PDA

View Full Version : Scottish Regional Championships - 2009

Di
06.01.2009, 20:02
Scottish Regional Championships
Championship Section
Test Piece : Salute to Youth, (http://www.themouthpiece.com/vb/showthread.php?t=34837)Gilbert Vinter
Sunday 22nd March
(Commences following conclusion of First section)
Venue : Caird Hall, Dundee
Adjudicators: Alan Morrison & Major Graham Jones

Participating Bands:

Bo'ness & Carriden
Bon Accord Silver
Clackmannan District
Dalmellington
Dunaskin Doon
Kingdom Brass
Kirkintilloch
Scottish Co-op
Unison Kinneil
Whitburn

First Section
Test Piece : Pentacle, Graham Cole (http://www.themouthpiece.com/vb/showthread.php?t=34838)
Sunday 22nd March
Adjudicators: Kevin Wadsworth & Peter Bassano

Participating Bands:

Barrhead Burgh
Bathgate
Broxburn & Livingston
Campbeltown Brass
Johnstone Silver
Kirkintilloch Kelvin
Lochgelly
Newmilns & Galston
Newtongrange Silver
St. Ronan's Silver

Second Section
Test Piece : New World Sketches, Daniel Price (http://www.themouthpiece.com/vb/showthread.php?t=34839)
Saturday 21st March
(commences following conclusion of Third Section)
Adjudicators: Kevin Wadsworth & Major Graham Jones

Participating Bands :

Annan Town
Arbroath Instrumental
City of Discovery
Croy
Dalkeith & Monktonhall
Granite City Brass
Jedforest Instrumental
Perthshire Brass
Selkirk Silver
Shotts St. Patrick's Brass
Tullis Russell Mills

Third Section
Test Piece : The Once and Future King, Andrew Baker (http://www.themouthpiece.com/vb/showthread.php?t=34840)
Saturday 21st March
Adjudicators: Peter Bassano and Peter Roberts

Participating Bands :

Bon Accord Silver 'B'
Buckhaven & Methil
Coalburn Silver
Dundee Instrumental (St. Margaret's)
Dunfermline Town
Irvine & Dreghorn
MacTaggart Scott Loanhead
Renfrew Burgh
St. David's Brass
Tayport Instrumental
Turriff Silver

Fourth Section
Test Piece : The Talisman for Brass Band, Frank Hughes (http://www.themouthpiece.com/vb/showthread.php?t=34841)
Saturday 21st March
(commences following conclusion of Second Section)
Adjudicators: Peter Robers & Alan Morrison

Participating Bands:

Brass Sounds Inverclyde
Dumfries Town
Newland Concert
Peebles Burgh
Penicuik Silver
Queensferry Community Brass

Information courtesy www.sbba.org.uk (http://www.sbba.org.uk) and John Martin

FlugelD
07.01.2009, 00:25
Third section: The Once and future king....

Surprised that Andy hasn't moaned yet...

Di
07.01.2009, 00:31
Third section: The Once and future king....

Surprised that Andy hasn't moaned yet...

My apologies. Just a little typo. Fixed. :) Off to do the other 7 regions now. :-?

FlugelD
07.01.2009, 00:46
Mater dear is Cornish - so I'm a bit of an Arthur anorak....

Pronunciation guide:-

Tin-taa-jel

Lee-on-ess

Baa-don

Enjoy!

The-Wee-Timpanist
15.01.2009, 11:26
Well, this thread is very quiet!

bbg
24.01.2009, 21:58
This post is possibly quiet 'cos nobody knows dates / times etc for the Scottish Regionals.......is this a new contest, whereby we head off to different Regional "heats" (Aberdeen? Hawick? Dumfries? Edinburgh? Glasgow? Campbeltown??) before the top few bands head off to Dundee in March?

Don't know about anyone else, but we are rehearsing the 2nd section piece in preparation for the *Scottish Championships (incorporating qualification for the National Championships of Great Britain), to be held in Dundee on the weekend of 21/22 March 2009.

*wording as per "Scottish" programme

Kinrao
03.02.2009, 19:35
Having been away from banding for a while, can anyone enlighten me as to the reasons for moving away from the Falkirk/Motherwell alternate?

Also, what's the Caird Hall like as a venue compared to the above?

flugelgal
03.02.2009, 19:40
Having been away from banding for a while, can anyone enlighten me as to the reasons for moving away from the Falkirk/Motherwell alternate?

Because it stops the bands in the central belt from having a huge advantage of not travelling very far, and also gives them a chance at a night/weekend away?

bbg
03.02.2009, 23:06
As far as I understand, Falkirk was dropped as a venue as the facilities were not the greatest - a long walk into the adjacent council offices to the warm up room, catering poor the last time we were there as I recall. Fife Council have offered good financial support for Glenrothes, used for the first time last year whilst Dundee was the venue for the British Nationals a few years back.
Caird Hall is a huge, old fashioned concert hall - very similar to Glasgow City Hall, the old Perth City Hall and the like. Big stage, great acoustic in the auditorium if unnervingly "dead" on stage - you think that you're the only one playing at times. Loads of space for changing / stalls / food etc but not great bus access at all - a quick stop on the side street at the foot of a flight of steps, and the changing/ warmup rooms are down loads of stairs from the main hall so it's a fair old carry for bass / perc players.

