PDA

View Full Version : Lydian Pictures

Wonky_Baton
28.02.2003, 13:42
Our secretary has just received an Errata sheet for Lydian Pictures. It is supposedly mainly dynamic markings. I said to the band that the markings were the weirdest I had come acoss. Hopefully this will be put right or there again it might solve a couple and the rest will be still weird. :roll:

If anyone has a errata sheet they can e-mail or if it is posted on the web please let me know. :?

BoozyBTrom
28.02.2003, 13:48
And heres me thinking you were the MASTER Of Wierd Alan

:P :P

Aidan
03.03.2003, 19:59
lydian pictures is harder than prague... nuff said

HBB
03.03.2003, 21:19

NAH , explain some more Aiden --------- ya can't just say that!

geordiecolin
05.03.2003, 02:03
Hey alan, is john myers still playing sop for you? if he is, could you hi to him from colin for me please? i went to school with him (we used to share trumpet lessons) and have lost touch recently. the last i heard he was playing in some cabaret band and singing westlife songs.

thanks

colin

ps, i too think the dynamic markings in lydian pictures are nonsense. we rang the publishers who asked the composer who replied "it is fairly obvious". to him maybe, but to everyone else??
:roll:

Matthew
05.03.2003, 02:24

Yikes.....it is?! :o How?!! :) <don't know Lydian Pictures, although I love the name...!>

Aidan
05.03.2003, 15:08

Yikes.....it is?! :o How?!! :) <don't know Lydian Pictures, although I love the name...!>

we recorded it for the areas cd.. and it is blatently harder than prague! technically, maybe not musically though!!
It was well good recording it.. cos everything was so secretive, we didnt know the name of the piece, or composer, or the names of movementsor anything!! just had a a sheet of sibelius music each!

BoozyBTrom
05.03.2003, 15:18
I know absolutely nothing about the piece. Never Heard it.
But I have to aggree with Matthew the name is great.

Matthew
05.03.2003, 15:44
we recorded it for the areas cd.. and it is blatently harder than prague! technically, maybe not musically though!!
It was well good recording it.. cos everything was so secretive, we didnt know the name of the piece, or composer, or the names of movementsor anything!! just had a a sheet of sibelius music each!

Wow, very undercover, it sounds like fun! :P I hope you got paid sessional rates too for that recording :) :) I look forward to hearing it.

hornblower
06.03.2003, 12:23
I really like the recording, it was a great help over christmas as I practiced my part with it! It's slower than the way our conductor is taking it though... guess it is a personal conductors opinion?

I think i'm fed up of hearing it at the moment though! :wink:

Wonky_Baton
06.03.2003, 19:13
I really like the recording, it was a great help over christmas as I practiced my part with it! It's slower than the way our conductor is taking it though... guess it is a personal conductors opinion?

It nothing to do with my opinion, I am just following the tempo markings on the score. The CD although quite well played, is pants as far as tempos go. They may have been missing the tempo markings as well as the title of the music etc and the conducor made their own up. It starts off like a funeral march when it should be a fanfare full of vigour. I only hope the adjudicator looks at the score and hasn't listened to the CD. :?

Going to see the Burton contest on Sunday with metronome in one hand and a pint in the other. Will be able to tell which bands know the score and which have listened to the CD!!! :roll:

sparkling_quavers
06.03.2003, 19:18

It nothing to do with my opinion, I am just following the tempo markings on the score. The CD although quite well played, is pants as far as tempos go. They may have been missing the tempo markings as well as the title of the music etc and the conducor made their own up. It starts off like a funeral march when it should be a fanfare full of vigour. I only hope the adjudicator looks at the score and hasn't listened to the CD. :?

Going to see the Burton contest on Sunday with metronome in one hand and a pint in the other. Will be able to tell which bands know the score and which have listened to the CD!!! :roll:

The band i am guesting with also take the first mvt faster than on the CD. I don't think you will be in the minority wonky!

Aidan
06.03.2003, 19:32
when we did the recording, we were told purposely to not do our own interpretation, to make sure we didnt influence other bands, to the tempos on the cd were exactley what was on the score at the time. I dont know if these have been changed or ammended since that time though...
I enjoyed playing the piece though

dave jake
06.03.2003, 22:01
[quote="geordiecolin"]Hey alan, is john myers still playing sop for you? if he is, could you hi to him from colin for me please? i went to school with him (we used to share trumpet lessons) and have lost touch recently. the last i heard he was playing in some cabaret band and singing westlife songs.

Yep Johns playing Sop at the areas,but hes doing some jazz gig in Wales the night before.Hope he gets back ok cos he s sounding gorgeous :roll:

Wonky_Baton
06.03.2003, 23:20
when we did the recording, we were told purposely to not do our own interpretation, to make sure we didnt influence other bands, to the tempos on the cd were exactley what was on the score at the time.

Every time a band plays a piece it is their interpretation, like it or not and no two bands will play exactly the same way. The CD's do influence some conductors, but only the ones that do not have strength in their own conviction. I prefer to make my own mind up and then listen to the CD, which means that my judgement isn't clouded before I start. The beginning is marked 108 - 112. I am taking it 112 which seems to be a fair lick compared to the CD but I do take the point the markings could have been changed before printing. A new band playing a new piece and having it recorded at the same time is a daunting prospect, even if it is 4th section standard. If the conductor hasn't had time to prepare properly it is a recipe for disaster. I listened to the first 2 movts but not the 3rd but the 1st definately seemed slow but I haven't put my metronome on it to see how slow. Never mind its the judge on the day and I am playing it my way, Manure or bust!!

Wonky_Baton
06.03.2003, 23:23
Hey alan, is john myers still playing sop for you?

Yeah he is. He also thinks he is the Dunston Elvis if you look at his pose on our members page. That showbiz for you!! :P

I'll pass your wishes on if I can get past the groupies 8)

Aidan
07.03.2003, 12:06
Every time a band plays a piece it is their interpretation, like it or not and no two bands will play exactly the same way!!

I meant that we were told to stick to the score as much as possible, and not deviate at all. Obviously it will be different to the next band...

Carina Halliwell
07.03.2003, 14:57
I really like Lydian Pictures! I played it at a rehersal with Pemberon B Band, and alot of the bits are technically harder than passacaglia, and its got cool flugel solo in the middle movement! Why is it that the lower sections nearly always get cool little test pieces for the areas??!! They seem to have had quite a few good ones - Haselmere Suite, Suite in Bb, Indian Summer - I think its about time the 1st and top section had some good test pieces. We should have had Resurgam for the 1st section this year - like at pontins!

satchmo shaz
07.03.2003, 15:00
yes the lower sections have been fortunate for a few years, with good choices of test pieces :)

HBB
08.03.2003, 13:17
I really like Lydian Pictures! I played it at a rehersal with Pemberon B Band, and alot of the bits are technically harder than passacaglia, and its got cool flugel solo in the middle movement! Why is it that the lower sections nearly always get cool little test pieces for the areas??!! They seem to have had quite a few good ones - Haselmere Suite, Suite in Bb, Indian Summer - I think its about time the 1st and top section had some good test pieces. We should have had Resurgam for the 1st section this year - like at pontins!

St. Austell Suite wasn't bad either (Im sooooo glad you didn't say Sinfonietta!!! :twisted: )

Soppy
08.03.2003, 18:37
We're playing it faster than the CD recording. Certainly the 3rd movement, that's flying along.

The dynamics aren't rubbish, they make perfect sense to us at least! We're playing them too.

I think what makes Lydian Pictures so hard is it is very exposed for quite a few instruments. Therefore, a lack of quality can really show (which is quite common in 4th section bands!).

If there is another Sop player here though, could they tell me how to get the triplets and top G's @ the very start of the piece in tune please? I just can't do it!!!

HBB
08.03.2003, 19:16
We're playing it faster than the CD recording. Certainly the 3rd movement, that's flying along.

The dynamics aren't rubbish, they make perfect sense to us at least! We're playing them too.

I think what makes Lydian Pictures so hard is it is very exposed for quite a few instruments. Therefore, a lack of quality can really show (which is quite common in 4th section bands!).

If there is another Sop player here though, could they tell me how to get the triplets and top G's @ the very start of the piece in tune please? I just can't do it!!!

Ok ..... 4 suggestions

1] Clench
2] Pray
3] Get someone else to play it
and
4] Practise hitting a G as soon as you get your instrument out of the case - thats what we are doing when we have to start on a top Bb!

Soppy
08.03.2003, 20:01
I do 1 and 2.

It wouldn't be my problem if I did 3 :D , and I'll practise 4. My G though is 'your' (I play Bb too) C. I do have a run up, but like I said I'm out of tune. Well, I think I'm out of tune, but as the 4 front row cornets aren't in tune with each other, it's hard to tell if it's me or them!!

Keep it up homocidalbennyboy, you've answered all of my posts so far!!! :shock: :D

Thanks

HBB
08.03.2003, 20:32
Well I like to conform to standards :P:P:P:P:P

Well don't you like the service :? <blows a rasberry!!> and its Ben, nice to meet ya :)

HBB
08.03.2003, 20:35
Its amazing the resemblence between :shock: and our solo horn player!!! :):):):D:D:D:D:D :shock:

Soppy
08.03.2003, 21:10
No, I do like the service, it's just 'unusual' to have someone reply to everything I say. Are you on here all of the time?

Thanks

:shock: is very much like our MD if we play well......!

HBB
09.03.2003, 00:04
Nah, i'm just the tMP stalker :D:D:D:D:D:D

Its a Saturday - and I have no where to go - I live about an hour from any of my friends - and i couldn't be ***** to do my homework - so I thought I'd post a lot on here - and I see you've bumped up ur message count from this morning! :P:P:P:P

TheMusicMan
09.03.2003, 16:02
Back on-topic please... :) it's not fair to the originator of the thread to take a subject so far away from the original intent...

