Totnes, Ian Wilkinson
Weymouth Concert Brass, Adam Glynn
Wincanton Silver, Brian Kelloway

Information courtesy :
Brian Elliott
Secretary, Council of West England BBAs

QAD
18.02.2008, 08:21
What happened to St. Breward in the 4th section, after doing so well last year?

Mesmerist
19.02.2008, 00:41
just over two weeks left. Anyone feeling confident? (because I`m not!)

tam-tam2
19.02.2008, 01:56
Thank God it's over 2 weeks to the contest, especially as I and the rest of our band (wel cornet section anyway) am not going to be able to make it to band this week, loving James Cook and I think the First Section contest should be one of the best of the weekend......not that the rest won't be competitive. Best of luck to all competing bands and hope to meet some new and not so new faces in the bar afterwards - I am still failrly new to West of England banding so need to meet more players down there. Right, off now to practise that cornet cadenzary bit of Jimmy Cook - but as someone said I have over 2 weeks to perfect it yet!!

JesTperfect!
19.02.2008, 13:55
What happened to St. Breward in the 4th section, after doing so well last year?

I'm pretty sure their conductor left. It's a shame, because you're right, they had done well.

kevthedrummer
19.02.2008, 15:25
Good to see the lads and lasses from lanner back, Good luck to them am rooting for u :clap:

QAD
19.02.2008, 22:50
just over two weeks left. Anyone feeling confident? (because I`m not!)

About as confident as a Russian in a London sussi bar

Mesmerist
19.02.2008, 23:32
About as confident as a Russian in a London sussi bar

An enigmatic reply!

Does this mean you will be conducting and wearing a big furry hat and a dark scowl?:cool:

JimboFB
20.02.2008, 15:30
Good to see the lads and lasses from lanner back, Good luck to them am rooting for u :clap:

C'mon the Lanner!

Met a few of the guys from the band at Wychavon contest a few years back. Mother in law is from there. In fact, when we did a band tour to Hayle last year i drove through Lanner and past the famous Lanner Inn on the way!

Glad to see them back :clap:

jim
20.02.2008, 19:05
I love the west of england area always a great atmosphere, such a good spirit in the lower sections and also the top sections although underneith it all the rivalry is rife!

Liz Courts
20.02.2008, 19:22
Thank God it's over 2 weeks to the contest, especially as I and the rest of our band (wel cornet section anyway) am not going to be able to make it to band this week

I was there on Monday! So was Fi...and little Paul, and big Paul...AND Tom! That's over half of the cornet section, and we did very well! :tongue:

I'll echo what others have said - it's good to see Lanner back! :)

Not long to go now! :biggrin:

QAD
21.02.2008, 00:14
An enigmatic reply!

Does this mean you will be conducting and wearing a big furry hat and a dark scowl?:cool:

I think 4 cities warrants a different hat for each movement.

bignige
21.02.2008, 09:30
I think 4 cities warrants a different hat for each movement.

Funny you say that - our MD did that with "Rudolph around the World" one Christmas. Hope you get the changes right!!

Oaker
21.02.2008, 09:54
Anyone have any thoughts on winning bands?? here are my top two in each section-

Champ- Polysteele, Camborne
1st- Helston, St Dennis
2nd- Camborne B, Pheonix Brass
3rd- AW Parker, Hayle
4th Bream, Swindon

I think the first section is going to be a cracking contest with several bands with the ability to win. Also great to see Lanner back.

hicks
21.02.2008, 12:04
Anyone have any thoughts on winning bands?? here are my top two in each section-

Champ- Polysteele, Camborne
1st- Helston, St Dennis
3rd- AW Parker, Hayle
4th Bream, Swindon

I think the first section is going to be a cracking contest with several bands with the ability to win. Also great to see Lanner back.

View the predictions at

http://www.themouthpiece.com/predict/index.php?action=votestatus&contest=16&section=53&column=1

Someone predicts a win for us, thanks for the vote of confidence!

BassBlaster
23.02.2008, 21:10
Well I`m looking foward to the contest, my first regional for a few years.
James cook is a great piece for the band, lovely Vinter music.
Maybe see a few people in the bar?.

davethehorny
23.02.2008, 21:40
[quote=Oaker;582331]Anyone have any thoughts on winning bands?? here are my top two in each section-

Champ- Polysteel, Camborne
1st- Helston, St Dennis
3rd- AW Parker, Hayle
4th Bream, Swindon
quote]

Thanks for the vote of confidence - it will be very interesting being on stage with a different Musical Director.

Our own Musical Director (Kevin White) is not available due to the impending birth (due on the contest day) of his and Jo's first child.

We are thrilled that Roger Phelps has stepped into the breach - coming out of retirement. We know we are in very capable hands and hoping to perform well under his baton.

We have a full band around the stand having registered a couple of players in the run up to the contest - mostly from our training band - and will take to the stage with a percussion section with an average age of only 12. Kathryn steps up to become principal percussionist at 14, while Matt (13) and Rebecca (11) make their contest debuts.

Lets hope we can produce a performance worthy of the vote of confidence.

davethehorny
23.02.2008, 21:48
Good luck to all at Bream in the Fourth Section - it was great to dep for you at the GBBA contest a couple of weeks ago.

We look forward to having you up in the Third Section next year.

QAD
23.02.2008, 22:45
Good luck to all at Bream in the Fourth Section - it was great to dep for you at the GBBA contest a couple of weeks ago.

We look forward to having you up in the Third Section next year.
Thanks DaveTheBass
Great to have your assistance at the GBBA. And good luck with Dark Side.

weenie
24.02.2008, 00:43
Yes good luck to my old band Bream and also to Roger and Drybrook........good to see you back Rog!!

BassBlaster
24.02.2008, 12:58
Of course Weenie your famous now, being on points west, good luck on finding a permenant bandroom.
Are you going to go on stage as Elvis at Torquay?, a very fetching outfit at my Nieces party, check out Chalfords website for the picture!.

jim
24.02.2008, 20:16
Elvis you kept that quite weenie!!!

snazzy_cornet_sound
26.02.2008, 15:59
Looking forward to the day out!! How is everyone getting on preparing?? we have had two fatalities within our ranks! One member ended up half way down a cliff after doing a charity skydive with me and the other one has broke his arm somehow!! they are both making a swift recovery though! Really enjoying the test piece, very tricky this year it takes a very quality band to pull this one off! Ball at his best.

agodwin
26.02.2008, 17:41
Of course Weenie your famous now, being on points west, good luck on finding a permenant bandroom.
Are you going to go on stage as Elvis at Torquay?, a very fetching outfit at my Nieces party, check out Chalfords website for the picture!.

Actually, the outfit at the party was Freddie Mercury!

BassBlaster
26.02.2008, 23:28
Ahhh, Freddy eh!, see I was sober and don`t know no better. Blummin heck Andy, your 50 AND you use the computer!!!!, Principle Cornet as well!!!.
I may buy you a pint in Torquay, if you play your cadenza perfectly.

Kiz7
27.02.2008, 00:27
Looking forward to the day out!! How is everyone getting on preparing?? we have had two fatalities within our ranks! One member ended up half way down a cliff after doing a charity skydive with me and the other one has broke his arm somehow!! they are both making a swift recovery though! Really enjoying the test piece, very tricky this year it takes a very quality band to pull this one off! Ball at his best.

Blimey, recovering from fatalities??? They must be TRUE banders!

that's impressive!

snazzy_cornet_sound
28.02.2008, 10:41
Just to add to insult now our Flugel player has perforated his ear drum and might not be able to play!! Its really not our year this year!

Flugirl
28.02.2008, 13:01
whats all this talk about my party eh :P! weenie i thought ur freddie mercury costume was rather fethching HAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAAAAaa! But can i just say i thought u were even more good looking when u dressed up as a woman! HAHAH do u remember the bonnet :P? ? ? ? ? ? dont worry if u dont .. i have many pictures to remind you ! X X

snazzy_cornet_sound
28.02.2008, 16:52
does anyone know if any recordings are going to be made?! Been confirmed that I am now going to be playing flugel! And I havn't even mastered the cornet yet! just what you want a week and a half before the area! Oh well thats life....

boagy
29.02.2008, 14:27
Fatalities, Russians, Elvis and Freddy Mercury!!!!!

Well any way, all the best to every band performing next weekend, good to see Lanner back. See you all in the bar. Oh yes Weenie I have seen your ‘Freddy’ jacket and its very ‘nice’ the likeness is uncanny. Good luck Paul on Flugel

Cheers now

The Colonel

Liz Courts
29.02.2008, 15:07
Oh dear! Things don't seem to be going too well in Camborne!! I'll have to cheer extra loud for you lot this year!

Paul - I'm sure you'll make an excellent Flugel player!

MattEarl
03.03.2008, 16:00
Well folks, it's the final week of rehearsals and Torquay is drawing nearer.
Starting to get quite excited about it all.

Good luck to all the bands competeing especially our fellow GBBA members.

davethehorny
03.03.2008, 18:21
Well folks, it's the final week of rehearsals and Torquay is drawing nearer.
Starting to get quite excited about it all.

Good luck to all the bands competeing especially our fellow GBBA members.

I don't know what you are getting so excited about Matt - anyone would think that you were getting nervous about all those people watching you wave the stick.

Best of luck to Cheltenham for Saturday - shame I won't be there to see it.

MattEarl
03.03.2008, 19:20
I don't know what you are getting so excited about Matt - anyone would think that you were getting nervous about all those people watching you wave the stick.

Best of luck to Cheltenham for Saturday - shame I won't be there to see it.
Thanks Dave, I've been trying to forget about that. Sleepless nights, can't stop humming/singing/whistling the test piece, please tell me that it get's easier???!!!! :confused:

Keith Lewis
03.03.2008, 22:09
Good luck Portishead!

1st time in the 1st section, play well on and off the contest stage.:clap:

davethehorny
03.03.2008, 22:26
Thanks Dave, I've been trying to forget about that. Sleepless nights, can't stop humming/singing/whistling the test piece, please tell me that it get's easier???!!!! :confused:

Matt - Of course it gets easier - about 5.00 O Clock Saturday afternoon.

Just after the results and about the third pint!

tam-tam2
04.03.2008, 01:43
Come on people this thread is a little quiet!! Who's confident? Who's enoying the test piece? Who thinks it's all coming together? Who wants to cry? Let your feelings be known!!

I am pleased with the way we are playing. I think the First Section is probably going to be the most competitive of the day - but I may be a bit biased!! Would actually have loved to have played Festival Music but old Jimmy Cook is chucking out a few problems!!

All the best to all bands for next weekend - it is sure to be a great contest. I am looK forward to seeing you in the bar afterwards! Please come and say hello as otherwise I may be a lonely Welshman!!

snazzy_cornet_sound
04.03.2008, 10:52
Come on people this thread is a little quiet!! Who's confident? Who's enoying the test piece? Who thinks it's all coming together? Who wants to cry? Let your feelings be known!!

Im trying to get my confidence up for it! been shoved on to Flugel a week before the area! although me and the rest of my band are loving Festival Music! Frank Renton is hot on his heels for this one so should be a good weeks practice! although I still want to cry! want to be back on Cornet!

JesTperfect!
04.03.2008, 11:06
Im trying to get my confidence up for it! been shoved on to Flugel a week before the area! although me and the rest of my band are loving Festival Music! Frank Renton is hot on his heels for this one so should be a good weeks practice! although I still want to cry! want to be back on Cornet!

You clearly LOVE it Saggers : )

QAD
04.03.2008, 11:36

Piece is sounding pretty good, but we've had the usual problems before a contest. Two players down, with some reshuffling in the band to fill the gaps. Tonight should show if the sectionals have paid off.
Will be glad to put the four cheese symphony back in the cupboard where long may it rest - we had a blast through Dark Side of Moon and the band sight-read it very well - wouldn't mind sneaking onto the third section stage and playing it.
Can't say that I'm impressed with the organisation deciding not to relegate any bands out of the third section this year, when four years ago we were demoted with 5 other bands because three were on equal points and two were rule N. After 4 gruelling years in the fourth section it doesn't seem fair - why not promote three or four bands last year? Can't take another year of it :mad: down hear - anyone gotta ladder?

MattEarl
04.03.2008, 14:50
......After 4 gruelling years in the fourth section it doesn't seem fair - why not promote three or four bands last year? Can't take another year of it :mad: down hear - anyone gotta ladder?

Huw, best of luck to you and the band on Saturday, Bream have sounded great for years and deserve to be out of the 4th section.

Will be glad to put the four cheese symphony back in the cupboard where long may it rest

Cheltenham are producing a good quality sounds and are all looking forward to Saturday, and like Bream some are also looking forward to putting the piece away!!!!

QAD
04.03.2008, 15:08
Huw, best of luck to you and the band on Saturday, Bream have sounded great for years and deserve to be out of the 4th section.
Cheltenham are producing a good quality sounds and are all looking forward to Saturday, and like Bream some are also looking forward to putting the piece away!!!!
Good luck Matt,
If this piece has been buzzing around your head then you have my deepest sympathies.
Looking forward to a good day at the seaside.
Best of luck Cheltenham,
Huw

Chunky
04.03.2008, 15:27
Good luck to all at Bream from your Norfolk fan club!

tinytimp
04.03.2008, 16:10
All the best to all bands for next weekend - it is sure to be a great contest. I am looK forward to seeing you in the bar afterwards! Please come and say hello as otherwise I may be a lonely Welshman!!

Don't worry Tim here's a lonely Welsh girl to keep you company! I'm quite looking forward to the weekend and competing in the West of England for the first time. Although I may get confused seeing as I'd only just managed to keep up with the Welsh politics before moving down here!

At least preparation for Festival Music hasn't had me quaking in my boots, the only problem will be staying awake until the third movement!

Good luck to all competing, I'm hoping to come and listen to some of the other sections on Saturday - after the Wales game of course! :D

davethehorny
04.03.2008, 18:47
Can't say that I'm impressed with the organisation deciding not to relegate any bands out of the third section this year, when four years ago we were demoted with 5 other bands because three were on equal points and two were rule N. After 4 gruelling years in the fourth section it doesn't seem fair - why not promote three or four bands last year? Can't take another year of it :mad: down hear - anyone gotta ladder?

Huw - understand your thoughts but we had to ensure that the Third Section had more bands in it. Each year a band seems to disappear from the Third Section, or merge prior to being relegated from the Second Section, and so the numbers get less each year.

The rules do not allow us to promote more bands to resolve the issue but they do allow us to not relegate and this was the chosen route. It could turn out to be a problem for a band finishing in the bottom two - they could face certain relegation after next years contest if they do not finish in the top two or three in 2009.

We do however look forward to having three Forest bands in the Third Section in 2009, assuming either Pillowell or Drybrook don't get promoted by some miracle. Statistically unlikely but who knows!

Best of luck on Saturday to all at Bream - although I am sue you don't need it.

Sop_Or_Bass?
04.03.2008, 18:50

I want to cry... but the test piece preparation is going well as Huw posted earlier. We just need to make it all happen on the day...

Looking forward to the contest, the beer, and meeting up with friends afterwards. Not staying in Torquay this year (coach there and back on Saturday) so won't be able to hear many bands :-(

Hopefully see ya there and best of luck to all the Forest bands

Neil

meandmycornet
04.03.2008, 19:03
Wahey! Only a few days to go now! Two rehearsals left for Lympstone!

Mr 4barsrest Man has got the runners and riders up already (well done that man!) find them all in the articles section of the website! Makes for interesting reading!

Best of luck to everybody, hope you all have a fantastic weekend!