Di
07.02.2009, 10:51
Participating bands now added to opening post, with many thanks to John Martin. :)

DMBabe
13.02.2009, 03:27

Well... how can I put it? It's cack! Too big for any normal band to cope with, dead as a dodo and no facilities to speak of. Last time we played there and came off stage at stupid o'clock the outer hall area was like the marie celeste cos the food bit had shut a good couple of hours before and the bar was closed too. I know contests have a "wonderful" habit of over-running but that was just depressing. Wonder if SBBA have sorted that yet? Doubt it! Given its city centre location we had a fair hike to try and find something to eat and drink.

And like Brian says it involves a lot of lugging of stuff up many flights of stairs from the bus (while ur driver is getting yelled at for being stopped for too long by some jobs worthy steward type).

Why can't we go back into the lovely Perth Concert hall with the stovies and a stage you can actually hear stuff on? Don't tell me..... it's too expensive???:confused:

bbg
13.02.2009, 19:31
At least the 2nd Section will be off-stage before "stupid o'clock" this year, as we have been allocated the "afternoon" slot. Ideal in a lot of ways - fewer 7am rehearsals, even the further travelled bands (Annan, Selkirk and Jed) can set off at a reasonable hour. We're barely half an hour away from our hall north of Perth - a quick trip over some back roads and we're there. Perhaps less ideal though from the aforementioned bus-unloading scenario - a Saturday afternoon in Dundee city centre brings the traffic wardens out in their dozens.
Feel sorry for Dumfries in the 4th section though - a long drive home late at night, and Irvine have the dawn start for the 3rd section.

johnmartin
13.02.2009, 23:21
The sections on the Saturday are rotated each year so everyone gets an equal share of the dawn patrol and the graveyard shift. Anyway, only six bands in the fourth section this year and with both second and third being down a band it shouldn't be too late a finish.

FlugelD
14.02.2009, 00:23
Being 3rd section, with a silly o'clock start, we're heading north on Friday night.

Anyone know where we can have a blow at sparrowfart on contest day...?

(PS - my view - No probs with moving the contest around Scotland, as long as it's reasonably reachable for the majority of bands...)

(PPS DMBabe: willnae see you, hen, we'll be offski afore ye start... :( )

DMBabe
14.02.2009, 01:27
(PPS DMBabe: willnae see you, hen, we'll be offski afore ye start... :( )

Not a surprise considering if there's a late draw to be had it'll normally have our name on it.......... think of all the pub time u'll have though Deek!!!!;)

Gorgie boy
14.02.2009, 09:15
Maybe John Martin can help on this question. I had heard that Callander Brass (a new band - hip hip hooray) would be competing in the 4th Section. Conducted by Ian Milligan, a well kent face to many in SA circles. Are they competing John?

johnmartin
14.02.2009, 12:59
I don't think they are competing Paul but I know SBBA are keen to encourage non-contesting bands along to see what its all about. There is talk of a non-contesting section being held on Sunday between the 1st and Championship sections. It all depends on whether there are enough interested bands amongst our non-contesting brethern.

flugelgal
14.02.2009, 19:26
There is talk of a non-contesting section being held on Sunday between the 1st and Championship sections.

That sounds like a great idea! Great to get some of those bands into the whole contesting malarkey, there are a good few of them around the place.

Of course, they might have to call themselves something other than "non contesting" bands after that!

bbg
14.02.2009, 21:18
Spoke to my father-in-law this evening - he plays with Callander Brass, as do a few other retired gentlemen from Falkirk / Bo'Ness area SA bands, providing an experienced group to encourage the majority of the band who are more recent brass learners / converts from other instruments.
Callander are playing between the 1st and Championship contests, at around 2.30pm - if I'm not at work that afternoon I'll try to get back through to hear them.
Ian Milligan is a legend - well-known to many SA / ex SA folks from Music Camps in the 70s/80s, he moved to Callander a good number of years ago now as head of music at the school there. Callander Brass is his latest endeavour, after numerous musical / choral groups over the years. If anyone gets a chance to hear his ladies' voice group, Callander Chorale, take it - they are superb.

Gorgie boy
14.02.2009, 23:55
Spoke to my father-in-law this evening - he plays with Callander Brass, as do a few other retired gentlemen from Falkirk / Bo'Ness area SA bands, providing an experienced group to encourage the majority of the band who are more recent brass learners / converts from other instruments.
Callander are playing between the 1st and Championship contests, at around 2.30pm - if I'm not at work that afternoon I'll try to get back through to hear them.
Ian Milligan is a legend - well-known to many SA / ex SA folks from Music Camps in the 70s/80s, he moved to Callander a good number of years ago now as head of music at the school there. Callander Brass is his latest endeavour, after numerous musical / choral groups over the years. If anyone gets a chance to hear his ladies' voice group, Callander Chorale, take it - they are superb.

That's a fair hike to Callander for your father in law Brian!

Heard Callander Brass on You Tube and they are a fair sounding band. they heed to be encouraged to join the contesting ranks.

DMBabe
15.02.2009, 01:15
I don't think they are competing Paul but I know SBBA are keen to encourage non-contesting bands along to see what its all about. There is talk of a non-contesting section being held on Sunday between the 1st and Championship sections. It all depends on whether there are enough interested bands amongst our non-contesting brethern.

Am I the only one who doesn't get why there would be a non-contesting section at a contest??? Kinda defeats the point of being non-contesting.......:dunnoBeing that its a contest? Could understand if it was one of the festival type things like Slash in the Park but the Scottish (mothership of all things contesty in Scotland)!!

Unless someone in the know can enlighten me as to the point?

johnmartin
15.02.2009, 02:22
Am I the only one who doesn't get why there would be a non-contesting section at a contest??? Kinda defeats the point of being non-contesting.......:dunnoBeing that its a contest? Could understand if it was one of the festival type things like Slash in the Park but the Scottish (mothership of all things contesty in Scotland)!!

Unless someone in the know can enlighten me as to the point?
I will concede that the phrase "non-contesting section" was not the best choice of words. These bands are not being awarded points nor are they competing for trophies. The bands will be playing in the lull between the 1st and Championship sections whilst the adjudicators are deliberating the results of the 1st section contest. The idea is quite simply to try and encourage non-contesting bands into full contesting membership of SBBA by giving them a taster for what its like to play at the most important contest of the year.

bbg
16.02.2009, 19:15
Other than Callander, who are the other participating bands on the Sunday lunchtime?

The-Wee-Timpanist
01.03.2009, 18:24
20 days to go...

Gorgie boy
02.03.2009, 22:55
20 days to go...

Oh dear............. ;)

rosolino
03.03.2009, 21:16
Only another 340 posts to go John! :wink:

CannonFodder
05.03.2009, 13:43
For all those with long memories.....:

Has there every been a Test Piece chosen for the Regionals that hasn't involved an errata?

With all the money that bands have to fork out for music you'd think it'd be correct at going to print!?

HBB
05.03.2009, 15:54
For all those with long memories.....:

Has there every been a Test Piece chosen for the Regionals that hasn't involved an errata?

With all the money that bands have to fork out for music you'd think it'd be correct at going to print!?

The Once and Future King?

cornetcheese
12.03.2009, 23:34
Just noticed that Clydebank aren't competing - I tried to send them a "good luck" message via their website, but got a reply saying it wasn't valid anymore! Obviously I like to check on how bands I've been involved with in the past are doing so it's a worry that they're not in the line up... Anyone know anything?

Best of luck to Shotts in the 2nd section (I still miss the Shotts banter a great deal!), Bathgate, Newtongrange and KKB in the 1st section and Kirky, Kingdom and Bon-Accord in the top section!

Uncle Bryn
13.03.2009, 12:05
Just noticed that Clydebank aren't competing - I tried to send them a "good luck" message via their website, but got a reply saying it wasn't valid anymore! Obviously I like to check on how bands I've been involved with in the past are doing so it's a worry that they're not in the line up... Anyone know anything?

Best of luck to Shotts in the 2nd section (I still miss the Shotts banter a great deal!), Bathgate, Newtongrange and KKB in the 1st section and Kirky, Kingdom and Bon-Accord in the top section!

Not hear anything about Clydebank, hope it's just a blip.

fireborn
13.03.2009, 12:22
Not sure if it's true or not, but I heard that Clydebank Burgh are no more! Sad if it's true.

flugelgal
13.03.2009, 15:11
Not sure if it's true or not, but I heard that Clydebank Burgh are no more! Sad if it's true.

I hope not! Would be very sad. I talked to a member a few months ago who said they were building a new bandroom, so it could just be they don't have numbers to compete this year (which is also sad :(). They were the first band I ever competed with and I played with them for around 10 years.

johnmartin
13.03.2009, 16:55
I don't know the full story but I believe that the band were migrated to Helensburgh, though still called Clydebank. I think the band are not competing this year but are not defunct. There are still people in that organisation who hope to carry on the proud traditions of one of the original Scottish Champions. I wish them all the best of luck and hope to see them back on a healthy footing soon.

cornetcheese
13.03.2009, 20:41
That's really sad to hear - I was referred to a website www.clydebrass.co.uk, it appears they are still going...

I really hope they do keep the band going - it would be a real shame to lose such a famous name!!!

Borfeo
14.03.2009, 11:20
Sad that they are not competing but it may well be the making of them. It certainly looks like they are trying to create a sure footing for themselves again, which can only be applauded.

One week, I'm so excited I am fit to burst (Or maybe I'm just fat!)

See you all there!

ydna36
17.03.2009, 10:41
Well... how can I put it? It's cack! Too big for any normal band to cope with, dead as a dodo and no facilities to speak of. Last time we played there and came off stage at stupid o'clock the outer hall area was like the marie celeste cos the food bit had shut a good couple of hours before and the bar was closed too. I know contests have a "wonderful" habit of over-running but that was just depressing. Wonder if SBBA have sorted that yet? Doubt it! Given its city centre location we had a fair hike to try and find something to eat and drink.

And like Brian says it involves a lot of lugging of stuff up many flights of stairs from the bus (while ur driver is getting yelled at for being stopped for too long by some jobs worthy steward type).

Why can't we go back into the lovely Perth Concert hall with the stovies and a stage you can actually hear stuff on? Don't tell me..... it's too expensive???:confused:

Are you joking?? I can't comment on the bar and food facilities in the hall because i wasn't there, but the Caird Hall is right in the middle of Dundee City Centre, within a maximum of 2 minutes walk to a large selection of bars and restaurants! Theres a shopping centre right accross the road!!

Your giving people wrong information.

And as far as the warm up room situation goes, you should feel lucky that you get one at all. If you came to the North West you don't get any warm up space, if you want to warm up at all, you go outside.

No hall is perfect for a band contest, as they are such big events, but you can do alot worse than the Caird Hall. Don't take it for granted or it'll be moved to some really rubbish hall and you'll wish you were back in Dundee.

DMBabe
17.03.2009, 21:58
Are you joking?? I can't comment on the bar and food facilities in the hall because i wasn't there, but the Caird Hall is right in the middle of Dundee City Centre, within a maximum of 2 minutes walk to a large selection of bars and restaurants! Theres a shopping centre right accross the road!!

Your giving people wrong information.

And as far as the warm up room situation goes, you should feel lucky that you get one at all. If you came to the North West you don't get any warm up space, if you want to warm up at all, you go outside.

No hall is perfect for a band contest, as they are such big events, but you can do alot worse than the Caird Hall. Don't take it for granted or it'll be moved to some really rubbish hall and you'll wish you were back in Dundee.

No I'm not!! You are right, you weren't there!! We came off stage (after 8pm I might add) and couldn't find anywhere to get sit in food and drink nearby without a wait and by the time we came off all the local bars were packed with the Saturday night crowd so the usual nowhere to sit and eat came into play. Ended up with MacDonalds type takeaway or nothing. Was slightly easier during the day (although there was the fight with shopping bags) but after we came off it was a different game altogether! Doesn't help that like I mentioned earlier everything in the hall was closed and we weren't even the last band on!!! At least every other hall we've been at has had food of sorts and a bar open till after the contest has finished!!! I find a big bar and food area at a contest helps people mix and it gives people a more central area to meet up, which the Caird was seriously lacking! And at no point did I complain about the warm-up room! I'm not bothered about where it is but would be concerned about peoples backs!!

Like I said previously the hall in Perth is as near perfect as I've seen, decent facilitlies, location and a hall that doesn't make you feel like you're sitting on your own. It's a band contest not a solo contest!

Aurora771
18.03.2009, 00:26
I quite like the Caird Hall, where it's situated etc. Although I've never had the experience of waiting around until 8-9pm after playing to try to find food.

I haven't played in the Caird Hall since the last time the Scottish Championships were there (2005 maybe?), I forget.. was it a ringy or dead hall. Due to it being a fairly large hall, I'd have to guess ringy, but I can't really remember. (Or was it more echoey than ringy? lol)

brassneck
18.03.2009, 07:34
I quite like the Caird Hall, where it's situated etc. Although I've never had the experience of waiting around until 8-9pm after playing to try to find food.

I haven't played in the Caird Hall since the last time the Scottish Championships were there (2005 maybe?), I forget.. was it a ringy or dead hall. Due to it being a fairly large hall, I'd have to guess ringy, but I can't really remember. (Or was it more echoey than ringy? lol)

It's a fantastic orchestral hall, one of the best acoustics in Scotland for that purpose. However, because of it's shape, brass bands sound more diffuse the further back you listen in the hall.

DMBabe
18.03.2009, 08:21
It's a fantastic orchestral hall, one of the best acoustics in Scotland for that purpose. However, because of it's shape, brass bands sound more diffuse the further back you listen in the hall.

I don't know why it doesn't work but it just doesn't? Played there with orchestras a few times and it was grand but with a band the sound just falls out the end of your bell and hits the deck, which means hearing more than your immediate neighbours is somewhat of a challenge. Have no idea what it sounds like from the audience...... i blame the late draws! :dunno

Tony Toon
18.03.2009, 09:43
I don't know why it doesn't work but it just doesn't? Played there with orchestras a few times and it was grand but with a band the sound just falls out the end of your bell and hits the deck, which means hearing more than your immediate neighbours is somewhat of a challenge. Have no idea what it sounds like from the audience...... i blame the late draws! :dunno

The Caird Hall is used regularly for commercial recordings by both the RSNO and BBC Scottish because of it's acoustic. That might suggest that the optimum spot for listening to a performance is fairly central and not too far back. It is a huge hall and so the sound will be very diffused way back. As regards the lonely feeling for individual performers, I take it you have never - yet - had the opportunity of playing in the Albert Hall. Believe me it is a much more intimidating personal experience for exactly the same reason so try to get used to the experience, it might prove useful in the future.

