PDA

View Full Version : Mike Finn Tuba Mouthpieces

AndyCat
18.02.2003, 15:49
Charlie's review got me thinking.......

A while ago I read on the Tubenet tuba bulletin board ( http://www.chisham.com/tubabbs.html ) about a new range of Tuba mouthpieces designed and made by a USA player Mike Finn. He was kind enough to send me the 3 (at the time) models, the MF1, 2 and 3.

I tried all 3 for about 2 months, but have settled on the MF3, which is the largest but also comfiest to me. I find it a lot easier to get volume without the sound breaking up, and tuning and articulation are more comfortable. I think I'm the only UK player with these mouthpieces, or I was when I recieved them. I still have one of each model.

They are certainly not a conventional design, but seem to work very well indeed. I've previously played on Wick, Bach, Schilke and Perantucci mouthpieces, and this is by far the best mouthpiece I have had (so far!!)

For comparisons the:

MF3 is similar to Mirafone TU39 or Perantucci 44, 83 or 84, bigger than a Wick 1, inbetween Bach 12 and 7.

MF2 is similar to Schilke 67 or Bach 18, but inbetween a Wick 2 and 1.

MF1 is same as MF2 but with a rounder rim.

His website ( www.mikefinnmouthpieces.com )has more details, as well as news of a new MF4 (slightly smaller than the others). If anyone is desparate to try one, or wants more info, they could contact me (although please note I don't sell them or make any money). They aren't cheap, but they aren't as expensive as some!

Andy Cattanach, Williams Fairey Brass Band, Intrada Brass Ensemble, Wigan Jazz Club Big Band etc.
www.andycattanach.co.uk

Matthew
18.02.2003, 21:26
Hi Andy :)

The largest one sounds promising actually.......I have a Bach 24AW, Bach 7 (HUGE and like a cavern!), Wick assortment, etc. Currently use a Courtois 18 Mouthpiece on a Sovereign BBb, but looking around for new possibilities in the future to try out.

I know we had a brief word about this before (via MSN BB Forum) - how much would the largest (sounds the best as it's smaller than a Bach 7), the 'MF3' set me back?

Cheers,

Matt

AndyCat
18.02.2003, 22:34
Hi Matt.

You'd have to get in touch with Mike via his website. He would do a special price for UK customers including shipping etc.

Andy

Highams
19.02.2003, 08:25
Great post from Andy, these are quality mouthpieces, but so far only for tuba I think.

With the new Sparx cornet range from Canada on the lists as well, could it be that instruments have gone as far as they can, and that new results are being obtained through the mouthpiece ?

frisp
14.03.2003, 20:23
I'm playing an MF3 as well- Spock at BT has the MF2 that Mike kindly also sent me.

Mike Finn mouthpieces now have a UK distributor in the form of www.mrtuba.com. His website doesn't reflect his product range, give him a phone.

The Mike Finn mouthpieces are ace, whatever your standard. I didn't think a mouthpiece could actually make a difference to your sound, but I was wrong. The MF3 is hard work if you're not very good (e.g. me) because it's quite hard to be accurate but the sound difference is brilliant.

frisp
14.03.2003, 20:25
Sorry, I forgot to add...

if you get no joy out of Mark at Mr. Tuba (or just don't want to deal with him) get in touch with Mike Finn on the net-very, very helpful!!!!

frisp
14.03.2003, 20:37
how much would the largest (sounds the best as it's smaller than a Bach 7), the 'MF3' set me back?

Matthew, he charged me $125 (including shipping) to the IOM- worth every penny :!:

PeterBale
17.03.2003, 10:07
For some reason I can't enter anything in the poll - it was the same on Saturday morning when I tried. I usually play on a Vincent Bach 24W which I find suits the range and dynamics I am expected to cover. Also occasionally use a Dennis Wick 2L, and in the past the Salvation Army Rangefinder (not so good at the bottom end of the range).

Darth_Tuba
17.03.2003, 23:01
Hmmm... odd subject mouthpieces. I used to swear by my bach 18, but when I changed instrument to a maestro from a sov, it wasn't the same... now the yamaha mouthpiece that comes with the instrument (66D4 I believe) is the best i've tried. I'm not a fan of these MF jobbies... although I've never been a great believer in chopping and changing mouthpieces in general (only ever used three!). I think it's very much a personal thing.

Rant over

Aussie Tuba
11.05.2003, 10:38
I Used to use Wick tuba 3A when I first got my Sov and have since moved to a perantucci , I find it give a more edgy sound , more like an orcestral tuba with a tremendouse range ( more than 4 octaves )

the fish
17.05.2003, 11:36
I'm not a fan of changing mouthpieces all the time, but about 6 months ago I moved from a wick 1L to the new 1XL. There is quite a difference in the XL mouthpieces, the backbore & cup are slightly deeper and the rim is much wider. It's certainly given me more power, but with less edge. :lol:

Aussie Tuba
18.05.2003, 05:19
I'm not a fan of changing mouthpieces all the time, but about 6 months ago I moved from a wick 1L to the new 1XL. There is quite a difference in the XL mouthpieces, the backbore & cup are slightly deeper and the rim is much wider. It's certainly given me more power, but with less edge. :lol:
:idea:
Hi
I Like a bit of edge , It helps to keep your note crisp ! not fluffy like what can happen on larger instuments . :idea: :?:

MoominDave
18.05.2003, 10:53
Doesn't one need to be able to play with and without 'edge' as required?

Dave

Aussie Tuba
18.05.2003, 22:12
Doesn't one need to be able to play with and without 'edge' as required?

Dave

Yes You do Dave , But Mouthpiece can make a marked difference . I was playing in a small music camp Band and we had no Bass Trom , I was asked to play the Bass trom cue and Make it sound like Bass Trom ,
No Problem with perantucci . In Normal playing i get a nice Orcestral tuba Sound Warm and with just the right amount of Edge !

Hows Kidlington these days , My Aunt and Uncle used to live just behind the large Police station There

MoominDave
19.05.2003, 00:48
Hows Kidlington these days , My Aunt and Uncle used to live just behind the large Police station There

:!: Small world...

Its still a village, but it's pretty sizable these days - well into 5 figures of population I think. Were they or you involved in any local music?

Dave

TheMusicMan
19.05.2003, 00:52

:!: Small world...

Its still a village, but it's pretty sizable these days - well into 5 figures of population I think. Were they or you involved in any local music?

Dave

AS I gather - you did very well in WSM today... 1st Prize I believe yeah... well done Dave.

I actually work for a company in Kidlington.... ES

MoominDave
19.05.2003, 01:09
Cheers - yeah, we were pretty chuffed, though it was a little embarrassing to be announced first after the celebrations that Rogerstone gave for 2nd! The Bass Trombone restraint deployed made me feel highly virtuous.

Good idea of yours to have tMP plugged during the pre-results speech, by the way...

Cwmbran to Kidlington is some commute! Or do you work from home? Actually, that is rather spooky - so you're a computing bod for Elsevier Science; so is my father, Martin Taylor. Is that a familiar name? He plays double B for Wantage alongside "The Fish", Julian Shirley.

I'm off to bed... 7 a.m. start for giving a 9 a.m. presentation the content of which is still somewhat fluid...

Dave

big_benthomson
30.06.2003, 10:25
im on a schilke67 and i dont think u can go far wrong with one at all. Used to use the Yamaha 66D4 that came with me maestro, but as my lips were i suppose 'toughening up', the rim felt sharper and sharper until i always got a massive ring an my face after playing for a while. The schilke is good because you can use it on all tubas. Iv had it on the Eb for nearly a year now and i also use it on C tuba and all the notes are still there so im happy. Had a perantucci for a bit, was ok, better than the Yamaha, then i dropped it. Major waste of 70

euphonium_john
06.08.2005, 09:50
If you're interested:- the Music Cellar (www.themusiccellar.co.uk) is now the new uk dealer for Mike Finn moupieces.

Victojvalladares
03.11.2008, 14:22
greetings, I am a new player in these tubas eb compensating system, the only mouthpiece with which I can play it is with a conn helleberg 180, but the mouthpiece in this tuba does not behave very well in regards to acute ties, I have SCHILKE 66 and 62 but they do not get achievement in sound recording grave before with my used another tuba these nozzles to perform well, I like this system compensating much but I have not find a nozzle to me in the register of sound and sustains severe acute .. help me please?

agentorange
03.11.2008, 16:27
Great post from Andy, these are quality mouthpieces, but so far only for tuba I think.

Also available for euph. Been playing one for 3 months now and loving it!