Nelson Brass
Parr (Richardson Ltd.)
Sale Brass
St Helens
St John's Mossley
Tarleton and District Brass
Tottington Public
Uppermill

Adjudicator information added courtesy www.4barsrest.com (http://www.4barsrest.com/news/detail.asp?id=7278)
Bands added courtesy British Bandsman
and Peter Bale. :)

cookie101880
18.02.2008, 09:59
Third section to play in the Opera House in the morning. 10A.M. start if i'm correct.

Anno Draconis
18.02.2008, 20:54
Fourth are in the poxy Spanish Suite again, not sure of the start time but I do know it's a big field and there's a split draw.

les
19.02.2008, 00:13
Start time for 4th section is 11.00am

Later than last year!

Les

MD Eccles Borough Band

MattB
19.02.2008, 09:21
Fourth are in the poxy Spanish Suite again, not sure of the start time but I do know it's a big field and there's a split draw.

SOOOO glad I'm not playing in there this year, bobbins accoustics and looks like a cheap remodel of a spaghetti western. God knows what the adjudicator hears in there, because when you're on the 'stage' it sounds bad enough (or was that just us!!!!!) ;)

rgdunning
19.02.2008, 22:49
I'm in the 4th section and i'm well looking forward to the contest and challenge!!!! :clap: When are the North West Regional Area Contest prediction going to be posted???????????

Roger Thorne
19.02.2008, 23:07
When are the North West Regional Area Contest prediction going to be posted?

When we get an official list of competing bands.

;)

rgdunning
20.02.2008, 16:34
Thanks for the reply Roger i'm looking forward to seeing who were up agaisnt......

Di
20.02.2008, 20:37
Adjudicators added courtesy www.4barsrest.com (http://www.4barsrest.com/news/detail.asp?id=7278)

PurpleHaze
22.02.2008, 14:05
North West regionals always seem to take the longest to get up lists of bands/judges ect! ;)

les
22.02.2008, 23:53
Are 4bars rest sure of the line up of the adjudicators for the right section????

It looks like they have been released in reverse to me :)

Les

MD Eccles Borough Band

rgdunning
23.02.2008, 00:09
Les, we herd Geoffrey Whitham was going to judge the 4the section last week so at least he's listed correctly. ;)

Di
23.02.2008, 13:28
Band information now gathered in full and predictions open for the North West Region.

Click on "tMP Predictions" at the top of the page to be taken to Prediction Central
.;)

Al
23.02.2008, 20:58
Good to see bands returning to the Fourth Section Competition.

Promoted from the First Section are Timperley and Untited Co-op (Crewe).

Timperley won the 1st Section last year, did not compete in 2006 or 2005 and came 9th in the Third Section back in 2004.

Dobcross Silver withdrew from the Championship Section Competition last year and are playing all the way down in the Third Section this year. This has been explained elswhere ^^

Also relegated from the Championship Section into the First Section are Haydock (who did not compete last year), Blackburn & Darwen and Vernon Building Society Poynton.

I make that four bands relegated and two bands promoted...

Joining the Third Section after relegation from the Second Section are Greenall's and Boarshurts Silver. Promoted form the Fourth Section are Formby and Ramsey Town.

The Fourth section has a good turnout of 24 bands. The relegations from the Third Section are Friezland and Hazel Grove.

The new appearances are:
Tottington Public who have had a break from the Regionals for a couple of years;
Denton, who competed in the Regionals in 2006;
Cheshire Constabulary, always good competitors in the section, last competed in 2002;
Darwen Brass - nice to see the band name back again competing, I presume a part of former Championship Section Blackburn & Darwen.
Farndon & District who last competed in 2004;
Sale Brass, who have not competed here since 2000;
St Helens brass, who last competed in 2003.
St Johns Mossley who appeard in 2004.

It is surely healthy for the Brass Band movement as a whole to see bands returning to the Regionals. Unfortunately, missing from last year's Fourth Section line-up are Carrbrook Brass, Rode Hall Silver, Littleborough Public and Hesketh Bank.

I hope I haven't made any mistakes.

MattB
23.02.2008, 23:59
Littleborough will be back on the contest scene very soon, going through a change of MD, few player changes but the future very healthy! This years area just came a bit too soon, but they'll be back!! Good luck to Totty, and my mates at Denton and Uppermill. Looks like an interesting contest!

Al
24.02.2008, 01:50
The Fourth Section looks a great contest, especially when there are a few unknown entities flying about,

It's always sad to see a band fall by the way side, but so heartening to see bands bounce back in there again.

I'm looking forward to listening to a quite few of the bands.

flugtastic
24.02.2008, 05:21
The line up of 4th section bands has now been released :-

Barnton Silver
Besses Boys
Blackley
Brindle
Cheshire Constabulary
Coppull and Standish
Darwen Brass
Denton Brass
Eccles Borough
Farndon & District
Farnworth & Walkden
Friezland
Golborne
Greenfield
Hazel Grove
Lostock Hall Memorial
Nelson Brass
Parr (Richardson Ltd.)
Sale Brass
St Helens
St John's Mossley
Tarleton and District Brass
Tottington Public
Uppermill

madandcrazytromboneguy
24.02.2008, 06:34
wouldnt surprize me if lostock hall and eccles borough came in the top 2, both are strong 4th section bands and both could probably hack it in the 3rd section. Good luck to both bands!

sopranoplayer
24.02.2008, 18:07
Good to see bands returning to the Fourth Section Competition.

Darwen Brass - nice to see the band name back again competing, I presume a part of former Championship Section Blackburn & Darwen.

Just to avoid any confusion Darwen Brass is a newly formed band (as of Jan 2007) and will be competing in their very first area contest.
Although Darwen Brass is part of a 3 band system it did not used to be Darwen Band (this is now known as the Blackburn and Darwen Band).

towse1972
25.02.2008, 00:28
Third section to play in the Opera House in the morning. 10A.M. start if i'm correct.
I've just got back from a concert by Oldham brass (well done cookie). The 3rd section result (1st place) is set on my predictions! John Collins has done wonders with his young band. When the 3rd cornet player stands up and plays " My love is like a red, red rose" by heart..., well, you have to wonder where they are gonna end up!:clap:
Good programme too!

Roger Thorne
28.02.2008, 21:14
Following further discussions by the Moderating team and taking on board your comments regarding the 'Regrading Debate' we have now moved the corresponding posts and created a seperate discussion forum.

All further discussions regarding the regrading system and references to Dobcross, or other bands, can be made here:

http://www.themouthpiece.com/vb/showthread.php?t=31943

This should now clear the way to allow discussions on the other 80 bands taking part.

;)

MattB
29.02.2008, 10:21
So to keep this thread going, who's coming over to listen from other areas (yorks?) in Blackpool, and which bands are you hoping to listen to? Time allowing I'm hoping to catch Oldham, Whitworth, Goodshaw, Haslingden, and Dobcross. If I can get to the 4th section I'll be looking out for Uppermill and Denton.

Fazed Song
29.02.2008, 12:35
Id just like to wish all the bands in the 3rd section area contest good luck. So good luck

BMP Europe Goodshaw
Boarshurst Silver
City of Chester
Dobcross Youth 2003
Douglas Town
Eagley
Flixton
Formby
Greenall's
Hawk Green (Marple)
Morecambe
Oldham (Lees)
Pemberton Old Wigan JJB 'B'
Pilling Jubilee Silver
Ramsey Town
Rivington and Adlington
Skelmersdale Prize Band
Valley Brass (Haydock)
Whitworth Vale and Healey

oh yes... and the other band that we can't mention. Good luck you too!

Beesa
29.02.2008, 14:00
Nice to see two Town bands in that list from the Isle of Man - Douglas and Ramsey. Manx Concert Brass doing well in the Second Section too.

Anno Draconis
29.02.2008, 15:24
Still the strongest 3rd section in the country; whoever wins that one will have achieved something special. I'm looking forward to some really good performances from many of that bands on that list.

Fazed Song
29.02.2008, 16:15
MODS???? Why are my posts getting deleted.

Jan H
29.02.2008, 16:18
MODS???? Why are my posts getting deleted.
they are not deleted, they are moved behind the screens to the moderators forum

final call to keep the discussion on topic, by the way

Fazed Song
29.02.2008, 16:49
Ali... you back playing for the areas after your unfortunate incident?

Ali
29.02.2008, 17:07
No i'm afraid not. Its only the 3rd time since I started playing that I have had to miss the areas. To be honest though, I'm not that fussed as it's my birthday on the day so I'm just going to get drunk!!!!! I hope that you will all join me for a pint?

les
29.02.2008, 17:10
Still the strongest 3rd section in the country; whoever wins that one will have achieved something special. I'm looking forward to some really good performances from many of that bands on that list.

Judging by last years areas, I would think it is also the strongest 4th section in the country too:D

Les

MD Eccles Borough Band

Fazed Song
29.02.2008, 17:12
I certainly will try and catch you

vonny
29.02.2008, 17:25
I am hoping to listen to a few bands if I can. I think this year is going to be interesting because the line up of bands in the 3rd and 4th sections in particular seem strong contenders.
It's strange because intially I wasn't going to be playing at the area's but now I have the opportunity to do so!
I have only seen three part invention a few times but I am really getting to grips with it and I am going to perform the best I can on the day.

vonny
29.02.2008, 17:27
Wow this is my 500th post!
I forgot to say all the best to the bands competing in the areas this year :)

flugtastic
29.02.2008, 19:41
id jus like to wish every band good luck at the areas, especially Pemberton Old, Uppermill, and Oldham Lees,
also wish my band (Denton) good luck in our retourn to the areas :)

Anno Draconis
29.02.2008, 22:01
Judging by last years areas, I would think it is also the strongest 4th section in the country too:D

Les

MD Eccles Borough Band

Probably - after all the national champions in 3rd and 4th both came from the NW last year!

mikelyons
01.03.2008, 00:17
I want to take this opportunity to thank Paul Andrews, Wire Brass and all the people who took part in the performance of the area test pieces at Gt Sankey High School tonight.

In particuloar, I'd like to thank Flixton band for giving a performance of DSOTM that almost (yes, almost) had me liking the piece.

I also had the chance to hear Wire play Eric Ball's Festival Music. Absolutely fabulous! Musical ecstasy.

Thanks too to Old Hall for having me back to sight read the bass part to Three Part Invention!:eek:

Frontman
01.03.2008, 00:48
I will second that. Well done everyone and best of luck to all next weekend.

NAS
01.03.2008, 01:35
I would like to add to that. Great concert and well done to everyone involved!

paulspud
01.03.2008, 10:30
On behalf of Old Hall Brass, I would like to thank Paul Andrews and Wire Brass for hosting the preview concert last night at Great Sankey. It was an excellent evening, and well done to Parr, Flixton and Wire for their performances on their respective test pieces.

bassinthebathroom
01.03.2008, 12:07
I'd also like to echo above comments. Thanks to Paul for oragnising the evening. It was great to get out of the bandroom and perform the piece and also thanks to all those in the audience for their kind comments in the interval.