Tony

Les Wood
18.03.2009, 13:26
I like Caird Hall - thought it was a great place to play (though I guess since we won there last time I might be biased!). Can confirm the Albert Hall thing too - makes you think you've come in a bar early at the start cos you can't hear anyone else but yourself; very unnerving!

DMBabe
18.03.2009, 17:54
The Caird Hall is used regularly for commercial recordings by both the RSNO and BBC Scottish because of it's acoustic. That might suggest that the optimum spot for listening to a performance is fairly central and not too far back. It is a huge hall and so the sound will be very diffused way back. As regards the lonely feeling for individual performers, I take it you have never - yet - had the opportunity of playing in the Albert Hall. Believe me it is a much more intimidating personal experience for exactly the same reason so try to get used to the experience, it might prove useful in the future.

Tony

Have played there too but again with an Orchestra. Don't remember it being that traumatic? Maybe I've blocked it out? Seems that bands and orchestras have different acoustic requirements?

Mind you just as well I have no plans to play at the Albert Hall with a band any time soon...... or ever??? ;)

bbg
18.03.2009, 21:17
No plans to play at the RAH soon, Di? A good performance on Saturday, you're in 1st Section, a good performance next March, up to Champ Section.........win that and you could be off to Kensington come September 2011....or barely 45 minutes playing time away??

We can all dream I suppose..........

DMBabe
18.03.2009, 22:16
No plans to play at the RAH soon, Di? A good performance on Saturday, you're in 1st Section, a good performance next March, up to Champ Section.........win that and you could be off to Kensington come September 2011....or barely 45 minutes playing time away??

We can all dream I suppose..........

Dream? More of a raging recurrent psychotic sweat + vomit inducing nightmare!!!! :eek:

bbg
18.03.2009, 22:24
So you don't fancy London, then?

Black Dyke......Cory..........Foden's..........Dalkeith & Monktonhall.........Grimethorpe...........???!

Aurora771
18.03.2009, 22:54
Haha. It would be nice just to get down to London to listen! Every year I say I'll go down.. and I never do. *sigh* One day perhaps...

McChambo
19.03.2009, 09:29
So you don't fancy London, then?

Black Dyke......Cory..........Foden's..........Dalkeith & Monktonhall.........Grimethorpe...........???!

Difficult to seperate the top 5.

Dark horse: Shergar.

bbg
19.03.2009, 19:55
The flugel players might make that vital difference then.....?

DMBabe
20.03.2009, 01:15
Well that's us royally stuffed then!!! Might as well stick to what I do best at contests.....:guiness(always after playing of course)!!!!

The-Wee-Timpanist
20.03.2009, 12:05
Well, I wasn't keen on going this year... until spending last night in the pub - sober! (driving as always) and now I have a small inkling of excitement building in me. We leave at half 3 today for Dundee. You'll find us in the Hilton :)

GC.
20.03.2009, 18:15
All the best to the Scottish 1st section bands playing Pentacle this weekend. Sorry I canít be there, but Iím attending the L&SC regionals on the same day.

Good luck!
:)

DMBabe
20.03.2009, 22:07
Well, I wasn't keen on going this year... until spending last night in the pub - sober! (driving as always) and now I have a small inkling of excitement building in me. We leave at half 3 today for Dundee. You'll find us in the Hilton :)

As usual you'll find us in some random church hall then later in some random pub!!:guiness

Good luck to everyone!!!

Anno Draconis
20.03.2009, 22:46
Best wishes to all the 3rd section bands tackling The Once and Future King this weekend - sorry I can't be there (mixture of rehearsals for Tameside next week, and family commitments), but I'll be keeping a close eye on the results :tup

bbg
20.03.2009, 23:00
Off for some beauty sleep (!!) shortly - decent rehearsal tonight, back on Eflat bass after 3 weeks on Bflat , as our principal Eflat is ill and the "reserve" is a Bflat player - banding can be a very "moving" experience.

All the best to everyone taking part - may even meet the famous DMBabe and The Wee Timpanist tomorrow!

NWS - yee-ha! (as they don't say in Dundee...........)

flugelgal
20.03.2009, 23:24
Good luck everyone, I'll be thinking of you!

The-Wee-Timpanist
21.03.2009, 23:34
Off for some beauty sleep (!!) shortly - decent rehearsal tonight, back on Eflat bass after 3 weeks on Bflat , as our principal Eflat is ill and the "reserve" is a Bflat player - banding can be a very "moving" experience.

All the best to everyone taking part - may even meet the famous DMBabe and The Wee Timpanist tomorrow!

NWS - yee-ha! (as they don't say in Dundee...........)

Indeed we did meet today! Thank you again for letting us swap toys!

Have to say disagree with your result, didn't think you deserved last from what I could hear at the stage door. You deserved better!

Really didn't expect to come 2nd today. Don't think it has really sunk in.

bbg
22.03.2009, 08:29
Can I just make it clear that the "toys" referred to were a car hooter and a splash cymbal......!!

