13. Okehampton Excelsior Silver (Des Law), 12
14. Verwood 'B' (Trevor Naughton), 14
15. Spinnaker Brass (Gordon Leask), 15
16. Wilton & District (Colin Herbert), 4
17. Porthleven Town (F E Ralph), 3
18. Lostwithiel Town (Denzil Stephens), 13
19. Chalford Academy (Steve Tubb), 9
20. Cheltenham Silver (Rob Folland), 10

Courtesy www.4barsrest.com (http://www.4barsrest.com)

Andrew Norman
13.03.2010, 18:34
Well done Wight Brass on your debut... A respectable placing.

Euphemistic
13.03.2010, 21:10
First Section
Results:
1. Portishead Town (Ian Dickinson), 11*
2. Bournemouth Concert Brass (Nigel Taken), 5*
3. St Austell Town (Gareth Pritchard), 12
4. Camborne 'B' (Alan Pope), 9

Courtesy www.4barsrest.com (http://www.4barsrest.com)

Congratulations to some of my old chums in Portishead - they have come a long way since they were the "Electricity Club Band"!

Jon Clare

Chris Hicks
14.03.2010, 01:14
Just a quick congratulations for my old band Portishead! Fantastic result! And promotion to the top section!!! 3rd section to Championship in 5 years and 3 trips to Harrogate! Well done!

tubaminstrel
14.03.2010, 20:35
1. Flowers
2. Camborne

Can anyone put up the rest? my stoopid computer won't log in to 4br

Chris Hicks
14.03.2010, 22:47
3. Woodfalls
4. Mount Charles
5. St Dennis
6. Lydbrook
10. Yeovil

jackocorn
14.03.2010, 23:28
1. Filton Concert Brass (Bryn James), 6*
2. Shrewton Silver (Michael Dunford), 12*
3. Swindon Pegasus Brass (Mike Lock), 4
4. Forest of Dean Brass (Jack Smith), 13
5. Brunel Brass (John Winterflood), 9
6. City of Bristol (Ceri Thomas), 10
7. Cinderford (Nigel Seaman), 8
8. Heyl Town (Derek Johnston), 11
9. Bristol East & Kingswood (Dan Jones), 2
10. St Pinnock (Chirs Spreadbury), 14
11. Phoenix Brass (Crewkerne) (Paul Slator), 3
12. Wotton & District Silver (Dennis Grant), 5
13. Pendennis Brass (Steve Thomas), 1
14. Gillingham Silver (Alan MacRae), 7

trippo
15.03.2010, 13:46
Just a quick congratulations for my old band Portishead! Fantastic result! And promotion to the top section!!! 3rd section to Championship in 5 years and 3 trips to Harrogate! Well done!

Congratulations to some of my old chums in Portishead - they have come a long way since they were the "Electricity Club Band"!

Jon Clare

Jon/Chris,

Many thanks for your kind posts. We are still in a state of total shock and amazement at Portishead. It was a terrific weekend and a great result for us against some fantastic opposition.

We couldn't be more delighted for Ian Dickinson who has put in so much hard work with the band over the past couple of years. To quote Ian "we will go on stage as friends, come off stage as friends and will have a drink together in the bar afterwards whatever the result". And didn't we just !!!

Steve

toppy the tenor
15.03.2010, 16:07
Steve - I'm amazed that you're even still alive! It has just about sunk in now and I've been smiling all day. I had a lot of really good comments from people I didn't even know on Saturday which is always pleasing and I think a mark that we did a good job. Always worth more than your mum telling you how proud she is...!

I can't comment on any other performacne because I didn't hear any but all I can say is that I was pleased with our performance. We performed exactly what we'd put together in the practices over the week before and I know we were all very content with that even before the results. Some very good individual performances from us on the day and an overall solid display form the band generally I think. But most of all - as you've already highlighted - superb direction from Ian Dickinson.

maryellan
15.03.2010, 17:29
I listened to the 2nd Section on Sunday and was pleasantly surprised how this section has improved this year. Congratulations must go to Filton Concert Brass and Shrewton Silver for winning the 2nd section . Both these bands put in good safe performances. I wish you all the best for Harrogate.
However Cinderford and Brunel Brass must be disappointed as their performances on the day were, I felt far more musical but perhaps less safe?

tinytim
15.03.2010, 18:05
Congratulations to Portishead. We were reasonably pleased with our (Weston Brass's) 5th place in the 3rd Section (one place better than last year), but hoped for better. Pit we couldn't make it a North Somerset double. We've certainly improved under Tony Osborne, so upwards and onwards for next year! If anyone saw 4BR's Twitter photo of "Weymouth's front row" it was wrong! They were ours!

