PDA

View Full Version : National Finals 2008 - 2nd Section Test Piece : Rhapsodic Variations ...

Di
04.06.2008, 15:23
National Finals 2008
Second Section Test Piece

Rhapsodic Variations My Strength, My Tower
Dean Goffin, adapted by Brian Bowen
SP&S Ltd

John Brooks
04.06.2008, 17:27
I'm interested in the "adapted by Brian Bowen" reference. Brian, can you fill us in on how this version differs from the original?

AngW
04.06.2008, 23:19
There is a brief description of the differences on the Kapitol website !
http://www.kapitol.co.uk/f_tests.html

WorldofBrass.com
05.06.2008, 06:51
The Kapitol website also lists a couple of recommended recordings, by Yorkshire Building Society Band and The International Staff Band, albeit of the 'original' version.

I have been reminded that Enfield Citadel Band also recorded My Strength, My Tower. It appeared on a CD called Milestone which dates from 1996 (?) and an LP from 1979 (?) on which the piece was the title track.

fromTheShadows
05.06.2008, 09:39
Are any of the recordings likely to be going up on World of Brass Tunes, even as a 'full CD only' bundle?

WorldofBrass.com
05.06.2008, 09:51
Are any of the recordings likely to be going up on World of Brass Tunes, even as a 'full CD only' bundle?

Maybe the Enfield one from 1996, if the band allow us to sell it on their behalf.

fromTheShadows
05.06.2008, 10:22
Maybe the Enfield one from 1996, if the band allow us to sell it on their behalf.
Fingers crossed then, thanks very much.

Maestro
05.06.2008, 17:21
The Kapitol website also lists a couple of recommended recordings, by Yorkshire Building Society Band and The International Staff Band, albeit of the 'original' version.

I have been reminded that Enfield Citadel Band also recorded My Strength, My Tower. It appeared on a CD called Milestone which dates from 1996 (?) and an LP from 1979 (?) on which the piece was the title track.

Any chance of this one being re-released on CD at all?

GJG
06.06.2008, 14:09
Any chance of this one being re-released on CD at all?

It would be nice to have this recording at least from a historical perspective. As I remember it also included the "Redcliffe" March and also Goffin's "Crusaders" festival march, a particular favourite of mine. However, as I recall it was a recording of exceptionally poor quality (sound/engineering, I hasten to add, rather than performance), and although it's possible to digitally "tweak" these older recordings to some extent, I would have some doubt as to whether or not much could be done with this one, even assuming the original masters still existed.

tenorhorndavid
09.06.2008, 16:44
Listening to the piece i think it will be a good test for second section bands, especially cornet and euphonium players!!

Great piece though and a fine follow-up to rhapsody in brass!

Harboroughfox
11.06.2008, 06:56
Played it last night for the first time, very difficult for principal cornet and euph, you get about halfway through the cornet solo and think the hard bit's over and it comes back and gets you again! doh!!
Tough test for 2nd section but a crackin piece and will certainly sort em out.

Missy
14.09.2008, 16:13
Very quiet in here then!! ;) How are folk finding the piece now??

Kirstin
Johnstone Band

Harboroughfox
15.09.2008, 16:05
Yeah, love the piece, very difficult cornet solo but i'm getting there, also lots for euph to do.
Am enjoying working on it and it's so much better and harder than last years piece, which i can't even remember!
I would like to go and listen to a few on the day, but as a competitor refuse to pay 8 or whatever it is, as we're already getting ripped off at the hotel one way or another, anyway must go and practise, good luck.

JR
16.09.2008, 09:19

I find it rather odd that Kapitol are "recommending" recordings

If there are several on the market this puts them in a very debatable position regarding the ethics of the contest doesnt it?

JR

the shed builder
21.09.2008, 12:08
i have to say i really like this piece, really enjoying rehearsing it. think its a great test for the second section. good luck to all competing bands.:tup

animal.22
21.09.2008, 14:37
I dont think any of the perc parts are particularly taxing EXCEPT the xylo bit which thankfully I dont have to play.BUT,I must say that I think that it has been very badly planned with regard to actualy playing the individual instruments that the perc part demands.I get the feeling that whoever did this just decided to throw some stuff in without any thoughts to the actual logistics of it because they didn't realy know what to do with it.There are two or three pieces of equipment writen into all three parts with apparently no thought as to how the players are going to play each part.We certainly aren't going to have two concert basses and three tam tams on stage.
This may seem a bit nit picky to some of you but I believe it just goes to show the lack of thought that some arrangers have in their music!
Grump over.

hamish5322
21.09.2008, 19:35
Have to agree with you. A great piece and very difficult. One of those pieces that is a lot harder than it sounds. It will take a special band to produce the winning performance.

animal.22
22.09.2008, 11:13
Since my previous post,I have been given to understand that it was a Euph playerthat wrote/arranged the perc part for this piece :confused: Somebody please tell me what that is all about,didn't it occur to anyone that it might have been a VERY GOOD IDEA to get a percussionist to do that particular job. And before you all jump down my throat,I have no doubt that the said Euph player is very good in his own field and IF it turns out that he is a percussionist as well, then he should have known better.:ranting2:
Second grump over.

AND FINALLY Humble appologies if I have upset anyone but it realy has p&*%$D me off

WorldofBrass.com
22.09.2008, 12:40
Since my previous post,I have been given to understand that it was a Euph playerthat wrote/arranged the perc part for this piece :confused: Somebody please tell me what that is all about,didn't it occur to anyone that it might have been a VERY GOOD IDEA to get a percussionist to do that particular job. And before you all jump down my throat,I have no doubt that the said Euph player is very good in his own field and IF it turns out that he is a percussionist as well, then he should have known better.:ranting2:
Second grump over.

AND FINALLY Humble appologies if I have upset anyone but it realy has p&*%$D me off

I wasn't aware that Brian Bowen was a euphonium player. As a player, many would remember him as a very fine flugel horn player in The International Staff Band for many years.

As far as Brian's credentials to write percussion parts are concerned, I don't think you have any grounds to worry or indeed to be p&*%$D off as you put it. Brian has had many fine compositions published by The Salvation Army in the UK and USA. Brian has lived and worked in the USA for many years, latterly as a freelance composer, arranger and editor.
Prior to his emigration, Brian was an editor of the Eulenberg miniature scores, those small yellow books that you find all over the place.

the shed builder
22.09.2008, 17:06
I dont think any of the perc parts are particularly taxing EXCEPT the xylo bit which thankfully I dont have to play.BUT,I must say that I think that it has been very badly planned with regard to actualy playing the individual instruments that the perc part demands.I get the feeling that whoever did this just decided to throw some stuff in without any thoughts to the actual logistics of it because they didn't realy know what to do with it.There are two or three pieces of equipment writen into all three parts with apparently no thought as to how the players are going to play each part.We certainly aren't going to have two concert basses and three tam tams on stage.
This may seem a bit nit picky to some of you but I believe it just goes to show the lack of thought that some arrangers have in their music!
Grump over.
to add to your grump, just found out in the last rehearsal that the provided perc isnt to be moved at all ( the big stuff anyway) doesnt make things any easier when you have random instruments on each part! maybe i could grow more arms before sunday! or make the ones i have 6 feet longer. or maybe i could stop whining and get on with it! :eek:

BbBill
22.09.2008, 19:45
to add to your grump, just found out in the last rehearsal that the provided perc isnt to be moved at all ( the big stuff anyway) doesnt make things any easier when you have random instruments on each part! maybe i could grow more arms before sunday! or make the ones i have 6 feet longer. or maybe i could stop whining and get on with it! :eek:

And/or blame your secretary for not giving you the percussion info sheet earlier!!! ;)

We've got 5 percussionists, so hopefully everything should be covered in the piece!!!!

hamish5322
23.09.2008, 08:21
Who do you think will likely be the top three in this section? Must admit I haven't heard of some bands in this section.

animal.22
23.09.2008, 09:49
I wasn't aware that Brian Bowen was a euphonium player. As a player, many would remember him as a very fine flugel horn player in The International Staff Band for many years.

As far as Brian's credentials to write percussion parts are concerned, I don't think you have any grounds to worry or indeed to be p&*%$D off as you put it. Brian has had many fine compositions published by The Salvation Army in the UK and USA. Brian has lived and worked in the USA for many years, latterly as a freelance composer, arranger and editor.
Prior to his emigration, Brian was an editor of the Eulenberg miniature scores, those small yellow books that you find all over the place.
I dont doubt the mans credentials as a musician one bit but,as I said, he just doesn't seem to have given any thought to the logistics of playing the piece. As someone else has already said,they have FIVE players at the back to cover the perc piece.Surely that speaks volumes in itself!! As for him being a Euph player,perhaps I should have added "allegedly"

michellegarbutt
23.09.2008, 10:38
I was sent the percussion plan weeks ago. We have 4 players and we think we've managed to cover everything

BbBill
23.09.2008, 16:10
I dont doubt the mans credentials as a musician one bit but,as I said, he just doesn't seem to have given any thought to the logistics of playing the piece. As someone else has already said,they have FIVE players at the back to cover the perc piece.Surely that speaks volumes in itself!! As for him being a Euph player,perhaps I should have added "allegedly"

We probably dont need the 5 players to cover the percussion parts but we'll letting them all play something as its the National Finals. With 4 out of the 5 players under 16, its a good chance for them to be there and to take part. Last year at Harrogate we had to drop a 2nd baritone player for the line-up, so we gave her a part on percussion so she was still there and involved with the band.

bbg
23.09.2008, 19:17
All the best to Campbeltown in Harrogate, Willie - the latest step on what is becoming quite a journey through the Sections. Best wishes also to Johnstone, here's hoping for a couple of cracking placings for Scottish bands this weekend.

Parpers
23.09.2008, 21:55
The percussion parts are very badly scored!! but if you re-write the parts a little it can easly be played with three players.

the shed builder
24.09.2008, 14:32
And/or blame your secretary for not giving you the percussion info sheet earlier!!! ;)

We've got 5 percussionists, so hopefully everything should be covered in the piece!!!!
five percussionists?? they must be bored rigid!! ;) how did you manage to get them all?

the shed builder
24.09.2008, 14:34
We probably dont need the 5 players to cover the percussion parts but we'll letting them all play something as its the National Finals. With 4 out of the 5 players under 16, its a good chance for them to be there and to take part. Last year at Harrogate we had to drop a 2nd baritone player for the line-up, so we gave her a part on percussion so she was still there and involved with the band.
ah! didnt read this far down! you have answered my question!! makes sense, keeps everyone involved and gives the younger ones experience :tup

johnthedrum
24.09.2008, 15:30
can you play five percussion ?
is this legal?

michellegarbutt
24.09.2008, 15:39
yes it is. The rule says percussion as required. As the part was written for 3 and we wanted to play 4 I emailed Kapitol to clarify the meaning of this and the reply I got was that it was the amount of percussionists the conductor requires not the amount of parts written.There would be no problem with us playing 4 I do intend taking a printed copy of this with me on Sunday just in case there are any problems