PDA

View Full Version : NWCBBA 3rd section

bigman_holland
23.02.2010, 13:29
hi, anyone have an up to date 3rd section table with current points scored by the bands at each of the nwcbba contests? i am after knowing which bands if any are below us to see if we are looking at relegation to 4th section.
cheers.

JPCoulson
23.02.2010, 13:52
have you checked out their website? not sure if there is a list on there?

bigman_holland
23.02.2010, 14:40
what is the web address?

Frontman
23.02.2010, 14:51
North West Counties BBA do not have a web site I believe. However i am sorry if I am misinformed.

budstellabecks
23.02.2010, 14:59
hi, anyone have an up to date 3rd section table with current points scored by the bands at each of the nwcbba contests? i am after knowing which bands if any are below us to see if we are looking at relegation to 4th section.
cheers.

We've not done any local contests with Eccles this season due to overkill on contesting for the National Finals and Pontins.

I think the only points we will have so far are from our 3rd place at Pontins but that was in the 4th section, we'll be 3rd section at the Area in a couple of weeks and I thnk there will be points accredited for that (as long as we get a decent placing I suppose).

bigman_holland
23.02.2010, 17:07
cheers for that. we are really miffed, we have come 5th at fleetwood, and 4th at brass at the guild, and still have a chance of going down apparently. i have been told that there are 2 bands below us, but if they do well at the areas then they will leap frog us. but we have been looking at results of this yrs contests and there are 3 bands thast have not done any contests at all. so i dont really know where we stand. if you are in the 3rd section, any chance of letting me know if you have or have not done any contests this yr. i am thinking it may be a tactic to get us to attend tameside, which we are doing anyway!!

andyp
23.02.2010, 17:27
NWABBA does have a website;

http://www.northwestbrassbands.org.uk/index.asp?ID=43

The Area has nothing to do with your local ranking - they are quite separate. Local ranking is based on the 4 NWABBA contests Fleetwood/Preston/Tameside/St.Helens. Nationals on your performance at the Areas over the last 3 years.

Prepared to be corrected, but that's how I understand it.

To be promoted locally you have to do 3 out of the 4 contests iirc.

bigman_holland
23.02.2010, 18:04
i have now been told that the results from the areas are now used in the local grading point system!!

budstellabecks
23.02.2010, 18:10

The Area has nothing to do with your local ranking - they are quite separate. Local ranking is based on the 4 NWABBA contests Fleetwood/Preston/Tameside/St.Helens. Nationals on your performance at the Areas over the last 3 years.

That's the NWABBA which as as far as I know is a different organisation to the NWCBBA ????

We have had the tables on our notice board and I['m sure they do include Pontins and the Area, I could be wrong though.

We were in the 4th Nationally though last year and so our Pontins result was in the 4th section, I'm not sure how this affects what points we get (if any) in th elocal tables.

andyp
23.02.2010, 18:35
i have now been told that the results from the areas are now used in the local grading point system!!

I don't see how, given bands can be in different sections locally and nationally!!

We're 2nd national and 3rd local, being in the 2nd national didn't get us promoted locally as well.

floppymute
23.02.2010, 18:38

NWBBA and North West Counties BBA are two entirely different organisations

andyp
23.02.2010, 18:38
And this is the national gradings one, which is a different site?

http://www.nwrbbcc.org.uk/

bigman_holland
24.02.2010, 00:15
there are now 6 contests that give you points locally.... fleetwood, pontins, st helens, guild, areas, and tameside!!

stotty74
24.02.2010, 00:51
I really dont see how this is possible, as so many bands are graded in different sections for local contests (Fleetwood, Wilkinsons, Preston and Tameside) and for nationally graded contests (Pontins and Areas). Have a look at the recent Brass at the Guild thread to see how much confusion is caused by having two different ranking systems.

AFAIK the two nationally graded contests have absolutely no bearing on your local gradings. SImilar to a previous poster...my band is 2nd Section local and 3rd Section National and your national grading is affected only by a 3-year average at the Area's only. The section entered for Pontins is based on your national grading but this result has no relevance to either your local or national grading.

I will see if i can get some info on the local contest gradings from our Secretary...would be good to have everything clarified.

marc71178
24.02.2010, 01:01
Wouldn't it just be easier to scrap local gradings?

DMBabe
25.02.2010, 07:52
Maybe it's because I'm from an area that doesn't have local gradings, but isn't all a bit mental and confusing? No wonder you have no idea what's going on if you have two different organisations in the mix. Surely nationally standardised gradings are the way to go? :dunno

tubaloopy
25.02.2010, 11:26
Maybe it's because I'm from an area that doesn't have local gradings, but isn't all a bit mental and confusing? No wonder you have no idea what's going on if you have two different organisations in the mix. Surely nationally standardised gradings are the way to go? :dunno

National gradings judge a bands standard on 1 contest over 3 years.
Local gradings judge a band on 4 contests over 1 year.

One bad performance/result at the area could keep you in the same section for years.

DMBabe
25.02.2010, 11:41
Yeah but I've always thought that each area could have contests which are affiliated so that it doesn't all hang on one contest. Still madly confusing though..........

BASEMANIAN
25.02.2010, 19:07
you get half points if you are competing in a lower section than your local grading

bigman_holland
18.03.2010, 11:59
so, back to my original question. does anyone have an up to date grade table for nwcbba 3rd section going into tameside?

budstellabecks
18.03.2010, 12:18
Does anyone have a definite list of what bands are in the 3rd section NWCBBA ?

bigman_holland
18.03.2010, 13:02
off my head there is
thornton cleveleys
eccles borough
formby
hoover bolton
blackley
trinity girls
eccleston
coppul and standish
rivington

E flat fred
20.03.2010, 09:24
Why scrap local gradings?
It gives a band a chance of local promotion to try itself against so called better bands.
Of all the points you collect in a season you only take the best 4 scoring ones into account when deciding your local grading for promotion. You ignore all others.
National placings do count

Anno Draconis
20.03.2010, 13:18
Why scrap local gradings?
It gives a band a chance of local promotion to try itself against so called better bands.

Because it leads to:

a) bands promoted beyond their ability (e.g 2nd and 3rd section bands in the local "championship" section) who then either stop entering or turn up and collect a whuppin'

b) "So-called better bands" going on a pot-hunt in the section below their national grading.

c) confusion and bafflement amongst the majority of people who don't understand how it works, especially from outwith the area.

E flat fred
20.03.2010, 13:22
The only way to improve is to play against better bands.
It is no sucess to win every time in a section that you should not be in due to the complicated system to get out of.
It should not be the concern of anyone not in the local area.

Anno Draconis
20.03.2010, 13:32
The only way to improve is to play against better bands.
It is no sucess to win every time in a section that you should not be in due to the complicated system to get out of.
It should not be the concern of anyone not in the local area.

The only way to improve is to practice. Playing against better bands has nothing to do with it.

So you don't think bands from outwith the area should enter? Because if I was a conductor of a Yorkshire or Midlands 3rd section band entering Tameside (for example) I'd want to know why there were national 2nd section bands in my section.

E flat fred
20.03.2010, 18:14
There is nothing better than the real thing.
Practice has its place but to PLAY against better bands improves you as well and gives you a lot more incentive plus a great sense of achievement
The rule is simple. If you are from another area and do not like the conditions. Do not enter.
Let the people in the area set their rules. hence the formaqtion of the NWCBBA.

andybass
08.04.2010, 15:37
hi bigman. local gradings ,north west sent out.your secretary should have them.

bigman_holland
08.04.2010, 17:56
cheers andy got them this morning.

budstellabecks
08.04.2010, 17:57
cheers andy got them this morning.

Out of curiosity, to put us all out of our misery. How did the 3rd section end up looking ?

AndyCat
08.04.2010, 17:57
Where are we (Freckleton) Ian?

bigman_holland
08.04.2010, 18:00
dunno andy, we only got sent our own section. sorry pal. think you need to give threlly a call.

AndyCat
08.04.2010, 18:02
Been trying to no avail!

E flat fred
08.04.2010, 18:26
Can anyone post ALL the NW Counties final gradings for 2009 /10 in all sections

andybass
08.04.2010, 21:25
morecambe promoted to top section in 2nd place, oldham 1st. i am so proud of my band morecambe after only coming up from 3rd section last time. great effort. will celebrate big time

AndyCat
09.04.2010, 00:17
We (Freckleton) were 1st this year, but I don't understand how! The points don't seem to make sense.

But I'm not complaining!

Frontman
09.04.2010, 01:46
I would have thought that Darwen Brass would have won the 4th Secton after all their wins?

sopranoplayer
09.04.2010, 14:06
I would have thought that Darwen Brass would have won the 4th Secton after all their wins?

Darwen Brass did win the 4th section :biggrin:

bigman_holland
09.04.2010, 15:14
hoover bolton won 3rd section. we, (thornton cleveleys band) ended up 4th. an excellent result considering we only did 3 contests (fleetwood, guild and tameside). there was at one point a chance of us going down if we didnt do tameside. we were also only one point getting promoted ourselves in the end!! funny how things turn out.
well done darwen, see you in the 3rd section at fleetwood. well done too, to freck.

Frontman
09.04.2010, 15:49
morecambe promoted to top section in 2nd place, oldham 1st. i am so proud of my band morecambe after only coming up from 3rd section last time. great effort. will celebrate big time

Well done to you and everyone at Morcambe. Keep up the good work Andy.

E flat fred
09.04.2010, 16:02
Big Man Holland. Did you not do the Area Nationals as well Thay also count for the NWCBBA league

andyp
09.04.2010, 21:01
Big Man Holland. Did you not do the Area Nationals as well Thay also count for the NWCBBA league

The Areas don't count for local gradings, a lot of the bands are in different sections nationally from what they are locally so it wouldn't work.

AndyCat
09.04.2010, 21:03
The Areas don't count for local gradings, a lot of the bands are in different sections nationally from what they are locally so it wouldn't work.

But they have counted this time. No idea how they've worked it, but the Area DOES count.

E flat fred
09.04.2010, 21:17
we had a bad result at the Area Nationals and had to go to Tameside to cancel it out so I can say for 2009/10 area results did count in the local gradings.

KMJ Recordings
09.04.2010, 22:04

Nice one Andy :biggrin:

JPCoulson
10.04.2010, 08:59

The area gradings have always counted haven't they as well as Pontins?

bigman_holland
10.04.2010, 16:23
points from areas and pontins do count towards the local gradings. however, if you are in a higher section nationally than locally, then you are only awarded half points towards your local grading.
and fred, no, we did not do the areas or pontins. think we need to re apply to be given a national grading. we would defo be put in the 4th though.

andyp
10.04.2010, 17:11
points from areas and pontins do count towards the local gradings. however, if you are in a higher section nationally than locally, then you are only awarded half points towards your local grading.
and fred, no, we did not do the areas or pontins. think we need to re apply to be given a national grading. we would defo be put in the 4th though.

blimey, it's even more complicated than I thought - so for playing against better bands (if you're higher nationally) you get half the points?
Seems a bit odd.

marc71178
10.04.2010, 17:32
The whole concept of local gradings seems odd and I'm yet to see anyone give a logical reason for it.