PDA

View Full Version : scaba Autumn Contest 2011

SCABA Media
03.10.2011, 18:43
The full list of bands taking part in this contest at the Leas Cliff Hall, Folkestone on Saturday 8th October can be found on the association web site - www.scaba.co.uk (http://www.scaba.co.uk)

BrianT
03.10.2011, 19:12
Wantage Band will be there in force - we're fielding three bands, competing in the Youth, Second and Championship sections!

Daisy Duck
03.10.2011, 19:24
I'm looking forward to it, I'll be there on day transfer with Horsham Borough Band.

Maestro
03.10.2011, 19:37
Any prices on this one Paddy?

supersplit
03.10.2011, 19:51
I'll be there with Shanklin in the Second section and Tilbury in the First Section!

Accidental
03.10.2011, 20:02
Shanklin from Essex? Thats a long journey to rehearsals.....!

supersplit
03.10.2011, 20:06
Shanklin from Essex? Thats a long journey to rehearsals.....!

Just did it for the weekend! 350 mile round trip give or take!

The things we do for family!

Paddy Flower
04.10.2011, 12:22
Any prices on this one Paddy?

I'm in...

Championship Section

Friary Guildford - 1/16 fav

Wantage Silver 'A' - 11/4

Soham Comrades - 22/1

First Section

Chichester City - 4/1 jt fav

Littleport Brass - 4/1 jt fav

Alder Valley Brass - 9/2

Tilbury - 11/2

Horsham Borough - 13/2

Northfleet Brass - 15/2

Brassband Gent - 10/1

BAE Systems Brass - 16/1

Colchester - 18/1

Fairlop Brass - 25/1

Epping Forest - 50/1

Second Section

St Sebastian Wokingham - 9/4 fav

Hitchin - 100/30

Wantage Silver 'B' - 100/30

Brighton & Hove City Brass - 11/2

Shanklin Town Brass - 14/1

Amersham - 18/1

Oxted - 18/1

Cranbrook Town - 18/1

Medway Concert Brass - 20/1

Cold Ash Brass - 22/1

Third Section

Sussex Brass (Hastings) - 4/6 fav

Snowdown Colliery - 13/8

Charles Church Camberley - 6/1

Cobham - 7/1

stevetrom
04.10.2011, 14:18
I'll be there with Soham

Bungle
04.10.2011, 14:22
I'll be there along with three other players who are attending their first contest for Cranbrook, Dave Jackman on trombone, Nick Sermon on baritone and Bob Town on Bb Bass. Also making a welcome return will be Matt Jacobs on Cornet who has moved back to Kent.

Adamskied
04.10.2011, 19:36
1/16 for Friary.

Best odds ever seen, oh sorry worst odds
ever seen.

You really do think we are gonna win dont ya

Maybe should put a few wrong ones in to make
it a bit more interesting. Lol. Before Accidental
says anything like "could you actually put anymore
wrong ones in than normal" thought had better get that
in first lol.

Good luck to everyone.

Simon_Horn
05.10.2011, 01:55
Here is my predication:

Championship
1. Wantage
2. Friary
3. Soham Comrades

First Section
1. Alder Valley Brass
2. Horsham Borough
3. Northfleet Brass
4. Littleport Brass
5. Tilbury

essexgirl
08.10.2011, 19:53
any results yet please...

LynneW
08.10.2011, 20:08
any results yet please...

Results are now on their website www.scaba.co.uk

Edward Crane
09.10.2011, 02:34
I should have placed a bet on Brass Band Ghent ! :clap:

Pauli Walnuts
09.10.2011, 23:09
I hear they announced it was the last one to be held at Folkestone - anyone know what the reason for that is?

bumper-euph
09.10.2011, 23:35
Probably expense, but both the Spring and Autumn Contests are being held at the Hawth from next year I believe , along with the others.........shame really.

tsawyer
09.10.2011, 23:54
Can anyone help with test pieces played please?

http://brassbandresults.co.uk/contests/SCABA-AUTUMN-CONTEST/2011/

thanks,

Tim.

Daisy Duck
10.10.2011, 10:13

thanks,

Tim.

