PDA

View Full Version : your instruments

Nat
11.03.2003, 19:11
I play a besson sovereign its about 5 years old and the lacker is very worn but i love it and i wouldn't swap it for the best cornet in the world its my baby, does anyone else treat their instrument like a baby??? :)

Keppler
11.03.2003, 19:12
Betcha CG has a name for hers... ;)

I play a Maestro at the moment.. not emotionally attached to it..

Nat
11.03.2003, 19:17
anyone else???

Highams
11.03.2003, 19:17
My Willson euphonium gets more baths than I do sometimes !

Still, I do have 6 others to keep clean as well, not kids, just instruments.

www.euph9.freeserve.co.uk/neweuph.htm

Nat
11.03.2003, 19:20
Dont wash them too much you will damage them!!

Highams
11.03.2003, 19:27
Yes, you are correct.

Actually detergents can be corrosive to brass & copper, which is why the Gas companies stopped using them for leak testing !

My ideal solution is warm water with only a dash of Autogleam car wash shampoo, which is low in salt & has a defoamer.
Followed by a rinse through with the shower hose.

www.euph9.freeserve.co.uk

picju96
11.03.2003, 23:44
Apparently soap flakes are good, although I don't use them myself. Just plain old Dettol and Fairy Liquid for me. My instrument has a name.

frisp
11.03.2003, 23:48
My Bass is my baby!

That's why it's dirty and smells of *beep* :)

cornetgirl
12.03.2003, 01:24
Hi Nat!!!!

How's it going?

My cornet doesn't actually have a name... but my flug's called Fenella, my trumpet's called Wynton (as in Marsalis), my viola's called Vilem (after the conductor Vilem Tausky) and my violin's called Maxim (after Maxim Vengerov)!

So yes Neal, you were right!

Rach x

LU-Brasser
12.03.2003, 07:56
I play a Shilke Sop. It does not have a name, but a certain emotional relationship exists because it goes with me through good and bad times.... :wink:

imthemaddude
12.03.2003, 10:52
I play a mestro cornet at the mo and it aint silver so I'm gutted. Played a silver soverign before that and I play on a yahama sop - its terrible tried my mates old sop and it was fab, my soverign horn was the best. Got a few other instruments like a yahama alto sax, yamaha clarinet in wood and a korg keyboard, a bach flute and a conservatoire violin. Ive got a very old yamaha electone organ with pedals and stuff also so I guess yamaha kinda rules in my household!

maybe we could have a poll to see who owns the most instruments?! and a poll to see what make is the best? 8)

hornblower
12.03.2003, 15:36
i was very attached to my French horn I played at school he was called Cedric and I miss him...don't know what happened to all the instruments after they stopped giving free lessions in the authority...

I'm not attached to my current tenor horn as it belongs to the band! I have a tenor horn in desperate need of fixing I found in a clearance, all the valves are rusty, and not sure how good it could be if it was fixed up! I'm saving the pennies to be able to buy my own instrument...slowly...need a better paid job! :cry:

twigglet
12.03.2003, 15:50
It pains me to see one of our junior band learning on my first ever cornet, how can we be so attached to some metal tubes!!!

I hated my current cornet when i got it but 6 years later it feels like an extension to my lips, and i'll go mad when they take it off me when i go to uni in september..........NOOOOOOOO!

But I have never named my instrument, anybody have any suggestions for a suitable name for a gold sovereign cornet? We could give it a mouthpiece.com christening :P

Keppler
12.03.2003, 15:55
I reckon "Neal" is a great name.. ;)

twigglet
12.03.2003, 16:06
Is that being slighlty biased by any chance!! But yes ....neal is a great name. :lol:

BoozyBTrom
12.03.2003, 16:16
i was very attached to my French horn I played at school he was called Cedric and I miss him...don't know what happened to all the instruments after they stopped giving free lessions in the authority...

I'm not attached to my current tenor horn as it belongs to the band! I have a tenor horn in desperate need of fixing I found in a clearance, all the valves are rusty, and not sure how good it could be if it was fixed up! I'm saving the pennies to be able to buy my own instrument...slowly...need a better paid job! :cry:

Larry Sinclair in the North is a really good instrument repairer and he has good rates of charge. you can find a link to his site on ever readys website. in my signature

might b worth letting him do up your old horn and get it used again :o :o

groovy
12.03.2003, 18:40
I was very attached to my old instrument - I called it Wesley. Now some 10 year ols is blasting away on it. :cry:
The euph I have now doesn't have a name, I was too upset after losing Wesley to give it one. Come to think of it the trom doesn't have a name either.
I think maybe
Esmerelda for the euph and
Archibald for the trom.

Twigglet, how about Baldrick for your cornet? :wink:
I love weird names! :D :D

HBB
12.03.2003, 18:59
I no ......

Fred for the Cornet,
and Bob for the Horn ........

nah, wait ..... I can do loadz better than that!! .....

erm ..........

Gwynelena for my Horn and

Jayaul for my Cornet!!

How cool are they!! :D:D:D

Ben ;)

twigglet
12.03.2003, 21:03
I do like Baldrick that is a good idea! That name is winning so far, although I don't know why but I asume my cornet to be female, basses and trombones I think would be male, but cornets, horns, baritones and euphoniums i think would be female.

Not very Politically Correct am I.......... oooooo sexism is alive and kicking!

So any good FEMALE names for my ickle cornet
:?: :?: :?:

frisp
12.03.2003, 22:16
My Bass is my baby!

That's why it's dirty and smells of ****e

I apologise for that one-too much drink in Blackpool topped up straight off the boat!

I do like Baldrick that is a good idea! That name is winning so far, although I don't know why but I asume my cornet to be female, basses and trombones I think would be male, but cornets, horns, baritones and euphoniums i think would be female.

Not very Politically Correct am I.......... oooooo sexism is alive and kicking!

Sod PC, think and say what you want-I don't think ascribing gender characteristics to your instrument (oo-er Matron) is sexist anyway, although for my money a euph, which could easily be viewed as a baby bass, is male.

WhatSharp?
13.03.2003, 09:08
Well I play a Schilke Sop (had it for just over a year now) and no it hasn't got a name, but I am very attached to it (during Christmas I tend to be frozen to it :lol: ). Before that I had a Sovereign Sop which was wonderful for many years (about 10+) before the valves gave up the ghost. Trying to sell it now but no-one wants it :( . I also have a very early Sovereign Sop (the one with the tuning slide on the bell pipe) which was given to me about 12 years ago and I'm very attached to it, it's called "old Bob" after the Robot in The Black Hole it's also my backup instrument. Prior to that I had a Yamaha Eb which was ****** awful and before that I had my schools ancient Imperial Sop.

Schilkes my favorite of the lot though, it does what its told (shame I don't) :D

groovy
13.03.2003, 22:36
A female name......hmmmm....

Baldricka? :lol:

How about Hermione? Or Wilhelmina?

Gwendoline? :shock:

cornetgirl
13.03.2003, 23:22
Hmm....names for a female cornet......

On the Baldrick thing, why not go to the obvious female character in Blackadder..... QUEENIE!

Other than that, you can't go far wrong with Rachel...... :wink:

Rach x

cornetgirl
13.03.2003, 23:43
Aha.....got it!!!!

CORNELIA!!!!!!!

Rach x

Roger Thorne
14.03.2003, 00:57
I hated my current cornet when i got it but 6 years later it feels like an extension to my lips, and i'll go mad when they take it off me when i go to uni in september..........NOOOOOOOO!

Who's said anything about taking it off you! You'll need to keep it so you can keep coming back to dep for us! :lol: :lol: :lol:

twigglet
14.03.2003, 17:28
Great coz I love that cornet, I have my own one which is exactly the same but in silver which I have had for about 4 years but have only played it about 4 times!

I think Cornelia wins it, simple yet fitting, thanks cornetgirl!

I hereby christen my cornet...................CORNELIA!

:lol:

Keppler
14.03.2003, 18:08
well it sounds a bit like "Neal"..

*stamps with seal of approval"

twigglet
15.03.2003, 11:12
How about this:

CorNEALia !!

Now everyone is happy! :D

Valvecap
15.03.2003, 14:52
Well... I bought my own cornet bout 6 years ago... the person who bought it for me was conducting our youth band and town band at the time (Bob Dales)... Gave me the cornet on the tuesday night at caroling.
Turned up for the next rehersal to find that he had gone home after the caroling and had a heart attack...
Thought it fitting to call the instrument Bob - so yes i am a little attatched to the instrument - its a Sovereign 928 which started life as rose bell and brass and has slowly changed into a Prestige lookalike - silver with gold and black trim.

Big Twigge
15.03.2003, 15:26
My flugel is simply the fludgel (not sure on the spelling), this means that..............
I am the FLUDGELATOR
8)

Brian
15.03.2003, 15:27
During my playing days at Bestwood, where I played Euphonium,the several intruments that I had over the years were always called "Emma" don't know how that started, but since I bought my trombone, and then I moved to Thailand, the name has been "Thaibone" except when I'm talking to pupils at school when I call it my "Flute"..They are quite bewildered, especially the flautists. Brian

twigglet
16.03.2003, 00:43
All i can possibly say is

BEWARE OF THE FLUDGELATOR! :twisted: :evil: :twisted:

I wouldn't mess with someone who calls themself by this name, and I know that big Twigge (my sister) is a crazee lady who takes no prisoners, she can do serious damage with her 'fludgel'

cornetgirl
16.03.2003, 13:37
As the suggestor or Cornealia's name (in conjunction with Neal) should we stand as godparents to the baby cornet??! You know, promise to look after it and make sure it behaves and buy it loads of prezzies...

Rach x

twigglet
16.03.2003, 16:17
Cornetgirl and Neal would be the obvious choices as Godparents! I think Cornealia would look very fetching in a christening gown?! but you couldnt splash water on her as it might damage the laquer....

.......I don't know...... cornets who'd have 'em! :wink:

Keppler
16.03.2003, 17:04
Oh, I'm overcome with the honour..
I need to sit down...

HBB
16.03.2003, 18:42
mind the font Neal! :D:D:D:D

um_chuck
16.03.2003, 21:08
i didnt know instruments had such names.
i started playing 12 years ago when i was 11. i gave up for 4 years having no time because i became a mum i have played the tenor horn and trombone i recentley came back into brass banding a couple of months ago as a baritone. anybody got any good names for my bari? :)

Libby
16.03.2003, 21:45
:D
Hi Twigglet!

I've never used this site before but on reading it had to reply, coz my horn is definately male, he's called Harry and my chums Baritone is called Barney! But I agree about the trombones, he's called Toby.

hornblower
17.03.2003, 15:20
Larry Sinclair in the North is a really good instrument repairer and he has good rates of charge. you can find a link to his site on ever readys website. in my signature

might b worth letting him do up your old horn and get it used again

many thanks,Boozey! I'll think about that...it's been abandoned with no case for years in a lofty all the vaves are rusty (and they are the older ones with the loose springs!) it polishes up well witha silver cloth, but this needs repeating everuy couple of weeks as it is not laquered.

The slides all move though and there are not too many dings in it...so who knows!

Edited: i tried to follow the link, but I can't access the site as our council firewall has blocked it for some reason!!! Can you give me his contact details please? I have had an offer from someone else to look at it for me too, so I'll ask them both for a quote!

I'll keep you posted!!! :)

twigglet
17.03.2003, 17:21
Um_chuck,

Previous comment that baritones are female asside. I think the most obvious but fitting name for one has to be:

BARRY !!

cornetgirl
17.03.2003, 17:38
Don't worry twigglet, I won't splash water on my goddaughter Cornealia, but I will take my responsibilities seriously and buy her lots of valve oil!

Maybe we should have an official christening photo!

Rach x

twigglet
17.03.2003, 17:53
Glad to see that you are taking your godparently duties seriously CG :wink:

...and you'll have to keep her on the straight and narrow, and not let her go off with any trombones........we all know trombones are trouble!

cornetgirl
17.03.2003, 18:02
Don't worry Elin, I won't let her near any nasty trombonists - Fenella the flugel and my new addition to the family, Fenella's new boyfriend Flu (who will enter my life next week!!! :D ) will make sure she doesn't stay out late or associate with any dodgy characters!

Can I have a photo of my little goddaughter please?

Rach x

HBB
17.03.2003, 18:25
Lets hope that she's photogenic :D:D:D

My baby is --- total opposite to me :D

Ben ;)

twigglet
17.03.2003, 22:24
A photo of myself and 'torso' of cornelia can be seen here:

www.wemjubileeband.com/Elin%20Twigge.htm

Sorry about the very very dodgy picture!!

HBB
17.03.2003, 22:26
Was that taken a few years back, because you don't look 17 there, but then again, somepeople think i look different to my age to :? :? :? :?

twigglet
17.03.2003, 22:33
No it is just an extremely dodgy picture, it was only taken in september. A more realistic one is here, but I don't have Cornelia with me, and the hat i'm wearing was part of a game:

www.mmacfadyen.freeserve.co.uk/Tommy%20Cooper!!.jpg

cornetgirl
17.03.2003, 23:03
Well, Cornealia looks very sweet, I'm honoured to be her godmother!!!!

Does she require any presents?

Rach x

twigglet
17.03.2003, 23:08
yes she wants as her christening present:

the ability to play fantastically at all times please

not too much to ask I don't think!

HBB
17.03.2003, 23:10
While you're out shopping could you get Gwynelena some valve oil too! :D Ta!

cornetgirl
17.03.2003, 23:14
yes she wants as her christening present:

the ability to play fantastically at all times please

not too much to ask I don't think!

I shall wave my magic wand......*shimmering noises*

And behold, Cornealia shall play brilliantly and never have bad teeth!!!!

So, Neal....wat'll you provide as a gift!!!!!

Rach x

HBB
17.03.2003, 23:19
That sounded like Pinnoccio!! :D:D:D:D:D

and if you lie ur nose'll come out the bell of your cornet :D:D:D

twigglet
17.03.2003, 23:19
Yes Neal, it would be very ungodfatherly of you to fail at the first hurdle.....the christening gift. what will it be gold, frankinscence or myrr!!

HBB
17.03.2003, 23:20
Well, Cornealia looks very sweet, I'm honoured to be her godmother!!!!

Does she require any presents?

Rach x

Cornelia might Conlealia doesn't :P:P

Helps if you spell your own god-daughters name right :D:D

cornetgirl
17.03.2003, 23:23
So......how do we spell my goddaughter's name then??????

Rach xxx

Mrs Fruity
17.03.2003, 23:30
She's not a goddaughter, she's a godcornet - just like my mother has a grandkitten!!

cornetgirl
17.03.2003, 23:36
Sorry......forgot.......but wasn't the original thread about treating instruments like people??? :wink:

Rach x

Mrs Fruity
17.03.2003, 23:43
Oh yes, of course, I'm always losing my thread - blame that on three weeks of the unmentionable (the P.... word) I love my horn (Hornetta) and wouldn't be parted from her for all the tea in China, even when she's a right old ***** and won't do anything right (as if!)

cornetgirl
17.03.2003, 23:47
I know....I've christened my cornet Jim after my teacher, the one and only Jim Shepherd and he played lots of wrong notes on Friday night the naughty boy - but he behaved himself on stage!!!!

Are we sad....or just normal musicians?????

Rach x

Mrs Fruity
17.03.2003, 23:50
I know - to err is human - to forgive divine - when were bandsmen ever divine? - don't make me larrrffff - me root canals'll fall out and you'll be on all neet!!!

cornetgirl
17.03.2003, 23:53
Don't talk to me about root canals....hate the things and so does my nurse....they're so BORING!!!!!!!! So what it must belike for the patients is anyone's guess!

Rach x

Mrs Fruity
17.03.2003, 23:59
Just imagine Prague with a drill (pp crescendo to mp)...

gorgeous_bari!_player
18.03.2003, 00:47
Its something ive been thinking about for a while - but i need a name for my Gorgeous Baritone - I love it to pieces (not litterally - i would must prefer it 2 be in one piece!) and i feel a bit guilty just calling it instrement :roll:
Im not sure why - but i think i c my baritone as male - proberbly cos i like to keep it safe and it can make me feel good even when im not - and it gives me confidence :oops:

i liked the name barry - but i was thinking of something more original, maybe something a bit different and i bit distingished - after all all he is quite old 8) (i hav no ideas tho)
Ne one got ne ideas - cos its like a teddy - it cant just b a teddy - he needs to hav a name :D

Roger Thorne
18.03.2003, 01:26
but i was thinking of something more original, maybe something a bit different and a bit distingished - after all all he is quite old 8) (i hav no ideas tho)

Something original, a bit different, distinguished, and old.

You might as well call him ROGER

:wink:

Keppler
18.03.2003, 11:49
Ah yes... well I couldn't give my gift until today cos I needed it yesterday, but here!

To Cornealia, I bequeathe this golden lyre. Upon it, in fiery letters in the ancient musical language, is inscribed "One march to rule them all, one march to blind them. One march to inspire them all, and on St. Patrick's Day, hopefully, survive to the end of the parade"

Keep it secret, keep it safe..

dodgy_mark
18.03.2003, 15:47
Hi Nat!!

Mine is called Percy :roll:

twigglet
18.03.2003, 15:48
I think roger is a very fitting name for the baritone! :wink:

Neal your gift is trully inspired, i'm sure Cornealia will love it!

I did get shouted at by cornetgirl and homocidalbennyboy for being a bad parent because apparently i've already spelt Cornealia's name wrong!

Oops i apologise, I'll concentrate more in the future......... I'm just to young to have this kind of responsibility!! :cry:

HBB
18.03.2003, 17:39
I'm sorry Twigglet,

and I forgive you, coz I don't think ur THAT bad a mum, and plus, its not nice being spoken like that :D:D:D:D:D

How many days before you can get rid of Roger :D:D:P

cornetgirl
18.03.2003, 19:00
I didn't shout Twigz, I just got confuzzled.... easily done!

Hope Cornealia is enjoying her presents and being a good little cornet!

Rach x

cornetgirl
18.03.2003, 19:31
As a name person....may I suggest the following as a name for your gorgeous baritone...

BARRINGTON ROGER

Keeps the Bari bit in and doesn't upset the moderator!!!!

Rach x

HBB
18.03.2003, 19:39
Its something ive been thinking about for a while - but i need a name for my Gorgeous Baritone - I love it to pieces (not litterally - i would must prefer it 2 be in one piece!) and i feel a bit guilty just calling it instrement :roll:
Im not sure why - but i think i c my baritone as male - proberbly cos i like to keep it safe and it can make me feel good even when im not - and it gives me confidence :oops:

i liked the name barry - but i was thinking of something more original, maybe something a bit different and i bit distingished - after all all he is quite old 8) (i hav no ideas tho)
Ne one got ne ideas - cos its like a teddy - it cant just b a teddy - he needs to hav a name :D

How about

Wilfred?
Ian :P
Ted?

they're all 'old' names !

twigglet
18.03.2003, 20:47
BARRINGTON ROGER what a great name CG!

It sounds old and distinguished, only a quality baritone can be worthy of such a double barelled, eloquent name....

jfenwick
26.04.2003, 20:57
My drum kit doesn't have a name but it's that **** whenever I go to play in band I say it's worse than the **** at the front

You wanna blow my what?
27.04.2003, 03:13
does anyone else treat their instrument like a baby??? :)

Nope! :D

Lisa
27.04.2003, 14:37

I know the feeling! I didn't want to hand in my cornet when I went to uni in September even though I had my own cornet that I bought about a year b4. Up until I went to uni I hardly played on my new cornet as it just didn't sound the same or feel the same as my band one (even though they were both the same make). :(

I'm getting used to it now though! I think it probably just needs 'wearing in' - maybe in a couple more years I will fall in love with it! :D

angie
27.04.2003, 20:04
I used to play a gold sovereign called jeff(some reference to eddie izzard)
for the past couple of years I've played a newer silver model and have not yet named it, though perhaps it would play better under an identity! something i should consider.
i play an ancient imperial sop and it looks a bit like a piece of victorian plumming apparatus, though ironically it seems to make a better sound and the valves are much more willing move when asked than my shiny new sovereign.

SoloBaritone
28.04.2003, 13:10
I play on a Courtois with a lovely crease in the bell and most of the laquer is coming off, I still love it!

Jayne

bagpuss
28.04.2003, 21:27
I could think of a name for it Elin but unfortunately, this is a PUBLIC and POLITE forum and it would get *bleeped*!!!!

I have no name for my percussion equipment other than LOUD or LOUDER!! Actually, not quite true. My large Tam Tam is called Tammy!!

Here Puss Puss Puss Puss

Nat
30.04.2003, 17:02
my instrument is officially dying :cry:

groovy
30.04.2003, 21:53
:cry: Poor instrument!
In what way exactly is it dying? Has it just given up? :?

cornetgirl
01.05.2003, 00:31
Ooh dear - dead cornets are never ideal!

Send it to Dr. Rach - I'll make it better!

Rach x

TheMusicMan
01.05.2003, 00:34
my instrument is officially dying :cry:

Hey Nat... what's up with your dying instrument.... there's a tMP member on here who does magic with 'dying instruments'... if he/she doesn't see this thread I'll seek them out for you ... :lol:

PS: I should nominate your avatar in the awards eh! (that'l get 'em all thinking :wink: )

Nat
06.05.2003, 16:23
its just really old and worn and it has been a good friend to me!!

cornetgirl
06.05.2003, 19:59
Maybe it should enter a long and distinguished retirement whilst still living with you, training a new, younger cornet to take its place?! 8)

Rach x

Stewart
07.05.2003, 14:16
I've never really 'bonded' with my current bari so it's never got a name other than "that *beep*-ing pile of scrap metal" :wink:

Nik_The_Insane
07.05.2003, 15:18
hmm I think all the "good notes" my bass was endowed with from it's outset have all been used up now, only the duff/split ones left now :?

trebor
08.05.2003, 23:15
I play a 15 year old Lacquered Sovereign Tenor Horn. Love the sound it makes but can't afford to change it married with responsibilites so they tell me. :)