Boo2LittleChef
15.03.2010, 23:56
I listened to the 2nd Section on Sunday and was pleasantly surprised how this section has improved this year. Congratulations must go to Filton Concert Brass and Shrewton Silver for winning the 2nd section . Both these bands put in good safe performances. I wish you all the best for Harrogate.
However Cinderford and Brunel Brass must be disappointed as their performances on the day were, I felt far more musical but perhaps less safe?

I agree on the standards improvement overall as I listened to just about every band. I do disagree however though on Brunel - it all seemed a bit top and bottom heavy at times and there was no detail in the middle of the band. Perhaps they've peaked after losing some of their quality players?

weenie
16.03.2010, 08:02
A huge well done to all the Gloucestershire & Bristol bands this weekend..........great set of results!

MartinEbTuba
16.03.2010, 14:04

MaryEllen - yes, it was exceedingly disappointing to have placed 5th on Sunday. I personally thought we gave a good performance and was hoping for a top 3 position. However, having said that, we were up against some really quality bands, and I don't think there's anyone in Brunel who has any complaints about the contest or results.

We've had a fantastic run over the last few years - and it's been the most incredible musical journey for us all. I suppose we've been spoiled to a certain degree by our success, and I think this years regional contest has really felt like coming down to earth with a bump!

So yes, I'm devastated and heartbroken - but I'm also feeling incredibly inspired. After all, how cool is it to be a brass player at the moment: banding is still going strong in the west; we've got brass band music featuring on prime time TV! All in all, the future looks bright :D

RobBari
16.03.2010, 14:10
MaryEllen - yes, it was exceedingly disappointing to have placed 5th on Sunday. I personally thought we gave a good performance and was hoping for a top 3 position. However, having said that, we were up against some really quality bands, and I don't think there's anyone in Brunel who has any complaints about the contest or results.

We've had a fantastic run over the last few years - and it's been the most incredible musical journey for us all. I suppose we've been spoiled to a certain degree by our success, and I think this years regional contest has really felt like coming down to earth with a bump!

Well said!:tup

Chris Hicks
16.03.2010, 15:10
Championship Section:
Sunday 14th March

The Forum
Draw: 1pm
Commences: (not before) 3.30pm
Adjudicators: David Horsfield & Stan Lippeatt

Result:
1. Flowers (Paul Holland), 7*
2. Camborne Town (Ian Porthouse), 4*
3. Woodfalls (Professor Nicholas Childs), 1
4. Mount Charles (Phillip McCann), 10
5. St Dennis (Philip Harper), 2
6. Lydbrook (Tom Brevic), 6
7. Sherborne Town (Paul Cosh), 9
8. Helston Town (John Hitchins), 3
9. Poole Borough (Phil Randell), 8
10. Yeovil Town (Kevin Robbins), 5

*Top 2 bands qualify for the Finals

Courtesy of 4br

Thought i'd stick in the full results for the top section as it hadn't been done!

And so to my opinion of sunday! Unfortunately heard none of the second section which was a shame particularly wanted to hear Bristol East and Kingswood but i was driving through Newton Abbot as you went on so that wasn't to happen!

On to the top section, i heard bands 1 through to 7 and thought flowers thoroughly deserved the victory, i said it would be a couple of points a head, which was something that was confirmed by the adjudicators! Lydbrook i thought also put in a decent performance and were also well deserved of their top 6 placing! I thought Helston might have come a few places higher but that wasn't to be, and would agree with cambourne in 2nd, unfortunately didn't hear mount charles, or really hear any reviews either so no idea about their placing!

Overall, thoroughly enjoyable contest, with a great test piece! Looking like the line up for RAH is going to be very strong this year!

ophicliede
16.03.2010, 16:41
I agree on the standards improvement overall as I listened to just about every band. I do disagree however though on Brunel - it all seemed a bit top and bottom heavy at times and there was no detail in the middle of the band. Perhaps they've peaked after losing some of their quality players?

Thanks for your comments regarding Brunel Brass - however you are incorrect in suggesting we have peaked after losing some of our quality players. Brunel Brass consists mainly of young players that are home bred and after the National Finals last September four of the youngsters went off to university, co-principal cornet, flugel, 1st horn and percussionist. Those players places were filled with youngsters from the Great Western Youth Band in keeping with the ethos and principles of Brunel Band - to nuture future young brass players for the movement.

The band has been promoted to the section higher in three successive years performing against increasingly more experienced bands on far more challenging music. Kingdom of Dragons was a difficult, but excellent testpiece for the 2nd Section and I take my hat off to Phil Harper for his composition. Brunel Brass is not a band that must win a contest at any cost (bringing in ringers) and we consider our progress to be a fantastic musical journey, especially as two of the new players to the band were only 12 years old (the flugel and percussion). As a band we only rehearse once a week but did have four extra rehearsals on the testpiece, so we consider that to take a fifth place on our debut in the 2nd section is not an under achievement but rather a great position to be in. After all we were 5th in our first ever regional contest 2007. Congratulations and good luck to the winners and qualifiers!!

Gerald
16.03.2010, 21:25
Having attended the west of England brass band championships, I felt moved to comment on some very impressive features of the whole competition. The playing by the 4th section bands of that charming test piece, The Saint-Saens variations was delightful and Flowers victory was well deserved and most impressive. I have followed the fortunes of some of the bands in the lower sections, and on Sunday morning in Torquay I came across a little gem. Swindon Pegasus Brass, who have failed to make any significant impression over the last couple of years, gave a performance under their new director, which demonstrated commendable tone quality and a very professional standard overall. I thought they deserved better than their 3rd placing and I shall be intrigued to see how much progress they have made by this time next year. What a superb example to others, well done!
Overall, the general increase in band standards was very encouraging and it is nice to see the movement in such good hands!

The Nutcracker
16.03.2010, 22:31
and on Sunday morning in Torquay I came across a little gem. Swindon Pegasus Brass, who have failed to make any significant impression over the last couple of years, gave a performance under their new director, which demonstrated commendable tone quality and a very professional standard overall. I thought they deserved better than their 3rd placing and I shall be intrigued to see how much progress they have made by this time next year. What a superb example to others, well done!
Overall, the general increase in band standards was very encouraging and it is nice to see the movement in such good hands!

Thank you for your kind comments Gerald, Pegasus have seen vast improvements over the recent few months and are thriving under their new conductor! Lets hope we continue in our progress and keep you entertained in next years contest!!

Boo2LittleChef
16.03.2010, 22:32
@ Ophicliede - indeed, the band is to be commended on attracting (and retaining) young players, and I daresay you will enjoy many years service from them! :) I wasn't suggesting that you had "ringers" playing either - simply that I thought the band was a little imbalanced and lacked power/depth somewhat in the middle instruments. But as you say, not an awful result, had it been someone else in the box they may have given you a more correct score according to the band's ability. I wish you all the accolades that you deserve for future performance in contesting!

Stickyvalves
17.03.2010, 19:24

So yes, I'm devastated and heartbroken - but I'm also feeling incredibly inspired. After all, how cool is it to be a brass player at the moment: banding is still going strong in the west; we've got brass band music featuring on prime time TV! All in all, the future looks bright :D
Well said!!!
The youngsters inspired me everyweek leading upto the contest with their hard work and commitment.

tubbytuba
17.03.2010, 22:39
While waiting to go on stage to perform in the 1st section with Camborne B a few comments were heard saying to effect no worries they are only a youth band!!! Well we did only have 5 players over the age of twenty,we also had 2 players who were 12 years old and the principal euphonium was 13 the the week before the contest and the principal cornet was 15, you could almost say it was a youth band but dont forget this in its youth band guise has been National champions for the last 6 years and is at present the premier champion youth band of great britain so never underestimate the quality of youngsters coming along at the present and our well deserved 4th place in our 1st year in the 1st section proves this!!!

toppy the tenor
18.03.2010, 08:35
Hi Tubby Tuba.

I know we shared the dressing room with you before you went on stage and I hope that comment didn't come from any of the Portishead crew? We certainly don't think that about your young and talented band. If anything we're extremely envious of the band's ability to attract so many youngsters. Especially considering we had to take the stage with only 3 front row and 3 back row cornets.

By all accounts you are VERY unlucky not to be at Harrogate again this year following your perfromance on Saturday. But I'm sure there will be a few bands come September who will be relieved not to see you on the line up of qualifying band's given your excellent record at the Finals!

All the very best for the future and keep up the good work bringing on those classy young bands people. And if any of them are thinking of comeing to Bristol Uni at any point in the future I know a cracking band who will welcome them withopen arms

Toppy

MartinEbTuba
18.03.2010, 08:37
Well said!!!
The youngsters inspired me everyweek leading upto the contest with their hard work and commitment.