Playabit
01.03.2008, 23:12
Yes i would like to thank Paul and his band for a great night, being in the 4th section it was good for us to play there and recieve the applause we did from the other 3 bands, good luck to you all and thanks again.

ashwortdn
02.03.2008, 10:34
I would like to wish all bands going to blackpool next the best of luck. Especially Mr Widdop and the uppermill band must be in with a good chance this year guys.

GOOD LUCK TO ALL!!!!!!

Fazed Song
02.03.2008, 12:35
I'd like to thank eveyone that performed at that concert... really would.. It was great..... I didn't go like but it seems to have a been a great occassion.

Good luck to eveyone everywhere

Bye for now

Beesa
02.03.2008, 12:44
It turned out a good thread after all, once we got rid of all that discussion stuff.

Fazed Song
02.03.2008, 12:51
What turned out good Bessa?

Beesa
02.03.2008, 13:34
Sorry, I couldn't find the sarcasm smilie.

2nd man down
02.03.2008, 15:10
Please stick to the topic of the thread.

North West Area Regional Contest 2008.

mikelyons
02.03.2008, 20:47
Yes i would like to thank Paul and his band for a great night, being in the 4th section it was good for us to play there and recieve the applause we did from the other 3 bands, good luck to you all and thanks again.
I'm really sorry for missing Parr Band out of the appreciation. Please forgive me. You gave a very good performance of 4 Cities. Well done to you and good luck at Blackpool.

Andy_Euph
03.03.2008, 00:52
One week to go and for the first time in ages... I get a lie in the day of the contest! Should be interesting to hear some 4th section bands as I believe lots will struggle on a good test. (Hopefully not so much my band!) Not looking forward to playing in Spanish Hall again, even when CISWO contest was there, it was still the only hall I've played in :(

P.S. Hope its not raining or snowing this year :D

Fazed Song
03.03.2008, 16:43
Lol.... howcome you, Andy, can quite rightly comment in the weather as part of your post, but when I asked what the weather forcast was for Blackpool a few posts ago, it got taken off...LOL

Mods where is the justice in that? Lol....(No offense meant in anyway at all ever... Im sorry)

Fazed Song

(Please note that all comments and opinions voiced by Fazed Song are not neccesarily the opinions of Fazed Song or any of his subsiduries.)

Fazed Song
03.03.2008, 16:44
And well done everyone for that concert. Great work.

bassinthebathroom
03.03.2008, 19:47
And well done everyone for that concert. Great work.

And best wishes for getting that somewhat baffling chip off of your shoulder...

All the best to everyone for Sunday including Tom with DobX, Phil, Sam, Gill et al at Hawk Green, everyone I know at Wire, Pem, Leyland, Fodens, Besses,.... the list goes on.... hope it's a great day of music making!

Fazed Song
04.03.2008, 09:24
Hmmm thanks for that Ian... or Iain sorry.

Is that pronounced the same? I've always wondered about that. Thanks for the best wishes at the area.

Comments RE chip on shoulder.... not quite sure what tree your barking up there son, but its the wrong one.

MattB
04.03.2008, 09:28
I take it contest nerves are getting to some of us on here because some people are getting a bit tetchy aren't they!

Personally, I'm really looking forward to the 2nd section on sunday. First time in years I've competed against my old muckers from Haslingden and Wardle, and first time ever in the same section! Should be a gud 'un.

See you in the bar!

Fazed Song
04.03.2008, 09:33
Yeah I know... not sure what Ian, sorry Iain, has anything to be nervous about. He is truely wonderful MD and his band only have to turn up to win...

Calm down Iain... you'll be fine

vonny
04.03.2008, 09:33
I take it contest nerves are getting to some of us on here because some people are getting a bit tetchy aren't they!

Personally, I'm really looking forward to the 2nd section on sunday. First time in years I've competed against my old muckers from Haslingden and Wardle, and first time ever in the same section! Should be a gud 'un.

See you in the bar!

Hey Matt,

Have I told you i'm playing with your 'old muckers' from Haslingden :biggrin:
I'm really looking forward to the contest it will be an interesting one I think!

Simon Preshom
04.03.2008, 11:51
Click on 4barsrest 'Articles' to see the usual prediction, dark horses and all. Interesting reading as usual

Tomhaslam
04.03.2008, 13:32
All the best to everyone for Sunday including Tom with DobX

Thanks mate. You too with Flixton, I'll try and get in to have a listen. Might be tricky though as I'm child minding for half of Friezland on the Pleasure Beach after we've played!

See you in the bar!!

bassinthebathroom
04.03.2008, 21:49
Yeah I know... not sure what Ian, sorry Iain, has anything to be nervous about. He is truely wonderful MD and his band only have to turn up to win...

Calm down Iain... you'll be fine

So now you're making a point of spelling my name wrong? (For the record though, I had no part in choosing it) Just about shows us your level I guess... best of luck to whichever band it is that you play with...
As for the chip on your shoulder... just seemed like you were making a big deal going about the concert that Wire Brass put on to preview this weekend's area contest, so I assumed (as you offered no support, and had not, by your own admission, been in the audience) that there was a certain degree of animosity present. Or am I being too over-analytical?

tpcornet12
04.03.2008, 21:59
Just seen 4bars' predictions and they have us down for 4th!! They must know something I don't!! :redface: If we get 4th I shall definately be celebrating...

snazzy_cornet_sound
04.03.2008, 23:53
Best of luck to Iain Mcknight with Flixton and Phil Pavey with Hawk Green! I shall think of you at the weekend!

Anno Draconis
05.03.2008, 00:35
So now you're making a point of spelling my name wrong? (For the record though, I had no part in choosing it) Just about shows us your level I guess... best of luck to whichever band it is that you play with...
As for the chip on your shoulder... just seemed like you were making a big deal going about the concert that Wire Brass put on to preview this weekend's area contest, so I assumed (as you offered no support, and had not, by your own admission, been in the audience) that there was a certain degree of animosity present. Or am I being too over-analytical?

Don't feed the troll! :rolleyes:

dizzy068
05.03.2008, 09:36
Well folks, the present forecast for Blackpool on Sunday is Sunshine and Hail Showers, temp 4-7 deg. That should liven things up a bit! Really looking forwards to the weekend, its been 13 years since I last played at the area.....or played at all. Last time I was there I played Land of the Long White Cloud! ANyone who knows me please come and say Hi - after all I haven't aged a bit - I wish!

ScreamingSop
05.03.2008, 15:08
A few messages..........

A MASSIVE GOOD LUCK to VBS poynton. Will be extreemly strange not playing for the first time in 10 years but i have massive faith that you lot will pull a brilliant performance off lie normal and heres hoping that 4BR's prediction is right! And im booking a place on the coach at Harrogate now!

Also good luck to Iain and Flixton, Phill and Hawk Green, James and Besses Boys and everyone else i know (sorry, there isn't enough room here to list everyone)

I won't be at the areas this year :( so make sure you all have a drink on me!

tpcornet12
05.03.2008, 15:41
heres hoping that 4BR's prediction is right! And im booking a place on the coach at Harrogate now!

Me too Ned - oh and you forgot about us! ;)

ScreamingSop
05.03.2008, 15:43
And good luck to Tim and Bollington......

Oh and Dawson, Kay, Carl and Ashton (however more good luck to VBS who are against them)

euphiwoo
05.03.2008, 16:51
Come on Middleton!!!!!!!

horn1
06.03.2008, 16:25
A few messages..........

A MASSIVE GOOD LUCK to VBS poynton. Will be extreemly strange not playing for the first time in 10 years but i have massive faith that you lot will pull a brilliant performance off lie normal and heres hoping that 4BR's prediction is right! And im booking a place on the coach at Harrogate now!

Also good luck to Iain and Flixton, Phill and Hawk Green, James and Besses Boys and everyone else i know (sorry, there isn't enough room here to list everyone)

I won't be at the areas this year :( so make sure you all have a drink on me!

What about us?? :( don't you love me and Holly anymore? :( ;)

ScreamingSop
06.03.2008, 16:53
Oh my god, i knew this would get messy!

Good luck to all at Stockport Brass as well - Holly, Nichola, Helen, Ian plus anyone else i know there (thinking on my feet here)

Any basically anyone else i know! God It would be easier if i had just gone on Sunday and seen everyone!

The Judge
06.03.2008, 17:58
Coming from a far off land shorouded in mist come Islanders with viking heritage seeking silverware. An advance party will descend on the town of Blackpool on Friday to "acclimatise" and to sample the foreign ales.

All the best to all the IOM bands competing this weekend, especially MCB in the 2nd section. We'll be giving it our best shot as always.

Whatever happens, expect to see the "men (and women) in black" in the Galleon bar as usual on Sunday afternoon.

tweetipie21
06.03.2008, 19:29
hey hey! Darwen Brass named as the Dark Horse.
Come On - lets av em'

Good luck to all!

:clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:

horn1
06.03.2008, 20:08
Oh my god, i knew this would get messy!

Good luck to all at Stockport Brass as well - Holly, Nichola, Helen, Ian plus anyone else i know there (thinking on my feet here)

Any basically anyone else i know! God It would be easier if i had just gone on Sunday and seen everyone!

Hee hee! :-) that's what you get for not going to the area ;)

Andy_Euph
07.03.2008, 02:14
Making a weekend of it, going to blackpool straight from work tomorrow night, should be fun.

Best of luck to everyone, especially friends playing/conducting at:
Wingates, Flixton, Eccles, Greenfield (although hopefully not too much good luck to the latter two ;))...hopefully be a good weekend, even if it is going to chuck it down as usual...who'd go to blackpool! :biggrin:

strongbow
07.03.2008, 09:59
Good luck to Stalybridge in the 2nd section especially to my hubby Jeff Lewis who will be conducting at Blackpool for the 1st time.:D

Aidan
07.03.2008, 10:33
Best of luck to everyone, especially friends playing/conducting at:
Wingates, Flixton, Eccles, Greenfield (although hopefully not too much good luck to the latter two ;))
and leyland, pleasethankyou, g'luck yourself griff.

hellyfrost
07.03.2008, 11:51
Does anyone know what time results will be announced for the Third Section?

Frontman
07.03.2008, 12:42
Does anyone know what time results will be announced for the Third Section?

I believe that the Championship Section is due to begin at 4-30pm so I would think that if all goes well, results will be at about 4.

I know so many people and the easiest way to go about it is to wish everyone the best of luck on Sunday.

MattB
07.03.2008, 12:55
Good luck to Stalybridge in the 2nd section especially to my hubby Jeff Lewis who will be conducting at Blackpool for the 1st time.:D

Thanks Janet, best of luck to you and yours too! Second section is looking good. On a personal level it'd be nice to have the following result:

1st Stalybridge
2nd Haslingden
3rd Wardle
4th Middleton

You never know..... getting a bit excited now!

AndyCat
07.03.2008, 13:06
I believe that the Championship Section is due to begin at 4-30pm so I would think that if all goes well, results will be at about 4.

I know so many people and the easiest way to go about it is to wish everyone the best of luck on Sunday.

Oooo really? I was counting on 3.30pm!!

Bayerd
07.03.2008, 13:28
Oooo really? I was counting on 3.30pm!!

Me too, and that's late enough thank you very much!

Andy_Euph
07.03.2008, 13:33
and leyland, pleasethankyou, g'luck yourself griff.

