PDA

View Full Version : National Championships Qualifiers - Second Section

Di
22.03.2009, 19:11
http://www.themouthpiece.com/images/2009finalssecond.jpg

Results courtesy www.4barsrest.com

Valvecap
22.03.2009, 20:27
Brilliant! Great line up - looking forward to it already! Congratulations to all who have made it! See you in Harrogate!

dyl
22.03.2009, 22:32
Brilliant! Great line up - looking forward to it already! Congratulations to all who have made it! See you in Harrogate!

Ditto! :clap:

The-Wee-Timpanist
22.03.2009, 23:19
2nd year in a row for us. Looking forward to another weekend down there and meeting yet more tMPers :)

tubbytuba
22.03.2009, 23:24
Had the pleasure of meeting Messmerist and her band at Torquay and look forward to meeting more of you at Harrogate!!! Its our second trip in 3years and really enjoyed it last time It really will be some contest by look of the line up

Mesmerist
24.03.2009, 00:22
At least 6 of these bands were in last years 3rd section National Finals so there must be some hard work going on around the country. Well done everyone. How many of us are heading for the 1st section next year? (Love it! - the music gets better)

The-Wee-Timpanist
26.05.2009, 00:13
Any rumours yet?

Mesmerist
26.05.2009, 18:15
Lots of rumours!!!! I`m thinking a piece similar to last years 3rd section Nationals perhaps? A bit jolly and folksy and fast with a lament in the middle and a faster movement at the end. Same era as the Areas piece this year and away from the older type of Eric Ball pieces? Who knows? But its ABOUT TIME we did!!!! Nearly June and the piece not even ordered yet.

Valvecap
26.05.2009, 18:42
Agree entirely mesmarist... they need to get their fingers out and tell us! The suspense is killin me!

tubbytuba
26.05.2009, 19:07
Alan Pope our M.D was speaking to Richard Evans and he was under the impression the test piece was being released during last weekend so it must be any day now. It states on Kapitols web site that they will be giving the info 1st so keep an eye on that one. I think it could be a real difficult one this year though!!!!

Mesmerist
26.05.2009, 19:17
Was it the 2nd week in June that we heard last year?

My MD suggests that it would be a good idea to receive the relevant Test Piece in the post direct from Kapitol when they confirm it all at the end of May to the Contest Secretarys. The cost could be covered as part of the entry fee or added to it.

Mesmerist
27.05.2009, 12:00
Just looked back to last years Nationals and we all found out on the 4th of June. So next thursday then?

Mesmerist
27.05.2009, 12:02
Alan Pope our M.D was speaking to Richard Evans and he was under the impression the test piece was being released during last weekend so it must be any day now. It states on Kapitols web site that they will be giving the info 1st so keep an eye on that one. I think it could be a real difficult one this year though!!!!

Does that last remark mean you already know then? Or at least the Composer? And if it IS the piece I think it maybe then I reckon you are right...:biggrin:

tubbytuba
27.05.2009, 18:02
Does that last remark mean you already know then? Or at least the Composer? And if it IS the piece I think it maybe then I reckon you are right...:biggrin:

Hello Mesmerist sorry havnt got a clue on this one our M.D is in Corfu at the mo,before he went we had a chat and he did say that he didnt have enough cheek to ask lol. Looking at previous pieces and the comments made reference recent choices i think its got to be stinker lol

tubbytuba
01.06.2009, 22:07
So after all the waiting!!!! Its A Scots Miscellany by Alan Fernie with three movements each with some strange names!! The Smiling School for Calvanists which is the first movement,the second is titled Regards to G.Robin Henderson Esquire of Caithness which is based on the hymn tune St Anne and the final movement is entitled John Whytes Reel

The-Wee-Timpanist
01.06.2009, 22:38
Hmmm... is my initial thought!

tubbytuba
01.06.2009, 22:49
Take a look at www.nationalbrassbandchampionships.com for more info Ta tubbytuba

Mesmerist
01.06.2009, 23:57
So what is it like? Are there any recordings of it and have any of you seen the score yet?

Valvecap
07.06.2009, 13:53
Not seen a score yet - have it on order through Band Supplies- anyone else recieved their copy yet?

tubbytuba
07.06.2009, 17:26
I reckon its going to be heavy going for my section (basses) reading the write up on the national brassband web site it just gives me that impression lol

Mesmerist
08.06.2009, 10:38
Hopefully we get to take at look through it tonight if it has arrived in time. Its our MD`s last rehearsal for 5 weeks so he wants to see it before he goes away.

Mesmerist
11.06.2009, 22:32
Well it didn`t arrive in time but I have the score now and a quick flick through looks like no one has any major solo stuff - just odd few bars here and there for everybody including the glock. And flugel part is either a 4th horn or a 4th cornet. Never seen so many long long semibreves on low C apart from a warm up. Not that I am complaining. Much. Sigh. Never mind. I`m sure we will spend many happy hours on it...

ps tubby I reckon you KNEW what piece it was as the basses and bass trombone do indeed look busy.

pps hope you all have mutes ready everybody

euphymike
15.06.2009, 09:53
We played through it last week at rehearsals. Interesting???? Not as technically challenging as New world sketches from the areas or a big blow with Crusades from Skegness. So its all down to interpretation and figuring out what the man in the tent is looking for?
Yep. I feel many a hour spent with a bar by bar look at this one!!!!!
good luck to all with it!

tubbytuba
15.06.2009, 17:02
I think we are going to take a look at it tonight!!! I did see the Euph part and blimey that last movement is going to motor i think. Hey Messi honest i didnt know but reading the write up gave me some clues,also as the test pieces get harder the basses do normally work much harder lol,lots of sweat and swearing!!!

Mesmerist
20.06.2009, 17:29
Mr Sykes came in on thursday and we had our very first rehearsal on the piece. He said that we would find this easy compared to last years 3rd section final (Suite for Brass) and so it would seem. No doubt it will be like Dark Side of the Moon which got progressively harder the more we worked on it. 2nd Movement is nice would you all agree? I will admit to being slightly disappointed that it is not more technical but there is a lot of interpretation and style to get right and you can all jeer if we come last after I said its too easy.

The-Wee-Timpanist
20.06.2009, 20:34
:tup 2nd movement is lovely! Not sure about the 3rd movement, I find it hard to listen to from where I sit so perhaps its different for the man in the middle. It has one of those endings that you don't expect, you think it's going to go on for a bit more.

dyl
20.06.2009, 20:46
2nd Movement is nice would you all agree?
Aye, some nice stuff in there. We've only had a couple of run-throughs so far, and that'll probably be it for the next month or so as we have another contest to prepare for, but first impressions on the 2 outer movements are that I hope they're gonna grow on me! ;)

tubbytuba
20.06.2009, 22:28
Thought we were going to give it ago in the week but forgot it was Bugle build up and a super result again for Camborne Youth(winners by 2 clear points in the youth section) Anyway its on for tmmrw and armed with my new tuba i cant wait lol!!!

euphymike
22.06.2009, 10:54
Another run through over last thursday and all of a sudden it just got harder. Lots of little things going on around me!
Plenty of time to September to get it into your head and your interpretation together in the dark, misterious world of the rehearsal room!

Mesmerist
22.06.2009, 18:18
Our MD is away until mid July so we have divided our time. Mondays is concert stuff with Col Chris Davis and every other thursday will be Test Piece with Mr Steve Sykes. Not sure who is guesting this thursday but it won`t be a contest rehearsal til Steve or David take us. Quite glad really as technically we have cracked it Ha ha ha ha...famous last words and all that! Like euphymike I think this is going to get harder the more we delve into it.

tubbytuba
22.06.2009, 22:34
Played through it tonight,or should i say tried to sight read through it lol.Well this going to be real hard work,its full of nice bits and pieces. The second movement is a real cracker but again as a bass player its going to be hard going.Dave Childs is down with us shortly and we will work hard at it then

euphymike
23.06.2009, 09:06
After our second read through I was of the conclusion that the correct notes were not going to be a problem here and also placing them in the correct location. Unlike New World sketches! However, the interpretation here is what will sort us out!
We all go to the pub after the rehearsal. maybe this one requires some alternative thinking. so down to the pub first and then get into the music! Good luck with it anyway there is bags of thursday between now and September!

flug_gal
26.06.2009, 14:16
I was expecting something a little more challenging personally, I think the third section have have a rougher ride than us!
But I quite like it, especially the second movement, I think the chord structures are 'borrowed' from somewhere but I can't put my finger on it. Saying that, the flugel solo bit at the start is going to be a pain to play in tune, the notes don't seem to 'follow' if you catch my drift.
Overall though, I like it, though I may have changed my mind by September, and dependant on how fast we take that last movement!
On a slightly different note, has anyone read the notes that come with the score? They're fantastic!

Janet Watkins
03.07.2009, 15:14
Do any of the second section qualifiers have any idea how long it takes to play the piece?

I shall be playing with a 4th section band later in the day and we are trying to judge whether it will be an early or late start to the section.

Many thanks

Mesmerist
05.07.2009, 09:34
Hi Janet - I don`t know exactly how long the piece takes but according to the score the 1st movement is 86 bars long at a speed of 96-100 crotchets (with a little andante passage of 8 bars in middle ) This links straight into 2nd - 72 bars at 64 crotchets (give or take a couple of rits) linked straight into 3rd movement which is a quickish 132 minims.
Probably much more information than you needed! So its on the short side if that helps.

tubbytuba
05.07.2009, 13:48
Im sure we timed a blow through at just over the 10 mins mark

Janet Watkins
05.07.2009, 15:39
Hi Janet - I don`t know exactly how long the piece takes but according to the score the 1st movement is 86 bars long at a speed of 96-100 crotchets (with a little andante passage of 8 bars in middle ) This links straight into 2nd - 72 bars at 64 crotchets (give or take a couple of rits) linked straight into 3rd movement which is a quickish 132 minims.
Probably much more information than you needed! So its on the short side if that helps.

Im sure we timed a blow through at just over the 10 mins mark

Many thanks!

huggie
05.07.2009, 20:47
Once again I am left totally bemused by the choice of test piece. Here we have the best second section bands in the UK all knocking on the door of the first section, yet the test piece chosen isn't going to sort the wheat from the chaff at all. All the bands will play this piece comfortably.
A test piece should in my opinion be exactly that, a test. There really is a gulf in difficulty between first and second section test pieces. I am so dissapointed!

Mesmerist
05.07.2009, 22:20
What Chaff Lee? Not in the finals surely! Though I have to agree with you. Cannot get excited about this one. Even though we have had Mr Motivator Steve Sykes in to do our 2 rehearsals on it.

tubbytuba
05.07.2009, 22:58
Hmmm take a good look,me included thought that New World Sketches wasnt up to it.We had Dave Childs with us last week and we played it through a couple of times,it sounded ok but as Dave said theres a lot of devil in the detail!!!!

Mesmerist
05.07.2009, 23:37
Not saying there isn`t a lot of detail or that those rhythms in the 3rd are easy to dovetail just it would have been nice to have a go at something more like land of the long white fluffy clouds where you have got to work hard at home to perfect your part. Just my opinion. When our MD gets back and we get closer to september I am sure I will be as enthusiastic as everyone else.

Mesmerist
05.07.2009, 23:44
^^ ignore me. Just feeling very down and despondent with band at the moment. Our MD has been away for 3 weeks and is still away for another 2 weeks and in spite of having 2 capable guest conductors its not the same without him.
Its got so bad I cannot even practise and its showing in my playing already. Pathetic I know but I miss being pushed harder at rehearsals and the rants and ravings.

tubbytuba
05.07.2009, 23:46
I take the point re maybe its not a "classic" in the test piece world but its already growing on me,that 2nd movement will sound fantastic when its perfected!!!

tubbytuba
05.07.2009, 23:51
Hey Messi we have got almost the opposite lol Overload! Loads of band and nothing else

huggie
06.07.2009, 18:44
What Chaff Lee? Not in the finals surely! Though I have to agree with you. Cannot get excited about this one. Even though we have had Mr Motivator Steve Sykes in to do our 2 rehearsals on it.

There shouldn't be any chaff at this level, fair point. I was going to say that it won't sort the men out from the boys (as John Clough used to say) but you can's say that these days as you will upset the pc brigade. Not that I wan't to upset the pc brigade, there are many fine female players out there, time to stop digging me thinks :oops:

P.S say hello to Steve from all at Frickley South Elmsall

Mesmerist
28.07.2009, 00:11
Ignore all previous grouchiness and moaning. Now had 3 rehearsals with Steve Sykes and 3 with our own MD (who is back hurray) and its going well. Love it and have to say however immodest it sounds band sounds awesome at the moment.

The-Wee-Timpanist
26.08.2009, 00:15
Still not sure about the 3rd movement but, not really looked at it properly. Love the 1st and 2nd movements especially the beginning of the 2nd :) starting to look forward to it all now after a few "rough" months. Bring it on!

Valvecap
29.08.2009, 12:38
Quick question, does anyone know how many Timps are avaliable on stage? Im assuming 4 but ive been caught out at contests before...

Mesmerist
29.08.2009, 15:07
Still not sure about the 3rd movement but, not really looked at it properly. Love the 1st and 2nd movements especially the beginning of the 2nd :) starting to look forward to it all now after a few "rough" months. Bring it on!

That 3rd movement is quite tricky. Love the 2nd movement (but only after the flugel bit...)

Mesmerist
30.08.2009, 20:59
this is very quiet. Must be that everyone is working really hard...

Valvecap
31.08.2009, 11:42
Yes definiely working hard Mesmerist... the harder im working on the piece, the more fine detail I seem to be pulling out of it! Great piece of music!

Mesmerist
31.08.2009, 22:39
Guess you will be in the prizes then Mr Nichols?

Mesmerist
31.08.2009, 22:42
Oh by the way if you want to hear how we sounded in feb (a few people changes since then) then you can hear clips from our CD on our website. Be honest - how did we do?

themusicalrentboy
31.08.2009, 22:51
liking the 'HOY!' at the end of the Fire Dance! :P

Mesmerist
31.08.2009, 23:15
Thanks! we ladies have deep voices!

Mesmerist
01.09.2009, 09:35
Sorry should have put the link on. www.verwoodconcertbrass.co.uk . Suite for Brass is the live recording from last years 3rd section National Finals which some of you know very well as you were there too. Un-doctored by the way, we bought it off Doyen.

Independent Silver Band
01.09.2009, 19:31
Sorry should have put the link on. www.verwoodconcertbrass.co.uk (http://www.verwoodconcertbrass.co.uk) . Suite for Brass is the live recording from last years 3rd section National Finals which some of you know very well as you were there too. Un-doctored by the way, we bought it off Doyen.

I listened to the samples on this link. This is a good group. I am still fascinated that this culture exists.

By the way, were you soloing on any of the numbers? I couldn't tell if I was hearing a cornet or flugle on a couple of the numbers.

Valvecap
01.09.2009, 21:44
Guess you will be in the prizes then Mr Nichols?

Lol we can but hope! My first shot at the nationals as an MD so anything above last is a bonus.

Mesmerist
17.09.2009, 16:19
Have got the pre-contest jitters already. Wake up with THAT tune in my head going round and round and in rehearsal keep spoiling a perfectly easy 4 bars... Why do we do this? I won`t relax now until it is played then will wonder what all the fuss was about?

euphymike
17.09.2009, 16:40
yes! there are certain four bar snippets that can 'lodge' themselves in yer grey matter!!!!
Me, I'm calm. as they say in my line of busniess. Stay focused and on message! Whatever that means?
Im focused on my lowly top f# at the begining of the second movement. slightly exposed comes to mind!
hope the man in tent is yawning at that point or blowing his nose!

The-Wee-Timpanist
17.09.2009, 17:24
Quick question, does anyone know how many Timps are avaliable on stage? Im assuming 4 but ive been caught out at contests before...

Did you find out the answer to this? I have a list of percussion kicking about at band so let me know if you still don't know. I know that there was a definite no in moving equipment.

Have got the pre-contest jitters already. Wake up with THAT tune in my head going round and round and in rehearsal keep spoiling a perfectly easy 4 bars... Why do we do this? I won`t relax now until it is played then will wonder what all the fuss was about?

I'm rather excited about it all today. Although, the tune is buzzing around in my head too, especially the 3rd movement :)

Valvecap
18.09.2009, 09:24
Yeh they sent us a map with a list of percussion on and a map showing where the timps would be... your band secretary should have recieved it with all the other info - its on a big red sheet of paper so shouldnt be hard to miss. It has 4 timps shown on it so im banking on there been 4 timps...

Looking forward to next week - excited to hear all the other bands as well as hearing what we sound like on such a big stage / hall. Look forward to meeting you guys in Harrogate!

towse1972
18.09.2009, 09:32
Come on Oldham!!!! Due a win at the Nationals!

Valvecap
18.09.2009, 10:23
Hot favourites as well Donna... I prefer been the underdog! Good job!

g55music
20.09.2009, 14:42
Definately due a win!!!!!
5th Nationals in a row!!! Surely we've done enough to deserve a win this time?!!
Suppose we'll soon find out!

Mesmerist
20.09.2009, 22:17
Good luck to all. I sincerely hope we all have a good day and play to our full potential. We have worked hard and left nothing to chance (I Hope!) as you all have. Whatever happens - luck of the draw on the day which does have a bearing on the results - whether 1st or last - we all earnt our place at Harrogate so congratulations to all of us for qualifying. See you there! XXX

tubbytuba
20.09.2009, 23:12
Good luck to all. I sincerely hope we all have a good day and play to our full potential. We have worked hard and left nothing to chance (I Hope!) as you all have. Whatever happens - luck of the draw on the day which does have a bearing on the results - whether 1st or last - we all earnt our place at Harrogate so congratulations to all of us for qualifying. See you there! XXX

Well said Mesmerist!!! Im sure we will all have a great day,be glad to get it done and dusted lol

ste77
20.09.2009, 23:12
cmon wellington lets go and give a good show and who knows we may win again. hope weatherspoons has plenty of beer in!!!!

Mesmerist
21.09.2009, 18:26
Played through it tonight,or should i say tried to sight read through it lol.Well this going to be real hard work,its full of nice bits and pieces. The second movement is a real cracker but again as a bass player its going to be hard going.Dave Childs is down with us shortly and we will work hard at it then

Just a thought Tubby but isn`t David Childs the son of Bob Childs? One of the adjudicators? You might be laying yourselves open for a bit of post match criticism?

If not - has Ray Farr got any children who will come down and take us? :biggrin:

Mesmerist
21.09.2009, 18:28
Hmmm take a good look,me included thought that New World Sketches wasnt up to it.We had Dave Childs with us last week and we played it through a couple of times,it sounded ok but as Dave said theres a lot of devil in the detail!!!!

Hmmmmm :biggrin: Lets hope he didn`t get any tips from his DAD!!!

Valvecap
23.09.2009, 10:42
interesting 4br predictions... amusingly they have not added my conductor profile or pic... bearing in mind the bands all submitted their own write ups of their MDs, test piece opinions and personel, thats a bit bad that is! lol. "unknown underdog" - crackin place to be. Good luck to all in Harrogate - ill look forward to seeing as many as possible of you in the bar afterwards!

dyl
23.09.2009, 11:01
... amusingly they have not added my conductor profile or pic... bearing in mind the bands all submitted their own write ups of their MDs, test piece opinions and personel, thats a bit bad that is! lol.

Aye, they haven't updated ours either - preferring to use an 8 year old photo of Gav - even though I submitted a new one - especially since he's lost a lot of weight between photos!

Good luck to all in Harrogate

Aye, and from me too! We (Deiniolen) are really enjoying the final week's preparation and hearing everything come together just in time! Looking forward to Saturday now......

Mesmerist
23.09.2009, 12:00
They used an old photo of our MD as well. He has had cosmetic surgery since then and looks totally different. Its funny how we all care about what 4bars rest says even though they are very often wrong! Come on all the dark horses who didn`t get a mention, it usually means you will be in the prizes...

Good luck to all.

steve butler
23.09.2009, 13:24
Good luck to all tmpers and c'mon the Yorkie bands, put them Southern softies in their place and fight off the Celtic marauders ;)

towse1972
23.09.2009, 17:46
come on OLDHAM!!!!!!!!!Bring it home!!!

Big Gav
23.09.2009, 22:08
Can't say I love it...but can't say I hate it either!!!!! It's pleasant enough in bits (2nd movement could be nice by some bands!) and the rhythmic stuff will catch a few out, especially when the nerves set in!! I think all bands will get through it, but it's the detail which will win it. Also the style could be the decisive- will they have style in mind before the contest or will they be open minded. Who knows!!

As far as timps are concerned I have no idea......but the less the better for my timpanists!!!!!

Big Gav
23.09.2009, 22:13
By the way....apologies for the 4BR photo!! It was taken at Birmingham whilst celebrating 2003 Open win!!!! Thanks a lot Foxy!!!!!!

Big Gav
23.09.2009, 22:21
Anyone know whether the composer will be listening?
Would be nice to hear his thoughts on the performances. Last year (I played for winners Beaumaris in section 1) Philip Sparke gave our conductor some fantastic feedback, which meant much more coming from him than it did from the adjudicators! ( No Mr. Mead-ish pun intended!!)

Valvecap
24.09.2009, 15:29
Yes Gav Alan is going - not sure how many he is listening to but hes definitely going to be in the hall from what he said a few weeks back.

themusicalrentboy
26.09.2009, 15:47
well done to Cardiff!!!!

ronnie_the_lizard
26.09.2009, 16:17
A london band in the top 5 at the finals - that can't be right ;)

Must be down to bad adjudication again - where's Steven Mead when you need him.

Well done ELB !

Frontman
27.09.2009, 01:52
I have followed all day, the 2nd section and 4th section band by band update on 4 bars rest with great interest, especially Oldham Lees Band who have achieved so much in the past 5 years. and also congratulate the bands who have gained honours this year.

However what I cannot understand is the so call OWNERS of the National Finals, cannot be bothered to even update their own web site. Is it that the lower sections are not of interest or is it just that they cannot be bothered. I am sure that if this was Albert Hall time they would show some interest. Please remember that Brass Band also exsist in the realms of the make no money bracket.

Please have the decency to update your web site as at the end of the day, the majority of bands are in the Lower Sections.

tubbytuba
27.09.2009, 01:56
Well done to all who competed today and a real big well done to my band "Camborne B" just got home to Cornwall after what seemed like forever on the coach!!! First job was to put the c.d of the performance on and it sounded fantastic!!!.Very well done to our very young band (only 4 players over the age of 19) also a big well done to Cardiff

bbg
27.09.2009, 11:54
Well done to Arbroath and Annan for not finishing as the bottom 2 - as that's what the 4br "live" comments suggested was going to happen. Notice that tMp's very own Wee Percussionist and her team got an honourable mention though - nice one, Rachael.

I must however ask our good friend, the Mesmerist herself, to explain why a certain band from the very south of England allowed (encoraged? forced?) their MD to wear the kilt!

Valvecap
27.09.2009, 14:33
Id like to congratulate Frickley South Elmsall and thank them for all the work they put in in the run up to this contest. Amazing commitment from my players - an MD couldnt ask for any more. 4th overall is a cracking result for a first "nationals" in over 10 years - and the way you played on stage it could have been even higher. Was so proud to conduct Frickley yesterday - great group of people with a BIG future.

Well done to all the bands - and obviously the winners - afraid I didnt hear anyone else (silly superstition) but it was good to put so many faces to names. Now we have come 4th at national level I wonder if 4br will publish my MD profile next time... lol.

Mesmerist
27.09.2009, 16:39
Congratulations to Cardiff!! Well done. One of our players heard you and said you were pure class.
It was a good weekend wasn`t it? In spite of our duff result we partied and went out for a band curry banquet and have just got home...Some with larger hangovers than others.
To answer the Kilt question - Its Cornish Tartan - he is from Sennen Cove - and to answer the other unanswered one - yes we did all get a deliberate flash when he bent over to give a bow (and much later in Wetherspoons...). Our playing consolation was that we were pleased with how we performed and Alan Fernie sought us out to say how much he had enjoyed our interpretation - and Hey thats contesting! One man loved us but the other didn`t!

Anthony (Scooby) Longden
27.09.2009, 20:25
Really had a good time in Harrogate this weekend. Even tho the result was not what we expected, we certainly made up for it on Saturday evening.

A big Hello and thanks go to Annan Town Brass Band who we joined in singing out the back of Wetherspoons, a highlight of the night (and yes, they did prove they were real scots!). We saw you all this morning on your coach and u looked a little rough and hungover.

Well done to all of the winners and of course our fellow North Westers - Oldham. See you in Blackpool!

Tubah
28.09.2009, 07:43
[quote=Anthony (Scooby) Longden;705403]
A big Hello and thanks go to Annan Town Brass Band who we joined in singing out the back of Wetherspoons, a highlight of the night (and yes, they did prove they were real scots!). We saw you all this morning on your coach and u looked a little rough and hungover.quote]

Thanks for the name check and yes we were a tad tender on Sunday.

Big up for all who joined in the al fresco choral recital at wet her spoons (not a typo, an in joke).

Congrats to all who played over the weekend. Getting there is a victory, surviving it is a fluke!

Quote of the weeekend..... Mr A Fernie "you need an **** to wear a kilt and boy have you got one"

SALUTATIONS TO ALL FRIENDS NEW AND OLD

H:cool:

Alyn James
28.09.2009, 10:32
Well done Cardiff! Quite a weekend for the old town..:)

The-Wee-Timpanist
28.09.2009, 12:37
Well done to Arbroath and Annan for not finishing as the bottom 2 - as that's what the 4br "live" comments suggested was going to happen. Notice that tMp's very own Wee Percussionist and her team got an honourable mention though - nice one, Rachael.

Thank you very much :D

I was over the moon with our "star player" status. Still smiling about it all.

Have to say it was the best weekend I ever had and hello to all those who were in 'spoons that day and joined in our most memorable singing and shenanigins. To those who didn't - you missed out big time! Hammy you were on fine form.

Signing out - the blue tongued percussionist with the leopard skin stick bag ;)

Scottie
28.09.2009, 17:58
Aye fellow Annan Town banders thanks for laughing your ***s off when i went to pick up that 50p you had superglued to the pavement at the spoons!!!!
I could have broke a fingernail you know!!

bbg
01.10.2009, 10:46
Retros now up on 4BR - have a look at the "gallery" for a candid shot of a tmP'er from sunny Annan...

The-Wee-Timpanist
01.10.2009, 11:02
Retros now up on 4BR - have a look at the "gallery" for a candid shot of a tmP'er from sunny Annan...

Which Annan tMP'er am I looking for? :confused:

Valvecap
01.10.2009, 12:11
Shocking shot of me on there... (looks like he was looking in my ear) 4br review of the individual bands seems a little sparse in places, but I can recommend listening to Dr Childs audio interview post contest... He makes some very interesting points about how they placed the bands and what they were looking for. I wish all adjudicators would do this for contests.

What did the percussionists think to the equipment? My timp player was warned as we went on that the pedal was slipping on one of the timps - I was informed later that the gear was hired and not Rays own (Ray is a legend in perc supply and beyond reproach in my eyes)... It sounded excellent from the front, but Im no percussionist.

Tubah
01.10.2009, 12:32

Its you ya daft ha'peth.
Look under Harrogate "postcard gallery" in 4br "Articles".
Before the blue tongue virus hit you mind.

Which sop player does this remind you of??:woo

The-Wee-Timpanist
01.10.2009, 17:40
Its you ya daft ha'peth.
Look under Harrogate "postcard gallery" in 4br "Articles".
Before the blue tongue virus hit you mind.

Which sop player does this remind you of??:woo

Haha, gosh so it is. An awful shot that it is too. At least I'm getting the band name about :lol: blue tongue in that would have made it much more classier!

Hmm... purple, "woo-woos"... tricky one that!

tubbytuba
01.10.2009, 17:44
So now its all over and done with what is the views of the hall/venue in general and the results,are we all pleased????

Valvecap
01.10.2009, 17:56
Very Happy, 4th is brilliant - nice to have been higher (never go to contest to do anything other than win) but considering we were rank outsiders, 4th is cracking. The hall is good - I liked the accoustic - good contesting accoustic from an MDs point of view. Well run, well organised, and very good facilities. Credit to the organisers.

tubbytuba
01.10.2009, 18:18
Personally i also like the hall,its the second time playing in this hall and we are always forwarned how hard it is to play in but i have played in far,far deader halls,i also agree it was run very well,it all ran like clockwork.Having come 3rd its always a dissappointment not to win but with our very young band in hindsight a great result (only 4 players over 19). Thought the adjudication was very good though Ray did seem to ramble a bit lol

bbg
01.10.2009, 18:30

I wouldn't dare call you daft like your bandmate did - but I did say look in the "gallery"!!

Still a bit dazed and confused after a night oot in Harrogate perchance???