PDA

View Full Version : 2009 RAH Test-Piece Announced

brassbandmaestro
30.04.2009, 11:19
The test piece for the 2009 National Championships of Great Britain have been announced on 4brarsrest.com. This is going to be a joint venture between kapitol UK and Federation of Australasian Brass Bands. This has been, sources from 4barsrest, an artistic collaboration between Professor David King and these two bbs organisations.

...and the composer is Peter Graham, in a tribute to Eric Ball, who died in 1989. PG says that Eric Ball is still considered to be one of the best composers.

The test piece is called: The Torchbearer, 'Symphonic Variations and Metarmorphosis on a theme of Eric Ball'

David Chaulk
30.04.2009, 11:35
Can't wait to play it:D

brassbandmaestro
30.04.2009, 11:40
I was just thinking the other day, that it's about time that Peter Graham be given another commison from Kapitol UK.

Thirteen Ball
30.04.2009, 13:07
The cynic in me was fully expecitng it to be Variations on a theme of Gilbert Vinter - and I doubt I'm alone in that!

Always good to see a new commission though. Peter Graham is one of my favourite writers, and the combination created by his interpretation on Eric Ball should be a cracker.

Hopefully, I'll be able to attend the RAH this year. Looking forward to it even more now.... :D

sandy
30.04.2009, 19:50
Now that the championship section test piece has been announced for the national finals
does any one know when the lower section test pieces will be also be announced?
thank you

ian perks
30.04.2009, 20:13
Now that the championship section test piece has been announced for the national finals
does any one know when the lower section test pieces will be also be announced?
thank you
June/July

PSB Tom
02.05.2009, 12:28
Madness that the lower section finals pieces are announced so late, it gives bands only 2/3 months to work on the piece with a possible summer break in-between!

Does anyone know if there will be a recording of 'The Torchbearer: Symphonic Variations and Metarmorphosis on a theme of Eric Ball' released prior to the RAH?

Thirteen Ball
02.05.2009, 13:52
If they do the same as they did with "battle creek" there won't be a recording until after the contest - which does help to remove any preconceptions on interpretation.

tubalation
04.05.2009, 22:45
Eric Ball's original March: Torchbearers can be heard at http://www.regalzonophone.com/EP's%20&%20LP's%20-%20KRCSLP1307%20-%20Eric%20Ball%20-%20The%20Composer%20Conducts%20(1971).htm with the composer conducting.

Plenty of cornet fanfare motifs for Mr Graham to explore...

brassbandmaestro
05.05.2009, 12:06
It's quite a good march, if I remember rightly. Is that the one on Dyke's EB tribute cd? Cant teremember off hand.

jrshimmon
05.05.2009, 15:56
It's quite a good march, if I remember rightly. Is that the one on Dyke's EB tribute cd? Cant teremember off hand.

Not Quite, you are thinking of Torch Of Freedom I think. The Torchbearers was a march written during his time in the SA for the Annual sessional commissioning of new officers some time during the 40's I think. Each year the Session would be given a name that year it was the Torchbearers and there is a song to the tune I think as well. They only get a song these days. But there are quite a few SA marches written for the same reason.

Both Torch of Freedom and Torchbearers were played by Black Dyke and ISB at there tribute concert in Nottingham. Torch of Freedom does nod at Torchbearers a little.

I am keen to hear this piece as I am interested to see how he will treat the melody from the march and how much of the March will remain intact within the piece. PG wrote a piece some years ago for the New York Staff band called Wonderful town where whole sections of several SA marches appear interwoven with famous American/Broadway songs. So I am interested to see what he has in mind. Plus its not the first time EB's music has had this type of treatment so I want to see how it compares with Born to Battle (Brenton Broadstock) and Pilgrims Progess (Rodney Newton).

Carina Halliwell
14.05.2009, 13:18
Hi

Does anybody know when and where the test piece will be available for bands to buy? As our 1st time in the championship section finals, as a band we are keen to get cracking!

Stephen Bourne
20.05.2009, 10:42
'The Torchbearer', which will published by Gramercy Music, will only be available to bands competing in the British 'National' from the dealers listed below.
Band Supplies
7 Hunslet Road
Leeds LS10 1JQ
Tel: 0113 245 3097
Just Music
246 Auldhouse Road
Auldhouse
East Kilbride G75 9DX
Tel: 01355 245674
Kirklees Music
609 Bradford Road
Bailiff Bridge
Brighouse HD6 4DN
Tel: 01484 722855
Trevada Music
9 Chapel Street
Camborne
Cornwall TR14 8EF
Tel: 01209 711191

brassbandmaestro
20.05.2009, 10:47
That sounds a bit daft, 'only available to competing bands'. Surely that's wrong?

