PDA

View Full Version : Missing Music

Soppy
08.03.2003, 21:18
Hi,
in the summer, my band got out the Barber of Seville for 'a laugh' with the Deputy Conductor. We actually managed to get through it, and I keep pestering the MD to let us play it every so often in rehersals. Only the conductors copy has gone missing, and the Deputy guy never had it either. The MD has said that if i can find it, we'll play it.

So has anyone here got it? Could somebody scan it and e-mail me it, or send it in a Sibelius file? If not, could they photocopy it and send it to me via snail-mail?

Any help would be appreciated. If you PM me, I'll give you the necessary details.

P.S. It's the original Wimmer arrangement.

Thanks

TheMusicMan
08.03.2003, 21:25
Hi Soppy

1stly - welcome to theMouthPiece.com, glad to have you around.

You might want to check with our resident music guru Roger Thorne - I'm sure he'll reply regarding the legalities of doing this (just in case).

John

Soppy
08.03.2003, 21:59
I know it's illegal, but it's not morally wrong. We've got an entire set that was bought years ago brand new. We've just lost a bit. Somebody could re-write a score, but it'd take a lot of work.

Thanks anyway

TheMusicMan
08.03.2003, 22:28
I know it's illegal, but it's not morally wrong. We've got an entire set that was bought years ago brand new. We've just lost a bit. Somebody could re-write a score, but it'd take a lot of work.

Thanks anyway

Thing is... as it's illegal, I don't want tMP being "party" to it :) it puts me in an awkward predicament..

John

Soppy
08.03.2003, 22:36
Ahhh.........

HBB
08.03.2003, 23:20
Ahhh.........

However Soppy,

You could enter all of the parts into Sibelius or FinaleŠ, because then you wouldn't technically be breaking the law - because you've had no outside interference!!! :P:P

Roger Thorne
09.03.2003, 10:08
You could enter all of the parts into Sibelius or FinaleŠ, because then you wouldn't technically be breaking the law - because you've had no outside interference!!!

Benny,

Not wishing to be rude, but could I suggest that until you fully understand the legalities of Copyright Procedure that you refrain from making "illegal" suggestions to other MouthPiece members. :oops:

Most copyright disclaimers will include the words . . .

"Unauthorised reproduction of any part of this publication by any means, including photocopying is an infringement of copyright."

This includes typesetting into a computerised music notation system.

HBB
09.03.2003, 13:06
You could enter all of the parts into Sibelius or FinaleŠ, because then you wouldn't technically be breaking the law - because you've had no outside interference!!!

Benny,

Not wishing to be rude, but could I suggest that until you fully understand the legalities of Copyright Procedure that you refrain from making "illegal" suggestions to other MouthPiece members. :oops:

Most copyright disclaimers will include the words . . .

"Unauthorised reproduction of any part of this publication by any means, including photocopying is an infringement of copyright."

This includes typesetting into a computerised music notation system.

I'm sorry Roger, I knew I shouldn't have messed with the tMP Copyright expert :(.

Don't you think the system is backwards though - because surely people aren't going to buy the set again - just for one part. Are publishers allowed to sell scores on their own though - because that would probably be the best thing - I'm sure I saw a thread on it somewhere else - but the amounts are so high I wouldn't be able to find it anyway.

Roger Thorne
09.03.2003, 13:23
Why should people not buy another score?
If you lose your mobile phone you'll go and buy another one. So what's difference with music?
Yes, it is all too easy just to photocopy another score, but it is illegal and the composer will lose out on his royalties, which at the end of the day is his living.

Most publishers will supply additional parts and scores if requested, although I would imagine that the score and parts to The Barber of Seville are now out of print.

:wink:

HBB
09.03.2003, 13:52
Why should people not buy another score?
If you lose your mobile phone you'll go and buy another one. So what's difference with music?
Yes, it is all too easy just to photocopy another score, but it is illegal and the composer will lose out on his royalties, which at the end of the day is his living.

Most publishers will supply additional parts and scores if requested, although I would imagine that the score and parts to The Barber of Seville are now out of print.

:wink:

Now you've put it like that - I can see it clearly, you wouldn't copy somebody elses Mobile (nice analogy!).

ONe thing - if the parts are now out of print, how are you going to buy another set?

PeterBale
10.03.2003, 10:23
I don't know about the current situation, but I know that previously SP&S Ltd, the publishers of Salvation Army Music, would produced authorised photocopies in the event of receiving a request for music that is not currently in print. It would certainly be worth making enquiries with the publishers.

Straightmute
10.03.2003, 12:55
I've only ever conducted Barber of Seville from a solo cornet copy - in those innocent days when Rimmer's arrangement was made conductors had to trust everyone to get their own parts right!!!

So maybe you haven't lost the conductors part...

D

Soppy
10.03.2003, 19:14
It's not Wimmer's btw, I checked yesterday, it's Rossini! But that's not the point.

I don't see why my MD can't conduct off the solo cornet copy. It seems to have half the band's music on there anyway!!!

HBB
10.03.2003, 21:06
IMHO, it shouldn't be a problem conducting of the Solo Cornet part - I mean lots of the "brown" music has

"Solo Cornet / Conductor" written on it anyway.

For example the Florentiner March, ............

If not, make your conductor do it anyway! :P:P

ben ;)