PDA

View Full Version : Sibelius question - font sizes

MoominDave
05.07.2008, 01:38
I've just spent the evening putting the finishing touches to a brass band arrangement of Ravel's 'Le tombeau de Couperin' in Sibelius. It's been a long evening, and I'm tired now, and I've run aground on the last problem - I want to create a title page that doesn't suck.

I've created an empty page at the start by hiding the staves, but all the text options available (I am using Sib 2.1) are far too small to be effective, and I cannot find any way of altering the font size within Sibelius. I even tried typing the text in a larger font in MS Word, then copying it over, but Sibelius overrules the font size when you exit the text box.

Any ideas?

Hells Bones
05.07.2008, 04:29
Make one in powerpoint?

It's what I did till I got sib4

mikelyons
05.07.2008, 07:15
Unfortunately, I never got Sib 2 as it was too clunky for what I needed at the time. Is there an option like the one that lets you set the relative font size in Sib 3 and 4?

brassneck
05.07.2008, 09:58
I've just spent the evening putting the finishing touches to a brass band arrangement of Ravel's 'Le tombeau de Couperin' in Sibelius

- have you done the whole suite? (because (http://www.sibeliusmusic.com/cgi-bin/show_score.pl?scoreid=125836))

MoominDave
05.07.2008, 10:59
Hah! You spotted him coming out of copyright too?

Yes, I have done the whole suite, with the exception of the Fugue, which wouldn't work very easily.
I can't see your version of the Prelude :( because I can only install an old version of Scorch on my Windows 98 PC, and it won't load using that... I'll try the XP laptop later.

brassneck
05.07.2008, 11:03
Hah! You spotted him coming out of copyright too?

Yes, I have done the whole suite, with the exception of the Fugue, which wouldn't work very easily.
I can't see your version of the Prelude :( because I can only install an old version of Scorch on my Windows 98 PC, and it won't load using that... I'll try the XP laptop later.

The Prelude ditty I did is not for the faint of heart. It's still needing a bit of tweaking though! I used the piano part whilst listening to Ravel's later orchestration.

MoominDave
05.07.2008, 11:08
My version neither. I left the Prelude until last because it presented something of a scoring challenge... I too worked from the piano part, bearing his orchestration in mind (probably less in mind than you did) - the most sensible way to do it, I think.

Mike - I'm not familiar with later Sib versions, so I don't know where that feature might be lurking. I haven't found anything that lets me explicitly deal with the font size in Sib 2.

HB - how do you insert a powerpoint slide?

MoominDave
05.07.2008, 11:16
HB - how do you insert a powerpoint slide?

Scratch that, I've worked it out now.

brassneck
05.07.2008, 11:27
I'm not familiar with later Sib versions, so I don't know where that feature might be lurking. I haven't found anything that lets me explicitly deal with the font size in Sib 2.

If I remember back to Sib2, you should be able to customise text styles by using this route ... House Style>Edit Text Style (Ctrl+Shift+Alt+T). Select the category and alter font size. Creating new title pages, when you have already scored, is something I haven't tried. Another problem I would like to see resolved is being able to link separate scores into one but with a new page for the start of every movement. This is without creating a brand new score & copy-pasting previous efforts (... maybe I'm too lazy to work it out!).

brassneck
05.07.2008, 12:01
Yes, I have done the whole suite, with the exception of the Fugue, which wouldn't work very easily

I've just listened to the fugue ... I can hear why Ravel never bothered orchestrating it!