Adjudicators : David Horsfield

Participating Bands:

E.Y.M.S. ( Bob Childs)
The Felling Band (Graeme Tindall)
Fishburn Band (Russell Gray)
Harrogate Band (David Lancaster)
Reg Vardy Band (Dr. Nick Childs)
RMT Easington Colliery (Norman Law)
Tavistock Chester-le-Street Riverside (Ian Robinson)
Westoe Band (Derek Broadbent)
North of England Regional Championships
First Section
Test Piece : James Cook – Circumnavigator, Gilbert Vinter
Sunday 30th March
Venue : Dolphin Centre, Darlington
Adjudicators : Colin Hardy

Participating Bands:

Broughtons (David Hirst)
GT Group Peterlee (Stephen Malcolm)
Kirkbymoorside Town (John Woodward)
Lockwood Brass (John Roberts)
Northumbrian Water Ellington Colliery (Alan Fernie)
Shepherd Group Brass (Tim Oldroyd)
Wansbecks’ Ashington Colliery (Nigel Stedman)

Second Section
Test Piece : Three Part Invention, Kenneth Downie
Sunday 30th March
Adjudicators : Peter Roberts

Participating Bands:

Barrow Shipyard (tba)
Barton Town (Richard Evans)
Cockerton Prize Silver Band (George Nicklin)
Dearham (Garry Williams)
Durham Constabulary (Keith McDonald)
Ferryhill Town (Susan Norris)
Hetton Silver (Alan Seymour)
Houghton Brass (tba)
Murton Colliery (Dennis Noble)
York Railway Institute (Derek Warley)

Third Section
Test Piece : The Dark Side of the Moon, Paul Lovatt-Cooper
Saturday 29th March
Adjudicators : Peter Roberts

Participating Bands:

Barnard Castle (Damian Dunphy)
Barrow Concert ( Malcolm Scales)
Billingham Silver (Vaughan Evans)
Dunston Silver ( Sue Murrill)
East Riding of Yorkshire (Peter Andrews)
Flookburgh (John Iveson)
Ripon City (Malcolm Dibb)
Stape Silver (Michael Breckon)
Fourth Section
Test Piece : Four Cities Symphony, Rodney Newton
Saturday 29th March
Adjudicators : Colin Hardy

Participating Bands:

Aycliffe & Brancepeth (Mike Priestley)
Backworth Colliery (Colin Harris)
Bearpark & Esh (Vince Eckerman)
Chester-le-Street Riverside Concert Brass (Martin Humphrey)
Craghead Colliery (John Robson)
Kingsway Printers Cleethorpes (Steven Askew)
Kirkby Lonsdale Brass (Allan Greenwood)
Lanchester (Jonathan Fenwick)
Marske Brass (Alun N. Prest)
Shepherd Group Concert Brass (M. Pratt)
South Milford Brass (Richard Wilton)
Stanhope Silver (Steve Robson)
Swinton & District Excelsior (Nigel Sutherland)
Trimdon Concert Brass (Brian Wright)

Information courtesy : http://www.noebbc.co.uk/regionalcontest2008.htm
and tMP Members. ;)

michellegarbutt
19.02.2008, 07:43
Sorry Di but you have a couple of wrong dates on there. Section 2 is on Sunday at 10am. I believe section 4 is on the Saturday but I'm not so sure on that one

Di
19.02.2008, 08:13
Ah thanks Michelle, I didn't spot that those had been switched since the original announcement. :redface: I'll get the above edited and make sure the prediction dates are changed (will have to wait for hubby to wake up for that though :rolleyes: ) too otherwise we'll have a lot of correct entries for the second section. ;)

Ruthless
29.02.2008, 18:36
Just a reminder to all Championship, First and Second section bands that the clocks go forward on Saturday night. Don't want any mishaps with people turning up late for coaches on such an important day :oops:

Andy_Euph
01.03.2008, 17:18
I'm absolutely gutted that i'm going to miss this competition for the first time since I started playing...tameside contest is on the same day :(.

Really good new area website, and really good to see information being released this far in advance!!

Best of luck to everyone, especially Ellington.

bigcol
02.03.2008, 17:50
The Yorkshire Area programme has the next 3 dates for their regionals in - wouldn't it be nice to see the same in our area instead of the usual Dolphin Centre bingo of recent years?

Lauradoll
03.03.2008, 16:06
A move away from the Dolphin Centre would be even better! I can't believe our area is still so far off. Meh!!

Matt Lawson
03.03.2008, 16:13
Good luck to Swinton and District in the 4th section.

They've had some tough times with player shortages, lack of a permanent MD - so it'll be interesting to see the results this year.

Ah memories of the Dolphin Centre - an appalling venue for such an important contest.

bigcol
03.03.2008, 16:19
an appalling venue for such an important contest.

Here here, although rather than complain I wonder if we could think of somewhere else that could be put to Alan Hope's committee as a constructive idea?

The only places that comes to mind is the smaller hall at the Sage, or City Hall in Newcastle.

Matt Lawson
03.03.2008, 16:31
With the paltry audiences at the DC in recent years, it'd lose them too much money to hold it at the Sage.

How about the Barbican Centre in York?

Lauradoll
03.03.2008, 16:34
Gala Theatre in Durham?

bigcol
03.03.2008, 16:34
Or Harrogate ;)

Matt Lawson
03.03.2008, 16:37
Wherever it is, it's always going to be a trek for Cumbrian bands.

Perhaps we should build a New Town half way across the A66 and build a concert hall there ;)

On a serious note - somewhere on the A1 corridor is sensible so York/Darlington/Durham/Newcastle.

I honestly think York Barbican Centre is worth looking at.

Ste69
03.03.2008, 17:35
This is more like it - finally some ideas for a new venue - Correct about the Sage though - I'd love to play there but it would be way too expensive. I like the York idea also - Harrogate also more centrally accessible for the Cumbrian bands. There's not a lot else in between before you're dipping into the Yorkshire area at Wetherby!!!

You could all come to Hull - that's not at all out of the way ;)

geordiecolin
03.03.2008, 17:47
Gala Theatre, Durham maybe?

May be some support funding from the County Council as well? I know they have a pot for individual bands within the County, so bands are reasonably high on their agenda.

a very flat b
03.03.2008, 17:58
This is more like it - finally some ideas for a new venue - Correct about the Sage though - I'd love to play there but it would be way too expensive. I like the York idea also - Harrogate also more centrally accessible for the Cumbrian bands. There's not a lot else in between before you're dipping into the Yorkshire area at Wetherby!!!

You could all come to Hull - that's not at all out of the way ;)

Steve,

Last bit a fantastic idea. You can rely on our full support.:clap:

Mrs Fruity
03.03.2008, 19:52
Most venues in the North East were tried in the olden days and presented problems with 50+ bands' equipment, changing facilities etc. The best venue (IMHO) was the Bede School in Sunderland. Two separate (identical) school halls, with decent acoustics and loads of changing/storage space. It was a shame when that one went for a Burton.
Only the Sage is really big enough, and that's WAY out of our financial league.:frown:

So we'll just have to put up with aerobics classes and roller disco which share our contest hall again.

marye
03.03.2008, 22:03
A move away from the Dolphin Centre would be even better! I can't believe our area is still so far off. Meh!!
:confused: To where?

ekimmort
03.03.2008, 22:31
Very interesting comments. When the change of date was forced upon us I suggested to Mr Hope that we should stick with the original date and change the venue preferebly one with decent accustics, instead of the Dolphin Centre sports hall.
I was informed that NO ONE HAD EVER COMPLAINED about the Dolphin Centre.

geordiecolin
04.03.2008, 14:04
No complaint should be necessary, given that anybody with an amount of musical knowledge can tell that the Dolphin Centre is a poor acoustic for brass, especially for a contest.

My main gripe is that I've been contesting there since I was 9 and I've still not seen a single dolphin!

bigcol
04.03.2008, 14:19
Gala Theatre, Durham maybe?

May be some support funding from the County Council as well? I know they have a pot for individual bands within the County, so bands are reasonably high on their agenda.

GC from what I remember the Gala is quite small but it certainly has that 'feel' that would make a contest seem special. Very good parking too.

JR
04.03.2008, 15:03
No complaint should be necessary, given that anybody with an amount of musical knowledge can tell that the Dolphin Centre is a poor acoustic for brass, especially for a contest.

!

yes but it's still better than Harrogate Conference Centre -

John R

yorkie19
04.03.2008, 16:30
What about Peterlee Leisure Centre ;)

imthemaddude
04.03.2008, 17:15
To be honest most of the contests in the north east are in a sports hall and so I would have thought the consistency in acoustic would be a good thing. It was good enough for the big boys at Spenny for Brass in Concert for many years.

