PDA

View Full Version : Emergency contact

mikelyons
06.09.2009, 20:47
Hi Guys - Mods in particular.

Is there some way one of the good citizens on here can get hold of one of you in an emergency - knowing that that person is instantly available?

I'm thinking of instances like the complete ****er who put up those foul photos JRStephen and his/her/its ilk. Something like that can get through, I know, but we need a sure-fire way of contacting someone who has the power to get rid of such drivel instantly.

I know we have the report a post button, but I'm not too sure how quick that is.

Just a thought - you can't be everywhere.

kp51
07.09.2009, 09:13
"I know we have the report a post button"
Haven't even found that one, myself, when I've spotted spam messages. Where is it?

Jan H
07.09.2009, 09:52
"I know we have the report a post button"
Haven't even found that one, myself, when I've spotted spam messages. Where is it?
on the left, it looks like a piece of paper with a pen or pencil over it

Jan H
07.09.2009, 10:03
About contacting us:

When you use the "report post" button, the mods get an automatic e-mail. Usualy these reported posts are taken care of fairly quickly, but there may be a couple of hours delay. Not everyone can check their e-mail at work, etc.

about contacting us: I'm not so sure. On the main forums page, there's a list of currently active users, but I know some of the mods are operating in "invisible mode", so you can't see them on that list. In he past, a lot of tMP people were on MSN messenger, but nowadays, nobody seems to use that any more, so I stopped using it too.

There is one more thing you should know: not all mods have access to all forums. for instance in this forum (computer corner), I canot delete or edit any posts. Only "supermoderators" and "administrators" can. So if a spam message is posted here, it could take a little longer for the post to be deleted (depending on which moderator is online when)

MRSH
07.09.2009, 22:45
There is one more thing you should know: not all mods have access to all forums. for instance in this forum (computer corner), I canot delete or edit any posts. Only "supermoderators" and "administrators" can. So if a spam message is posted here, it could take a little longer for the post to be deleted (depending on which moderator is online when)I have to say that is a little odd. Surely, a moderator of a forum site such as this should be able to moderate all areas - unless tMP has a particular reason for organising it that way - which, if you have you will probably tell me to mind my own business anyway.

But I do find it odd that moderators are restricted to particular areas!!! :confused:

kp51
08.09.2009, 10:00
It's normal practice in bulletin-board systems to have two or three people acting as moderators for individual forums. It divides up the work so they are better able to keep up with the topics they are interested in as individuals, assigns responsibility better, and reduces the chance of disagreement over what should and shouldn't be allowed. Surely you wouldn't want everyone to be the conductor when you're waving the stick, after all? :eek:

@JanH: thanks for the info on the Report Post image - after a lot of poking about I realized that it was only in Firefox that I wasn't seeing it (or the background image in the menu bar), and that I had set "block images" for this site (to get rid of pesky eBay ads, as far as I recall). In terms of usability, it would be more respectable to have a non-image-based link to the Report function. I would expect to find it in the Thread Tools, for instance.
:cool: KP

TheMusicMan
08.09.2009, 17:56
It's normal practice in bulletin-board systems to have two or three people acting as moderators for individual forums. It divides up the work so they are better able to keep up with the topics they are interested in as individuals, assigns responsibility better, and reduces the chance of disagreement over what should and shouldn't be allowed. Surely you wouldn't want everyone to be the conductor when you're waving the stick, after all? :eek:

Hiya KP - well, normal practice for us here on tMP is the way it's worked for us for 7 years :).

All mods have access to all areas - though I have some technical issues to sort, but essentially that's the way we work on here.

@JanH: thanks for the info on the Report Post image - after a lot of poking about I realized that it was only in Firefox that I wasn't seeing it (or the background image in the menu bar), and that I had set "block images" for this site (to get rid of pesky eBay ads, as far as I recall). In terms of usability, it would be more respectable to have a non-image-based link to the Report function. I would expect to find it in the Thread Tools, for instance.
:cool: KP

Never seen that on vB forums, and vB is the most popular commercial bulletin board application. OK if the thread itself is bad, but more often than not we need a 'report post' button. It's a good idea though, and I might look at adding a link on the thread tools menu - though that's a few clicks away from activating whereas the 'report post' icon is available in every post. When a user clicks on the 'report post' icon, [this one http://www.themouthpiece.com/vb/webchat/buttons/report.gif ] every mod is informed, and a new thread is created back-stage in the tMP team area that we can all see and respond to.

Independent Silver Band
08.09.2009, 19:18
It's funny this should be on here . We have another one with nude pictures on the random chat. It's called the sexual health hotline. This time I hit the marker to alert the moderators. I promise I am not the one putting these on. I believe this the fourth such alert I have made.

Bass Trumpet
08.09.2009, 19:23
I promise I am not the one putting these on.

Your secret is safe with us :biggrin: