PDA

View Full Version : Private Messages

Chunky
03.02.2004, 09:55
This morning I have received 2 emails stating I have a new private message in my inbox on this forum.

However when I go to my inbox......The cupboard is bare!

This has happened in the past, I have received email notification gone to my inbox only to be let down.

Firstly can my messages be retrieved from hyper space?
Secondly apologies to anyone who thinks I have been ignoring them!

Keppler
03.02.2004, 10:02
Potential reasons for this.
1) misbehaving email. Check the sent dates on the notification emails. They may be relating to previous pms, and have been delayed/lost etc
2) Sender may have sent the message, and subsequently deleted it, leaving you with a notification email with no related message.

Will check to see if you actually do have lost messages.

Maestro
03.02.2004, 10:16
This has also happened to me quite a few times as well.

Chunky
03.02.2004, 10:37
Glad to see I'm in good company. Apparently Joe Royle keeps sending messages that Ipswich will get promoted. Those dont appear to be getting to his players either!

Maestro
03.02.2004, 10:38
Love it mate, Love it. :lol: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Dan
03.02.2004, 11:22
This has happened to me loads of times too. I pm'd MM and he reckons they are lost in Cyber Space unfortunately.

Nevermind :)

Chunky
03.02.2004, 15:23
Potential reasons for this.
1) misbehaving email. Check the sent dates on the notification emails. They may be relating to previous pms, and have been delayed/lost etc
2) Sender may have sent the message, and subsequently deleted it, leaving you with a notification email with no related message.

Will check to see if you actually do have lost messages.

Thanks for your help and advice!

GJG
01.03.2004, 09:52
On a similar, but slightly different tack, can someone explain to me the difference between "Outbox" and "Sentbox"?
I am guessing here, but I have two messages which have been in my "Outbox" for several days, but only one message in my "Sentbox"; does this mean that the messages in the "Outbox" have never actually been sent? if so, how do I go about forcing them to be sent?

Keppler
01.03.2004, 10:32
Being in the "Outbox" simply means that the receiving party hasn't picked it up yet.

All these "mailbox" teminologies are a bit misleading. Messages aren't really "sent", nor do they pass from "outbox" to "inbox".

dyl
01.03.2004, 10:32
Messages sent by you are stored in our Outbox until they are picked up (read) by the recipient. Once they are read, the message will move to your Sentbox. This is useful in that you know if the messages have been read or not.

As far as 'forcing' them to be read is concerned, the only thing I can suggest is telephoning the recipient! ;)

GJG
01.03.2004, 10:36
OK, much clearer.

Thanks for that,

G.

Dan
22.03.2004, 15:28
Arghh, just happened again. Had a notification but no message. I could not see anyone logged in that i know, so maybe the message was not important. Just wanted to point out that if someone did want to get a message through it did not arrive ( and I am not ignoring you by not replying).
:roll:

MoominDave
22.03.2004, 19:56
Ditto - a couple of notifications but no messages.

Accidental
22.03.2004, 22:15
Ditto - but they seem to be around the times I've got real messages, so are we just getting 2 or 3 notifications for each pm?

PeterBale
23.03.2004, 07:28
It may not be the case in your situation, but I've been thrown a couple of times when I've had a notification, looked at the message, and then gone back to the page I was looking at before. In doing that, the pm notification is still showing on the page, and I've gone looking for a new message that doesn't exist :oops:

MoominDave
23.03.2004, 17:47
No - these are separate emails (we don't all spend as much on here as you do, Peter! Consequently notifications tend to reach us first by email...).

I suspect the same as Alex - those that have turned up have more or less matched multiple times to real messages.

Dave

The Cornet King
01.04.2004, 12:17
Dont know if anyone else is encountering this problem, but whenever i get a PM it doesnt notify me anything. Normally it used to bring up a window pop up screen...however that no longer appears...so i end up totally missing any PM's.

Regular inbox checks required i think.

dyl
01.04.2004, 12:29
Have you changed your profile recently? Particularly these two options:

Notify on new Private Message
Pop up window on new Private MessageMight be worth double-checking them?

The Cornet King
01.04.2004, 12:31
Have you changed your profile recently? Particularly these two options:

Notify on new Private Message
Pop up window on new Private MessageMight be worth double-checking them?

Cheers Dyl,

I've never had the notification by e mail thing on.
However the pop up window still says it will bring up a window. The 'yes' button is highlighted.
Its no great deal...just a little annoying at times.

Cheers.

sparkling_quavers
01.04.2004, 12:34
if u have an adblocker that could be blocking it chris

The Cornet King
01.04.2004, 12:35
if u have an adblocker that could be blocking it chris

Excuse my ignorance but what is one of those :?
If i have one how do i find out, and how do i get rid of it?? :?

Cheers for the help guys! Needless to say my comp expertise is VERY limited!

sparkling_quavers
01.04.2004, 12:37
it's a program that blocks pop up's from websites.......should think you should know if you installed it........unless someone else did it all for you then ask them!

The Cornet King
01.04.2004, 12:40
it's a program that blocks pop up's from websites.......should think you should know if you installed it........unless someone else did it all for you then ask them!

Oh right, well i aint installed one of those.
Shall remain a mystery i think!
Cheers for the help though Sparkly :D

flugelgal
01.04.2004, 20:46
I have the same problem but it only started recently. I use Norton Internet Security and I'm sure I didn't change anything but suddenly it blocked all scripts that open a new window (it assumes that they're ads...). I had to configure it to allow scripts for particular sites. Took me AGES to work out what was wrong though :? I felt really stupid when I did in the end.

To all the people who helped me - you know who you are - thanks :D

Kirsty

TheMusicMan
01.04.2004, 21:11
Oh right, well i aint installed one of those.
Shall remain a mystery i think!
Cheers for the help though Sparkly :D

You might have installed this Chris inadvertantly if you have installed say a full VirusScan Suite or maybe the Google toolbar... have you done that lately?

louise0502
01.04.2004, 21:46
once i logged onto tMP, got my PM, only to check my email the next day and thought "oooh i've got another PM!" but it was the one i'd already got!

The Cornet King
01.04.2004, 22:25
You might have installed this Chris inadvertantly if you have installed say a full VirusScan Suite or maybe the Google toolbar... have you done that lately?

hmm...google toolbar...you may be onto something there John!
How do i undo whatever i have done? :?
Do i need to change my settings or something??

Cheers John...think you may have hit the nail on the head!

dyl
01.04.2004, 22:39
Chris, all you need to do (to allow pop-ups on tMP i.e. pm notifications) is click on the button to the right of the 'Page Rank' on your Google toolbar - it might say something similar to '63 blocked' - that will then allow the pop-ups to load.

Try that!

The Cornet King
01.04.2004, 22:56
Right ive just unticked the thing that said 'pop up blocker'...hopefully it might work now.
Cheers Dyl!

Time to test it!

The Cornet King
01.04.2004, 23:01
Chris, all you need to do (to allow pop-ups on tMP i.e. pm notifications) is click on the button to the right of the 'Page Rank' on your Google toolbar - it might say something similar to '63 blocked' - that will then allow the pop-ups to load.

Try that!

Dyl you are a genius!!!! :D
Thanks mate...just tested the theory and i got a pop up message! :D

Cheers mate!
Thank you all the mods that have helped. :D
:wink: