PDA

View Full Version : Bug's Corner

brassneck
19.09.2009, 00:20
Since I had to re-install Windows on Monday. things have went fairly okay and I thought I was still protected using AVG Pro Internet Security. Infections I have dealt with before and I expected a few as the updates came pouring in. However, something has hi-jacked Google and also disabled my ability to folder scan. Whenever I do a search in Google and click on the link, another search engine takes over (e.g., Shopado). I have installed another freebie anti-viral proggy (Avira) to try and hunt down the bug, but can anyone who has encountered this before help?

kp51
19.09.2009, 10:23
bleepingcomputer.com is a reliable and trustworthy source of advice on dealing with PC infections, though it is a bit of a maze. It led me to MalwareBytes Anti-Malware (http://www.malwarebytes.org/mbam.php), the free version of which I have used to rid several people's machines of nasty infections like this. You may need to rename the installer program before running it,as sometimes these invaders can block its installation.

Other good (and free) programs on this front are Lavasoft's Ad-Aware and Spybot Search and Destroy - beware similarly names imitations of the latter - there will be a reliable link on bleepingcomputer somewhere.

Make sure you know how to start your machine in Safe Mode, and run your sweeps using it as far as possible. And disable System Restore before removing infections (switch it back on later). Sometimes the nasties are still lurking in Sys Restore in places the removal tools cannot go.

Tally ho!

brassneck
19.09.2009, 17:53
I'm going to reformat and rebuild the OS from scratch. Several permissions and rights of access have been denied. Luckily, no financial details and passwords (for secure sites) are held on the PC. Apologies for any work I have promised to send out to banders. It will have to wait until I resume full control of my system.

Bass Trumpet
19.09.2009, 19:31
Did you go back to a restore point or start from scratch? Seems very odd to me - and I must have installed Windows 40+ times on various machines in the last few years.

I can't remember what flavour you have XP, Vista etc. but perhaps you could try restarting in safe mode, making the suitable changes, then rebooting in full. You also could try using a different browser, as it might also be the problem - IE is full of gremlins as we know. I've been on Google Chrome since it came out and use it for everything. Google, of course, is the default search engine in Chrome.

brassneck
19.09.2009, 20:34
It won't allow me to open in safe mode. I'm knackered. I can do some work before I obliterate the partition tomorrow. Some presets in my audio editor will be lost. Otherwise, I can slowly build my system again. The virus is one I recognise that slowly tries to gain control my altering the permissions in system32. The other antivirus system cannot be removed in any shape or form. I'll put it down to experience, lol!

Blow Hard
25.09.2009, 03:32
You are better off with a fresh install of the OS rather than trying to root out every trace of the little ******. Viruses can hide themselves all over your machine in multiple ways and you can never be sure they are totally gone or that all damage is repaired.

The real question is where did it come from and how can you insure it does not happen again. Are you hooked into a local network? Could another machine on your network reinfect your computer?

johnmartin
25.09.2009, 09:38
Tom, do the decent thing and buy a Mac. Heck they can even run Windaes nowadays.

brassneck
25.09.2009, 09:48
Tom, do the decent thing and buy a Mac. Heck they can even run Windaes nowadays.

John, I must admit Macs do look great these days. I'm still slowly re-building my platform after formatting the partition. Who knows, I might even back my basic system up once done (something I always promise to do but never have, lol!). Unbelievable size of updates for some utilities such as the Adobe ones though! :frown:

brassneck
25.09.2009, 09:51
The real question is where did it come from and how can you insure it does not happen again. Are you hooked into a local network? Could another machine on your network reinfect your computer?

The Million Dollar question. If I knew, then it would be avoided.