PDA

View Full Version : Concert Openers and FinalÚs

Keppler
04.03.2003, 17:30
Hey people..

I've found that in our band, we're often stuck when it comes to thinking of suitable openers and finalÚs for our concerts. The openers are especially hard - something short, snappy, and impressive, giving an air of progression - while still leaving something better for later on in the programme..

I'd be interested to hear what you people use..

Neal

cornetgirl
04.03.2003, 17:35
Well...at our concert last night we opened with America/Love on the Rocks and closed with Parry's I Was Glad (scariest moment of my life as I'd arranged it)

That semed to work!

Rach x

davidsait
04.03.2003, 21:32
Opening with 'Blenheim Flourishes' is good.

Dave Sait

Boneman
04.03.2003, 22:26
I recommend you to look at our very own Roger Thornes web site, the url is
www.thornesmusic.freeserve.co.uk
There are some cracking openers and enders for bands of all standards (Black Dyke play his Zulu and it is a great finisher!) For an opener there ae some good marches, or 'Opening Brass', for a finale how about 'William Tell' (just the good bits!).

In the main most of the pieces have been written/arranged by Roger and should be playable by most bands, but the very best thing about Roger's site is that you can 'try' before you 'buy' - If you have not seen this you really MUST go and take a look - you can download each score (it only takes a few moments - even for pieces in three movements) and then play them on your PC - thus check it is suitable prior to spending your bands hard earned cash (NB you can order online).

The only software you need is 'Sibelius Scorch' which is free and available from www.thornesmusic.freeserve.co.uk - Again it only takes a few moments to download.

I highley recommend this site - have fun chosing a piece! (also having purchased from the site I can know the final product is as impressive - well printed and no need for an errata!)

BoozyBTrom
05.03.2003, 09:55
We vary our openers but have been using a great finisher and encore.

We finish the concert proper with a piece written for us by Ray Farr. its called the Ugly Peanut and is a mix of Stan Kentons the Peanut Vendor and Errico Moriconnis The Good The Bad And The Ugly.

Including dance moves a Mexican Bandito and Clint Eastwood complete with Hobby Horse.

and our encore is The Cup Of Life. played on our feet with exquisite dance moves and no music. Logistical nightmare as we all dance of stage playing the last few bars waving as we go. 8) 8)

But Worth It the audience love it.

Keppler
05.03.2003, 10:47
Thanks Simon..
I'm familiar with Roger's site, and yes indeed, Zulu is a great piece of music..

PS, how much did Roger pay you? ;)

rutty
05.03.2003, 14:07
We often start with "The Waltonian" - cracking fast march. Finishing is something else - we used to use "Young Amadeus" quite a bit, there's some lovely tunes in there in a tune that's written for a wide audience.

picju96
05.03.2003, 15:33
We normally start with a march and our encore is the Can Can. Finisher varies though. Sometimes we have started with Blenheim Flourishes as well though, and Fanfare and Flourishes is also good.

sparkling_quavers
05.03.2003, 17:29
we used to start with the first movement from music for the elizabethan court....that was good :D

Boneman
05.03.2003, 19:47
Thanks Simon..
I'm familiar with Roger's site, and yes indeed, Zulu is a great piece of music..

PS, how much did Roger pay you?

Unfortunatley Roger didn't give me a bean! - However if you need a publicity officer Rog . . . I come at a very reasonable rate![/quote]

Heather
05.03.2003, 22:13
A publicity officer is something Roger definately does NOT need!!!
He manages extremely well on his own!!!!

Di B
06.03.2003, 09:41
Hmmm..... we usually start off with a traditional march which I find a bit boring to be honest!

Our last concert was better when we opened with 'No business like showbusiness' fast and foot tapping to get the audience in the right mood, but leaves you plenty of scope for the later program.

Our finale... do we have a set one???? I don't think so as we try and change our program round as much as possible to eliminate boredom for us and our regular audience! :)

The encore part is an unusual one.... we slow it right down and play 'Irish Blessing.' It is a nice and thoughtful way to end but after a couple of hours my lips really don't appreciate those top C's!!!

Straightmute
06.03.2003, 12:17
We vary our programes and I like to experiment with different openers and finales, but try to avoid the obvious.

For our concert in York on Sunday night we'll be premiering a new arrangement of the March from Malcolm Arnold's Little Suite for Orchestra and ending with Cornetgirl's stunning antiphonal arrangment of I was Glad. As a contrast we'll start the second half with Vitae Lux which always works well in a good acoustic.

D

satchmo shaz
06.03.2003, 13:38
we tend to do a march but also something like I got rhythmn or theres no business like show business, Irish blessing or how great thou art is always in there, as is a couple of solos, maybe a duet deep inside the sacred temple or trom trio slides in swingtime and to finish Elsas procession or Farendole , depends what sort of concert it is cheers shaz :wink:

BoozyBTrom
06.03.2003, 16:17
Summon The heroes is a good opener. And Fest Music De Stat Wien.

flashbarry
06.03.2003, 16:44
Hi All

Heres a few good concert openers all from Darrol Barry:-

Starchaser, Century Explorer, Cosmopolitan, Firestar, Go For Gold, Ledger Way, American Dream, Olympic Fanfare and Theme (John Williams), Mancunian Way, Star Trek Voyager, The Trap.

Heres some finishers:- Where Eagles Dare, Homage March (Grieg), Great Western Themes, You'll Never Walk Alone.

Theres plenty more where they came from!!!!!!
:lol:
Flash
xx

cornetgirl
06.03.2003, 18:50
For our concert in York on Sunday night we'll be premiering a new arrangement of the March from Malcolm Arnold's Little Suite for Orchestra and ending with Cornetgirl's stunning antiphonal arrangment of I was Glad. D

Stunning????? Really!!!!!! Ooooooooh wow!!!!!!!!!!

Sorry...first ever brass band arrangement, I'm allowed to be overcome!!! :lol:

HBB
06.03.2003, 19:53
We open up with America/Love on the rocks too!

yorkie19
07.03.2003, 00:42
At our last concert (Stroud), we opened with On the Quarter Deck which had been requested, finished the first half with Peter Graham's Ad Optimum, opened with second half with Parade of the Charioteers and finished up with some excerpts from Bernstein's Symphnoic Dances from West Side Story.

Generally, we open with the march Yorkshire Imperial, though.

Sam
Imps

Aidan
07.03.2003, 11:21
yeah we normally open with the march Whitefield too... anyone else got any signiture tunes??
is that sam kind?

BoozyBTrom
07.03.2003, 11:25
When i used to play for carlton main frickley youth we had a march called South Elmsall on Parade.

South Elmsall is where we were based. It was witten for our senior band but we used it too.

And if my memory serves me right the opening motif used the note pattern F C B. which cleverly stood for Frickley Colliery Band.

wonder if either of the bands still use it today.

Aidan
07.03.2003, 11:32
When i used to play for carlton main frickley youth we had a march called South Elmsall on Parade.

South Elmsall is where we were based.
yeah whitefield is where we're based too..
seems to be quite popular to have a march named after where the band is based...
dyke..queensbury
B&R...west ridings
besses.. whitefield
CMFC... south elmsall

(i presume there is (or was) a band based in slaidburn too :wink: )

any other takers???

BoozyBTrom
07.03.2003, 11:42
Imps= Yorkshire Imperial
Wakefield Met= The Metroplitan
Ever Ready= Ever Ready

To name a few more

satchmo shaz
07.03.2003, 11:44
we sometimes open with a march called sherwood lodge, about a local place and written by a local chappie

Aidan
07.03.2003, 11:55
we've also got about 5 marches called "Besses O'th' Barn" haha
and on the back of whitefield theres one called "Black Dike" :? which is either extremely old, or just published by some bloke who cant spell

Di B
07.03.2003, 11:59

South Elmsall is where we were based.
yeah whitefield is where we're based too..
seems to be quite popular to have a march named after where the band is based...
dyke..queensbury
B&R...west ridings
besses.. whitefield
CMFC... south elmsall

(i presume there is (or was) a band based in slaidburn too :wink: )

any other takers???

Yep, we had a march writted for us called 'Pride of the Dales' by Darrol Barry. Its not your traditional march, but it is a nice piece and is always played somewhere in our program! :D

Keppler
07.03.2003, 12:01
Thanks for all your replies..

Any suggestions for a young band, in or around 4th section standard?

dyl
07.03.2003, 12:04
Imps= Yorkshire Imperial
Ever Ready= Ever Ready

To name a few more

We have a march called 'Deiniolen' !

Di B
07.03.2003, 12:07

There are varying standards of 4th section though!

This is *real* cheese but the audience love nothing better as an encore than Instant Concert or Hootenanny... they can clap along to it and get involved.

However, the players around the stands may start slitting their wrists!!!!

BoozyBTrom
07.03.2003, 12:07
Imps= Yorkshire Imperial
Ever Ready= Ever Ready

To name a few more

We have a march called 'Deiniolen' !

I just remembered another one. Barnard Castle.

satchmo shaz
07.03.2003, 12:10
I did have a march written for me by another local chap but it sounded vagely familiar! :wink:

dave jake
07.03.2003, 12:16
Is there one called March Of The Chutneys Boozy ? 8)

BoozyBTrom
07.03.2003, 12:20
Is there one called March Of The Chutneys Boozy ? 8)

Beleive it or not im trying to get together a Chutney Band for the whit friday marches.

Got part of a band together but it is normally the time of the Masters as well so we might be rehearsing for that. But i did mention to Alan Catheral about doing a march for us to use and he said he would so keep on the look out for Picalilly on Parade.

stephen2001
07.03.2003, 12:23
I wrote a Brass Band march as part of my GCSE composing module, which I named after my school!

It made it onto our concert programme for part of the Summer Season and people thought it was a catchy little tune!

As far as I am aware, only 2 bands have copies at the moment.

Aidan
07.03.2003, 12:43
...but it is normally the time of the Masters...
whit friday is over 2wks away from the masters this year :D woohoo
masters on 25th may and whit fri on friday the 13th of june...

flashbarry
07.03.2003, 12:46
Hi All

Wingates - Wingates
Longridge - Venom - Darrol Barry
Tyldesley - BIG T - Darrol Barry

Nice to hear that Pride of the Dales is still being used!!!

flash
xx

Valvecap
07.03.2003, 12:48
Does anyone know where i can get hold of an arrangement of John Williams March from ....

Now heres the bit where i make a fool of myself (for a change)

is it 1941

or 1942....

Hmmmmm..... Memorys died again....

Anyway - i played it as an opener for an entertainments contest a long time ago and the band that had it aint got it any more - i cant find it in any of the usual outlets... Went down well...

BoozyBTrom
07.03.2003, 12:49
Does anyone know where i can get hold of an arrangement of John Williams March from ....

Now heres the bit where i make a fool of myself (for a change)

is it 1941

or 1942....

Hmmmmm..... Memorys died again....

Anyway - i played it as an opener for an entertainments contest a long time ago and the band that had it aint got it any more - i cant find it in any of the usual outlets... Went down well...

Steve Sykes has done a very good arrangement.

Di B
07.03.2003, 13:35
Hi All

Wingates - Wingates
Longridge - Venom - Darrol Barry
Tyldesley - BIG T - Darrol Barry

Nice to hear that Pride of the Dales is still being used!!!

flash
xx

You an ex-Matlock boozer then?? Sorry I don't know but I have only been there 18 month after a banding break! :)

Either that or you're a Darrol Barry fan!

flashbarry
07.03.2003, 13:44
Hi Di

I have to be a fan or I'd be homeless!!!!

Di B
07.03.2003, 14:23
Hi Di

Should have thought about your nick a bit more really! Sorry, I'm at work and its my last day here, so my brain is already at the pub! *g*

yorkie19
07.03.2003, 14:40
yeah we normally open with the march Whitefield too... anyone else got any signiture tunes??
is that sam kind?

And what if it is?

satchmo shaz
07.03.2003, 14:52
Hi Di

Should have thought about your nick a bit more really! Sorry, I'm at work and its my last day here, so my brain is already at the pub! *g* so are you off work Monday di or have you got to start straight away

Di B
07.03.2003, 15:02
Hi Di

Should have thought about your nick a bit more really! Sorry, I'm at work and its my last day here, so my brain is already at the pub! *g* so are you off work Monday di or have you got to start straight away

Duh! You know me better than that! lol! I start my new contract on Tuesday..... problem is I started this job just after the association and had to pre-warn the agencies I would be 'unfit' for work on the Monday then too.... I guess my CV has a post it note with the word 'alcoholic' attached! :oops:

satchmo shaz
07.03.2003, 15:28
:oops: i have booked Monday off as well! :wink:

Keppler
10.03.2003, 14:22
back on topic please..specially as it's mine! ;)

Australian Euphonium
19.03.2004, 04:54
I played Philip Sparkes arrangement of 'Pastime with good company' for the first time the other night - my god what an absolute cracker, my full congratulations to the man for a magnificent piece of writing!!!

would make a remarkable finish to any concert

nickjones
19.03.2004, 09:12
I think the Steve Sykes arrangment of E.T. is a different but great opener..( available from Warner Bros )
something like the William Gordon ( S.A Version ) of Symphony No2 ( the Little Russian )
depends if you have a theme for your concert , am sure whatever you play the audience will appricaite it :D

Bones
19.03.2004, 09:41

South Elmsall is where we were based. It was witten for our senior band but we used it too.

And if my memory serves me right the opening motif used the note pattern F C B. which cleverly stood for Frickley Colliery Band.

wonder if either of the bands still use it today.