Chunky
04.03.2008, 17:39
Here in the L & SC we play in a sports hall most years.

Surely if you play in the same hall year in year out you can adapt your performances accordingly!

missflugel
04.03.2008, 17:48
Its when your chair is hanging over a gap in the stage so you dont want to breathe too much incase it wobbles and falls. Or the walk way on to the stage that looks like something from starlight express. I cant wait!!

on_castors
04.03.2008, 19:00
What about Peterlee Leisure Centre ;)

It's years ago now, but I have it filed away in my memory as being lousy - I remember playing in garish yellow sodium lighting there, and with new glasses on I nearly fell of the makeshift stage coming off after playing as I couldn't see a thing! Constant stink of chlorine too!

geordiecolin
04.03.2008, 19:59
Its not improved much!

Lauradoll
10.03.2008, 11:59
Is anyone else getting jealous when reading through other area results?
Wish ours were over and done with- only 20 get ups to go............

Ste69
10.03.2008, 12:58
Is anyone else getting jealous when reading through other area results?
Wish ours were over and done with- only 20 get ups to go............

Nope - I can wait - that makes it even more tantalising!!!! Also, got enough fish to fry at the moment without the areas!!!! :)

millie6589
10.03.2008, 14:21
Shepherd Group Concert are no longer competing in the 4th section due to an alarming lack of crucial players! gutted...

bigcol
10.03.2008, 14:24
Shepherd Group Concert are no longer competing in the 4th section due to an alarming lack of crucial players! gutted...

That's a real shame Millie - it's always great to see new bands enter and I hope you can compete at some other contest - Teesdale contest perhaps?

T Winch
10.03.2008, 14:30
The best venue (IMHO) was the Bede School in Sunderland. Two separate (identical) school halls, with decent acoustics and loads of changing/storage space. It was a shame when that one went for a Burton.

I didn't realise it had ever been held there! Can we have it back? 5 mins walk from my front door and we can all meet in the Barnes for drinkys afterwards :D

millie6589
10.03.2008, 14:34
That's a real shame Millie - it's always great to see new bands enter and I hope you can compete at some other contest - Teesdale contest perhaps?
we'll have to see! there are a few locla ones around that we have done before and will probably be doing again but i think we need to aim to be a bit more ambitious cos we do have the capability!

Mephi
10.03.2008, 19:11
Just like to say good luck to all at Marske under 'Capt Mainwaring' Prest in the 4th section and to Laura Doll & crew and Anna Fergy & Stevie Clint at Reg Vardy and Fishburn respectively!

Delphman X

Lauradoll
11.03.2008, 09:29
Cheers Mark!
Hope all's well with you xx

Mephi
12.03.2008, 14:51
Cheers Mark!
Hope all's well with you xx
Yep, not too bad apart from snapping my achilles walking up stairs at home! (Yes, I was sober! Otherwise I wouldn't have bothered with the stairs!!) Just come out of plaster today after 8 weeks but walking a bit like you were after your tumble at Delph on Whit Friday!! :biggrin:

bigcol
13.03.2008, 13:58
I can't wait - I'm looking forward to the 4barsrest predictions, not only are they fun but once they are published you know that you are nearly there. Our section is wide open and should be one of the more interesting NOE sections of the weekend.

Despite the negative publicity I think Four Cities is a good 4th section test piece and it has been fun to work on. No-one has complained too much in band, our sop player even gets the coffees in around movement 2-3 thus making the most of her bars rest.

cornetmeister
13.03.2008, 23:36
Just like to say good luck to all at Marske under 'Capt Mainwaring' Prest in the 4th section
Delphman X

Thanks very much - I'll pass your comments on :D

Lauradoll
17.03.2008, 16:35
13 days to go.......

bigcol
17.03.2008, 16:48
12 for those of us at the less glamorous end of banding ;)

millie6589
17.03.2008, 16:54
12 for those of us at the less glamorous end of banding ;)
lol im so jealous! i want to go too :(

Ste69
17.03.2008, 17:00
13 days to go.......

Its really annoying now as well - Can't believe everyone else is done and dusted and we're just beginning our build up.

bigcol
17.03.2008, 17:02
Our area's performances will be the best, because we have had the longest to practice the pieces ;)

Lauradoll
18.03.2008, 09:07
12 get ups to go......(or 11 for Colin's lot!!!)

bigcol
18.03.2008, 12:02

Plus with Easter coming up, there's only a few practices left too!

geordiecolin
18.03.2008, 14:34

Nope, 12 for me too;) :p

Lauradoll
19.03.2008, 11:09
11/10 get ups to go. Treat.
8 rehearsals.
Woo!

bigcol
19.03.2008, 11:10
8 rehearsals? ****** hell . . . pleased I'm not top section anymore ;)

Ste69
19.03.2008, 12:21
Are we having a countdown every day now then???

Burn_The_Test Piece
19.03.2008, 18:12
Attention all 4th Section bands. The adjudicators are particularly strict this year. Splits and mis-pitching will not be tolerated. Remember Order 66.

http://img291.imageshack.us/img291/227/testpieceky3.jpg

bigcol
19.03.2008, 18:15
You alright, Jimmy?

Burn_The_Test Piece
19.03.2008, 18:20
How did you guess it was me Colin? By the way, best of luck next week.

bigcol
19.03.2008, 18:21
Star wars is a dead give away. Same to you Jimmy, hope you come second!

Burn_The_Test Piece
19.03.2008, 18:24
I don't mind where the band comes but I've never been one for sloppy seconds.

Mrs Fruity
19.03.2008, 20:27
I must admit I'm a tad corncerned that someone has a full Darth Vader outfit...

And I HAVEN'T. Where can I get one???????;)

dave jake
19.03.2008, 23:43
It's not Darth Vader it's Jimmy he's just a trooper, he's not evil he's a good guy?

Burn_The_Test Piece
20.03.2008, 00:15
I must admit I'm a tad corncerned that someone has a full Darth Vader outfit...

And I HAVEN'T. Where can I get one???????;)
You have to be in the lower sections to join the Dark Side.

Ste69
20.03.2008, 09:53
So - to stave off the boredom of having to wait for springtime to officially arrive before our area, I'm having my own predictions competition.

That is, to predict what 4BR will predict in their previews next week - Yes!!! That's how bored I am this morning.

Bear in mind this has nothing to do with the day itself - and more to do with what 4BR will say is going to happen.

I'll go first.

Champ section: they'll go for the old favourites.

1, Reg Vardy
2, Fishburn
3, EYMS
4, Tavistock CLS
5, Harrogate
6, Greggs

DH - Felling

Like I said - Not a prediction of the result - just a stab at what they're going to predict.

(Sorry - really bored) :)

Burn_The_Test Piece
20.03.2008, 10:23
My band won't win, we've spent the bribe money on booze.

I've heard a rumour that the organisers want to open the geographical eligibility for this area even further next year by admitting bands from the Normandy and Brittany areas. The manager of the Pennyweight is said to be very excited as he has some surplus cases of burgundy and boxes of gitanes in his cellar.

Lauradoll
20.03.2008, 10:47
10/9 days to go.

Bring on the chloriney aroma. Yey!

JR
20.03.2008, 10:51

6, Greggs

yep - so bored I don't think you've realised Greggs arent going...

JR

Ste69
20.03.2008, 11:02
yep - so bored I don't think you've realised Greggs arent going...

JR

Lol - yep - also half asleep still

yorkie19
20.03.2008, 12:32
Using my crystal ball......

First section

1 - Lockwood
2 - Shepherd Building Group
3 - Kirbymoorside
4 - Broughtons
5 - GT Group Peterlee
6 - Northumbria Water Ellington Colliery

DH - Cottingham Band (conducted by the dashingly handsome S Kind).

Straightmute
20.03.2008, 12:35
Cottingham Band (conducted by the dashingly handsome S Kind).

That's a shame - I knew the other Sam...

Cheers
D

yorkie19
20.03.2008, 13:22
That's a shame - I knew the other Sam...

Cheers
D

Thanks "mate".!

Straightmute
20.03.2008, 13:25
...but seriously, best of luck - about time that Cottingham enjoyed some better fortune.

David

robcornet
20.03.2008, 13:54
:biggrin:
Using my crystal ball......

First section

1 - Lockwood
2 - Shepherd Building Group
3 - Kirbymoorside
4 - Broughtons
5 - GT Group Peterlee
6 - Northumbria Water Ellington Colliery

DH - Cottingham Band (conducted by the dashingly handsome S Kind).

What does DH mean? and more importantly who is this dashingly handsome S Kind, I must need glasses as don't remember anyone like that conducting Cottingham! lol:biggrin:

TUBBYTHEBASS
20.03.2008, 14:16
:biggrin:

What does DH mean? and more importantly who is this dashingly handsome S Kind, I must need glasses as don't remember anyone like that conducting Cottingham! lol:biggrin:

DARK HORSE ALSO KNOWN FOR THE LAST FEW YEARS AS THE SCABBY DONKEY !

yorkie19
20.03.2008, 15:38
I must need glasses

Hey, you said it mate. That would explain a lot though!!!

Are you playing with Barton next weekend?

Bass Man
20.03.2008, 16:17
So - to stave off the boredom of having to wait for springtime to officially arrive before our area, I'm having my own predictions competition.

That is, to predict what 4BR will predict in their previews next week - Yes!!! That's how bored I am this morning.

Bear in mind this has nothing to do with the day itself - and more to do with what 4BR will say is going to happen.

I'll go first.

Champ section: they'll go for the old favourites.

1, Reg Vardy
2, Fishburn
3, EYMS
4, Tavistock CLS
5, Harrogate
6, Greggs

DH - Felling

Like I said - Not a prediction of the result - just a stab at what they're going to predict.

How come we're the Scabby Donkey?

Ste69
20.03.2008, 17:25
How come we're the Scabby Donkey?

Only because that's what i think 4br will say- As for my predictions for the day, i used tMP's excellent facility available at the top of this page. (Plug plug)

Bass Man
20.03.2008, 17:52
Only because that's what i think 4br will say- As for my predictions for the day, i used tMP's excellent facility available at the top of this page. (Plug plug)

Fair enough

When does anyone think the 4br predictions be ready?

I've already made my tmp predictions too

Ste69
20.03.2008, 20:49
Fair enough

When does anyone think the 4br predictions be ready?

I've already made my tmp predictions too

Usually Tuesday before but if they're recovering from Easter Egg overdose, could be Weds or even Thurs.

Bass Man
20.03.2008, 22:09
Usually Tuesday before but if they're recovering from Easter Egg overdose, could be Weds or even Thurs.

Probably. Looks like they're covering the Australian Championships at the minute, we'll probably have to wait until they've done the retros for that.

Lauradoll
22.03.2008, 12:27
Ooh this time next week some lucky beggars will be there!

4br will have probably forgotten about our area- after all it is almost April now!!

I did my predicitons as well- come on RV!!! 7 in a row hopefully!! And at least the start of the piece isn't in my hands this year!! Yaass!

Ste69
22.03.2008, 13:08
And at least the start of the piece isn't in my hands this year!! Yaass!

Me neither - 3 bars to S*** myself :biggrin:

Valvecap
22.03.2008, 15:34
Come on Shepherds!!!!!! Cant wait to PLAY an areas contest for the first time in years! Shame its in "the barn"!

huggie
22.03.2008, 22:39
Come on Shepherds!!!!!! Cant wait to PLAY an areas contest for the first time in years! Shame its in "the barn"!

Best of luck matey, I'll be watching for the results.

zak
22.03.2008, 22:59
Best of luck to my old mate Richard Wilton and South Milford Brass in the fourth section!!!!! :tup

Go for it Kezzer!!!!:clap:

Bass Man
23.03.2008, 11:54
One week to go, let the stress commence

Ste69
23.03.2008, 12:53
One week to go, let the stress commence

Yep - 'tis going to be a busy week :eek:

robcornet
23.03.2008, 13:06

Good luck mate, hope it goes well. Don't forget you blow in the narrow end of the cornet!!;) Also always watch the conductor as he know's what he's doing, or at least that's what you told me!:biggrin:

Burn_The_Test Piece
23.03.2008, 13:12
I hate area contests. I know that it's necessary but there's something a bit strange about playing in a cavernous room where half the audience listen to the same piece 10 times and the other half are bandsmen wishing bad luck & mistakes on you.

Too many negative vibes for my taste, give me a park job or decent concert any day.

bigrik
24.03.2008, 02:23
With the paltry audiences at the DC in recent years, it'd lose them too much money to hold it at the Sage.

How about the Barbican Centre in York?

think u might struggle i think its been knocked down

bigrik
24.03.2008, 02:40
come on the shepherds lot everyone will be half cut this time weeek and we'll have forgotton about it for one more year

Drah drah
24.03.2008, 13:01
Whattttt ooooo everyone..
Just thought I would pop by and give all you chap's and chapess's some moral support!!

Those bounders in the scarlet jackets will be right there again and YET another visit to London beckons... second place could be rather tight but those devils EYMS should take second spot..a bit of 'Childs' Play' ..think Ive just cracked a joke..Must tell ginger that one...

Any way Tally hooo and good luck!!

Ste69
24.03.2008, 14:02
Whattttt ooooo everyone..
Just thought I would pop by and give all you chap's and chapess's some moral support!!

Those bounders in the scarlet jackets will be right there again and YET another visit to London beckons... second place could be rather tight but those devils EYMS should take second spot..a bit of 'Childs' Play' ..think Ive just cracked a joke..Must tell ginger that one...

Any way Tally hooo and good luck!!

What a spiffing old bean!!!!! ;) Absolutely top drawer what???

Lucian Carstairs
24.03.2008, 15:23
Only my 2nd Post...so Please be gentle with me...
Well, here we are again coming up to the Northern Area Regional Contest, I know I was never much good at Geography but the Northern Area seems to stretch from our friends up in Northumberland to way down to our friends in Lincolnshire..!!!..is there no area contest nearer for such bands....like may I respectfully suggest ...perhaps the Yorkshire Area... (ps...not for our friends up North)...?

millie6589
24.03.2008, 15:28
come on the shepherds lot everyone will be half cut this time weeek and we'll have forgotton about it for one more year
yeah good luck matey!! will b sending positive thoughts! was thinking about coming up to support but will probably just get depressed that im not doing it too :(
x

Burn_The_Test Piece
24.03.2008, 16:36
Well, here we are again coming up to the Northern Area Regional Contest, I know I was never much good at Geography but the Northern Area seems to stretch from our friends up in Northumberland to way down to our friends in Lincolnshire..!!!..is there no area contest nearer for such bands....like may I respectfully suggest ...perhaps the Yorkshire Area... (ps...not for our friends up North)...?
The organisers will never let that happen because it makes too much sense.

bigrik
24.03.2008, 17:10
yeah good luck matey!! will b sending positive thoughts! was thinking about coming up to support but will probably just get depressed that im not doing it too :(
x

The areas are a load of *******s just make me lose hours at work hense loosing money and i just cant be ***** with a rehersal everynight this week NO DEAL thanks tho lol

see u soon

Grunsell
24.03.2008, 18:00
can i ask honestly which band do you all think will win each section ?
and more importantly (for me anyway) who do you rekon will win second section at darlington ??

Lucian Carstairs
24.03.2008, 18:43
For the Second Section it's looks like Barton Band are clear Favourites...

Burn_The_Test Piece
24.03.2008, 18:52
Wouldn't it be great if a band went on stage looking dead serious and then played Hootenanny? I'd give them the trophy right there and then.

Lucian Carstairs
24.03.2008, 18:57
Hootenanny...!!!...I can just picture the audience now clapping and dancing down the front...!!!

Burn_The_Test Piece
24.03.2008, 19:03
I bet that Messers Hope & Bramfitt would look fantastic doing the Chicken Reel. Mavis could do cartwheels over haybales as well to add a touch of class to the occasion.

on_castors
24.03.2008, 19:26
Played Hootenanny plenty of times when Alan Hope conducted Sunderland Borough Band many moons ago!.... can't remember any specific dance technique he had though ;-)

imthemaddude
24.03.2008, 20:30
I'd like to see Murton do well again this year and also good luck to my old band Backworth, hope another trip to Harrogate on the cards.

michellegarbutt
24.03.2008, 21:14
I'd like to see Murton do well again this year

Thanks Lynda

Lauradoll
25.03.2008, 09:11
The areas are a load of *******s just make me lose hours at work hense loosing money and i just cant be ***** with a rehersal everynight this week NO DEAL thanks tho lol

see u soon

Why play in a brass band then? Leave, go to work every day and feel happy and fulfilled in watching TV every night. Problem solved!!!

4/ 5 get ups left everybody.......

bigcol
25.03.2008, 10:20
Yep getting excited now. 2 practices plus on the day to go. All hail London, Paris, Rome and the Russian one.

Burn_The_Test Piece
25.03.2008, 11:59
Why play in a brass band then? Leave, go to work every day and feel happy and fulfilled in watching TV every night. Problem solved!!!

I love playing in a brass band but not everyone is as enthused with the area as you are. I put up with the ****, the frustration, the extra rehearsals, the bitching, the monotony, the politics, the inclusive snobbery, the geekiness, the (sometimes) questionable results, and the unwanted intrusion into my personal life for the following reasons:

- The area contest means so much to the other people in my band and bandsmen in general, and that to me is more important than my personal feelings.

- It allows me to remain in a band and pursue far more enjoyable & rewarding banding activities for the rest of the time like playing a varied musical programme & entertaining people at concerts & entertainment contests.

- It gives bands the chance to wipe the smiles off the smug faces of those people who have nothing better to do than slag off other bands. For those who do, we only like to get together & make music not plan terrorist activities, take a valium or get a girlfriend or something.

- A pint after you've played tastes so much better than a pint at any other time or place, doesn't it?

Right, that's my rant over. The intense week starts here. Best of luck everyone and I hope that you all have an enjoyable day.

bigrik
25.03.2008, 12:05

Cos our band do some awsome jobs for really good money and i feel that its just a right ball ache

bigrik
25.03.2008, 12:08
I love playing in a brass band but not everyone is as enthused with the area as you are. I put up with the ****, the frustration, the extra rehearsals, the bitching, the monotony, the politics, the inclusive snobbery, the geekiness, the (sometimes) questionable results, and the unwanted intrusion into my personal life for the following reasons:

- The area contest means so much to the other people in my band and bandsmen in general, and that to me is more important than my personal feelings.

- It allows me to remain in a band and pursue far more enjoyable & rewarding banding activities for the rest of the time like playing a varied musical programme & entertaining people at concerts & entertainment contests.

- It gives bands the chance to wipe the smiles off the smug faces of those people who have nothing better to do than slag off other bands. For those who do, we only like to get together & make music not plan terrorist activities, take a valium or get a girlfriend or something.

- A pint after you've played tastes so much better than a pint at any other time or place, doesn't it?

Right, that's my rant over. The intense week starts here. Best of luck everyone and I hope that you all have an enjoyable day.

i agree with this intensly nicely put ;)

Bass Man
25.03.2008, 13:11
4BarsRest predictions are out:

1. Reg Vardy
2. EYMS
3. Fishburn
4. Tavistock Chester le Street
5. Felling
6. Harrogate

Dark Horses: RMT Easington and Westoe

Di
25.03.2008, 13:21
4BarsRest predictions are out:

1. Reg Vardy
2. EYMS
3. Fishburn
4. Tavistock Chester le Street
5. Felling
6. Harrogate

Dark Horses: RMT Easington and Westoe

That matches the tMP predictions for top 3. :)

Has everyone made theirs? If not, hit "tMP Predictions" at the top to make your predictions.

dave jake
25.03.2008, 14:09
Just noticed we've git the kiss of death in the third section !

bigcol
25.03.2008, 14:24
Hurrah - love the 4BR predictions!!

michellegarbutt
25.03.2008, 14:25
can anyone give me a link to the predictions I can't find them

millie6589
25.03.2008, 14:28
can anyone give me a link to the predictions I can't find them
http://www.4barsrest.com/articles/2008/art830.asp

Lauradoll
25.03.2008, 14:29
Scroll down to the articles section, they're down there but not on the main index bit yet.

ploughboy
25.03.2008, 14:42
Brilliant in the 3rd section they've managed to preidict all 8 bands in there somewhere!! What a piece of sitting on the fence that is.

Goood luck to everyone at the weekend, specially my freinds in Stape, East Riding and Ripon (Shame they're all in the same section really!)

Burn_The_Test Piece
25.03.2008, 14:42
Back in the 80s 4BarsRest predicted that the Sinclair C5 was the future of transportation. They also said that mobile phones and the internet would never catch on.

More recently they have predicted that the Chris Waddle back perm will make a stunning comeback.

bigcol
25.03.2008, 15:02
A couple of gaffs in the 4th section - we didn't have a solid 7th last year, we came 7th and last in the 3rd section and got relegated!

And Stanhope have been accused of drug taking: "they were doping with regularity before their break"

Lol.

Still love it to bits though.

Burn_The_Test Piece
25.03.2008, 15:07
4BarsRest have us down as the dark horse. Oh dear, it seems that the hotelliers & innkeepers of Harrogate won't be getting my custom then.......

Ste69
25.03.2008, 16:31
I'm quite impressed this year - perhaps its because every other region has finished that they can spend a bit more time researching but the write ups for each band are positive and a generally good read.

(Makes me wish I could pop up to watch 4th and 3rd section on the Saturday)

Alas, rehearsals beckon :)

geordiecolin
25.03.2008, 18:14
I like the Bearpark summary:

"’The band that makes the North East Rock!’ – according to their website that is, returns this year hoping to improve on the disappointing result of 10th a year ago.

The Esh Band was originally formed in 1950 and joined forces with Bearpark in 1979, but its not clear from which date they started the rock and roll. Hopefully on Saturday night we may find out if they can really live up to their proud boast! "

(4barsrest.com)

Basically, an amusing way of saying "we haven't a clue"!

geordiecolin
25.03.2008, 18:19
Brilliant in the 3rd section they've managed to preidict all 8 bands in there somewhere!! What a piece of sitting on the fence that is.

'Tis the same in the top section. Well, can't complain, at least it stops them predicting us last by default!

The Blonde
26.03.2008, 16:28
Can't believe how quiet it is on here! Just because everyone else has forgotten about their area contests, doesn't mean we have to!

Come on everyone lets get behind all the competing bands at Darlington this weekend, and especially good luck to Reg Vardy...........

COME ON THE RED MACHINE!!!!!!!!!! :)

Liz

The Wherryman
26.03.2008, 16:31
Can't believe how quiet it is on here! Just because everyone else has forgotten about their area contests, doesn't mean we have to!Liz

Don't worry. This will no doubt kick off once the results are in :(

Good Luck to everyone!

geordiecolin
26.03.2008, 18:09
To be honest, I don't think anyone outside the North East could care less about our area contest.... that's probably why its so quiet!

The Blonde
26.03.2008, 18:26
I agree, but what about a bit of interest from within the North East?

Ste69
26.03.2008, 18:33

Agree with you there blondie but there's not a lot else to say till afterwards as its rehearsing all the way now!!!

Anyways - see you all Sunday eh? :)

Ruthless
26.03.2008, 18:37

Goood luck to everyone at the weekend, specially my freinds in Stape, East Riding and Ripon (Shame they're all in the same section really!)

Hmmph, what about your friends at Barton, or don't you care about us any more? Flugella and I will not talk to you next time we see you!!

Are you come to support us on Sunday? Would love to see you if you are

Ruthless
26.03.2008, 18:39

If you go back about 15 years the East yorks lot were in the yorkshire areas - they booted us out because they were too full and we have been travelling to Darlington ever since (And what a lovely bunch they are up in the North East too!;) )

Lucian Carstairs
26.03.2008, 18:42
Of course we are a lovely Bunch...lol..
I know you've been competing up here for some years now...and we think your a lovely bunch tooo:D

Lucian Carstairs
26.03.2008, 18:48

I think it's gone off the boil so to speak with being later than all the other areas....and I'm sure we've peaked tooo early;) ....

Blossom
26.03.2008, 18:54
To be honest, I don't think anyone outside the North East could care less about our area contest.... that's probably why its so quiet!

Don't put yourselves down.

Have just been reading the 4BR articles about your region. I reckon you're in for a good weekend. You've certainly got some high profile M.D's in your top section - will be interesting to see the results.

Some good test pieces this year so come on you north easteners - finish the regionals off on a high note.

Good Luck everybody.

Ste69
26.03.2008, 19:06
Don't put yourselves down.

Have just been reading the 4BR articles about your region. I reckon you're in for a good weekend. You've certainly got some high profile M.D's in your top section - will be interesting to see the results.

Some good test pieces this year so come on you north easteners - finish the regionals off on a high note.

Good Luck everybody.

You should come and listen - there's even a nice bar there - just dont forget your swimming cozzie and a quid for the lockers!!!! ;)

Blossom
26.03.2008, 19:18
You should come and listen - there's even a nice bar there - just dont forget your swimming cozzie and a quid for the lockers!!!! ;)

Might just do that - not so sure about the cozzie.:oops:

You must be in with a good chance - Bob Childs, they don't come much
better than him.:)

imthemaddude
26.03.2008, 19:21

Oh thanks Colin :frown:. I wont bother to come and hear you then! To be honest, out of all of the friends I made in bands in the North East, most of them don't appear to be registered on here and those that are don't seem to post that regularly.

nhrg
26.03.2008, 19:44
To my disgust I've just noticed that the swimming pool is shut on Sunday - thanks very much Dolphin Centre. That's the only bit I look forward to, especially with this contest piece. I shall take to the stage in my speedos in protest.:mad:

killer
26.03.2008, 22:12
A couple of gaffs in the 4th section - we didn't have a solid 7th last year, we came 7th and last in the 3rd section and got relegated!

And Stanhope have been accused of drug taking: "they were doping with regularity before their break"

Lol.

Still love it to bits though.

Even Bigger gaff,, they dont give South Milford Brass any chance at all !!!! Watch this space.

Killer

geordiecolin
26.03.2008, 23:36
Oh thanks Colin :frown:. I wont bother to come and hear you then! To be honest, out of all of the friends I made in bands in the North East, most of them don't appear to be registered on here and those that are don't seem to post that regularly.

Sorry lynda, nowt personal!!

The point I was making was that anyone without an interest in the north east, would be interested.

Hmm just reread that, talk about stating the obvious!!

ekimmort
27.03.2008, 08:51
To my disgust I've just noticed that the swimming pool is shut on Sunday - thanks very much Dolphin Centre. That's the only bit I look forward to, especially with this contest piece. I shall take to the stage in my speedos in protest.:mad:
If the rule regarding uniformity of dress on stage still applies, your protest should lead to some interesting sights. :clap:

Charmed
27.03.2008, 14:07
Just like to say good luck to Barrow Concert Band for this weekend. Show them what you can do.

:clap: :clap: :clap: :tup

Sleepylee
27.03.2008, 22:57
Even Bigger gaff,, they dont give South Milford Brass any chance at all !!!! Watch this space.

KillerHere we go again... It's all about second place.

Caged Tigers.

1st Position
28.03.2008, 00:10
Just in case anyone has a free Friday, the East Yorkshire Motor Services Brass Band is having an open rehearsal tomorrow evening (Friday 28th) at Maybury Primary School, Maybury Road, Hull. (Full directions are on our Band website www.eymsbrassband.co.uk (http://www.eymsbrassband.co.uk)).

Bob Childs will be putting the Band through their paces starting at 7.30pm.

Mephi
28.03.2008, 01:16
Just like to say a big 'good luck' to Lauradoll (the only person to attack me on Whit Friday with a lightsaber!!) and the Vardy lot. Also the same to Wansbeck's and my old Horden mates and again to my old (even if it was shorted lived!) charges at Marske.
Have a good day all up there and Laura, be careful doll! Swimming pool's shut but remember Isle of Wight??!! Hehe!

Lauradoll
28.03.2008, 07:30
Yike!!! I do as a matter of fact- surreal!!!

Good luck to all competing on Saturday/ Sunday, I'm going to good ol' Darlo tomorrow to cheer on kids from my school playing in Chester le Street Riverside Concert Band and also Craghead Band in the fourth section.

Looking forward to Sunday now- bring it on!!!

Drah drah
28.03.2008, 09:54
Whatttt Ohhhh chap's and chapess's!!

Ginge and I were in the offciers mess last night talking about the finer points of tapestry weaving and gine asked me ' What' s happended to Pasty Muchers Band'??

If anybody could tell me I would of course give you a nice shiney six-pence, and let ginge know over a game cribbage tonight!

Tallly Bally Hooo

YellowTubs
28.03.2008, 12:03
Just like to say good luck to Barrow Concert Band for this weekend. Show them what you can do.

:clap: :clap: :clap: :tup

bigcol
28.03.2008, 12:10
Whatttt Ohhhh chap's and chapess's!!

Ginge and I were in the offciers mess last night talking about the finer points of tapestry weaving and gine asked me ' What' s happended to Pasty Muchers Band'??

If anybody could tell me I would of course give you a nice shiney six-pence, and let ginge know over a game cribbage tonight!

Tallly Bally Hooo

Contact member DAK (http://www.themouthpiece.com/vb/member.php?u=5237) he is their secretary.

killer
28.03.2008, 14:22
Here we go again... It's all about second place.

Caged Tigers.

Its all about how many points there are between South Milford (winners) and 2nd place. Wait and see Sleepylee. We'l be like Caged Tigers by tomorrow. I just hope we're last on so at least there may be more than three people listening to how good we are!!! and i dont expect to be eating my words come Saturday afternoon . however, In the event that we dont win, (and thats very unlikely) then i will not be revisiting this web site until next years area !!

oh yes, before i go, i would like to wish all other competing bands in the 4th section the worst luck possible, (good sport that i am)

Killer

JR
28.03.2008, 14:39
We'l be like Caged Tigers by tomorrow. I just hope we're last on so at least there may be more than three people listening to how good we are!!! and i dont expect to be eating my words come Saturday afternoon . however, In the event that we dont win, (and thats very unlikely)
Killer

..nowt like confidence is there?

I remember Alan Minter saying something similar before he fought Marvin Hagler.

John R

Burn_The_Test Piece
28.03.2008, 15:00
Its all about how many points there are between South Milford (winners) and 2nd place. Wait and see Sleepylee. We'l be like Caged Tigers by tomorrow. I just hope we're last on so at least there may be more than three people listening to how good we are!!! and i dont expect to be eating my words come Saturday afternoon . however, In the event that we dont win, (and thats very unlikely) then i will not be revisiting this web site until next years area !!

oh yes, before i go, i would like to wish all other competing bands in the 4th section the worst luck possible, (good sport that i am)

Killer
I'm normally not fussed about results but on this occasion I hope that all the other bands in the 4th section thrash this arrogant lot and send them packing back to the area contest that they should be in. I'm only joking of course, I wish them all the best.

colourofspring
28.03.2008, 15:23
Hello all brass folks -

Me and my good lady are planning to do a spot of leafleting in Darlington tomorrow (Saturday). Any advice on where to be (outside the venue, I imagine) and the best time to be there would be appreciated. We hope that you'll all be nice to us - it's our first time so we very apprehensive. However, we will not be intrusive and you'll not find our leaflets under your windscreen wipers!!!!

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Lucian Carstairs
28.03.2008, 15:25
Oh yes South Millford, yet another band that chooses to travel 62 miles to Darlington instead of 30 miles to Bradford for a contest...I wonder why?

killer
28.03.2008, 16:05
..nowt like confidence is there?

I remember Alan Minter saying something similar before he fought Marvin Hagler.

John R

True but he did thrash Vito Antweferno or whatever his name was, the fight before.

Killer

imthemaddude
28.03.2008, 16:49
Oh yes South Millford, yet another band that chooses to travel 62 miles to Darlington instead of 30 miles to Bradford for a contest...I wonder why?

I was under the impression that the regional boundaries were set and not a 'choice'.

Mrs Fruity
28.03.2008, 18:58
There was some controversy when the boundaries were changed aroung 12 (?) years ago. I think they're set now, but at the time several bands applied to be part of the Northern Area instead of Yorkshire. I may be wrong, and I'm sure someone will let me know...

Blossom
28.03.2008, 22:23
There was some controversy when the boundaries were changed aroung 12 (?) years ago. I think they're set now, but at the time several bands applied to be part of the Northern Area instead of Yorkshire. I may be wrong, and I'm sure someone will let me know...

The changes to the regional boundaries were agreed by the NCC and Ann-Marie Sizer.

Bands could not apply to compete in the region of their choice - they didn't have a choice - they had to compete in the new regions.

Consequently some bands that had previously competed in Yorkshire region found themselves competing in the North region. Incurring much longer travel times and expense.

Lucian Carstairs
28.03.2008, 22:35
So, it has absolutely nothing to do with the Northern Area being just a 'tad' easier to qualify for the National Finals than the Yorkshire Area....Good..

Blossom
28.03.2008, 22:50
So, it has absolutely nothing to do with the Northern Area being just a 'tad' easier to qualify for the National Finals than the Yorkshire Area....Good..

I think it may have had more to do with bolstering the number of bands in the North area.

At the time some bands may have agreed with the changes thinking it easier to qualify in the North area than Yorkshire but I think that may be a misconception. The proof would be in the subsequent results.

How many of the bands who previously competed in the Yorkshire area and now compete in the North have qualified since the changes ?

I don't know - does anyone else ?

Lucian Carstairs
28.03.2008, 22:56
That's a fair point Blossom ...

ekimmort
28.03.2008, 23:52
Cottingham Qualified in Yorkshire for National Finals and Qualified in North of England. Likewise with City of Hull/EYMS and East Yorkshire Brass/Aunt Bessies.

imthemaddude
28.03.2008, 23:57
Stape too and Harrogate

BoozyBTrom
29.03.2008, 00:59
Good Luck to everyone competing this weekend.

All The Best

its going to be very strange not playing this year

bigcol
29.03.2008, 09:18
Well today's the day! Good luck to all those taking part today (apart from that sop player from South Milford ;)) hopefully the weather won't be too bad.

I'm doubling up today; after Backworth I'm playing for Barnard Castle so it will be a pretty looooong day for me.

Ste69
29.03.2008, 09:33
Good Luck to everyone competing this weekend.

All The Best

its going to be very strange not playing this year

Sorry you're not playing mate. But will you be popping up for a wee snifter in the bar afterwards (and maybe to listen to a couple of bands?) :)

Also, good luck to all bands this weekend (especially us) - I'm really looking forward to this one now!!! :cool:

BrassGroupie
29.03.2008, 13:48
Just a quick message to say best of luck to all the bands competing in tomorrow's Regionals!

Special good luck wishes to EYMS though... I'm very much looking forward to hearing how they play back under Bob Childs' stick!

Fun to have the battle of the Childs brothers in the North East region for a change! :-)

Good luck all! Go EYMS!

Ste69
29.03.2008, 16:27
I'm very much looking forward to hearing how they play back under Bob Childs' stick! Ooops, I think you meant baton there... stick sounds a bit wrong. Hehe! :biggrin:

BoozyBTrom
29.03.2008, 16:31
Sorry you're not playing mate. But will you be popping up for a wee snifter in the bar afterwards (and maybe to listen to a couple of bands?) :)

Also, good luck to all bands this weekend (especially us) - I'm really looking forward to this one now!!! :cool:

I shall be there supporting the local breweries yes!

Roger Thorne
29.03.2008, 20:04
This will no doubt kick off once the results are in

courtesy of 4BR

Saturday 29 March
Adjudicator: Colin Hardy
Four Cities Symphony - Rodney Newton
Commences: 12.00pm

1. South Milford Brass, R. Wilton, 4, 180
2. Kirkby Lonsdale Brass, A. Greenwood, 7, 177
3. Bearpark & Esh, V. Eckerman, 1, 175
4. Marske Brass, A. Prest, 11, 174
5. Trimdon Concert Brass, B. Wright, 2, 173
6. Stanhope Silver, S. Robson, 8, 172
7. Aycliffe & Brancepeth, M. Priestley, 13, 171
8. Swinton & District Excelsior, N. Sutherland, 12, 170
9. Kingsway Printers Cleethorpes, S. Askew, 3, 169
10. Lanchester, J. Fenwick, 10, 168
11. Chester-le-Street Riverside Concert Brass, M. Humphrey, 5, 167
12. Backworth Colliery, C. Harris, 9, 166
13. Craghead Colliery, J. Robson, 6, 165
Shepherd Group Concert Brass, M. Pratt, w

Best Euphonium: Glen Kilburn, South Milford
Best Cornet: Nicky Bond, South Milford

Top 2 bands qualify

;)

postie
29.03.2008, 20:27
Courtesy of 4bars rest:

Section 3

Saturday 29 March.
Adjudicator: Peter Roberts
The Dark Side of the Moon - Paul Lovatt-Cooper
Commences: following 4th Section results

1. Flookburgh, J. Iveson, 5, 184
2. Billingham Silver, V. Evans, 1, 182
3. Dunston Silver, S. Murrill, 2, 181
4. Barrow Concert, M. Scales, 3, 180
5. Ripon City, M. Dibb, 4, 179
6. Barnard Castle, D. Dunphy, 7, 178
7. Stape Silver, M. Breckon, 8, 177
8. East Riding of Yorkshire, P. Andrews, 6, 176

Top 2 bands qualify

imthemaddude
29.03.2008, 22:20
Well done Sue and Peter and my friends at Dunston....not far from the 2nd section now :) and well done to Monty and co at Bearpark.

Lucian Carstairs
29.03.2008, 22:41
Well done Esh...!!!!!

killer
29.03.2008, 23:34
I'm normally not fussed about results but on this occasion I hope that all the other bands in the 4th section thrash this arrogant lot and send them packing back to the area contest that they should be in. I'm only joking of course, I wish them all the best.

Not that i would even think of gloating.............. but

Would you believe it, South Milford, arrogant lot that they are swept the board, lets face it, the only way SMB could loose today was if we hadnt turned up, and even then we would have probably got 2nd place.

Nice one to all at SMB, even Kirst (probably the most arrogant player in the band)
Bring on the finals and i'm sure all our new fans will be cheering us on next Sep............. As if

Thanks to the N O E and i really do hope i havnt upset anyone.

Killer

zak
30.03.2008, 00:01

Would you believe it, South Milford, arrogant lot that they are swept the board, lets face it, the only way SMB could loose today was if we hadnt turned up, and even then we would have probably got 2nd place.

Nice one to all at SMB, even Kirst (probably the most arrogant player in the band)
Bring on the finals and i'm sure all our new fans will be cheering us on next Sep............. As if

Killer

Upset? ... NO
disappointed in you? .. YES
bad sportsmanship? ... YES

Richard Wilton is a really good friend of mine and I wouldn't think for one minute that he would want the band portrayed in this image you think amusing. Your comments undoubtedly will/are taking the shine off your no doubt worthy victory which is a real shame. If you think that you are been clever/funny with your comments then you are not, trust me.

Being a poor winner says nothing for all the hard work put in by all the other competing bands.

Ps... well done Richard on the victory, will give you a call in next few days matey!

Jan H
30.03.2008, 00:38

Here you go people, another example of what can happen when you're drunk.

T Winch
30.03.2008, 10:50
Upset? ... NO

Richard Wilton is a really good friend of mine and I wouldn't think for one minute that he would want the band portrayed in this image you think amusing. Your comments undoubtedly will/are taking the shine off your no doubt worthy victory which is a real shame. If you think that you are been clever/funny with your comments then you are not, trust me.

Being a poor winner says nothing for all the hard work put in by all the other competing bands.

Ps... well done Richard on the victory, will give you a call in next few days matey!

Too true. I missed their performance unfortunately but I know of at least 2 people who went in hoping to see them fall flat on their faces after reading the arrogant comments in this thread. The person who posted them has done nothing to win friends for the band. I'm sure though that the comments of this one person do not reflect the opinions of the rest of the band. Congratulations on what I hear was a worthy victory.

goosie baby
30.03.2008, 12:05

South Milford can't decide which area they play in, andeven if they did they would have cleared the table like they did in Darlington yesterday. They kick ass really well. So watch them, they are truly up and coming.

WELL DONE SOUTH MILFORD BRASS!:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

goosie baby
30.03.2008, 12:11
[quote=bigcol;592249]:confused: Just needed to ask if you were meaning Killer?

Killer won best Euphonium at Darlington yesterday
As far as I can see thru this thread the sop player ain't said a thing.:confused:

killer
30.03.2008, 12:34
Upset? ... NO

oops I,m getting told off, which i may add is nothing compared to the *******ing i have just recieved from the wife !

Anyway, here is my anticipated response.

Sense of humour......Yes
Disappointed that every one took my comments seriously....YES
Proud of SMB performance yesterday....Yes...............however

If i have caused any embarrassment to anyone associated to SMB then i apologise, The comments posted on this site were tongue in cheek and were not intended to be taken seriously, they were of my own doing and are not the views of South Milford Brass. in other words (and this is very difficult for me to say) I am very sorry.

Killer

ps we were brilliant you know ...... here i go again,... What am i gonna be like if we win the finals, what do i mean if !!!!!! talk to all next Sep

Lauradoll
30.03.2008, 12:59
Can I just say that I really enjoyed the South Milford performance yesterday, they really were worthy winners of the section and should do well in several sections higher. The standard in the section was much higher than I thought it would have been and I really enjoyed the piece too. I had a lovely afternoon yesterday!

Getting ready to head off to Darlo again now, hope I've remembered everything this time.........

Matt Lawson
30.03.2008, 13:18
I don't think I've quite ever read anything quite like the gloating on this thread!

Once you've come off your South Milford coloured soapbox, perhaps a little word of congratulations to the other twelve bands in the section who bust their b******s to get to Darlington and put a performance on.

Yes, you won by 3 points, and I wasn't there so presume it was justified, but think about the other bandsmen on here who are reading comments like "If we hadn't turned up, we'd still have come 2nd".

My ex band Swinton for example, I'm incredibly proud of them. They've got a very very young band and came back to Darlington this year after a year off, and to come 8th out of 13 is a great result for them.

So before whisking away on the South Milford honeymoon after your Darlington love-in, I suggest a brief moment to remember that some bands can go home proud even if they don't have a trophy or any prize money in tow.

Trumpettrousers
30.03.2008, 13:37
So before whisking away on the South Milford honeymoon after your Darlington love-in, I suggest a brief moment to remember that some bands can go home proud even if they don't have a trophy or any prize money in tow.

I couldn't agree more! we 2 have a very young band, had a great day and went home proud with 5th place :clap: :clap: :clap:

Jan H
30.03.2008, 13:41
Disappointed that every one took my comments seriously....YES
Now that's not true... some people thought you were just drunk :rolleyes:

steve butler
30.03.2008, 13:53
Many many congrats to Richard and all at South Milford for a great result!!

AND Killer ..................not everybody on here knows you and your "individual" sense of humour :wink: you can be such a silly boy (even bigger :wink:)

I can assure all you nice posters above who accuse SMB Band of arrogance, that there is in reallity just a friendly, confident bunch with a good sense of humour (well strange sense of humour in bald eagles case!!)

And, lets be fair and honest, contest wins don't come around that often so why not enjoy it?

imthemaddude
30.03.2008, 14:21
Section 2

Sunday 30 March
Adjudicator: Peter Roberts
Three Part Invention - Kenneth Downie
Commences: 10.00am

1. Barton Town, R. Evans, 5, 188
2. Murton Colliery, D. Noble, 6, 187
3. Dearham, G. Williams, 7, 186
4. Barrow Shipyard, D. Gittins, 2, 185
5. Houghton Brass, M. Bousie, 3, 184
6. Cockerton Prize Silver, G. Nicklin, 4. 183
7. York Railway Institute, D. Warley, 1, 182
8. Ferryhill Town, S. Norris, 8, 181
9. Durham Constabulary, K. McDonald, 9, 180
Hetton Silver, A. Seymour, w

Best soprano: Lenny Potts, Ferryhill
Best basses: Barton
Best euphonium: John McCloughlin, Dearham

Top 2 bands qualify

4barsrest

imthemaddude
30.03.2008, 14:23
Well done Murton :) I'm sure it was a well deserved 2nd place as I thought perhaps you deserved it last year. No doubt drinks are on Richard!!!

flugelman
30.03.2008, 14:44

AND Killer ..................not everybody on here knows you and your "individual" sense of humour :wink: you can be such a silly boy (even bigger :wink:)

I can assure all you nice posters above who accuse SMB Band of arrogance, that there is in reallity just a friendly, confident bunch with a good sense of humour (well strange sense of humour in bald eagles case!!)

And, lets be fair and honest, contest wins don't come around that often so why not enjoy it?

Couldnt agree more Butler. Well done SMB and Richard Wilton!! Fully deserved matey!!!

killer
30.03.2008, 15:11

Thanks Steve but dont be creeping, your not good enough to play for us anymore. for gods sake i,m only joking oh and by the way i dont drink.

Lucian Carstairs
30.03.2008, 15:15
Well Done Murton Today and well done Len Potts..!!!..Best sop..

Di
30.03.2008, 17:02
1. Kirkbymoorside Town, J. Woodward, 5, 190
2. Wansbeck's Ashington Colliery, N. Stedman, 1, 189
3. GT Group Peterlee, S. Malcolm, 3, 187
4. Lockwood Brass, J. Roberts, 7, 186
5. Shepherd Group Brass, T. Oldroyd, 2, 185
6. Broughtons, D. Hirst, 6, 184
7. Northumbrian Water Ellington Colliery, A. Fernie, 4, 183

Best basses: Kirkbymoorside
Best percussion: Wansbeck's Ashington Colliery

Courtesy www.4barsrest.com

All results so far have been added to Prediction Central. Pop along and see how you've scored. :)

a very flat b
30.03.2008, 17:22
:clap: Well done Barton and Murton!:clap:

karen1977
30.03.2008, 17:23
I can't comment on SMB is I didn't hear them play (they were on before us), but what I will say is that the comments we recieved from the adjudicator were in my opinion beyond belief. Yes he's entitled to his opinion in that we didn't play well etc, and that's fair enough (I think we did play quite well but that doesn't matter). What I expected from the adjuducators comments was constructive critisism (as he said he'd given) well, what contructive critisism? There was none, the band was completely slated. It's not sour grapes talking here but how are bands supposed to get better if that's what happens?

imthemaddude
30.03.2008, 17:35
Well done to my old band Ashington - Another trip to harrogate!! Nice to see Lockwood promoted to champ section if i've worked it out right.

sudcornet
30.03.2008, 19:54
I don't know which band Karen1977 is referring to, and obviously haven't seen their remarks, but I feel I need to defend Mr Hardy a bit.

The band I was conducting came 8th and were, justifiably, happy with their performance on stage. (We were 3 brass players and one shed short of a full load, so weren't realistically expecting prizes.)

The remarks were the type of thing I've been used to in the top section as a player, in that, they pointed out the players/sections throughout the performance where we had lost points; and I had to agree with everything that he said (including the bits aimed at me).

Taken in the wrong context they can read like a slating, but, read as I believe they were meant, they highlight all areas of that particular performance that could/should be improved upon and are, therefore constructive.

Adjudicating will (I hope) never become an exact science (there are too many wonderfully subtle nuances in music for it ever to be pinned down in such a way) and no adjudicator has the time to write a detailed critique and give helpful suggestions on how to improve. That's why I like this style of remark - to the point - "these are the reasons I deducted points" - and now it's up to the MD and the band to acknowledge these particular weaknesses and work forward to improve.

another two pennorth.

Sud.

BTW...congrats to my good mate Richard Wilton and his crew on an excellent win.

(Although you may need to rein in your hairless biker a bit on here - he's spoiling the image somewhat.)

imthemaddude
30.03.2008, 20:14
Championship Section

Sunday 30 March.
Adjudicator: David Horsfield
Festival Music - Eric Ball
Commences: following 1st Section results

1. Reg Vardy, Dr. N. Childs, 5, 194
2. EYMS, Dr. R. Childs, 1, 193
3. Felling, G. Tindall, 6, 192
4. Fishburn, R. Gray, 4, 190
5. Tavistock Chester-le-Street Riverside, I. Robinson, 2, 188
6. Westoe, D. Broadbent, 7, 186
7. RMT Easington Colliery, N. Law, 8, 184
8. Harrogate, D. Lancaster, 3, 183

Best soprano: Tom Glendinning, Reg Vardy
Best cornet: Jim Hayes, Reg Vardy
Best basses: Reg Vardy
Best percussion: EYMS

Top 2 bands qualify

4barsrest

a very flat b
30.03.2008, 20:15
Well done EYMS!

Superb performance.

TuTuKu
30.03.2008, 20:18
Massive congrats to Barton... what a few years you've had!

KMJ Recordings
30.03.2008, 20:29
Congratulations to our friends at Kirkbymoorside for their win, and at Felling for a fantastic result first time out in the Championship Section :clap:

Drah drah
30.03.2008, 20:57
Well what a day, Ginge and myself have just returned from a bit of hunting and we thought we would congratulate those blighters in the scarlet jackets , who must now know the road to london like the back of their hands and also those devils EYMS, Top draw stuff also well done to that new band in the section Felling, a cracking band, and a top stick wagger!!
Ginge reckons we should have had a Shilling on at the turft accountants as he predictated 1 and 2 we may have come out a tops!! Whatttt ohhhh
Well must dash as we're off to the mess for some top scran and lashings of grog.
Talllyyyy Ballyyy Hooo

karen1977
30.03.2008, 21:29
I know what you are saying Sudcornet and I have no doubt that Mr Hardy is good at what he does otherwise he wouldn't have been asked to do the job. But, no-one I've spoken to (within and outside of the band) feels what was written was constructive, it left you with the feeling why bother :(

Anyway, that's my gripe over better luck next time. Well done to everyone who qualified, best of luck in September :)

SoloBaritone
30.03.2008, 22:44
Well done Felling, great result!

Jayne

steve butler
30.03.2008, 23:12
Can somebody (mod) please explain to me why my recent post on this thread has been removed?
A pm will do.
For the life of me I can't see any problem.
I am quite happy to supply a full explanation of the One Voice incident, which believe me is quite innocent (but vey funny) and may cause killer a tad embarrassment.

catherine_S
30.03.2008, 23:33
My ex band Swinton for example, I'm incredibly proud of them. They've got a very very young band and came back to Darlington this year after a year off, and to come 8th out of 13 is a great result for them.

Matt, I will forgive you just about anything for calling me young;) Seriously though I'm incredibly proud of all our players and grateful to Nigel for the amount of work he has put in to enable us actually to geet to Darlington this year - there were times when I thought it just wouldn't happen!

Well done to all the bands in our section - getting there is an achievement in itself and winning is a bonus!

Mind you, I'm deeply jealous of those bands who got an earlier draw and managed some drinking time!!

Burn_The_Test Piece
30.03.2008, 23:38
In my opinion Colin Hardy's remarks were not a true reflection of my band's performance. This has made a lot of people upset and disillusioned with attending contests.

I don't wish take away the shine from any other band in the 4th section, I hope that you feel that you were treated fairly. In future I do not intend to waste my time by taking part in this charade again.

Notebook
30.03.2008, 23:39
Just got back and have 1500 words to write by lunch tomorrow for bandsman....
but had to put this pic on of fellow TMP'er Lauradoll

Well done kid!!

Next drinks are on her!!!

imthemaddude
30.03.2008, 23:44

Well done kid!!

That's about right! Nice one Laura and well done to some of your school kids too.

cornetmeister
31.03.2008, 00:02
I thought our remarks (Marske) reflected our performance fairly. Mr Hardy pointed out where we went wrong - nothing we didn't already know when we came off stage - but also gave some praise for what we got right.

I'd just like to say a massive thanks to our MD, Alun Prest, for all the hard work he put in with the band - it's just a shame a few nerves and too much hanging around got in the way a little of us showing what we really can do.

Well done to all the bands who took part, especially the top 3. To all those who didn't, there's always next year. Good luck to SMB and Kirby Lonsdale at Harrogate.

cornetmeister
31.03.2008, 00:13
Well done to all the bands who took part, especially the top 3. To all those who didn't, there's always next year. Good luck to SMB and Kirby Lonsdale at Harrogate.

D'oh! I meant:

To all those who didn't get placed, there's always next year.

Silly me. Sorry, folks, if my previous post didn't make sense.

2nd man down
31.03.2008, 09:32
Well done to our friend Mr Wilton and his band for what sounds to have been a good performance and excellent result. :clap:

A tad less up front bravado next year from some members of the band may leave a little more gloss on the outcome I feel tho. :-? :rolleyes:

Lauradoll
31.03.2008, 10:34
Weyhey!!
What a day.
Yey!

geordiecolin
31.03.2008, 10:37
Well done everyone over the weekend, especially Felling and Murton who both had blinding results.

I'm pleased with our 6th, we were never going to win but we did ourselves proud and before the contest were probably most people's last placed band, so to beat 2 bands was satisfying and not mention the band's best contest result possibly since those British Open winning days of the early 1900s!!

Looking forward to it all again next year!

killer
31.03.2008, 11:16
Well done to our friend Mr Wilton and his band for what sounds to have been a good performance and excellent result. :clap:

A tad less up front bravado next year from some members of the band may leave a little more gloss on the outcome I feel tho. :-? :rolleyes:

Fair point.

Killer

The Blonde
31.03.2008, 12:04
Weyhey!!
What a day.
Yey!

Totally agree, well done to everybody, especially our good mates at Felling.

The usual highly entertaining journey home with a certain well known bass trombone player rounded off an excellent weekend!

see you all next year.

Liz Simpson
RV supporter

cornetgirl
31.03.2008, 12:43
Well done everyone on some excellent playing over the weekend! Congrats to everyone who qualified and commiserations to those who didn't - I'm sure you all played well and did yourselves and your bands proud though.

Especially congrats to Murton who will be joining us at Harrogate! Sadly didn't hear you play as you were straight after us but I bet it was a cracker!

Just sooo glad it's all over - first contest on flugel in 3 years and boy was I shaking!!!

2nd man down
31.03.2008, 13:15
Hey up Rach, I hadn't realised you were playing with Barton, Well done indeed!! :biggrin: :clap: If I'd realised that I'd have wished you good luck before you played too, not that you needed it apparently! :-?

Mrs Fruity
31.03.2008, 13:24

Well done kid!!

Nice earrings Laura! And ta for the nana, and for running to get it for me (what a cheeky mare I am!)
Well done to all of the prizewinners!!!!

YellowTubs
31.03.2008, 13:24
This is just a quick post to say well done to all who competed in the contest over the weekend, and a special word for Barrow Concert Band in the Third Section, who came 4th despite 4barsrest having us down as 7th or 8th in their predictions. (One word guys - Hah! ;-)

I've been with Barrow for nearly 21 years, and we've seen some serious ups and downs, we've seen bands come and go, and through out it all we've stuck with it! We've been up and down the sections, and hopefully on the up again! We've got a brilliant bunch of players, and a junior band who impressed me with their musical ability one rehearsal a week or so ago.

So this is just to say well done to Barrow in particular for all the work we did over the last few weeks on a really good piece of music, and thanks for putting up with me, my noise and violently yellow drum kit!

Also to say well done to Barton Town Band for their result in the Second Section. It's great that we have two really good bands close together geographically in an area where bands are a little scarce.

robcornet
31.03.2008, 13:54
Well done EYMS!

Superb performance.

I'll second that! Sounded fantastic:tup ,I was lucky enough to get to listen to the band play before we left The Dolphin Centre.:clap:

Good luck at The Royal Albert Hall!:clap:

chiephonium
31.03.2008, 16:25
thanks for the kind words....

well done to all the bands in the prizes on the weekend....

particularly

Reg Vardy --- very fine performance and looking forward to representing our region at london alongside them again....

Felling Band --- first year up and what a result --- a very solid performance indeed with a fantastic reading from Reg in the middle.....

South Milford --- well done everyone.....

Barton Band ---- "the band from over the water" did it again..... best of luck at the Nationals....

cheers all

Andy

tindagrae
31.03.2008, 18:42
Felling Band --- first year up and what a result --- a very solid performance indeed with a fantastic reading from Reg in the middle.....

Cheers Chief! Great to see you & the gang again yesterday. See you soon no doubt!

michellegarbutt
31.03.2008, 18:57
Thanks Lynda, Colin and Rachel we're still on cloud 9.

Rachel I didn't know you were playing for Barton. Why didn't you come over and say hello?

Ruthless
31.03.2008, 19:02

Rachel I didn't know you were playing for Barton. Why didn't you come over and say hello?
She was worried you wouldn't remember her and beaker.....:rolleyes:

Bass Man
31.03.2008, 19:32
Well done everyone over the weekend, especially Felling and Murton who both had blinding results.

Cheers Guys

Absolutley cracking results all round. Well done to each of you

Ruthless
31.03.2008, 19:32
Well done to everyone in the North of England areas. It was good to see loads of old friends again, especially the Murton lot. Well done on your 2nd place - lets go and enjoy Harrogate and see what the North of England bands can do there.

I also wanted to congratulate everyone in Barton Town band for a storming job, thanks for making me feel so welcome since joining you. Baby was very well behaved yesterday and let me get through the performance without problems unlike during the practice hymns in the morning!!

[OCUK]Kitchster_uk
31.03.2008, 21:33
My hangover has just finished which is a pain as I've been at work all day!!!!

What a result for us (Murton) and a really well-deserved one I feel since Dennis Noble has brought the band on such a long way. Wveryone played well on the day. Special mention to Sarah Noble on sop - 2nd contest on the squealer and playing brilliantly and also thanks to Michelle for letting Stan play out til late last night.

Well done Barton as well, see you guys in Harrogate!!!

Adam
1st Bari
Murton Colliery band

richardhall
31.03.2008, 21:34
Thanks Lynda, Colin and Rachel - our best ever result at the Regionals!

Congratulations to Barton on winning the section - and the other qualifiers -hope we all do well at the finals!

Lauradoll
31.03.2008, 22:24
Ha I am loving the pic Notebook- total treat!

What a great weekend, banding in the North East really is alive and kicking!

So many highlights for me-
1) South Milford's performance- the first time I'd heard the piece and the first performance I heard at the contest. Good luck at Harrogate!

2) The band after South Milford- Chester le Street, watching the kids from my school (and a few older bodies!!) taking to the stage and giving it their all made me so proud.

3) Catching up with people from home/ Mancs/ here all in the one place- too many people and not enough time.

4) Winning. Yey. It's always good!!

But the highlight of the weekend for me was when they announced Felling third. It honestly was a fantastic result for such a hardworking, friendly bunch of people. Pure class.

michellegarbutt
31.03.2008, 22:44
She was worried you wouldn't remember her and beaker.....:rolleyes:

How could we forget her

oldtubaguy
01.04.2008, 11:52
2) The band after South Milford- Chester le Street, watching the kids from my school (and a few older bodies!!) taking to the stage and giving it their all made me so proud.

Thanks Laura - the young 'uns did well though didn't they? I think the 'less young' bodies showed more nerves than the youngsters did on the stand as well.

Congrats to RV - jolly good show.

Sparky
02.04.2008, 18:31
Congratulations to all the Bands qualifying for Harrogate and the RAH from the Northern Region. My special congratulations must go to the lads and lasses from Wansbeck's Ashington Colliery for qualifying in their first year in the first section. Well done folks!

stickie
02.04.2008, 20:06
Thanks sparky. We at WACB are delighted to have qualified for our third successive year. Its nice to enjoy the "highs" as there are always more lows in contesting. Congratulations to all the qualifiers and I am sure all the NorthEast bands will give it their best efforts in Sept/Oct.
Lets hope we can get a local band in the prizes.

cornetgirl
08.04.2008, 20:10

I was pacing around like a nervous idiot trying not to be sick! Didn't think it would help if I vommed all over the band that followed us, not good form really!!!! :rolleyes: