PDA

View Full Version : RIP Brian Cronshaw

ChrisHelme
10.08.2010, 17:45
Following a telephone call from Frances Cronshaw I have to share the sad news that her husband Brian peacefully passed away on Tuesday 3, August.

As many readers will remember during the 1960s Brian was assistant principal cornet to Derek Garside at CWS (Manchester) Band. A few years ago I had the opportunity of chatting with Brian’s and writing about his life in the famous CWS band.

It was in the early 1960s’ as Brian’s cornet playing developed, his tutor, who unknown to Brian, was in fairly regular contact with Alex Mortimer, the musical director at the CWS (Manchester) Band.

Brian himself had also been in contact with Harry Mortimer and had successfully auditioned and agreed to join Fairey Aviation Works Band. Brian recalled the day of the audition, “It was a nice introduction to championship banding”. It was Leonard Lamb, Fairey’s Resident Conductor who had initially set up and arranged the audition with Harry Mortimer. However, little more than three months later the opportunity presented itself with an invitation to have an audition at CWS with Alex Mortimer.

He recalled that audition as well – “…it was absolutely nerve racking, Alex wasn’t like his brother, you had to be very broad minded as well, listening to the saucy remarks he came out with, but he was absolute magic in the middle…”

It was now 1964, and as with all new members of the CWS band Brian was offered employment at the company. Back in those days the whole company was proud of the band’s achievements – this was their band.

Joining the CWS band was his long held ambition, and was thrilled at being part of such a marvellous band, playing along side Derek was a sheer delight. Brian had many happy memories and highlights with CWS - one of them he recalled without hesitation was when the band won the British Open at Belle Vue in 1966.

In 1971 he was invited to join a new band as the Principal Solo Cornet, at the Middleton (Manchester) based British Vita Band under the baton of Jack Harrison.

Brian still enjoyed his playing right up until he became too ill, as one of the front row cornet players at the Whitworth Veterans Band. A band where he shared his love of playing with many of his old friends.

Brian looked back over his musical career and philosophically told me that he set out as a very young cornet player to do his best. To have had the opportunity of joining what was certainly one of the best bands, the Famous CWS (Manchester) Band, as the Fontana record producers marketed it. Whilst this was such a daunting task, but as a young cornet player growing up it was the highest reward he could have dreamed of.

On behalf of the banding world we send deepest condolences to Brian’s family.

The funeral will be at 11.30, Thursday 12th August at All Saints Church, Foxholes Road, off Halifax Road, RochdaleOL14 0EF. Prior to Committal at Rochdale Crematorium at 1pm. Family flowers only please donations if so desired to Leukaemia and Lymphoma Research. All enquiries and donations please to Spotland Bridge Funeral Service, 225 Spotland Road, Rochdale, Tel 869995

Chris Helme

iancwilx
10.08.2010, 22:45
I saw Brian play with CWS many times, and indeed shared the stage with him on a few massed band jobs at Huddersfield town hall.
A great band and a sad loss.
I was with Imps in 1966 and came 2nd to CWS "Downland" at the British Open - a great days contesting.
Sincere condolences,

- Mr Wilx
(Ian Wilkinson)