PDA

View Full Version : National Championships of Great Britain - 2008 - Qualifying Bands - Second Section

Di
30.03.2008, 14:14
National Brass Band Championships

Sunday 28th September 2008

International Conference Centre, Harrogate

http://www.amicus-mhna.org/hic_front_2006.jpg

http://www.themouthpiece.com/images/nationals2008/second.gif

Results courtest www.4barsrest.com (http://www.4barsrest.com)

glen miler
23.05.2008, 01:26
When is the test piece announced??

michellegarbutt
23.05.2008, 08:13
beginning of June

Di
23.05.2008, 08:20
Going on previous years, next weeks Bandsman probably. :)

Roger Thorne
28.09.2008, 21:15
Results - courtesy of 4BR

Test Piece:
Rhapsodic Variations - My Strength, My Tower - Dean Goffin

Adjudicators:
Jim Davies and Peter Roberts

Results:

1. Point of Ayr, Michael Fowles, 16, 188
2. Wardle and Anderson District Brass, Sean Conway, 6, 187
3. Barton Town, Richard Evans, 2, 186
4. YBS Concert Brass, Ian Craddock, 4, 184
5. Tylorstown, Gary Davies, 1, 183
6. City of Coventry, Stephen Cooper, 7, 182
7. Haslingden and Helmshore, David Holland, 10, 181
8. Bristol East and Kingswood, Roy Curran, 12, 180
9. Slaithwaite, Barry Hudson, 15, 179
10. Johnstone, Ray Tennant, 9, 178
11. Alder Valley, Roger Burke, 11, 177
12. Campbletown Brass, Craig Anderson, 5, 176
13. Shrewton Silver, Michael Dunford, 14, 175
14. Harborough, Chris Groom, 3, 174
15. Murton Colliery, Dennis Noble, 8, 173
16. Epsom & Ewell, Ted Howard, 13, 172

Best instrumentalist:
Solo cornet: Wardle and Anderson District Brass

:tup

Masterblaster jnr
28.09.2008, 22:57
Well done to Point of Ayr and Mike Fowles, a band on the up and hopefully a nationals qualifier next year too

cornetgirl
28.09.2008, 23:12
Wooooot! Back after a long day and pleased with our result! Well done Barton and everyone who took part!!
Rach x

the shed builder
29.09.2008, 01:42
Well done to Point of Ayr and Mike Fowles, a band on the up and hopefully a nationals qualifier next year too
thanks masterblaster jnr. can i second that? super human effort by mike fowles and the band this last week...... the hard work paid off. i have to say that this is a brilliantly run contest with some fabulous backstage staff! as a perc player i have to say thanks to ray payne who makes life so easy for us all by supplying top notch equipment making this an even more enjoyable event. top marks to everyone involved!:tup:tup:tup

DMBabe
29.09.2008, 10:44
Well done yourselves! Tojo kept me informed throughout the day! Amazed you all hadn't slipped into a coma with that draw so doubly well done!!!!!!:clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:

Ali Woodman
29.09.2008, 16:27
Firstly well done to the prizewinners, sounds like the adjudicators picked out the best performances which is how it should be. Didn't hear any bands due to a late draw but most people had Point of Ayr first, congrats to them.

Secondly, this is the second year in a row I have played at Harrogate (last year with a 3rd section band), and I cannot think of another contest I have ever played at that has a worse atmosphere or general feel of 'nothing going on' than the this one.

The acoustic is absolutely dire, the audience non-exisitant, and the whole place is a just a sterile conference venue just not suited to any form of music.

The band I was helping out (Bristol East and Kingswood) travelled over 200 miles, spent thousands, for a weekend to play at approx 6.45 on a sunday night to one man and his dog. On top of that, we then have to sit through 20 minutes of repetitive euphonium tricks (great playing but not my cup of tea), then the contest promotors, sponsors etc thanking everyone over and over again, and finally some over camp guy making jokes about his black trainers.....somebody shoot me!!!!!

Obviously some bands had already gone home, and I don't blame you. They really need to source another venue where they can have two sections playing at the same time so they can finish at a reasonable time.

Also, why was it free to go in and listed to David Childs, but not to any of the competing bands. Perhaps they realised he would of also being playing to nobody.

By the way, these are my personal views and not related to the band I played for.

One big pat on the back to Ray Payne who supplied the Percussion...fantastic, great kit and couldn't do enough for us.

Am I being over critical? What do you think?

Chris Hicks
29.09.2008, 18:08
I personally think the confrence centre is far to big for the nationals. I've played there 3 times now this year in the 1st section, last year in the 2nd section and 3 years ago in the 3rd section!

Not once has the hall even been half full!

Yesterday for the first section i think there was at least 1/4 of empty seats for the results!

It just to big a hall! Time for a change i think!

chris

cornetgirl
29.09.2008, 20:42
We had similar issues off number 2 - lots of empty seats and no atmosphere. I've played in the place a lot thanks to years with Harrogate and also in previous incarnations in other musical ensembles and know it's a weird acoustic but it's so much nicer with a half-full house, believe me!

critic
29.09.2008, 21:00
Firstly well done to the prizewinners, sounds like the adjudicators picked out the best performances which is how it should be. Didn't hear any bands due to a late draw but most people had Point of Ayr first, congrats to them.

Secondly, this is the second year in a row I have played at Harrogate (last year with a 3rd section band), and I cannot think of another contest I have ever played at that has a worse atmosphere or general feel of 'nothing going on' than the this one.

The acoustic is absolutely dire, the audience non-exisitant, and the whole place is a just a sterile conference venue just not suited to any form of music.

The band I was helping out (Bristol East and Kingswood) travelled over 200 miles, spent thousands, for a weekend to play at approx 6.45 on a sunday night to one man and his dog. On top of that, we then have to sit through 20 minutes of repetitive euphonium tricks (great playing but not my cup of tea), then the contest promotors, sponsors etc thanking everyone over and over again, and finally some over camp guy making jokes about his black trainers.....somebody shoot me!!!!!

Obviously some bands had already gone home, and I don't blame you. They really need to source another venue where they can have two sections playing at the same time so they can finish at a reasonable time.

Also, why was it free to go in and listed to David Childs, but not to any of the competing bands. Perhaps they realised he would of also being playing to nobody.

By the way, these are my personal views and not related to the band I played for.

One big pat on the back to Ray Payne who supplied the Percussion...fantastic, great kit and couldn't do enough for us.

Am I being over critical? What do you think?

No ithink you make some good points. at times the announcer is a embarrasment. and yes the acoustic is not the best

themusicalrentboy
29.09.2008, 21:13
Harrogate is an awful venue.

it's at least twice as big as it should be, when you're playing on stage you can only hear the two or three people around you, the sponsors and corporate people take far too much time over their 'speech' before the results - not realising that some bands have been there for the weekend and have been waiting most of the day to play and the rest have been drinking and so couldn't give two hoots about some man in an expensive suit who wants to very publicly thank everyone but at the same time stress it was Kapitol who put in all the hard work.

It is poorly thought out - everything is expensive in Harrogate, and to make you pay the prices for everything and THEN charge you some monstrous fee to listen to your own section is not only daylight robbery but complete and utter stupidity. If bandsman's tickets were issued then there would be more people in the hall to listen to everyone else - if I remember rightly in 2006 there were about 10 people in the hall all the way through the day for the first section which is frankly pathetic.

it is possibly the most sterile, almost certainly the most expensive and definitely the most inappropriate venue for the lower section finals.

Space Cowboy
29.09.2008, 21:17
I have to agree with Ali Woodman.

It was my first time at Harrogate yesterdy and I thought the hall was just too big and the day too long.

Of the venues I know I would use the Concert Hall and Theatre at the Royal Northern College of Music which seat appx 400 and 600 respectively compared to 1900 in Harrogate. Perhaps more importantly both have good accoustics. It would also mean 2 sections could run at the same time thus shortening the day. I would also be surprised if it's dearer to hire than the Harrogate Hall.

BbBill
29.09.2008, 21:44
Thats Campbeltown just got back from Harrogate, what a journey, 10hrs on a bus to get there on Sat and 10hrs today!

Pity the trade stands packing up around 4pm, (about band 2?) altho there wasnt many folk about the hall at all and not much atmosphere throughout the whole place. We didnt bother going back to hall after we played and went to the hotel to get changed, and were well on the drink and having our meal in the restaurant next to Wetherspoons at results time. Felt we didnt put on our best performance so snubbed results for food and voddie! 4.30am we got to bed!!

KMJ Recordings
29.09.2008, 21:49
I have to agree with Ali Woodman.

It was my first time at Harrogate yesterdy and I thought the hall was just too big and the day too long.

Of the venues I know I would use the Concert Hall and Theatre at the Royal Northern College of Music which seat appx 400 and 600 respectively compared to 1900 in Harrogate. Perhaps more importantly both have good accoustics. It would also mean 2 sections could run at the same time thus shortening the day. I would also be surprised if it's dearer to hire than the Harrogate Hall.

I wouldn't, having hired it....and the physical capacity and throughput in the RNCM could potentially compromise things as well.

This debate was had last year wrt the RNCM....have a search around for it.

Hornic
29.09.2008, 21:57
Agree with all of the above, although if bands were allowed in (as in the past) there would be a better atmosphere and sense of occasion. It's all a bit flat.
My band (YBS Concert) had a fab weekend but it was not the location or venue that made this. It's a very expensive weekend already, why penalise people who would listen to other bands in their section? Most players would only have the opportunity to listen to a few bands and should they be expected to pay ten pounds for this. When i walked on stage i would have much preferred to have a fuller audience made up of fellow musicians.
I doubt if charging bandsmen/women proved a financial success. From the people i spoke to it only seemed to question where banding is going and is it only financially driven??
Personally, i loved hearing the soloists and pianist but would have enjoyed hearing other bands in my section more.

KMJ Recordings
29.09.2008, 22:00
I doubt if charging bandsmen/women proved a financial success. From the people i spoke to it only seemed to question where banding is going and is it only financially driven??

I don't disagree with any of the post....but at risk of starting the same circuitous discussion as in previous years, this contest isn't at it's most fundamental about banding it is a business venture and, as such, is designed to make money.

themusicalrentboy
29.09.2008, 22:03
designed to make money is alright in principle, but fleecing the people who make the event is not good business sense, especially as there is a wetherspoons just around the corner.

Chris Hicks
29.09.2008, 22:04
I can't ever remember buying a ticket for to listen to other bands in previous bands even though some people in my band i spoke said you did!

I went in a listened to one band last year! The band i now play for and almost certainly didnt buy a ticket! This year though went up with my performers pass and they said no sorry!
So did the old sneaky trick of getting my dad to come back out with a friends ticket! I was not going to buy one thats for certain!

And does anybody know what the performers is actually for? I wasn't asked for it once in the centre!?

Also was discussing the contest location over the weekend and there must be better cities for it to be held?? Manchester? More likely to be more hotels, nightlife, halls etc etc???

bbg
29.09.2008, 22:34
Hope that the (very) few over 18s didn't overdo the voddie, Mr Ralston.....all those impressionable youngsters around and all that! Commiserations to Campbeltown (or Campbletown as 4BR insisted on calling them - would they mis-spell the likes of Grimethrope or Balck Dyke? Didn't think so......), we finished 14th at Harrogate last year and in the immediate aftermath it's a bit of a downer after long practice sessions and a long trip, but overall to appear at these Finals is indeed an achievement for each band.

Anno Draconis
29.09.2008, 23:04
This debate was had last year wrt the RNCM....have a search around for it.

Saved you the trouble: http://www.themouthpiece.com/vb/showthread.php?t=29929

EDIT: And incidentally, my views haven't changed since then!

brassneck
29.09.2008, 23:25
Saved you the trouble: http://www.themouthpiece.com/vb/showthread.php?t=29929

EDIT: And incidentally, my views haven't changed since then!

Everybody to Glesgae then! :p

michellegarbutt
30.09.2008, 05:52
One thing I would like to thank the organisers for is the assistance given to the disabled. When I got the letter giving the details of the contest, there was a small paragraph asking us to notify the organisers if we had any players who needed assistance. As we have a player in a wheelchair I did that and the help we got couldn't be faulted.

As soon as I got in the draw I was asked was the player in the wheelchair with us. As soon as I said yes it was explained to me where the various lifts were to get him to the changing rooms and warm up room. The organisers also provided a volunteer who pushed Stan from the warm up rooms to registration and on to stage.

Coming off they brought him round to where the photos were being taken and then pushed him back to the changing rooms again.

This meant that all the band were free to concentrate on their own instruments and parts. A luxury we have never had in the past.

This is a system other contests could do with following.

The only thing I could fault on the day was at registration. As I was playing percussion I had to sign on first and then go straight up on to the stage. The only problem was that as contest secretary the registration table also needed me to confirm details about the number of players etc. and I was being pulled in both directions. Surely I can't be the only secretary that was also a percussionist. With a little advanced warning I could have made sure one of the other band members had the registration information.

dizzy winslade
30.09.2008, 07:28
Well Done Harborough. :)

Sarah

Ali Woodman
30.09.2008, 13:21
designed to make money is alright in principle, but fleecing the people who make the event is not good business sense, especially as there is a wetherspoons just around the corner.

I agree. How can they possibly make any money though when there are hardly any people paying to go in.

I'm not sure if they have the same 'no bandsmen' tickets policy at the RAH. I was principle percussion with Sun Life Band for 11 years and played at many finals. I used to go and listen to the other bands regularly, and as far as I remember Cambridge was the only venue you had to buy a ticket for, and that was because the demand was high.

And as I said in my previous post, strange how it was free to see the 'York' sponsored soloist.

KMJ Recordings
30.09.2008, 13:42
I remember a(n anecdotal) story about money being lost hand over fist whilst all the sections were at the RAH....absolutely no idea whether it was true or not.

It's very easy to put on the rose tints with the 'I remember when' stories - I'm incredibly guilty of it myself with certain things - but the business world has changed along with the associated business models.

I've got no idea of the margins involved, but it must still make money.

KMJ Recordings
30.09.2008, 13:43
And as I said in my previous post, strange how it was free to see the 'York' sponsored soloist.

Why? They sponsored the event - free entry to the soloist(s) makes perfect sense if you want to maximise exposure of the instrument and it's exponent.

Depending on the level and amount of sponsorship you could almost look at it as a loss leader.

Ali Woodman
30.09.2008, 13:53
Why? They sponsored the event - free entry to the soloist(s) makes perfect sense if you want to maximise exposure of the instrument and it's exponent.

Depending on the level and amount of sponsorship you could almost look at it as a loss leader.

Yes, but surely it's better to have more people throughout the weekend to maximise brand exposure. The stage was very heavily branded but who saw it, wives girlfriends, mums and dads etc

I work in marketing and so understand all the sponsorship principles. If I was the marketing director of York I'd be on the blower to Kapitol promotions today asking what their strategy is to get more people in.

At the rate it's going the finals will have less prestige than your local vegetable growers show.

KMJ Recordings
30.09.2008, 13:56
At the rate it's going the finals will have less prestige than your local vegetable growers show.

:D

I thought it was sponsored by York?

I'll get my coat :oops:

The Army and York tradestands were the only two that were outside of Hall D were they not? So in terms of walking past them instead of actually having to seek them out they were in prime position (such as it was).

KMJ Recordings
30.09.2008, 14:02
...this is also leading to the (again prevalent in previous years) circuitous discussion about who exactly the audience is for these contests....bandspeople? Their families? The general public?

Everone who walked up the ramp to get to the auditorium walked past York....all the bandsmen who went through to get changed and back out walked past York....and the concert / recital was free....so in the context of exposure theirs was maximal given the way the event was organised.

I don't disagree with you that it'd be nice to get more of an audience and atmosphere - I used to love it in rooms of 50 to several thousand people so long as it looked and felt appreciative....but I fear again that Bands are always too introspective about the running of contests rather than looking at the bigger picture.

Ali Woodman
30.09.2008, 14:10
I didn't see any tradestands. They'd all gone home!

KMJ Recordings
30.09.2008, 14:15
Point taken ;)

Hornic
30.09.2008, 17:03
I can see the bigger picture and I also get fed up with many of the moans and groans about the organisaton of events. My only grumble is that in such a prestigous contest why have bands play to an empty hall when other players would have liked to have watched.
For most players the weekend was expensive, the cost of driving to all the extra rehersals was expensive and the prospect of having to pay 10 to listen to a handful of bands in their own section was very disapointing, hence most chose not to.