PDA

View Full Version : Brighouse & the Unthanks

Brian Bowen
18.11.2011, 21:15
I realise BBC programming is facing financial cut-backs but two consecutive weeks of Brighouse playing (uncomfortably at times) second fiddle to the Unthanks folk band at a live concert is hardly listen to the band! For the only radio programme in the UK supposedly dedicated to brass bands it seems to be a lost cause.

euphalogy
18.11.2011, 22:06
Were doomed !!!

GJG
19.11.2011, 00:20
No, no, Brian, you've misunderstood; this is "innovative" programming. If you were able to travel, you would be able to look forward to lots of this kind of thing at "Brass In Concert" this weekend. This is where brass bands do lots of interesting and "entertaining" things, that apparently remove the need for them to play quality brass music to a high standard ...

George BB
19.11.2011, 10:50
I'm glad that someone has commented on this. The first week I listened on radio and thought it was rubbish but as I had recorded it on my little walkman I listened again on earphones and that brought out the lyrics. (that is a consequence of being old and needing hearing aids). I must say that I enjoyed it then and also the second week but look forward to getting back to "proper Brass" and hopefully staying there. I can listen to all the folk I want on the dedicated folk programmes of which there is no shortage but please auntie beeb keep giving us our Bands, and how about getting back to the hour we had a few years ago.

ploughboy
19.11.2011, 14:13
Aye, lets get back to a March, Overture and Cornet Solo at the start of every concert. . . that'll brighten our futures!

Lets not think about all those folk fans who have gone to an Unthanks gig and found they've enjoyed the sound of a brass band, and maybe, just maybe, they'll go to their local band concert when they see one advertised.

I like to listen to new pieces, and different arrangements, I like my bands to entertain visually and musically. I do not want to listen to the same old 50 ish pieces churned round and round again, no matter how well they are played!!

JimboFB
19.11.2011, 16:49
I realise BBC programming is facing financial cut-backs but two consecutive weeks of Brighouse playing (uncomfortably at times) second fiddle to the Unthanks folk band at a live concert is hardly listen to the band! For the only radio programme in the UK supposedly dedicated to brass bands it seems to be a lost cause.

What a ridiculous post. .I had the absoluet pleasure of playing in the concert in Bristol. Whether you like the radio programming or not, i can tell you that the hall was packed out, totally sold out with people queuing outside for any left over tickets. (this is not something that i am familiar with happening with 'normal' brss band concerts!

Personally, i hardly ever tune in to LTTB as i cant stand the same old nonsense churned out every couple of weeks. Oh look - highlights of some gala concert, what a suprise Pines of Rome AGAIN!!!!!! It really drives me mad.

All everyone keeps banging on about is innovation innovation blah blah blah, but when a band makes a brave move to innovate its ridiculed.

johnmartin
19.11.2011, 18:38
What a ridiculous post. .I had the absoluet pleasure of playing in the concert in Bristol. Whether you like the radio programming or not, i can tell you that the hall was packed out, totally sold out with people queuing outside for any left over tickets. (this is not something that i am familiar with happening with 'normal' brss band concerts!

Personally, i hardly ever tune in to LTTB as i cant stand the same old nonsense churned out every couple of weeks. Oh look - highlights of some gala concert, what a suprise Pines of Rome AGAIN!!!!!! It really drives me mad.

All everyone keeps banging on about is innovation innovation blah blah blah, but when a band makes a brave move to innovate its ridiculed.Totally agree with your comments.

We have to look at doing something different if it means opening brass music to a wider audience. As an old friend of mine once said "if you always do what you've always done then don't be surprised if you alway get what you always got".

Brian Bowen
19.11.2011, 21:47

If you read my comments again, maybe you'll notice my criticism is not of the actual concert held in Bristol but of the BBC for playing excerpts two weeks running in a programme supposedly intended to feature brass bands. And no, I'm not interested in hearing the same old band repertoire played over and over again. It seems to me the broadcasts actually featured folk singing (nothing wrong that form of music making) with Brighouse mainly in the background. I'm inclined to think some other musical aggregations could have performed that role more suitably. Did I ridicule the band or the concert? Certainly not!

arniesarnies
28.11.2011, 14:50
Hi, time for brass, Manx radio 9-10pm every Monday night. Been going now for over 20 year's and totally dedicated to brass. 97.2fm or download via the Manx radio app. Brass banding in the isle of man is very much alive and kicking. Tune in sometime.

Arniesarnies.

P_S_Price
28.11.2011, 14:59
If you read my comments again, maybe you'll notice my criticism is not of the actual concert held in Bristol but of the BBC for playing excerpts two weeks running in a programme supposedly intended to feature brass bands. And no, I'm not interested in hearing the same old band repertoire played over and over again. It seems to me the broadcasts actually featured folk singing (nothing wrong that form of music making) with Brighouse mainly in the background. I'm inclined to think some other musical aggregations could have performed that role more suitably. Did I ridicule the band or the concert? Certainly not!

One assumes that you were listening over the Tinterweb? I bet the quality is a lot better than that from my Radio

sharpnote
09.12.2011, 16:57
I hope more people liked it than not! Having had the pleasure to be involved in this project I have experienced first hand the warmth and gratitude which the Band received from audiences who perhaps had not even heard a brass band before. This has got to be a good thing for our dying hobby?

Perhaps, for me, the music was not to my taste initially, but it grew on me and now I can honestly say I now enjoy it! The Unthanks have a strong following throughout Britain with the gigs receiving a lot of positive reviews from the National press, perhaps not as much as it should have in the brass circles, so I think it's good of the BBC to show the public what all the "hype" was about! I think the recordings are great, as do my friends who came to our local gig in Leeds who literally couldn't wait to hear it all again and keep pestering me to this day for the CD release date!!

Admittedly, the playing ain't 100% in this recording but trust me, it's hard work to follow a cappella-style folk singing, especially after a long drive to Bristol! Sorry if you didn't enjoy it, I guess these 2 LTTB recordings are for those who did.

Listen again if you get the chance, it might grow on you too...