PDA

View Full Version : are you prepared?!

sparkling_quavers
04.02.2003, 22:47
How is your band's preparation going for the areas? are you all ready and raring to go?! 8)

satchmo shaz
05.02.2003, 08:28
not too bad at the moment, we had a run out on sunday on the peice and came 3rd with 1 euph light and a reshuffled bone section. hopefully we will be up to strength by the big day :wink:

Hornblower RN
05.02.2003, 12:30
Still haven't got a full band!!!....but the rest of us keep plodding on :evil:

Owen
05.02.2003, 23:58
Perhaps we could run another poll

"Will you have a full band sat down together at any stage before the day of the areas?"

Generally going well though (Passacaglia, not Prague!)

Good luck to everyone!

McEuphie
06.02.2003, 13:43
To reply to Owen's comment:

"We never have in the past so what should be different this year!!".

We will be playing a couple of players light but are realy enjoying Northern Landscapes - even with the battle for the third movement!

The outing to Blackpool is also a highlight on the social calander.

I finally forced myself to listen to Prague all the way through and the piece does have some merits although I don't think it's a challenge for the championship bands.

Cheers

Hilary Mateer
07.02.2003, 00:32
We haven't managed a full horn section yet let alone a full band.
We usually manage a full rehearsal the morning of the contest but one of out cornet players is a driving instructor and wants to fit in some lessons in the morning so we won't this year.
Nothern Landscapes is a nice piece but the 3rd movement is causing us a few problems. Glad to hear we aren't the only ones.
The syncopated EEb bass part in the first movement isn't too easy either.
Our solo player has been struggling with it but has about cracked it now but he missed the last rehearsal and I had to (attempt to) play it. :(
He better not miss the contest

Boneman
07.02.2003, 14:01
We have been working on the piece over the past few weeks, and with three weeks to go it is starting to shape up.

Haven't had a full band rehearsal yet - but no suprise there!

I must admit that the piece (Prague) has grown on me significantly from when I first heard it on CD. I am actually growing to quite like it (well the first two movements any way!).

As for how hard it is/isn't - It may not be the hardest piece I have had to play, but it is musically very challenging - you do have to count like mad there is no room for any sloppy playing! especially in the final movement

Three weeks to get it right!

picju96
07.02.2003, 17:28
Had a full band rehearsal last night on the 3rd movement of Northern Landscapes, because I'm playing 3rd man down I sat there for about an hour and didn't play a note, which was good actually coz I was really suffering with a cold, along with half the rest of the band. Now we've given it to the other half.... hahahahahaha!! Anyway we're having trouble with it too, especially the back row cornets. They're all under 14! We have just under 2 months to practice, so I think it'll be ok on the night (or day in this case).

Julia

floral_dance
10.02.2003, 11:18
we are working on Celestial Prospect which is quite a good piece of music. Not sure about it to start with but it has grown on me. It is coming along slowly but hopefully will be okay on the day, 8th March for Scotland. The poor cornets in the last movement have got it hard. We too have not had a full band yet and will probably play with a couple of players short. Anyone else working on this music and if so how is it going. :wink:

Wonky_Baton
11.02.2003, 20:57
I thought we were but now I'm not sure. We practiced it early and then put it to bed for Christmas and the local League contest. Now I can't wake it up!! :(

There is always next week :roll:

Heather
12.02.2003, 09:13
We're doing ok with it, especially after winning a contest on it (albeit against only one other band!!!!..but we did got good adjudicators remarks)
Its nice to know its nearly sorted, having a few weeks left to put the final polish on it.
When I first heard 'Passacaglia' I thought it was an awful dirge but it has grown on me and I really like it now.
Looking forward to the areas.

Wonky_Baton
25.02.2003, 13:55
Our preparations have gone breasts up. Our top man cannot get cos of work. Another top cornet has had a nasty accident and cannot play and the 2nd trombome is also out. This 3 weeks before the contest has created serious problems for us. :cry:

The bumper up is moving to top man, a third cornet player is moving onto front bench and i am trying to find some cornets to bolster the front row who are new registrations. :roll:

One bit of good news is a lad from Albania has been down to a couple of practices so we might have a trombone player.

That might be even further than Keppler has to travel!!. Although I think he's based in Gateshead on school and band nights, he cycles back to Albania on weekends. :D

geordiecolin
25.02.2003, 14:35
New conductor, changes in personnel, anything can and probably will happen.

However a 4th a NEMBBA was encouraging, if we're gonna bounce back up to 3rd after our bizzare relagation (something to do with evening numbers in sections out) our preparation has been the best that we could have hoped for.

we've also got this gobby ex back row player doing timps and glock. her name is rachel aka "sparkling quavers"!

HBB
25.02.2003, 22:50
we are working on Celestial Prospect which is quite a good piece of music. Not sure about it to start with but it has grown on me. It is coming along slowly but hopefully will be okay on the day, 8th March for Scotland. The poor cornets in the last movement have got it hard. We too have not had a full band yet and will probably play with a couple of players short. Anyone else working on this music and if so how is it going. :wink:

Yeah.
I'm a front-row-cornet-player at YWDB and I agree that the last movement isn't easy (well its blimming hard for a 15-year-old like me!!!!)
Y'see If you get above 14 you get premoted !!!! :lol:

We've been haveing so many sectionals just to get the cornets sorted - the rest of the band aren't important!!!! :)

sparkling_quavers
25.02.2003, 23:31

we've also got this gobby ex back row player doing timps and glock. her name is rachel aka "sparkling quavers"!

haha colin! gobby????!? I am insulted! u owe me a pint now for hurting my feelings. Infact as i recall u owe me quite a few anyway!!

Keppler
26.02.2003, 11:23
Translation for Midlands-speak required..

"gobby"?

sparkling_quavers
26.02.2003, 12:45
loud mouthed :shock: