PDA

View Full Version : Sibelius tips...

MrsDoyle
26.05.2009, 17:06
I thought it would be nice if we had a one stop shop as it were for Sibelius tips, as quite a lot of tMPers use it... here's mine - pretty basic but handy.

PASTE AS CUE

Select what you want to cue in for another instrument and press Ctrl-C.
Click where you want the cue to go.
Press Ctrl-Shift-Alt-V.
Right click on the bar and go to Hide, then Show in All.
Simples!

brass_master99
05.07.2009, 12:29
Does anyone know how to put drum cross noteheads in on Sibelius 4?

MrsDoyle
05.07.2009, 16:42
Yes. PM me and I'll explain.

Andrew Norman
05.07.2009, 17:09
Highlight the note then Ctrl/Alt/P and select the note head you require - I think that's still correct for Sib 4, I'm on Sib 6 now.

MrsDoyle
05.07.2009, 17:34
Yes, it's the Notes section of the properties panel. I don't know if the shortcut works in version 4 but the instructions do.

mikelyons
06.07.2009, 18:27
Sib 4 users may find it difficult to alter the ranges - sometimes set a bit too conservatively - of instruments. It is no longer in the properties panel, which was intuitive, but under House Style--> Edit Instruments, which is not quite so intuitive.

You need to find the instrument, like you would if you were adding it to a score and then choose edit instrument.
The resulting dialog lets you change the highest and lowest notes of the instrument range and do other spiffing things to the instrument before returning to your piece. Goodbye little red notes; Hello cornet pedal pedal pedal g :)

brassneck
06.07.2009, 20:57
Okay, here's one for Sib6 users ... the percussion rolls and instrumental tremeloes ARE too fast when played on this (on my demo) version. What can you do to control them without corrupting the notation?

mikelyons
08.07.2009, 20:59
What do you mean by corrupting? Leading it astray? :)

Have you tried

1. using a slower tremolo, hiding it and replacing it with a symbol?
2. Using hidden voices and silent note heads?

Put the tremolo note(s) in with voice 2 using a tremolo value that gives the right effect
Hide those notes and put silent notehead note(s) in voice 1, using the correct symbol.
It's not something I've had a play with yet, so I'm just spouting... (nothing new there, then.)

mikelyons
08.07.2009, 21:22
OK, Just had a little play with it.

The only tremolo I can't get to work is the 3-beam one. All the others seem fine
I managed to fudge it with a hidden trill on one note (but the trill wasn't even or consistent at the end of the bar.
Trills on percussion staves seem to behave differently than on other staves.

I think it's using the convention that three lines means "as fast as possible?" where tremolos are concerned. :dunno:

brassneck
08.07.2009, 21:30
I think it's using the convention that three lines means "as fast as possible?" where tremolos are concerned. :dunno:

It's a shame for tremolos (spelling mistake now corrected, btw!) as I always notate them with three beams. By my use of 'corruption', I meant the effect not sounding natural.

mikelyons
08.07.2009, 21:49
It's a shame for tremolos (spelling mistake now corrected, btw!) as I always notate them with three beams. By my use of 'corruption', I meant the effect not sounding natural.

I do believe either spelling is permissible, Tom - you'll notice I didn't point it out, though.

The choice to do that has made it very difficult to do measured tremolos after semiquavers. I did think there was a plug-in to sort it, but I don't know if it works with sib 6.

brassneck
08.07.2009, 22:03
I should have realised better ... for plurals that end 'os', they are mostly foreign words imperfectly naturalised.

Anyway, my gripe with Sib6 is regarding tremolos. It's difficult enough making brass band MIDI scores sound convincing to the unsuspecting ear with the lack of decent soundfonts, but this only makes it worse in my opinion. It looks like I will have to ask questions with the Sibelius development team.

mikelyons
09.07.2009, 07:28
Go to it! Let us know what happens.

brassneck
09.07.2009, 14:27
Go to it! Let us know what happens.

I gave the masking technique a shot and was fairly successful. I think percussion rolls sound more natural as triplets so I created a second voice subdividing according to the tempo and then hid it. With the original notation (i.e., semibreve with 3 beam tremolo) I copied & pasted to the same bar as cue and then deleted the original. I then changed the cue size to normal and it seems to work. It's a lot of effort though! I noticed that there is a Play On Pass (https://secure.sibelius.com/download/plugins/index.html?category=11&versionname=8) plugin that might help even further.

Thirteen Ball
09.07.2009, 14:36
Highlight the note then Ctrl/Alt/P and select the note head you require - I think that's still correct for Sib 4, I'm on Sib 6 now.

Or just highlight the note and press shift+alt+1

That works on every version i've used....

brassneck
09.07.2009, 16:02
I noticed that there is a Play On Pass (https://secure.sibelius.com/download/plugins/index.html?category=11&versionname=8) plugin that might help even further.

It works ... just create your choice of subdivision for the roll/tremolo as 2nd voice then hide. Filter voice 1 and run the plugin.

MRSH
09.07.2009, 18:24
I had issues with the playback of three line stem tremolos in percussion too.

The advice given in THIS (http://www.sibelius.com/cgi-bin/helpcenter/chat/chat.pl?com=thread&start=447234&groupid=3&words=&name=Matthew%20Hackett) thread on the Sibelius forum fixed it for me.

HTH

brassneck
09.07.2009, 18:49
I should have looked more carefully ... 1. Go to Play > Dictionary, choose the Articulations page, select '8 tremolos' in the list on the left-hand side, and change where it says 'Unmeasured' on the right to 'Subdivide'. Also, delete the text '+tremolo.unmeasured' from the Sound ID Change box on the right. Click OK.