Lofthouse 2000, Andrew Whitaker
Maltby Miners Welfare, Terry Clifford
Skelmanthorpe 'B' Band, Philip Garlick
Thurcroft Welfare, Kenneth Vernon
Tingley Brass, Geoff Fowler

Information courtesy : http://www.regional-contest.org.uk/yorkshire/

HUDDSBASSBONE
17.02.2008, 21:33
Just a thought, you've not allowed people much time to go on the predictathon for the areas - I think for the Yorkshire one its only 2 days. Any particular reason why?

Di
17.02.2008, 21:53
Just a thought, you've not allowed people much time to go on the predictathon for the areas - I think for the Yorkshire one its only 2 days. Any particular reason why?

The Yorkshire Predictions, along with the Midlands, L&SC and West of England were opened on the 9th of February. The North of England followed a couple of days later. I was hoping to have all of the regional information together and open them all together, but as you say, the Yorkshires were approaching fast, so I opened up the predictions with the information available at the time.

I will add each region as and when the information becomes available.

Belfast Barman
18.02.2008, 14:37
Did mine last night

Andy

HUDDSBASSBONE
18.02.2008, 16:26
Sorry Di. It was my computer not allowing me to make the predictions. Ooops! Done 'em now, tho!

JohnnyEuph
18.02.2008, 16:45
Thats one hell of a line up of bands in the top section!

ploughboy
18.02.2008, 23:58
Too right It's gonna be an excellent evening in Old St. George - Really looking forward to it. And lots of the sections this year look like a close fight, should be a really good weekend. . . .

towse1972
19.02.2008, 00:39
Sorry Di. It was my computer not allowing me to make the predictions. Ooops! Done 'em now, tho!
<Eating her words! eating her words!> PMSL!:clap:

Belfast Barman
19.02.2008, 16:54
Too right It's gonna be an excellent evening in Old St. George - Really looking forward to it. And lots of the sections this year look like a close fight, should be a really good weekend. . . .

Me too Garry, looking forward to meeing up with a lot of old friends as well.

Andy

Valvecap
19.02.2008, 21:27
Bring on St Georges Hall.... An never mind the top section John, Look at the line up of bands over the weekend full stop! Great to see so many going... looking forward to seeing a few tMP people there too. Second section is looking keenly contested - think there will be a few trom sections celebrating in the bar afterwards ;)

JohnnyEuph
20.02.2008, 00:23
hey dave i meant no disrespect mate i remember my roots! that reminds me i also need to get my roots done beforehand ....im also firmly looking forward to taking my ‘eminent’ alcoholism to the bar afterwards ;-)

Valvecap
20.02.2008, 21:50
hey dave i meant no disrespect mate i remember my roots! that reminds me i also need to get my roots done beforehand ....im also firmly looking forward to taking my ‘eminent’ alcoholism to the bar afterwards ;-)

Lol I kno mate... think you owe me a beer if i remember correctly ;) As for the roots... think im off skin head for this year!

stuartw
23.02.2008, 12:49
Thought the following information may be useful.

Validity of players tickets.
4th section players tickets give free entry to the 4th and 3rd sections
3rd section players tickets give free entry to the 4th and 3rd sections
2nd section players tickets give free entry to the 2nd and 1st sections
1st section players tickets give free entry to the 2nd and 1st sections
Championship section players tickets give free entry to the championship section.

In addition on the weekend of the championship you can exchange a players ticket from section 1-4 for a £2 discount on the price of entry to the championship section.

As usual players tickets have to be handed in at registration and are returned to the band when they leave the stage.

Special procedures are in place to assist players with limited mobility -
any player requiring assistance should ask their band representative to get
a special pass at the draw. They can then enter directly to the backstage
area via the stage door and a steward will assist in the completion of the
registration formalities.

If anyone is thinking of visiting Yorkshire that has not visited St. Georges Hall before then all the information to plan your journey either by public transport or using our driving route planner, are available on the yorkshire area website http://www.regional-contest.org.uk/yorkshire

Stuart.

Jack Stout
24.02.2008, 13:37
We all know the favourites but surely the interesting part of the day is the true competition down at the bottom? Who do you think will be back competing in the 1st section next year? Not looking to slate any bands, just looking for honest and reasoned comments.

Valvecap
24.02.2008, 16:25
Second section is interesting throughout - I think that most bands can either go up or get relegated - we are all on roughly the same points! How close are things in other sections?

tubafran
25.02.2008, 09:44
We all know the favourites but surely the interesting part of the day is the true competition down at the bottom? Who do you think will be back competing in the 1st section next year? Not looking to slate any bands, just looking for honest and reasoned comments.

Not just at the bottom of Championship Section - 2 bands from 2nd Section will be getting promoted also 2 bands will be promoted to Championship. So 4 new bands in the 1st Section and 4 may be leaving (up or down).

iancwilx
25.02.2008, 10:36
On a historical note, I've just come across the programme for the 1962 Yorks Area Contest.
1st Prize in the Champ Section was £50 (2nd £30, 3rd £15)
The test piece was "Salute to Youth"
No mention of the Adjudicator is made as I believe it was a well kept secret until the day of the contest

Championship section :-

DRAW BAND RESULT

4 Bradford Victoria - T.F.Atkinson
2 Brighouse and Rastrick - Trevor Walmsley.............3rd
3 Carlton Main - Jack Atherton
10 Crossleys Carpet Works - John Harrison................Winners
7 Grimethorpe Colliery - George Thompson............... 2nd
6 Hade Edge - Ken Aitken-Jones
5 Hammonds Sauce Works - Edmund Hoole
11 Lindley Band - P. Wadsworth
8 Markham Main Colliery - W.B.Hargreaves
1 Wharncliffe Silkstone Colliery - Edmund Hoole (Again !)
9 Yorkshire Imperial Metals - George Hespe

The 3rd Section was held on the same day and 20 bands competed.

I really must get out more !
- Wilkie

MarkGillatt
25.02.2008, 10:46
Huh! Don't talk to me about 2nd section. I finally get a piece of music with a mighty meaty Xylophone part and the nasty 'orrible people take it off me and say I can't play it! How do they know? Did they come into the bandroom to watch me? I was sight reading! Let us have a crack at it please, I hate this nanny state, are they going to curb my traditional drink as much as you can in the Queen's afterwards? They'd best not, or I will really throw my teddy out of the pram. Where's my medication?

Rant over, thankyou please. Have a nice day :-)

Valvecap
25.02.2008, 13:24
Huh! Don't talk to me about 2nd section. I finally get a piece of music with a mighty meaty Xylophone part and the nasty 'orrible people take it off me and say I can't play it! How do they know? Did they come into the bandroom to watch me? I was sight reading! Let us have a crack at it please, I hate this nanny state, are they going to curb my traditional drink as much as you can in the Queen's afterwards? They'd best not, or I will really throw my teddy out of the pram. Where's my medication?

Steady Mark... you did put a single wrong note in when u sight read it... perhaps they were right ;)

You know we are coming 4th again anyway! ;) :eek:

Valvecap
25.02.2008, 13:25
On a historical note, I've just come across the programme for the 1962 Yorks Area Contest.

Haha! Prize money aint changed that much then!!!! :biggrin:

ploughboy
25.02.2008, 13:54

There is a rumour that the national association of adjudicators have announced that all bandsmen will be limited to a 3 pint limit after talks with local landlords!

blasterbates
25.02.2008, 15:52
There is a rumour that the national association of adjudicators have announced that all bandsmen will be limited to a 3 pint limit after talks with local landlords!

I presume that's three pints at the same time. To be honest that's not a bad idea as I always struggle to get the third and fourth pints to balance in my jacket pockets at the same time whilst holding the first two in each hand (bottles are more practical).

