PDA

View Full Version : Every Night Of The Week?

BoozyBTrom
07.03.2003, 12:39
With the areas in full swing I thought I would see what peoples thoughts were on reahersing every night in the week before your contest.

Do people think that a night off is beneficial or should you be going hammer and tong at it for the full week. Or do you just stick to your normal rehersals.

Are the extra reahersal do any good or take the peice backwards?

satchmo shaz
07.03.2003, 12:43
well I cant remember having a night at home!! as I play top man for a st section band (NCT) who played last weekend and I conduct Long Eaton who play this weekend. I gave Long Eaton a night off on Tuesday because I was depping for someone at a show!!
no rest for the wicked !!

Di B
07.03.2003, 12:49
I think practising every night the week befor ethe contest is a waste of time. It is the same as cramming before your exams!!!

I think an extra rehearsal a week (which can be sectionals or full band) in the couple of months before the contest is much more beneficial.

If people can't play their parts the week before the chances are they never will be able to!!! I feel that the last week should be about tweaking the performance - the little things that will (hopefully) make your performance better than the other good bands!

The other problem you have is people getting bored of a test piece and/or 'peaking too soon.' I don't mind spending 3/4 of the rehearsal on a test piece as long as we play something else that night too! :)

Aidan
07.03.2003, 12:53
we're doing every day this week bar one. normal rehearsals mon+tues, day off wednesday (so we all got bladdered) open rehearsal on thurs, normal rehearsal on fri and an hour or less on sat :D
but all beneficial i think, open rehearsals are always good too.. opportunity to get out of the bandroom to a different acoustic and play infront of an audience.

BoozyBTrom
07.03.2003, 12:55
we are having a couple of rehersals in a different hall just for a chnge of scenery more than anything.

Same room for seven days can get a bit over powering

satchmo shaz
07.03.2003, 12:56
I do sectionals in the run up to contests so that nobody has to do all the rehearsals (except me!!)......... alegedly some of my band have a life too!!??........ cant understand that one, so for example this week we have had 3 full rehearsals and the rest sectionals........ at least I know that they are blowing!

Normally speaking we only rehearse once a week so nobody seems to mind extra rehearsals in the run up to contests :wink:

satchmo shaz
07.03.2003, 12:59
we have an open rehearsal (tonight) also in a different room. we have all invited friends and family so it gives the band a chance to have an audience and to get used to different accoustics (hopefully) :)

dyl
07.03.2003, 13:02
We're doing every night next week in the run-up to Swansea apart from Wednesday when we get a night off - personally I'd prefer the Thursday off so I can watch Liverpool v Celtic!

picju96
07.03.2003, 17:58
We rehearse in a school so we have lots of different acoustics. For Pontins we rehearsed in small classrooms because we were playing in the Luners Bar, for the areas we rehearse in the gym and hall. In the last week before the contest we rehearse Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday, go bowling on Thursday (normal practice night) and we normally fly out Friday tea time, and rehearse at the place Friday night. The month before is 2 rehearsals a week as opposed to the normal 1 night a week.

rutty
07.03.2003, 18:20
For Pontins we rehearsed in small classrooms because we were playing in the Luners Bar

You rehearse for Pontins?

We have a few extra rehearsals on the run up. Our MD likes to polish it up the week before.

HBB
07.03.2003, 18:28
For Pontins we rehearsed in small classrooms because we were playing in the Luners Bar

You rehearse for Pontins?

We have a few extra rehearsals on the run up. Our MD likes to polish it up the week before.

We've never done it before!! So I don't know what it's like?!

I'd hope they'd rehearse for Pontins! :P:P:P:P

HBB
07.03.2003, 18:32
we have an open rehearsal (tonight) also in a different room. we have all invited friends and family so it gives the band a chance to have an audience and to get used to different accoustics (hopefully) :)

We never do those - we go on to an audience "cold", I htink it would be really benefitial to mperhaps do a rehersal like that to give us an idea of the feeling.

Heather
07.03.2003, 18:32
I think every night is definately too much!
If you have to rehearse every night in the week leading up to the contest then it seems to me there hasn't been enough time put aside for rehearsal in the weeks leading up to it.
I would get sick to death of the piece if I had to rehearse every night and there's always the chance of 'peaking' too soon.
To add to that I'm afraid I have a life outside banding and hubby would go ape if I was there for a whole week.
Our Band seems to do ok as it is so there's no complaints there.

Baldeagle
08.03.2003, 00:23
well I cant remember having a night at home!! as I play top man for a st section band (NCT) who played last weekend and I conduct Long Eaton who play this weekend. I gave Long Eaton a night off on Tuesday because I was depping for someone at a show!!
no rest for the wicked !!

Hey Shaz I always said that NCT were a st section band :roll: Look out cz we is catchin up :twisted:

www.carltonbrass.org.uk

satchmo shaz
08.03.2003, 09:35
doh, slip of the kkeyboard! :wink:

You wanna blow my what?
08.03.2003, 12:52
I think it's silly to rehearse every night, because the players grow to hate the piece.

HBB
08.03.2003, 13:02
I think it's silly to rehearse every night, because the players grow to hate the piece.

We've had experience at that - and then instead of doing well - you are BORED of the piece - so you don't give ur full potential! Its a sad old cycle! :P

satchmo shaz
08.03.2003, 15:51
its just finding that happy medium........ and hoping the band dont "peak" too soon :wink:

cornetgirl
08.03.2003, 17:54
We're having 3 extra rehearsals in the run-up to the big day as well as the normal ones - I think any more would be Prague overkill!

And for those of us who finish work at silly times and then have to run home, get changed and go out again, it gives us chance to eat on occasion!!!!

Rach x

HBB
08.03.2003, 19:18
We're having 3 extra rehearsals in the run-up to the big day as well as the normal ones - I think any more would be Prague overkill!

And for those of us who finish work at silly times and then have to run home, get changed and go out again, it gives us chance to eat on occasion!!!!

Rach x

you mean you put eating in front of band? what about commitment :P:P:P

HBB
08.03.2003, 19:20
its just finding that happy medium........ and hoping the band dont "peak" too soon :wink:

Yeah - we've done that b4 - we had a brill rehersal and we performed the piece at the end - and it was by far the best it had ever been - so on purpose I split the last note, so it could have improved :!: :!: :!: :lol: :lol:

Soppy
08.03.2003, 23:05
We just have the 2hr normal rehersals. We had just 1 extra practice on a Sunday afternoon this year (the other was cancelled) and we're rehersing the night before for 2hrs.

People won't turn up at our band twice a week, or for many extra rehersals. I can't wait till I start going to second section band after the areas. It'll be soooooo much better with more committment etc!

HBB
08.03.2003, 23:22
We just have the 2hr normal rehersals. We had just 1 extra practice on a Sunday afternoon this year (the other was cancelled) and we're rehersing the night before for 2hrs.

People won't turn up at our band twice a week, or for many extra rehersals. I can't wait till I start going to second section band after the areas. It'll be soooooo much better with more committment etc!

Yeah, We have 2 rehersals a week, and it rocks - especcially when we play cool music with lots of people turning up. To Be Honest - you get no more people turning up regulary - you just get more advanced players - the old ones still don't turn up! :P

cornetgirl
09.03.2003, 01:08

Rach x

you mean you put eating in front of band? what about commitment :P:P:P

Eating???? Well.....I have lost rather a lot of weight recently due to not eating as a result of band! Maybe we should promote banding as a slimming aid!

Rach x

Soppy
09.03.2003, 11:17
No, we just have 1 2hr rehersal a week. I wish we did have 2!