22.03.2009, 17:02
http://www.themouthpiece.com/images/2009finalsthird.jpg

Results courtesy www.4barsrest.com

beccawheeze2
23.03.2009, 20:49
Cubbington SIlver are really looking forward to it! See you there

beccawheeze2
23.03.2009, 20:50
Any idea when the test pieces will be announced?

ophicliede
19.05.2009, 22:56
Chomping at the bit to look at the testpiece, hopefully it should be announced soon!

Al
21.05.2009, 09:53
There'll be no bit left by the time the piece is announced.

I would say a couple of weeks.

Jack 'Baritone' Turner
21.05.2009, 14:43
Crofton are really looking forward to it too. I'm even looking forward to those intense rehearsals where our MD picks on the Baritones...as usual

ophicliede
01.06.2009, 21:14
Fabulous choice for the competing bands in the 3rd Section and a great tribute to Goff who hasn't had the best of health in recent times. Can't wait for the finals.

beccawheeze2
04.06.2009, 00:13
Great piece, already in our library. Shame we didn't have the foresight to have a crack at it in the lull.

ophicliede
10.06.2009, 14:55
Any one know of recordings of Oceans, unfortunately Desford recording no longer available?

ophicliede
14.07.2009, 23:56
The Adjudicators for 3rd Section are Dr Bob Childs and Ray Farr.

brassneck
15.07.2009, 00:05
Any one know of recordings of Oceans, unfortunately Desford recording no longer available?

Breeze Brass Band (from Japan) recorded it on their CD called 'Mercury'. Good recording of Damare's Cleopatra by Roger Webster on that one.

killer
20.09.2009, 23:05
A week to go and i can hardly wait to splash that top C around the Harrogate conference centre, oh yes, and 4th bar of ......

(Edit: Non ff reference removed, PB, MOD)

the shed builder
21.09.2009, 15:26
just want to say good luck to the Royal Buckley Band for saturday :tup

FeistyFlugel
22.09.2009, 16:38
You won't be on your own Killer.....Best of luck mate and to all SMB. Hoping for a great result for both of us representing the North of England. Come on!!!!!!

jonmoss
22.09.2009, 16:41
just want to say good luck to the Royal Buckley Band for saturday :tup
Cheers Matty. Best of luck to Point of Ayr in the First Section from all of us !

killer
22.09.2009, 21:04
You won't be on your own Killer.....Best of luck mate and to all SMB. Hoping for a great result for both of us representing the North of England. Come on!!!!!!

Best of luck to you too mate and same to all at the North Skelton Band.

Caged Tigers.

ophicliede
22.09.2009, 23:21
Just been given the kiss of death on the 4barest predictions.

robcav
23.09.2009, 02:45
Wishing all of you guys at North Skelton the very best of luck for the weekend. I'll be thinking of you.

Cheers
Rob

steve butler
23.09.2009, 09:07
Best of luck to all caged tigers at the weekend :D

FeistyFlugel
23.09.2009, 14:15
Wishing all of you guys at North Skelton the very best of luck for the weekend. I'll be thinking of you.

Cheers
Rob

Thanks buddy. Not an easy piece for 3rd section, and some good bands in it this year. See predictions from 4bars:-

Prediction:
1. Brunel Brass
2. Dobcross
3. Lostock Hall Memorial
4. South Milford
5. Garforth
6. Crofton
Dark Horse: Douglas Town

I thought not been in the predictions would ease the pressure.........Phhhh maybe not:-o

YorkshireBloke
23.09.2009, 21:38
Warmest wishes to St Sebastian Wokingham Band conducted by Lee Woodward - go for it bud, we're right behind you. Also good luck to North Skelton - I heard them at Ripon and they impressed. They sounded like a section or two above there. You heard it here first.....

Also best wishes also to Wearsey on sop at Crofton.
I might even listen to a few.... then I can have a valid opinion about the result (for once!),....

Paul

Anno Draconis
26.09.2009, 22:20
Best of luck to everyone in the 3rd section tomorrow. This weekend 2 years ago I was part of Middleton's victory in this very section, so I know how much it means. Have a good 'un :tup

IYOUNG
27.09.2009, 09:54
Good luck to St Sebs today my new local band

Hells Bones
27.09.2009, 12:16
Oh dear.......

4br have started with their sea-faring comments already.

Ali Woodman
27.09.2009, 18:20
Congratulations to Brunel Brass, what an amazing achievement for a band that has only been going a couple of years . I had the delight of depping with them in the Summer and they have a brilliant young band, with so much potential.

I am so pleased for my old mate and Sun Life Band buddy Paul Richards who took the solo prize. The guy is pure class, but he's just one of many great players Brunel have.

Well done guys.

YorkshireBloke
27.09.2009, 20:15
Some excellent playing, the bands and audience seemed to enjoy "Oceans". I sat and listened to all 17 performances, (now I need a few drinks and a lie down!!!)

PM me if you want to know what I thought, suffice to say I had positions 1 and 2 the other way round!

Its a major headache trying to place 17 bands....its all very subjective, it all depends what you are looking for. I agree with My Childs when he said that the performances fell into 3 groups...I suspect that happens at most contests. I didnt agree exactly with his final placings but thats was always unlikely.