Absolutely!!! The youngsters were terrific, and are a major part of the reason why Brunel is such an amazing band to play for! I only wish I'd been as dedicated and hard-working when I was their age!

Mesmerist
18.03.2010, 12:51
Tubby you are always banging on about the age of your band. It doesn`t matter. Mount Charles used a 14 year old on the Soprano seat who was great to listen to and watch. I cannot imagine anyone would really be nasty about your band either before or after you played. The men in the box don`t care how old we all are or what we look like so don`t take any notice of negative comments.
Well done to Portishead and Bournemouth. Come on you two bring the silverware home in September.

Exiled_Janner
18.03.2010, 13:13
On the subject of age ... well done to Test Valley Brass ... 4th section West of England Champs, with 50% of the band being Youth Band Players.

ophicliede
18.03.2010, 13:24
On the subject of age ... well done to Test Valley Brass ... 4th section West of England Champs, with 50% of the band being Youth Band Players.

A great result for Test Valley and Steve Large. I'm sure they will repeat what they did several years ago and move through the sections. Good luck in Harrogate!

tubbytuba
18.03.2010, 13:30
Tubby you are always banging on about the age of your band. It doesn`t matter. Mount Charles used a 14 year old on the Soprano seat who was great to listen to and watch. I cannot imagine anyone would really be nasty about your band either before or after you played. The men in the box don`t care how old we all are or what we look like so don`t take any notice of negative comments.
Well done to Portishead and Bournemouth. Come on you two bring the silverware home in September.

Maybe im so very proud of the young band i play for that i like to bang on about their age and fablous ability,lol and that includes two of my daughters who played on the day(solo horn and third cornet) as for Mt Charles yep young Brendan is a good lad (helped us a couple of times). Very well done to all the bands in the 1st section, didnt get to hear many though. p.s just back to the age bit but maybe it really does matter a lot more than some of us may think as this is our future and i dont think the comments were nasty just maybe supprising considering the bands history,finally to add no offence was taken,as always our playing is what does the talking lol

ophicliede
18.03.2010, 13:35
Hey tubbytuba, Well done, I can understand how proud you feel about your achievements as a band. Lots of bands choose to trawl around and get adults in to plug the gaps and even go to the lengths of getting in people especially for the contests. I have an immense amount of respect for the bands in Cornwall who train these talented youngsters. I was priviledged to adjudicate at contests held in St Dennis and at Launceston in recent years and what fantastic young musicians I listened to. The spirit and feeling in a band composed of youngsters is quite unique and needs to be cherished. It is a winning formula. The bands that poach and coerce to get new players are getting fewer because they don't invest time in training young people. Good luck Camborne B and Test Valley.

tubbytuba
18.03.2010, 13:37
Hello Toppy many thanks for your good comments and kind words,very well done on your success and good luck at Harrogate later this year

tubbytuba
18.03.2010, 13:45
We did lose four of our young stars only a few weeks prior to the areas( Principal euph and baritone to Camborne Town,front row cornet to Mt Charles and a bass to Lanner) but a great show by those that filled their seats and thanks again for the nice comments given to us.

Exiled_Janner
18.03.2010, 14:12
Got to agree - the future of brass banding is not only about the current media coverage - it is about hard work and dedication in teaching youngsters to play and thrive in a brass bands. Hats off to all the tutors and people with that vision everywhere!

toppy the tenor
18.03.2010, 15:37
A great result for Test Valley and Steve Large. I'm sure they will repeat what they did several years ago and move through the sections. Good luck in Harrogate!

Can't agree more. As a former member of Test Valley during the 'succesful years' I can't wish them enough luck at Harrogate.

Go get 'em Steve and the rest of the team!

Blower
19.03.2010, 01:14
We did lose four of our young stars only a few weeks prior to the areas( Principal euph and baritone to Camborne Town,front row cornet to Mt Charles and a bass to Lanner) but a great show by those that filled their seats and thanks again for the nice comments given to us.

Wasn't Camborne Youth set up to feed the real Camborne band? It is a little concerning how many youth players actually pack in banding after being with Camborne Youth, not many seem to make it out into the wider banding community? Good on those that have managed to break out!!

FullCrotchet
19.03.2010, 08:43
Absolutely!!! The youngsters were terrific, and are a major part of the reason why Brunel is such an amazing band to play for! I only wish I'd been as dedicated and hard-working when I was their age!

I completely agree, just watching their commitment and enjoyment over the weeks leading up to the contest is enough motivation! The future is bright with the youth set-up, lots to look forward to!

jim
19.03.2010, 12:16

I must say I have been fortanate to have heard Camborne B & Youth many times over the last feiw years and know a few players there two! and each time they knock me for 6 with how good they are.

I was privlaged to here the band on sat and they for me had the best band sound, out of the bands I heard which was the majority in the 1st section the young principle cornet player Lauren Mankee? and Soprano Bekki Spinks were two of the finest soloist in the whole section and could have quite easily been on principle seats in the top section, they both played with true cornet/sop tonal qualitys warm/natral production and whats more they all looked like they loved every minute of performing.

May you keep the great work up

James

springy
21.03.2010, 17:34
Wasn't Camborne Youth set up to feed the real Camborne band? It is a little concerning how many youth players actually pack in banding after being with Camborne Youth, not many seem to make it out into the wider banding community? Good on those that have managed to break out!!

Couldn't agree with you more Blower!!!!!!!

tubbytuba
21.03.2010, 20:46

Hmmm always looking for something controversial some people,yes Camborne Youths intent is as a feeder and as you seem to know a fair bit or think you do blower,take a good look at how many have either progressed to Camborne Town or depped for them,as for packing in,most have either yes given up and if you look at the age profile this is not unexpected,or gone onto college/uni/or work.Now for another point The real Camborne Band ???? take a good look at Cambornes web site,take a look at contest results and you will see bands in other formats have been at Camborne for a very long time.Next the point of break out HA HA weve got them breaking back in,a euph player travelling from Scotland,2nd euph from Exeter and many others that regularly come back to play/dep.I note you have been on the Mouthpiece for about the same time as myself 2003,do you come from Cornwall then???

Mesmerist
22.03.2010, 10:38
There were 72 Bands competing last weekend I believe? Not all were from Cornwall. There is civilised life (and Brass Bands) beyond those borders m`lovers/janners whatevers. Can we not all focus instead on producing one really good Band from the West of England? One that goes to the RAH with a real chance of a title not just aiming to reach the top 10...
There. Now I have probably upset everybody... which was not the intention. Squabbling about what goes on in one little Band is not doing this Area any favours is it?

ophicliede
22.03.2010, 11:12
Hey Tubbytuba,
I wouldn't give critics the time of day, any band that invests in the future by training young people has a far better dynamic within the organisation. Look at bands in the West of England and beyond,(Mount Charles, St Dennis, St Austell, Test Valley, Portishead, Wantage to name but a few) and how solid a foundation they have set for the future. Yes, there are lots that you loose to university and other distractions but that is par for the course and you have to keep that determination to keep the system of training a priority. Week in, week out, hours and hours of time, not a quick fix to go pot hunting. It is easy for some people to criticise, I'd like to see them make that type of commitment and effort. If you were not so successful then there would not be these comments. I had a couple of silly emails when I returned home from the regionals, I choose to treat them with the contempt they deserve.
Good luck!

Sop_Or_Bass?
22.03.2010, 18:02
Hey Tubbytuba,
I wouldn't give critics the time of day, any band that invests in the future by training young people has a far better dynamic within the organisation. Look at bands in the West of England and beyond,(Mount Charles, St Dennis, St Austell, Test Valley, Portishead, Wantage to name but a few) and how solid a foundation they have set for the future. Yes, there are lots that you loose to university and other distractions but that is par for the course and you have to keep that determination to keep the system of training a priority. Week in, week out, hours and hours of time, not a quick fix to go pot hunting. It is easy for some people to criticise, I'd like to see them make that type of commitment and effort. If you were not so successful then there would not be these comments. I had a couple of silly emails when I returned home from the regionals, I choose to treat them with the contempt they deserve.
Good luck!

I agree, we are hoping at Lydney to be able to come back as a contesting band in the next few years - 22 youngsters in the training band & growing :clap:.

A couple of guys from another band looked down at my 11 year old when we went back in the changing room after playing in the 3rd section at WoE, as if to say "if that's the competition..." - I'm very glad to have beaten them, I must say ;).

davidaus
22.03.2010, 20:10
I agree, we are hoping at Lydney to be able to come back as a contesting band in the next few years - 22 youngsters in the training band & growing :clap:.

A couple of guys from another band looked down at my 11 year old when we went back in the changing room after playing in the 3rd section at WoE, as if to say "if that's the competition..." - I'm very glad to have beaten them, I must say ;).

22 is very good Neil and I hope you get competing soon!

The more youngsters the better but competing needs to be a positive and enjoyable experience for them or when they get older they won't want to do it and even more bands will fold in the next 10 years.