Fi xx

BassBlaster
04.03.2008, 19:44
What a strong line up in the first section, nearly all the bands seem to have a chance!.

vcbjet
04.03.2008, 23:34
Good luck to Verwood Concert Brass on Sunday, I hope u guys give em something to listen out to! Im afraid I will be stuck up in the Midlands so wont be able to support you on the day! All the best! JT

Mesmerist
04.03.2008, 23:46
Good luck to Verwood Concert Brass on Sunday, I hope u guys give em something to listen out to! Im afraid I will be stuck up in the Midlands so wont be able to support you on the day! All the best! JT

Thanks James!
Have to confess tempers are fraying and stress levels rising as the big day approaches...You should have heard the ticking off we had monday from the MD (and it was real anger). It was recorded but sadly Sally stopped it near the start of it... You know how you play away thinking this sounds quite good and then you hear the recording and cringe? ouch!
Still we will give it our all and no one can say we have not worked our socks off to get that promotion. I wish everyone else good fortune and hope we all play well!:)

Kiz7
05.03.2008, 00:16

Hey, Matt!

Has the pressure got to you and you backed out or is the listing of John Button as MD on 4bars rest a mistake?

Kiz7
05.03.2008, 00:20
I want to cry... but the test piece preparation is going well as Huw posted earlier. We just need to make it all happen on the day...

Looking forward to the contest, the beer, and meeting up with friends afterwards. Not staying in Torquay this year (coach there and back on Saturday) so won't be able to hear many bands :-(

Hopefully see ya there and best of luck to all the Forest bands

Neil

Surely its not THAT bad that you want to cry Neil???

Sop_Or_Bass?
05.03.2008, 09:14
Surely its not THAT bad that you want to cry Neil???

No, only joking... :D

rachael
05.03.2008, 10:31
Good luck Portishead!

1st time in the 1st section, play well on and off the contest stage.:clap:

Thanks jasper.........we miss you....hope your leg gets better soon. Torquay wont be the same without you this year.....who will do the french fighter pilot impression?!?! :wink: :grnsm

Up the 'ead!!!

The_Eighth_Dwarf
05.03.2008, 12:04
Aye,

good luck Portshead! Looking forward to a few drinks with you all in the hotel on the evening! I'm sure you all still owe me a few pints!!!!!!!!!

MattEarl
05.03.2008, 13:33
Hey, Matt!

Has the pressure got to you and you backed out or is the listing of John Button as MD on 4bars rest a mistake?

Can't get shot of me that easily, I guess 4BR had John from last year on their records; I'm on there now.

As for the dark horse - no pressure!!! :confused:

Looking forward to the day and am confident that the band are going to play well; one more rehearsal left!!

Duracell
05.03.2008, 13:52
Matt - only one rehearsal???? but there's lots of days between now and Saturday!!!!

And as for being a dark horse - we've known that for a long time....

Good Luck Matt :tup

MattEarl
05.03.2008, 16:04
Matt - only one rehearsal???? but there's lots of days between now and Saturday!!!!

And as for being a dark horse - we've known that for a long time....

Good Luck Matt :tup

Actually it's two rehearsals not one - we can't take anymore!!!

I'm not quite sure what you are implying about my dark past?????

Forest Gump
05.03.2008, 16:45
The 4br predictions made intresting reading, don't know how they come there conclusions?, still best off luck to all of the bands taking part this weekend especially the forest bands.

davethehorny
05.03.2008, 17:15
Actually it's two rehearsals not one - we can't take anymore!!!

I'm not quite sure what you are implying about my dark past?????

Matt - your dark past is well documented - remember the dress in Harrogate? A light green number if I remember rightly. Very you!

As you are not sure what day it is or even how many rehersals there are left, I would suggest adrenaline has taken over- but don't worry I am sure there will be many 1000's on TMP's to witness your performance.

No pressure then - best of luck from all at Drybrook.

davethehorny
05.03.2008, 17:16
The 4br predictions made intresting reading, don't know how they come there conclusions?, still best off luck to all of the bands taking part this weekend especially the forest bands.

Guesswork mainly!

But often better not to get tipped in the top 6. So often the kiss of death.

MattEarl
05.03.2008, 17:39
Matt - your dark past is well documented - remember the dress in Harrogate? A light green number if I remember rightly. Very you!

Oh I remember it so well!!!

- but don't worry I am sure there will be many 1000's on TMP's to witness your performance.

No pressure then - best of luck from all at Drybrook.

Thanks Dave (I think)

Good luck to Drybrook too. I hope all is well there, can't wait to catch up with you all.

Lenny_The_Shark
05.03.2008, 17:47
Good luck to all the bands in the West of England this weekend, it's going to be strange not being there this year (mutter mutter too many contests on the same day mutter mutter), I'm going to be in the slightly less glamourous location of Swansea.

Duracell
05.03.2008, 19:46
Matt & Dave

Please can we remember whose green number it was....

It never made it back to my wardrobe!

davethehorny
05.03.2008, 21:22
Matt & Dave

Please can we remember whose green number it was....

It never made it back to my wardrobe!

I thought Matt looked great in it - with his lip stick, eyeliner and hairy legs.

More Emily Howard - ropey transvestite than a real lady.

Shame we can't post photos on this forum. Although they can be made available for a small fee.

alks
05.03.2008, 23:48
Dam, Im sitting here shivering away with a stinker of a cold(i hate the shivers). Just what i need with 3 days to go! Looks like its getting worse too with my throat puffing up. oh well, will just have to go and struggle through. Lots of fruit for me.

The band is playing well. And this year our soprano playing purcussionist is just playing sop.

Good luck to all the bands. Hopefully I will make it.......

alks

MattEarl
06.03.2008, 00:09
Just found out that our hotel has been closed down due to the NOra virus, yes, it's hit Torquay!!

Let's hope we can fend that off and that our new hotel in Babbacombe is ok!!

Brings a whole new meaning to sh**ting yourself!

Am I ME?
06.03.2008, 00:14
Really looking forward to Torquay now, we're all travelling up in cars on friday which means no ridiculously early ferry time!

ploughboy
06.03.2008, 01:20
Just found out that our hotel has been closed down due to the NOra virus, yes, it's hit Torquay!!

Let's hope we can fend that off and that our new hotel in Babbacombe is ok!!

Brings a whole new meaning to sh**ting yourself!

Which Hotel was that?

GingerMaestro
06.03.2008, 09:52
Good luck to Matt Earl and everyone at Cheltenham Silver.

Lets hope you can do just as well as last year, not the 7th Place but beating you know who:biggrin:

Good Luck:tup

QAD
06.03.2008, 11:33
Guesswork mainly!

But often better not to get tipped in the top 6. So often the kiss of death.
To be fair 4br didn't too badly on their predictions in Yorkshire - hope fully they've got their fourth section predictions the wrong way around again for the West of England though

snazzy_cornet_sound
06.03.2008, 11:42
I hope they haven't given us the kiss of death this year! I want to go see the queen this year! although if it doesn't go to plan St Magnus at the Scottish Open will be awesome to play!

GingerMaestro
06.03.2008, 11:44
Good Luck at the Weekend Huw I hope is all going well for the band in preparation and You need to Qualify so that Mum and Dad can have their annual trip to Haragate to support you and do the draw for Harold

Good Luck Guys

Also Good Luck to Dave and all at AW Parker Drybrook

QAD
06.03.2008, 12:10
Good Luck at the Weekend Huw I hope is all going well for the band in preparation and You need to Qualify so that Mum and Dad can have their annual trip to Haragate to support you and do the draw for Harold

Good Luck Guys

Also Good Luck to Dave and all at AW Parker Drybrook
Cheers GingerMaestro,
We'll do our best to get there - hopefully Peter Roberts and Rob Wiffin will agree on my reading of it and the band will play well enough. Lots of unkowns this year though, two down from the third section and a new band again... it will be a very interesting day.
Huw

Liz Loftus
06.03.2008, 13:57
Dam, Im sitting here shivering away with a stinker of a cold(i hate the shivers). Just what i need with 3 days to go! Looks like its getting worse too with my throat puffing up. oh well, will just have to go and struggle through. Lots of fruit for me.

The band is playing well. And this year our soprano playing purcussionist is just playing sop.

Good luck to all the bands. Hopefully I will make it.......

alks

What a dissapointment re the sop not playing percussion as well - it was so entertaining last year and he did brilliantly :tup will try and ge to hear some of the 4th section but we are playing at the same time so might be tricky,good luck though!!!

Liz Loftus
06.03.2008, 14:45
Our final rehearsal tonight!!

We have had our fair share of problems in preparing for this one. started when we found out the sop and percussion section had booked a holiday to Gambia that clashed with the areas :eek: Thankfully we have managed to find excellent replacements :tup

The last few weeks have been a bit rocky with the usual illnesses - quite a nasty bug going around North Devon at the moment, I have been hit by it and not been able to breath properly for nearly 2 weeks - the 2nd movement is still a killer!! Several other players are aslo struggling. Our solo trombone fell on Sunday morning and managed to crack her ribs, this is to add to the tennis elbow she suffers from leaves her in a bit of a mess :eek:

loving the piece though and looking forward to the weekend we are stayig for both days - being invaded by 4 poor students who better hadn't distrub my beauty sleep ;)

Good luck to everyone, the 2nd section is really close and should be interesting and I'm especially looking forward to the championship section, although Polysteel should be the band to beat, its goingto be very close with Cambourne and Woodfalls. Special good luck to Lympstone!!
say hello if you see us in the bar:biggrin:

MattEarl
06.03.2008, 18:50
Good luck to Matt Earl and everyone at Cheltenham Silver.

Lets hope you can do just as well as last year, not the 7th Place but beating you know who:biggrin:

Good Luck:tup

Thanks GM, aiming to please...........:biggrin:

Good luck at the mids

pvillers
06.03.2008, 19:03
It's nice to have such a musical and generally classy piece as Festival Music to play at the areas. It's not always the case that you get the chance to play a piece of music you actually enjoy playing for the areas.

Best of luck to all competing bands!!

tam-tam2
08.03.2008, 00:53
Well just back from our last rehearsal and post rehearsal debrief in the pub - things going well and if we have a good run through tomorrow with a bit of luck on our side we should do well.

On a personal point of view, I managed to break my little finger on my right hand this morning and it really hurts!! Not the thing you want the day before the contest!! Oh well, a little pain never hurt anyone!! See you in the bar I suppose.

All the best to all competing bands, I hope you all have a really good day but try not to be beat us!!:biggrin:

Cyndy
08.03.2008, 17:13
2nd Section Results

1. Bristol East and Kingswood, R. Curran, 8, 188
2. Shrewton Silver, M. Dunford, 5, 186
3. Soundhouse Brass, G. Pumford, 9, 185
4. Michelmersh Silver, M. White, 3, 183
5. Camborne B, A. Pope, 12, 181
6. Forest Of Dean Brass, J. Gwynne, 1, 179
7. Phoenix Brass (Crewkerne), P. Slator, 6, 177
8. Gillingham Imperial Silver, A. McRae, 10, 176
9. South Molton Town, T. Treherne, 7, 175
10. Filton Concert Brass, B. James, 11, 174
11. St. Pinnock, S. White, 2, 173
12. Solent Concert Brass, W. Garner, 4, 171
Torbay Brass, B. Cole, w

Top 2 bands qualify
From 4barsrest.com

Cyndy
08.03.2008, 18:29
Section 4

Saturday 8 March
The Arena
Adjudicators: Peter Roberts & Rob Wiffin
Four Cities Symphony - Rodney Newton
Commences: 1100

14. Bideford Town, G. Taylor, 2, 171
Bratton Silver, w

Courtesy of www.4barsrest.com (http://www.4barsrest.com/)
4. Bream Silver, H. Cole, 17, 181
1. Brunel Brass, J. Winterflood, 7, 185
7. Chalford Academy Brass, S. Tubb, 1, 178
15. Cheltenham Silver, M. Earl, 18, 170
11. Downton, R. Wright, 13, 174
20. Gosport Silver, R. Sharp, 19, 165
17. Hatherleigh Silver, R. Wonnacott, 5, 168
18. Marshfield, 10, 167
9. New Forest Brass, I. Luxford, 15, 176
19. Okehampton Excelsior Silver, D. Law, 3, 166
16. Porthleven Town, E. Ralph, 8, 169
5. Shanklin Town Brass (Low), M. Lewis, 20, 180
12. Spinnaker Brass, D. Jones, 16, 173
10. Swindon Brass, F. Cowley, 12, 175
8. Tewkesbury Town, N. Morgan, 9, , 177
13. Torrington Silver, T. Hutchings, 14, 172
3. Totnes, I. Wilkinson, 4, 182
6. Weymouth Concert Brass, A. Glynn, 11, 179
2. Wincanton Silver, B. Kelloway, 6, 183

Top 3 bands qualify

Kiz7
08.03.2008, 19:07
Section 4

Saturday 8 March
The Arena
Commences: 1100

Bratton Silver, w

Courtesy of www.4barsrest.com (http://www.4barsrest.com/)
18. Marshfield, 10, 167

Top 3 bands qualify

Congratulations to Bream - that MUST mean you are promoted to the 3rd section now surely?

Cyndy
08.03.2008, 19:34
Congratulations to Bream - that MUST mean you are promoted to the 3rd section now surely?

Yes well done Bream.
Sorry my post is such a mess,:( must of been a senior moment:-?

Forest Gump
08.03.2008, 21:19
March
The Forum
Adjudicators: Alan Hope & Colin Hardy
James Cook - Circumnavigator - Gilbert Vinter
Commences: 1530

9. Bodmin, H. Williams, 7, 181
8. Chalford, S. Tubb, 13, 182
14. Cinderford, L. Baglin, 1, 176
11. City Of Bristol, I. Holmes, 8, 179
1. Helston Town, J. Hitchens, 4, 191
12. Lanner and District Silver, C. Toghill, 2, 178
4. Lympstone South West Telecoms, C. Fleming, 3, 187
6. Ocean Brass, N. Grace, 9, 184
2. Otterbourne Brass, Lt. Col. C. Davis OBE, 10, 190
7. Portishead Town, I. Dickinson, 12, 183
3. Sherborne Town, P. Cosh, 5, 188
5. St. Dennis, B. Minear, 11, 185
13. Swindon Pegasus Brass, S. Armstrong-Watkins, 14, 177
10. Woodfalls Concert Brass, S. Dunster, 6, 180

Top 2 bands qualify

feel sorry for Cinderford playing off no1 2 years in a row.
results from 4br

Kiz7
08.03.2008, 22:10
All results from today in order:

Section 1

Saturday 8 March
The Forum

Section 2

Saturday 8 March
The Forum
Three Part Invention - Kenneth Downie

1. Bristol East and Kingswood, R. Curran, 8, 188
2. Shrewton Silver, M. Dunford, 5, 186
3. Soundhouse Brass, G. Pumford, 9, 185
4. Michelmersh Silver, M. White, 3, 183
5. Camborne B, A. Pope, 12, 181
6. Forest Of Dean Brass, J. Gwynne, 1, 179
7. Phoenix Brass (Crewkerne), P. Slator, 6, 177
8. Gillingham Imperial Silver, A. McRae, 10, 176
9. South Molton Town, T. Treherne, 7, 175
10. Filton Concert Brass, B. James, 11, 174
11. St. Pinnock, S. White, 2, 173
12. Solent Concert Brass, W. Garner, 4, 171
Torbay Brass, B. Cole, w

Top 2 bands qualify

Section 4

Saturday 8 March
The Arena

18. Marshfield, 10, 167
Bratton Silver, w

Surprised at Cinderford's result - thought this piece would be right up their street.

Kiz7
08.03.2008, 22:20
Not been a good weekend so far for Gloucestershire Brass Bands so good luck to our remaining representatives Drybrook, Lydbrook, Polysteel and Pillowell.

Earn yourselves a finals place and local bragging rights!

tubbytuba
08.03.2008, 22:35
Nice to see another piece of fantastic adjudication from the team of Hope and Hardy (maybe Laurel might be better suited to the task!!!) it is time that the so called ajudicators sit some manditory testing as to there ability to do the job.I think Alan Morrison needs to be listened to.Having played in the 2nd section at Torquay,heard the adjudicators comments from the stage and yes Alan Hope, Torquay is in Devon not Cornwall and then to read the comments from them its pitiful!!!!! I do hope they make a much much better job of it on Sunday lets see what happens. As for seven (7) points between the first placed band and ourselves in fifth crazy adjudication

DeafeningRoar
08.03.2008, 23:00
Just to add a bit of balance to the above!....
Well done to Bristol East & Kingswood and Shrewton on qualification (You`ll do us proud in Harrogate I`m sure!).
Also well done to Soundhouse and Michelmersh on their promotion to the first section! :)

BassBlaster
08.03.2008, 23:09
Well done to Chalford Academy Brass, 7th off a no 1 draw, I listened to a few in the 4th section and the standard was really high.
Unfortunatly, we at Chalford band only came 8th in the first section, no complaints, we were ok, left the best one in the bandroom, usual excuse, but really enjoyed working on the music, just got back home and poured myself a cider.

tubbytuba
08.03.2008, 23:10
Meant to add my heartfelt congrats to the bands that played and got the results they were after today.For my own band well done on our first outing in the second section,we played well with only 5 adults and the rest of the band under 19

BassBlaster
08.03.2008, 23:13
A special well done to City of Bristol, nice to see you back!!!!.

Keith Lewis
08.03.2008, 23:24
Well done Portishead:clap: first time in this section, I wish I could have been with you:(.

Big congrats to Beak, Shrewton (well done Michael, shame we won't be going to the finals with you again) and the dwarf playing from one end of the band to the other:wink:.

Question-after the area, can the grading tables or who goes up or down be posted from the powers that be please?

BassBlaster
08.03.2008, 23:42
Meant to add my heartfelt congrats to the bands that played and got the results they were after today.For my own band well done on our first outing in the second section,we played well with only 5 adults and the rest of the band under 19
Well done, it was the same in the 4th section for Chalford Academy Brass, It`s the only way to go, set up a B band, youth band, beginners. And I think in the West of England, even the top bands realise that, go into the local schools and spread the word!.

WagTheStick
09.03.2008, 00:10
Nice to see another piece of fantastic adjudication from the team of Hope and Hardy (maybe Laurel might be better suited to the task!!!) it is time that the so called ajudicators sit some manditory testing as to there ability to do the job.I think Alan Morrison needs to be listened to.Having played in the 2nd section at Torquay,heard the adjudicators comments from the stage and yes Alan Hope, Torquay is in Devon not Cornwall and then to read the comments from them its pitiful!!!!! I do hope they make a much much better job of it on Sunday lets see what happens. As for seven (7) points between the first placed band and ourselves in fifth crazy adjudication

Any more info on why they were so bad? I notice Alan Hope asked for 'only what it said on the tin' in Yorkshire last week?

WagTheStick
09.03.2008, 00:24
Any more info on why they were so bad? I notice Alan Hope asked for 'only what it said on the tin' in Yorkshire last week?

Should have added 'alledgedly' so bad - and add that I agree with his comments in Yorkshire (and those made by Billy Rushworth in the band press echoing the sentiment this week). I rate both Colin Hardy and Alan Hope very highly - actually they are amongst a few adjudicators that consistantly ask for the same thing - i.e. what it says on the paper!:eek:

ophicliede
09.03.2008, 08:17
Well lots of talk on this site about the merits and suitability of Four Cities Symphony and now the test has been run and bands have talked through their perfomances yesterday it might well be time to reflect. I listened to several bands some highly favoured to win and sadly whilst the dots were played the performances did not always capture the musicality of this test. I think before any of us including myself are too scathing about music set we need to realise what effect it will have on our performance and how we treat the music. If we are preparing a band, the influence it will have on the players as they too are preparing for the test. I personally initially wrote off this test piece however as preparations began, I grew to realise that I was wrong, my humble apologies to the composer Rodney Newton.

bass-slider
09.03.2008, 09:34
Thank-you for the message. This time last year City of Bristol had less than ten players. Yesterday we played in the first section with three players short, six players who'd never played in a contest before and with two of our training band in the ranks (aged 10 and 11). We'd achieved our goal even before playing and to come 11th was a real bonus. Credit to all involved.

Sop_Or_Bass?
09.03.2008, 09:42
Not been a good weekend so far for Gloucestershire Brass Bands...

Great result for Bream - promoted to 3rd Section without having to spend huge amounts of money going to the Nationals for a 3rd year in a row :clap:

alks
09.03.2008, 10:47
Well I think going without any percussion is not really a wise idea for our band, but at least we went and enjoyed the day.
Funny our second baritone was slated for being wayward....even though we didnt have a second bari!

well done to all those who qualify.

alks

steve butler
09.03.2008, 17:12
CONGRATULATIONS Verwood, brilliant result!!!
Well done all, especially Wendy and David, absolutely thrilled for you.

ophicliede
09.03.2008, 17:24
Well done Brunel Brass, 15 months old. With 19 teenagers in the band and now 4th Section Regional Champions. Only in December did you compete against the new 3rd Section Regional Champions and a second section band at the Wessex Contest in Weymouth and beat them. Well done to all concerned and your extraordinary talent and efforts since our formation. Lets hope we can continue this incredible musical journey!

IoW_Sparky
09.03.2008, 17:26
All results from today in order:

Section 1

Saturday 8 March
The Forum

Section 2

Section 4

Saturday 8 March
The Arena

18. Marshfield, 10, 167
Bratton Silver, w

Surprised at Cinderford's result - thought this piece would be right up their street.

I'm Surprised that people don't know where Shanklin is - we're not from the 'Low Countries' at all but the IoW, i.e. the Isle of Wight! - and we're extremely pleased with our result. Congratulations to all who took part, it was a great contest. IoW Sparky

vcbjet
09.03.2008, 17:31
Just heard from my family that Verwood have won the Third Section! Fantastic result and very well deserved after all the hard work you put in! I am thrilled to bits for you all! Three wins in four years (with a 4th place last year) is a superb record, abosolutely delighted! Congratulations! Or as Mr J would say ACE!

Bandito
09.03.2008, 20:52
Just to add a bit of balance to the above!....
Well done to Bristol East & Kingswood and Shrewton on qualification (You`ll do us proud in Harrogate I`m sure!).
Also well done to Soundhouse and Michelmersh on their promotion to the first section! :)

T'anks for zee kind words 'an zee support. Ahora viajamos al norte para la batalla grande. Good luck too to our amigos Bristol East & Kingswood.

Viva Shrewton! Viva! Viva Bristol East & Kingswood! :D

Forest Gump
09.03.2008, 20:53
Championship Section

Sunday 9 March
The Forum
Festival Music - Eric Ball
Commences: 1500

1. Mount Charles, A. Duncan, 8, 193
2. SWT Woodfalls, Dr. N. Childs, 7, 192
3. PolySteel, P. Harper, 3, 189
4. St. Keverne, S. Chappell, 11, 189
5. Lydbrook, T. Brevik, 9, 188
6. Camborne Town, F. Renton, 1, 187

Aldbourne, M. White, 6
Bournemouth Concert Brass, Major P. Parkes, 4
Hyde, P. Wise, 2
Poole Borough, P. Randell, 10
St. Austell Town, Dr. R Newsome, 12
Yeovil Town, D. Barringer, 5

Top 2 bands qualify
from 4Br

matt_BBb_bass
09.03.2008, 20:59
1. Mount Charles, A. Duncan, 8, 193
2. SWT Woodfalls, Dr. N. Childs, 7, 192
3. PolySteel, P. Harper, 3, 190
4. St. Keverne, S. Chappell, 11, 189
5. Lydbrook, T. Brevik, 9, 188
6. Camborne Town, F. Renton, 1, 187
7. St. Austell Town, Dr. R Newsome, 12, 186
8. Yeovil Town, D. Barringer, 5, 185
9. Poole Borough, P. Randell, 10, 184
10. Bournemouth Concert Brass, Major P. Parkes, 4, 183
11. Hyde, P. Wise, 2, 182
12. Aldbourne, M. White, 6, 181

Full Results

From 4br

Forest Gump
09.03.2008, 20:59
Brilliant result for Lydbrook well and what a dramatic turn around since last year, don't think 4 bars rest will be having a go at you this time.
:clap:

4thmandown
09.03.2008, 21:02
Great result for Lydbrook. I think that 4BR will be eating their words from last year and choking on them; all washed down with a whine made from sour grapes!

brassbandmaestro
09.03.2008, 21:11
well to all competing bands. Congrats to the winners and commiseration to the losers.

Sop_Or_Bass?
09.03.2008, 21:30
Have worked through the tables (unofficially), but wondering what happens where a band hasn't competed for 3 years as with Test Valley. Can't see the rule on the Kapitol website as being updated.

What's the rule in this circumstance as may/not affect Lydney and South Molton from my workings (Torbay on 37, Test Valley on 35 and Lydney/South Molton on 30)?

tubbytuba
09.03.2008, 21:33
In reply to Wag The Stick re Hope and Hardy when you play whats written as its put on "The Can" you expect to be judged by the same standards im glad they are so highly respected by yourself and i respect your opinion but from my own experience i beg to differ as do many others.See the other postings re the second Bari they didnt even have one!!!!

Accidental
09.03.2008, 21:40
[/COLOR]
Have worked through the tables (unofficially), but wondering what happens where a band hasn't competed for 3 years as with Test Valley. Can't see the rule on the Kapitol website as being updated.
Taken from the last copy of the rules, which should stay unchanged:
l) Any band failing to compete, or which is disqualified from the Contest in any particular year, will be given one place lower than the lowest placed competing band in that section.

m) Any band failing to compete for two consecutive years can be relegated, at the discretion of the Regional Committee, in addition to any action taken under Rule (g). (relegations according to aggregate points)

n) Any band failing to compete for three consecutive years will be removed from the Grading Tables at the end of the third year. If such a band wishes to resume participation in the Contest, it will be treated as a first time entry.

BassBlaster
09.03.2008, 22:40
Well done Lydbrook, nice one, I raise a drink to you, of cider. You deserve it.

jim
10.03.2008, 00:43
really bemused by Hope & Hardy, I havnt spoken to one person this weekend who has any faith in them. some very odd results in there respective sections.

weenie
10.03.2008, 01:10
Well done to Mount Charles and Woodfalls and to Lydbrook for a fine 5th place.

I've never been one to moan about a poor result but this one really sticks in the throat and I've no shame in saying to Mr. Hope and Mr. Hardy I hope the next time you come to Torquay it will be on a SAGA holiday!!

Sopmaestro
10.03.2008, 01:25
hmmmmmmm thats another fine mess you've got us into Mr Hardy.Which tin were you referring to that we needed to play off ? Am now home after the wasted trip to Torquay and enjoying a tin of soup which is going down far better than our result today ! :o)

Bari2
10.03.2008, 02:00
I'm still as angry as I was when the results were given out. Hope & Hardy - more like Laurel & Hardy, and the latter pairing could probably have done a better job.

tubbytuba
10.03.2008, 08:44
Take a look back at some of the other recent postings (pages 7+) think its deffo time to start speaking up, band commitees and secretarys etc the ajudication system is a real joke at present.Take a look at what some of these so called adjudicators have acheived NOTHING/ZERO lets get some people that know the job!!!!

MattEarl
10.03.2008, 09:28
Great result for Bream - promoted to 3rd Section without having to spend huge amounts of money going to the Nationals for a 3rd year in a row :clap:

Well done Bream for the performance on Saturday and best of luck in the third section!

Well done also to Lydbrook, two fine results from Gloucestershire!

Anno Draconis
10.03.2008, 09:36
Take a look at what some of these so called adjudicators have acheived NOTHING/ZERO lets get some people that know the job!!!!

Suggestions? :D

Seriously, I think you may overestimate the number of people who actually want to adjudicate. It's a rotten job, and in many cases the most experienced people will get a lot more money (and kudos) from conducting at a contest than adjudicating it. So Roy Newsome, Nick Childs, Frank Renton, Peter Parkes, Philip Harper, etc. are ruled out, as are all the MDs conducting in Scotland, the North West, Wales, and the Midlands thus eliminating people like Robert Childs, Ian Porthouse, Russell Gray, Ray Farr, Garry Cutt, Nigel Seaman, Duncan Beckley. Then there's the conflict of interest issue discussed in this thread (http://www.themouthpiece.com/vb/showthread.php?t=31566). Plus anyway I'm sure people would complain if Robert Childs adjudicated because his brother is conducting. The running of 5 areas on the same day further depletes the supply of experienced judges, and all of a sudden the list of choices gets a bit thin.

Llamedos
10.03.2008, 09:54
:clap: Congratulations to Bath Spa Band on a very well deserved 2nd place in the 3rd section-no more Dark Side of the Moon guys-Harrogate here we come!!Thanks to all involved,special thanks to Dave Hayward-you're a star mate!!!:clap:

snazzy_cornet_sound
10.03.2008, 10:16
well what a weekend....?!? Still slightly bermused by the whole thing! my I express my thanks to people in the bar for all the positive comments I had regards to my flugel playing! glad to say Im back on the cornet this week! Congratulations to Mount Charles & Woodfalls! Didn't hear your performance. Thanks to everyone in my band for all the hard work this week!

4thmandown
10.03.2008, 10:30
Suggestions? :D

Seriously, I think you may overestimate the number of people who actually want to adjudicate. It's a rotten job, and in many cases the most experienced people will get a lot more money (and kudos) from conducting at a contest than adjudicating it.

Absolutely, it's not a job I would want to do. I can only think back to the stick that Brian Hurdley got a few years back (mostly due to him being misquoted I add). However, a bit of guidance from the powers that be into the judging criteria required for a particular piece might help. This potentially could achieve a set of results that might be less controversial/disputed.

rachael
10.03.2008, 10:38
Thanks to my fellow bandies for a good weekend in Torquay.....'specially my fellow back row girlies.....gr8 "bonding" session at 7am on saturday morning on a rather blustery sea front! ;) (despite us all nearly getting wiped out by a double decker bus!!!)
Coming 7th on our first outing in the 1st section was great (was we robbed?!? :rolleyes: )

Was great to see City of Bristol back......congrats to you all.

Thanks to Kate for her assistance in organising the hotel yet again, and thanks to our hotel "Howden Court" for putting up with us again.....see you next year!

bignige
10.03.2008, 10:40
Congratulations to all Wessex bands that qualified in each section - Brunel & Wincanton, Bath Spa,Shrewton, Otterbourne and SWT Woodfalls - and all the other qualifiers.

We are "over the moon" with our result and just about coming down to earth. All the hard work, anger, sweat, wind etc paid off in the end. Everyone worked hard including those who didn't play on the day.

Hope we can play DSoTM again as it was a great test and I think would go well with audiences. Some non-banders who were subjected to it really enjoyed it.

Back to the fundraising!!

Nigel
Verwood Concert Brass

Accidental
10.03.2008, 10:47
the ajudication system is a real joke at present.Take a look at what some of these so called adjudicators have acheived NOTHING/ZERO lets get some people that know the job!!!!
If you're really serious, then YOU need to go to your regional committee & the NABBA and put your opinions across - whining about it here won't acheive anything.

And before you do, I suggest you check your facts and have a good think about what criteria you would use to choose adjudicators? Everything except a few opinions expressed here (mostly anonymously!) would suggest that Messrs Hope & Hardy are more than adequately qualified & experienced. If you bother to look into the backgrounds of the men you are insulting, you'll see they've both acheived a lot more than 'nothing' and have as much if not more experience as any other guys sitting in the box this weekend. Maybe the result didn't go your way and some people don't agree with the adjudicators? Newsflash - it happens at every single contest!! Get over it!

Mr_Euniverse
10.03.2008, 10:55
Can I say a big well done to my old band SWT Woodfalls on qualifying (without me this time!!)

We put on a super performance but unfortunately didn't get the right adjudicator/ interpretation which means we're looking the 1st section in its face next year.
Gutting and depressing.