Well i would have wished you luck but you know i'm gingest (i hear you're a gingest now father).

Nah seriously good luck Aidan, see you about on sunday. :tup

Di
07.03.2008, 13:34
Thanks Janet, best of luck to you and yours too! Second section is looking good. On a personal level it'd be nice to have the following result:

1st Stalybridge
2nd Haslingden
3rd Wardle
4th Middleton

You never know..... getting a bit excited now!

Matt, have you made your predictions by following the link at the top of the page? :) Go on, you know you want to. :)

LeDragon
07.03.2008, 13:37
All the best to Stockport Brass in their first Area since their name change from BT.

superjobby
07.03.2008, 19:30
Hello everyone,

This is my first post! Good luck to everyone I know in the upcoming regionals at Blackpool, I'll be there, praying for an earlyish draw in the 2nd half so I can while the day away with pint in hand.. :)

Cheers!

andybass
07.03.2008, 19:52
good luck to blackpool brass, freckleton,fodens and all bands this weekend

les
08.03.2008, 12:20
Good luck to Sale who are competing for the first time in a very long time. Also to Neil and Rainford, and Flixton and Dobcross!

Hopefully it will be a successful day all round!

Les

MD Eccles Borough Band

vonny
08.03.2008, 12:32
As a new member of Haslingden and Helmshore I am really excited about playing with them on Sunday. I love three part invention and I am going to play the best I can! :biggrin:

sniperjp
08.03.2008, 19:32
Anyone know how much ticket prices are?

AndyCat
08.03.2008, 20:58
Anyone know how much ticket prices are?

8 for all day/all sections I think.

notsosilentbob
09.03.2008, 17:15
Was unable to get down today, totally gutted. However, I've just had a text and:

Oldham Band (Lees) have won the 3rd section! :clap::clap:

Congrats to John and the band. It DID sound awesome on Friday I must say (I didnt tell them that though hehe).

Well done to everyone.

tricky_trombone
09.03.2008, 18:32
I think that Wardle had won the second section. Saw them all celebrating in the pub afterwards!

notsosilentbob
09.03.2008, 18:46
Section 2

1. Wardle and District Anderson Brass, S. Conway, 9, 184
2. Haslingden and Helmshore, D. Holland, 6, 182
3. Manx Concert Brass, I. Clague MBE, 8, 181
4. Eccleston Brass, I. Bateson, 7, 180
5. Rainford, N. Samuel, 10, 179
6. Old Hall Brass, T. Halliwell, 1, 178
7. Delph, P. Goodwin, 5, 177
8. United Co-op 2000 Brass, J. Meredith, 11, 176
9. Middleton, M. Stringer, 4, 175
10. Trinity Girls, S. Barton, 12, 174
11. Stalybridge Old, J. Lewis, 2, 173
12. Hoover (Bolton), A. Cooke, 3, 172

Top 2 bands qualify

Section 3

1. Oldham (Lees), John Collins, 20, 184
2. Eagley, G. Moore, 18, 183
3. Pemberton Old Wigan JJB B, P. Ashley, 13. 182
4. Flixton, I. McKnight, 11, 181
5. Douglas Town, G. Higginbottom, 7, 180
6. BMP Europe Goodshaw, K. Gibbs, 2, 178

Top 3 bands qualify

courtesy of 4 Bars Rest

Edit: Please credit the source of information (RT)

Dave 2nd2nd Cornet
09.03.2008, 19:24
Section 4

Spanish Hall
Adjudicator: Geoffrey Whitham
Four Cities Symphony - Rodney Newton
Commences: 1100

1. Uppermill, A. Widdop, 19, 179
2. Lostock Hall Memorial, 11, 177
3. Tarleton and District Brass, G. Bould, 9, 176
4. St. John's Mossley, S. Corbett, 4, 175
5. Farnworth and Walkden, P. Ashley, 20, 174
6. Coppull and Standish, A. Baker, 15, 173
7. Cheshire Constabulary, D. Woollam, 12, 172
8. Hazel Grove, N. Beasley, 5, 171
9. Golborne, G. Smith, 7, 170
10. Besses Boys, J. Holt, 23, 169
11. Farndon and District Brass, M. Robertson, 22, 168
12. Greenfield, S. Black, 10, 167
13. Tottington Public, M. Ryan, 2, 166
14. Darwen Brass, S. Hartley, 16, 165
15. Friezland, T. Haslam, 3, 164
16. Eccles Borough, L. Webb, 21, 163
17. Sale Brass, J. Dickinson, 17, 162
18. Parr (Richardson Ltd.) St. Helens, R. Prescott, 1, 161
19. Denton Brass, J. Davies, 6, 160
20. Barnton Silver, S. Yates, 8, 159
21. Blackley, A. Smith, 14, 158
22. Brindle, K. Richmond, 18, 157
23. Nelson Brass, J. Roberts, 13, 156

Top 3 bands qualify

4 Bars Rest

4thmandown
09.03.2008, 21:11
What happened to Besses? According to 4BR they withdrew.

LeDragon
09.03.2008, 21:17
Top section results:

1. Fodens
2. Leyland
3. Faireys
4. Wingates
5. United Co-op Crewe
6. Stockport Brass

Courtesy of mate from Stockport Brass!

tricky_trombone
09.03.2008, 21:36
Championship Section

Opera House
Adjudicator: Dennis Wilby
Festival Music - Eric Ball
Commences: 1530

1. Fodens Richardson, G. Cutt, 4, 192
2. Leyland, J. Katsikaris, 9, 190
3. Fairey, P. Chalk, 5, 189
4. Wingates, A. Berryman, 3, 187
5. United Co-op (Crewe), J. Sparkes, 10, 186
6. Stockport Brass, M. Fowles, 6,185

Bactiguard Wire Brass, P. Andrews, 2
Freckleton, P. Dalton, 1
Pemberton Old Wigan JJB, M. Peacock, 8
Timperley, D. Evans, 7
United Co-op Milnrow, J. Ward, 11

Pre-qualified: Fodens Richardson
Other qualifiers: Leyland and Fairey

courtesy of 4 Bars Rest

Edit: Please credit the source of information (RT)

Anno Draconis
09.03.2008, 22:45
I'd like to say a public Thank You :clap: to Alex from Blackley who played for us today - one of our Eb bass players learned that he needed serious and urgent surgery a few days ago so we got a sicknote and Alex filled in most ably. Thanks mate. Our thoughts and best wishes go to Ken for a speedy recovery.

Well done to Uppermill, Lostock Hall and Tarleton, looking forward to seeing you in the prizes at Harrogate!

I'm reasonably pleased with our 6th place, although I thought when we came off stage that we'd perhaps merited slightly higher - don't we all? In the end I suspect there were just one or two too many minor tuning blips. Mr Whitham's remarks are a minimalist masterpiece though, so we can't really be sure!

Heather
09.03.2008, 22:50
Heard Fodens today and thought they were awesome!
What a fantastic sound and what a fantastic front row.
A very well deserved victory.

postie
09.03.2008, 23:09
Very well done to Flixton and Sparkly on the band getting promotion today. Pity about you coming 4th and missing out on a trip to Harrogate.

BIG Paul
09.03.2008, 23:27
Well Done to Uppermill, leages ahead, an excellent performance. cant believe that Eccles performance warranted their placing, very unjust

budstellabecks
09.03.2008, 23:38
cant believe that Eccles performance warranted their placing, very unjust

To say we're feeling disappointed at 16th is an understatement. However, that's contesting for you.

Congrats to all those bands that qualified though.

Andy_Euph
09.03.2008, 23:56
Got to love contesting....at least we weren't last this time :biggrin:. Congrats to everyone who won, some "suprising" results, although i must point out i only heard a few bands...pretty suprised to see Eccles as low in the 4th section.

debs66
10.03.2008, 00:14
As an ex Besses player, I'm shocked to see they withdrew.

Why??:confused:

KMJ Recordings
10.03.2008, 00:26
As an ex Besses player, I'm shocked to see they withdrew.

Why??:confused:

Most likely player shortage.

madandcrazytromboneguy
10.03.2008, 00:53
i said it before and i'll say it again, i expected lostock hall and eccles borough to be in the top placings, sounds like you guys and girls at eccles were unlucky, not to worry, les will bring you back to winning ways im sure!

a massive well done to lostock hall though, you deserve this after 2 or 3 years of performing well in the 4th section, you must be going up next year surely?, i really enjoyed helping you 18months ago and im really pleased for you all, i hope you enjoy your result and the experience at the final later this year

didnt get to blackpool this year to listen to the bands but i hope all that did go enjoyed it, bring on the finals!

tweetipie21
10.03.2008, 01:30
Commisserations to Darwen Brass! Don't agree with the placing but hey ho thats life! Chins up for the next contest!

Lets sock it to 'em at Thameside!

Tweets:) !

hornydevil
10.03.2008, 01:47
Thought Darwen Brass played really well and deserved better than 14th. Neverthless B & D Senior Band were awesome and thoroughly deserved a place in the finals! Not that I'm biased or anything but our soloists played out of their skins :clap: Just one more thing to say "Watch Out"! Vix will finish the sentence off I'm sure!!!! xxxxxxxxxxxxx;)

vonny
10.03.2008, 07:29
I had a brilliant day at the areas and a fantastic result again for Haslingden! It was my first contest with them and i'm really excited we qualified for the finals :biggrin: :clap:

mikelyons
10.03.2008, 07:33
I'd like to add my congrats to Fodens and to all the winners in each section. Commiserations to all the losers. And a special thank you to Blackpool Brass for the use of their amazing bandroom yesterday morning.

:clap: :clap: :clap:

MattB
10.03.2008, 10:05
There seem to have been some peculiar results all round yesterday. Stalybridge, according to people in the hall should not have been 11th in 2nd section, surprising to see Middleton down in 9th. In the 3rd, whitworth and boarshurst were unusually off the pace. In the 4th, take your pick! Barton, Denton, Eccles, Friezland, normally all contenders well down the field.

Is this, I wonder, a change of adjudication style in the lower sections? In the past the adjudicators have always 'ignored' many of the splits and splots in favour of balance, tuning and intonation. Maybe not this year! No sour grapes from me, as it's all down to the opinion of one man (sadly) at Blackpool. I just find it hard to believe that all the above bands, normally so consistent all had an off day at the same time!

Nice to see my old pals at Wardle, Haslingden and Uppermill do so well. And well done Goodshaw, been rebuilding for most of the past year, a very credible 6th place in section 3.

Brassbones
10.03.2008, 10:20
For people asking about Besses (I'm a former member too) they are in a rebuilding process, that is going well, but didn't think it was a worthwhile proposition competing this year. They will I'm sure return with renewed vigor next year!

*** A reminder to ALL players (not just former members) that there is an open rehearsal tomorrow night (11th Mar) at the famous old bandroom on Moss Lane in Whitefield. Come along and have a blow ... a little bird tells me that Blitz (amoungst other things) is on the menu!!! ***

superjobby
10.03.2008, 11:01
Thanks to everyone expressing surprise at Eccles' placing, your comments are appreciated. Personally I came off stage feeling we'd put in a good performance, but as mentioned, that's contesting for you. I had a face like a slapped bum for most of yesterday evening, but I've got a smile back on my face now.

