PDA

View Full Version : Whit Friday Potholes

jockinafrock
02.06.2012, 21:18
Just watched a youtube clip where a bass player went into a pothole and nearly came a right cropper! We had similar mishap on Saddleworth where our Bass player fell so badly he cut the bridge of his nose and even put a crease in the bell! :shock:
We can see the funny side of it, but I'm sure these weren't the only 2 incidents. Surely proof the councils need to get potholes all over the country sorted!
:ranting2:

tubafran
02.06.2012, 22:05
Our euph player managed to trip in a pot hole at Greenfield - one deeply cut knee and a stuck mouthpiece and leadpipe dislodged. Wasn't on the march, walking back to coach after playing on field

classicbrass
02.06.2012, 23:26
We played early at Greenfield (5th ) and the steward warned us about a pot hole (aligned with a resurfaced trench) on then left hand side of Chew Valley Rd (main street thro' Greenfield) before we started the street march. I don't recall seeing it but we warned all the band members in the left hand files to be careful.

Maybe the stewards didn't warn everyone.

Pete Griffin
Lees Band.

Dave Payn
03.06.2012, 00:06
Well it's a bl**dy good thing Whit Friday isn't held on Arran. There are enough potholes here to turn the roads into one massive crazy golf course! All the same, sorry to hear about the mishaps reported.

Cornet Luke
03.06.2012, 00:47
I heard that a bass player for Oldham Music Centre stumbled on the march and fractured her shoulder, leaving the band with a 2 piece bass section, and ruining that girls evening, on what should be a special night.

Beesa
03.06.2012, 01:46
Maybe there ahould be breathalyser tests before each band plays.......
(not, I hasten to add that this might have had anything to do with the above mishaps)

fatcontroler
03.06.2012, 03:12
Maybe there ahould be breathalyser tests before each band plays.......
(not, I hasten to add that this might have had anything to do with the above mishaps)

Not that it had anything to do with the OP......but I do agree. I felt that more bands were treating the contest as a social activity rather than a prize winning opportunity. That is not necessarily a bad thing - there are only a handful of bands that can make money from these contests I suppose.

So in summary - congrats to the winning bands and those that add to keeping the competition a fun night :-)

Mephi
04.06.2012, 12:48
Delph Contest always contacts the council to sort the potholes out prior to the big day as they would also be a problem for the processions in the morning as well. Any holes that are on non-council land e.g. the car park behind the contest arena, are filled in by the contest committee.

I went down a pothole at Uppermill as well, left foot luckily as my right leg was already knackered. Managed to avoid going over on my ankle and thankfully wasn't playing at the time!

euphalogy
04.06.2012, 12:54
We are all doomed Mr Manwaring!! Pubs and ciubs all closed at 11pm no music after midnight!! The end is nigh.

AMbrass1
06.06.2012, 01:42
Yes potholes are a worry for any band. I take my youth band to Tameside (2 firsts a second and a deportment this year :D ) but my heart is in my mouth in terms of the risk assessments that I'm required to do. I constantly have to remind the band of pot holes and other objects in the road. Someone tripping going back to the coach is one thing. Someone tripping whilst marching poses another set of legal complications. I once saw a young lady playing euphonium take a tumble down a hole at Stalybridge. not nice for her. It does however reminds me a an incidence that happened in a TA band I was playing in whilst marching through Sheffield. The bass drummer went over rolled over the bass drum.. landed back on in his feet and didn't miss a beat. No idea how he managed it. The trouble is the band creased up and had to "restart". Could have been nasty though! Sorry to hear of the young lady from Oldham as we shared a concert with them last year. I wish her a speedy recovery.