****** banding

hicks
10.03.2008, 10:58
If you're really serious, then YOU need to go to your regional committee & the NABBA and put your opinions across - whining about it here won't acheive anything.

And before you do, I suggest you check your facts and have a good think about what criteria you would use to choose adjudicators? Everything except a few opinions expressed here (mostly anonymously!) would suggest that Messrs Hope & Hardy are more than adequately qualified & experienced. If you bother to look into the backgrounds of the men you are insulting, you'll see they've both acheived a lot more than 'nothing' and have as much if not more experience as any other guys sitting in the box this weekend. Maybe the result didn't go your way and some people don't agree with the adjudicators? Newsflash - it happens at every single contest!! Get over it!

I must say I'm a little surprised at the whinging going on here. Ok, so the hot favourites didn't win, but it was always going to be a fairly unpredictable contest, bearing in mind the choice of piece. Any band there had the potential of putting in a winning performance. It didn't go well for us, and I haven't seen the comments yet, but I knew it wasn't the best we'd played.
I wish I'd had the chance to hear the top three bands, but I'm sure that Mount Charles and Woodfalls were worthy winners on the day.

Kiz7
10.03.2008, 11:02
Congratulations to all Wessex bands that qualified in each section - Brunel & Wincanton, Bath Spa,Shrewton, Otterbourne and SWT Woodfalls - and all the other qualifiers.

We are "over the moon" with our result and just about coming down to earth. All the hard work, anger, sweat, wind etc paid off in the end. Everyone worked hard including those who didn't play on the day.

A good weekend for Wessex bands then! Not so good for Gloucestershire bands - despite Bream's solid 4th place in the 4th section (and therefore deserved promotion) and Lydbrook's super 5th place in the Championship. No qualifiers and only one podium place.

Clearly, Polysteel expected more than 3rd (and may have deserved it to, I don't know as I wasn't there) and the rest of the Gloucestershire bands haven't fared much better:

1 3rd out of 12 (Polysteel in the Championship)
1 4th out of 20 (Bream in the 4th section - 1 withdrew)
1 5th out of 12 (Lydbrook in the Championship)
1 6th out of 12 (Forest of Dean in the 2nd section)
3 7th's (Portishead in the 2nd - out of 12, Pillowell in the 3rd - out of 14, Chalford Academy in the 4th - out of 20)
1 8th out of 20 (Tewkesbury in the 4th section)
1 9th out of 14 (Wotton in the 3rd section)
2 14th out of 14 (Cinderford in the 1st section and Drybrook in the 3rd section)
1 15th out of 20 (Cheltenham in the 4th)
1 18th out of 20 (Marshfield in the 4th)

so, possibly some relegation issues for some (Cinderford I think) and only one promotion.

Oddly though, it is likely that the results don't tell the full story for most bands (ie Chalford Academy who achieved their placing with around 19 youngsters in the band).

Results aren't always the "be all and end all". Congratulations to ALL the Gloucestershire bands who took part and good luck to those hoping to be able to compete again next year after having to miss out this year (such as Lydney).

On to the summer programmes now???

Sharpy
10.03.2008, 11:04
Seems to me that some people are a bit upset over there placings in the competition this weekend. I am not one of them, my band under performed and the adjudication picked up all the things I knew had gone wrong. So I was not surprised with our result.

However, it was interesting to look at the remarks from our adjudicators. Peter Roberts commented on the musical side of things and gave some positive comments on that front about tempos and style. While Rob Wiffen I think commented on the more technical side of our performance(not too sure at the moment as his handwriting is a little hard to decipher!! Either that or he had so much too write that he needed to write very quickly!!!!)

But my band used this as an exercise in assessing how the band is progressing and to get some useful pointers in how to take the band forward. When I took over in August the band had a very low morale and it was a real achievement for them to pick themselves up and get to this contest. Hopefully they wont be to disheartened and we can keep progressing the way they were before they played at the contest.

So I suppose what I'm saying in a rather long winded way is, thank you to our adjudication team for giving us some more to think about and work on for next year!!!

snazzy_cornet_sound
10.03.2008, 11:15
I think people are having a pointless debate regarding the adjudicators!

I don't see why people get so bitter about adjudicators, at the end of the day you go into a contest knowing that it is mainly based on a persons opinion?! Isn't that the glory of music that you can adopt it to yourself and differant musical aspects trigger differant emotions for poeple?!

If you don't like the fact you may not win a contest join a concert band or don't enter contests!

I can't believe somebody had the cheek to punch an adjudicator that is really bad sportsmanship and they deserve any ban they get!

Even though I am abit miffed by the result im not going to blame anyone, thats just how contesting goes! I am though looking forward to St Magnus at the Scottish Open!

hicks
10.03.2008, 11:48
I can't believe somebody had the cheek to punch an adjudicator that is really bad sportsmanship and they deserve any ban they get!

:eek: That's shocking. Who was involved in this?

Chris Hicks
10.03.2008, 11:49
A good weekend for Wessex bands then! Not so good for Gloucestershire bands - despite Bream's solid 4th place in the 4th section (and therefore deserved promotion) and Lydbrook's super 5th place in the Championship. No qualifiers and only one podium place.

Clearly, Polysteel expected more than 3rd (and may have deserved it to, I don't know as I wasn't there) and the rest of the Gloucestershire bands haven't fared much better:

1 3rd out of 12 (Polysteel in the Championship)
1 4th out of 20 (Bream in the 4th section - 1 withdrew)
1 5th out of 12 (Lydbrook in the Championship)
1 6th out of 12 (Forest of Dean in the 2nd section)
3 7th's (Portishead in the 2nd - out of 12, Pillowell in the 3rd - out of 14, Chalford Academy in the 4th - out of 20)
1 8th out of 20 (Tewkesbury in the 4th section)
1 9th out of 14 (Wotton in the 3rd section)
2 14th out of 14 (Cinderford in the 1st section and Drybrook in the 3rd section)
1 15th out of 20 (Cheltenham in the 4th)
1 18th out of 20 (Marshfield in the 4th)

so, possibly some relegation issues for some (Cinderford I think) and only one promotion.

Oddly though, it is likely that the results don't tell the full story for most bands (ie Chalford Academy who achieved their placing with around 19 youngsters in the band).

Results aren't always the "be all and end all". Congratulations to ALL the Gloucestershire bands who took part and good luck to those hoping to be able to compete again next year after having to miss out this year (such as Lydney).

On to the summer programmes now???

We were in the 1st and was out of 14

snazzy_cornet_sound
10.03.2008, 11:55
:eek: That's shocking. Who was involved in this?

I was told it was a player in Cinderford Band! but don't quote me on that

Lawrencediana
10.03.2008, 12:09
Can I say a big well done to my old band SWT Woodfalls on qualifying (without me this time!!)

We put on a super performance but unfortunately didn't get the right adjudicator/ interpretation which means we're looking the 1st section in its face next year.
Gutting and depressing.

****** banding

Good on the SWT Team my old band too.:clap: Best wishes to Sam Easterbrook get well soon.

We got just about what we deserved so no complaints here.

davethehorny
10.03.2008, 12:17

Having spent some time speaking to both Brian Elliott and Frances Calver on Sunday, I am sure that they might have mentioned an assault on an adjudicator to me (I am a member of the Council of West of England Brass Band Associations Executive Committee).

I am sure that the Cinderford Band would be very upset that one of their members might be suspected of being involved in something so serious. We need to totally sure of these things prior to putting it in writing.

I understand that they may not have appreciated the result or their draw (No. 1) but I am sure that all bands not winning may feel that way. For the record my band also finished 14th out of 14. Not 100% deserved in my humble opinion but accepted with good grace by our members. We will attempt to prove them wrong in 2009.

Anyone with complaints about the contest should forward them to Brian Elliott - the Council Secretary) prior to our next meeting on the 29th of March.

MightyForester
10.03.2008, 12:17
really bemused by Hope & Hardy, I havnt spoken to one person this weekend who has any faith in them. some very odd results in there respective sections.

Well done to Mount Charles and Woodfalls and to Lydbrook for a fine 5th place.

I've never been one to moan about a poor result but this one really sticks in the throat and I've no shame in saying to Mr. Hope and Mr. Hardy I hope the next time you come to Torquay it will be on a SAGA holiday!!

hmmmmmmm thats another fine mess you've got us into Mr Hardy.Which tin were you referring to that we needed to play off ? Am now home after the wasted trip to Torquay and enjoying a tin of soup which is going down far better than our result today ! :o)

I'm still as angry as I was when the results were given out. Hope & Hardy - more like Laurel & Hardy, and the latter pairing could probably have done a better job.

Never have I seen so much whineing after a contest result - but as the saying goes "that's life". Live to accept the fact that you cannot win all of the time just because you think you have to.

Lawrencediana
10.03.2008, 12:24
I think it is a shame that certain bands seem to think they have a god given right to win this contest and if they don't they blame everyone but themselves. This is not the first year its happened and doubtless it will not be the last. I would say to those certain bands take it on the cheek and have another go next year just grow up, its contesting!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

TheMusicMan
10.03.2008, 12:33

I wasn't intending to jump into this thread just yet, but this comment prompted me to do so.

Please think before you post rumours such as this, they can be very damaging to those alluded to when they may not have even been involved, nor possibly anything such as this actually occurred. Please, when feelings are running as high as they obviously are right now, be considerate to players of other bands, to fellow band members AND to the adjudicators who have no easy task.

That's the beauty of banding, and is one of the reasons we love it so much i.e. that things don't always go according to the book or they way people think they should.

Things didn't in the international on the weekend eh...:) so please don't expect them to do so in banding either.

Win some... lose some...

Enjoy!

Keith Lewis
10.03.2008, 12:41
Just to add to the adjudicator debate.

I'm sure this has been discussed before but, what the adjudicators are looking for and what interpretation is acceptable should be sent to the competing bands. this would allow all of the bands to understand what is required and stop the guessing "of what the man wants in the box".

Just a thought.

Trigger
10.03.2008, 12:47
I think it is a shame that certain bands seem to think they have a god given right to win this contest and if they don't they blame everyone but themselves. This is not the first year its happened and doubtless it will not be the last. I would say to those certain bands take it on the cheek and have another go next year just grow up, its contesting!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Absolutely. When you go to a contest you take a risk - if you don't like the thought that you might not win, then give up contesting. And if it hasn't occurred to you that you might not win, then perhaps it should have, because no band is perfect and no band has the given right to the result the wanted/expected. I know it's good to go to a contest hoping/expecting to win, but there's confidence and there's just plain arrogance - which I saw very clearly on the stage from various members who clearly thought they'd won the contest before even leaving the stage and before a number of other bands had even played - I imagine those individuals and rather disappointed today. Get over it!

Congratulations to Woodfalls you absolutely deserved to qualify and congrats to Mount Charles (one of the only bands I didn't hear).

hicks
10.03.2008, 12:57

I'm sure this has been discussed before but, what the adjudicators are looking for and what interpretation is acceptable should be sent to the competing bands. this would allow all of the bands to understand what is required and stop the guessing "of what the man wants in the box".

Just a thought.

But isn't this one of the things that gives the contest an element of unpredictability? At the end of the day though, most bands get penalised on the obvious things, and that is what differentiates the good performances from the outstanding ones.

Morghoven
10.03.2008, 13:02
Never have I seen so much whineing after a contest result - but as the saying goes "that's life". Live to accept the fact that you cannot win all of the time just because you think you have to.

To declare my interests (or lack thereof) first: this isn't 'my' area. I wasn't at the contest. I didn't hear any of the bands. I'm not playing or conducting at any area contest at all this year.

It's true we each can't win all the time, and at times the traditional sport of "adjudicator-bating" does get out of hand. But the thought occurs that perhaps so many people are criticising particular individuals because they actually haven't done a very good job.

I'm not saying it's definitely the case. I have no idea either way because, as I say, I wasn't there. But before we're so quick to say that one shouldn't criticise the judges - are they really infallible? No they certainly aren't. And if we really believe they aren't up to the task, we should point that out.

The one thing I would back up though is those posters in various threads who have pointed out that having a moan on here isn't enough. If you have genuine concerns, write to the ABBA and the contest organiser.

Bari2
10.03.2008, 13:04
Please, when feelings are running as high as they obviously are right now, be considerate to players of other bands, to fellow band members AND to the adjudicators who have no easy task.

The collective gasp of surprise that went around the audience when Polysteel were announced in third place, and the subsequent comments that myself and members of the band received, certainly suggested that many people believed we should have received a higher placing. However, we aren't the first, and certainly won't be the last to experience this. I'm fairly new to contesting (since November 2006) and I'm still trying to come to terms with the disappointment that comes with playing well, but not receiving a placing that is hoped for, but that's still no excuse.

With the benefit of hindsight, I can see that I shouldn't have posted a comment about the adjudicators last night, and I wouldn't have any complaints if it was removed. When feelings are running high it's probably best to say nothing, because complaining only gives people the chance to make incorrect assumptions about your attitude and that of your band.

In spite of what people might think, I can assure you all that none of the members of Polysteel Band believe we have a God-given right to just turn up and win every contest. I'm sorry if I've given that impression by my previous comment. I'll try and say nothing after contests in the future.

Congratulations to Mount Charles and Woodfalls, I hope you do well at the RAH.

Accidental
10.03.2008, 13:06
isn't it funny how all the negative comments about adjudication & adjudcators come AFTER the contest............. :rolleyes:

to KL - it has been discussed before, a lot, and imho its a terrible idea! Surely bands should just strive to get the right notes in the right places, in time, in tune and in the style they think suits themselves & the piece best. I'd rather trust the adjudicator is going into the contest with an open mind, prepared to be pleasantly surprised by different interpratations. Its subjective, and there will always be some disagreement with the results. As others have already said, if you don't like it you don't have to do the contests.

TheMusicMan
10.03.2008, 13:09
The collective gasp of surprise that went around the audience when Polysteel were announced in third place, and the subsequent comments that myself and members of the band received, certainly suggested that many people believed we should have received a higher placing. However, we aren't the first, and certainly won't be the last to experience this. I'm fairly new to contesting (since November 2006) and I'm still trying to come to terms with the disappointment that comes with playing well, but not receiving a placing that is hoped for, but that's still no excuse.

With the benefit of hindsight, I can see that I shouldn't have posted a comment about the adjudicators last night, and I wouldn't have any complaints if it was removed. When feelings are running high it's probably best to say nothing, because complaining only gives people the chance to make incorrect assumptions about your attitude and that of your band.

In spite of what people might think, I can assure you all that none of the members of Polysteel Band believe we have a God-given right to just turn up and win every contest. I'm sorry if I've given that impression by my previous comment. I'll try and say nothing after contests in the future.

Congratulations to Mount Charles and Woodfalls, I hope you do well at the RAH.That's the spirit, thanks for the post. :clap::clap:

Maybe you should have won, maybe not - I don't know because I wasn't there and therefore cannot express my opinion on any bands performance. However, I do know this... in banding we all of us go through periods of 'win somes and lose somes', it's all cyclical. I have certainly been in that position both as a player and as a conductor, and it was very hard to swallow indeed. However things eventually balance out eventually, and it becomes fair in the world once again.

I can only echo what has been said in several threads on tMP. If you genuinely feel you have been hard done by, feel free to complain to the ABBA and your local regional council or contest secretary.

Yes, tMP is a platform for discussions, but nothing will get done by posting on here, the correct forum for that are ABBA, Regional Councils and the Contest Secretariat.

dickiesplitz
10.03.2008, 13:23

Congratulations to Mount Charles and Woodfalls, I hope you do well at the RAH.

Hear, hear George, but make sure that you keep your "vocals" to yourself (I think you know what I mean...).

As you say, we do not consider that we have a right to win every contest that we attend as at the end of the day, however well we play (or think we played) it is the decision of the adjudicators, which by its very nature has to be a subjective decision based on their expectations/likes etc.

I suspect that our interpretation may have contained slightly more ingredients than were listed on the adjudicator's tin and that's the risk we take. Still we know that it went very well, and that the audience liked our performance. It's not the first time that this has happened [to us] and I'm sure it won't be the last.

mute-ation
10.03.2008, 13:32
MOD WARNING: THESE LEAGUE TABLES ARE NOT OFFICIAL

Here is my attempt at the league tables for this year, subject to change.
Will update the website as soon as possible.

Following on from the Gloucester thread we had a mixed bunch of results in Swindon this year with Aldbourne and Swindon Pegasus having a rough time of it Swindon Brass 10th and Brunel Brass winning the fourth section.

Still its nice to have such a broad representation across the sections from one town, all of which is good for banding.

Well done to Brunel by the way :clap: I have heard a number of extremely favourable comments on the performance.

Apologies for the format but the forum is a bit awkward to post tables to the forum I have tried alsorts but seem to be getting nowhere!!

Championship
Band Name 2006 2007 2008 Total C/F
Mount Charles 1 2 1 4 3
Polysteel 3 1 3 7 4
SWT Woodfalls 4 3 2 9 5
Camborne 2 4 6 12 10
St Keverne 6p 6p 4 16 10
Lydbrook 6p 9 5 20 14
Bournemouth Brass 6 6 10 22 16
Aldbourne 5 5 12 22 17
Yeovil Town 7 7 8 22 15
St Austell 8 8 7 23 15
Hyde 6p 6p 11 23 17
Poole Borough 6p 11 9 26 20

First
Helston Town 1p 3 1 5 4
St Dennis 7p 4 5 16 9
Otterbourne Brass 9 6 2 17 8
Sherborne Town 7r 7r 3 17 10
Lympstone SWT 7p 9 4 20 13
Ocean Brass 7p 7p 6 20 13
Portishead Town 7p 7p 7 21 14
Chalford 7 7 8 22 15
Woodfalls Concert 11 2 10 23 12
Bodmin 7r 8 9 24 17
Lanner and District 7r 7r 12 26 19
Swindon Pegasus 4 12 13 29 25
City of Bristol 7r 14a 11 32 25
Cinderford 8 11 14 33 25

Second
Soundhouse Brass 3 5 3 11 8
Michelmersh Silver 6 6 4 16 10
Shrewton Silver 7 11 2 20 13
Camborne 'B' 8p 7p 5 20 12
Filton Concert Brass 8 3 10 21 13
Bristol East 12 8 1 21 9
Forest of Dean 8r 7r 6 21 13
Gillingham Imperial 8p 7 8 23 15
Phoenix (Crewekerne) 13 4 7 24 11
St Pinnock 8p 7p 11 26 18
Solent Concert 8r 7r 12 27 19
Lydmet Lydney 8r 9 13a 30 22
South Molton 8p 13 9 30 22
Test Valley Brass 8r 14a 13a 35 27
Torbay Brass 14 10 13w 37 23

Third
Verwood Concert 7.5p 4 1 12.5 5
Heyl Town 7.5r 6 4 17.5 10
Pendennis Brass 7.5p 8p 3 18.5 11
Denmead Brass 7 7 5 19 12
Corsham 10 3 8 21 11
Bugle 6 9 6 21 15
Bath Spa 7.5r 13 2 22.5 15
Wooton Under Edge 13 2 9 24 11
St Sythians 7.5r 8r 10 25.5 18
Pillowell Silver 9 11 7 27 18
Sidmouth Town 7.5p 8p 12 27.5 20
AW Parker ( Drybrook 7.5p 8 14 29.5 22
Launceston Town 3 14 13 30 27
Weston Brass 7.5r 12 11 30.5 23
Bendix Kingswood 7.5r 8r 15a 30.5 23

Fourth
Bream Silver 4 3 4 11 7
Wincanton Silver 3 13 2 18 15
Brunel Brass 13.5nb 5 1 19.5 6
Tewkesbury Town 10 8 8 26 16
Totnes 13.5r 11.5r 3 28 14.5
Weymouth Brass 13 9 6 28 15
Shanklin Town 11 12 5 28 17
Swindon Brass 9 11 10 30 21
Chalford Academy 14 10 7 31 17
Hatherleigh Silver 8 6 17 31 23
Torrington Silver 7 15 13 35 28
Downton 13.5r 11.5r 11 36 22.5
Spinnaker Brass 13.5nb 13.5nb 12 39 25.5
New Forest Brass 18 17 9 44 26
Cheltenham Silver 26 7 15 48 22
Bideford Town 15 19 14 48 33
Marshfield 13.5nb 18 18 49.5 36
St Breward Silver 27a 2 21a 50 23
Bratton Silver 13.5r 16 21w 50.5 37
Okehampton 20 14 19 53 33
Saltash Town 12 23a 21a 56 44
Calne Silver 13.5r 23a 21a 57.5 44
Porthleven 19 23a 16 58 39
Shaftesbury Town 16 23a 21a 60 44
Constantine Silver 17 23a 21a 61 44
Wilton & District 21 22 21a 64 43
Gosport Silver 25 20 20 65 40
Watchet RBL 23 21 21a 65 42
Brixham Town 22 23a 21a 66 44
Midsomer Norton 24 23a 21a 68 44
Christchurch 27a 23a 21a 71 44
Nailsworth Silver 27w 23w 21a 71 44
Sandleheath 27a 23a 21a 71 44
Winchcombe Brass 27a 23a 21a 71 44

Bari2
10.03.2008, 13:44
Still we know that it went very well, and that the audience liked our performance.

...and that's the reason I play. I know people that still can't believe I've gone from playing Solo Euph with a well known SA band to 2nd Baritone with Polysteel, but I get so much enjoyment playing great music with great musicians.

Philip Harper was pleased with our performance, and I suspect although he'll be disappointed with the result, I think he always prefers us to play well and get a bad result, rather than play badly and get a good result. You'll know the occasions I refer to.

See you Thursday, and I'll keep working on the vocals for the next time we perform "that" piece.

hicks
10.03.2008, 13:44
Following on from the Gloucester thread we had a mixed bunch of results in Swindon this year with Aldbourne and Swindon Pegasus having a rough time of it Swindon Brass 10th and Brunel Brass winning the fourth section.

Still its nice to have such a broad representation across the sections from one town, all of which is good for banding.

Well it would be, if all of these bands weren't struggling for players.

hicks
10.03.2008, 14:27
MOD WARNING: THESE LEAGUE TABLES ARE NOT OFFICIAL

Here is my attempt at the league tables for this year, subject to change.
Will update the website as soon as possible.

Where are the official league tables?

Sharpy
10.03.2008, 14:31

Just a thought.

You already have it, its called a Score!!!!!!!!

Kiz7
10.03.2008, 14:32
We were in the 1st and was out of 14

Indeed you were Chris - my mistake. It was a good result too for your first year in the section.

Jan H
10.03.2008, 14:34
Where are the official league tables?
As far as I know, they will be published and released officially by the regional associations.
Some associations publish their tables on their website

Emmasmart1
10.03.2008, 14:46
There is a lot of groaning about all the results from this weekend why can't people be happy for each other??? we all no what contesting is like. Every band will have worked hard in the build to it, but someone has to come first and someone has to come last. Be Happy!!!

Vickitorious
10.03.2008, 14:49
I'd just like to back up the members of Polysteel Band in saying that we are not AT ALL an arrogant band. We go to all contests with an open mind, we DO NOT go expecting to win everything we enter! It is actually quite upsetting to read that some people think that of us!

Many times before we have come off stage and thought our performance wasn't worthy of winning. But there's a feeling that you get on stage after you've played well, and when the audience react as they did (at the end of the performance and in the bar afterwards) you tend to hope for a better result. (those of you slagging us off, surely you've felt this as well!!)

Everyone has felt dissappointment before and knows that afterwards EVERYONE says at somepoint "we were robbed" EVERYONE has said it! Don't be so hypocritical!!

I've been with the band for 2 years now and I'd also like to say that Polysteel band is one of the friendliest if not THE friendliest and welcoming top section bands around and I'm sure everyone who has been involved with the band in any way will say so.

So please don't beat us down just because some members have expressed their feelings about the results.

Thanks!

JimboFB
10.03.2008, 15:04
There is a lot of groaning about all the results from this weekend why can't people be happy for each other??? we all no what contesting is like. Every band will have worked hard in the build to it, but someone has to come first and someone has to come last. Be Happy!!!

I think the moaning and groaning is due to the fact that people put so much effort into contesting and to come out with no reward after is a like a good kick in the nuts.

Furthermore, i'm certainly big enough to accept that sometimes results dont go your way regardless of how well you may believe you have played. However, if SO many people in the audience (including members of the eventual WINNING band) believe the results will go a certain way, surely it is some indication that the result may be slightly bogus :confused:

That said its not the first time its happened to us and i can pretty much bet my mortgage it wont be the last!

Just a quick question - i know this whole discussion will always come back to "well, thats just contesting" etc but why should it just be accepted every time if something has quite clearly gone wrong in the adjudication? Surely there must be a way of assessing adjudicators after the results to make sure they ARE making the right decisions.

Finally, our band is made up of genuinely good natured people who have a lot of good friends in both the bands that have qualified this year, and certainly wish them all the best for London. :clap:

hicks
10.03.2008, 15:16
Just a quick question - i know this whole discussion will always come back to "well, thats just contesting" etc but why should it just be accepted every time if something has quite clearly gone wrong in the adjudication? Surely there must be a way of assessing adjudicators after the results to make sure they ARE making the right decisions.

I suspect that if there was this level of analysis then it would be even harder to find adjudicators.
Besides, this sort of thing happens in many other competitive fields where the result is subject to the opinion/judgement of a referee. Sometimes they get it wrong.

But then again, if an adjudicator was consistently and obviously 'wrong', then surely he/she would not be invited to adjudicate in future contests.

Accidental
10.03.2008, 15:33
However, if SO many people in the audience (including members of the eventual WINNING band) believe the results will go a certain way, surely it is some indication that the result may be slightly bogus :confused:

Clearly gone wrong... in who's opinion? Are you arrogant enough to suggest you are more qualified to judge than the guys in the box, with their years of experience, who nobody objected to before the contest?

We all know audience preference often doesn't reflect the actual results - you only have to look at the YBS/David King history to see that. Someone from your band suggested a page or so back that Phil had maybe taken a few liberties with the score? It wouldn't be the first time, his interpetations are usually fantastric, and it often produces a great result..... but you risk the adjudicators frowning on it (again, like Mr King & YBS time and again) and perhaps thats what got you marked down this time?

Mesmerist
10.03.2008, 15:33
Just like to add that I watched the whole of the 1st section on saturday and got the order bang on apart from the band who came 4th which I predicted 4 from the bottom (sorry! no offense intended its just your tempos were so slow and way off!)
On sunday spoke to a couple of polysteel players to ask how they had got on and the response was "we were excellent" "not a single slip or blip". Now I like these people but thats a fairly arrogant approach? Not saying that the results were wrong or right as I only heard 2 bands and both of them struggled and one came in the top 6.
Well done to st Keverne though! great result! (sorry I missed yours)
And commiserations to Aldbourne and Hyde and Yeovil (didn`t hear you 3 either) but 3 of the loveliest and friendly bands anyone could hope for.

Bari2
10.03.2008, 15:38
Someone from your band suggested a page or so back that Phil had maybe taken a few liberties with the score?

Not sure where anybody from Polysteel has said this on this occasion. Phil really tried to give a reading that stuck to the score this time particularly in relation to the tempos.

MoominDave
10.03.2008, 15:44
Here, rather cryptically:

I suspect that our interpretation may have contained slightly more ingredients than were listed on the adjudicator's tin and that's the risk we take. Still we know that it went very well, and that the audience liked our performance. It's not the first time that this has happened [to us] and I'm sure it won't be the last.

By the way - dickiesplitz - is that Richard Selvidge of Graham Cross' stag do organising fame?

Bari2
10.03.2008, 15:44
On sunday spoke to a couple of polysteel players to ask how they had got on and the response was "we were excellent" "not a single slip or blip". Now I like these people but thats a fairly arrogant approach?

If we've not played well then we will be just as quick to say so, and have done in the past.

I would also be very reluctant (as I'm sure many others would) to go as far as ever saying "not a single slip or blip" as this implies a performance couldn't have been improved and that's a dangerous and unmusical attitude to have.

Accidental
10.03.2008, 15:52
I suspect that our interpretation may have contained slightly more ingredients than were listed on the adjudicator's tin and that's the risk we take.
Maybe I misinterpreted that, in which case I apologise.
Please don't get me wrong - I'm a big fan of Polysteel, and of Phil (right back from when he was the wunderkind in LSC and beating me at solo contests!).

BUT, in view of the fact that the only mention of Polysteel in this thread has been by members of Polysteel.... don't you think you guys are getting a wee bit too defensive?

Its a bummer you didn't get to London but its not the end of the world. 3rd is still a bl**dy good result, there's always next year, and we all know you're a fantastic band. :)

Trigger
10.03.2008, 15:57
I'd just like to back up the members of Polysteel Band in saying that we are not AT ALL an arrogant band. We go to all contests with an open mind, we DO NOT go expecting to win everything we enter! It is actually quite upsetting to read that some people think that of us!

Many times before we have come off stage and thought our performance wasn't worthy of winning. But there's a feeling that you get on stage after you've played well, and when the audience react as they did (at the end of the performance and in the bar afterwards) you tend to hope for a better result. (those of you slagging us off, surely you've felt this as well!!)

I can't speak for the other posts on here, but no where in my previous post did I mention a band's name when I made my reference to arrogance. I have only skimmed this thread, so don't know if anyone has slagged Poly Steel off (I certainly didn't). Perhaps a little sensative there.

My major issue with some of the posts moaning about the result, is that in doing that, they are being extremly rude towards the bands that did do well, who also worked very hard and felt they should be in the running.

I didn't play in the championship section, so was fortunate enough to hear the first seven bands (I suspect that the players of the first seven bands, didn't hear all of the bands, so perhaps aren't able to comment so reliably). Poly Steel, Cambourne and Woodfalls were all bands that received big applauses after their performances - I thought all three played very well and were in with a chance. However, I thought Woodfalls had the edge and I didn't hear Mount Charles.

Stop complaining about third place - it could be far worse.

JimboFB
10.03.2008, 15:59
Clearly gone wrong... in who's opinion? Are you arrogant enough to suggest you are more qualified to judge than the guys in the box, with their years of experience, who nobody objected to before the contest?

We all know audience preference often doesn't reflect the actual results - you only have to look at the YBS/David King history to see that. Someone from your band suggested a page or so back that Phil had maybe taken a few liberties with the score? It wouldn't be the first time, his interpetations are usually fantastric, and it often produces a great result..... but you risk the adjudicators frowning on it (again, like Mr King & YBS time and again) and perhaps thats what got you marked down this time?

I wasn't actually referring to Sunday or any contest in particular, so ARROGANT??? Certainly not. My point was why should this just be accepted? I know historicaly its what has happened and 'lifes not fair' etc etc etc, but maybe its a bigger issue than just accepting it if individual adjudicators are getting it wrong.

Referring to the adjudicating (again in general not just Sunday), what makes someone more qualified in your oppinion? Surely you dont have to have played for donkeys years in a top band to hear if things are right or wrong in relation to the score?

Vickitorious
10.03.2008, 16:03
I can't speak for the other posts on here, but no where in my previous post did I mention a band's name when I made my reference to arrogance. I have only skimmed this thread, so don't know if anyone has slagged Poly Steel off (I certainly didn't). Perhaps a little sensative there.

My major issue with some of the posts moaning about the result, is that in doing that, they are being extremly rude towards the bands that did do well, who also worked very hard and felt they should be in the running.

I didn't play in the championship section, so was fortunate enough to hear the first seven bands (I suspect that the players of the first seven bands, didn't hear all of the bands, so perhaps aren't able to comment so reliably). Poly Steel, Cambourne and Woodfalls were all bands that received big applauses after their performances - I thought all three played very well and were in with a chance. However, I thought Woodfalls had the edge and I didn't hear Mount Charles.

Stop complaining about third place - it could be far worse.

I think you'll find that all of the people from Polysteel who have posted in this thread have congratulated Woodfalls and Mount Charles on their results and we did the same in person yesterday.

snazzy_cornet_sound
10.03.2008, 16:04
Its amazing how people think contests are a matter of life and death looking at this thread!

Im glad to say Im still living the day after a contest even though we didn't win.

Trigger
10.03.2008, 16:12

Here here. I for one was not dissappointed with the result and also heard talk in the bar to suggest that the two top bands were in with a chance before the results - clearly people were listening to different conversations.

Trigger
10.03.2008, 16:14
I think you'll find that all of the people from Polysteel who have posted in this thread have congratulated Woodfalls and Mount Charles on their results and we did the same in person yesterday.

I'm sure you have - but what good's that if you then go and moan to high heaven about the result and prove that you don't really mean a word of congratulations.

Vickitorious
10.03.2008, 16:17
I'm sure you have - but what good's that if you then go and moan to high heaven about the result and prove that you don't really mean a word of congratulations.

Re-read my post? Did I complain about the result or just say that we were disappointed or hoped for a higher result?

There's a difference!!!

Trigger
10.03.2008, 16:21
Re-read my post? Did I complain about the result or just say that we were disappointed or hoped for a higher result?

There's a difference!!!

Re-read mine then! I wasn't refering to your post in particular - I was refering to all those that were slagging off the results - and that's everyone not just Poly Steel players.

Vickitorious
10.03.2008, 16:27
Re-read mine then! I wasn't refering to your post in particular - I was refering to all those that were slagging off the results - and that's everyone not just Poly Steel players.

OK, Sorry I misinterpreted your post.

I'm on not on here to cause any trouble I'm actually just a harmless little horn player who wants to defend some very good friends in my band. :(

I'm not saying anything else on the matter or in the thread! It's just getting out of hand now and i'm sure these petty arguments were not intended.

This will probably be my last post for another 6 months!! :tongue:

Bye bye everyone!

xxx

Trigger
10.03.2008, 16:36
OK, Sorry I misinterpreted your post.

I'm on not on here to cause any trouble I'm actually just a harmless little horn player who wants to defend some very good friends in my band. :(

I'm not saying anything else on the matter or in the thread! It's just getting out of hand now and i'm sure these petty arguments were not intended.

This will probably be my last post for another 6 months!! :tongue:

Bye bye everyone!

xxx

I'm just a little horn player too :-) and I don't want to upset anyone either. I don't even play in the section and in fact my band came last this weekend (quite deserved I might add). But I also have friends in one of the qualifying bands and have seen first hand how much work they put in and how happy they were to qualify.

I never get involved in these conversations on here, but put one post and like you say - all gets out of hand.

snazzy_cornet_sound
10.03.2008, 16:39
what were peoples oppinions on the way bands played??

I heard 2 bands

St Austell - what an improvement on last year, I felt they had some real classy soloists especially Graham Hooper on Trombone, Rachel Whittaker on Sop & Hannah Hawken on the end chair, there band sound was round and the only problem was some unforced errors. But such an improvement and one they should all be proud of.

Albourne - this is the first time i have heard them and felt the balance in the sections was abit top heavy, but a good reading from Melvin White

CJBaggins
10.03.2008, 16:47
Can i just say a congratulations to the Catering staff at the Riviera centre for those lovely flapjacks that they sell! just the right thing to eat before going on stage! Lovely stuff!!

also Congratulations to Helston Town for their victory in the first section:clap:

Fun weekend, shame about the weather tho, the wind quite seriously hampered my crazy golf skills! Thankfully no innocent people were injured!!:biggrin:

Wifey
10.03.2008, 16:53
I have to say I listened to quite of a few of the champ section yesterday and I would of had Polysteel 1st and Mount Charles 2nd!

tuba_wuba_duba
10.03.2008, 17:20
Dear all,

I enjoy healthy debate as much as the next man but i fear that those of you who have posted in response to some of my fellow Polysteelers, with the greatest of respect, may be taking things just a little out of context and perhaps too far.

I am not a regular poster on tMP so am far fro qualified to judge how these threads usually operate, but as far as I can tell no member of the band has shown any serious negative view towards any specific person or people, be they conductors, adjudicators or bands, within their posts.

There has simply been good natured and frank (and what I believe to be necessary!) discussion with regard to the inconsistent nature of adjudication, spanning all areas and sections at this present moment in time. What we can do about this situation is a topic for another thread all together, but surely the time as come to consider a regulated form of standardised adjudication style across our movement in all contesting arenas.

As a member of the PolySteel and I feel extremely proud of the performance given at the Riviera on Sunday, both from a technical and musical standpoint and whilst it was not with out the odd clip (as I can assure you all of the days performances were not!) I feel we achieved our goal of making a stand out performance of real musical worth, and it is of great regret that we will not be attending RAH this year.

Having said that, congratulations must be offered to SWT Woodfalls and Mount Charles. The chance to appear on the most famous stage in the world and get swallowed by the atmosphere is a golden one.

Lawrencediana
10.03.2008, 17:20

I think it is a question of if the cap fits, but in the early posts about the contest it was certainly Polysteel players making the most noise and if you read them there is no mention of other bands just a tirade of criticism of adjudicators.

Bari2
10.03.2008, 17:34
I think it is a question of if the cap fits, but in the early posts about the contest it was certainly Polysteel players making the most noise and if you read them there is no mention of other bands just a tirade of criticism of adjudicators.

The second comment by a Polysteel player after yesterday's contest said "Well done to Mount Charles and Woodfalls and to Lydbrook for a fine 5th place", so perhaps you either have a case of selective memory or just chose to ignore this completely in order to have another dig at Polysteel.:mad:

Chunky
10.03.2008, 17:35
Dear all,

I enjoy healthy debate as much as the next man but i fear that those of you who have posted in response to some of my fellow Polysteelers, with the greatest of respect, may be taking things just a little out of context and perhaps too far.

I am not a regular poster on tMP so am far fro qualified to judge how these threads usually operate, but as far as I can tell no member of the band has shown any serious negative view towards any specific person or people, be they conductors, adjudicators or bands, within their posts.

There has simply been good natured and frank (and what I believe to be necessary!) discussion with regard to the inconsistent nature of adjudication, spanning all areas and sections at this present moment in time. What we can do about this situation is a topic for another thread all together, but surely the time as come to consider a regulated form of standardised adjudication style across our movement in all contesting arenas.

As a member of the PolySteel and I feel extremely proud of the performance given at the Riviera on Sunday, both from a technical and musical standpoint and whilst it was not with out the odd clip (as I can assure you all of the days performances were not!) I feel we achieved our goal of making a stand out performance of real musical worth, and it is of great regret that we will not be attending RAH this year.

Having said that, congratulations must be offered to SWT Woodfalls and Mount Charles. The chance to appear on the most famous stage in the world and get swallowed by the atmosphere is a golden one.

So none of these show negativity towards the judges and were just good humoured responses to the results?

Originally Posted by jim http://www.themouthpiece.com/vb/images/satellite/buttons/viewpost.gif (http://www.themouthpiece.com/vb/showthread.php?p=586611#post586611)

Originally Posted by weenie http://www.themouthpiece.com/vb/images/satellite/buttons/viewpost.gif (http://www.themouthpiece.com/vb/showthread.php?p=586617#post586617)

Originally Posted by Sopmaestro http://www.themouthpiece.com/vb/images/satellite/buttons/viewpost.gif (http://www.themouthpiece.com/vb/showthread.php?p=586619#post586619)

Originally Posted by Bari2 http://www.themouthpiece.com/vb/images/satellite/buttons/viewpost.gif (http://www.themouthpiece.com/vb/showthread.php?p=586623#post586623)

Not what I would call non-negative posts in respects to adjudicators

dickiesplitz
10.03.2008, 17:43
Dear all,

Well said Tom.

Like all of the bands we are passionate about playing the best we can and getting the best results, hence the impassioned cries of woe. However, whilst a number of my fellow 'steelers have expressed their feelings in certain areas I hope that these are seen as what they are, i.e. people wanting to take out their frustration on something (other than the wife, cat, dog etc) and are not seen as being the thoughts of the Band itself.

I have been in this game for too long to get worked up by particular results. In the end you win some and you lose some. We have a great band and this should just spur us on to do bettger next time.

Let's support all of our fellow bands in their quest for National success, not waste time moaning...

Nuff said.

And yes Moomin, it is I.

Bari2
10.03.2008, 17:43
Originally Posted by Bari2 http://www.themouthpiece.com/vb/images/satellite/buttons/viewpost.gif (http://www.themouthpiece.com/vb/showthread.php?p=586623#post586623)

Chunky

Perhaps you'd also like to quote my later comment where amongst other things I apologised for this remark and said I'd be quite happy if this comment was removed. Still, don't let it stand in the way of a good old session of Polysteel bashing that so many seem intent on.

davidaus
10.03.2008, 17:44
Adjudicators will always differ on what they require ... that surely it being a sporting contest.

One thing that could be improved is the legibility of comments ... although these may be written quickly whilst a perfomance is going on they are only any use to bands if we can read them afterwards!

This does not apply to all adjudicators as some make the effort not to use joined up handwritting so that comments can be read easily.

tam-tam2
10.03.2008, 17:47
I find it a little strange that no-one criticised the choice of adjudicators before the weekend!! If you had something against them or were disappointed by the West of England's choice perhaps you should have voiced your opinions!!

However, I did have a top five in the Championship Section of Polysteel, Woodfalls, Mount Charles, Camborne and St Keverne in that order.

Just like to add that I watched the whole of the 1st section on saturday and got the order bang on apart from the band who came 4th which I predicted 4 from the bottom (sorry! no offense intended its just your tempos were so slow and way off!)

Re: above comment - I'm glad you weren't adjudicating then!! It seemed the adjudicators quite liked the way we played it so we are very happy with our 4th place. It's all personal opinion after all!

I thought Verwood were comfortable winners of the 3rd Section - your trombone section was very good - good luck at the finals.

Chunky
10.03.2008, 17:48
Perhaps you'd also like to quote my later comment where amongst other things I apologised for this remark and said I'd be quite happy if this comment was removed. Still, don't let it stand in the way of a good old session of Polysteel bashing that so many seem intent on.

Apologies for not refering to your later quote.

However my point was that I do not see how any of these comments are not negative. To be honest I would post the same irrespective of the band, I did not post just because it related to Polysteel.

Lawrencediana
10.03.2008, 17:49
The second comment by a Polysteel player after yesterday's contest said "Well done to Mount Charles and Woodfalls and to Lydbrook for a fine 5th place", so perhaps you either have a case of selective memory or just chose to ignore this completely in order to have another dig at Polysteel.:mad:

I have nothing but respect for Polysteel as a band but you only need to look at the way your players attacked the 2 adjudicators and the fact there was only one other criticism of Mr Hope and Mr Hardy and that by a disgruntled member of Camborne B band in the second section, you have to wonder from what point of view the criticism is coming from. Banding should be fun for everyone, contests are a strange thing and results are sometimes odd, we just have to get over it and on to the next one.

tuba_wuba_duba
10.03.2008, 17:50
Very much agreed Dickie and 'Bari2'.

With reference to a previous comment fro Chunky (sorry, haven't figured out how to quote yet).

Apologies for not checking so far back in the thread.

But If you take into account the time of posting I sure you and other posters will surly agree with Dickie's post and take them for what they are. Suggesting a saga holiday, word play on names and general disappointment are by no means equivalent to serious negativity.....I, and I should imagine other actually find some of them inoffensive and quite funny!

As Dickie puts it, Nuff said. Lets put it to bed, tuck it in, and start worrying about the next contest!!!!!!!

Cheers Chaps,

Tazzer
10.03.2008, 18:47
Originally Posted by tuba_wuba_duba http://www.themouthpiece.com/vb/images/satellite/buttons/viewpost.gif (http://www.themouthpiece.com/vb/showthread.php?p=586904#post586904)
As Dickie puts it, Nuff said. Lets put it to bed, tuck it in, and start worrying about the next contest!!!!!!!
Absolutely!!!!

The End!

clairetab
10.03.2008, 18:59
I've got through 3 pages of this now, and I've suddenly recalled who it was who told Mr Hardy about the 'tin'. None other than Mr Philip Harper, who had been alongside him in the box that day (2nd section national finals last year - I was there).

Funny old game...

BassBlaster
10.03.2008, 19:37
Can i just say a congratulations to the Catering staff at the Riviera centre for those lovely flapjacks that they sell! just the right thing to eat before going on stage! Lovely stuff!!

also Congratulations to Helston Town for their victory in the first section:clap:

Fun weekend, shame about the weather tho, the wind quite seriously hampered my crazy golf skills! Thankfully no innocent people were injured!!:biggrin:

Chris, that explains the bits on my face after we finished, it wasn`t egg, it was yer flapjacks.
I`m ignoring all the grumpy people with their bad results, we came 8th in the first, after a ok ish performance, I was awesome of course.
Personally i`m basking in the result of our academy brass who did play well off No1 to come 7th out of 20 in the 4th section. I`m gonna join them i reckon, no more oats in me face, LOL.

Chris Hicks
10.03.2008, 19:49
Indeed you were Chris - my mistake. It was a good result too for your first year in the section.

Yes was a very nice result first year up so we can look forward now to progressing and achieving a top 6 next year, which i think is within our possibilities.
We received a nice comment from an oceans player saying he had us in 5th or 6th so thats always nice to know someone liked our performance.

It was also nice to beat a few of the bigger bands first year in the section!

Commiserations to my dad and polysteel heard the performance and tis unlucky not to have scored however thats contesting aye!

Good luck all bands in all sections in harrogate and london! I'm sure you'll all do well!

Chris

Morghoven
10.03.2008, 20:17
I find it a little strange that no-one criticised the choice of adjudicators before the weekend!! If you had something against them or were disappointed by the West of England's choice perhaps you should have voiced your opinions!!

Erm...how can one criticise - or indeed complement - an adjudicator's performance before the contest has taken place?!

tam-tam2
10.03.2008, 20:24
Erm...how can one criticise - or indeed complement - an adjudicator's performance before the contest has taken place?!

I didn't mean in this contest - no-one has a crystal ball. I meant if people were unhappy with any previous experiences of results given by Mr Hardy or Mr Hope they should have aired their views on the choice of adjudicators when they were announced. After all, this is not the first contest they have adjudicated is it!!

Hindsight is a wonderful thing!

grandad
10.03.2008, 20:32
Why do principal cornet players who cannot play the Solo, ( and No. 2 can and has to do it) insist on sitting on the end chair? Saw 2 bands in the 1st section where this happened on saturday

MightyForester
10.03.2008, 20:40
I've got through 3 pages of this now, and I've suddenly recalled who it was who told Mr Hardy about the 'tin'. None other than Mr Philip Harper, who had been alongside him in the box that day (2nd section national finals last year - I was there).

Funny old game...

He did state it, the adjudicators said it was what they wanted.

So none of these show negativity towards the judges and were just good humoured responses to the results?

Originally Posted by jim http://www.themouthpiece.com/vb/images/satellite/buttons/viewpost.gif (http://www.themouthpiece.com/vb/showthread.php?p=586611#post586611)

Originally Posted by weenie http://www.themouthpiece.com/vb/images/satellite/buttons/viewpost.gif (http://www.themouthpiece.com/vb/showthread.php?p=586617#post586617)

Originally Posted by Sopmaestro http://www.themouthpiece.com/vb/images/satellite/buttons/viewpost.gif (http://www.themouthpiece.com/vb/showthread.php?p=586619#post586619)

Not what I would call non-negative posts in respects to adjudicators

As 4 bars rest orignally put in their preview artical, not all bands were happy with the choice of adjudicators.
It was 'super sunday'.
The west of england opted for 2 adjudicators in each section.
You want the best adjudicators then:

1. Put up a fight with Peggy Tomilinson of Yorskshire area and have your contest before hers (3rd week of january probably).

or

2. Have your contest of the north of england (2nd week of june)

That way the 'noises' can be made by the committee representation for the WOE and the right men in the box cant be bought who will put the result how it should be.

As I stated earlier, 'thats life with contesting'.
Give it up, stop the b****ing and start a thread for predicting next years test piece.

boagy
10.03.2008, 20:44
Regarding the comments from some on this thread about no one commenting on the choice of adjudicators for the Championship Section this year. I'm sorry to say that PolySteel and Camborne where the only bands to raise this as a concern at the area committee meeting last year. I only hope that they, the committee, take this on board and carefully consider whom they appoint in future.
Genuine congratulations to all the bands that qualified over the weekend. Best of luck at Harrogate and RAH later in the year.

Graham Boag

PolySteel

MightyForester
10.03.2008, 20:54
Regarding the comments from some on this thread about no one commenting on the choice of adjudicators for the Championship Section this year. I'm sorry to say that PolySteel and Camborne where the only bands to raise this as a concern at the area committee meeting last year. I only hope that they, the committee, take this on board and carefully consider whom they appoint in future.
Genuine congratulations to all the bands that qualified over the weekend. Best of luck at Harrogate and RAH later in the year.

Graham Boag

PolySteel

See comments on previous posts above!
So without opening up another can of worms, do Camborne and Polysteel have the god given right to decide on the adjudicators because of their own bands profiles and expect the rest of us to bend over backwards and go along with what they say?
I don't think so!

Option 3:

The area of the winning band opens the regionals for the following year and gets first pick of the adjudicators.

All other regionals take place on the same weekend/s with the remaing nominated adjudicators placed into a hat and randomly drawn to each section and each area.
Think about it, James Scott and David Read adjudicating the WOE 4th Section?!?!?

WagTheStick
10.03.2008, 21:01
Just a thought but......

Adjudication is subjective - as is conducting, interpretation etc. If you really want to see just how subjective it can be look back at the Masters results when there were 3 separate adjudicators - and as a result some disputable (but fair) results. I always say to my bands before a contest "lets put in a winning performance - but even if we do we may not get a winning adjudication". Thats banding - Regent Brass used to have a coat of arms with a latin motto which translated as "If you can't take a joke don't go to the contest"

In the West of England there are usually 4 or 5 very evenly matched bands at the top of the section - all of whom are capable of putting in a flawless performance - after that its down to the personal taste of the poor men in the box (difficult underpaid job where you can never please everyone - even if you do a good job), hence the record which shows that the title has not been retained for so long.

Also the adjudicators are amongst a few people who hear every band - how do we really know that band we missed weren't out of this world. The reaction of the audience should never be taken as judgement unless we are to encorporate a clapometer system - any band could then employ a coachload of 'screamers' and book a place at the finals.

As a PS - I only heard Cambourne and Polysteel who both played well but not flawless. I thought it would take a good band to beat Polysteel but both Mount Charles and SWT are good bands (I didn't hear them so can't comment). We played 'OK but scrappy' and got an OK result with remarks to match so can't complain.

Well done to SWT (who should have qualified last year IMHO). :clap:

MightyForester
10.03.2008, 21:10
Originally Posted by Thirteen Ball http://www.themouthpiece.com/vb/images/satellite/buttons/viewpost.gif (http://www.themouthpiece.com/vb/showthread.php?p=586991#post586991)
I seem to recall for the british open a few years back (2004?) that three adjudicators in three separate boxes gave their own remarks, and the scores were combined.
The Masters did (does?) this having consulted the bands on their favoured system; I seem to recall there have been some controversies where fancied bands have been deprived of a win because one of the three placed them significantly lower than the others, thus proving that there is in fact no system that will please anyone except the winning band

The above was taken from another area threads and should bring this deabate to a close.
It does not matter how many people you have adjudicating, it does not matter if they are seperate boxes, tents or buildings.
It will be their opinion and their opinion only and the only result that will matter no matter how good or bad a band plays is the result for the winning band.

bbgigster
10.03.2008, 22:04
I wish I'd had the chance to hear the top three bands, but I'm sure that Mount Charles and Woodfalls were worthy winners on the day.

Well i did hear them and can assure you they were not!

Jan H
10.03.2008, 22:12

would you care to elaborate? I'm curious to know why.

cygnet
10.03.2008, 22:13
We in Spinnaker Brass felt that Peter Roberts brought out some positive comments to encourage the band whilst Rob Wiffin seemed to have a more negative approach. Our 12th placing put us more or less right in the middle of the section and we have a few pointers to take away.

On a different tack, however, as a band making its debut at Torquay, having only been in existance since Aug 07 and with the line-up only being finalised in the past couple of weeks, we were very encouraged by the friendly and supportive attitude of the other 4th section bands and the officials at the contest. A few of them went out of their way to introduce themselves to our players and wish us well as a new band.

Thank you to them and we will see you again next year.

MissRepiano
10.03.2008, 22:14
Its amazing how people think contests are a matter of life and death looking at this thread!

Im glad to say Im still living the day after a contest even though we didn't win.

Good call!! :clap:

I am also living!! I enjoy contesting and wandering who is/sin't going to be fortunate enough to do well, but on the other hand I love it because it's a brilliant day!! It's so good to get chatting with people that share your hobby and to listen to some excellent music! I had a great day on Saturday, and enjoyed playing in my first 2nd section area!

bbgigster
10.03.2008, 22:37
would you care to elaborate? I'm curious to know why.

Splits, intonation, poor sounds, tempos. Just the usual 'on the tin' stuff I thought the box boys wanted? (In my humble, un arrogant opinion of course)

Could i suggest another constructive option of recording all performances to give the adjudicators another chance to hear or question themselves again before finally deciding the results? This was tried I beleive recently? Can't remember where though? Just a thought.

Anno Draconis
10.03.2008, 22:41
could i suggest another constructive option of recording all performances to give the adjudicators another chance to hear or question themselves again before finally deciding the results? This was tried I beleive recently? Can't remember where though? Just a thought.

English National a couple of years ago at the Lowry, where they had a substantial break after the contest before announcing the results (with a concert, I think?) to give time for reviewing the recordings. Not sure if they repeated this last year.

KMJ Recordings
10.03.2008, 22:51
English National a couple of years ago at the Lowry, where they had a substantial break after the contest before announcing the results (with a concert, I think?) to give time for reviewing the recordings. Not sure if they repeated this last year.

And as much as I tried to reconcile myself with it then, I still don't like the idea of it.

Fieldy!
10.03.2008, 22:58
Splits, intonation, poor sounds, tempos. Just the usual 'on the tin' stuff I thought the box boys wanted? (In my humble, un arrogant opinion of course)

Could i suggest another constructive option of recording all performances to give the adjudicators another chance to hear or question themselves again before finally deciding the results? This was tried I beleive recently? Can't remember where though? Just a thought.
I spent some time in Australia and was a big fan of their way of providing adjudication.

Each band is recorded and the adjudicator narrates his comments live over the top. The CDs are usually available the same day so the bands can head back to the hotel to listen en masse to all the split notes, strange tempi and wonky moments (with the adjudicator talking along all the way through).

In my opinion, this is straightforward and more reliable. First, you can HEAR it's your band so no more claims that the notes got mixed up. Secondly, the adjudicator is more open and honest and often cant disguise his surprise or horror whilst listening!

tubbytuba
10.03.2008, 23:13
I think MightyForester totally missed the point no one expects anyone to bend over backwards to suit anyone.It appears their observations re adjudicators has partially been valid by the responses of some members of this site.Having been given previous experience of one of the pair at Harrogate last year i found their comments and adjudication woefully inadequate no real pointers to where anyone went wrong etc etc.Also what are we expected to do, is it a case of put up and shut up or do we voice a concern and then get slated for doing so Come on get real we all know contests can give some real strange results but take a look at some of the other contests these gents have adjudicated at,and believe me it is being looked at probably by the adjudicating panel itself

Chris Hicks
10.03.2008, 23:14
See comments on previous posts above!
So without opening up another can of worms, do Camborne and Polysteel have the god given right to decide on the adjudicators because of their own bands profiles and expect the rest of us to bend over backwards and go along with what they say?
I don't think so!

Option 3:

The area of the winning band opens the regionals for the following year and gets first pick of the adjudicators.

All other regionals take place on the same weekend/s with the remaing nominated adjudicators placed into a hat and randomly drawn to each section and each area.
Think about it, James Scott and David Read adjudicating the WOE 4th Section?!?!?

Yes thats exactly what was said actually right to the very word!
Of course everybody knows these bands are gods gifts and every other band must do as they say!

MightyForester
10.03.2008, 23:27
Of course everybody knows these bands are gods gifts and every other band must do as they say!

Thanks Chris.
No band has the right to decide on who adjudicates their own region.
If the top bands don't like it then tough!

Has anyone heard Mount Charles complain on this thread?
Has anyone heard SWT Woodfalls complain on this thread?
Has anyone heard St Keverne complain on this thread?
Has anyone heard Lydbrook complain on this thread?
Has anyone heard St Austell complain on this thread?
Has anyone heard Poole complain on this thread?
Has anyone heard Lanner & District complain on this thread?
Has anyone heard Bournemouth Concert complain on this thread?
Has anyone heard Hyde complain on this thread?
Has anyone heard Aldbourne complain on this thread?

No.
These bands have taken the result as given.
For some reason the WOE regional has now gone Polysteel quiet!

Give it up folks the records broken and the needles now well and truly knackered!

Trigger
10.03.2008, 23:30

Yes you are quite right there - you're arrogant opinion. Just as well you weren't in the box then isn't it.

Could i suggest another constructive option...

Another constructive option?? Wasn't aware you'd made one yet, so no I think we've heard enough from you.

bbgigster
10.03.2008, 23:34
Read it again, it says un arrogant, not arrogant. ;)

snazzy_cornet_sound
10.03.2008, 23:34
Thanks Chris.
No band has the right to decide on who adjudicates their own region.
If the top bands don't like it then tough!

Has anyone heard Mount Charles complain on this thread?
Has anyone heard SWT Woodfalls complain on this thread?
Has anyone heard St Keverne complain on this thread?
Has anyone heard Lydbrook complain on this thread?
Has anyone heard St Austell complain on this thread?
Has anyone heard Poole complain on this thread?
Has anyone heard Lanner & District complain on this thread?
Has anyone heard Bournemouth Concert complain on this thread?
Has anyone heard Hyde complain on this thread?
Has anyone heard Aldbourne complain on this thread?

Give it up folks the records broken and the needles now well and truly knackered!

Well I haven't heard any Camborne players to complain on this thread thankyou very much!

Is this whole thing getting slightly petty?!

If everyone has to have such a big debate about a contest go and join a concert band and then you wont have to worry about other peoples opinions in the future! Like I've said I am miffed by our results as many our in our band but we can get over such a thing!

tubbytuba
10.03.2008, 23:37
Sorry Paul maybe i ought to state my views are from a Camborne B perspective Ta Tubby Tuba

Chris Hicks
10.03.2008, 23:38
Well I haven't heard any Camborne players to complain on this thread thankyou very much!

If everyone has to have such a big debate about a contest go and join a concert band and then you wont have to worry about other peoples opinions in the future! Like I've said I am miffed by our results as many our in our band but we can get over such a thing!

I was just about to mention the same thing!

MightyForester
10.03.2008, 23:39

Yes it is petty because 'one big band' and please snazzy cornet i did not mention your band because yours was not a band that instigated it (and yes I did listen to you play and yes i thought played a cracker flugel part!)
But just because one 'almighty' band thinks they should win every time - read coments from 4BR british open review then I think this matter should be finished now (think you need to learn how to bow properly though after the performance!)

snazzy_cornet_sound
10.03.2008, 23:41
(think you need to learn how to bow properly though after the performance!)

Thankyou MightyForester! thats the first bit of constructive critisicm to hit this thread i think! playing tutti parts usually I'm not used to such luxurys as taking a bow!

brassbandmaestro
10.03.2008, 23:42
Yes it is petty because 'one big band' and please snazzy cornet i did not mention your band because yours was not a band that instigated it (and yes I did listen to you play and yes i thought played a cracker flugel part!)
But just because one 'almighty' band thinks they should win every time - read coments from 4BR british open review then I think this matter should be finished now (think you need to learn how to bow properly though after the performance!)
Sometimes I think, some people need to get a life. There's more to life than all this pettiness thats going on at the moment.

Anno Draconis
10.03.2008, 23:46
Option 3:

Erm, what? How on earth would that work? I assume you mean the winning band in the top section finals? So committees would have to wait until the week after the finals in October to book venues and set dates? Simply couldn't be done. I do think, however, that having 5 areas on the same weekend is a recipe for disaster; surely a little bit of liaison between regions could be arranged so that no more than 2 take place on the same day?

And as much as I tried to reconcile myself with it then, I still don't like the idea of it.

You're just an old fuddy-duddy, Keith :biggrin: . I quite like the idea, but I can't imagine it working at the areas, where in most cases the results need to be given out as soon as the contest finishes.

take a look at some of the other contests these gents have adjudicated at,and believe me it is being looked at probably by the adjudicating panel itself

Not unless they've received a formal written complaint from one of the competing bands about the quality of the adjudication. Simply posting a load of sour grapes on the internet won't get anything done. If you're genuinely that unhappy, contact Kapitol and the ABBA with your concerns. Also, I might be wrong about this but afaik there's no obligation on the various regional committees to pick judges from an "approved list" - they're free to pick whomsoever they see fit. Most do choose from an ABBA list, but only as a locally decided policy, not a nationally mandated directive.

tellitasitis
10.03.2008, 23:54
But just because one 'almighty' band thinks they should win every time - read coments from 4BR british open review then I think this matter should be finished now.

This matter would have been finished earlier today if your pathetic anti-polysteel views weren't continually posted. Have they rejected you at audition at some point in time for you to hate them this much.

As for the 4BR review re the British Open, this related mainly to the Timp player, who hasn't played with Polysteel since this contest. One ex-player doesn't make the whole band guilty of hubris. I , and many other people know them to be a really friendly band.

Morghoven
10.03.2008, 23:58

Really? Where? Because I can't see it. Not before the post you've quoted.

I'm all for not letting the 'name' bands dictate matters - or even appearing to dictate matters. But it seems to me that Polysteel can't do anything right for some of you. They complain about the adjudicator afterwards, and get told they should have done it before. They reveal they did do it before - and in the proper forum, not just on a website! - and that they weren't the only band to do so, and get told they shouldn't have done that. So presumably, joining Polysteel band means you are no longer entitled to an opinion on your own performance, on anyone else's performance, on the adjudicators...? :eek:

The reason we have second-rate adjudication, why we have declining numbers of players, why the general public don't come to contests, why 'mainstream' composers don't want to write for us...heck I'll say it, the reason why brass banding is dying in this country...is that too many people don't care. They don't care how well they do at a contest. They don't care if their adjudicators are well-qualified, or properly trained and moderated. They don't care if their professional composers and MDs are properly remunerated. They don't care that they're churning out the same novelty items they were thirty years ago.

Does anyone really think Polysteel were after an adjudicator who would guarantee them a win? Don't be so stupid, they all know perfectly well there is no such thing. They want an adjudicator who would do a good job. That's why they raised their concerns before the contest so it couldn't be seen as just sour grapes. Maybe they did think they'd given a winning performance. They aren't the first band to think like that, and they surely won't be the last.

No, the difference here is that Polysteel Band evidently care. They care about themselves and their own personal and collective success, as they certainly should. But they also care about banding in general which is why they want the best possible people for the job in every position - including in the box at a contest.

Instead of attacking people who want the best at everything, perhaps they should be emulated.

tubbytuba
11.03.2008, 00:02
Well Morghoven what a great and straight to the point statement!!! I think all that have posted should take note well done!!!!

Jan H
11.03.2008, 00:04
OK people, I think we've had enough of the pro- or contra- Polysteel debate. Some members of the band were clearly disappointed, but I think everyone can understand that.

Apparently their were several other bands competing at the same contest as well. Any comments about them? ;)

Morghoven
11.03.2008, 00:08
Apparently their were several other bands competing at the same contest as well. Any comments about them? ;)

Yes. It's great to see Lydbrook more than hold their own, after the battering they took from some parts of the press last year. Well done to one and all! :clap:

tellitasitis
11.03.2008, 00:12
Yes. It's great to see Lydbrook more than hold their own, after the battering they took from some parts of the press last year. Well done to one and all! :clap:

I have a friend that plays for Lydbrook, so I was delighted to see them get this result yesterday.

Sopmaestro
11.03.2008, 00:13
You are right there is no god given right to winning a contest you still have to go and deliver the goods at any contest. This thread just highlights the constant bickering and back biting that has become inherant in banding more so since the technological age of the internet.
People say what right do we have to complain, my answer to that is 30 years of experience playing at all levels and I mean all levels and if after that time I want to voice a personal opinion then I will end of !
In 30 years I have had a fair run of bad results a lot of them deserved, last Sunday was (in my opinion) a bad result. Enough to make me realise that the time and effort put in is not worth the expense anymore!!!
I still offer out congratulations to Woodfalls and the friends I have in Mount Charles no hard feelings towards them. Just a bitter taste of an adjudication system that is as archaic as some of the men who are employed to do the job (again MY opinion).

bbgigster
11.03.2008, 00:21
OK people, I think we've had enough of the pro- or contra- Polysteel debate. Some members of the band were clearly disappointed, but I think everyone can understand that.

I agree 100% Jan but can I also say how the moderation of this debate *****! You pm'd me yourself not an hour ago to chastise me for the posting of 'sour grapes' which was actually a perfectly valid opinion as opposed to some of the other blatent anti PolySteel toilet that's been published today. Same rules for all please. Naturally I expect this post to be removed immediatley. :)

tellitasitis
11.03.2008, 00:27
In 30 years I have had a fair run of bad results a lot of them deserved, last Sunday was (in my opinion) a bad result. Enough to make me realise that the time and effort put in is not worth the expense anymore!!!

Chris - please don't let some of the idiots posting on here, plus adjudicators that are past it, put you off doing something which you are so good at. Your fabulous playing, along with the rest of Polysteel band gives great pleasure to many people.

You'll soon be winning again at contests, and then hopefully yesterday's sorry episode can be confined to the dustbin of history.

bbgigster
11.03.2008, 00:29
Really? Where? Because I can't see it. Not before the post you've quoted.

I'm all for not letting the 'name' bands dictate matters - or even appearing to dictate matters. But it seems to me that Polysteel can't do anything right for some of you. They complain about the adjudicator afterwards, and get told they should have done it before. They reveal they did do it before - and in the proper forum, not just on a website! - and that they weren't the only band to do so, and get told they shouldn't have done that. So presumably, joining Polysteel band means you are no longer entitled to an opinion on your own performance, on anyone else's performance, on the adjudicators...? :eek:

The reason we have second-rate adjudication, why we have declining numbers of players, why the general public don't come to contests, why 'mainstream' composers don't want to write for us...heck I'll say it, the reason why brass banding is dying in this country...is that too many people don't care. They don't care how well they do at a contest. They don't care if their adjudicators are well-qualified, or properly trained and moderated. They don't care if their professional composers and MDs are properly remunerated. They don't care that they're churning out the same novelty items they were thirty years ago.

Does anyone really think Polysteel were after an adjudicator who would guarantee them a win? Don't be so stupid, they all know perfectly well there is no such thing. They want an adjudicator who would do a good job. That's why they raised their concerns before the contest so it couldn't be seen as just sour grapes. Maybe they did think they'd given a winning performance. They aren't the first band to think like that, and they surely won't be the last.

No, the difference here is that Polysteel Band evidently care. They care about themselves and their own personal and collective success, as they certainly should. But they also care about banding in general which is why they want the best possible people for the job in every position - including in the box at a contest.

Instead of attacking people who want the best at everything, perhaps they should be emulated.

Sense at last! :clap:

KMJ Recordings
11.03.2008, 00:32
You're just an old fuddy-duddy, Keith :biggrin: . I quite like the idea, but I can't imagine it working at the areas, where in most cases the results need to be given out as soon as the contest finishes.

I also sit in a semi-darkened room with people who 'adjudicate' performances (the difference being you get another go when you get it wrong)...and when they're talking, they're not listening ;)

Jan H
11.03.2008, 00:33
I agree 100% Jan but can I also say how the moderation of this debate *****! You pm'd me yourself not an hour ago to chastise me for the posting of 'sour grapes' which was actually a perfectly valid opinion as opposed to some of the other blatent anti PolySteel toilet that's been published today. Same rules for all please. Naturally I expect this post to be removed immediatley. :)
How do you know who else we have PMed today?

I haven't deleted any of your posts (only one, because it contained references to illegal activities), and I immediately braught this to your attention. Also I didn't accuse you of anything (and I don't even know what the word chastize means ;) ), I was just giving some friendly advice about how your posts might be perveived by other members.
So no, I won't delete your post, but further reactions to this will.

If you have problems with the moderation of this debate, then I can refer you to a lengthy debate about that subject that is currently taking place in the "How to" section of this site

Nuh Bell
11.03.2008, 09:32

Sometimes you can get much more satisfaction from the way you played, rather than the result. It was our first time in the third section, and we drew number 1. After the performance we were absolutely thrilled - for us, it couldn't have gone any better. Unfortunately, we had a poor result (12th), but it's great to have no regrets about the way we played, and we are all on a high. Next year, we'll aim to do better of course, but our conductor still says he'd rather we play well and come last, than win with a poor performance.

IanHeard
11.03.2008, 09:58
I do think, however, that having 5 areas on the same weekend is a recipe for disaster; surely a little bit of liaison between regions could be arranged so that no more than 2 take place on the same day?

I find your idea of "liason" between the regions and nations in the mess that is 21st century "British" banding frankly laughable.
Gone are the day`s when the regional committee`s met and discussed matters like these....too much petty regional self interest involved I`m afraid!
Kapitol (the owners) are presiding over 6 individual "feifdoms", if you want your banding with a truly countrywide focus and strategy...move to somewhere like Norway! :)

Mesmerist
11.03.2008, 09:59
Next year, we'll aim to do better of course, but our conductor still says he'd rather we play well and come last, than win with a poor performance.

Yes but your conductor is a lovely sensible level headed man and he told me that you played without Bb Basses didn`t you? Hopefully next year you won`t have all the disasters beforehand and can do yourselves justice.
Me, I`m shallow and can be happy with an undeserved good result! And yes had a few (but not this year :) :biggrin: woohoo!!!!)

Mesmerist
11.03.2008, 10:14
Re: above comment - I'm glad you weren't adjudicating then!! It seemed the adjudicators quite liked the way we played it so we are very happy with our 4th place. It's all personal opinion after all!

I thought Verwood were comfortable winners of the 3rd Section - your trombone section was very good - good luck at the finals.

Hey what do I know I`m not an adjudicator! it was only that your band played it much slower than all the others! good result for you well done:)

Thank you for your comments our trombones are a great team and are looking forward to the finals and if we can persuade Andrew on Bass trom to stop eating veg curry will be nigh on perfect!!!!:biggrin:

snazzy_cornet_sound
11.03.2008, 10:38
Anyone know of any recordings made at the weekend?

Jan H
11.03.2008, 11:49
Anyone know of any recordings made at the weekend?
Of course you mean any LEGAL recordings, I hope?

snazzy_cornet_sound
11.03.2008, 11:59
Of Course! didn't know there was such a big black market for contest recordings

Jan H
11.03.2008, 12:06
Of Course! didn't know there was such a big black market for contest recordings
I have no idea, I just wanted to make sure.

el_blasto
11.03.2008, 12:11

If by slow tempos you mean we stuck riggedly the composer's intended tempos on the score, then yes we must have been slow! Flippant of me perhaps, but is there really any need for that comment? Not particularly constructive....

JesTperfect!
11.03.2008, 13:05
do Camborne and Polysteel have the god given right to decide on the adjudicators because of their own bands profiles and expect the rest of us to bend over backwards and go along with what they say?

To start, apologies if I have interpreted your post in the wrong way, but it's the first that has really riled me.

Point One: No one said that we have a 'god-given right'. But you can't possibly say that we did something wrong. Alot of posts on here have already said that ''here is not the place to complain, take it to the ABBA''. Which is what we did. I think we did everything right as far as we could.

Point Two: I think that's a slightly odd attitude to take. 4th Section banding is no more or less important that Championship. They are, after all, the championship bands of the future. And they deserve adjudicators of the same level as any other section.

Congratulations to ALL of the qualifying bands, and to all the competing bands as well. I think many of us are missing the point-it's an achievement in itself to be competing at any contest. There's always next year!

Liz Courts
11.03.2008, 13:05
I had a great weekend! Chuffed to bits with our result!! I have to admit that I thought we played a little slower on stage than in the rehearsals...not sure if it was too slow...but if it was, maybe if we played a bit quicker we'd have come third!! :tongue:

I didn't listen to many performances in the Championship Section, but after listening to most of the Yorkshire Championship Section the week before I was expecting it to be a close contest - and maybe a few "shock" results.

I heard Polysteel - a brilliant performance, but certainly not flawless. And Hannah and Rachel (cornet and sop) must be complimented on their performance with St Austell.

Congratulations to Woodfalls - they've had some unlucky (in my opinion) results during the last year. And also congratulations to Mount Charles, who obviously did something right despite what some members of the audience may have thought!

Good luck to all the qualifiers - represent the West well!! :)

Mesmerist
11.03.2008, 13:46
If by slow tempos you mean we stuck riggedly the composer's intended tempos on the score, then yes we must have been slow! Flippant of me perhaps, but is there really any need for that comment? Not particularly constructive....

ok! I did say no offence intended!!! My point (perhaps badly put I`m sorry) was that Mr Hope and Hardy were the adjudicators here and that I agreed with the results 99%. You did have a great sop player!:)

JimboFB
11.03.2008, 14:05
He did state it, the adjudicators said it was what they wanted.

As 4 bars rest orignally put in their preview artical, not all bands were happy with the choice of adjudicators.
It was 'super sunday'.
The west of england opted for 2 adjudicators in each section.
You want the best adjudicators then:

1. Put up a fight with Peggy Tomilinson of Yorskshire area and have your contest before hers (3rd week of january probably).

or

2. Have your contest of the north of england (2nd week of june)

That way the 'noises' can be made by the committee representation for the WOE and the right men in the box cant be bought who will put the result how it should be.

As I stated earlier, 'thats life with contesting'.
Give it up, stop the b****ing and start a thread for predicting next years test piece.

Maybe this is worth thinking about in general, why does the contesting schedule come around in such a way? Surely it would be fairer to either have EVERY area contest on the same day or EVERY area on a different day. That way there could be no way anyone could argue before or after about the adjudication. If they were all on the same day, you could randomly pull names out of the hat, or if all on different days select the best person for the job.

Regards the whole PolySteel argument, i dont see any band should just accept something that they honestly believe to be wrong just because others may disagree.

As already pointed out PolySteel Band has openely and genuinely congratulated the 2 qualifiers for London on this forum as well as on the day. I personally collected the 3rd place prize from the stage and made a point of hanging around to shake hands and say well done to Derek (Mount Charles Chairman) and wished them best of luck for London. I think all our members have tried to do is express a feeling that the whole adjudication procedure needs looking at, rather than burying your head in the sand and pretending it never happened.

Surely the whole point of a forum such as this is to discuss such matters, not imply certain correspondents cant have an oppinion just because a percentage of other TMP'ers disagree.

Also, there is nothing to stop anyone from any other band joining in this discussion either for or against any points raised. Please dont have a pop at people who choose to and are entitled to share their oppinion.

kim loves a bit of euph!
11.03.2008, 14:15
To be honest I think there was shock results on both days,but in a way that makes me feel better knowing that it happened in the championship on sunday and on the saturday!Not just one weird day,dont think the top three bands in the championship section are far out as have heard those bands previoulsy and all have put up fine performances.Dissapointed with fifth place but hey we qualify for champ section the cheap way!Pretty pleased that we have managed to go from 4th section to champ in 8 years!Well done to all qualifying bands,especially Helston who are a fine bunch of people and who always put on a brilliant performance! Thanks! Kim

Mesmerist
11.03.2008, 14:17
Polysteel is a great band and I am chuffed to bits that they are in the west of England slot. What would be really great would be for one or more of our top bands to be in the prizes at London sometime soon.

(PLEASE no one take that comment the wrong way!)

MoominDave
11.03.2008, 14:20
An observation -

A big difficulty here is that the people who are complaining are those to whom the situation applies. People in general would prefer to see disinterested parties pushing amendments. But it is not disinterested parties that are pushing for amendments here. I hear all the Polysteel contingent claiming neutrality and unbiassedness, and maybe they are all perfect enough human beings to have achieved this, but other people a) don't believe this, and b) don't seem to think that Polysteel were hard done by in the results.

It's a consensus thing - as far as I can see, a number of Polysteel players are dissatisfied with the results, while pretty much nobody else is, including a number of people with no stake in them. Yes, people are entitled to have differing opinions, and to air them, but when someone gets vocal and rude on a totally subjective subject (as people have to the adjudicators here - it might seem funny to you, but it won't to everyone. A good thing to bear in mind when posting on the internet......), then other people will in turn exercise their right to free opinion, and ask them to tone it down.

Yes, I appreciate that this situation must be frustrating for Polysteel's players, but the fact that a core of their players even now persist in stoking this one is doing their image no favours at all.

I don't see any advantage to anyone in continuing with the Polysteel / 'we wuz robbed' debate, however nobly anyone may cast it. Can people be big enough now to let this disinterested summary stand as the last word?

bassbone
11.03.2008, 14:26
An observation -

A big difficulty here is that the people who are complaining are those to whom the situation applies. People in general would prefer to see disinterested parties pushing amendments. But it is not disinterested parties that are pushing for amendments here. I hear all the Polysteel contingent claiming neutrality and unbiassedness, and maybe they are all perfect enough human beings to have achieved this, but other people a) don't believe this, and b) don't seem to think that Polysteel were hard done by in the results.

It's a consensus thing - as far as I can see, a number of Polysteel players are dissatisfied with the results, while pretty much nobody else is, including a number of people with no stake in them. Yes, people are entitled to have differing opinions, and to air them, but when someone gets vocal and rude on a totally subjective subject (as people have to the adjudicators here - it might seem funny to you, but it won't to everyone. A good thing to bear in mind when posting on the internet......), then other people will in turn exercise their right to free opinion, and ask them to tone it down.

Yes, I appreciate that this situation must be frustrating for Polysteel's players, but the fact that a core of their players even now persist in stoking this one is doing their image no favours at all.

I don't see any advantage to anyone in continuing with the Polysteel / 'we wuz robbed' debate, however nobly anyone may cast it. Can people be big enough now to let this disinterested summary stand as the last word?

Brilliant.:clap:

MightyForester
11.03.2008, 14:29
To start, apologies if I have interpreted your post in the wrong way,

There is a chunk that has not been quoted but don't worry about it!!!!

Congratulations to ALL of the qualifying bands, and to all the competing bands as well. I think many of us are missing the point-it's an achievement in itself to be competing at any contest. There's always next year!

Your last sentence basically sums up the whole debate for me, for which I will post no more comments. I have had my say on the matter for better or for worse and have decided to leave it at that.
But, as you say Jess, There's always next year! So lets start being more constructive and working with each other.:)