PDA

View Full Version : National Finals 2008 - Championship Test Piece : Concertino for Brass Band

Di
30.06.2008, 23:38
National Finals 2008
Championship Section Test Piece

Concertino for Brass Band
by Kenneth Downie

brassbandmaestro
01.07.2008, 08:44
Its the title of this test-iece, that annoys me slightly. I always thought that 'concertino', meant to say that it was a lighter form of the more substantial 'concerto'. Its a pity that the work had to be shortened for contest purposes. We may get a full recording of it soon, I hope; being by Kenneth Downie, be rather special.

slidegrease
01.07.2008, 09:00
Maybe (he speculates!) Mr Downie changed the title as he too was annoyed about having to shorten his piece to fit contest regulations.

Would you ask Van Gogh to chop the bottom off a painting to fit on your wall? I agree with what many others have now said in the previous thread, the music is the most important part of the contest and it is a huge dent in brass band credibility if the test piece has had to be altered for time constraints. Make the day longer or include fewer bands.

Anglo Music Press
01.07.2008, 09:49
Let's not be too precious about this. The Year of the Dragon was originally 4 movements and cut down to 3 for contest purposes. No-one seems to have missed the 4th movement!

If Mr Downie is happy to shorten his own piece, who are we to argue? If he thought the piece would be spoiled by shortening it, he could have always refused to do so.

Bayerd
01.07.2008, 09:54
Let's not be too precious about this. The Year of the Dragon was originally 4 movements and cut down to 3 for contest purposes. No-one seems to have missed the 4th movement!

If Mr Downie is happy to shorten his own piece, who are we to argue? If he thought the piece would be spoiled by shortening it, he could have always refused to do so.

Oh but they will now you've told 'em!;)

brassbandmaestro
01.07.2008, 10:03
4th movt to Year of the Dragon, Mr Sparke? I never knew that! Now everyone be asking can you make amends!! I always did think there was something missing in that compositionAlthough I do like it, especially the trombone solo, slow movement.

yorkie19
01.07.2008, 10:09
My understanding of concertino was that it was a short concerto, rather than a light piece of work. Therefore, logic would suggest that by removing a movement, and shortening the piece, the Concerto for Brass Band would become a Concertino for Brass Band?

It makes sense to me.

Anyway, I have to agree with Mr Sparke, if Kenneth Downie is happy to shorten his piece, who are we to argue. Surely, if he wasn't happy, we wouldn't have it as a test piece?

budstellabecks
01.07.2008, 12:53
4th movt to Year of the Dragon, Mr Sparke? I never knew that! Now everyone be asking can you make amends!! I always did think there was something missing in that compositionAlthough I do like it, especially the trombone solo, slow movement.

I may be totally wrong here but I'm sure I heard or read somewhere that the extra movement from YOTD was used within 'A London Overture' ?

Anglo Music Press
01.07.2008, 21:55
I may be totally wrong here but I'm sure I heard or read somewhere that the extra movement from YOTD was used within 'A London Overture' ?

You are totally right!

Iain Fleming
01.07.2008, 22:09
Excuse me guys for being the old cynic here (someone has to) but I can well imagine the conversation. Well Mr Downie shorten you work or we will use something else for the National Championship test piece at The Albert Hall.
Given the choice what would you do?
And another thing, does 12 minutes not seem a wee bit short for a major contest work?
I hope nobody takes my comments as criticism of either Kenneth Downie or his music because nothing could be further from the truth.
There is every chance I suppose this could be the best 12 minutes of brass music every written.
We will see.

Iain Fleming

Adamskied
02.07.2008, 00:03
You are totally right!

riginally Posted by budstellabecks

Which Part of London Overture?

Anno Draconis
02.07.2008, 11:24

:eek: Absolutely, the piece seems perfectly balanced as it is and is one of my absolute favourites - but maybe nobody missed the 4th movement because they've never had the chance to hear it. I'd be fascinated to hear more about this but we'll end up way off topic!

Certainly he could - although by doing so he would have denied himself the considerable kudos of having his music used for the finals in the RAH.

I'm the sure the shortened version of the piece will work perfectly well in its own right; Mr D wouldn't have put his name to it otherwise. My only problem with it is that the piece was great as it was, and the UK audience now won't get the chance to hear it in its entire original version. It's taken 20 years to get Prof. Gregson to write another contest work after the Of Men and Mountains fiasco, yet we haven't moved on from the same restrictions. The structure of the national finals in the top section belongs, imho, to a bygone era. I'd prefer less bands, more music from each band. But that's just me, I'm odd like that ;)

brassbandmaestro
02.07.2008, 12:02
Did'nt Edward Gregson have some irritation when The Natrionals Panel asked him for a shortened version of Trumpets of the Angels?

brassneck
09.07.2008, 16:06
Did'nt Edward Gregson have some irritation when The Natrionals Panel asked him for a shortened version of Trumpets of the Angels?

Don't you mean 'Of Men & Mountains'? :confused:

jonesbp
11.07.2008, 17:00
National Finals 2008
Championship Section Test Piece

Concertino for Brass Band
by Kenneth Downie

What a fantastic piece of music.
Well done Mr Downie - done yourself proud again.:clap:

iRyan
13.07.2008, 11:15
What a fantastic piece of music.
Well done Mr Downie - done yourself proud again.:clap:

Oh aye, has your band bought the score for it now then, or is there a recording that has been released?

Iain Fleming
22.09.2008, 17:01
I don't know if anyone has started reheasing "Concertino for Brass Band" but I'd be interested in their opinion. We have and I've got to say, the vibs are definitely negative. What a waste of three weeks of my life reheasing this junk. Sorry Mr Downie you get the thumbs down from me for this one!!

Iain Fleming
Whitburn Band

yorkie19
22.09.2008, 17:13
Excuse me guys for being the old cynic here (someone has to) but I can well imagine the conversation. Well Mr Downie shorten you work or we will use something else for the National Championship test piece at The Albert Hall.
Given the choice what would you do?
And another thing, does 12 minutes not seem a wee bit short for a major contest work?
I hope nobody takes my comments as criticism of either Kenneth Downie or his music because nothing could be further from the truth.
There is every chance I suppose this could be the best 12 minutes of brass music every written.
We will see.

Iain Fleming

I don't know if anyone has started reheasing "Concertino for Brass Band" but I'd be interested in their opinion. We have and I've got to say, the vibs are definitely negative. What a waste of three weeks of my life reheasing this junk. Sorry Mr Downie you get the thumbs down from me for this one!!

Iain Fleming
Whitburn Band

You really aren't enjoying this whole experience are you Iain ;)!

I have to say that the piece is really growing on me. I liked it enough at the start, but having played it through a few times, it is certainly up there with some of my other favourites (like The Maunsell Forts).

Speaking of which, can we have that for the Area test piece next year?

brassbandmaestro
22.09.2008, 17:33
I still cant understand why The Maunsell Forts did;nt go down so wel. Not the archtypal test piece I suppoe?

Iain Fleming
22.09.2008, 17:38
Sam, all I can say is you need to get out more. I have had the fortune of having played pieces recently like 'Rococo Variations' and 'Music for Battle Creek' both of which were enjoyable to rehearse. The listener is also an important factor in this and if we can't serve up better fair than this (as a movement) at major contests then the future is grim. Now after saying that, there may be a market for this type of brass music at festivals and the like but not the National Finals in the Albert Hall.

Iain Fleming

yorkie19
23.09.2008, 13:04
Sam, all I can say is you need to get out more. I have had the fortune of having played pieces recently like 'Rococo Variations' and 'Music for Battle Creek' both of which were enjoyable to rehearse. The listener is also an important factor in this and if we can't serve up better fair than this (as a movement) at major contests then the future is grim. Now after saying that, there may be a market for this type of brass music at festivals and the like but not the National Finals in the Albert Hall.

Iain Fleming

Iain, with 2 kids, I have no chance of getting out!

Anyway, joking aside, you are right, it is about serving up quality music to the listener at concerts and contests. It's also about testing the bands. For me, this piece achieves that.

I readily accept that not everyone will share my opinion, and given the almost universal reaction I've heard from my banding brethren to pieces like Prague and The Maunsell Forts, I wouldn't be surprised if I am in the minority again. However, I can only really call it as I see it, and as I said in my original post, this piece is growing on me at a rate of knots (or should that be notes?), both as a piece of music, and as a test-piece. The second movement, especially, I predict will produce some spine-tingling moments for the audience.

bassinthebathroom
23.09.2008, 13:19
Doubtful about how much of the semi-quaver detail the audience (and the 3 wise men) will hear in the RAH (Royal Aircraft Hanger), especially the 3rd movement. We've just started work on it, whilst I think the detail in the music is great, I'm not sure the hall will do it justice, regardless of the prestige of the contest. Time will tell...

jonesbp
23.09.2008, 14:05

Iain Fleming
Whitburn Band
All personal preference I suppose. Personally, it's really growing on me too. I must say that during the first few run throughs I wasn't as keen but once the intricacies of the piece started to come out and we strated to get to know the piece better I am thouroughly enjoying rehearsing it.

JR
09.10.2008, 12:44
Doubtful about how much of the semi-quaver detail the audience (and the 3 wise men) will hear in the RAH (Royal Aircraft Hanger), especially the 3rd movement. We've just started work on it, whilst I think the detail in the music is great, I'm not sure the hall will do it justice, regardless of the prestige of the contest. Time will tell...

I agree having heard it for the first time last night

1st movement sounds reminiscent of Bernstein's West Side Story Symphonic Dances with bits of Heaton (particularly his Toccata) thrown in - v difficult to pull off - needs a lot of drive at crotchet = 126

2nd movt again seems to have some American influence - some great sounds though I expected more in the solo lines e.g as in Contest Music

3rd movt doesnt seem to sit as well in the piece as the first 2 - feels like we are missing the extra movt

One consolation - at least it's not variations on a hymn tune....

John R

yorkie19
09.10.2008, 13:07
I agree having heard it for the first time last night

1st movement sounds reminiscent of Bernstein's West Side Story Symphonic Dances with bits of Heaton (particularly his Toccata) thrown in - v difficult to pull off - needs a lot of drive at crotchet = 126

2nd movt again seems to have some American influence - some great sounds though I expected more in the solo lines e.g as in Contest Music

3rd movt doesnt seem to sit as well in the piece as the first 2 - feels like we are missing the extra movt

One consolation - at least it's not variations on a hymn tune....

John R

John - give it time. The piece has really grown on me, to the extent that I am very much looking forward to Saturday. Everytime we have played it through, I'm finding something new in it. Bravo Mr Downie!

Roger Thorne
11.10.2008, 11:09
Interesting draw . . . .

Aveley and Newham, Nigel Taken, 15
Black Dyke, Dr. Nicholas Childs, 11
BTM Band, Philip Harper, 4
Carlton Main Frickley Colliery, Russell Gray, 20
Cory, Dr. Robert Childs, 14
Desford Colliery, Nigel Seaman, 19
East Yorkshire Motor Services, Frans Violet, 9
Fairey, Philip Chalk, 5
Fodens, Garry Cutt, 6
Grimethorpe Colliery, Allan Withington, 1
Kirkintilloch, Selmer Simonsen, 13
Leyland, Jason Katsikaris, 10
Mount Charles, Andrew Duncan, 8
Redbridge Brass, Jeremy Wise, 12
Reg Vardy, Allan Ramsay, 17
Rothwell Temperance, David Roberts, 16
SWT Woodfalls, Melvin White, 7
Tredegar, Ian Porthouse, 3
Virtuosi GUS, John Berryman, 18
Whitburn, Steven Mead, 2

courtesy of 4BR

;)

Bass Man
11.10.2008, 14:39
Best of luck to Reg Vardy and EYMS!!!!!

ian perks
11.10.2008, 15:04
Interesting draw . . . .

Black Dyke, Dr. Nicholas Childs, 11

Cory, Dr. Robert Childs, 14

Fairey, Philip Chalk, 5
Fodens, Garry Cutt, 6
Grimethorpe Colliery, Allan Withington, 1

courtesy of 4BR

;)
Yes with one of the Big Guns drawn number 1 funny how things turn around with Dyke number 1 at the Open now Grimethorpe Number 1 at National.
I fancy it to between Black Dyke,Cory& Fodens with Grimethorpe in the top 6 now the draw is out.
Keeping check on 4 Bars Rest today to see how the playing goes

Di
11.10.2008, 19:41
Results:

1. Black Dyke, Dr. Nicholas Childs, 11, 198
2. Fodens, Garry Cutt, 6, 197
3. Cory, Dr. Robert Childs, 14, 196
4. Carlton Main Frickley Colliery, Russell Gray, 20, 195
5. Fairey, Philip Chalk, 5, 194
6. Rothwell Temperance, David Roberts, 16, 193
7. Grimethorpe Colliery, Allan Withington, 1, 192
8. Leyland, Jason Katsikaris, 10, 191
9. East Yorkshire Motor Services, Frans Violet, 9, 190
10. Virtuosi GUS, John Berryman, 18, 189
11. Reg Vardy, Allan Ramsay, 17, 188
12. Whitburn, Steven Mead, 2, 187
13. Kirkintilloch, Selmer Simonsen, 13, 186
14. Aveley and Newham, Nigel Taken, 15, 185
15. Tredegar, Ian Porthouse, 3, 183
16. SWT Woodfalls, Melvin White, 7, 181
17. Redbridge Brass, Jeremy Wise, 12, 180
18. BTM Band, Philip Harper, 4, 179
19. Desford Colliery, Nigel Seaman, 19, 178
20. Mount Charles, Andrew Duncan, 8, 177

Best instrumentalist:
Glyn Williams, Euph, Fodens

Courtesy 4barsrest

And the predictions have been updated too so you can see how you've scored. ;)

Metoo
11.10.2008, 19:53
Congrats to all and well done Glynn, another trophy cabinet please!!!!!!

yoshi77
11.10.2008, 22:29
Results:

1. Black Dyke, Dr. Nicholas Childs, 11, 198
2. Fodens, Garry Cutt, 6, 197
3. Cory, Dr. Robert Childs, 14, 196
4. Carlton Main Frickley Colliery, Russell Gray, 20, 195
5. Fairey, Philip Chalk, 5, 194
6. Rothwell Temperance, David Roberts, 16, 193
7. Grimethorpe Colliery, Allan Withington, 1, 192
8. Leyland, Jason Katsikaris, 10, 191
9. East Yorkshire Motor Services, Frans Violet, 9, 190
10. Virtuosi GUS, John Berryman, 18, 189
11. Reg Vardy, Allan Ramsay, 17, 188
12. Whitburn, Steven Mead, 2, 187
13. Kirkintilloch, Selmer Simonsen, 13, 186
14. Aveley and Newham, Nigel Taken, 15, 185
15. Tredegar, Ian Porthouse, 3, 183
16. SWT Woodfalls, Melvin White, 7, 181
17. Redbridge Brass, Jeremy Wise, 12, 180
18. BTM Band, Philip Harper, 4, 179
19. Desford Colliery, Nigel Seaman, 19, 178
20. Mount Charles, Andrew Duncan, 8, 177

No way in this world were Tredegar 15th. I would have fought top 6 for definate - shows my lack of knowledge in this area!

Kiz7
11.10.2008, 23:00
No way in this world were Tredegar 15th. I would have fought top 6 for definate - shows my lack of knowledge in this area!

Did you hear all the bands Joshy? You usually are a fair judge but if you didn't hear them all perhaps thats why you had Tred in the top 6?

yoshi77
11.10.2008, 23:14
Did you hear all the bands Joshy? You usually are a fair judge but if you didn't hear them all perhaps thats why you had Tred in the top 6?
Missed 2 lol, Whitburn and Avevely and Newham - they definately deserved higher than 15th and the same goes for Leyland (10th)!

steve butler
12.10.2008, 00:02
Well done Frickley, especially the shed builders Ian and Marky boy.

emziesonic
12.10.2008, 00:19
Well done Dyke :tup but would like to say a big well done to Frickley who are getting back up there with the big bands!

towse1972
12.10.2008, 00:29
yes. Well done Frickley on your 4th place.

PeterBale
12.10.2008, 02:13
I didn't find it the most inspiring or memorable test piece, and it certainly seemed too short. Due to train problems we were late getting there, so missed the first three bands completely.

Of the bands we heard, no real quibbles with the results, although I thought Leyland could have come a little higher. Impressed with Carlton Main, and felt GUS produced some good stuff as well, particularly in the middle section - great to hear Ben Godfrey on the end, and to see James Fountain sitting 2nd man down.

The cornet chord at the end of the 2nd movement caused all sorts of problems, despite various ruses taken to help, as much for the Bb cornets as for the sop - interestingly enough, Kenneth Downie said in the Friday evening talk that his first thought was to leave the soprano to come in on his/her own, and maybe that could have been better ;)

Neat trombone and bass playing from most of the bands today.

IYOUNG
12.10.2008, 10:14
Bit of a dissapointment today , must admit

Congratulations to all the bands though thought the standard was good right down the results list.

Agreed about the test peice not the most inspiring and its been that way at RAH for a while for me.

Note to organisors, please please please take a look at what the team does at the Open in Birmingham, final note played ....results and on way home all within the half hour or so.

Yesterday not for the first time an utter shambles

Anyone know how much the Trumpeters get paid for their 15 seconds.......

brassbandmaestro
12.10.2008, 11:43
Good to see Dyke winning!! The Nationals as well. Well done!! Yes good to see bands like Carlton getting to the higher echelons of the score sheet again! Good reusults all round.

BarneyEuph
12.10.2008, 14:08
I didn't find it the most inspiring or memorable test piece, and it certainly seemed too short. Due to train problems we were late getting there, so missed the first three bands completely.

Of the bands we heard, no real quibbles with the results, although I thought Leyland could have come a little higher. Impressed with Carlton Main, and felt GUS produced some good stuff as well, particularly in the middle section - great to hear Ben Godfrey on the end, and to see James Fountain sitting 2nd man down.

The cornet chord at the end of the 2nd movement caused all sorts of problems, despite various ruses taken to help, as much for the Bb cornets as for the sop - interestingly enough, Kenneth Downie said in the Friday evening talk that his first thought was to leave the soprano to come in on his/her own, and maybe that could have been better ;)

Neat trombone and bass playing from most of the bands today.

Heard all the main contenders apart from Grimethorpe (Full English at Toddington Services made us late....)

Also agree with the results and that Leyland could of come higher...They were only one of a few to pull off the last chord at the end of the 2nd movement.

G.U.S. did the Midlands proud and could of been placed higher on a different day. Commendable performance and again the 2nd movement end chord and the exposed horn part in the third movement were handled well.

Even though the Dyke entry on the tough 2nd movement ending was not perfect, streets ahead on overall sound and musical performance... handled and brought out expertly by the conductor i thought.

Bungle
12.10.2008, 14:31
Can't complain about the top two placings but I have to agree with previous comments on the Leyland placing ,I really enjoyed their performance, very stylish but I guess it wasn't what the adjudicators were after. There was quite a gap between Grimethorpe and the other top three placed bands so it was difficult to compare them, but I thought Grimethorpe would have been placed higher. But hey what do I know, I could probably only manage the triangle part. Looked like an interesting Bb Bass part, any comments from the players? Also:clap: for sop player of I think Kirkintilloch after falling off the last note of the second section really went for it in the third movement.

davidquinlan
12.10.2008, 14:44
for sop player of I think Kirkintilloch after falling off the last note of the second section really went for it in the third movement.

I've never seen such an animated player, look liked he was sat on an electric chair :) ... took his applause at the end too...
Good example to anyone out there to keep on going... if you miss something... make the next note the best you've ever played!! (something I'll keep in mind next sunday in Folkstone... :) )

To be honest, I was surprised at the problems the final chord in 2nd movement caused some bands. It's not something I would have expected at this level. It seemed to me that some were almost trying too hard? {I've just set myself up here now I suspect?}

I did enjoy all performances I heard, the usual suspects as I would have expected. I did think Leyland's performance was up there too, but didn't hear carlton, rothwell or grimethope to compare.

I quite liked the piece too.

ian perks
12.10.2008, 15:06
Im really OVER THE MOON for Black Dyke & Nick Childs its great to see DYKE ON TOP SPOT AGAIN.
Im looking forward to hearing them at Derngate Thearte at Northampton on 25th October(My Birthday ) in concert+when i have a weeks holiday in Yorkshire of that week
Finally:
GREAT TO SEE DYKE BACK AT THE TOP AT NATIONAL:clap::woo:woo:woo

Highams
12.10.2008, 17:39
Great result for Dyke, had Fairey's & Leyland much higher, GUS in the frame too.........just my thoughts.

Agree with the results/stage management fiasco etc. at the end, this bit of the contest is still in the dark ages!

CB

joshy
12.10.2008, 17:48
I've never seen such an animated player, look liked he was sat on an electric chair :) ... took his applause at the end too...
Good example to anyone out there to keep on going... if you miss something... make the next note the best you've ever played!! (something I'll keep in mind next sunday in Folkstone... :) )

I remember seeing him at the Europeans this year, did a great job and was the most interesting person to watch for the entire contest! Its great seeing someone getting into their part so much, made me really get into the music.

Wish I could have been there to watch but never mind, does anyone know what time the nationals CD will be available?

Josh

iRyan
12.10.2008, 19:34
:woo :woo :woo
Great weekend for us :biggrin:
Well done to the bands, I only manged to listen to BTM, Faireys and Fodens!

And that last note on the 2nd movement for sop is actually quite hard, from what I heard alot of bands blipped it, but to say it is that high and really quiet, no wonder!

Alyn James
12.10.2008, 19:57
[quote=IYOUNG;629311]
Note to organisors, please please please take a look at what the team does at the Open in Birmingham, final note played ....results and on way home all within the half hour or so.[quote]

:clap: I do the trip "up and back" in a day to see the contest.... I'd like to stay for the drama of the results but trains don't allow....now if the results were earlier.....

critic
12.10.2008, 22:16
Great result for Dyke, had Fairey's & Leyland much higher, GUS in the frame too.........just my thoughts.

Agree with the results/stage management fiasco etc. at the end, this bit of the contest is still in the dark ages!

CB

Compered to the open its shabby to many people wanting to hog the limelight.Wake up the contest is not what it used to be certainly not as good as the open

ydna36
12.10.2008, 23:06
Well done to Dyke.

Thanks to everyone who came to listen to us (Faireys), and thanks for the response we got for our performance. It was amazing! (the response) Hope you keep coming to support us.

eanto
12.10.2008, 23:31
Well done to Dyke.

Thanks to everyone who came to listen to us (Faireys), and thanks for the response we got for our performance. It was amazing! (the response) Hope you keep coming to support us.

I think Faireys performed a quality performance, very musical. Enjoyed it :clap:

I also agree that Black Dyke where a bit special too :) Bring on the next contest.

Ali
13.10.2008, 01:17
Thanks of all the kind words said about my band on this site. We thought we had played really well and are quite disappointed about the result, but thats banding! As usual I didn't hear anyone so I cant and wont comment on anyone else but I would like to congratulate all of the prize winners! A very big well done to Farieys and my mates At Carlton Main as well!

towse1972
13.10.2008, 02:37
Compered to the open its shabby to many people wanting to hog the limelight.Wake up the contest is not what it used to be certainly not as good as the open
Yes, but its the nationals! The one that really matters. Have you won it critic?

brassbandmaestro
13.10.2008, 10:07
Yep, Ian, couldn't agree more with that. I am soooo glad!! They didn't get good results, by their standards(!), so very pleased as well for them!

HornMaster
13.10.2008, 13:38
Congratulations to Dyke and great to see Faireys up at the top end of the results

bassinthebathroom
13.10.2008, 14:06
Missed 2 lol, Whitburn and Avevely and Newham - they definately deserved higher than 15th and the same goes for Leyland (10th)!
Cheers for the sentiment, but we did manage 2 higher than that (8th) :biggrin:
Like Al said, I didn't her any, save Woodfalls and Mt Charles on the TV in the dressing room (I'd been hoping to catch Cash in the Attic, but that's life)... (joking, before anyone starts...) so can't really comment on the result, but was happy with our performance, the audience's reception and the people who congratulated us in person outside the hall/in The Goat/on the street/in the Curry house etc. etc.
One result I can say I foresaw was my stomach after the hottest Dopiaza on planet Earth - I'm still suffering slightly 36 hours on... Light of India, Gloucester Road 1 - Leyland Band Formation Curry Eating Team 0 :p

chris turner
13.10.2008, 21:03
Congrats to all at Black Dyke. Well deserved win. From all at the Cory Band. Great night had by all.

critic
13.10.2008, 22:37
Yes, but its the nationals! The one that really matters. Have you won it critic?

i was talking about the presentation ceromony not the contest itself of course its a great one to win but ifeel the open is the biggestcrown. no i have not won it but that was not the point.keep enjoying playing towse

Anonymous_user
14.10.2008, 10:57
i was talking about the presentation ceromony not the contest itself of course its a great one to win but ifeel the open is the biggestcrown. no i have not won it but that was not the point.keep enjoying playing towse

Why is relevent that Critic has won the contest in order to comment????

I might be wrong Towse....have you?????

