PDA

View Full Version : NEW - Baritone Solo!

Pennine Music Publishing
21.02.2008, 14:07
Appassionata

By Richard Rock

From the pen of Richard Rock comes a solo that should belong in every bands library. The Baritone has long been the most underated instrument of the Brass Band movement, but on hearing this work, all that could change. “Appassionata” is a simply gorgeous melodic work that can show off the Baritone instrument in a light not often seen. With the parts not too demanding either, this really is a must for all Baritone players.

Full Score & Parts: £17.95
Direct Link - http://www.penninemusic.com/show_score_details.php?id=103&tf=A6.rtf

For more details on these pieces and to see/hear these new releases as well as the rest of our catalogue, please visit our web-site at http://www.penninemusic.com (http://www.penninemusic.com/) where you can order online or e-mail to sales@penninemusic.com (sales@penninemusic.com), or ring us on 0785 251 9763

Play The Euph
22.02.2008, 18:04
That sounds nice - I'm new, can this be played on euphonium ?

Pennine Music Publishing
22.02.2008, 22:01

Yes, both the Baritone and Euphonium are pitched in the same key (Bb) and so this solo could also work on a Euphonium.

On the Horn
23.02.2008, 10:02
Easiest way to play for Euphonium and band is to swap the two Euph parts with the two bari parts for balance.

Play The Euph
23.02.2008, 11:02
Thanks guys!

Pennine Music Publishing
23.02.2008, 11:04
Easiest way to play for Euphonium and band is to swap the two Euph parts with the two bari parts for balance.

And that's from the composer himself ;-)

rachelbaritone
24.02.2008, 20:03
Blimey, ****** euphonium players. Always wanting to take the limelight. This is a BARITONE solo!!!!!! :tongue:

Ryan06
25.02.2008, 03:29
Blimey, ****** euphonium players. Always wanting to take the limelight. This is a BARITONE solo!!!!!! :tongue:

true that! I wont be able to play it though with the band Im in since its not written by a Salvation Army composer :(

Pennine Music Publishing
25.02.2008, 22:09

Hehe, well the Euphonium players amongst us should take a look at...

I Left My Heart In San Francisco
By Cross & Reed

This much loved ballad have been arranged as a Euphonium solo by Neville Buxton. Released by Tony Bennet, it became a gold-selling Top Ten hit that stayed in the charts almost three years. With intricate band parts and an unforgettable solo line, this arrangement will bring back the memories of the 60's to your concert audience.

Full score & parts: £17.95
Direct Link - http://www.penninemusic.com/show_score_details.php?id=39&tf=I2.rtf

Hey Presto!
by Gerry McColl

This new gem of a solo for Euphonium is a rousing piece from start to finish. Starting with heavy syncopation from the band before the soloist can show off with this catchy little tune that you will be whistling for days (if you can whistle that fast!) The middle section then breaks into a beautiful legato tune for the soloist up in the top register, whilst the rest of the band keep on ploughing away underneath. The original tune then returns after a modulation and finishing with the soloist showing off their chromatic runs in the last couple of bars. This is one of the best new entertaining solos around.

Full score & parts: £17.95
Direct Link - http://www.penninemusic.com/show_score_details.php?id=29&tf=H4.rtf

Should keep the Euph players entertained...of course, these would also work on Baritone hehe! ;-)

PeterBale
25.02.2008, 23:51
true that! I wont be able to play it though with the band Im in since its not written by a Salvation Army composer :(

I realise it is ultimately down to your bandmaster, but there is no reason why it shouldn't be played these days, and many bands have used secular pieces to great effect.

Ryan06
26.02.2008, 02:53
I realise it is ultimately down to your bandmaster, but there is no reason why it shouldn't be played these days, and many bands have used secular pieces to great effect.

I thought that Salvation Army brass bands arent allowed to play secular pieces? (even though there all great!) thats what I heard anyways. Well, I should mention it to my bandmast then that I should play it! :cool:

winterman
26.02.2008, 15:44
Half of the Salvation Army's 'original' music came from secular music (Music Halls).. To quote the founder "Why should the Devil have all the good music?!"

Anyhow, long gone are the days when the Sally Army was so far up itself that they prevented this sort of thing (IMHO), not that it stopped many anyway.. ;)

PeterBale
26.02.2008, 22:53
I thought that Salvation Army brass bands arent allowed to play secular pieces? (even though there all great!) thats what I heard anyways. Well, I should mention it to my bandmast then that I should play it! :cool:

The rules were changed round about 1990, when Robert Redhead was head of the Music Department. This brought bands in line with songster brigades, who had been allowed to use other music for some time. At the same time, the restrictions on SA musicians playing and singing in other groups were relaxed, and SA music was (officially!!!) made available to all.

Pennine Music Publishing
26.02.2008, 23:31
The rules were changed round about 1990, when Robert Redhead was head of the Music Department. This brought bands in line with songster brigades, who had been allowed to use other music for some time. At the same time, the restrictions on SA musicians playing and singing in other groups were relaxed, and SA music was (officially!!!) made available to all.

Some SA music is some of the best around! I'm sure many people will agree that it was a great day when SA music was made available to "non-SA" bands.

Ryan06
02.03.2008, 03:09
Some SA music is some of the best around! I'm sure many people will agree that it was a great day when SA music was made available to "non-SA" bands.

I agree there! just ask the Black Dyke band...they play ALOT of SA music.

Playabit
02.03.2008, 10:14

Typical Euph player, no one elses solo's are safe, we have one in our band who would attempt a drum solo on his Euph if we would let him...:biggrin:

sniperjp
02.03.2008, 10:54
Not talking about Ken are we pee?

Playabit
02.03.2008, 11:21
Not talking about Ken are we pee?

Ahhhhhhhh Ken i miss him sooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Pennine Music Publishing
05.03.2008, 22:12
Baritone players can get there own back by playing Euph solos ;-)

JenG
08.03.2008, 12:31

Yey!! Euphoniums have enough good music to play without nicking ours as well. Although Pearl Fishers does sound a hundred times better as a Baritone duet than a Euph duet!!!!

BBthebaritone
27.03.2008, 22:01
Yey!! Euphoniums have enough good music to play without nicking ours as well. Although Pearl Fishers does sound a hundred times better as a Baritone duet than a Euph duet!!!!

What, and miss the chance to sabotage the euphonium duet by playing the quaver runs at the wrong tempo?