The depth, unless I misunderstood the explanation from on of the finest backrow players in banding, means that second and third cornet players can create an incredibly big sound whilst maintaining a decent range.

Neil, you need to listen to more bands.

neiltwist
08.04.2003, 16:12
depth, in a 4B!

the 4 means it's got a 4 rim, with the B indicating a shallower depth than the plain 4. It is actually quite shallow, although not compared to trumpet mouthpieces.

there's no such thing as a backrow bander! if they play for one of the best bands in the country, then inherently they have to be good on the front row too!

the point about a 4B, is that it's about in the middle, and is easy to learn on, then, when a player becomes more advanced, they can try a different mouthpiece, and decide if they want to change or not.

the 4B however does not give an incredibly big sound. a plain 4 gives a fairly big sound, and the 3 even bigger. personally, I think the DW 3B is a fairly good mouthpiece, but then again I never was any good on cornet.

Phil, you need to listen to more cornet players.

sparkling_quavers
08.04.2003, 17:04
there's no such thing as a backrow bander! if they play for one of the best bands in the country, then inherently they have to be good on the front row too!

A backrow player in one of the big bands is obviously going to be a class player...and stick them on the front row and they would still be shining!
But I do have to disagree Neil! Players do have their niche. If you play backrow row and have to consistently play loud, intune low notes and you get used to doing it! Sit a front row player on backrow and they often could make a poor show of it just because they are not used to the demands. IMHO backrow is alot more challenging than front row (and more fun). I am playing front row at the moment but I would prefer to be on backrow because that is what I do well!

Kayleigh
08.04.2003, 17:12
The best ive [I've] found is a Yamaha 16e and you can get a good range as well as gettin [getting] all da [the] bottom notes ive [I've] had it for about a couple of years it is alot [a lot] better den [than] a 4B what do u [you] lot find best?? :?:

Keppler
08.04.2003, 17:14
personally, I like punctuation..

oh right.. mouthpieces.. still happy with my DW4 gold plate, furry dice..

TheMusicMan
08.04.2003, 17:18
:wink: :wink: :wink: :wink:

Sorry Kayleigh... it's just that Neal needs some translation... :)

Keppler
08.04.2003, 17:24
yes, many apologies Kayleigh.. sometimes I don't stop to think, and the smart remarks just come out all by themselves..

I was quite breathless and exhausted after reading your post though..

Phil Green
08.04.2003, 17:39
Neil, point taken, as I said, probably I misunderstood. I got the wrong mouthpiece! :oops:

Don't agree about front/back row players being interchangeable though. At least not in the short term! A good front row player may not have the chops to play low stuff all night and a good backrow player will probably struggle playing a front row part after an piece or so.

It IS all about what you do best and in the best bands the backrows are made up of people who want to be the best backrow they can be and chose their hardware and practice routines accordingly.

That said, some of them, if they wanted to and were prepared to change their mouthpiece to suit, would be fabulous front row players. :)

super_sop
08.04.2003, 18:37
The best ive found is a Yamaha 16e
I also play on a yamaha 16E but only recently changed from my 4B.
seems ok at the moment but im not really used to it yet.

neiltwist
08.04.2003, 23:16
I didn't say that front and back are interchangeable, but i think they are in the top bands. If the band is a top band, then they should surely have music where the back play high, and the front play low.

and on the subject of niches, yes, people do have a niche, and they may find that they enjoy playing backrow music more than front row, perhaps due to range or something similar.

neiltwist
08.04.2003, 23:18
sorry, just another quick one:

Rachael, some front parts are harder, and some back parts are harder. depends on the piece, and what an individual finds hard.

sparkling_quavers
08.04.2003, 23:35
sorry, just another quick one:

Rachael, some front parts are harder, and some back parts are harder. depends on the piece, and what an individual finds hard.

Yeah I agree, I didn't mean harder I meant demanding in different ways! 8) BTW it is Rachel :wink:

neiltwist
08.04.2003, 23:43
doh!

Toby
15.04.2003, 17:04
Ever thought of putting a McCann rim on a Wick cup and modifying the shank? :idea:

Alaric Knight's done it for a friend who reckons it's the dogs.

Toby Bannan

neiltwist
16.04.2003, 13:03
ever thought of making your own full stop...

davidquinlan
21.04.2003, 12:43
In my opinion, changing mouthpieces to increase range, power etc is only a short term solution....

As a "misplaced" trumpet player (i.e. I am really a trumpet player that plays cornet/sop in brass bands!!), I have to swap mouthpieces regularly depending on the instrument I'm playing. I do struggle more on Bb cornet initially, but when I put the work in, range, power etc becomes just as it is on Trumpet.

I use the following mouthpieces...

Bb Trumpet - Schilke 16
Bb Cornet - DW 3B
Eb Cornet - Schilke 15A4
Bb/A Piccolo Trumpet - Schilke 15A4

bill_p
25.04.2003, 09:30
ive got a lewington mc cann mouthpiece and i think that they are quite difficult to make a big noise on, they do make a nice sound though. btw, i thought geogy played on a 4 not a 4b? i may be wrong.