Well done to Black Dyke.

iaindrum
14.10.2008, 12:48
Well done Frickley, especially the shed builders Ian and Marky boy.

cheers steve, it was a great weekend and loved every min of it and was also a great result for mark to lose his albert hall V plates too.

Up the Frickley!!!!:clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:

swisscornet
14.10.2008, 13:27
Congrats to Black Dyke. Well done and well deserved.

I personally had Leyland much higher placed (especially the new principal impressed me).

I was also very suprised that so many sopranos struggeled with the last note in the 2nd movement (or used mutes).

critic
14.10.2008, 15:39
Why is relevent that Critic has won the contest in order to comment????

Well done to Black Dyke.

Thank you HoveEdge after all i was just pasing a opinon that i believe in

iRyan
14.10.2008, 18:39

Thankfully I was at the pub straight after our performance and didnt watch the presentation!

I thought though that even though it didnt have such a big crowd, playing at the albert hall was fantastic, and i was shocked when i looked up to (try) see the ceiling :tongue:

brassbandmaestro
14.10.2008, 19:09
Thankfully I was at the pub straight after our performance and didnt watch the presentation!

I thought though that even though it didnt have such a big crowd, playing at the albert hall was fantastic, and i was shocked when i looked up to (try) see the ceiling :tongue:

Although not having played in the RAH, I can well believe people about he sheer massiveness of the place. I dont usually use words like this but in this case it's quite awsome.

pixie
14.10.2008, 19:36

I think the point that Towse was trying to make here is fairly clear. However, if Mr Hove Edge needs it explaining to him..

If Critic had won, or even competed at, the contest he might be in a position to tell people to 'wake up' to the fact that the 'contest isn't what it used to be', and so flippantly discard the hard work that ALL of our country's best bands put into it, not only in preparation for the contest but several months earlier when they compete for the opportunity just to be there. The trip to London works out at loss for the vast majority of bands; even those that do come in the frame do not stand to gain financially. All there is to be gained is the chance to compete with the best bands from each region of that year (very little hanging on from past glories, as is sometimes the case with the Open), and a shot at earning the title 'National Champion Band of Great Britain'. The contest continuously attracts all the best bands despite the financial implications, and, to me, this seriously questions the notion that 'the contest is not what it used to be'.

So, Hove Edge, I don't think Towse was arguing over who has and who hasn't won the Nationals (!). Simply trying to put into perspective some rather flippant and badly thought out comments!!

critic
15.10.2008, 16:57
I think the point that Towse was trying to make here is fairly clear. However, if Mr Hove Edge needs it explaining to him..

If Critic had won, or even competed at, the contest he might be in a position to tell people to 'wake up' to the fact that the 'contest isn't what it used to be', and so flippantly discard the hard work that ALL of our country's best bands put into it, not only in preparation for the contest but several months earlier when they compete for the opportunity just to be there. The trip to London works out at loss for the vast majority of bands; even those that do come in the frame do not stand to gain financially. All there is to be gained is the chance to compete with the best bands from each region of that year (very little hanging on from past glories, as is sometimes the case with the Open), and a shot at earning the title 'National Champion Band of Great Britain'. The contest continuously attracts all the best bands despite the financial implications, and, to me, this seriously questions the notion that 'the contest is not what it used to be'.

So, Hove Edge, I don't think Towse was arguing over who has and who hasn't won the Nationals (!). Simply trying to put into perspective some rather flippant and badly thought out comments!!

i was not discarding the hard work that the bands put in and yes i have competed and yes it is still a great contest i was commenting on the result ceromony which i repeat was shabby but in my opinion it is not as good a contest as the open some may disagree some may agree but dont refer to my comments as flippant and basly thought out they are just my honest opinion wELL DONE TO ALL THE BANDS

Anonymous_user
16.10.2008, 10:37

Dear Pixie
Go back and read the post again. it said

"Why is relevent that Critic has won the contest in order to comment????

Well done to Black Dyke."

I was only asking why it is relevent to have won the contest to comment on it.

I dont need anything explaining to me !!!!!!!

Can I suggest you tell us your name before you accuse me of being flippant!!

Hove Edge
Simon Gresswell

Alyn James
16.10.2008, 13:31
This is arguing just for the sake of it....get a grip, mun!!!

pixie
16.10.2008, 14:47
Sorry if I have offended you Hove Edge, I think you've not really read my post properly. If you look at the first sentence of the second paragraph you'll see that it answers your first question (the reason as to why Towse may be questioning whether Critic had won the contest), and if you keep reading you'll also see that it was Critic I said was flippant in his comments, not yourself.

iRyan
16.10.2008, 17:59
Back on topic.. :roll:

DannyCollin
16.10.2008, 18:41
What difference does it make whether he's played in it or won it?? Or not??

towse1972
16.10.2008, 19:04
I asked a simple question Simon and it wasnt intended as an attack on anyone! Shall we get back on topic now?

dyl
16.10.2008, 21:17
Shall we get back on topic now?
Yes. Any further posts not directly linked to the contest will be removed on sight.

eanto
17.10.2008, 13:16
Although I thought the piece was great, I would have enjoyed a few musical 'hurdles' for the principal players. It was thinly scored in places, which was good, but you can't beat a good cornet/euph cadenza, or even from a trom!!

elkartian
19.10.2008, 12:33
i had a brill time and listened to all the bands i most enjoyed fairy,leyland,grimethorpe and gus band

who was playing principal cornet with fairy band it looked like a woman she was brilliant but there is no mention on fairy website of a girl principal?

i particularly enjoyed gus too with some of the best trombone playing of the day from chris jeans.
and superb euphonium and cornet from from ben godfrey and rob woods
welcome back gus for me should have been in prizes

leyland where awsome too i had them up there in top 3
my order of merit was(only my opinion) 1 fairey
2 leyland
3 gus
4 grimethorpe
5 cory
6 dyke

i didnt really like way richard marshall played on the day his vibrato was really wobbly same for brett baker sounding like frank berry with a really heavy vibrato too (again just my opinion) best principal cornets for me on the day are
1 fairy principal ? any idea who she was
2 gus ben godfrey
3 leyland nick walkley
4 grimethorpe roger webster

best trombone on day
1 chris jeans gus
2 chris thomas cory
3 richard brown grimethorpe
4 fodens player?

swisscornet
19.10.2008, 14:08
i had a brill time and listened to all the bands i most enjoyed fairy,leyland,grimethorpe and gus band

who was playing principal cornet with fairy band it looked like a woman she was brilliant but there is no mention on fairy website of a girl principal?

looked like Laura Hirst to me. I agree that she played brillantly. My favourite principal on the day was Nick Walkely from Leyland. That's what I call a true cornet sound.

Ben Godfrey played nicely as well, although he stumbled in one of the solos (as far as I can remember)

Here some other players which impressed me

Soprano Kirkintilloch (Steve Stewart)
Repiano Corys
Soprano Leyland
Soprano Black Dyke (Paul duffy)
Principal Carlton Main (Kirsty Abbotts)
Black Dykes Flugel/Horn Section
Black Dykes Dynamics (especially the quite ones (p, pp))

Biggest disappointments

most soprano players at the last note of the 2nd movement
Desford colliery Band
Grimethorpe Short concert
Royal Albert Halls bars/restaurants (closed very early)
small audience
result presentations
result presentations
result presentations

SoloBaritone
19.10.2008, 20:26
Yes, it was Laura Hirst playing top man for Faireys. Great player.

Jayne

ydna36
19.10.2008, 23:38
It was Laura Hirst who played principal for us. She stepped in for The Open and The Nationals, she is our repiano player. I agree though that she sounded fantastic. its also good to read of more people who enjoyed our performance. Thanks for the comments. The band have been working extremely hard, and we will continue to do so, and its great to hear that you guys are noticing. (makes them long rehearsals night after night worth it). Come see us at Brass In Concert!

brassbandmaestro
19.10.2008, 23:41
Good to see Fairey's up there again! how long ago now is it?

ydna36
20.10.2008, 00:18
They won the Nationals in 2002 and 2003. So its not been too long. With the kind of support that we got after our performance last weekend, we hope that we can get more results up that end of the board, so you guys keep cheering for us. Cya all in Gateshead

brassbandmaestro
20.10.2008, 09:50
Good luck in Gatehead.

Toddus
21.03.2009, 09:27
did anyone hear the end of Grimethorpe Collierys test. the Soprano blew the last note at about ffff, a bar early. as he did that, everyone scramled to there score to lock for wat happend and the band left of stage with there heads down. :oops: