PDA

View Full Version : SCABA Quartet & Ensemble Contest - Results

Accidental
09.02.2004, 12:43
SCABA's annual Quartet and Ensemble Contest, Ringmer, 8th Feb 2004.

Junior Quartet
1 Hangleton A
2 Horsham

Youth Quartet
1 Mid Sussex
2 Egham Junior Brass

Youth Ensemble
1 Lewes Glynde and Beddingham

Youngest Player: Sophie Rudge (Mayfield)
Best Interpretation (youth sections): Paul Lewes (Horsham)

3rd Section Quartet
1 Mid Sussex
2 Heathfield B

2nd Section Quartet
1 Cosham A
2 Cosham B

1st Section Quartet
1 Horsham
2 Crystal Palace

Open Quartet
1 Friary Guildford B
2 Friary Guildford A

B Ensemble
1 Lewes Glynde and Beddingham
2 Heathfield

A Ensemble
1 Crystal Palace

Best Interpretation (senior sections): Keith Maxwell (Friary)

Highest number of entries: Lewes Glynde and Beddingham

:) Congrats to everyone! :)

WhatSharp?
09.02.2004, 13:36
And an enjoyable day out for all!

I can heartily recommend this little contest. YWD Quartets were 4th and 5th in the 2nd section, I'm afraid I can't remember who came 3rd (was it Battle ?).

Were you there Accidental? If so you may well have heard my attempts at playing Bb with Yiewsley & West Drayton A :D , last year I said never again and I still got arm twisted into doing it :D

I daresay next year will be the same story :D

Sam Atherton
09.02.2004, 16:04

I can heartily recommend this little contest.

Got to agree with that. Loads of fun, and really well organized too, although I think that can be said of all SCABA contests. Hope there are more of us next year.

I may have witnessed your Bb playing - not sure though, can't remember who I heard! If I did, you certainly don't look much your avatar... :lol:

WhatSharp?
09.02.2004, 16:20
We did Petite Suite (Mainly cause we didn't like any of the other stuff in our library :D ).

Congratulations to you guys (Cosham) on your win.

We'll get it back next year :wink:

Accidental
09.02.2004, 17:10
I was there, but you'd been and gone by the time we got there! It was like a ghost town in the afternoon, and I think we played to a grand total of 7 people including the guys backstage - oh well!
You're right, its a good little contest. Its a real shame there wasn't a bigger entry, and/or that they don't do all the results at the end of the day so people stick around. Maybe next year....

WhatSharp?
09.02.2004, 17:18
Mind you we didn't get back till gone 9pm!

Especially after going down the pub for a bite to eat.

My other half was NOT impressed! :?

HBB
09.02.2004, 20:02
*Bites tongue*

HBB
09.02.2004, 20:03

I can heartily recommend this little contest.

Got to agree with that. Loads of fun, and really well organized too, although I think that can be said of all SCABA contests. Hope there are more of us next year.

I may have witnessed your Bb playing - not sure though, can't remember who I heard! If I did, you certainly don't look much your avatar... :lol:

We were playing #3 .... 1st to stand up! :D.... PLayed a really easy piece! :D and still didn't come last --- result! :D

Ray Woods
09.02.2004, 21:06
I could make up the excuse that I got up at 7:30am on Sunday morning in order to get to Ringmer for the Junior Quartet draw at 8:45am. The quartet I conducted played 1st, and then I hung around for the 3rd Section senior quartet competition (10 entries), and that I was tired so wanted to go home after the 3rd section results. You might believe me....

....but the real reason is that I put in such an terrible peformance as 1st Cornet with my Quartet, that I was embarassed that somebody might recognise me......so I did a runner!

....it comes to something when Sharon McCallum who was manning one of the stands (the only stand) outside the hall even heard my bum notes and commented as I walked by!!

Still the adjudicator was quite nice to us considering, and we didn't come last.

I have all the adjudicator comments for the Mid Sussex Brass Band entries posted on the Mid Sussex Brass Band unofficial website at http://www.geocities.com/burgess_hill_brass/ under contest results for Ringmer if you are interested in what Paul Norley had to say.

Did I mention that Mid Sussex Brass Band are looking for a principle cornet?

Accidental
10.02.2004, 09:18
I could make up the excuse that I got up at 7:30am on Sunday morning in order to get to Ringmer for the Junior Quartet draw at 8:45am. The quartet I conducted played 1st, and then I hung around for the 3rd Section senior quartet competition (10 entries), and that I was tired so wanted to go home after the 3rd section results.
Good point Ray, so maybe they shouldn't hold all the results to the end of the day! It just seems like there's never any audience left (or trade stands, except Sharon!) by the time the 1st and champ sections arrive at any contest!

Before anyone says it - I know hardly anyone ever arrives early to listen to lower sections either........but would you get up that early on a sunday if you didn't have to ?!! :wink:

Ray Woods
10.02.2004, 16:22
In answer to your question below:

'Before anyone says it - I know hardly anyone ever arrives early to listen to lower sections either........but would you get up that early on a sunday if you didn't have to ?!! '

Of course not. Mind you, my non playing wife, who was under no pressure to join me at Ringmer, came along to support when a comfty bed and T4 all morning/afternoon (Channel 4's lowest common denominator TV) were beckoning.

However I have stayed behind at many contests to listen to how the better bands do it....after all, with my competitors ticket, this is a free concert of the highest standard!!

I am looking forward to Folkstone.

WhatSharp?
10.02.2004, 16:25
Not doing Hove?

Sam Atherton
10.02.2004, 18:06
Mind you, my non playing wife, who was under no pressure to join me at Ringmer, came along to support when a comfty bed and T4 all morning/afternoon (Channel 4's lowest common denominator TV) were beckoning.

I don't think that a marathon session of Hollyoaks appeals to us girls in the same way as it does to blokes!

Not that I listened to the third or junior/youth sections either - Cosham were too busy rehearsing Vizcaya :(