PDA

View Full Version : 2011 City of Sheffield Band Club - Concert Dates and Bands

brassintheed
18.01.2011, 18:40
The popular City of Sheffield Band Club is due to begin again on 6th Feb 2011. It's held at Niagara Sports and Social Club, Niagara Road, Wadsley Bridge, Sheffield, S6 1LU. (tel 0114 296 4945) - http://www.sypsportsandsocialclub.co.uk/

Please remember to spread the word, this is a very popular band club and it's FREE to attend (well we would like you all to dig deep for the raffle though!)

The first concert on 6th February is a very special one, it's a one off performance by the CoS 'All Star' Brass Band. This is a cracking scratch band featuring some of the star players who have been part of the City of Sheffield Band (in it's various incarnations) in the past. It's sure to be a brilliant concert with top class players showing the wealth of talent which is part of our local areas brass band history.

The Full Season

6th Feb - CoS 'All Stars' Brass Band

13th Feb - Hade Edge Brass Band

20th Feb - Scissett Youth Brass Band

27th Feb - Yorkshire Regional Contest Night

4th Mar - No Concert

13th Mar - Thurlstone Brass Band

20th Mar - Oughtibridge Brass Band

27th Mar - Deepcar Brass Band

3rd April - Dronfield Brass Band

10th April - DUT Yorkshire Imperials Brass Band

17th April - South Yorkshire Police Brass Band

1st May - Prize Giving Concert - City of Sheffield Brass Band

brassintheed
26.01.2011, 19:58
PS watch this space for further details of: 27th Feb - Yorkshire Regional Contest Night

timbloke
27.01.2011, 14:09
Great to see some new faces this year, but also interesting to see the bands who are not on the list - Stannington in particular, but also Rockingham, Barnsley BS, Strata, Emley and Old Silkstone to name a few. Was it a shortage of dates or lack of interest on their part, and if the latter, I wonder why? This is such a fantastic concert season (both from a playing and spectating point of view). Long may it continue. :clap:

tubafran
27.01.2011, 14:25
PS watch this space for further details of: 27th Feb - Yorkshire Regional Contest Night

Is this picking up on Tim's earlier suggestion for an evening of all the area test pieces 4th to Champ?

Did you know that Dronfield are taking part in the Yorkshire areas this year? ;)

brassintheed
27.01.2011, 16:18
It's a pity that so many bands missed out this year, mostly because of how popular it is, the dates get booked so quickly after the first announcement. I had conversations with many of the bands you listed, but we couldn't find a free date that suited. But I'm really hoping they'll be back in 2012. It's also grea to see new bands at the club this year, Hade Edge and Yorkshire Imps are going to be fantastic concerts I'm sure.

The seed was definitely planted by tim's comments previously. great idea, and this is the one year we didn't have a band booked in on that date. We're really pleased to have Deepcar already booked for the 4th section on the 27th, and we've already got some possible interest for the 2nd section. Would have loved to have dronfield - especially after their spectacular and deserved win at Butlins, but there are so many friends of the band club, it's impossible to include everyone. unfortunately.
Just hope to see you all there on the grand opening on the 6th :-)

brassintheed
05.02.2011, 15:09
Ok, nearly there, tomorrow night (Sunday 6th Feb) is the opening night of the band club.

A fantastic band in place, some top class soloists and a really enjoyable programme.

It's looking to be a very popular one so come along and enjoy the music and the atmosphere. Let's start off what's looking to be a great band club season with a cracker.

Concert starts at 8pm.

brassintheed
11.02.2011, 17:16
Great start to the new band club last Sunday, capacity audience, and a fantastically enjoyable concert. The atmosphere was amazing.

If you were unfortunate enough to miss it, this Sunday (13th Feb) we welcome Hade Edge who have been newly promoted to the Championship Section. I'm sure their MD Simon Wood has got a great concert planned.

brassintheed
20.02.2011, 12:22
One of the vital roles of the band club is to encourage younger bands and players. Tonight is the turn of the Scisset Youth Band under their MD Simon Mansfield. I missed them last year due to work unfortunately so I'm looking forward to tonight's concert.

YRBBC
24.02.2011, 16:39
Would like to come along on Sunday(27th) - what time does it start and which bands are taking part ?

Thanks.

tubafran
24.02.2011, 17:03
Would like to come along on Sunday(27th) - what time does it start and which bands are taking part ?

Thanks.

4th Section - Deepcar
3rd Section - ?
2nd Section - South Yorkshire Police Band
1st Section - City of Sheffield
Championship - Thoresby Colliery

It usually starts at 8pm (but dont quote me on that as the Police Band have it down at 7.30pm)

bassmittens
24.02.2011, 17:56
8pm is right. We're first on and have been told 8pm to play.

