PDA

View Full Version : Band Uniform at Contests

sparkling_quavers
08.03.2003, 15:59
Obviously we all know that the way the band presents itself reflects back to the band and that a uniform is smart and a clear indentifer to the band. I presume most bands wear the normal band jackets at concerts and contests but I was wondering, in your band, do the women wear skirts? and if so how much flexibility do you give to that? Also do you have walking-out jackets or a T-shirt with the band logo on that you wear when not on the stage at concerts?

Personally I think it is better if the girls wear skirts and preferably ones that are a similar length/style. As to walking-out jackets they are great if your band can afford them. I like the idea of t-shirts as they are a bit less formal but still identify you with the band.

Tommorrow we are all wearing similar length skirts and even the same type of tights. So I will give you my opinion after then whether these really strict uniform rules make a difference!

If anyone is at Burton tommorrow feel free to say hello. I am playing for Dronfield CMW Band. We will be the ones with pencil skirts below the knee and barely black tights! :shock:

HBB
08.03.2003, 16:25
I don't think that it matters whether or not ladies wear skirts or not, I'd much rather everyone feel comfortable in what they're wearing, instead of having to conform to standards they may not want to conform to! As long as the trousers they were are trouser trousers then it shouldn't matter - this is closely linked with - SHOULD WOMEN WEAR TIES?!

flashbarry
08.03.2003, 16:43
Hi

When I played with Wingates we wore trousers because it looked very smart and also because it was much easier using mutes. Lots of the top section bandswomen wear trousers ie Fodens and Dyke I also think it is much comfier and you don't have to worry about the lads in the front row of the audience peeking!!!! :lol:

flashbarry

Keppler
08.03.2003, 16:44
Ah... the endless argument of skirts vs not skirts..

Well, our uniform consists of a navy jacket and grey trousers, or a navy skirt for the women. The topic of "do I have to wear a skirt?" comes up quite often..

We have come up with skirts for indoors, and trousers are ok for outdoors. Our main problem is getting the same shade of navy or grey..

Also, there's no point getting jackets for people who are still growing (too expensive) so we have our younger members wear jumpers.

We have the band polo shirt for non-playing, or summer-playing wear - it's a great idea. We're also considering waistcoats for our percussion section.

Finally, our committee is all men, so we get to tell the women to quit compaining and wear the skirt.. the joys of absolute power... ;)

cornetgirl
08.03.2003, 17:03
It's either or with us - but it's very rare you see the girls in skirts - for a start it makes mute management so much easier and it's smarter than varying skirt lengths from the belts to the floor length.

I would probably be more likely to wear a skirt if I wasn't playing cornet and juggling mutes all the time, but I think if one does, all should!

Rach x

HBB
08.03.2003, 18:40
It's either or with us - but it's very rare you see the girls in skirts - for a start it makes mute management so much easier and it's smarter than varying skirt lengths from the belts to the floor length. and probably stops the wolf-whistling from the audience :P:P:D:D:D :lol:

I would probably be more likely to wear a skirt if I wasn't playing cornet and juggling mutes all the time, but I think if one does, all should!

Rach x

Doesn't stop some gals - though it looks mighty strange (!)(!) :lol:
So, what do people think on the tie front?

picju96
08.03.2003, 19:11
We wear trousers because it makes the band look uniform, everyone wearing trousers. Skirts can be more variable, as someone said different lengths, colours etc. About waistcoats etc, we thought about getting waistcoats for the percussion because they don't wear their jackets to play, and at one point we had to wear ties to go to and from a concert/contest, but that didn't really work coz noone did it, and the women complained about having to wear long ties. Bow ties are bad enough. Then the issue of different ties for women was introduced, the crevette ones - y'know, the triangle things around the neck. We looked into it but it would be too expensive, and not worn enough. We're still hoping to raise enough money to get walking out jackets, but it would mean not going to contests, which would defeat the whole object of the jackets so we haven't. At the moment we wear black rugby shirts with the name of the band on them in the pub etc. There we are!

Julia

Matthew
09.03.2003, 14:39
Personally, I'd rather look at the ladies in tight trousers than skirts anyday! ;)

Sorry to drag the level of this thread dowwards though....! In Sellers, the ladies wear trousers. Looking at the physical viewpoint of female percussionists etc, it may be better for them to move around with trousers anyway.

I was saying only last weekend to a fellow player at Sellers, wouldn't it be great to go on for the area in just jeans/shirt rather than uniform?! Just to 1. Cause a ripple in the audience (lol) and 2. Feel more relaxed?

But, of course there is a valid argument that uniform's on stage add to the 'sense of occasion' to a performance and particularly at the moment with relevance to the area contests where you could argue "who cares what we look like, the adjudicator in the box can't see us anyway".

Pro's and con's for that one anyway I think.

Any Scottish bands here that all wear Kilts out of interest?!

groovy
09.03.2003, 20:14

Well, no, because they are expensive to hire as well as buy, but it would be quite good if it happened!

We'd have to get jackets etc to go with the kilts though and I think cold knees would be a problem with the male band members!

:D :D :D :wink: :wink: :lol: :lol: :lol: :wink: :wink: :D :D :D

As for skirts/ties, well we mostly wear skirts and everyone wears ties. There has never been any kind of issue with it.

sparkling_quavers
09.03.2003, 22:00

Well that really would be interesting juggling the mutes in the cornet section (especially if worn in the traditional way!!! :shock: :shock: )

HBB
09.03.2003, 22:06

Well that really would be interesting juggling the mutes in the cornet section (especially if worn in the traditional way!!! :shock: :shock: )

You girls all have one-track minds! :P:P:P:P:shock::shock:!!!

I'd feel sorry for the horn players - they sit directly in front of the audience to. :D :roll:

and Mute Jugling would be pretty impressive at an entertainment contest ........

Ben ;)

cornetgirl
10.03.2003, 00:18
We may have one-track minds but I agree Rach - men in kilts!!!!! :lol: mmmm......nice......and I'd definitely watch an entertainments contest to see the mute juggling!

(hope Mr CG is taking note...!)

Rach x

BoozyBTrom
10.03.2003, 09:02
Ahhh the age old argument. The one that has plagued ( or is that prauged ) bandswomen since the dawn of time.

However. If everone wore the smae it would look very smart. But some laydees are not happy to wear trousers.

So i say wear what you feel comfortable in

satchmo shaz
10.03.2003, 09:42
hear hear! although I think bands should be smart, it doesn't really matter if the lasses wear skirts or trousers, It's how they play that matters :wink:

sparkling_quavers
10.03.2003, 12:17
Ahhh the age old argument. The one that has plagued ( or is that prauged ) bandswomen since the dawn of time.

However. If everone wore the smae it would look very smart. But some laydees are not happy to wear trousers.

So i say wear what you feel comfortable in

we were all wearing the same yesterday and I think it did look smart, although my feet were killing me by the end of the day in those stupid shoes!!

Re: men and kilts OT I know but lovely..... although I like men in band uniform as well *strange i know* LOL 8)

To get back OT....If girls where trousers they need to be similar also. We got in a situation once where some of the younger members of the band turned up in hipsters! At Dronfield they are specifing a uniform trouser and skirt for the girls and then they get the choice.

geordiecolin
10.03.2003, 21:21
I thought that we all looked very smart yesterday. the skirts looked good (aye!) as did the black suit jackets as walking out jackets. its a pity that some members on the band still felt that they were exempt from this.

As for ties, there is no reason why women shouldn't wear them.

Pythagoras
12.03.2003, 02:19
Hi

When I played with Wingates we wore trousers because it looked very smart and also because it was much easier using mutes. Lots of the top section bandswomen wear trousers ie Fodens and Dyke I also think it is much comfier and you don't have to worry about the lads in the front row of the audience peeking!!!! :lol:

flashbarry

Isn't this a good idea if the the lads in the front row are area officials/timekeepers?

Owen
12.03.2003, 07:42
In my band the ladies are required to wear trousers with both their walking out and stage uniforms. The decision was actually left to the female contingent at the time who all reached the same conclusion because of mute management, and because of the numebr of pairs of tights that went for a burton whilst moving percussion gear / setting up stages etc. From the "looking up skirts from off stage" perspective, we are lucky that the women in our band had the good sense to sit with their knees together anyway....

I did once help out a band where the women all wore long straight skirts (ankle length) with their concert jackets. It looked great on stage, but we went on from the back of the hall with a walk of about 100m from the entrance to the stage. The practicalities of walking in a long skirt meant that the cornets (all men) had opened up a considerable distance over the horns (all women) with the rest of the band all bunched up by the time we got to the stage. That did not look quite so great!

hornblower
17.03.2003, 13:13
I wear trousers, and personally think the bands who all wear trousers look a damn sight smarter... it is bad for your breathing to sit with your knees tight together as it makes you bend forwards slighty, and the same goes for clossing legs or ankles. :roll:

As for ties....it is a UNIFORM... every girl wears a tie with their school uniform, so what is the difference? :!:

I can't vote as it does matter and I think trousers...can you add that as an option in the vote? :wink:

picju96
17.03.2003, 17:50
Our school doesn't have ties... Primary did though.

Aidan
19.03.2003, 12:24
we're getting measured for our new uniforms TOMORROW :D:D:D:D[/b]

sparkling_quavers
19.03.2003, 12:57

alright for some! :cry: our treasurer has suggested that we try approaching some local businesses/big stores for sponsorship to get some polo-neck shirts. He suggested Tescos.....I suggested Ann Summers :shock:

satchmo shaz
19.03.2003, 17:45
we got some from macdonalds!!

PeterBale
19.03.2003, 17:49
we got some from macdonalds!!

I hope that doesn't mean you've all got to turn out wearing big macs!

Keppler
19.03.2003, 17:51
well at least a big mac will keep you dry..

Doh!
Peter, you beat me to it!! :D

Aidan
21.03.2003, 12:13
how bout tryin to get a stupidly famous fashion designer to make some post-modern band uniforms :D that could be a laugh

Valvecap
21.03.2003, 12:34
Had a right nice lass in our band (senior youth band) on principal trombone... very very good player - always turned up to outdoor gigs in trousers and indoor gigs in a long black skirt - never worked out why - till i moved onto the front row.
Anyway - she performed a rather hard trombone solo at a summer concert and was obviously nervous - she stood up, played the first movement "okish" and as the tutti were playing, she moved the stand closer to the edge of the stage and changed her posture - becoming instantly more confident in her playing - this skirt was split - not just a dangerous split - right to the waist - all of a sudden, neither the band or the audience cared about the notes anymore - shame cos she blitzed the rest of the solo note perfect!!!!!
Back OT, i dont think it matters - personal preference should rule. however i do think it looks better if all the lasses wear the same - either all skirts or all trousers.

asteria
21.03.2003, 14:46

Haha and about time you got some new uniforms! The person who was doing the measuring told me she was quite looking forward to it!

As for modern band uniforms what do people think of the YBS ones? I seem to recall it was a competition winner from Bradford uni that designed them. I think they look quite smart and think i would quite like them if it wasn't for that shade of green!!

Helen

Aidan
21.03.2003, 18:46
Haha and about time you got some new uniforms! The person who was doing the measuring told me she was quite looking forward to it!

she??? it was two blokes!! (was during the week i spose tho) hahah, you know some dodgy people helen. (yes yes.. me included.. il save you the hassle of typing it!)

Aidan
21.03.2003, 18:47
oh yeah... i like ybs' too.. very chique (cant spell..pronounced sheek ;))
i think versace or paul smith could do a better job though ;)

sparkling_quavers
22.03.2003, 11:41
As for modern band uniforms what do people think of the YBS ones? Helen

:? sorry Helen but I think they are horrible.....I like it when the bands were suits (but we have discussed this on another thread :oops: )

Libby
22.03.2003, 21:33
We all wear trousers, it's looks alot smarter, especially good for marching (have you ever tried to march in a pencil-style skirt????) We all wear ties and have walking out jackets and concert jackets and a massive lecture if you're not wearing "correct" uniform whilst out and about! :(
Plus save a fortune - not having to buy billions of pairs of tights! :D

topnote
24.03.2003, 19:09
Trousers Trousers Trousers!!!!!

After spending years in a band that was obsessed with all the women wearing exactly the same skirts, with exactly the same STRIPE down the front.
I am now pleased to be in a band where everyone wears trousers.
Its alot smarter as everyone looks the same and is a lot easier for mute juggling.

I am now of the opinion that skirts are pants! (so to speak)

sparkling_quavers
24.03.2003, 19:37
(have you ever tried to march in a pencil-style skirt????) no walking is bad enough! I bought a new pencil skirt for the area! After moaning whilst walking to the bus that this was a really silly design of skirt (ranting, 'how are you possibily meant to walk in this?') someone pointed out that I hadn't undone the stitching on the split at the back of it! :oops: :shock:

HBB
24.03.2003, 21:40
Well us blokes don't have to worry about thet problem ---- just trying to find a MATCHING pair of BLACK socks!! --- that's difficult enough for me ---- U have tons of grey ones ! :lol:

aimee_euph
31.03.2003, 17:49
trousers for me, i hate wearing skirts full stop, i only wear them whilst going out on the town!

i dont really think men are alowed to decide as to whether we wear trousers or skirts. it sould be agreed among the ladies of the band, and what length etc.

There's nothign worse than helping a band out, or playing in a band and sitting across from a woman with a really short skirt on! and thats coming from a female!

Aidan
31.03.2003, 18:30
There's nothign worse than helping a band out, or playing in a band and sitting across from a woman with a really short skirt on! and thats coming from a female!
Thats because most males wouldnt be complaining much anyway ;)

blondie
02.04.2003, 21:11
Better have my say, it would be rude not to!!!

I seem to agree also with the majority that women should all where the same be it trousers or skirts, but i think for a formal do a skirt looks much smarter even if they are uncomfortable ue to whatever constraints have been laid down.

It would be nice if our band could afford to get marching out jackets and ties, but t-shirts are a very versatile and cheaper alternative. This was done for WJB in time for the nationals and we now tend to wear them for concerts and contests in general.

I thought these days Aidan it would be J-Lo or P. Diddy designer gear. Now that would be terrible.

Beware of The Blonde

twigglet
02.04.2003, 21:56
Wearing a skirt looks so much better because women's trousers come in all different shapes and styles.

BUT..... the mutes are a problem. Being used to quickly shoving them in between your knees in rehearsal then suddenly on stage you have nowhere to put them, a bit of a problem!

But skirts still win it for me!

Aidan
03.04.2003, 10:31
J-Lo O'th' Barn Band.. catchy! ;)

picju96
03.04.2003, 11:11
It would be nice if our band could afford to get marching out jackets and ties, but t-shirts are a very versatile and cheaper alternative. This was done for WJB in time for the nationals and we now tend to wear them for concerts and contests in general.

We can't affort them either, so have t-shirts and rugby shirts for everyone, they're optional though. Most people used to have them a couple of years ago, but the bands changed a lot since then and only a few original people are left, so not many people have the rugby shirts, t-shirts were more recent so more people have them if u catch my drift....

just read that back and it doesn't make sense at all. oh well.

Phil Green
07.04.2003, 12:52

The CO (CWS Glasgow) took to the stage in full Scots attire at the European (entertainment section) in 90/91(?), including a fully kilted Howard Snell, who walked on half way through the first number. They had a standing ovation before they played their first note and when Howard walked on..... the crowd went wild.

Phil.
Fodens.