Newland Concert, Robert Fraser.
Penicuik Silver, Terry Johns
Queensferry Community Brass, John Gilmour
Renfrew Burgh, David Hutcheson

Information courtesy :
John Martin

weemarky
17.02.2008, 21:49
Woo Hoo!!! Bring it on! The build up starts here!!!!

Gutted I wont be there but good luck to everyone especially Kingdom Brass in the Championship Section and Dalkieth and Monktonhall in the 3rd Section!

Weemarky

groovy
05.03.2008, 16:25
NYBBS is going to have a stand set up at the Scottish, as we are having a prize draw to raise funds for our tour of Japan. Come and support us! The draw is next month, and there will be a great selection of prizes, including a Regal cornet. :clap: :biggrin:

If you are feeling generous you could always come and make a donation, as well as buying raffle tickets!

In fact, the winning bands at the weekend could give their prize money to us too.

:biggrin:

Looking forward to a good weekend, good luck to everyone!!

brassneck
06.03.2008, 14:00
Any more information regarding the arrangements for warm-up facilities? Last evening I was told that there is a room set aside that bands can use an hour in advance of playing (... and that includes the early starts).

bassmittens
07.03.2008, 12:12
Just a quick note to wish Barrhead all the best in the first section this year - hope to see you all in Harrogate again this year!!!

Also all the best to Mr H with Dalmellington and to Dunaskin and JB in the championship section.

Hope to see you all soon!

Lindon

brassneck
08.03.2008, 15:17
Section 2: RESULTS

Saturday 8 March
Adjudicators: David Thornton & Steve Pritchard-Jones
Three Part Invention - Kenneth Downie
Commences: 1000

1. Campbeltown Brass (C. Anderson), 10, 188
2. Johnstone (Ray Tennant), 3, 186
3. Croy (K. Blackwood), 6, 184
4. Tullis Russell Mills (G. Londsay), 1, 182
5. Shotts St. Patricks (M. Marzella), 8, 181
6. Jedforest Instrumental (C. Bradley), 7, 180
7. Perthshire Brass (G. Annan), 9, 179
8. Selkirk Silver (C. Hogg), 11, 178
9. Kilmarnock Concert Brass (A. Keachie), 4, 177
10. City of Discovery Brass (B. Fraser), 2, 175
11. Clydebank Burgh (J. Grant), 5, 174

http://www.4barsrest.com/news/detail.asp?id=7392

NAS
08.03.2008, 15:39
Congratulations to Willie Ralston and crew at Campbeltown!

brassneck
08.03.2008, 19:14
Section 4:RESULTS (4@RESULTS)

Saturday 8 March
Adjudicators: David Read & Raymond Tennant
Four Cities Symphony - Rodney Newton

1. Renfrew Burgh (D. Hutcheson), 6, 180
2. Irvine and Dreghorn Brass (D. McKellar), 1, 179
3. Newland Concert (R. Fraser), 4, 177
4. Penicuik Silver (T. Johns), 3, 175
5. Brass Sounds Inverclyde (A. McCorkell), 7, 174
6. Dumfries Town (P. Heyes), 2, 173
7. Queensferry Community Brass (J. Gilmour), 5, 171
8. Dysart Colliery (W. Sandell), 8, 170

Top 2 bands qualify

Soloist: Solo cornet, Irvine and Dreghorn Brass
Youngest Bb Bass: Graham Deacon, Renfrew Burgh

Best Soloist 3rd Section:- Hannah McSporran. Sop, Campbeltown Brass

http://www.4barsrest.com/news/detail.asp?id=7392

tubabum
08.03.2008, 23:05
Section 3

Saturday 8 March
Adjudicators: Steve Sykes & Steve Pritchard-Jones
The Dark Side of the Moon - Paul Lovatt-Cooper
Commences: following 4th Section results

1. Dalkeith and Monktonhall Colliery, J. Chamberlain, 10, 179
2. Annan Town (APD), D. Shanks, 2, 177
3. St. David's Brass, J. Dickson, 4, 175
4. Bon-Accord Silver B, B. Wallace, 3, 174
5. Dunfermline Town, D. Neil, 11, 173
6. Coalburn Silver, G. Bowman, 5, 172
7. Tayport Instrumental, F. Culross, 9, 171
8. MacTaggart Scott, A. Fernie, 6, 170
9. Dundee Instrumental (St. Margaret's), E. Tonner, 8, 169
10. Buckhaven and Methil Miners, G. Evans MBE, 1, 168
11. Turriff Silver, F Cranna, 7, 167

Top 2 bands qualify
Soloist: Stuart Dickson, St. David's Brass

Courtesy of 4Barsrest

Alisop
09.03.2008, 02:44
Whoooooop! Annan Town Band! Go Us!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Whooooooooooooop!!!!!!
(sorry just got home! Bit drunk but very happy!

DMBabe
09.03.2008, 02:47
Well done Annan... after last years debacle its nice to see we both get to go back to where we came from! :clap:

Sold-Out-Bari
09.03.2008, 02:59
WELL DONE RENFREW!!!!

A LONG TIME COMING AND WELL DESERVED!

:clap:

BbBill
09.03.2008, 11:44
Wahay!!!!!!!

Am still over the moon and probably still drunk!!! What a result, cant believe it!! Harrogate here we come baby!!!

and well done our Hannah McSporran in picking up the solo prize!!

Markbone
09.03.2008, 12:11
:D :clap: :D

Still hasn't hit me yet!

And well done to Hannah for gettin best instrumentalist :tup

:D

BbBill
09.03.2008, 12:19
You sounded abit slow on the radio this morn Mark, hows the head?!!

Markbone
09.03.2008, 12:25
Sore :) Wasn't really feeling like havin 2 get up 4 it, but no could I miss today's show! Not really good 4 much apart from on the computer just now :( haha how r u today after the celebrations?!

bbg
09.03.2008, 15:27
Congratulations to Campbeltown - just sorry that we didn't finish 2nd to you again after last March and the Challenge Cup, but overall we're reasonably happy with 7th in our first year up in second section - all the best for Harrogate. I hope that the young lady who was unable to "celebrate" Campbeltown's success last March 'cos she was about to become a mummy enjoyed a wee glass or two last night! Congrats too to Johnstone, and commiserations to Croy who just missed out in 3rd.

Will be interesting to see folks' thoughts on the venue - sadly not the best in terms of space / accomodation for instruments etc, but the hall staff were pleasant and a huge thank-you to the SBBA team who worked their collective socks off once again to ensure the smooth running of the day.
As at Perth in November, we were fortunate in having the professionalism and sheer class of Alastair Hutton as compere - an absolute delight.

bbg
09.03.2008, 15:30
Just had alook at some other results - big congratulations to Clackmannan! Will you still be speaking to your old bandmates now that you'll be in the Championship section, Katy and Jack??!

tubabum
09.03.2008, 15:30
Section 1

Sunday 9 March
Adjudicators: David Thornton & Steve Sykes
James Cook - Circumnavigator - Gilbert Vinter
Commences: 1030

1. Bo'ness and Carriden, M. Marzella, 6, 190
2. Clackmannan District Brass, P. Kiernan, 4, 189
3. Lochgelly, P. Drury, 1, 187
4. Barrhead Burgh, M. Ramsay, 5, 186
5. Kirkintilloch Kelvin Brass, C. Keenan, 7, 185
6. Bathgate, J. Smith, 3, 184
7. Broxburn and Livingston, K. Price, 8, 183
8. Arbroath Instrumental, M. Robertson, 2, 182
9. St. Ronan's Silver, A. Knox, 9, 180
10. Granite City Brass, E. Paley, 10, 179

Top 2 bands qualify
Soloist: Richard Tobin, Bo'ness and Carriden

Courtesy of 4BarsRest

The-Wee-Timpanist
09.03.2008, 19:03
Woooo! Go Annan! We're going to Harrogate!! :D

Fergus
09.03.2008, 19:52
Scottish Championship Section

1. Whitburn, R. Gray, 3, 193
2. Kirkintilloch, S. Simonsen, 8, 192
3. Kingdom Brass, C. Anderson, 7, 189
4. Scottish Co-op, A. Ramsay, 9, 188
5. Unison Kinneil, C. McKenzie, 6, 184
6. Bon-Accord Silver, M. Hansen, 10, 182
7. Dalmellington, A. Hutchison, 1, 181
8. Newtongrange, R. Farr, 2, 180
9. Dunaskin Doon, J. Boax, 4, 177
10. Newmilns and Galston, A. McCutcheon, 5, 175

Top 2 bands qualify
Soloist: coming later

Courtesy of 4barsrest

brassneck
09.03.2008, 23:33
An interesting day at the Scottish. Acoustics were a lot different to what I expected. Has any changes been made to the structure of the halls in recent years?

bbg
09.03.2008, 23:41
The principal difference that I noticed from when Grimethorpe played there a few years back was the actual staging - I am sure that Grimey played on the flat floor of the hall without even the three foot high temporary stage used over the weekend. Could this have some effect on the acoustic, which was very dry indeed?

groovy
09.03.2008, 23:42
Just had alook at some other results - big congratulations to Clackmannan! Will you still be speaking to your old bandmates now that you'll be in the Championship section, Katy and Jack??!
Of course Brian :D Its always a pleasure! Disappointed to miss you lot yesterday but we were rehearsing till 3. You will be pleased with that, very respectable 7th, and great to see PB staying up in the 2nd section - definately overdue and the only was is up! Mr A used to always say that the band should be in the 2nd section and he's right :D

Aye we were delighted today, Championship section will be a challenge but looking forward to it! We'll just get Harrogate over with first though!

Well done to everyone over the weekend - Cambeltown, what a result! And good to see other Fife bands doing well - congrats to Bo'ness, and Kingdom for a fantastic 3rd place in the Championship section.

brassneck
09.03.2008, 23:47
Could this have some effect on the acoustic, which was very dry indeed?

- I don't mind dry stage acoustics as long as it doesn't make you feel too isolated from the band, but the lighting was kinda hot! Sitting at various points throughout the hall still revealed detail from performances and also vibration from the floor of the seating gallery when any band dared to power bass section and bass drum.

BbBill
10.03.2008, 01:52
Didnt seem as dry as Id thot it be, in fact I quite liked it, didnt feel isolated at all and seemed loud enough even tho I wasnt honking it out too much!

There was a row of lights behind Craig that kinda blinded me from him abit, but as usual the sweat was pouring off with being quite warm under the lights!

brassneck
10.03.2008, 02:03
Didnt seem as dry as Id thot it be, in fact I quite liked it, didnt feel isolated at all and seemed loud enough even tho I wasnt honking it out too much!

There was a row of lights behind Craig that kinda blinded me from him abit, but as usual the sweat was pouring off with being quite warm under the lights!

Congrats on your win on Saturday and Craig must also be chuffed at Kingdom getting 3rd. Pity I never saw you to say hello and let you try that ex-mouthpiece of Steve Sykes.

Colin Hogg
10.03.2008, 08:46
I would like to congratulate the organisers at the Scottish Areas. I have conducted and played at most other area venues, but the organisation at Glenrothes was the best I have come across. Some one had gone to a lot of trouble to guess the running order timings. Each band knew exactly where they had to be and at what time. Selkirk and I were drawn 11, but the timings were only a few minutes out when we went on.
The results were quick and after the top 3 were given, the whole section was shown on the over head screen on the stage. So no running around asking othe bands where they came so you could get the final places!!
Well done.
Also like to thank all at Selkirk for making me so welcome, hope we can do it again some time.

Gorgie boy
10.03.2008, 10:24
Thought the Championships were excellently run over the weekend. It was a great atmosphere yesterday with the hall very busy most of the time. Even my band with the dreaded no.1 draw was playing to a reasonably well filled hall. Hopefully we will be back to the Rothes Halls again.

As for acoustics I was pretty happy with what was on offer. Had the chance to sit in the adjudicator's spot in the hall in the week running up to the contest and from there you could hear absolutely everything.

Great result for Kingdom, well done to Whitburn on an overdue Scottish title, and well done to my two bands, Kirkie getting back to London after a disappointing second half of 2007 and Lochgelly on a brilliant third place in 1st section off a number one draw! :clap: :clap::clap: Had a premonition about that.

Well done to my pal Willie Ralston and his Cambeltown crew, fantastic result to beat a good band like Johnstone, and well done Jim Chamberlain and Dalkeith. Back in the 2nd section at the first attempt.

McChambo
10.03.2008, 11:24
Great result for Kingdom, well done to Whitburn on an overdue Scottish title, and well done to my two bands, Kirkie getting back to London after a disappointing second half of 2007 and Lochgelly on a brilliant third place in 1st section off a number one draw! :clap: :clap::clap: Had a premonition about that.

Well done to my pal Willie Ralston and his Cambeltown crew, fantastic result to beat a good band like Johnstone, and well done Jim Chamberlain and Dalkeith. Back in the 2nd section at the first attempt.

Thanks Paul. Well done to you and Lochgelly! In fact, congrats to all prizewinners. What a great weekend! I actually made it to work this morning, albeit with a very sore head......................

One question remains though, did Mr. Pritchard-Jones write anything positive over the weekend?? I don't think he was too impressed with any of the 3rd section bands!! Thankfully, Steve Sykes gave us a much more positive crit.

Roll on Harrogate / London / Ostend / Prestonpans...................

Dave1
10.03.2008, 12:52
"One question remains though, did Mr. Pritchard-Jones write anything positive over the weekend?? I don't think he was too impressed with any of the 3rd section bands!! Thankfully, Steve Sykes gave us a much more positive crit."

Have to agree Jim (and well done by the way) although he did write "good percussion" for us.

FastFinguredFreddy
10.03.2008, 13:15
Have to say well done to all the prize winners. Venue was pretty good, although shame the warm up rooms acoustics were so different to that of the actual stage but then maybe I'm being picky!

