PDA

View Full Version : Theyer Valve Maintenance.

BoozyBTrom
26.02.2003, 13:59
I was having problems with one of the plugs on my trombone. It had become sluggish and very gritty in a very short period of time
And came across these useful instructions on the Edwards Site.

Thought I would Share them with you.

http://www.edwards-instruments.com/trombone/maintenance/

Bones
25.03.2003, 12:40
Hi Gareth,

How you getting on with the Edwards. OK I hope.

I found that regularly oiling the bearings and the spring of the rotor on my thayer valve kept it running well all the time.

See you soon.

Rich

neiltwist
25.03.2003, 16:36
I find the Haagmann valves are better, but i've not played the thayers very much.

BoozyBTrom
25.03.2003, 17:41
Difficult to compare the Two types of valve when you havent used them both for a similar amount of time

I Had a Rath and a really poor Soveriegn ( sudders at poor workmanship and horrid instrument ) both with haagmans and found them to be sluggish and unresposive, hard work to maintain and strip down. And also noticed if you leave them in a cold place ie boot of car the were impossible to get moving again. So i sent em back

Got a lend of the edwards from Richard and bought it.

Since cleaning out my Edwards the theyers havent even needed a drop of oil. Much more my style.

neiltwist
25.03.2003, 18:08
wasn't too keen on the rath that I tried, although it hadn't been blown in, but my sovereign (was yours laquer or plated? mines silver plated) is fine for me, although it's ****** hard work sometimes. I found the edwards made my sound a little too harsh. the worst part about the sovereign I find is that besson haven't addressed some of the issues that have already been ironed out in other manufacturers trombones, like the f on first trigger being flat when all slides are in all the way.

MoominDave
02.04.2003, 22:19
Was that a Rath R9? I found the same - tried one at Packer's in Taunton which blew with a monstrously beefy noise on the open tube but went into razz mode with either trigger down. All in all rather disappointing, and I certainly wasn't willing to pay the 3000 pound price tag... The Tenors should be better though by that logic.

Re types of valve, I've come to the conclusion that the difference in the sound as perceived by anyone else is negligible compared to the variability in lip input, particularly on the obese Bass Trom tube. For triggers on a narrower Tenor, a Thayer (or whichever) + open wrap would probably be much more helpful.

Dave