They sure do, and a little if not blatant plug, if you listen to Listen to the Band tonight, you'll here played there.

Cheers Gaz, check's in the post. And I haven;t forgotten your music.

Kernow
19.03.2004, 12:51
How about Sounds Of Brass (I know that it is advertising my own music but it does make a great opener).
It is approx. 1min 50secs (you wanted something short), and whenever I have used it to start a concert it has really made the audience sit up.
Sounds Of Brass is available through Prima Arts.
Other slightly longer alternatives are: Mission Impossible, The Great Escape, Dragnet, McArthur Glen or Bandology (Played up tempo always goes down well).
For a good finisher/encore try one of these: Reunion and Finale, My Way, Procession To The Minster or any good singalong i.e. You'll Never Walk Alone.

ted
19.03.2004, 13:07
Instant concert is a hell of a opener.
It also works well as the finale and encore.

Ugh!

Ted

tim
19.03.2004, 16:58

March Star Lake Is a great opener for that standard

Despot
19.03.2004, 18:30
Instant concert is a hell of a opener.
It also works well as the finale and encore.

Ugh!

Ted

Sadly, it does work, doesn't it?! :cry:

Lothianh
19.03.2004, 18:49
The John Williams "Olympic Fanfare and Theme" is a good opener. In fact, at one concert where we opened with it we had several people in the audience on their feet when we finished. A standing ovation on your first tune - now *that's* a good way to start a concert!!

In general, we tend to either open or close with a march. We often use "Listen to the Band" as a signature tune, even as an encore at times.

-Lothian

Trigger
19.03.2004, 21:47
I love the piece Zulu! It's a brilliant finale piece with loads of percussion and it is a definate crowd pleaser. Not sure who the arrangement is by, and I'm not 100% sure if it is actually available or not, but it should be published if it isn't already. All I know is that my old band used to play it and it was excellent. :!:

dyl
19.03.2004, 21:58
I love the piece Zulu!
Do you mean the one arranged by tMP's very own Roger Thorne - and available from Thornes Music (http://www.thornesmusic.freeserve.co.uk) ;) Agree with it as a cracker - we even recorded it on our CD a few years ago!

Sorry - two plugs in the one post!

Roger Thorne
19.03.2004, 23:01
I love the piece Zulu!
Cheers Trig! :D :D :D

Trigger
19.03.2004, 23:07
That's ok mate :D Completely innocent plug there. But it's just fab. I love it. :wink: I hope my new band gets it :D :D :D

AJSOP
20.03.2004, 10:45
Openers - Spirit of the Celts, Aces High, Trumpet Blues and Cantabile.
Finishers - Pines of Rome, Procession to the minster, shine as the light.

Nigel Hall
20.03.2004, 16:06
To blow my own trumpet.... welllll MMI's anyway - we have two cracking openers:

My own arrangement of Monteverdi's Deus in Adjutorium (used by Brackley & District in a couple of winning entertainment contests [Thanks Jason!!] and is also featured on City Of Oxford's website. Also Just Brass by Jeff Evans (don't let the title put you off it has percussion as well) and both pieces are featured on our Jazzcat CD.

My own personal fave to finish a concert is De Haan's arrangement of Evening Song (The Day Thou Gavest) - play that and there won't be a dry eye in the house.

skweeky
21.03.2004, 11:27
startin with La Danza is great - playing it as fast as you physically can.

Ending with an overture called Ross Roy by Jacob De Hann

katej
21.03.2004, 16:03
I always liked Opening Brass by Roger Thorne when we played it in Jackfield. :) I still have the tape we made with it on. I was 14 at the time. The can-can was on there as well.
Kate

Roger Thorne
21.03.2004, 17:39
I always liked Opening Brass by Roger Thorne
Thanks Kate :D

:wink:

katej
21.03.2004, 20:45
Your welcome Roger. :)

tim
21.03.2004, 22:20
Last year we finsihed with Blue Rondo Alla Turk which was kool but this year we're doin caravan which i h8 with a passion!!!!!!!!!

Phil Green
21.03.2004, 22:20
We generally start with a march - The Cossack was written for us in 190x and we've played it as our signature tune ever since.
Another great march to open a concert is Army of the Nile.

Currently my favourite finisher is Andrew Duncan's arrangement of Phantom Menace - incredible!

Vickitorious
22.03.2004, 00:22
Tonight, we started the first half with Ruby Tuesday and finished with Bohemian Rhapsody. Then, the second half started with Trombola and finished with Symphonic Marches ------- Wow! I love that piece! lol! :D :D