Got to agree with the above comments about the adjudicators as I found the same with our crits. Makes it feel a bit like a "you were the best of a bad bunch" job. Still that aside well done all including the stage crew etc who made it all run smoothly.

johnmartin
10.03.2008, 14:21
Steve Sykes and Steve Pritchard-Jones were critical of the standard of the third section in their remarks from the stage and their points reflected that with the winning band only being awarded 179 points. As far as I am concerned if the standard is bad then be honest and say so and well done to the adjudicators for doing that. If my band played badly, as we did at Harrogate in 2005 (with Steve Sykes in the box coincidentally), then I would appreciate the adjudicators being brutally honest rather than try to be nice about it. If you don't know where you went wrong then how can you hope to improve.

MrsC
10.03.2008, 14:23
Are you saying that the bands that won the 3rd section didn't really deserve to be there??? :eek:

brassneck
10.03.2008, 14:26
Are you saying that the bands that won the 3rd section didn't really deserve to be there??? :eek:

I think John is saying that the judge's expectations were not met generally for that section. That doesn't mean they didn't grade the bands by relative standards on the day.

johnmartin
10.03.2008, 14:32
As brassneck points out I am merely saying that I think it is quite alright for an adjudicator, especially in the Nationals, to give an indication of the overall standard. The bands that won here will be able to look at their score and remarks and judge that against the points from other areas to get an idea of what they need to do to compete in Harrogate.

johnmartin
10.03.2008, 14:39
Roll on HarrogateGreat result for your band Jim and another chance for glory at Harrogate. It always annoys me that we (Lochgelly) let you down badly at Harrogate in 2005 and I really do wish you well and hope you get a much better placing this time around.

redstripe
10.03.2008, 16:57
dodgy result at scottish areas!! scottish co-op won by a mile, as the majority of the audience seemed to go along with the same sentiment, yet they did'nt even qualify.....could somebody please explain?????

brittm
10.03.2008, 17:07
dodgy result at scottish areas!! scottish co-op won by a mile, as the majority of the audience seemed to go along with the same sentiment, yet they did'nt even qualify.....could somebody please explain?????

Hmmm..... 1st post? dodgy result? no name......????:confused:

I wasn't at the Scottish Areas, as I was busy winning ours! but I'd be interested in an objective opinion from a real person.

Well done Kirki and Whitburn! Good to see Kirki back after a couple of lack lustre results..

Martin Britt

redstripe
10.03.2008, 17:16
it would be nice to contest such a weak area as yours.......i know you,ll agree......

johnmartin
10.03.2008, 17:23
it would be nice to contest such a weak area as yours.......i know you,ll agree......
Hey great first couple of posts can't wait to see you on Question Time. Do you do kids parties too.

brittm
10.03.2008, 17:30

I only came on this thread to congratulate two bands, in which I have a couple of mates. As I said, I didn't hear any performances and I'm sure The Co did a great job too!

I'd hope that my light hearted coment re. winning in our area would be taken as just that. Maybe I should keep my thoughts to myself?

Cheers, Martin

Sandy Smith
10.03.2008, 18:03
Maybe I should keep my thoughts to myself?

Cheers, Martin

No, of course you shouldn't Martin.

But perhaps "Redstripe" should until he/she has the bottle to put a name to their posts.I've no problem with the opinion expressed but it really does have more kudos when you have an idea how the poster is involved.

As from an explanation for the result - that is easy.

Two judges listened to all the bands and then put them in the order which they believed each deserved.Very simple.

It's called contesting.

DMBabe
10.03.2008, 18:33
Have to agree Jim (and well done by the way) although he did write "good percussion" for us.
Our percussion were "super" which means my hubby won't stop crowing!;)

Steve Sykes and Steve Pritchard-Jones were critical of the standard of the third section in their remarks from the stage and their points reflected that with the winning band only being awarded 179 points. As far as I am concerned if the standard is bad then be honest and say so and well done to the adjudicators for doing that. If my band played badly, as we did at Harrogate in 2005 (with Steve Sykes in the box coincidentally), then I would appreciate the adjudicators being brutally honest rather than try to be nice about it. If you don't know where you went wrong then how can you hope to improve.
Aye, but if I'm not mistaken band 1 is the points starting point and they only gave 169 to them (other sections started around 180) so even the best band in the world is gonna be unlikely to suddenly leap to 190ish range or am i missing the point that the points system is all relative??? surely its about the range of points involved not where they are?????:confused:

How very dare that man!:ranting2: Of course we did........ see above..... and besides only us and Campbelltown won by 2 points rather than the one point difference elsewhere! I'm smelling a fruity sour smell.... think it might be those Sour grapes???;)

DMBabe
10.03.2008, 18:42
Notice how u don't mention where your "ever so strong" region is!!!! Something to hide! Like Sandy says (hi btw) if its worth saying its worth admitting to!

Must be difficult to be so overconfident yet so bitter and twisted!

Personally i look forward to meeting bands from all over at HARROGATE! and we're all supportive of each other too.... you should try it, it's fun!!:D

johnmartin
10.03.2008, 18:44
Aye, but if I'm not mistaken band 1 is the points starting point and they only gave 169 to them (other sections started around 180) so even the best band in the world is gonna be unlikely to suddenly leap to 190ish range or am i missing the point that the points system is all relative??? surely its about the range of points involved not where they are?????:confused: I note your confusion and understand it. One of the reasons why I don't see any point (no pun intended) in awarding points. Why not just list the bands in finishing order.

How very dare that man!:ranting2: Of course we did........ see above..... and besides only us and Campbelltown won by 2 points rather than the one point difference elsewhere! I'm smelling a fruity sour smell.... think it might be those Sour grapes???;)
Haud the bus a minute. I never said anything of the sort nor would I. It takes a special sort of logic to twist that out of the comments I made. Why would I be bothered with sour grapes. My own band competed in a different section and also got a great result. Don't really see the relevance of your remarks. :confused:

DMBabe
10.03.2008, 18:52
Sorry, should have made myself clearer... was having a chuckle at my mate's reaction, not really a go at you! And the sour grapes reference wa meant as a general comment to the need people have to overanalyse rather than let it go! :oops: :oops: ;)

But saying that winning by 2 points feels (slightly) better than just one......

McChambo
10.03.2008, 18:56
If my band played badly, as we did at Harrogate in 2005 (with Steve Sykes in the box coincidentally), then I would appreciate the adjudicators being brutally honest rather than try to be nice about it.

Yes, your band did murder Belmont Variations in Harrogate and it was a hard lesson learned (for every one of us) - but I seem to remember it was Mr. McCann who stood up at the results to give a speech (which lasted longer than the test piece itself) about how poor each band was that day. I also remember a lot of disgruntled bandsmen and women after that particular speech. Players just like you in bands just like yours who had worked their bits off to get to Harrogate and make it a worthwhile trip, just to end up being told that they were all basically a load of Jimmy White. Sorry, off topic.

The bands that won here will be able to look at their score and remarks and judge that against the points from other areas to get an idea of what they need to do to compete in Harrogate.

But each area had different judges did they not?? Unless they're all cloned at the Roslin Institute, then surely there's no benefit in looking at the points from other areas. Is there?!?

As brassneck points out I am merely saying that I think it is quite alright for an adjudicator, especially in the Nationals, to give an indication of the overall standard.

Yes, of course it's fine (and sometimes necessary) to say that the overall standard was maybe a little disappointing and I'm sure that's probably spot on, but I just think there are better ways of expressing this and writing 'constructive' criticism on the remarks sheet. Steve Sykes highlighted exactly the same problems with our performance as SPJ did (so they agreed about everything) but he just wrote in a more positive style. I just think a torrent of negative remarks is not beneficial for the players in this section who work their socks off for weeks on end. Then we're left wondering why players are dwindling away and why there aren't many bands left in the 4th section..................but that's another can of worms.

We're not all as strong as each other in terms of self-belief and self-esteem. But maybe I'm just too precious John!! And maybe you're the archetypal brass band masochist ;) You're just a rock aren't you?

Souter
10.03.2008, 18:57
Big Congrats to SBBA for a fantastically well run contest. It gets better every year.

Organisation was top notch my only grumble is with the acoustics in the hall - sitting in the audience I found it hard to hear the changes in dynamics (or that could be that I'm getting on in years!) - but that is something we will all learn from for any future contests in Glenrothes to really exaggerate the dynamics.

Well done to Campbelltown, we followed you guys onto stage and it sounded awesome from backstage.

DMBabe
10.03.2008, 19:00
One thing I'd like to throw in is, yes the hall was good facilities-wise but the acoustic was so dead that it made our bandhall seems like the Albert Hall, which is saying something bearing in mind that even after being extended it is smaller than ur average public lav block (which it often gets mistaken for!). We rehearsed in loads of different venues to get used to different acoustics but nothing prepared us for that place! No wonder some bands crumbled under the pressure on stage, after all, not every band was able to get into the hall in the weeks running up to try it out.....:confused:

Is it perchance primarily a theatrical venue???

Markbone
10.03.2008, 19:03
Congrats to Whitburn for their victory, and also to Kirki! Gutted I couldn't stay for the Sunday, but maybe next year I'll get some more of the Sunday action :p

Souter
10.03.2008, 19:12
[QUOTE=DMBabe;586969]not every band was able to get into the hall in the weeks running up to try it out.....:confused:

Personally I agree here - I don't think it is fair that in the couple of weeks before the contest the bands local to the hall are in rehearsing and gaining an unfair advantage!! But hey-ho I guess their is nowts that can be done about that.

DMBabe
10.03.2008, 19:12
But each area had different judges did they not?? Unless they're all cloned at the Roslin Institute, then surely there's no benefit in looking at the points from other areas. Is there?!?

U mean they're not cloned???? :eek:

We're not all as strong as each other in terms of self-belief and self-esteem. But maybe I'm just too precious John!! And maybe you're the archetypal brass band masochist ;) You're just a rock aren't you?

There's nothing wrong with being precious.... as long as the work gets done! You may be precious... but you're our precious (that sounded a bit "Lord of the Rings")!! and breathe.........:D

johnmartin
10.03.2008, 19:51
Is it perchance primarily a theatrical venue???No, it is primarily a live music and exhibition venue. The main theatre venue for Fife council seems to be the Adam Smith theatre in Kirkcaldy.

On the subject of acoustics. Grimethorpe played there a few years back and they had no problems with it. Yes, I know they are a top class band. I mention it merely because when they played there they didn't use a stage at all and were set up on the floor of the hall and with no drapes round about them.

I was sat up next to the adjudicators for virtually all of the contests and I must say that even though it sounded dead at stage level, everything carried up to the back of the hall. When we were playing on the stage I couldn't hear our euph player during the solo in the slow section of James Cook. I have also heard a recording of our performance and it was much the same as others have mentioned, I had difficulty hearing the low brass sounds.

With regard to rehearsing in the hall. We didn't, but fair play to those that did. I suppose the same opportunity was available to all if they wanted to book it.

johnmartin
10.03.2008, 19:54
I don't think it is fair that in the couple of weeks before the contest the bands local to the hall are in rehearsing and gaining an unfair advantage!!From what I hear there were more than a few bands from outwith Fife who availed themselves of the opportunity. In fact the only local bands I know of who rehearsed there were Kingdom and Tullis.

johnmartin
10.03.2008, 19:58
But each area had different judges did they not?? Unless they're all cloned at the Roslin Institute, then surely there's no benefit in looking at the points from other areas. Is there?!?Not on a like for like comparison, of course not. But in general terms you could use them as a gauge of the relative strength of each areas representatives.

You're just a rock aren't you?I do try Jim. :) :)

Tony Toon
10.03.2008, 20:16
Hmmm..... 1st post? dodgy result? no name......????:confused:

I wasn't at the Scottish Areas, as I was busy winning ours! but I'd be interested in an objective opinion from a real person.

Martin Britt

Don't know if I qualify as a real person but the adjudicators had a three point gap after Kirkie. That was about right IMO - the best 2 on the day - each very different but both performances a cut above the others so one of the less contentious results in my view.

Tony Swainson

Ooh Aah
10.03.2008, 22:02
I found the stage to be OK. We were warned in advance that it was dry but it wasn't that bad. Only criticism I had was that the hall seemed a bit small. Or is that more a reflection of the expected audiience!

Well done to all the winners.

redstripe
10.03.2008, 22:15
yes, of course your opinion will be noted...but its now time to ditch the old fuddyduddys who seem to be ageing faster than an opened bottle of lambrini!!........yes, with age comes experience, but..like an old piece of bread,it does become stale..say no more!!!

redstripe
10.03.2008, 22:18
unlucky yesterday...it was poor, but not the worst. you're best player was the young colonel sanders on solo trom!!......well played you....

johnmartin
10.03.2008, 23:21
Nice avatar redstripe, your intellectual equal perhaps?

If you ever get fed up of it then here's an alternative with my compliments

http://www.lochgellyband.com/images/troll.jpg

In case you don't get it, its a troll...

DMBabe
10.03.2008, 23:23
S'a cracker! Fantastic! The worrying thing is how many people willl adopt this??After all every band's got one.... saying nowt!!!
:clap: :clap: :clap:

Jan H
10.03.2008, 23:56
After all every band's got one...
Not to mention every web forum... ;)

fireborn
11.03.2008, 00:01

John, I really think you ought to apologise to the chimp for offending him in such a manner. :biggrin:

johnmartin
11.03.2008, 00:05
John, I really think you ought to apologise to the chimp for offending him in such a manner. :biggrin:Ah but you see, the chimpanzee (Simia troglodytes) although capable of higher levels of reasoning and intelligence has not been proven to show emotion. Like most animals they act on instinct. Therefore no offence could be caused so no apology necessary.

Jan H
11.03.2008, 00:10
allright people, can we return to the topic now and stop feeding the trolls please... ;)
(I'm also talking to myself now ;) )

Lauradoll
11.03.2008, 09:32
Well done to all at Whitburn- the millenium bugs have finally been blown away!! Also to Kingdom Brass on their 3rd place- woop! And finally to my wee sister and the crew at Lo'gelly!

Gutted I missed the Scottish, especially when it's so close to my parents house but school trips are much more important. Hmmmmmmmm.

Anonymous_user
11.03.2008, 19:14

If you ever get fed up of it then here's an alternative with my compliments

http://www.lochgellyband.com/images/troll.jpg

In case you don't get it, its a troll...

John, considering your own avatar you'd be the expert on trolls! :wink:

Well done to Whitburn. By far the best performance in the championship section brilliantly led by Chris Bradley and a superb reading by Russell Gray.

Ros

wewizrobbed
11.03.2008, 19:29
Well done to all at Whitburn- the millenium bugs have finally been blown away!! Also to Kingdom Brass on their 3rd place- woop! And finally to my wee sister and the crew at Lo'gelly!

Gutted I missed the Scottish, especially when it's so close to my parents house but school trips are much more important. Hmmmmmmmm.

Missed ya doll!!! Catch you at Cambridge though. Maybe I'll find my glasses this year!

Oooh and you know how I always lose my phone? I woke up on Monday with TWO!!!! hahahahahaha

x

Sandy Smith
11.03.2008, 22:18
Just been on Whitburns' website to check up on my old band and read the news that Sam Knox played with the band last weekend.I knew Alex Vidler was still going strong but hadn't realised Sam was still there to.

I might be wrong but does this mean that they have both played in winning performances in the top section of the Scottish Championships during the last FIVE decades ( 1960's - 2000's ) with the same band.

If so then that is a hell of an achievement :clap: :clap:

Well done to the band.Just don't wait as long between wins in the future !

BTW did the 150 year old horn section manage to get their zimmers into the Rothes Hall OK ? ;)

Lauradoll
12.03.2008, 09:21
Missed ya doll!!! Catch you at Cambridge though. Maybe I'll find my glasses this year!

Oooh and you know how I always lose my phone? I woke up on Monday with TWO!!!! hahahahahaha

x

TREAT!!!!
Keep one for Cambridge and one in your baritone!!!

Iain Fleming
12.03.2008, 12:09
Hi Sandy,
Was that 2nd time beginners luck at the Yorkshire? (only kidding!). I Heard the band were well worth the win!

I think Alex can claim a win in each decade from the sixties but Sam missed the nineties me thinks.

As for the zimmer frame, mine was away being customised with chrome attachments and furry dice (the zimmer!) but all was not lost as there was a ramp as well as steps onto the stage so we could pushed on - nothing has changed there then!

PS The 150 year bit of fun seems to have caused a bit mickey taking on the web site of our good friends from the west. Mmm whats that saying again? He who has Scottish Trophy in hand Laughs longest..... or something like that! However nice to see them back to a bit of form again and I wish them all the best for the European, I'm sure they will do very well.

Sandy Smith
12.03.2008, 13:09
I think Alex can claim a win in each decade from the sixties but Sam missed the nineties me thinks.

Hello Iain,

That's a fantastic record for Alex.I can't think of anyone who might come close - certainly not with the same band and in the top flight.

I nearly didn't put the zimmer bit in as I'm on slightly dodgy ground myself !

Dyke are very considerate though and have installed one of those nice Thora Hird stairlift efforts in the bandroom for messrs.Goodwin,French and myself.Not that we ever get a chance to use it with all those pesky young whippersnappers pillocking about on it.

Good to see that the band has got its trophy back !

JamesResurgam
12.03.2008, 13:52
Hello Iain,

That's a fantastic record for Alex.I can't think of anyone who might come close - certainly not with the same band and in the top flight.

I nearly didn't put the zimmer bit in as I'm on slightly dodgy ground myself !

Dyke are very considerate though and have installed one of those nice Thora Hird stairlift efforts in the bandroom for messrs.Goodwin,French and myself.Not that we ever get a chance to use it with all those pesky young whippersnappers pillocking about on it.

Good to see that the band has got its trophy back !

I was very impressed with Whitburn and Russell Grey. Chris Bradley deserved the Terris Medal, and the young soprano player has a superb future.

I hear they are bring back Last of the Summer Wine, with you playing Compo and her in doors playing Nora Batty; give her my love.

Dafydd ap Iago

Scott
12.03.2008, 14:46
Thanks for all the kind comments regarding our performance. The band is delighted to win back the trophy after such a long wait, praise must go to Russel for his hard work and laid back approach on the day, I don't think the band has ever been so relaxed on stage!

Congratulations must also go to all the other prizewinners over the weekend, especially Dalkeith and Jim Chamberlain and Campbeltown with Craig Anderson with their two section leap in two years!

Scott

P.S. Iain, you'd better hope there's a ramp onto the stage in Ostend! :)

Sandy Smith
12.03.2008, 15:09
I was very impressed with Whitburn and Russell Grey.
I hear they are bring back Last of the Summer Wine, with you playing Compo and her in doors playing Nora Batty; give her my love.

Dafydd ap Iago

I'm impressed you can still remember as far back as last weekends contest !

Funny you should mention "Summer Wine" as I now travel to band in an old cast iron bath on wheels for that authentic rustic comedy look.

Her indoors has read your post and has just set off for Stonehaven now to remonstrate with you - so barracade your doors !

I wouldn't worry too much,she'll probably end up in North Wales.It won't be the first time.( Ask her about trying to drive to St.Andrews a few years ago ! )

JamesResurgam
12.03.2008, 16:37
I'm impressed you can still remember as far back as last weekends contest !

Funny you should mention "Summer Wine" as I now travel to band in an old cast iron bath on wheels for that authentic rustic comedy look.

Her indoors has read your post and has just set off for Stonehaven now to remonstrate with you - so barracade your doors !

I wouldn't worry too much,she'll probably end up in North Wales.It won't be the first time.( Ask her about trying to drive to St.Andrews a few years ago ! )

As you know I'm suffering from short term and long term memory loss, in fact who are you.
I do remember that gentle quiet soul that is your good lady, she is indelibly printed on my mind for all the suffering she put me through whilst teaching her in the home for waifs and strays that is Huddersfield. Give her a big kiss from me, and she knows you are both welcomed anytime in Stonehaven.

Dafydd ap Iago

brassneck
13.03.2008, 00:52
Sign Of The Times? - retros now beginning to get published on 4BR and this comment from Kenny Crookston is interesting ... "it seems that the Scottish banding scene now has a number of compact and well appointed concert halls in which they can hold their well run events in the future". Big car parks and cosy halls ... how far afield will bands have to travel?

The-Wee-Timpanist
13.03.2008, 11:27
Retros are all up now from the Scottish :)

I'm happy with ours. :clap:

Sold-Out-Bari
13.03.2008, 11:31
Retros are all up now from the Scottish :)

I'm happy with ours. :clap:

Just when I thought my euphoria couldn't last too much longer, a look at our retro ensures it'll last for a while yet!!

CB
Euph, Renfrew

The-Wee-Timpanist
13.03.2008, 11:38
Just when I thought my euphoria couldn't last too much longer, a look at our retro ensures it'll last for a while yet!!

CB
Euph, Renfrew

Well, you might as well make it last that little bit longer because its fun to see people who you work with with a look of confussion on their faces. No one seems to understand the joy it brings!

Bring on Harrogate!!

bbg
13.03.2008, 20:24
Glad that you like your retro.......yet again Mr Crookston "affords" Perthshire one whole (critical) sentence, just like last year when we actually qualified for Harrogate. Every other band in all 5 sections at least got some balanced comment - the coverage of fourth section in particular was excellent - so why fob us off with "lost focus" (which phrase incidentally did not appear in either fair and encouraging adjutication). Are we really such bad folks, sir??!

Moy
13.03.2008, 20:57
Glad that you like your retro.......yet again Mr Crookston "affords" Perthshire one whole (critical) sentence, just like last year when we actually qualified for Harrogate. Every other band in all 5 sections at least got some balanced comment - the coverage of fourth section in particular was excellent - so why fob us off with "lost focus" (which phrase incidentally did not appear in either fair and encouraging adjutication). Are we really such bad folks, sir??!

Would hate to do Kenny's job.
If writing school reports is anything to go on - I find it really easy writing reports for my really good and really poor pupils it's the middle of the road ones that I find most difficult.
Might just be you were one of the not brilliant but not really really bad - take that as a compliment guys.:tup

redstripe
14.03.2008, 10:33
had to congratulate you and your bands performance at scottish....the middle band sounds in peticular were outstanding(best of the day by far!!)....its a shame your band wont be gracing the stage in london. it will be a poorer contest for it!......good luck for the future. redstripe

nathan enis
14.03.2008, 18:24
Hi Everyone!

I was at my first Regional for years at Glenrothes and I had a brilliant day. Great venue, great music and friendly people.

Well done Whitburn on a great piece of music, but I was knocked out by 'Dark Side of the Moon'. What a talent Mr. Cooper is.

Anonymous_user
14.03.2008, 18:49
had to congratulate you and your bands performance at scottish....the middle band sounds in peticular were outstanding(best of the day by far!!)....its a shame your band wont be gracing the stage in london. it will be a poorer contest for it!......good luck for the future. redstripe

Which band?

DMBabe
14.03.2008, 18:54

Which band?

Glad I'm not the only one who was thinking that......:confused:

(but looking at his previous posts am pretty sure he means CWS?)

Anonymous_user
14.03.2008, 23:53
Glad I'm not the only one who was thinking that......:confused:

(but looking at his previous posts am pretty sure he means CWS?)

Maybe it was Newtongrange - they were conducted "by far"!!

DMBabe
15.03.2008, 03:37
Maybe it was Newtongrange - they were conducted "by far"!!
And the pun of the thread award goes to.......:rolleyes:

Love it!!!!!!:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Alyn James
15.03.2008, 16:00
Sorry for an "off topic" but I can't believe the Welsh ref allowed Italy's second try - Parisse's pass was 3 metres forward!! Apologies all round!!! Gutting!....