Ooooh it's like having a celebrity to play to when Peggy's there!

see you all there.

tubafran
24.02.2011, 19:13
Ooooh it's like having a celebrity to play to when Peggy's there!

see you all there.

Hope she brings her slippers - will give it an authentic feel for next weekend :)

Number1euph
24.02.2011, 23:54
Slippers would be good from Peggy - make it feel real special

Brassindeed has indicated the bands, shall await what he puts on here. Look forward to it.

Bones
25.02.2011, 01:17
4th Section - Deepcar
3rd Section - ?
2nd Section - South Yorkshire Police Band
Championship - Thoresby Colliery

It usually starts at 8pm (but dont quote me on that as the Police Band have it down at 7.30pm)

Hi,

THoresby will not be there. Please dont think you will hearing a blinding version of Paganini Variations, you;ll have to wait until Bedworth......

brassintheed
25.02.2011, 01:22
Official line up for 27th

4th section - Deepcar
3rd Section - Maltby (hopefully)
2nd Section - South Yorks Police Band
Championship - Hade Edge

Adjudicator - Mike Kilroy

First band on at 8pm.

Should be a really interesting night and an enjoyable change for band club regulars.

brassintheed
13.03.2011, 15:05
Hectic couple of week..

27th Feb saw a fantastic crowd for the regionals preview night. A real success. Many thanks to all the bands that took part, and to our last minute adjudicator Mike Rowley who did a brilliant job.

The Yorkshire Area last week saw some great results for friends of City of Sheffield Band, including Chapeltown, Barnsley Chronical, Knottingley and Strata. We got a very satisfying 3rd place ourselves.

Special congratulations to:
Dronfield for their 2nd place in the 4th Section
South Yorkshire Police for their Win in the 2nd Section
Yorkshire Imps for 2nd Place in the 1st Section

That's three really great bands and MDs from our 2011 band club season off to the National Finals. And you've still got their band club concerts to look forward to...

Tonight sees the return of Thurlstone Brass Band, who have shown us some great young talent over recent years. See you all there.

tubafran
13.03.2011, 22:01
Special congratulations to:
Dronfield for their 2nd place in the 4th Section
South Yorkshire Police for their Win in the 2nd Section
Yorkshire Imps for 2nd Place in the 1st Section

That's three really great bands and MDs from our 2011 band club season off to the National Finals. And you've still got their band club concerts to look forward to...

Thanks Ed, we are looking forward to playing at Band Club on the 3rd April (Mothers Day) working hard on the programme at the moment.

YRBBC
13.03.2011, 22:12
[quote=brassintheed;779298]Hectic couple of week..

27th Feb saw a fantastic crowd for the regionals preview night. A real success. Many thanks to all the bands that took part, and to our last minute adjudicator Mike Rowley who did a brilliant job...........................

I really enjoyed the regional preview night - thank you. :clap:

But ..... Your last minute adjudicator was Mike Kilroy not Mike Rowley.

Peggy

brassintheed
14.03.2011, 13:10
Thanks for that Peggy, I realised my mistake last night. Typical me to be honest that one!! (Sorry Mike!!)

Was great to see you and so many people there.

Edward

tubafran
30.03.2011, 14:31
Dronfield are playing at Band Club this Sunday 3rd April 2011 and our planned programme will be

Raiders of the Lost Ark - Sykes

Song (Prelude Song & Dance) - Golland

Sweet Nightingale - Richards (Trom soloist Helen Prichard)

Bailero - Trad Arr Fernie

A Swinging Safari - Kaempfert Arr Siebert

Myfanwy - Parry Arr Stephens (feature euph Sarah Whittington)

Poinciana - Arr Farr

The 2nd Waltz (Jazz suite no 2) - Shostakovitch Arr Fernie

I Only have eyes for you - Warren/Dubin Arr Fernie (feature bass trom Kev Parkin)

MacArthur Park - Webb Arr Drover

Sleep - Whitacre Arr Smith

Hot Toddy - Hendler/Flanagan Arr Peberdy

Psalm 23 - Goodall Arr Wiggins

Sway - Ruiz Arr Bennett

brassintheed
03.04.2011, 13:08
Dronfield band tonight under their excellent MD John Davis. Programme above (thanks Fran).
Dronfield recently qualified for the national finals in the yorkshire section, and are constantly raising their own standards so it's sure to be a good evening.

brassintheed
10.04.2011, 14:04
Yorkshire Imps are making their debut at band club tonight. This really is an excellent band on recent form, and I can guarantee a top quality evening of excellent brass music.

brassintheed
16.04.2011, 18:20
It's the season finale tomorrow with South Yorkshire Police Band bringing their special touch to the band club.

Remember that in two weeks time it's the prize giving concert - 1st May.

brassintheed
16.04.2011, 18:39
PS - last post should of course say tomorrow night, not tonight!!!! I've e-mailed the admin to change it.

Edit: amended, PB, Mod

Robhibberd29
17.04.2011, 16:34
It's the season finale tomorrow with South Yorkshire Police Band bringing their special touch to the band club.

...and here's our concert program

Police Special Arr Leigh Baker
On with the Motley (Soprano Solo Wendy Hart) Leoncavallo Arr Ray Farr
Kraken Chris Hazell Arr Darrol Barry
Love on the Rocks (Cornet Solo Leisa Mallalieu) Diamond/Becaud Arr P Sparke
Get Happy Harold Arlen Arr Leigh Baker
Rutland Water (Baritone Solo Louise Wrigglesworth) Malcolm Bennett
Puttiní On The Ritz Irving Berlin Arr S Roberts

The Cossack William Rimmer
Softly, As I Leave You (Euphonium Duet) Alfred de Vita Arr A Catherall
Crimond Peter Graham
Havenít Met You Yet Arr Gavin Somerset
He ainít heavy-Heís my brother (Tenor Horn Solo Ray Speed) Arr B P Crookes
The Bold Gendarmes (Trombone Trio) Offenbach Arr Edrich Siebert
The Mansions of The Lord Arr Leigh Baker
Riverdance Bill Whelan Arr Ray Farr

Encore
All In The April Evening Hugh S Roberton Arr Eric Ball

Robhibberd29
18.04.2011, 16:47
What a turn out it was! I hope everyone enjoyed it as much as we did! :-)

brassintheed
26.04.2011, 17:18
Well it's been a fantastic season. Great bands and great audiences. Thanks to everyone who's supported the band club this year.
Just one last concert to go, and it should be a really good one. City of Sheffield Band will perform this Sunday (1st May) - the last one is usually packed so I'd advise to get there in plenty of time to get a good seat.
We'll also be presenting the season's awards including the most entertaining band and best soliost.

See you all there for the finale of the 2011 City of Sheffield Band Club.

brassintheed
05.05.2011, 21:13
The City of Sheffield Band Club held it’s finale and prize giving concert on Sunday May 1st to mark the end of the 2012 season.

The band club has been going from strength to strength and 2012 was it’s most successful yet at it’s new home the Niagara Sports and Social Club in Hillsborough Sheffield. There were full audiences throughout the season to see the vast array of talent from local brass bands. All free to the community to promote brass band music. The final concert was given by the hosts, the City of Sheffield Brass Band, to a packed out hall.

During the evening prizes were awarded to those taking part in the season. Congratulations go to the winners for 2012:

Most Entertaining Band: Dronfield Band under their MD John Davies
Best Soloist: Adrian Nurney from Yorkshire Imperials for his performance of the Carnival of Venice on Euphonium
Youngest Player: 10 year old Georgia Kirk from Deepcar Brass Band
Service to CoS Band Club: John, Jeanette & Gemma Grayson

We’d also like to thank all the bands taking part this season and the Niagara Sports & Social Club for helping us to host these popular concerts.

The City of Sheffield Band Club will return on Sunday 22nd January 2013. Further details can be found on the bands website http://www.cityofsheffieldbrassband.org.uk (http://www.cityofsheffieldbrassband.org.uk/)

ukdrummerboy
05.05.2011, 22:22
The City of Sheffield Band Club will return on Sunday 22nd January 2013.

Are we having a year off?!

brassintheed
06.05.2011, 00:44
well it wouldn't be the same without my now famous typos!!! Returns 2012, not 2013 of course!! :-)

tubafran
06.05.2011, 11:23
During the evening prizes were awarded to those taking part in the season. Congratulations go to the winners for 2012:

Most Entertaining Band: Dronfield Band under their MD John Davies
Best Soloist: Adrian Nurney from Yorkshire Imperials for his performance of the Carnival of Venice on Euphonium
Youngest Player: 10 year old Georgia Kirk from Deepcar Brass Band
Service to CoS Band Club: John, Jeanette & Gemma Grayson

Gosh, have we all won next year's contest too :biggrin:

On a serious note a big thanks to City Of Sheffield from Dronfield Band for the award and congratulations to all the other winners and everyone that took part in the 2011 season. We are looking forward to returning in 2012 to defend another winning title.

brassintheed
06.05.2011, 20:46
I think I've been listening to Victor Borge's "inflationary language" too much! (PS if you've never been 'five'tunate enough to hear it, you should, it's 'two'derful!!)