Hopefully we'll bounce back quickly, fill the seat gaps and come back stronger than ever. Well done to all those who qualified, and it's good to see Goodshaw in the places in the 3rd!

Cheers

superjobby
10.03.2008, 11:03
Oh, and well done United Co-op Crewe on a fine performance and placing in the Championship!

Mofman
10.03.2008, 12:16
Well done to Roberts Bakery. Didn't hear you play but heard you were the Dark Horse of the Section.

Congratulations to Blackburn & Darwin too. Hope you both do well at the finals supporting the North West!

Crazysop
10.03.2008, 12:45
There seem to have been some peculiar results all round yesterday. Stalybridge, according to people in the hall should not have been 11th in 2nd section, surprising to see Middleton down in 9th. In the 3rd, whitworth and boarshurst were unusually off the pace. In the 4th, take your pick! Barton, Denton, Eccles, Friezland, normally all contenders well down the field.

We at Mid did think we had played somewhat better than 9th and to say we were disappointed would be an understatement but hey ho thats contesting, you can't win em all but it would be nice!

Well done to Wardle, Haslingden, Oldham and Uppermill - go show em what the North West is all about at Harrogate!:clap:

Mrs Horn
10.03.2008, 12:57
Mr Whitham's remarks are a minimalist masterpiece though, so we can't really be sure!

You can say that again :rolleyes:

To say Nelson are disheartened is an understatement. We don't even have a full band and put on a good performance yesterday, hardly meriting 23rd place :mad: Not just the band's view or my personal opinion I might add.

But hey, what a fantastic result Blackburn & Darwen - obviously Kevin is your lucky mascot!!

Seriously though, having heard the two bands before you, as soon as you played your first note, I knew you were in a different league :clap: Obviously God agreed too when he decided to open the heavens about five seconds before you started :biggrin:

Congrats to Haslingden too, 2nd place and well deserved so I hear. Nice one Dave :cool:

blueorange
10.03.2008, 13:31
well done to all my bandmates at oldham. Great result after a lot of hard work! Bring on Harrogate.

andyp
10.03.2008, 13:49
Well done to all the qualifying bands - especially Lostock Hall, well done guys :clap:

Well happy with our result, too!

sparkling_quavers
10.03.2008, 15:02
Very well done to Flixton and Sparkly on the band getting promotion today. Pity about you coming 4th and missing out on a trip to Harrogate.

Thanks Richard! I was pretty pleased with our performance, and promotion was the most important thing for the band in my opinion. Well done to the qualifiers, particularly Oldham. Let's hope the nationals title comes back to the NW!

Ali
10.03.2008, 15:06
Having heard quite a few of the lower section contests yesterday, I have to say well done to Dobx, I thought that the band played really well and I thought that they might have come higher than they did, and a massive WELL DONE to all my mates at Oldham. What a performance! They absolutley blew away the opposition. It was terrific. And what a great piece of music to listen to as well.
I did manage to miss the top section as the birthday drinks were flowing freely by that point, but well done to all my mates at Foden's as well.

Mofman
10.03.2008, 15:09
well done to all my bandmates at oldham. Great result after a lot of hard work! Bring on Harrogate.

No stopping you guys at the moment is there!

Well done Keith and the rest of Oldham

BenPhoenix
10.03.2008, 15:19
I managed to play for two bands yesterday.
Skelmersdale who were drawn number 5 after us had no 2nd Euph. so they got me haha.

Interesting standings I thought, I didn't think we did too bad and firmly believe we deserved higher than 14th. Strangest thing though is because I played straight after with Skelmersdale I thought we did better than them but they came 11th. Not that Skelmersdale were bad, I just thought we were slightly better. But hey, that's just my opinion.

Still, a fun day but to say i'm disappointed is an understatement. Congrats to Oldham though, can't argue with that result.

DobX Dave
10.03.2008, 15:43
There seem to have been some peculiar results all round yesterday......In the 3rd, whitworth and boarshurst were unusually off the pace.

Unfortunately I missed both of these bands ~ however, I did hear that Boarshurst had a blip at the beginning and had an amazing recovery.

Many congratulations to Uppermill and Oldham Lees, who I hope will go on winning especially at Harrogate.

Andy_Euph
10.03.2008, 15:55
After reading through the last few page the new buzz words seem to be: disappointed and understatement :p

Personally I was disappointed with where my band finished up on the day but when there are so many bands that tend to play a much of the sameness you could be anywhere. Just didn't happen for us again, which is a shame as i've enjoyed working on the piece and we had an alright performance...nevermind always next year...although please, not the spanish hall again!!!! :biggrin:

rodeband
10.03.2008, 16:38
Anyone know yet which championship section bands will be relegated.

According to my calculations if one 'go down' it will Pem and if two go down it will be Pem and Freckleton. Can anyone confirm this?

Mike McCann

tricky_trombone
10.03.2008, 18:26
I really was suprised at some of the placings yesterday. I talked to one band in forth section who felt they would be lucky not to come last and they came in the top ten. Eccles....well need I say more, I had you in the top six! I feel that maybe the adjudicator had too much fun with the whiskey bottle in the box!

Two really big comments I would like to make: Firstly I feel that we do need two adjudicators in the box - especially in the lower sections. How one man who sat in the champ section before he was 18 can truly comprehend the lower sections is beyond me. I think he should go and conduct a few third and forth section bands before he bothers writing anymore comments, which incidentally could have been written by anyone, about anyone. How did everyone elses comments read? Did they have something to do with tuning by any chance? Were they helpful at all, or did they tell the bands anything about how they can improve? Even the bands that won need some criticism.

Which leads me to my second point. I think a new improved 'marks-sheet' should be constructed. As a teacher, and now hot on reflective practice , this is perhaps one way of doing it....

Position in programme...... Points......... Placing.......

Soloists
Ensemble playing
Strengths
Weaknesses
Thinks to work on
Targets for next year
Advice for conductor
Pieces which could help with problems (which granted would probably be Red Hymn Book!!!!)

Rather than just

Programme No 9 Points 183 Position 1st.

I problems with tuning. good soloist.

II basses out of tune. good trombone.

III horns and cornets - not balanced. good euphonium

VI wasnt listening. had a snooze.

Also, how about recording all the bands and then we on TMP could all vote for who should win!! Hooraaah!

sianybee24
10.03.2008, 18:33

According to my calculations if one 'go down' it will Pem and if two go down it will be Pem and Freckleton. Can anyone confirm this?

Mike McCann

Not certain, but I think it will be Freck and Wire who go down. Wire have 18 pts and Pem have 17!

AndyCat
10.03.2008, 18:41
It's over 3 years, so I'm pretty sure we (Freckleton) will be the only band relegated.

Aidan
10.03.2008, 18:46
How one man who sat in the champ section before he was 18 can truly comprehend the lower sections is beyond me.
Err, yeah whatever mate.

sooze booze
10.03.2008, 19:04
could anyone tell me where I could get the grading tables for the NW area please? With anticipatory thanks

Angoose
10.03.2008, 19:13
4br willl have them somewhere. Did anyone else think that some of the adjudicators comments for the 1st Section were rubbish?? Half the stuff he said was wrong. Apparently our flugel missed out the grace notes in bar 26 of Circumnavigator but I heard them.

Stix
10.03.2008, 19:25
we were slated for our first page, and then the rest were brilliant comments! we did feel it got better as it went along, but some of the comments for the first part were pretty bad, and didnt realise we were!!!

Angoose
10.03.2008, 19:29
We were basically just slated. Although I don't think we were too disapointed with 9th but we didn't like the comments. I don't like those kind of adjudicators, they really just comment on the faults and completley fail to mention any good points about the performance.

mikelyons
10.03.2008, 19:37
I did say to all of you who are surprised at the results that DSOTM would create a lottery and, although I benefitted from that lottery, it does not change my view.

I'm not going to say "I told you so!";)

PSB Tom
10.03.2008, 19:55
Well done to Roberts Bakery. Didn't hear you play but heard you were the Dark Horse of the Section.

Congratulations to Blackburn & Darwin too. Hope you both do well at the finals supporting the North West!

Thanks Mofman, I think we're all still in shock at Roberts! We thought it was solid performance but really didn't expect to win it. We were basically predicted as Dark Horses as the Area is the only competition we compete in so 4BR can't really judge the standard of the band from year to year.

Well done on 3rd Place, surely it won't be too long before you're back playing in the top section again!

PSB Tom
10.03.2008, 20:01

Mike McCann

Hi Mike, I think you've got it right.

Freckleton will go down with 27, and if two go down so will Pemberton with 25. Wire have 25 also, but I think as they placed above Pemberton this year they are safe.

Can anyone confirm this?

Also, as it's not listed on 4 Bars Rest yet, I'm presuming that Freckleton were 11th and Pemberton Old Wigan JJB were 10th?

mikelyons
10.03.2008, 20:05
How one man who sat in the champ section before he was 18 can truly comprehend the lower sections is beyond me.
Err, yeah whatever mate.

Actually, I have some sympathy with that idea. I did have some adjustments to make to my thinking - and I only came down from one section higher.
I think the difference is greater than some people think.

Aidan
10.03.2008, 21:11
experience in adjudicating rather than playing maybe.
At the end of the day, bands aim to play their best, does the definition of 'best' vary from section to section?

Anno Draconis
10.03.2008, 21:11
Actually, I have some sympathy with that idea. I did have some adjustments to make to my thinking - and I only came down from one section higher.
I think the difference is greater than some people think.

In playing and conducting terms, yes, absolutely. When all you are required to do is differentiate performances I don't see why you would need a load of lower section playing experience, however. Memory like an elephant, yes. Superb ear for detail, yes. 20 years as 2nd euph at Shillingsby Pickle Works - not required ;)

KMJ Recordings
10.03.2008, 21:12
experience in adjudicating rather than playing maybe.
At the end of the day, bands aim to play their best, does the definition of 'best' vary from section to section?

I'd say it's about choosing an appropriate frame of reference against which to judge.

mikelyons
10.03.2008, 21:13
In playing and conducting terms, yes, absolutely. When all you are required to do is differentiate performances I don't see why you would need a load of lower section playing experience, however. Memory like an elephant, yes. Superb ear for detail, yes. 20 years as 2nd euph at Shillingsby Pickle Works - not required ;)

You know Andy, you may have a point I overlooked there! :oops:

Although, having said that, there is a difference in expectation that will also affect how adjudicators perceive the performances they listen to.

blueorange
10.03.2008, 21:14
No stopping you guys at the moment is there!

Well done Keith and the rest of Oldham

cheers ian. Sorry to see you guys didn't quite make it to harrogate. Hope to see you there anyway.

Andyrob75
10.03.2008, 21:42
Just want to say a massive well done and congrats to everyone at The Oldham Band (Lees) - What an amazing achievement this is again... Nice to see that all the hard work has paid off....

Congrats to all the qualifiers from the weekend!

Come on Oldham!

tricky_trombone
10.03.2008, 21:52
You know Andy, you may have a point I overlooked there! :oops:

Although, having said that, there is a difference in expectation that will also affect how adjudicators perceive the performances they listen to.