Wonky_Baton
10.03.2003, 01:51
Thanks John, although Idont mind the banter heading away from the topic. I went down to the Midlands contest armed with score and metronome as promised. There were some excellent performances and I was especially impressed with Long Eatons euphonium - pure class. However there was only one band that I heard played all the tempos as the score was marked and that was Kirby someone. Most played the beginning a la CD at between 60 and 100 instead of 108-112. The only thing I can think of that spoiled the Kirby performence was a baritone player on second trombone and sitting between two trombones on a baritone. Blatent cheating in my book. Were they marked down because if this or because they played the correct temp and were penalised for it. Congratulainns to the winners and third placed band who I heard and put in good perfomences. The beer called and I missed the band placed second - Sorry!! :oops:

cornetgirl
10.03.2003, 02:01
Well, Wonky, I don't know....going to the bar when you should be listening to all those lovely bands!!!!

(I'd have done the same....I could never be an adjudicator, I'd get bored of the same piece over and over and over again!!!)

Sounds like a dodgy move putting a bari between two troms - did the bari emerge unscathed at the end of it all?? :wink:

Rach x

satchmo shaz
10.03.2003, 08:17
hello wonky baton! that euph player was my brother carl! thanks for that, we are sooo happy to qualify again, I heard that kirkby came 5th (not sure though!)

euphemism
10.03.2003, 09:49
Thanks for the comment .... always nice when someone appreciates your playing....Long Eaton were second - so you must have heard us...Phoenix are a class outfit tho and thoroughy deserved to win...
I nearly had a nightmare...accidentally got hit in the mouth 10 mins before we were due on stage - and at firsst couldn't play a note - but managed to get there - just about although I felt I made a few slips.... Dundee here we come

Thanks John, although Idont mind the banter heading away from the topic. I went down to the Midlands contest armed with score and metronome as promised. There were some excellent performances and I was especially impressed with Long Eatons euphonium - pure class. However there was only one band that I heard played all the tempos as the score was marked and that was Kirby someone. Most played the beginning a la CD at between 60 and 100 instead of 108-112. The only thing I can think of that spoiled the Kirby performence was a baritone player on second trombone and sitting between two trombones on a baritone. Blatent cheating in my book. Were they marked down because if this or because they played the correct temp and were penalised for it. Congratulainns to the winners and third placed band who I heard and put in good perfomences. The beer called and I missed the band placed second - Sorry!! :oops:

Heather
10.03.2003, 10:34
I heard Lydian Pictures yesterday at Blackpool for the first time. What a lovely piece of music!!!!
Luckily it was the winning bands performance. The middle movement is really beautiful.
Well done to Trinity Girls for their performance. It was a performance worthy of a much higher section.

satchmo shaz
10.03.2003, 11:06
welcome to Carl,(euphenism) to mouthpiece.com! the second Long Eaton member to join!

Aidan
10.03.2003, 15:50
4] Practise hitting a G as soon as you get your instrument out of the case - thats what we are doing when we have to start on a top Bb!

is that such a good idea without a warmup!?!

Keppler
10.03.2003, 15:56
I wouldn't have thought so..

Brings to mind the story of Clifford Brown and his students...

Just before a gig, Clifford had finished a session with his students on the importance of warming up, and not damaging the chops.. So he goes off to his dressing room, after inviting the students in for the show. As they're passing his dressing room door, they hear Clifford's first notes - starts on top C and goes up....
So they burst in his door, and say "Mr. Brown, Mr. Brown, have you been talking rubbish at us? How can we believe anything you say now? You told us to always warm up slowly, and start with the low notes... "

To which Clifford replies: "Those ARE my low notes.."

HBB
10.03.2003, 21:35

is that such a good idea without a warmup!?!

Ermm................ yea???:?:

Well, no, but you'll get a warmup on the day :P, and I should have said

4] Practise hitting a G as soon as you get your instrument out of the case AND THEN WARMED UP!! - thats what we are doing when we have to start on a top Bb

Pythagoras
11.03.2003, 01:04
Counts as a good test piece in my book. I was only completely sick of it for a couple of weeks before the Area, rather than the 2 months for St Austell, and don't even mention Land of the Mountain and the Flood...

Wonky_Baton
12.03.2003, 13:09
Well, Wonky, I don't know....going to the bar when you should be listening to all those lovely bands!!!!

(I'd have done the same....I could never be an adjudicator, I'd get bored of the same piece over and over and over again!!!)

Listening to bands is not a habit I am going to get into and I am not wearing an anorak just yet. Listened to more on Sunday than the last 5 years put together. Did learn a lot ready for our contest on Sunday though but. :)

Whatever pub I was in the Marstons Pedigree was the best pint I'd tasted for yonks and the locals were friendly. They even charged my phone behind the bar. The Midlands Hall having no bar was a bit of a shock meaning that all the bands players spread out all ove the place but I suppose tha audience was a little bigger for it. It reminded me of the old Bowburn contest 20 odd years ago. I must have travelled in Doctor Who's tardis!!:P