Thanks for the kind words, Rachel. We are pretty down to say the least - one band will always finish last on the day, first time it's happened to us in years (only the 2nd time in our 30-year history) but hard to take. Had a quick look at the gradings, which confirm our relgation - had City of Discovery finished 10th.............but they came 5th no less so down we go along with Kilmarnock who did not compete yesterday.

The galling thing is that neither set of adjudicator's comments were really critical - "good sounds" "well balanced" "excellent flugel" "well done soloists" etc , just some pointers re speeds and odd tuning issues. One chap said we took the first movement at 160 against marked 140 - eh??? We canny play that fast, honest!!

Oh and a big "thank you" - not - to the registration official who told our young perc player that she "wasn't allowed to take the car hooter on stage" - much running around ensued involving getting the contest secretary along to rule - turns out that a previous band had intended to have a brass player doing some perc effects, the guy had therefore made 2+2=25 and told our wee lass off for darng to be caught in possession of a "banned" instrument. Boosted her confidence no end, that did.

On a positive note, a huge well done to both Annan and Arbroath - no only was Rachel helpful as previously mentioned, but the Annan guys and girls seem like a great bunch who enjoyed their moment with great humour. Tough again on Tullis - 3rd after 4th last year.
Also pleased for Coalburn in the 3rd Section - if ever a band deserved promotion for sheer consistency it's them, and also good to see Dunfermline earning a trip south as well.

Tubah
22.03.2009, 08:52
Big up to the Shanks posse at Annan.:clap:

Where did that come from was the cry in the Bell last night.
Answer it came from the Bell! ( which is where they practice)

As Euphjam said last night. "Take the bad times but make ****** sure you celebrate the good!" That was just before I dropped him home at half one minus his voice and his Mothers Day Brownie points.

Better dust my kilt down for Harrogate AGAIN!!!!!!

Well done to the other qualifiers with a special mention for Gareth Bowman not a bad day at the office.

Now where is my Aunty Betty's loyalty card, knew it was a shrewd investment.

H:cool:

The-Wee-Timpanist
22.03.2009, 10:44
Oh and a big "thank you" - not - to the registration official who told our young perc player that she "wasn't allowed to take the car hooter on stage" - much running around ensued involving getting the contest secretary along to rule - turns out that a previous band had intended to have a brass player doing some perc effects, the guy had therefore made 2+2=25 and told our wee lass off for darng to be caught in possession of a "banned" instrument. Boosted her confidence no end, that did.

On a positive note, a huge well done to both Annan and Arbroath - no only was Rachel helpful as previously mentioned, but the Annan guys and girls seem like a great bunch who enjoyed their moment with great humour. Tough again on Tullis - 3rd after 4th last year.

I hope you will put an official complaint in, I certainly am about the Premier timps. I can't tune the timps at the best of times but, to have to do it in 3 minutes. I came off that stage feeling very close to tears! It was an absolute joke! :mad: Put a really dampner on my day even with our result.

Who was the "official" that said no to the horn? The guy at the stage door collecting registration cards?

You kept us going while you were in your rehearsal as we stood outside in the hallway listening to you and singing along! :lol: The third movement is catchy. Hope you didn't hear us!

bbg
22.03.2009, 11:42
I hope you will put an official complaint in, I certainly am about the Premier timps. I can't tune the timps at the best of times but, to have to do it in 3 minutes. I came off that stage feeling very close to tears! It was an absolute joke! :mad: Put a really dampner on my day even with our result.

Who was the "official" that said no to the horn? The guy at the stage door collecting registration cards?

You kept us going while you were in your rehearsal as we stood outside in the hallway listening to you and singing along! :lol: The third movement is catchy. Hope you didn't hear us!

The carry-on about the hooter happened at the registration desk - our girl just happened to have the thing in her hand as she approached the desk.

But an official complaint will definitely follow now.........

"....band number 10 would like to complain most strongly about band number 11 who sang the third movement , half a tone flat and at varying speeds, out in the corridor when we were warming up, thereby putting all of us sensitive souls off..........!!!

Seriously , well done again Annan, and sorry for calling you Rachel, Rachael, in my earlier post!

Aurora771
22.03.2009, 12:47
Congratulations to Coalburn and Dunfermline for their results yesterday! I'm sure you'll do us proud in Harrogate. Coalburn played before my band and they sounded impressive in the warm-up room.

Also congrats to Arbroath and Annan. Sadly I missed the winning performance... (too busy trying to make out the handwriting in our bands crit!) I'm trying to convince my band to buy the piece, it sounded like good fun!

brassneck
22.03.2009, 21:52
I'm just back from what was a very interesting day in Dundee. Apart from the prizewinners, I want to say a big congratulations to David James who won the Excellence Award from the Butlins Contest organisers. Sorry we only had the briefest of moments together (... well, I actually listened to ALL the competing bands today! :eek:)

ydna36
22.03.2009, 23:09
Well Done Arbroath!!! Back at the Nationals, good luck!
Back in the 1st section where you belong.

your dedicated fan from Faireys

Andrew

Gaz5
23.03.2009, 08:11
Well done Bon-Accord! Another sound result yesterday. I listened to all 10 bands and the order of result was pretty much as I predicted, only I had Kingdom 4th & Bon-Accord 5th. Sorry Bon-Accord! It was a great piece to listen to, but what did surprise me was the noticable difference in quality of the top 5 and bottom 5. Usually it can be a bit of a lottery after the top 3, but this piece certainly certainly left bands with no place to hide. Congratulations to SBBA for a great event.

Les Wood
23.03.2009, 19:59
Many congratulations to Kirkintilloch Kelvin and Chic Keenan - what a superb win!!

floral_dance
23.03.2009, 22:09
yeah what a result 5 clear points ahead of the second placed band...really pleased for Chic and well done to the band

Moy
25.03.2009, 22:43
Well Done Arbroath!!! Back at the Nationals, good luck!
Back in the 1st section where you belong.

your dedicated fan from Faireys

Andrew

Yeh Andrew great result for Mike and the band. So pleased for them all.

DMBabe
27.03.2009, 00:21
Am I the only one who can't figure out why 4bars rest have every section's retro up except the 2nd even though we were the 2nd section on out of the 5 of the weekend? I know they probably think its more important to get the top 2 sections online from the sunday because apparently more people will be interested in them, but in reality who really reads them except for those who competed?

Conspiracy theory time........ they have't had time to make it up yet? ;)

PeterBale
27.03.2009, 00:39
Do you know who was covering the 2nd section? The reason for asking is that we are all in differnet situations when it comes to opportunities for writing up after events like these. I was fortunate in being able to get my retrospectives written up at work on Sunday and Monday, and emailed to Iwan on Monday afternoon. If whoever was doing your write-up was also involved on the Sunday, then that's one day tied up, and they may well have to fit it in whilst trying to earn an honest crust ;)

The-Wee-Timpanist
27.03.2009, 08:50
Am I the only one who can't figure out why 4bars rest have every section's retro up except the 2nd even though we were the 2nd section on out of the 5 of the weekend? I know they probably think its more important to get the top 2 sections online from the sunday because apparently more people will be interested in them, but in reality who really reads them except for those who competed?

Conspiracy theory time........ they have't had time to make it up yet? ;)

It's up now... slightly disappointing because there isn't much said about us. My excitement bubble has been burst! :-?

Euphjam
27.03.2009, 10:18
It's up now... slightly disappointing because there isn't much said about us. My excitement bubble has been burst! :-?

I'm afraid it all looks like a bit of an after-thought in our case,all very vague and no detail about any part in particular.:( Maybe the writer needed a toilet stop when we played;) as you say a little disappointing after waiting all week to hear, especially as the adjudicator's crits enthused so much about the detail displayed.:D

Borfeo
27.03.2009, 17:11
Truly the most awful write up out of the lot, it's like they just guessed what the bands were like. Extremely disappointed, especially when the rest of the retros are excellent in presentation and content.

FlugelD
27.03.2009, 17:22
Truly the most awful write up out of the lot, it's like they just guessed what the bands were like. Extremely disappointed, especially when the rest of the retros are excellent in presentation and content.

I notice that the other retrospectives are 'signed', but this one isn't. Different author, for some reason?

bbg
27.03.2009, 19:48
Reckon so, Derek.................spotted a well known brass band journalist / editor chappie appearing in the balcony with a laptop 2 minutes before results announced - possibly fresh from a wee chat with the men from the box backstage?
Bits and bobs about some bands, the bottom 4 being dismissed in a single sentence.
I'm not complaining about our 11th place - we can only accept the placing with the same grace as we did 2nd place two years ago - but to be told that the piece was apparently beyond us is frankly insulting. Insulting to our MD and in particular to the incredibly hard working group of teenagers, several contesting for the very first time, who rose to the challenge of 2nd Section banding. Would some of these folks be motivated to be told that they had effectively wasted everyone's time?
Incidentally, neither crit suggested that we struggled - we were essentially marked down for tempi / style disagreements with the two wise men.

FlugelD
28.03.2009, 00:56
Incidentally, neither crit suggested that we struggled - we were essentially marked down for tempi / style disagreements with the two wise men.

Personally, in (removes socks, counts...) 30 odd years of contesting (I've got lots of toes :rolleyes:) I've been on the wrong end of crits where the band played well, but the interpretation didn't meet expectations - annoying, but that's life. And also where the interpretation was apparently spot on, but the band didn't deliver stylewise... so it goes.

The man/men in the box deliver an opinion, and in our case, in one important area, they differed - we came fourth, and, given the slips, can't complain. (Much ;)) We could/should have been better, but we weren't - bottoms will be kicked. (And well done to Coalburn - and renegade KT :biggrin:, Dunfermline and Renfrew :clap: )

And next year, it's our turn... :)

Al
29.03.2009, 11:12
I'm North West England but I was just wondering - how many of Tartan Brass from last year's Saddleworth Whit Friday Marches will be going down to Harrogate?
Youtube clip of Delph 2008:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bVW1HrRwuY8

Hopefully some of you will be at Saddleworth again this year to get acclimatised before Harrogate!

Aurora771
29.03.2009, 14:55
To my knowledge I don't think many of the Tartan Brass people who were there last year are going to Harrogate this year (please correct me if I'm wrong). However, Tartan Brass 2008 I believe quite a lot of the people who went their bands were in Harrogate 2008. I sadly missed out on the 2008 outing due to it being in May and I had exams... I was there in 2007 though! :biggrin:

Euphjam
29.03.2009, 16:48
I was there in 07 and 08 with Tartan Brass and have every intention of returning this year to "acclimatise" as you put it. My band were in Harrogate in 2008 and will be returning this year.

I think i now have shift cover for the Whits and will be signing up ASAP. BEER ME!

brassneck
29.03.2009, 17:22
.................spotted a well known brass band journalist / editor chappie appearing in the balcony with a laptop 2 minutes before results announced - possibly fresh from a wee chat with the men from the box backstage?

The guys representing 4BR on the day are well known in Scotland, one of them travelling up North to cover the weekend. All are quite astute in their opinions/judgements and reliable from one contest to another. It must be remembered that they were only summarising the sections and not giving a blow by blow account. I must agree with their comments about Barrhead's position in the 1st Section. I couldn't understand why they were placed second last.

bbg
29.03.2009, 21:48
The guys representing 4BR on the day are well known in Scotland, one of them travelling up North to cover the weekend. All are quite astute in their opinions/judgements and reliable from one contest to another. It must be remembered that they were only summarising the sections and not giving a blow by blow account. I must agree with their comments about Barrhead's position in the 1st Section. I couldn't understand why they were placed second last.

Agreed that they were "summarising" - for all sections bar the Second there were comments on each band and a real sense of the writer having "been there". As Derek already noted, the Second Section article wasn't "signed", and it was in a completely different style to the rest - have a look at last years' report (and the year before's for a couple of other SectionS) for the same section and see if you can spot the trait here..........the words "cut" and "paste" (pausing only to insert band names as appropriate) come to mind. I am saddened that 4BR appear to have let their own standards drop in the case of one retro out of the whole weekend.

DMBabe
29.03.2009, 22:19
Agreed that they were "summarising" - for all sections bar the Second there were comments on each band and a real sense of the writer having "been there". As Derek already noted, the Second Section article wasn't "signed", and it was in a completely different style to the rest - have a look at last years' report (and the year before's for a couple of other SectionS) for the same section and see if you can spot the trait here..........the words "cut" and "paste" (pausing only to insert band names as appropriate) come to mind. I am saddened that 4BR appear to have let their own standards drop in the case of one retro out of the whole weekend.

:clap::clap::clap::clap:

brassneck
29.03.2009, 22:48

Maybe Rob (... he penned the other sections on 4BR) can explain what happened when time he next visits tMP?

brassneck
29.03.2009, 23:33
Maybe Rob (... he penned the other sections on 4BR) can explain what happened when time he next visits tMP?

:oops: ... oops! Above should have read ... The next time Rob visits tMP, he might offer an explanation to clear things up for you!

ignore me
30.03.2009, 09:55

Yeah it was a tough one to take! We didn't really play our best and although I only heard 2 other bands I felt we had done enough for a decent result (although as 4br said not really in the mix for the prizes). We've got a pretty shocking record with Kevin Wadsworth which is a shame because most people seem to like him!

Unfortunately with the new grading rules it looks like we'll be in the second section next year, actually it looks like it's the bottom two in each section being demoted. Kind of defeats the purpose of using 3 years results.

Not to sound completely negative - the best part of the day for me was Bon Accord's performance. Well played and not too loud (pretty important for the Caird hall).

johnmartin
30.03.2009, 10:31
Unfortunately with the new grading rules it looks like we'll be in the second section next year, actually it looks like it's the bottom two in each section being demoted. Kind of defeats the purpose of using 3 years results.Barrhead would still be going down even with the old grading system. They would have finished equal on points with Bathgate but Bathgate finished above Barrhead in Dundee so they would have stayed up. It is a hard one to take and I wish you all well as you fight to come back up. If its any consolation, from what I heard you shouldn't be in the section long and there's always the incentive of a trip to Harrogate to work towards.

ignore me
30.03.2009, 10:55
Yup - just noticed my mistake there! Anyway I don't think we can finish 8th and 9th in the space of 3 years and expect to stay up. Even if the 9th was unexpected.

I'll go back to blaming the adjudicator then (kidding of course!)

These grading "weights" do seem to have been plucked out of the air though. Are they based on any sort of quantitative results or just someones idea. I'm all for weighting the gradings towards more recent results but seeing that i'm a bit of a geek with scientific/ maths background i'm always going to wonder about this!

delboy822
20.09.2009, 22:44
hehe, i just noticed what you said about me being a renegade Derek ;)

slightly sad not to be going down to the nationals next weekendwith coalburn... but happy to be back home with St David's :)