I think that in the lower sections you will always have tuning problems no matter what. There aren't many players in the lower sections who can recreate on stage what they can in a rehearsal room, and so will never fully get their best performances heard by any adjudicator. Especially if the band is young (in both ways in our case) and new to contesting. I can see why adjudicators spend all their time on this; because it is the most obvious problem and you can simply and easily put bands in order of how flat or sharp they were. IE 1st place = good intonation last place = very sharp/flat playing.

But does this encourage bands who are playing on poor or inadequate instruments, yet have talent, enthusiasm, tempo and amazing emotion in their music? Does this encourage new brass players to stick with their instruments and show off?

I think comments that basically just tell you that your tuning is off (and offer no help or pointers) when you're guarenteed to have this problem 99% of the time anyway (and are expecting this) is just wasting the nice fountain pen they recieved as a present along with their socks at Christmas off the children.

I don't enjoy contesting because I want to recreate every other band, in the same way that people don't go to watch the RSC putting on a production of Richard III just because they think the hooked nosed, crooked evil swine is going to be a complete replica of Sir Laurence Olivier!!!
I thought artistic licence was about putting something of yourself into the music. If it wasn't then I can fully understand why the contest hall at brass band contests are never full of listeners anymore and why young adults think a wind or string instrument is cooler to play.

Granted - if a band are all playing on New York/Courtois instruments then I guess that tuning is inexcusable - but if a third section band get 1st place for playing all the right notes, but sound like a funeral dirge, then I think a younger man in the box is needed!!!

I think my rant finished on the same topic..... :oops:

Mrs Horn
10.03.2008, 23:21
But does this encourage bands who are playing on poor or inadequate instruments, yet have talent, enthusiasm, tempo and amazing emotion in their music? Does this encourage new brass players to stick with their instruments and show off?

A lot of the problems aren't tuning, it's intonation. You can tune every instrument up in the bandroom during a rehearsal and five minutes later, the tuning can still be out. It's all about "turning your ears on" and listening :wink:

There's no point playing with enthusiasm and emotion if it can't be kept in tune :)

Heather
10.03.2008, 23:42
A massive WELL DONE to Eagley with their 2nd place in the 3rd section.
As a former player and still in touch with some of the members I know they've gone through a rough few years. Luckily they have a nucleous of very comitted players who have kept the Band going...now they've got their reward.
Well done once again, especially to Maggie, Debs, Andy and Norma.

Millsy
11.03.2008, 00:28
I really was suprised at some of the placings yesterday. I talked to one band in forth section who felt they would be lucky not to come last and they came in the top ten. Eccles....well need I say more, I had you in the top six! I feel that maybe the adjudicator had too much fun with the whiskey bottle in the box!

Two really big comments I would like to make: Firstly I feel that we do need two adjudicators in the box - especially in the lower sections. How one man who sat in the champ section before he was 18 can truly comprehend the lower sections is beyond me. I think he should go and conduct a few third and forth section bands before he bothers writing anymore comments, which incidentally could have been written by anyone, about anyone. How did everyone elses comments read? Did they have something to do with tuning by any chance? Were they helpful at all, or did they tell the bands anything about how they can improve? Even the bands that won need some criticism.

Which leads me to my second point. I think a new improved 'marks-sheet' should be constructed. As a teacher, and now hot on reflective practice , this is perhaps one way of doing it....

Position in programme...... Points......... Placing.......

Soloists
Ensemble playing
Strengths
Weaknesses
Thinks to work on
Targets for next year
Advice for conductor
Pieces which could help with problems (which granted would probably be Red Hymn Book!!!!)

Rather than just

Programme No 9 Points 183 Position 1st.

I problems with tuning. good soloist.

II basses out of tune. good trombone.

III horns and cornets - not balanced. good euphonium

VI wasnt listening. had a snooze.

Also, how about recording all the bands and then we on TMP could all vote for who should win!! Hooraaah!
Matt

Whilst i agree with some of your comments ie 2 adudicators (and i also believe they should not be in the same box) and proper constructive comments made on the results sheet, i do have to say that Geoff has been through the ranks.

He did say in his speech before the results that he did know what it was like in the lower sections as he learnt to play in the 4th section and go through the different sections - and he did the same when he started conducting.

I do agree with the strange result from Eccles - i did hear some possitive comments about them and that paired with some fairly consistent results both locally and nationally in recent times, i thought they would have been with us at the finals.

Eccles, the 4th section is a swine to get out of, but it is possible and i'm sure you'll be rubbing shoulders with us in the 3rd section next year.

Finally, a massive congratulations to St Johns - a magnificent result - c'mon guys lets see more of you in the future!

Beesa
11.03.2008, 01:23
I went in to the Fourth Section results and thought Geoffrey Whitham's speech was excellent. He hammered home the point about his working through the ranks of the sections and then when he became a conductor had to start in the fourth section again to work his way up.

The original poster could not be further away from reality and must have been in the bar himself when the results were being read out:

How one man who sat in the champ section before he was 18 can truly comprehend the lower sections is beyond me. I think he should go and conduct a few third and forth section bands before he bothers writing anymore comments, which incidentally could have been written by anyone, about anyone.and just wrote the above as a bit of an anecdote which probably sounded good when 'pi55ed-bloke at bar' came out with it.

Hells Bones
11.03.2008, 01:46
Can I just say something in the defence of the adjudicators.

The thing about adjudicating is that you get it once and once only.
Try doing some adjudicating, it is damned hard stuff.

Get a live recording of a band, sit down with a score and without listening to it more than once, give an accurate constructive, destructive whatever criticism and then come back and slag adjudicators off.

People wonder why there is no young blood in the adjudicators boxes. Maybe it is because Adjudicators are damned if they do and damned if they don't?

I see a trend forming after every contest. As with conductors, if a band does well, it is the band that does well, not the conductor or the adjudicator. If a band does badly it is not the band that has done it wrong but the conductor or the adjudicator.

Don't get me wrong there was a time when I used to hate the adjudicator that place my band 8th. That was until I actually sat down and tried to adjudicate. I found it impossible. Even with slow pieces, sat analysing the score.

Do what I said, get a cd of a live recording, get the score and listen to it once. No pausing the music, no replay to see if that one note in the 1st movement was out of tune or if the solo cornet played a Bb in the semiquaver run that should have been a B natural.

Seriously, try it. Since I tried it, I don't envy the adjudicator's job. But I also now look differently on the outcome of contests.

Try it. Let me know if you still think the same afterwards.

Hells Bones
11.03.2008, 01:56
Do what I said, get a cd of a live recording, get the score and listen to it once. No pausing the music, no replay to see if that one note in the 1st movement was out of tune or if the solo cornet played a Bb in the semiquaver run that should have been a B natural.

Addition to this bit at the end.

Write everything out in detail. Remember, you can't pause the music or replay it to make sure you got it right!
I guarantee that by the end of one sentence you have missed an entire page of music.
So what should you do? Adjudicate every other page in detail or adjudicate the whole movement with small comments?

Try it. Then come back and slag the adjudicators off.

mikelyons
11.03.2008, 07:51
I agree with you about the job of adjudicating being difficult, but that is what theya re there for. They've had the training and the years of experience - especially someone like Geoff Whitham, who is close to being a band legend. I'm afraid I don't give them the sympathy you do. But my main criticism happens when an adjudication is unhelpful to a lower placed (or even a winning) band.

If you have been placed low down in the order, surely you need to know how to improve? I don't just mean being told you are out of tune etc, but maybe some guidance about style - a big failing in many bands, technique - just how do you get all the cornets to use the same articulation so that the runs are clear? (these are just examples picked off the top of my early morning head so no flaming, please) or other useful advive.

I've had all kinds of remarks over 40 years and some have been really helpful and others have been terse to the point of Eff off! (nearly) It often seems that lower section adjudications are poor, but I have also seen some higher section ones that make you wonder if English is the adjudicator's 1st language!

Finally, my plea to adjudicators everywhere: If you can't tell us we've won, say something constructive!

tpcornet12
11.03.2008, 08:41
I think that a lot of what is suggested is the job of the MD. I don't think the future of each band rests on the shoulders of adjudicators.

les
11.03.2008, 11:16
Thanks for all the positive comments about Eccles. I felt the band played well, apart from 2 mistakes that occurred in our performance.

Our Sop player came in a bar early but rectified this and then came in the right place. This may have been predicted, as he attended so few rehearsals, and gave us little if no warning of this! Which goes to show how important it is to attend rehearsals on the run up to a major contest. We could not have done anything about this. But we have rectified the situation now!

The second was in the last movement where the bass tune at the start had a few spare notes! Other than this, I felt we gave a pretty good performance. Our dynamic contrast was good, but for one place where Geoff thought we were too loud on the solo euph p where I asked the solo's to express themselves - on another day, we would have been told, these passages need to be played out due to the soloist element of the section!

I have no quarms with our final result, just that for me, it goes to emphasis one man listening to 23 performances of this piece is definately a big ask, when trying to accurately place the bands. Rodney the composer listened to us, and told our contest secretary before the results were aired, that he had us in the top 4, and he adjudicated the Yorkshire Area, so as I said, maybe on a different day, our performance would have been right for another adjudicator! I thought coming 16th was part of the lottery if the adjudicator doesn't find favour with the performance. Can't help but think the Sop entry put him off side, but that's contesting! This result obviously means we are in the 4th section for the forseable future. Another disadvantage of playing in such a hugh section maybe :)

Congrats to all the winners at the week-end

Les

MD Eccles Borough Band

toby hobson
11.03.2008, 17:10
As a former player and still in touch with some of the members I know they've gone through a rough few years. Luckily they have a nucleous of very comitted players who have kept the Band going...now they've got their reward.
Well done once again, especially to Maggie, Debs, Andy and Norma.Id like to second that..what a fantastic result for a hard working and friendly local band. Congrats to the team, Grenville and not forgetting Gaz who has worked tirelessly over the last few weeks (if not years) preparing the band for there much deserved succsess. Good luck in Harrogate.

Beesa
11.03.2008, 20:25

Ouch!!

It seems that that one player is getting one hell of a lot of a stick in Eccles. For a single mistake.

Are you sure you aren't scapegoating here :(

Euphgit
11.03.2008, 21:59
no, he isn't......

towse1972
11.03.2008, 22:01
I sense another pointless, personal row coming on!

Euphgit
11.03.2008, 22:06
I sense another pointless, personal row coming on!

There's no reason for one, I didn't think Les's Comments were overly harsh, and they were pretty fair

zak
11.03.2008, 22:22
There's no reason for one, I didn't think Les's Comments were overly harsh, and they were pretty fair

But very much aimed at 1 particular player which bearing in mind that this is a public forum and 99% of readers don't know the reason for why this person missed so many rehearsals, seems a little unfair and unprofessional in my opinion. Even if this has been rectified(whatever that means) it's still airing dirty washing in public to some extent.

We have all had bad results at some point so let's concentrate on the positive things for a change. :tup

Regards

Shaun

Sopfonix
11.03.2008, 22:42
Well done once again, especially to Maggie, Debs, Andy and Norma.

Cheers Heather, I am sooooooo excited this is my first ever visit to the Nationals as a player:biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

Beesa
11.03.2008, 23:04
Thanks for all the positive comments about Eccles.
This result obviously means we are in the 4th section for the forseable future. Another disadvantage of playing in such a hugh section maybe :)

MD Eccles Borough Band

When you go to Blackpool next year you will be lying 5th on points. Not inconceivable for promotion but other bands will of course need to come a fair bit below you.

There were others who took a similar drop from last year:
Nelson 5th to 23rd
Barnton Silver 8th to 20th
Blackley 9th to 21st

Even if Eccles had won this year, the band would not have been been promoted unless of course you won the Nationals. If you had come 4th again then you would be about 9th in the rankings.

It's a pity you didn't compete in 2006. Was that because you had no sop? :-?

LauraBrim
12.03.2008, 02:25
Thanks Heather and Toby!! after joining eagley when we were rather low on players (about 7 core players!) a few years its nice to finally have a full band with extra 3rd cornets!!! I was great to see all our young players so excited after we had come off stage! So excited to go to harrogate with eagley and looking forward to celebrating tomoro at band!!
A big thank you to Grenville and Gaz along with Nick, Debs and Lee for working extremely hard to keep the band together!
Also thank you to norms, and the man in charge of registration thingies fr the north west for trying very hard all day friday and saturday to sort out our Eb bass' registration problems and Duncan who stepped in at the last minute due to our Eb bass being signed with a band 6 years ago in wales who dont do contests!
Also congrats to Lucy Chivs for her first ever contest win and with Foden's of all bands!! x

Anno Draconis
12.03.2008, 09:08
I'd just like to add to the "well done Eagley" comments - when I conducted Blackley their players were always willing to help us out at concerts when we had a few empty chairs, especially Norma (who was a regular!), and it's good to see that the troubled times of a couple of years ago seem to be behind you. Best of luck at the finals :clap:

MattB
12.03.2008, 09:34
Ah, the happy merry go round of contesting! I'm sure that with a concerted effort Les you can get your troops towards the top of the table next year. The old adage of 'on a different day' is so true with contests. It's impossible to predict and either euphoric or miserable at the end of it. Shame the rankings only reflect on one contest a year, or is that re-opening a very old, big can of worms!!

Beesa
12.03.2008, 10:32
Thanks, thanks and thanks etc.

..and not one word to Mike Lyons! Mr Lyons put you under the spotlight this year and could well have, albeit inadvertently, raised the adrenalin levels a bit. I certainly stayed in to see you perform because I 'knew' one of your players and I suppose quite a few others did too.

As a Bass player myself I was listening intently. Mike confessed to not playing the entry. I bet so many of you lot are suggesting that might have lost you a point or two eh! In fact the way James Scott was marking and from the results (I listened to quite a lot of bands this year) I would even suggest that put you up in the prizes. As the adjudicator said in his speech the entry was so, so important and Eagley's was one that hit the spot. So yes, you got it just right.

Make sure you congratulate Mr Lyons too for all his hard work and raising interest in the contest.

les
12.03.2008, 11:15
But very much aimed at 1 particular player which bearing in mind that this is a public forum and 99% of readers don't know the reason for why this person missed so many rehearsals, seems a little unfair and unprofessional in my opinion. Even if this has been rectified(whatever that means) it's still airing dirty washing in public to some extent.

We have all had bad results at some point so let's concentrate on the positive things for a change. :tup

Regards

Shaun

Hi Shaun. Many of my band put in alot of hard work and travelled great distances re-arranging meal times and work commitments. I think it was only fair to stipulate my view on the performance in a manner which I deemed to be the general feeling from all the players that needed to help people explain why, when we were fancied to feature after such a successful run of results, we happened to come so low down at this particular contest.

The sop situation wasn't the only reason why Eccles came so low, but It certainly didn't help our preparations, especially meaning that the rehearsal before was spent pretty much on covering one players part. It is a principal position within the band, and the point I was making was how important it is to attend atleast a minimum of 2 or 3 rehearsals the week before.

I am an experienced Championship player, and would certainly not attempt to play at an area contest on such a shortage of rehearsal time! It would only have taken honesty from any player to give any band you are playing for, a bit of notice to advise a band that if there is a chance that you could not commit to a recognisable rehearsal pattern on the run up to an area contest, then alternative arrangements could have been made. This more than annoyed the players in my band, and I don't know if you conduct, but it is a conductors WORST nightmare! I hope this goes some way to help you understand why our preparation was some what hampered!

I spoke to alot of people on the day, and they thought we had played pretty well, but I can inform you and others, the band truely were upset and annoyed by this situation.

We all live to fight another day, and as such, Eccles will bounce back I am sure.

I apologise Shaun if my comments annoy you, but I can assure you, that is nothing to how I was feeling on Saturday night, when I recieved another text saying this particular player AGAIN couldn't attend rehearsal!

I hope this hasn't been too much of a rant, and look forward to moving on and putting this behind us.

Les

MD Eccles Borough Band

Beesa
12.03.2008, 11:25
I can see why you are annoyed and perhaps a touch bitter Les.

It won't help but here's a quick synopsis of Eccles:

After gaining promotion Eccles have competed in the Third Section since 1995 until withdrawing in 2005. This resulted in relegation and did not compete in 2006, although a commendable 4th last year.

But here's an interesting parallel:

Timperley were in the Third Section with you in 2003 and 2004 but also withdrew in 2005 and, as with Eccles, did not compete in 2006 either.

However . . . . . on both your returns in 2007, Timperley came 1st in the First Section and Eccles came 4th in the Fourth Section. Unusual, strange and true.

dizzy068
12.03.2008, 11:29

I agree, this debate has been focusing on Eccles band not acheiving their potential, what about the other 22 bands in the section who all worked hard for this contest. Personally I'm very proud of my band's performance, we came from 6 years in the contesting wilderness to take 7th Place. From reading previous comments on here about the adjudication it is apparent that we acheived this because the adjudicator is 'deaf' ' 'has no idea about 4th section banding' 'the acoustic was awful'

I know that it took damn hard work and we gained a just result, like most bands we didn't give our 'best ever' performance on stage and if we had done I hope we would have enjoyed a higher placing. I agree with those who say the adjudicators remarks were scant and not overly helpful but as others have said, try it yourself to see how hard it is.

I note that most of those commenting on the 4th section don't say that they actually listened to any bands. I would love to hear the feedback from any that did - particularly my band as it is good to hear independent feedback.

Well done to all who qualified and also well done to all the bands who participated, we all know how hard it is just to get to Blackpool with a fullish compliment of players.:clap:

les
12.03.2008, 11:35
I can see why you are annoyed and perhaps a touch bitter Les.

It won't help but here's a quick synopsis of Eccles:

After gaining promotion Eccles have competed in the Third Section since 1995 until withdrawing in 2005. This resulted in relegation and did not compete in 2006, although a commendable 4th last year.

But here's an interesting parallel:

Timperley were in the Third Section with you in 2003 and 2004 but also withdrew in 2005 and, as with Eccles, did not compete in 2006 either.

However . . . . . on both your returns in 2007, Timperley came 1st in the First Section and Eccles came 4th in the Fourth Section. Unusual, strange and true.

Timperley dispanded and like Dobx were regraded after having an influx of many high section standard players join them like myself. I started Eccles with 10 players around the stand, and they had an influx of 4th section players, so that is a pretty wierd parallel to draw. Don't really see your point. Unusal and true???? Thanks for your comments anyway!

Les

MD Eccles Borough Band

dizzy068
12.03.2008, 11:46
. I started Eccles with 10 players around the stand, and they had an influx of 4th section players,

Sorry to be pedantic Les but you didn't START Eccles, they began in 1886 and have never disbanded!! - I assume that you mean that when you took the baton at Eccles there were only 10 regular players around the stand?:)

vonny
12.03.2008, 11:57
I think it is quite obvious what Les is saying Dizzy as it was a 'figure of speech' initially
Myself and my daughter Keely were both at Eccles when Les took over and has he stated there were only a few players, but those few players were committed, and some travelled long distances to get to rehearsals (including myself and Keely who travelled from Heywood
Les did a wonderful job as MD and I have to say that I was a confident player when I left the band.
I can empathise with what is being said and I believe it is very important to attend rehearsals as much as possible before a contest even if you consider yourself a compotent player.
It was a disappointment to see Eccles gain a low result at the areas especially when there are many committed and motivated players amongst them.

Beesa
12.03.2008, 12:30
Regarding contesting and bringing a band together, I am sure there is not a band in the whole country who hasn't had to make huge efforts these past few weeks. We had our solo cornet leave the band room in the middle of rehearsals crying under pressure, people losing their jobs/wives/girfriends etc. because of the time they were putting in. Yep, we all worked hard and made sacrifices and we all want to win.

Not a year goes by without people complaining 'we was robbed'.

Usually (but not always of course) this call comes from those who spent the rest of the contest in the bar. The only people who can really make informed comment are those that listen to every single band in the section and that's impossible to do if you are in a band. Anyay, it all becomes subjective as the adjudicator's opinion is the only one we are interested in.

Regarding Eccles, I hope the band is strong enough to return next year and give an even better performance. I'll be listening out for you - good luck :)

dizzy068 - good to see Cheshire Constabulary back on form. It would be good to see you back up there in the Third Section again!

The Judge
12.03.2008, 12:36
When we played on Sunday it was only the fourth time we'd had a full band. Like most committed players who try and juggle their busy work lives with their banding, me and some of my band mates get annoyed when certain players don't show up and make lame excuses for not being at rehearsals. I think it's just part of being in a group of diverse people - and, believe me, our band is such a group.

Anyway, our band (Manx Concert Brass) ended up with 3rd in the second section and were really pleased. Thanks go to all the players who put the hours in, but especially our MD Ian Clague who continues to work miracles and has now taken a band made up of broadly the same personnel from the 4th section to the 1st (subject to official confirmation).

We had a great weekend, and are looking forward to the challenge of next year.

sniperjp
12.03.2008, 13:37
I listened to most of the 4th section, and put, uppermill 1st and eccles closely 2nd.
Also thought golborne did very well and deserved a top 6 place.
Oh well, thats contesting for you.

sniperjp
12.03.2008, 13:41
Oh yes, forgot to add, myself, and a couple of other friends thought that Darwen Brass's second euph player was an exceptional young player, so anyone who knows him, please pass this on.

budstellabecks
12.03.2008, 14:05
I note that most of those commenting on the 4th section don't say that they actually listened to any bands. I would love to hear the feedback from any that did - particularly my band as it is good to hear independent feedback.

I heard Cheshire Constabulary and I enjoyed their performance. I would have thought that it would have warranted higher than the 7th place it got.

tricky_trombone
12.03.2008, 14:53
I heard and thoroughly enjoyed Uppermill's performance on Sunday. I think Farnworth followed and we've become quite friendly with them over the past year, as well as snapping at each others ankles at various contests. I was gutted we didnt play number one because I do enjoy usually sitting around and listening to the rest of the bands. :clap:

I don't think you need to listen to all bands to enjoy guessing the placing of bands. Even if you listened to say four bands, you could try and see where you'd place them. It was good to go to a contest where Dimensions wasn't played! But I've played the piece so many times, on percussion and trom that I actually miss it - even though I know others hate it. I wonder what kind of mass hysteria it would cause if the areas were all own choice! Mwahahaha! ;) Are many people doing Tameside or Buxton?

Aidan
12.03.2008, 15:11
well done eagley from an old rival of yesteryear!! :)

sopranoplayer
12.03.2008, 15:18
Oh yes, forgot to add, myself, and a couple of other friends thought that Darwen Brass's second euph player was an exceptional young player, so anyone who knows him, please pass this on.

I will pass on your comments to him

Darwen Brass have done an amazing job in the 15 months that they have been formed. This was their very first area and I was immensely proud of their performance on Sunday, I know I may be just a little biased being the Chair of the band but I thought they deserved better than the 14th they were awarded, and before you ask, yes, I listened to a few of the bands that were awarded higher results than them and in my opinion Darwen Brass played a much better overall performance, but then again I'm not the adjudicator who had to place 23 bands.

Anyway a big well done to them all for the effort and hard work that has gone into the band and I'm sure it won't be long before it pays off with some well earned results.

Mandy

davidquinlan
12.03.2008, 15:31
When we played on Sunday it was only the fourth time we'd had a full band. Like most committed players who try and juggle their busy work lives with their banding, me and some of my band mates get annoyed when certain players don't show up and make lame excuses for not being at rehearsals. I think it's just part of being in a group of diverse people - and, believe me, our band is such a group.

Anyway, our band (Manx Concert Brass) ended up with 3rd in the second section and were really pleased. Thanks go to all the players who put the hours in, but especially our MD Ian Clague who continues to work miracles and has now taken a band made up of broadly the same personnel from the 4th section to the 1st (subject to official confirmation).

We had a great weekend, and are looking forward to the challenge of next year.

Much congratulations to my chums at MCB on their performance, result and probable promotion.
Good Stuff folks, not sure when I'm back on the rock.. but I'll be sure to drop by when I am.

Heather
12.03.2008, 20:11
..and not one word to Mike Lyons! Mr Lyons put you under the spotlight this year and could well have, albeit inadvertently, raised the adrenalin levels a bit. I certainly stayed in to see you perform because I 'knew' one of your players and I suppose quite a few others did too.

As a Bass player myself I was listening intently. Mike confessed to not playing the entry. I bet so many of you lot are suggesting that might have lost you a point or two eh! In fact the way James Scott was marking and from the results (I listened to quite a lot of bands this year) I would even suggest that put you up in the prizes. As the adjudicator said in his speech the entry was so, so important and Eagley's was one that hit the spot. So yes, you got it just right.

Make sure you congratulate Mr Lyons too for all his hard work and raising interest in the contest.

Dear me....sometimes I wonder I bother!!! Why are there so many people on here intent in starting an arguement?
To explain why I didn't mention Mr Lyons..I left the Band over 10 years ago and he has only recently joined the Band.I do not know him or the work he has done within the Band. I was merely saying well done to the Band as a whole with a special well done to my mates who still play there! I apologise unreservedly for not recognising the wonderful job he did.Hope that makes you happy!!!
I also can't understand why you have to have a go at 'Beesa' ! Your post really is pathetic...sorry.

woolly
12.03.2008, 21:47
I heard Cheshire Constabulary and I enjoyed their performance. I would have thought that it would have warranted higher than the 7th place it got.
Thanks for the comments, this was a toe in the water for us (and me , it was my first contest as an MD). Like you we had some ups and downs on the way and Sunday proved to me that you have to be very very good to qualify in 4th section. We worked hard and are proud of the performance and result, but we also now know that we will need to work much harder to get a result next year. Well done to all the qualifying, and for that matter all competing bands, who put themselves up, and very well done to my former Band Roberts bakery, and especially Alex on Solo Euph and Mike on Principal.

Carina Halliwell
13.03.2008, 11:13
Regarding the relagation in the championship section:

George Fairhurst, the bands chairman, spoke to Peter Bates regarding our obvious concerns with relagation and he was told by Peter that his reccomendation to the regional committee will be that only one band from the championship section will be relagated this year (namely Freckleton) in order to keep the number of bands in the championship section at 12 - obviously taking into account the loss of Dobcross from the section and last years relagations. If however the regional committee don't agree with this Peter Bates will suggest that three bands be relegated (namely Frek, Pem and Wire) as Pem and Wire have equal points. We will find out in April if we are to be relegated or not. Hopefully not as we dont want to go down. The band has worked increasingly hard over the last four years in the championship section, but unfortunately on Sunday we had a bad day and even though we were disappointed with the result we couldn't argue with it! Anyway I hope this clears things up for people.

May I also say congratulations to all who qualified for the finals on Sunday - particularly Pemberton B Band in the 3rd section who have increasingly worked hard over the last 12 months and have made the Pemberton Organisation very proud!! Good luck to all for Harrogate and London and lets bring the national trophies back to the North West!!

AndyCat
13.03.2008, 11:34
Regarding the relagation in the championship section:

George Fairhurst, the bands chairman, spoke to Peter Bates regarding our obvious concerns with relagation and he was told by Peter that his reccomendation to the regional committee will be that only one band from the championship section will be relagated this year (namely Freckleton) in order to keep the number of bands in the championship section at 12 - obviously taking into account the loss of Dobcross from the section and last years relagations. If however the regional committee don't agree with this Peter Bates will suggest that three bands be relegated (namely Frek, Pem and Wire) as Pem and Wire have equal points. We will find out in April if we are to be relegated or not. Hopefully not as we dont want to go down. The band has worked increasingly hard over the last four years in the championship section, but unfortunately on Sunday we had a bad day and even though we were disappointed with the result we couldn't argue with it! Anyway I hope this clears things up for people.

May I also say congratulations to all who qualified for the finals on Sunday - particularly Pemberton B Band in the 3rd section who have increasingly worked hard over the last 12 months and have made the Pemberton Organisation very proud!! Good luck to all for Harrogate and London and lets bring the national trophies back to the North West!!

I'm still pretty sure we'll be the only relegation! Same as you, can't argue with the result, but it's tough to stay up, even when we've not been in the bottom 3 until this year!

The system even makes it preferable to get relegated then promoted again, than to stay fighting in the top section, due to the average points thing. Daft. Hence the merry go round of bobbing up and down in our area!!

andyp
13.03.2008, 14:36
Still no North West retrospectives on 4br yet - have they forgotten us?

billy_p
13.03.2008, 15:21
I'm still pretty sure we'll be the only relegation! Same as you, can't argue with the result, but it's tough to stay up, even when we've not been in the bottom 3 until this year!

The system even makes it preferable to get relegated then promoted again, than to stay fighting in the top section, due to the average points thing. Daft. Hence the merry go round of bobbing up and down in our area!!

Can't really see another way of doing it though can you? Suppose it could become a one off result thing, more like Spring festival, but people having "bad days" would become even more of a problem. I think it's a fairly decent set up. Must say that i think, and this may be because of the current situation, that in the case of tied points then latest result should count as opposed to both going down! again, each has its merits, but if its latest result you can keep control over the size of the section a little easier. We will wait and see anyway hey!

Big congrats to all at Crewe coop on a great first outing in top section!

Billy

Dave 2nd2nd Cornet
13.03.2008, 17:42
Still no North West retrospectives on 4br yet - have they forgotten us?

No, just saving the best till last;)

westburykid
13.03.2008, 18:22
Big congrats to all at Crewe coop on a great first outing in top section!
Billy

Thanks Billy,

We were really pleased with how we played, and I must congratulate Tony on top man and Nick on Solo Euph for their performances.

I am hoping that only one band are relegated this year, and resolves the section back to 12 bands. If Wire and Pemberton go down too, this will leave us with only 10 next year (?) (if only two bands are promoted).

Like the Football Premiership, there are the top 4 band in this section, who are expected to be up there in the top 4 places, leaving the rest of the bands to scrap for the 5th, 6th and 7th places to "stay up".

Less bands in the section means less "safe" places behind the top four, less chance of surviving an off-day and equals more yo-yoing between 1st and Championship for the rest of us.

Thanks also to the lot from Fodens who turned out to support us and for their kind words in the bar afterwards.

Epic Symphony next for us........... :-)

Sopfonix
13.03.2008, 18:57

Errrrrrrrrrrrmmmmm......why did Mike put us under the spot light??? And to be quite honest I never noticed that a bass entry was missed by Mike, so wouldn't suggest that we would have lost points due to that, it isn't one minor mistake (that obvioulsy went un-noticed by many as it didn't put the rest of the band off or the adjudicator) that loses you a contest, we are not a vindictive band and harbour no dark thoughts, nor will daggers be drawn just because a mistake is made, it's called contesting!!!

We all congratulated each other after playing on Sunday and also after the results, that was everyone from top man to third percussion as it was team effort, everyone worked hard to attend rehearsals and put their part in. And as for raising awareness to the contest, do you think this is the first time Eagley has contested at Blackpool???? The band has been contesting since the 1800's. it's now 2008, so that's about 200 years of contesting, I think we are all well aware of where Blackpool contest is and the importance of competing there.

In addition I will thank Mike for joining our band and adding strength and a jolly nice tone to an alreeady cool and excellent bass section

:clap:

Well done Eagley (as a whole Band) and well done to all the other North West bands representing all sections at the Nationals.

Bunnymonster
13.03.2008, 19:22
I wish to congratulate all those bands which made personal victories - not necessarily 'National' qualifiers or Eccles.

So "Well Done" to those bands which didn't qualify, aren't Eccles, but are over the moon with their achievement!!! :clap:

critic
13.03.2008, 20:24

they will be interesting for sure!

Beesa
13.03.2008, 20:47

I don't think there was a 4br rep. at Blackpool this year.

hellyfrost
13.03.2008, 22:09
I wish to congratulate all those bands which made personal victories - not necessarily 'National' qualifiers or Eccles.

So "Well Done" to those bands which didn't qualify, aren't Eccles, but are over the moon with their achievement!!! :clap:

How childish?

zak
13.03.2008, 22:22
Hi Shaun. Many of my band put in alot of hard work and travelled great distances re-arranging meal times and work commitments. I think it was only fair to stipulate my view on the performance in a manner which I deemed to be the general feeling from all the players that needed to help people explain why, when we were fancied to feature after such a successful run of results, we happened to come so low down at this particular contest.

The sop situation wasn't the only reason why Eccles came so low, but It certainly didn't help our preparations, especially meaning that the rehearsal before was spent pretty much on covering one players part. It is a principal position within the band, and the point I was making was how important it is to attend atleast a minimum of 2 or 3 rehearsals the week before.

I am an experienced Championship player, and would certainly not attempt to play at an area contest on such a shortage of rehearsal time! It would only have taken honesty from any player to give any band you are playing for, a bit of notice to advise a band that if there is a chance that you could not commit to a recognisable rehearsal pattern on the run up to an area contest, then alternative arrangements could have been made. This more than annoyed the players in my band, and I don't know if you conduct, but it is a conductors WORST nightmare! I hope this goes some way to help you understand why our preparation was some what hampered!

I spoke to alot of people on the day, and they thought we had played pretty well, but I can inform you and others, the band truely were upset and annoyed by this situation.

We all live to fight another day, and as such, Eccles will bounce back I am sure.

I apologise Shaun if my comments annoy you, but I can assure you, that is nothing to how I was feeling on Saturday night, when I recieved another text saying this particular player AGAIN couldn't attend rehearsal!

I hope this hasn't been too much of a rant, and look forward to moving on and putting this behind us.

Les

MD Eccles Borough Band

Hi Les,
Your posting didn't annoy me at all and to be honest I still think it is a tad unprofessional to make such personal/individual comments on a public forum, it's internal band business, end of. The only thing it has done by posting such a statement is make the sop player look/feel stupid/guilty which may/may not have been your intention?

If you are an experienced top section player then you will no doubt have had results in the past which have hurt but that's all part of contesting. No-one has a god given right irrespective of all the hype before a contest to expect to win/qualify.

Let's move on and I wish your band all the best on your next contest outting.

Regards

Shaun

Ps... I conducted a top/1st section band for a while so I can totally understand your frustration.

ashwortdn
13.03.2008, 23:41
I was just wondering if anyone listened to us (oldham band)and could say what they thought?

RussQ
13.03.2008, 23:42
From what I heard, and I heard most of 'em, the boys and girls over the pennines won't be too worried!

zak
13.03.2008, 23:58
From what I heard, and I heard most of 'em, the boys and girls over the pennines won't be too worried!

Speaks the voice of experience ;)

critic
14.03.2008, 07:55

There was every section was covered the retros will be on the site its been busy week

mikelyons
14.03.2008, 08:05
I would like to apologise to the vast majority of banders and tmp-ers out there who hasve had to suffer through the actions of a few. I am certain that this is one of the most acrimonious Areas that I can remember.

I need no congratulations on here from my colleagues at Eagley. They already made all those in person and fulsomely. They are cracking people and they have worked extremely hard with both Gareth and Grenville to achieve this well-deserved result.

As for Eccles. Many years ago it seems I also played for Eccles and found them, like Eagley, to be a thoroughly nice group of folks who work hard at their banding and deserve some success because of that. I am not sure of the wisdom of Les 'airing dirty washing', as it were, in public. However, I am sure he felt he had a reason and he has explained. I think those who are engaged in trolling on this this site should perhaps find better and more constructive things to do.

To all bands in this area. You have all come on the day and done the best you can. If it wasn't quite or nearly good enough, at the end of the day it's just one man's opinion. We have all got to accept that. Maybe it should change. I'd be happy if it did, but until it does we are stuck with it.

Finally, another message for the muck stirrers. Try to remember that every band is in this together. Our movement is under threat from falling numbers and disinterest amongst the general public and the media. If we start fighting amongst ourselves we might as well get on the extiinct species list now.

Sine Die.

The Wherryman
14.03.2008, 09:09
I would like to apologise to the vast majority of banders and tmp-ers out there who hasve had to suffer through the actions of a few. I am certain that this is one of the most acrimonious Areas that I can remember...etc

Well said, Mr Lyons, but speaking as one belonging to an Area that hasn't had its contest yet, and consequential "kicking-off", I don't regard it as necessary for you to apologise to anyone, but thank you anyway.

The ones who should be apologising, once the red mist falls from their eyes, are those who cannot resist deliberately upsetting other folk, from the safety of their keyboards. But, no doubt, hell will freeze over before that happens.

Quite frankly, if any of these people were guests in my house and spoke to me with such rudeness and arrogance, they would be firmly propelled towards the door!

Unfortunately, they exist in all forums and in the flesh. Quite often they are insecure under-achievers who cannot accept the success of others and so seek to belittle their efforts.

I have found the most effective way of dealing with them is to totally ignore them. Difficult to do, I know, but, when I have the urge to make a stinging riposte, I think once, twice and three times, then imagine a little ugly troll, with steam coming out of its ears, stamping its feet in frustration because no-one will play with it. That makes me smile, and I can move onto the next post with the smug satisfaction that I didn't rise to the bait.

(I only hope I can retain my superciliousness after the results are announced on Sunday!!)

Beesa
14.03.2008, 09:53
Originally Posted by Beesa http://www.themouthpiece.com/vb/images/satellite/buttons/viewpost.gif (http://www.themouthpiece.com/vb/showthread.php?p=588120#post588120)

There was every section was covered the retros will be on the site its been busy week

Sorry for misleading the forum, but good news indeed. A chap I was speaking to at one of the trade stands said he was speaking to Iwan (Fox) who had said he wouldn't be at Blackpool. He must have assumed no other 4BR would be there.

An Area Contest without 4barsrect.com retrospective . . . unthinkable!

It would be like Toast without Jam, Pubs without Beer, Blackpool without a Tower etc. etc.!

As ever, I look forward to reading them.

marchris6047
14.03.2008, 17:47
North West Retro's are up now yay:D

PurpleHaze
14.03.2008, 17:57
^ No they aren't!

marchris6047
14.03.2008, 18:04
^ No they aren't!

Yup they are ,on 4BR On the Articles section ;)

Crazysop
14.03.2008, 18:04
^ No they aren't!
yep they are , just hidden!
http://www.4barsrest.com/articles/default.asp

Aidan
14.03.2008, 19:02
not all of them :(

critic
14.03.2008, 19:15
I would like to apologise to the vast majority of banders and tmp-ers out there who hasve had to suffer through the actions of a few. I am certain that this is one of the most acrimonious Areas that I can remember.

I need no congratulations on here from my colleagues at Eagley. They already made all those in person and fulsomely. They are cracking people and they have worked extremely hard with both Gareth and Grenville to achieve this well-deserved result.

As for Eccles. Many years ago it seems I also played for Eccles and found them, like Eagley, to be a thoroughly nice group of folks who work hard at their banding and deserve some success because of that. I am not sure of the wisdom of Les 'airing dirty washing', as it were, in public. However, I am sure he felt he had a reason and he has explained. I think those who are engaged in trolling on this this site should perhaps find better and more constructive things to do.

To all bands in this area. You have all come on the day and done the best you can. If it wasn't quite or nearly good enough, at the end of the day it's just one man's opinion. We have all got to accept that. Maybe it should change. I'd be happy if it did, but until it does we are stuck with it.

Finally, another message for the muck stirrers. Try to remember that every band is in this together. Our movement is under threat from falling numbers and disinterest amongst the general public and the media. If we start fighting amongst ourselves we might as well get on the extiinct species list now.

Sine Die.

very well put sir

critic
14.03.2008, 19:34
not all of them :(

just the championship to come.the rest or in the articles section.the championship will be up eventually but some interesting views it was a good contest allround

Beesa
15.03.2008, 02:50
(@ 'Beesa') Your post really is pathetic...sorry.

Not really.

viz:

....Eagley . . . . . . produced one of the quietest starts by the basses...

Well done Eagley basses. Well dome Mike.

HBB
15.03.2008, 04:04
Speaks the voice of experience ;)

So unappropriate!

critic
15.03.2008, 11:25
So unappropriate!

Having covered both the first and seccond sections i thought the respect for the other bands was great and all though we all like to do well this backbiting does the bandsconcerned and more importantly the all band movement a diss service.Every band who competed in all the sections deserve to be respected by everyone.

Playabit
15.03.2008, 19:15
Having covered both the first and seccond sections i thought the respect for the other bands was great and all though we all like to do well this backbiting does the bandsconcerned and more importantly the all band movement a diss service.Every band who competed in all the sections deserve to be respected by everyone.

Well said critic...i have watched this thread since the contest in disbelief at how people seem to have forgot that it takes many bands to make the contest what was. And had the bands that came in or near the bottom not entered someone else wopuld have been there, take the bottom 13 bands from the 4th section and eh 10th place would have been last. All bands that competed did well on the day, its easy to say, "well someone said we deserved better" tyhe thing is this is said to all of us, no one ever comes and says "you played ****"....so we hav all had "you played well and deserved better". But it means Jack **** as it all depends on the man in the box.

A number of bands just to get there did well for one reason or another, so to all that did get there and play, congratulations from Parr 18th on the day but still drunk enough Beer in the bar afterwards that 18th didnt really matter, we went when we thought we may not go and look forward to next year, be happy and thankful that we all have a great hobby regardless of our section or playing abilities....;)

Also on the day due to sickness we had to borrow a percusionist all above board...he was only a young lad but played well and did us proud so a big thanks to him....:clap:

superjobby
15.03.2008, 20:58

I agree entirely. I hope a line can now be drawn under it, the area was just under a week ago but it feels like a blummin' lifetime.

Good luck to everyone involved at Tameside, and remember, we're all in the banding movement because we enjoy it, even if it doesn't feel like it sometimes..

Roll on Whit Friday! ;)

critic
16.03.2008, 12:31
Well said critic...i have watched this thread since the contest in disbelief at how people seem to have forgot that it takes many bands to make the contest what was. And had the bands that came in or near the bottom not entered someone else wopuld have been there, take the bottom 13 bands from the 4th section and eh 10th place would have been last. All bands that competed did well on the day, its easy to say, "well someone said we deserved better" tyhe thing is this is said to all of us, no one ever comes and says "you played ****"....so we hav all had "you played well and deserved better". But it means Jack **** as it all depends on the man in the box.

A number of bands just to get there did well for one reason or another, so to all that did get there and play, congratulations from Parr 18th on the day but still drunk enough Beer in the bar afterwards that 18th didnt really matter, we went when we thought we may not go and look forward to next year, be happy and thankful that we all have a great hobby regardless of our section or playing abilities....;)

Also on the day due to sickness we had to borrow a percusionist all above board...he was only a young lad but played well and did us proud so a big thanks to him....:clap:

Thanks playabit.As i said the atmosphere among the bands in the seccond and first section was very good and we dont always agree with the results if we express a honest opinion based on the music alone and not on other factors thats how it should be. i had a slightly different opinion about the first section but have total respect for the adjudicator whogave his own honest decision based on what he heard.The 4bars tetros are all honest opinions. ITSa great movement is ours and we should all work to keep it that way.Believe me it will not get any easier.

Bayerd
16.03.2008, 21:25
Thanks playabit.As i said the atmosphere among the bands in the seccond and first section was very good and we dont always agree with the results if we express a honest opinion based on the music alone and not on other factors thats how it should be. i had a slightly different opinion about the first section but have total respect for the adjudicator whogave his own honest decision based on what he heard.The 4bars tetros are all honest opinions. ITSa great movement is ours and we should all work to keep it that way.Believe me it will not get any easier.

I take it 4br have decided it's not worth publishing the top section retro..............

critic
16.03.2008, 21:40
I take it 4br have decided it's not worth publishing the top section retro..............

The top section will be published as soon as possible the delay is down to unforseen circumstances.

horn1
17.03.2008, 19:11
Top sections retro is up now :-)

Beesa
20.03.2008, 16:22
I watched Hawk Green Marple in the Opera House (Third Section)

Right in the middle of the performance the side doors were opened and people poured in. The adjudicator must have been distracted and wondered what the commotion was.

It certainly caught the attention of the audience and I wonder if anyone in the band noticed anything?

Stix
20.03.2008, 18:32
ive read the retro, and this makes me seem even more dissapointed as it seems quite a few had us higher!! we just missed out on that spot!! Although i know it is down to the man in ths box before anyone says anything!!!

Did anyone hear a lot of the 1st section?