Stephen Bourne
20.05.2009, 10:52
ALthough it sounds strange, that is what it says on the website of Kapitol Promotions. It won't be out until July.

There are a number of things that I think Kapitol Promotions could do with some advice on. This sort of thing is only the tip of the iceberg.

http://www.nationalbrassbandchampionships.com/index.php?id=3&newsID=119

brassbandmaestro
20.05.2009, 10:58
Rather narrow minded, really. I am surprised, rather narrow minded.

Stephen Bourne
20.05.2009, 11:10
Narrow minded and short-sighted. No commercial nouse at all.

HBB
20.05.2009, 11:16
They paid rather a large amount of money for it (I would imagine), therefore they can choose who plays it and when. Don't worry, I'm sure you can buy it after it's been premiered. ;)

brassbandmaestro
20.05.2009, 11:17
I havn't been to the London Finals for over a decade now, for one reason or another, do they sell scores on the day still?

Stephen Bourne
20.05.2009, 11:23
Short scores for a tenner last year.
Last year was the first time I had been for some 25 years. I couldn't believe how easy to get tickets it was. The place was only half full even for the most popular bands. The bars were empty because instead of having draft beer and food there is expensive bottled beer so everyone was round the corner at the pub or Imperial College bar. The results were given to a half empty hall too. I had a great day out but was left with the feeling that this event is poorly promoted and that major opportunities went by. I have worked in marketing for some years and I believe even my gap year student would be able to get more bums on seats.

brassbandmaestro
20.05.2009, 11:30
I think the ;ast time I went was back in '97, and even then there were quite a few people ion the hall watchin g the bands, even the popular ones, the hall was 3/4s full If people decide to attend an event, then surely, they would want to listen to a fare number of bands, beofre hitting the bar? People seem to be thefree, but just go to the nearby bars or pubs, instead. Doesn't make sense.

Bayerd
20.05.2009, 11:39

As opposed to putting it on general sale and find a band not competing at the finals gives a UK premiere at a concert before the finals...

Stephen Bourne
20.05.2009, 11:53
I can see what you mean. Aas a closely gaurded secret I can agree, Another option would be to premiere it when the music is launched and launch a recording at the same time? This would at least potentially be commercially better? It could be used to better advertise theevent too. Just look at how few people were in the hall to hear Grimethorpe play at number one last year. Is that is a good premiere? I am not sure. Waht do you think?

KMJ Recordings
20.05.2009, 12:11
As opposed to putting it on general sale and find a band not competing at the finals gives a UK premiere at a concert before the finals...

Now bands just rely on 'Open Rehearsals' to do the same thing :rolleyes:

At one point they were also contractually banned so the first time a piece was ever heard in public was on the day of the contest.

KMJ Recordings
20.05.2009, 12:14
Another option would be to premiere it when the music is launched

The point is it's commissioned for the contest

launch a recording at the same time? This would at least potentially be commercially better?

Doesn't really make that much difference....people will buy it as and when it comes out if it interests them.

It could be used to better advertise theevent too. Just look at how few people were in the hall to hear Grimethorpe play at number one last year. Is that is a good premiere? I am not sure. Waht do you think?

It's a closed market - this debate has been circular for a while. The people who would potentially attend the contest already know about it.

KMJ Recordings
20.05.2009, 12:16
I think the ;ast time I went was back in '97, and even then there were quite a few people ion the hall watchin g the bands, even the popular ones, the hall was 3/4s full If people decide to attend an event, then surely, they would want to listen to a fare number of bands, beofre hitting the bar? People seem to be thefree, but just go to the nearby bars or pubs, instead. Doesn't make sense.

Why?

Lots of people I know go more for the social aspect of banding - at every level. Sitting through more performances of a piece you've been flogging for weeks is the last thing some people want.....

.....I used to do it, mind :D.....

brassbandmaestro
20.05.2009, 12:26
What, I meant to say, Keith, was the banding people who havn't been sloging there guts out for the past umpteen weeks. Yes, I know it's a greeat social occIaison. Next time I see you at a contest, i'll buy you a pnt!

KMJ Recordings
20.05.2009, 12:35
What, I meant to say, Keith, was the banding people who havn't been sloging there guts out for the past umpteen weeks. Yes, I know it's a greeat social occIaison. Next time I see you at a contest, i'll buy you a pnt!