Well done to everyone, and to my Brother in Law who conducted St Sebastian, they may have come 17th but the interpretation was excellent imho.
P.

beccawheeze2
27.09.2009, 23:29
Well done Cubbington, roll on Labour and Love in March! Oh yes and Oceans (again) in Leamington.

steve butler
28.09.2009, 00:09
I think the tigers are still in their cages

FeistyFlugel
28.09.2009, 12:52
Some excellent playing, the bands and audience seemed to enjoy "Oceans". I sat and listened to all 17 performances, (now I need a few drinks and a lie down!!!)

PM me if you want to know what I thought, suffice to say I had positions 1 and 2 the other way round!

Its a major headache trying to place 17 bands....its all very subjective, it all depends what you are looking for. I agree with My Childs when he said that the performances fell into 3 groups...I suspect that happens at most contests. I didnt agree exactly with his final placings but thats was always unlikely.

Well done to everyone, and to my Brother in Law who conducted St Sebastian, they may have come 17th but the interpretation was excellent imho.
P.

Well done all at NSB,:woo this was the first areas for this band (as is) and just getting to the Nationals was not an easy task at all. Then to up the game and finish 2nd Nationally was a very very hard earned team result. We have all (I mean all) worked very hard and together for this result and it feels marvlous. Many people echo'd your thoughts Yorkshire bloke , but well done to Brunel for the win another up and coming band I hear. The two adjuicators know there stuff but also know what they like on the day! and that as they say is final. Maybe next time eh!...

Also unlucky to SMB I heard your performance and altough it was a very different interpretation to ours, I thought the band was up there. Killer on Euph aced it.(no splating it all over harrogate as you predicted eh!. Well done mate (see you all at the Areas if not before).:tup

JR
28.09.2009, 13:37
Well done all at NSB,:woo this was the first areas for this band (as is) and just getting to the Nationals was not an easy task at all. Then to up the game and finish 2nd Nationally was a very very hard earned team result. We have all (I mean all) worked very hard and together for this result and it feels marvlous. Many people echo'd your thoughts Yorkshire bloke ,

Well done Richard - i got the news from Dave Shawcross when I picked him up on the A1! i bet Adam on Bass trom will be pleased

That Yorkshire bloke's biased! - loyal though and listened to all of them before you went on

Glad Wearsy got a mention on 4br with Crofton

John R

FeistyFlugel
28.09.2009, 14:05
Well done Richard - i got the news from Dave Shawcross when I picked him up on the A1! i bet Adam on Bass trom will be pleased

That Yorkshire bloke's biased! - loyal though and listened to all of them before you went on

Glad Wearsy got a mention on 4br with Crofton

John R

Thanks John, Adam was fab as were all the soloist. It was nice to be on the BIG stage again.....I love the rush.

No doubt I'll see ya around John..till next time

Cheers
Richard

on_castors
28.09.2009, 16:09
Well done Cubbington, roll on Labour and Love in March! Oh yes and Oceans (again) in Leamington.

Very pleased to see the result.... consistently every upwards! :-)

YorkshireBloke
28.09.2009, 20:35
Ive had a few PM's seeking my comments on individual perfomances which ive replied to.

Some observations in my personal opinion:

The overall standard was very good, I was genuinely impressed. Its great that there are so many quality players at section 3 level.
Very few bands made the difference between f and ff at the opening
Very few bands were together at letter D
Very few bands got the quiet dynamics, most played safe
Tempos varied massively, some went far too fast, the poor percussion player had no chance with one band at letter O.
The cornet and trom duet section tested most bands
There was quite a lot of overblowing in the "calypso" section from a few bands who seemed to get overexcited!
The standard of playing on the percussion was generally impressive, especially on the fast hi-hat sections, but its only marked mf on the score.
The standard of solo cornet playing and solo euph playing was, in the main, excellent
Very few bands made the difference between f and ff at letter O on the second time through, it really made a difference
If you can't wear your formal uniforms on the Nationals Stage when can you? 2 bands took their jackets off which looked a bit scruffy.
One band had a brilliant start and middle section (I had them right up there), then they got carried away and blew it away (literally!)
One conductor was shouting during the performance which was a bit silly.
Solo cornet with band drawn number 8 was the best soloist for me.
I thought Brunel were excellent. I thought North Skelton were even better imho.

I made notes and gave points to all bands just cos I said I would. Its bleeding hard work, the level of concentration needed is massive, and when you come to the final placings, it far from easy. Ive had a headache all day.

Blagger
28.09.2009, 22:31
Intersting opinions there - :)
I'll pass on your thoughts to Sarah re. her Cornet playing ;)
(played number 8 BTW)

YorkshireBloke
28.09.2009, 23:44
I had Lostock 4th with 186. Best solo cornet on the day for me as I say. Good bases too. PM me if you want my full comments for a laugh!

Congrats on your performance!

Beesa
29.09.2009, 00:19
Very few bands made the difference between f and ff at the opening
Very few bands were together at letter D
Tempos varied massively, some went far too fast, the poor percussion player had no chance with one band at letter O.
The cornet and trom duet section tested most bands
There was quite a lot of overblowing in the "calypso" section from a few bands who seemed to get overexcited!
Very few bands made the difference between f and ff at letter O on the second time through, it really made a difference

Some good comments from YorkshireBloke, thanks for your time, the ones I've selected above hit home with me and the bands I was involved with.

Beesa
29.09.2009, 00:28
I've just been sent youtube links for Oceans along with a scrolling score!
which I found very useful when reading the comments kindly supplied!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oQonif6lPOs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zxwbl4AlLZU