PDA

View Full Version : Full Rehearsals???

Di B
07.03.2003, 11:55
Bands are known for having at least one player not being at a practice near enough every practice you have (expect maybe for the very top bands!) This can be due to work, illness or laziness.... it still leaves you without a full band!

Has/did anyone here manage to get a full band at any rehearsal before the contest?

Do higher setion bands find it easier to turn out a full band the week before the contest? (In my own experience genuine reasons still prohibited the band from having a full band!)

Currently playing in the fourth sections I was astounded and amazed when a week before the area we had a full band at rehearsal. I really cannot remember the last time I have been in a band that had a full band for a contest rehearsal prior to the night before a contest hence this question! :)

Cheers

Aidan
07.03.2003, 11:59
we normally have a full band at most rehearsals... we have a chart on the wall of the bandroom so u can put down when you're not going to be there, and we just get a dep in for the rehearsal, simple... :D but if you dont turn up for rehearsals before a concert or contest, you better have a ****** good excuse for it :wink:

BoozyBTrom
07.03.2003, 11:59
I think most bands even the top ones will struggle with full rehearsals. What with shift workers and getting babysitters and the like.

satchmo shaz
07.03.2003, 12:03
I must be lucky! I get very good turn outs, some people in my band will do owt to get to band (me included)...... my horns are amazing, they just turn up to everything....... even ALL the sectionals, mind you I dont think any of them have a TV at home :lol:

Di B
07.03.2003, 12:09
I must be lucky! I get very good turn outs, some people in my band will do owt to get to band (me included)...... my horns are amazing, they just turn up to everything....... even ALL the sectionals, mind you I dont think any of them have a TV at home :lol:

Your solo horn player spends most of her time working, ordering kebabs for her other half or making lovely wine! (you willahve to ask her about the time I went over.....*grins*)

satchmo shaz
07.03.2003, 12:11
shes crackers I tell you !! she books off annual leave before a contest so she can get to band !! :wink:

Di B
07.03.2003, 12:11
we normally have a full band at most rehearsals... we have a chart on the wall of the bandroom so u can put down when you're not going to be there, and we just get a dep in for the rehearsal, simple... :D but if you dont turn up for rehearsals before a concert or contest, you better have a ****** good excuse for it :wink:

Intereting to get a dep in... do you pay them or are they friends? Is is a combination?

Do you do this before a contest too? Are you worried that (for example) a soloist may come and help you and gain insight from your ideas?

Jsut being nosey!!

Aidan
07.03.2003, 12:49
Intereting to get a dep in... do you pay them or are they friends? Is is a combination?

Do you do this before a contest too? Are you worried that (for example) a soloist may come and help you and gain insight from your ideas?

Jsut being nosey!!

yeah just normally friends, our conductor also conducts st. helens youth, so we sometimes have some of their best players depping in a rehearsal. Good for everyone i spose
not really done it before a contest.. we sortof have for the areas, had some recent concerts and a listen to the band recording in the last couple of wks, where we had a dep or two, and we may have done prague at the end of a rehearsal or something. But if they wanted to copy us, id see it as a compliment more than anything else... as long as we did it better :wink: or it would be war :)

WhatSharp?
07.03.2003, 13:26
No full band yet... we got a week to go.... I think our conductors gonna have a nervous breakdown soon ... :(

Still could be worse (well for me anyway) we could be doing Passacaglia on a Theme of Brahms, I understand all the local institutions are getting filled up with Sop players at the mo (not to mention the smell in the toilets before hand) :lol:

Anyone know what Passacaglia means anyway? personally I reckon it's Bavarian for "Expiration of the small high noted one".

WhatSharp?
07.03.2003, 13:30
AHA... Sorry I'm answering myself here ....

PASSACAGLIA,
the name of an old Spanish dance

dyl
07.03.2003, 13:31
Anyone know what Passacaglia means anyway?

http://jan.ucc.nau.edu/~tas3/mus303/passacaglia.html

WhatSharp?
07.03.2003, 13:41
Anyone know what Passacaglia means anyway?

http://jan.ucc.nau.edu/~tas3/mus303/passacaglia.html

Thanks Dyl, I got as far as continuous variation before I dozed off. Started reminding me of Grade 5 theory (gave up on that one too, perform yes, analyse no..)

:D

HBB
08.03.2003, 12:06
In answer to Steve!

WE HAVE NOW FINALLY HAD A FULL TURN OUT - wahey!!!!! (bet its the only one before the contest thought :(:()

HBB
08.03.2003, 12:10
Anyone know what Passacaglia means anyway? personally I reckon it's Bavarian for "Expiration of the small high noted one".

Hey, the penny finally dropped - Ha ha ha - I didn't realise I was this slow, I thought you were being serious Steve!!!

Heather
08.03.2003, 12:46
We do quite well for rehearsals. When we know there's a contest coming up we all do our best to get to rehearsal.
We've been nearly full (just 1 or 2 missing) for a while. A couple of our band have jobs where they have to work nights (policeman, paramedic) so they've got no choice to miss and everyone understands.
We're at band tonight and there will definately be a 100% turnout.

HBB
08.03.2003, 12:52
We do quite well for rehearsals. When we know there's a contest coming up we all do our best to get to rehearsal.
We've been nearly full (just 1 or 2 missing) for a while. A couple of our band have jobs where they have to work nights (policeman, paramedic) so they've got no choice to miss and everyone understands.
We're at band tonight and there will definately be a 100% turnout.

Do you live in a special world where everything that SHOULD happen does?????? How do you manage to do that - we ususally have at least 4 or 5 missing!

Heather
08.03.2003, 13:52
No, not at all!!
I'm talking about before contests.
There are times when we have that many missing too, but to be honest not that many.
I do have to admit though that in all my years of banding this band has the fullest rehearsals.
I think alot of it has to do with our conductor. He understands people can't be at every rehearsal and you aren't scared to tell him you won't be there!(as has happened in a previous band!!).
Because of this, I think people really make the effort TO BE THERE!
I hope this doesn't sound like double dutch!

HBB
08.03.2003, 18:23
No, not at all!!
I'm talking about before contests.
There are times when we have that many missing too, but to be honest not that many.
I do have to admit though that in all my years of banding this band has the fullest rehearsals.
I think alot of it has to do with our conductor. He understands people can't be at every rehearsal and you aren't scared to tell him you won't be there!(as has happened in a previous band!!).
Because of this, I think people really make the effort TO BE THERE!
I hope this doesn't sound like double dutch!

I mean - in your band - is it the same people who constantly DON'T TURN UP, and they don't even bother to tell our MD, Now I think that that is wrong - not even phoning - or EMAILING in a technological world, don't ya think :?:

Heather
08.03.2003, 22:46
No , its not.
We all have our fair share of missing rehearsals. Its unavoidable sometimes but I would say there is nobody in our band who takes advantage.
By the way, have you had nothing else to do today?
You must have broken the record of number of posts in one day!!

HBB
08.03.2003, 22:58
No , its not.
We all have our fair share of missing rehearsals. Its unavoidable sometimes but I would say there is nobody in our band who takes advantage.
By the way, have you had nothing else to do today?
You must have broken the record of number of posts in one day!!

I was going to do my GCSE MUsic stuff - but I thought -"Nah, can't be bovvered!!!!", so I thought I'd waste 4 hours on here!

I realise that missing rehersals is unavoidable, and I didn't mean to be abrupt :P:P:P, the trouble is, in our band there is - I guess it must be a "London" thing! :D:D

Heather
09.03.2003, 00:08
I'm sure its not just confined to London!!
Perhaps if you ever change bands it will be different.
Hey, get your schoolwork done!

HBB
09.03.2003, 12:11
I'm sure its not just confined to London!!
Perhaps if you ever change bands it will be different.
Hey, get your schoolwork done!

Thats the trouble with "being brought up in a band". I've been in this band for 6 years now - so I haven't known any different. Perhaps when I go to Uni, or summink like that I may get a taster of the differences in style eh!

and I am (well I'm being made to) doing it today, or I'll probably fail!!! :shock:

PeterBale
10.03.2003, 09:00
It appears that, for better or worse, the days of the dictatorial MD have gone forever. I am told on good authority that when Albert Chapple had City of Coventry band there was no question of missing a rehearsal. He also ran City of Coventry B band, and the B band players were also expected to turn up to the A band rehearsals. If the appropriate A band player was not in his seat at the starting time, the B band player would step in, and may well then retain the seat! It certainly led to competition for places, but eventually caused problems when the B and was at the stage of winning promotion to the top section themselves.

It amazes me to read accounts of players in any band consistently missing rehearsals without letting anybody know. I was always taught that it was common courtesy to give the bandmaster advance warning if you are unable to attend, and if something crops up at the last minute it should still be possible to get a message through to someone. With changing working patterns I am sure it is a lot harder for bands than in the past, as we tend to commute much more than previously, and so many are expected to put in long hours with much travelling around the country. In my band there are a number of us who have to come straight from work to practice, and it is rare to be able to start with a full complement.

In general, I don't think any conductor will complain too much if he knows a player is fulfilling their commitment to the best of their ability, but we all have to be wary of not over-committing ourselves to too many things. As for players who fail to appear, or only turn up or the "big" occasions, I am sure we are better off without them.

WhatSharp?
10.03.2003, 09:24
In answer to Steve!

WE HAVE NOW FINALLY HAD A FULL TURN OUT - wahey!!!!! (bet its the only one before the contest thought :(:()

No we didn't... One percussionist was absent.... DOH!

Heather
10.03.2003, 09:30
...our full rehearsals obviously paid off!!!!!!!....................................

HBB
10.03.2003, 18:17
In answer to Steve!

Almost full then!!! :D:D

WhatSharp?
10.03.2003, 20:16
In answer to Steve!

ermmmmm.... hmmm....... well steve, you know what I'm thinking :P:P :roll:

Nope. Not sure I want to either.

Hilary Mateer
11.03.2003, 00:30
well we never did manage a full band before the area. Even at the contest as our timp player was ill and we had to borrow one from the band before

WhatSharp?
11.03.2003, 08:11
In answer to Steve!

ermmmmm.... hmmm....... well steve, you know what I'm thinking :P:P :roll:

Nope. Not sure I want to either. .. and stop editing your posts :evil: :D

HBB
11.03.2003, 17:47
*Snip* Massive quote edited out... Neal

THat's what the button's there for:P:P:P:P:P:P Ner Ner na Ner NEr ;) See ya tonite!!

Nat
13.03.2003, 15:05
we usually dont have a problem with players at rehersals until th week before the contest when people have to work also because we have to change the practices around because of bandrooms :roll:

hornblower
13.03.2003, 16:24
We have had full rehursals pretty much in the run up to the contest.

normally we have a full price on a monday and then less on wednesday.

think we should all be proud of the effort we have put in recently!

i will say though that as a fourth section player i feel that this is my hobby, not a profession, therefore if there is a work commitment or a family commitment that is important it has to come before the band.... :?

HBB
13.03.2003, 18:13
[quote="homocidalbennyboy"]*Snip* Massive quote edited out... Neal
quote]

:(:(:(, what about "WhatSHarps" quotes eh! :P:P:P

Keppler
13.03.2003, 18:15
3 nested quotes I can handle... (just) especially when there are intermediary posts..

4 is over the top.. ;)

Relax Ben.. I don't have an agenda here...

HBB
13.03.2003, 18:41
Calm Down Neal!!!!!

I know I may not have sounded it, but I was joking :lol: :lol:

I know I like pressing the "Quote" button, and Its quite fun all the patterns you make.

See Ya

Beb ;)