I'm counting them as going to see their mates ;)

I'll take you up on that.....

brassbandmaestro
20.05.2009, 12:37
I'm counting them as going to see their mates ;)

I'll take you up on that.....

I hope to come up this year!

marksmith
20.05.2009, 13:55
The test piece for the 2009 National Championships of Great Britain have been announced on 4brarsrest.com. This is going to be a joint venture between kapitol UK and Federation of Australasian Brass Bands. This has been, sources from 4barsrest, an artistic collaboration between Professor David King and these two bbs organisations.

...and the composer is Peter Graham, in a tribute to Eric Ball, who died in 1989. PG says that Eric Ball is still considered to be one of the best composers.

The test piece is called: The Torchbearer, 'Symphonic Variations and Metarmorphosis on a theme of Eric Ball'

This would link nicely into th 'Ball Vs Vinter' thread. Looks like Ball's influence has been more far-reaching! I look forward to hearing this piece.

Bayerd
20.05.2009, 14:07
I can see what you mean. Aas a closely gaurded secret I can agree, Another option would be to premiere it when the music is launched and launch a recording at the same time? This would at least potentially be commercially better? It could be used to better advertise theevent too. Just look at how few people were in the hall to hear Grimethorpe play at number one last year. Is that is a good premiere? I am not sure. Waht do you think?

I think that some people that go to the Nationals may view it as a day to hear a variety of interpretations that aren't in anyway coloured by history and enjoy how differing interpretations show new elements to the music throughout the day. I also think it's possible that PG might have asked for exclusivity as part of the commission.

I really don't think that issuing a recording before hand will swell the numbers any, in fact it might do the opposite.

Now bands just rely on 'Open Rehearsals' to do the same thing :rolleyes:

At one point they were also contractually banned so the first time a piece was ever heard in public was on the day of the contest.

As I wrote the previous reply I should have added (with the exception of open rehearsals..).

brassneck
20.05.2009, 19:51
Something's bugging me about this ... someone wrote a collage of Eric Ball's music a few years back. It included quite a few famous quotes from his works. Was it Peter Graham by any chance?

Bayerd
20.05.2009, 20:32
Something's bugging me about this ... someone wrote a collage of Eric Ball's music a few years back. It included quite a few famous quotes from his works. Was it Peter Graham by any chance?

Not sure, but I think he did a setting of Crimond with elements of Resurgam in it.

brassneck
20.05.2009, 20:35
Not sure, but I think he did a setting of Crimond with elements of Resurgam in it.

It was a larger work that I was thinking of. I remember hearing part of it on the radio, but didn't like it much.

brassbandmaestro
20.05.2009, 22:08
Yes, your right, brassneck. i was at the premiere at RAH! It included quite a number of extracts of test pieces by EB. I thought it was a rather mice nostaglic composition and I believe PG composed it too. Cant remember which band or conductor, though. Or the title!! But I remember the piece and the occaision. Probably (circa), when Williams Fairey won the National, with Derek Bourgeois's The Devil & the Deep Blue Sea.

brassneck
20.05.2009, 22:28
Yes, your right, brassneck. i was at the premiere at RAH! ...

- about 1993ish then! What I heard of the piece was quite inventive but I remember the ending sounding weak and maybe written and completed in a hurry! I wonder if it's the same one revamped for this year's RAH?

brassbandmaestro
21.05.2009, 10:30
- about 1993ish then! What I heard of the piece was quite inventive but I remember the ending sounding weak and maybe written and completed in a hurry! I wonder if it's the same one revamped for this year's RAH?

it will be i nteresting to see the score, I would think. Hopefully if my memory jogs a bit. may produce something!

Thirteen Ball
21.05.2009, 14:12
...I think he did a setting of Crimond with elements of Resurgam in it.

I remember playing that. It was really good for the most part. Possibly tried to be a little too clever in some places, but then I suppose PG is a very clever man so can be forgiven for that.

Good one to roll out on a concert program. Not 'yer typical hymn' if you know what I mean. Couldn't actually remember who's arrangement it was, until I read that. Thanks for reminding me.

brassbandmaestro
21.05.2009, 14:18
Black Dyke have recorded it on their first Peter Graham cd on Doyen.

snazzy_cornet_sound
11.08.2009, 14:43
We had a look at Torchbearers in practice, very demmanding for Principal Euph and Cornet, a super piece though, will be a real audience pleaser i think!

agentorange
11.08.2009, 16:51
We had a look at Torchbearers in practice, very demmanding for Principal Euph and Cornet, a super piece though, will be a real audience pleaser i think!