Horsham Borough Band played Tallis Variations by Philip Sparke
BAE Systems played Endeavor by Philip Sparke
Alder Valley played Voyage of Discovery by Goff Richards
Chichester played Music for Thanksgiving (or something along those lines)
I think Brighton and Hove played Malvern Suite
Sussex (Hasings) played Malvern Suite
Friary Guildford played Rococco Variations
Soham played Partita by Philip Sparke
Wantage Silver A played Jazz

Ipswich trom
10.10.2011, 10:41
Colchester and Northfleet both played "The Saga of Haakon the Good"

bumper-euph
10.10.2011, 11:09
Snowdown Colliery played Labour and Love...oh, and the National Anthem.......

Paul Sanders
10.10.2011, 11:33
Cold Ash played Triptych (Sparke)

Bungle
10.10.2011, 14:24
Cranbrook, along with two other bands played Aeronauts (Richards)

ibrox
10.10.2011, 14:28
Medway Concert Brass plaed Dark Side of the Moon (PLC)

Flugelmahorn
10.10.2011, 15:01
Amersham played Philip Sparke's "Music For A Festival"

Daisy Duck
10.10.2011, 16:09
Amersham played Philip Sparke's "Music For A Festival"

If you look on Brass Band Results Most Successful Own Choice piece... http://brassbandresults.co.uk/pieces/BestOwnChoice/

It's Music for a Festival!

Well done Amersham!

SCABA Media
10.10.2011, 18:10
I hear they announced it was the last one to be held at Folkestone - anyone know what the reason for that is?

Expense does play a part but it is not the whole reason.

The Leas Cliff Hall is a very difficult venue for those with disabilities which of course the Association has to be very mindful of.

The Bands also play a huge part in decision making and there were many suggestions to make The Hawth the scaba contesting venue.

So that is what has happened. With coaches able to park on site the instruments can be secure and of course there is ample free parking.

Access is easy at the stage door if you are using extra percussion ...... and then of course the costings.

scaba hopes the bands will enjoy the new home. Plese keep us up to speed with your views.

All dates for next year can be found @ www.scaba.co.uk (http://www.scaba.co.uk)

scaba Media

Edward Crane
11.10.2011, 10:46

thanks,

Tim.

Brass Band Ghent played Brass Triumphant by Gareth Woods

Am I ME?
11.10.2011, 14:02
Shanklin Town played Occasion
Shanklin Town Youth played Stantonbury Festival

Sueperc
11.10.2011, 20:57
Wantage Youth Band played Anglian Dances by Alan Fernie and Wantage B played The Once and Future King.

Basstiger
11.10.2011, 21:26
Oxted played "Shine as the Light" (Peter Graham)

euphsrock
11.10.2011, 21:34

thanks,

Tim.

Cobham - Three Songs Without Words, Eric Ball

waynefiler
11.10.2011, 22:54
Before anyone starts slagging me, yes it is probably sour grapes. Our performance had our faults and could have played a lot better and we all knew that we were probably not going to win.

I don’t have a problem with lower section bands fighting above their weight but I thought any competing band entering the 2nd section competition had to play an appropriate test piece of that section... or am I wrong. So when bands competing in the 2nd section played test pieces of lower gradings, I believe those bands should have been adjudicated respectively.

All but 3 bands played a piece relating to the section they were playing in, 5 bands from section below (one of which graded 3rd section from 1989!) 1 band from the 4th section and 1 not even a test piece (though rumored to be one for next year’s areas)

The adjudicator is a colleague of mine (kind of) and I’m not complaining about his adjudicating as his comments were fair. I feel that
even though graded each performance on its merit, I don't feel that he has a thorough understanding of the gradings of each piece thus grading accordingly. If bands are going to play lower graded test pieces then they should compete in a lower section. If this is not the case, what is stopping bands like Black Dyke and Cory playing a piece such as The Aeronauts, and playing it perfectly rather than having Peter Graham, PLC or Martin Ellerby commission something crazy to be played at the Europeans!

I do congratulate Amersham for winning. A win is a win is a win!

And to finish... these views are of my own opinions and do not reflect those of Saint Sebastian’s Band.

Alright everyone... let me have it!

bumper-euph
12.10.2011, 02:24
Blimey........you're very brave....

hobgoblin
12.10.2011, 06:59
Before anyone starts slagging me, yes it is probably sour grapes. Our performance had our faults and could have played a lot better and we all knew that we were probably not going to win. I donít have a problem with lower section bands fighting above their weight but I thought any competing band entering the 2nd section competition had to play an appropriate test piece of that section... or am I wrong. So when bands competing in the 2nd section played test pieces of lower gradings, I believe those bands should have been adjudicated respectively. All but 3 bands played a piece relating to the section they were playing in, 5 bands from section below (one of which graded 3rd section from 1989!) 1 band from the 4th section and 1 not even a test piece (though rumored to be one for next yearís areas) The adjudicator is a colleague of mine (kind of) and Iím not complaining about his adjudicating as his comments were fair. I feel that even though graded each performance on its merit, I don't feel that he has a thorough understanding of the gradings of each piece thus grading accordingly. If bands are going to play lower graded test pieces then they should compete in a lower section. If this is not the case, what is stopping bands like Black Dyke and Cory playing a piece such as The Aeronauts, and playing it perfectly rather than having Peter Graham, PLC or Martin Ellerby commission something crazy to be played at the Europeans! black Dyke I do congratulate Amersham for winning. A win is a win is a win! And to finish... these views are of my own opinions and do not reflect those of Saint Sebastianís Band. Alright everyone... let me have it! I understand the point you are making but sadly you are wrong. If for arguments sake Cory/Dyke had entered your section at the weekend and played say Indian Summer or some other "easy" piece I would imagine they would have won. I'll leave you to draw your own conclusions on that (perhaps you think they wouldn't win), but they would probably win because they sounded "better" through being more in tune, together, and playing a piece which did not cruelly expose their short-comings. Maybe it's your band rather than the other bands pieces that were in the wrong section, or you just over extended yourselves?

waynefiler
12.10.2011, 08:39
I understand the point you are making but sadly you are wrong. If for arguments sake Cory/Dyke had entered your section at the weekend and played say Indian Summer or some other "easy" piece I would imagine they would have won. I'll leave you to draw your own conclusions on that (perhaps you think they wouldn't win), but they would probably win because they sounded "better" through being more in tune, together, and playing a piece which did not cruelly expose their short-comings. Maybe it's your band rather than the other bands pieces that were in the wrong section, or you just over extended yourselves?

Sorry Hobgoblin it is you who is wrong, the point that i'm making is that if a band wishes to contest in any section then they should play a piece that its difficulty reflects unless whats the point of have different sections. Dyke/Cory would have undoubtedly won in the 2nd section playing Indian Summer but what if the played that at the Europeans? coming up against bands playing Extreme Makeover and Red Priest? They would have nailed their performance hands down, but the level of difficulty would have been a question.

I'm not questioning that my band were not at fault, we played well but too many untidy moments took us out of the running, and I accept that. Our piece was a test but not in away the over stretched us. I don't once again have a problem with bands playing in different section but their choice of music must reflect that. SCABA have published a list of "suggested testpieces" that 60% of the bands in the section chose from the section below they were playing in. Here is my problem. If a 4th section band competed in the 2nd playing a 2nd section piece and won, I would not be sat writing this, but alas this is not the case.

bumper-euph
12.10.2011, 09:38
The band I play in, Snowdown Colliery, tries , as much as possible , to play pieces from the section above so that you are striving to improve in all aspects , but we can't always do this as time is a problem when you only have one rehearsal each week. We played "Labour and Love" last saturday which I believe comes from the recomended list for 2nd section. If we were to try our luck in the 2nd section we would of course pick a piece from that list.........
Perhaps it would be viable for SCABA to give a definitive list each AGM and then you must play one of those pieces according to your graded section, or choose one from above .

stevetrom
12.10.2011, 09:38
As far as I know there is no such thing as a '2nd (or 1st or Championship or 3rd or 4th) Section Test Piece', yes you can look back at previous contests and see what has been played but there is no official list of test pieces by section. So at an own choice contest every band is free to select whatever test piece they choose.

bumper-euph
12.10.2011, 09:40
If you look on SCABA website there is a list of RECOMENDED test pieces for each section....

DeeTee
12.10.2011, 09:47
My view is they should have about 30 pieces you have to choose from in each section then would stop bands playing easier pieces. Of course bands should play a piece well if easier piece but bands should try to push themselves. Something does need to be done to make it fair

Daisy Duck
12.10.2011, 09:56
The SCABA sections don't really match up to national sections. There are lots of 3rd section bands in the 2nd section of SCABA. There are also some "4th section" test pieces on the 2nd section SCABA recommended list such as Lydian Pictures and Henry V.

Shine As The Light may well not be an "official" test piece, but that doesn't mean it's easy!

What did St Sebastian Wokingham play?

WhatSharp?
12.10.2011, 10:05
The other option is to apply a weighting to the piece. If you play a piece which is regarded as being from a lower section then points are deducted.

It's always a lottery with own choice contests, if you play an "easier" piece you increase your chances ( for those bands that wish to go pot hunting ) but it's self defeating as sooner or later the other bands get fed up and pull out of the contest causing it to close , or opt for an easier piece in which case the atandard of bands in the area drops. I understand the argument about "it shouldn't matter what you play" but personallg i dont feel it does anyone any good.

Accidental
12.10.2011, 10:14
SCABA have published a list of "suggested testpieces" that 60% of the bands in the section chose from the section below they were playing in. Here is my problem. If a 4th section band competed in the 2nd playing a 2nd section piece and won, I would not be sat writing this, but alas this is not the case.

If you look on SCABA website there is a list of RECOMENDED test pieces for each section....
The scaba list, here, (http://www.scaba.co.uk/suggested-test-pieces/) is only "suggested", NOT "reccommended" and bands are free to use it as a guideline or ignore it, to pick music from the list or not. I personally wouldn;t like to see a situation where we're dictating to the bands what they can or can't play - picking a suitable piece and playing it well is part of the game imho.

You only have to look at the discussions after the test pieces are announced for every round of areas/National finals/Spring Festival/Butlins etc etc to see just how impossible it is to say what section a piece really is - Henry V is a good example! Its subjective, and its up to the MDs and bands to pick what suits their needs best and balance playability, development, suitable standard, chance of a good performance etc....
I'd like to think most adjudicators, including Mr Norley, are capable of weighing difficulty against the quality of performance and judging accordingly.

The scaba list also pokes holes in your argument (sorry!) because the pieces played by the first and last placed bands (Music for a Festival and The Aeronauts) are both listed under 2nd section.....

Anglo Music Press
12.10.2011, 10:18
None of my business this, but I do feel very strongly that the difficulty of an own choice piece should have no effect on the result - unless you perhaps get two perfect performances to compare, which never happens. It is the quality of the performance that counts, not the number of hurdles that have to be overcome to achieve it. That way madness lies.

MoominDave
12.10.2011, 10:38
An interesting point that I turned up recently in looking at some old (pre WW2) contest results is that we did not then make much, if any, effort to select pieces of varying difficulties for different sections. It was not uncommon for set pieces to move back and forth between sections. The demarcation in difficulty between sections is rather a modern obsession.

We all get outrageously uncomplimentary contest results from time to time - much better to just suck it up and come back for the next one than to whinge about it on the internet. And I speak as one who has whinged from time to time! (10th at areas 2008 off a decent performance - where did that one come from, Mr. Adjudicator?)

Anglo Music Press
12.10.2011, 10:49
We all get outrageously uncomplimentary contest results from time to time - much better to just suck it up and come back for the next one than to whinge about it on the internet. And I speak as one who has whinged from time to time! (10th at areas 2008 off a decent performance - where did that one come from, Mr. Adjudicator?)

Not that you bear a grudge! What about 1987 - a travesty!!!

WhatSharp?
12.10.2011, 10:50
- much better to just suck it up and come back for the next one than to whinge about it on the internet.

Spoilsport! :D

Accidental
12.10.2011, 10:57
All but 3 bands played a piece relating to the section they were playing in, 5 bands from section below (one of which graded 3rd section from 1989!) 1 band from the 4th section and 1 not even a test piece (though rumored to be one for next year’s areas)
<snip>
SCABA have published a list of "suggested testpieces" that 60% of the bands in the section chose from the section below they were playing in.
Sorry mate, but actually out of the 10 bands in the 2nd section on Saturday, 80% played pieces off the scaba list - 6 from the 2nd section list (including the winners and 2 others playing the same as Saints), 1 from the 1st section list and 1 off the 3rd/youth section list (which came 2nd to last).
The other 2 bands played pieces that have been set for the 3rd section nationally. As scaba gradings are a section higher than national ones for many bands, and the same could be said for several pieces that are on the list, those choices seem appropriate.

And all that said, I also totally agree with Philip and the Moomin...
we all get results we don't think we deserve sometimes (including wins!!), unfortunately its part of the game.

MoominDave
12.10.2011, 11:21
Not that you bear a grudge! What about 1987 - a travesty!!!

Heehee... At least I wasn't complaining about 9th at areas 2009, given by a certain P. Sparke! That one we deserved - in good part due to getting the confidence knocked out of us the year before.

1987 - were you really that dissatisfied with 3rd in the 2nd section? http://brassbandresults.co.uk/contests/london-and-southern-counties-second-section/1987-03-08/
(http://brassbandresults.co.uk/contests/london-and-southern-counties-second-section/1987-03-08/)Maybe you mean 1988? http://brassbandresults.co.uk/contests/london-and-southern-counties-championship-section/1988-03-13/

davidquinlan
12.10.2011, 11:23
The adjudicator can only make a decision based on what he/she can hear....

A higher section band playing a difficult/ambitious piece poorly or below average ? or having an off day..
A lower section band playing a less difficult piece well ?

In a blind contest how can they tell?

I don't think there should be marks for "attempting" something difficult, music is either right or wrong, almost right (i.e. tuning intonation, rhythm etc..), is still wrong... if you attempt something difficult and don't perform it well, you've left yourself open to be placed lower than a band who performs their choice better, whether they are lower section or not.

People tend to hear/remember their own performances with "rose tinted ears" and rarely (although some do) have listened to all others in their contest for comparison.

Contests are a lottery anyway, you can play well and win, play well and lose, play pants and win, play pants and lose.... if it goes to plan on stage, be happy. :)

Anglo Music Press
12.10.2011, 12:01
Heehee... At least I wasn't complaining about 9th at areas 2009, given by a certain P. Sparke! That one we deserved - in good part due to getting the confidence knocked out of us the year before.

1987 - were you really that dissatisfied with 3rd in the 2nd section? http://brassbandresults.co.uk/contests/london-and-southern-counties-second-section/1987-03-08/
(http://brassbandresults.co.uk/contests/london-and-southern-counties-second-section/1987-03-08/)Maybe you mean 1988? http://brassbandresults.co.uk/contests/london-and-southern-counties-championship-section/1988-03-13/

Ah, yes! 1988.............. we were rubbish, and Mr Bourgeois kindly pointed this out to us............

waynefiler
12.10.2011, 14:15
OK Alex, I checked my figures, granted 6 bands did play music relating to your (SCABA) suggested list but that means 4 did not. Not on your list were Once and future king and dark side of moon that were 3rd section areas 4 or 5 years ago.
Im sorry if i'm going over old news but if the people at SCABA find the time to put out a suggested list then surely we should stick to it. What's the point of publishing it otherwise!

I'm favouring the Europeans way of dealing with it, give a list of say 15 pieces that bands are to choose from.

Yes we have all had bad results and that is not my point, if Saints had 100% nailed Aeronauts and then had won I'd still be making my comments. Not once in my posts have I said or implied "we were robbed"

My opinion wrongly or rightly is that if you contest in a section that a suggested list is published then you should adhere to it. Then muppets like me won't have a problem.

Accidental
12.10.2011, 14:44
OK Alex, I checked my figures, granted 6 bands did play music relating to your (SCABA) suggested list but that means 4 did not. Not on your list were Once and future king and dark side of moon that were 3rd section areas 4 or 5 years ago.
Check again - 8 bands played music off the scaba list. 1 was from the higher section list, 1 from the lower. Yes, you could argue that the lower section choice was inappropriate, but that band made a conscious decision to play an easier piece due to the time they had available to prepare and arguably paid for it with their result (9th). The other 2
played pieces that have been set for the 3rd section nationally. As scaba gradings are a section higher than national ones for many bands, and the same could be said for several pieces that are on the list, those choices seem appropriate.

Im sorry if i'm going over old news but if the people at SCABA find the time to put out a suggested list then surely we should stick to it. What's the point of publishing it otherwise!
Because it is just a suggestion. Its on the website as a resource for the bands, its just there as a guideline and was never intended to be definitive or prescriptive. Several bands exercise the choice to ignore that list and play pieces that aren't on it and I personally think that's totally ok (FGB have picked pieces that aren't on that list for the last 3 years!) There have also been suggestions recently that the list is taken down to avoid just these sorts of situation.

There's nothing in the contest rules or schedule about what type or standards of pieces bands should be playing, and only a very small minority of people ever raise this as an issue which is why nothing's changed. If you do strongly believe there should be some kind of ruling, then please come along to a scaba meeting or feed it back through your band rep (usually secretary or contest secretary), and ask them to keep an eye out for a questionnaire which will be coming out to member bands from the contest manager soon.

Sorry mate, but I think we're going to have to agree to disagree this time xx

Bungle
12.10.2011, 14:47
Like the progressive association that SCABA are, they were trying to help bands by producing a list of pieces, now you are using it to beat them with. I was surprised myself when I heard Music for a Festival being played in our section but we can't blame the adjudicator for picking the best musical performance. Although we were disapointed with our results I thought Paul Norley's comments were fair and constructive, I also was pleasently surprised that he offered to discuss any comments with the bands. I would be happy to see him at another SCABA contest.

waynefiler
12.10.2011, 15:59
Alex, I make 7 chose from the SCABA list, Once and future king, dark side and shine as a light not on your list, but we're splitting hairs here. Yes friary have decided to choose their own test piece the past 3 years. But of those three years how many times have they chosen from the section below?
No doubt thus topic doesn't arise very often, nor am I calling for any major changes. Taking down the list might not necessarily help, who is going to make the decision to whether a piece is appropriate or not?

I'd welcome Paul Norley back too he's a fair adjudicator.

Alex I agree to disagree too xx

I'm voting for Free World Fantasy for next year, perhaps Friary will play it too...

Daisy Duck
12.10.2011, 17:12
Alex, I make 7 chose from the SCABA list, Once and future king, dark side and shine as a light not on your list, but we're splitting hairs here. Yes friary have decided to choose their own test piece the past 3 years. But of those three years how many times have they chosen from the section below?
No doubt thus topic doesn't arise very often, nor am I calling for any major changes. Taking down the list might not necessarily help, who is going to make the decision to whether a piece is appropriate or not?

I'd welcome Paul Norley back too he's a fair adjudicator.

Alex I agree to disagree too xx

I'm voting for Free World Fantasy for next year, perhaps Friary will play it too...

Once and Future King and Dark Side of the Moon were both 3rd section regionals test pieces, which for SCABA purposes pretty much makes them ideal 2nd section pieces. Dark Side of the Moon has been played at Hove several times before in the 2nd section. I don't think you can complain about either of these pieces being used at a SCABA 2nd section contest.

SCABA's 2nd section does not equate to the national gradings. Many SCABA 2nd section bands are graded 3rd section nationally. SCABA's suggested test piece list does not equate to the national grading system either.

I think Paul Norley is a very fair adjudicator but it must be so hard to be a an adjudicator at an own choice contest. However, the basic things that all adjudicators look for - intonation, dynamics, balance etc etc etc etc, will always be the same and can be shown through any test piece. Some MDs choose a piece that may be considered "too easy" in order to give their band some confidence, give a great performance and hopefully do well. Other MDs choose a piece that may be a bit challenging for the band in order to push his players - of course they still hope for a good performance and it's good to challenge ourselves, but maybe at Folkestone lots of MDs chose to play it safe.

Nigel Hall
12.10.2011, 18:03
I can speak from personal experience of this section, having adjudicated it last year - several bands, I felt, were playing pieces that were either not suited to their standard or just had "a bad day at the office" - comments which I made from the stage at the end of the contest. I always remember the late great Geoff Whitham standing on stage after adjudicating an own chioce contest say in his wonderfully blunt Yorkshire dialect - "A comment now to all of the conductors in today's contest, if tha thought that playing a harder piece badly was going to impress me, tha's sadly mistaken"

SCABA I think do not need to enforce a choice of music on the bands - the MD's should choose with care - always choose a piece that is going to play your band's strengths not highlight any potential weaknesses.

GJG
12.10.2011, 18:12
- "A comment now to all of the conductors in today's contest, if tha thought that playing a harder piece badly was going to impress me, tha's sadly mistaken"

... a sentiment I have heard expressed in similar terms by other adjudicators over the years. (I seem to remember David Read saying something along similar lines at Folkestone several years back after a section littered with over-ambitious choices - I think his exact comment was, "I do know how these pieces go, you know")

It has to be said, however that with some adjudicators the actual results don't always reflect the principle ...

Chris Hicks
13.10.2011, 00:06

I'd love to know about that result that year, to this day my dad tells me it's the best performance he has ever played on stage, and something my uncle also brought up totally out of the blue a few weeks back, yet they (newham) were awarded 8th, and since then Bourgeois has never been invited back to adjudicate the area? Any care to share some light?

Anglo Music Press
13.10.2011, 09:35
I'd love to know about that result that year, to this day my dad tells me it's the best performance he has ever played on stage, and something my uncle also brought up totally out of the blue a few weeks back, yet they (newham) were awarded 8th, and since then Bourgeois has never been invited back to adjudicate the area? Any care to share some light?

It was our first Area in the top section and it is amazing that I can still remember our remarks after 23 years - "if you could hear yourselves from here, you would be wincing". I'm sure he was right, but...........

James Yelland
13.10.2011, 09:52
Why don't you all stop wasting your time and money going to contests and just play your choice of music to concert audiences at times of your choosing? You'll find that concert audiences will applaud your efforts, they will be generally encouraging no matter how well you play, they will pay to listen to you, and any technical or musical deficiencies in the performance can safely be left to your Musical Director to address after the event. He will have a far better idea of what went right or wrong than a complete stranger whose attention is being constantly diverted from the performance by the need to write notes, whose critical faculties have been deliberately impaired by the need to sit in a wooden box, and who is likely to be less familiar with the music than the people he is listening to. A no-brainer, surely?

Anglo Music Press
13.10.2011, 10:04
Why don't you all stop wasting your time and money going to contests and just play your choice of music to concert audiences at times of your choosing? You'll find that concert audiences will applaud your efforts, they will be generally encouraging no matter how well you play, they will pay to listen to you, and any technical or musical deficiencies in the performance can safely be left to your Musical Director to address after the event. He will have a far better idea of what went right or wrong than a complete stranger whose attention is being constantly diverted from the performance by the need to write notes, whose critical faculties have been deliberately impaired by the need to sit in a wooden box, and who is likely to be less familiar with the music than the people he is listening to. A no-brainer, surely?

Hang on, just going to get my worm-can opener! :)

Bob Sherunkle
13.10.2011, 10:31

Because it is an acceptable outlet for our sado-masochism?

Or is it saddo-masochism??

Either way it is good fun. Mostly.

As Derek Bourgeois once said to me; "Pardon?"

Bob

Maestro
13.10.2011, 11:00

Bob

Pure brilliance Sir :clap: :clap: :clap:

Laserbeam bass
13.10.2011, 11:25

Bob

Pure brilliance Sir :clap: :clap: :clap:

That's three words that wouldn't normally be associated with Bob!

Basstiger
14.10.2011, 21:33
Shine as the Light may not be a scaba listed piece but it's not easy....as we proved by coming 7th so really whether it's on the list or not is totally irrelevant!