Totally agree, plenty to keep me 'entertained' for the next few weeks anyway!!

I've never heard the Torchbearers march, but having blown through the test piece a couple of times it seems there are lots of references to quite a few of the composers other major works. Journey into Freedom, Resurgum, the Wayfairer, Kensington Concerto, High Peak are what i've identified - so far!

Really looking forward rehearsing this one, and to playing it on the day. It's a cracker!

JesTperfect!
11.08.2009, 23:38
It's a cracker!

It sure is!

brassneck
11.08.2009, 23:59
It sure is!

So, guide us through the piece ... what's he used from Ball's works? :confused:

Simon Preshom
12.08.2009, 11:01

You have been very quick to judge here - with little or no information.

The people who have commissioned this piece are making sure that the music they have paid for is kept for their event, INITIALLY. If you had invested money and time into the project, I suspect you would be a little hacked off if someone was playing it in a concert a few weeks before.

I could be wrong, but don't the competing bands have to sign an agreement saying that they will not publicly perform the piece before the day? I am sure that the piece will be made available afterwards by Gramercy Music, in the same way that PG's other specially commissioned contest works have been.

So many people in banding quick to judge with little or no knowledge of the situation.....

Simon Preshom
12.08.2009, 11:07
Short scores for a tenner last year.
Last year was the first time I had been for some 25 years. I couldn't believe how easy to get tickets it was. The place was only half full even for the most popular bands. The bars were empty because instead of having draft beer and food there is expensive bottled beer so everyone was round the corner at the pub or Imperial College bar. The results were given to a half empty hall too. I had a great day out but was left with the feeling that this event is poorly promoted and that major opportunities went by. I have worked in marketing for some years and I believe even my gap year student would be able to get more bums on seats.

Sorry Stephen, I missed this one.

So, with all your experience, how would you propose to the fill the RAH on contest day? Give me some specifics.

Anglo Music Press
14.08.2009, 12:18
ALthough it sounds strange, that is what it says on the website of Kapitol Promotions. It won't be out until July.

There are a number of things that I think Kapitol Promotions could do with some advice on. This sort of thing is only the tip of the iceberg.

http://www.nationalbrassbandchampionships.com/index.php?id=3&newsID=119

But it has ALWAYS been the case that the RAH piece is only available to competing bands till after the contest - since about 1795 I think!! Nothing to do with Kapitol at all. Also true of the Open and European when a new piece is commissioned.

If you were to commission a new piece for your contest, how would you like someone to play it at another contest first?

JesTperfect!
14.08.2009, 17:24
So, guide us through the piece ... what's he used from Ball's works? :confused:

I wish I could tell you. Ask me in 4 years when I've finished my musical education (well, when I've been to uni - I'm not planning on giving up learning about music ever) and I may be able to give you a useful answer.

As it stands, I don't know enough about Mr Ball's music to be able to to say :oops:

The piece is undoubtedly Peter Graham though.

Beautiful in places, stunning in others.

And a 'right good tune' to quote my northern pals!

If you were to commission a new piece for your contest, how would you like someone to play it at another contest first?

Good point well made!

brassneck
14.08.2009, 19:21
But it has ALWAYS been the case that the RAH piece is only available to competing bands till after the contest - since about 1795 I think!!

This must have been the golden era Ian Perks was on about! :rolleyes: Anyway, what's your views about the open rehearsals bands have, that feature their efforts on the test before competing?

KMJ Recordings
14.08.2009, 20:00

Plagiarism! :wink:

brassbandmaestro
14.08.2009, 20:11

Indeed, Kieth. Mr Sparke is right though. I certainly wouldn't like the idea of another contest band, playing the piece beofrehand!1 no way!

Bayerd
15.08.2009, 00:54

I'm flattered!....

eupho al
19.08.2009, 22:50
Can't wait to play it:D

Ran through it last night in band .

The euph part is hard . Bottom D ,2 beats rest , Top Eb lunga pause . Plenty of Top D's and Db's.

Picked out lots of Eric Ball bits ( kensington , Journey into freedom , resurgam , tournament,to name but a few).

Overall it sounds quite "Listenable"

Our trom wasn't there last night so i don't know what that part is like sorry.

Looking forward to working on it proper.

Daniel Sheard
20.08.2009, 10:39
Our trom wasn't there last night so i don't know what that part is like sorry.

Looking forward to working on it proper.

Sorry!

Bits remind me of The Wayfarer too.

Masterblaster jnr
21.08.2009, 00:17
Yeah, bar 35 i think is the wayfarer. The end is pretty much Journey into Freedom with some bits of High Peak and Resurgam dotted around. Audience pleaser definitely, but having seen the second trombone part, maybe not a band pleaser. will be nice to listen to though while i'm playing my minims..................:P

Daniel Sheard
21.08.2009, 09:21
I haven't seen the 2nd trb part yet. What's wrong with it?

JesTperfect!
21.08.2009, 10:16
Yeah, bar 35 i think is the wayfarer. The end is pretty much Journey into Freedom with some bits of High Peak and Resurgam dotted around. Audience pleaser definitely, but having seen the second trombone part, maybe not a band pleaser. will be nice to listen to though while i'm playing my minims..................:P

Minims?

I do believe the horns have a lot more than just minims, Jonny!

I'm ok though, there's not an awful lot to worry about in the second cornet part - I'm going to have a nice, stress-free Albert Hall experience :D

We've even got the melody in a couple of places.....shock, horror!

Masterblaster jnr
25.08.2009, 11:01
I haven't seen the 2nd trb part yet. What's wrong with it?

I think the fastest note value is a quaver! :p - one of our back row thought the part looked like a 3rd section standard piece. (with no offence intended to 3rd section bands)

goldensound
16.09.2009, 11:17
you might want to take it up!

mxb59307
21.09.2009, 15:59
Anyone know what time the first band is on at the RAH?

agentorange
22.09.2009, 15:02
Totally agree, plenty to keep me 'entertained' for the next few weeks anyway!!

I've never heard the Torchbearers march, but having blown through the test piece a couple of times it seems there are lots of references to quite a few of the composers other major works. Journey into Freedom, Resurgum, the Wayfairer, Kensington Concerto, High Peak are what i've identified - so far!

Really looking forward rehearsing this one, and to playing it on the day. It's a cracker!

......and Tournament for Brass is in there too.

eupho al
15.10.2009, 13:09
But it has ALWAYS been the case that the RAH piece is only available to competing bands till after the contest - since about 1795 I think!! Nothing to do with Kapitol at all. Also true of the Open and European when a new piece is commissioned.

Can you help me clear something up.
I know that you can perform the piece at open rehearsals but are you allowed to play it in a concert to the paying public before RAH?.

brassbandmaestro
15.10.2009, 16:26
With what's been said before, i wouldn't have thought so.

critic
15.10.2009, 16:57

ANY ONE WONDERING about going to the final i would say go its a great piece to listen to and a real test. The first twenty bars will sort them out

sudcornet
16.10.2009, 17:13
There'll be some seriously nipped up bums on sop players!!

ian perks
16.10.2009, 17:55
I've heard 2 of the bands this week who are at the National Final and they are both playing it very well.
The Torchbearer is going to be a classic of test pieces for both bands and audience.
Looking forward to hearing ALL 20 performances!!! on Saturday

Mr_Euniverse
17.10.2009, 19:46
Results:

1. Black Dyke, Dr. Nicholas Childs, 5
2. Fodens, Garry Cutt, 9
3. Cory, Dr. Robert Childs, 6
4. Rothwell Temperance, David Roberts, 19
5. Reg Vardy, Stephen Roberts, 3
6. Carlton Main Frickley Colliery, Russell Gray, 11
7. Flowers, Paul Holland, 14
8. Camborne Town, Richard Evans, 12
9. Co-operative Funeralcare, Michael Fowles, 1
10. Newstead Brass, Duncan Beckley, 20
11. Fairey, Philip Chalk, 13
12. Zone One, Richard Ward, 18
13. Hepworth (Cookson Homes), Frank Renton, 10
14. Tredegar, Ian Porthouse, 17
15. Redbridge Brass, Jeremy Wise, 4
16. Desford Colliery, James Gourlay, 7
17. Kirkintilloch, Selmer Simonsen, 8
18. Northop, Thomas Wyss, 2
19. Pemberton Old Wigan DW, Mark Bentham, 16
20. East Yorkshire Motor Services, Jason Katsikaris, 15

Best instrumentalist:
Glyn Williams, Foden's

(Courtesy of 4barsrest.com)

Edit: Please give credit when copying details from other sites

brassbandmaestro
17.10.2009, 19:50
Hurrah for Dyke!! I don't care for all the conspiriacy theorires that be thrashed around as to Dyke's victory today. The best band won, and that's it!!

the shed builder
17.10.2009, 20:03
Hurrah for Dyke!! I don't care for all the conspiriacy theorires that be thrashed around as to Dyke's victory today. The best band won, and that's it!!
Agreed, many congratulations to black dyke and dr. nick!