:guiness :guiness :guiness

I have a bad haircut
25.02.2008, 19:03
anyone else booked monday off work then :P

ploughboy
25.02.2008, 22:44
Nope it's nice to be on Saturday afternoon, Don't have to even be in Bradford until 12.30 - and do'nt have to take time off Monday, i'll just sit through the second section with a hangover!!

agentorange
26.02.2008, 04:08

I have, and i'm not even playing this weekend! Best wishes to all at stocksbridge, I'll see you in the bar afterwards !!
:guiness

sunny_jimbob
26.02.2008, 09:00
I have, and i'm not even playing this weekend! Best wishes to all at stocksbridge, I'll see you in the bar afterwards !!
Thanks Neil, looking forward to it. See you at the pub!

I don't know Jack, but 4barsrest seem to think we at Stocksbridge might as well not bother even turning up :roll:
Still, they pretty much said that last year didn't they ;)

blasterbates
26.02.2008, 16:36

Oh Yes !!!

madandcrazytromboneguy
26.02.2008, 19:20
3rd section should be a good battle. no band really sticks out for either going up, staying put, or going down, so if every band plays to their maximum ability you just never know where each band will be placed

i think its an interesting pair in the box aswell. 1 of the best euph players in the modern era who has conducted at the top level for a long time now, and 1 of the slightly younger generation who has had a crack at just about everything. it would have been nice for them to say a breif statement into what they would be looking for to have been placed on 4barsrest for us all to see perhaps, then bands would have a slight idea on certain aspects of the piece. im at least hoping for a decent couple of comments from the 2 of them after we've all played just before the results, and that the written comments will be both constructive and helpful for future performances

im also looking forward to hearing the 1st section piece, i'll be hoping to hear my hometown band hebden bridge, hopefully they will play their best and get a good result

i reckon skelmanthorpe could do the double this year. both are excellently placed within the 4th and 1st sections, and both have strong lineups for the sections they are in, plus i wish skel B the best of luck as ive worked briefly with them in the past

i enjoyed a 1 year spell with lindley aswell and they could also do very well this year after getting 4th last year. hopefully hebden bridge and lindley can qualify for the final

most of all i wish huddersfield and ripponden band the very best of luck! (i wonder why? ;) )

Roger Thorne
26.02.2008, 20:19
Can anyone tell me what time Bradford kicks off on the Saturday? Also, can anyone recommend a good hotel in the area?

Thanks

;)

brassneck
26.02.2008, 20:48
Can anyone tell me what time Bradford kicks off on the Saturday? Also, can anyone recommend a good hotel in the area?

Thanks

;)

Test Piece: Four Cities Symphony – Rodney Newton
Commences: 10.30am
Draw: 9.30am

http://www.4barsrest.com/articles/2008/art807.asp

(and Google search for hotels here (http://www.booking.com/city/gb/bradford.html?aid=303948;label=bradford-v1cNkAiuvOeucfK_dF0xbgS737631861;ws=&gclid=COmDl9jc4pECFRBPMAodbXyaWw))

impycornet
26.02.2008, 23:24

Thanks

;)

There's the Hilton opposite or a Holiday Inn Express just up t'hill

Cheers

ploughboy
26.02.2008, 23:26
Some of the more alcoholic of us are staying the Holiday Inn, i htink we've only paid 42 quid for the night per room and that's breakfast too. 3 mins walk to the hall . ..

stuartw
26.02.2008, 23:32

Thanks

;)

All the details at http://www.regional-contest.org.uk/yorkshire
In the 'for Visitors' section you will find all you need to plan your weekend, transport links as well as hotel suggestions and places to eat out on Saturday night. The programme lists the start times of each of the contests. For hotels the Hilton and the Great Victoria are very close. There is also information on other attractions in the area. Hope that you can come along it should be a great weekend

Stuart

Roger Thorne
27.02.2008, 06:40
Thanks for the feedback :tup See you on Saturday.

;)

winterman
27.02.2008, 11:53
For anyone else seeking hotels for the Bradford weekend check out ActiveHotels.com they have up to date availability checking as well..

http://tinyurl.com/3apy8o (links to Bradford Hotels, March 1st 2008 ordered by distance)

Here's to a fantastic weekend (I hope to get down for a bit on Saturday too after our rehearsal), feels weird having 1st Section on the Sunday.

MoominDave
27.02.2008, 11:56
The test piece was "Salute to Youth"
No mention of the Adjudicator is made as I believe it was a well kept secret until the day of the contest

Championship section :-

DRAW BAND RESULT

4 Bradford Victoria - T.F.Atkinson
2 Brighouse and Rastrick - Trevor Walmsley.............3rd
3 Carlton Main - Jack Atherton
10 Crossleys Carpet Works - John Harrison................Winners
7 Grimethorpe Colliery - George Thompson............... 2nd
6 Hade Edge - Ken Aitken-Jones
5 Hammonds Sauce Works - Edmund Hoole
11 Lindley Band - P. Wadsworth
8 Markham Main Colliery - W.B.Hargreaves
1 Wharncliffe Silkstone Colliery - Edmund Hoole (Again !)
9 Yorkshire Imperial Metals - George Hespe

The 3rd Section was held on the same day and 20 bands competed.

I really must get out more !
- Wilkie

No Dyke?

iancwilx
27.02.2008, 12:30
No Dyke?

No, no mention of Dyke.
Perhaps they won the previous Nationals and, as per the rules in those days, had an Area "Bye"
I have the official programme in front of me as I type.
I also attended the contest and heard every top section band - well, I was well under age for drinking !!
- Wilkie

JR
27.02.2008, 12:46
No, no mention of Dyke.
Perhaps they won the previous Nationals and, as per the rules in those days, had an Area "Bye"

- Wilkie

That's right - apart from 1969 I don't recall Dyke competing at the area in the mid-late 60s. Because of the "World Championship" super league experiment from 1970-71 and the "bye" system, I'm pretty sure they didnt attend again until 1981 when the test piece was Shining River - they came 2nd behind John Pryce Jones and Imps - they got 198 points!
And I'm pretty sure their next appearance was in 1985, winning on Contest Music under the Major.

John R

iancwilx
27.02.2008, 12:47
The 1962 Yorkshire Area Programme cost 1/- (One Shilling)
That's 5p in todays money
Bear in mind that the average take home wage at the time was about £15 per week, and a pint of beer was about 1/6d (7.1/2p).
OK, time for a quantum leap back to the present !
- Wilkie

iancwilx
27.02.2008, 12:57
JR might be interested to know that Rothwell Temps were 3rd in the 3rd Section - MD (Who else) Gordon Roberts.

1st Brodsworth - D V Hendy
2nd Leeds Model - Peter Kitson
3rd Temps - Gordon Roberts
4th Hebden Bridge - E D West

- Wilkie

JR
27.02.2008, 14:16
JR might be interested to know that Rothwell Temps were 3rd in the 3rd Section - MD (Who else) Gordon Roberts.

1st Brodsworth - D V Hendy
2nd Leeds Model - Peter Kitson
3rd Temps - Gordon Roberts
4th Hebden Bridge - E D West

- Wilkie

great stuff - i'll remind Dad tonight - unfortunately he won't be there at the area this year as my Mother isn't very well (they're both 76) - it's also exactly 40 years since he won the old 4th section with Temps at Leeds Town Hall in May '68.

JR

iancwilx
27.02.2008, 14:26
great stuff - i'll remind Dad tonight - unfortunately he won't be there at the area this year as my Mother isn't very well (they're both 76) - it's also exactly 40 years since he won the old 4th section with Temps at Leeds Town Hall in May '68.

JR

I hope it brings back happy memories to Gordon.
I well remember his very individual conducting style.

The piece was a dire offering from Adam Carse called "Three Characteristic Pieces"

When compared to modern 3rd Section Test Pieces it makes you realise just how far bands have come in the past 47 years.
- Wilkie

JR
27.02.2008, 14:49
I hope it brings back happy memories to Gordon.
I well remember his very individual conducting style.

The piece was a dire offering from Adam Carse called "Three Characteristic Pieces"

When compared to modern 3rd Section Test Pieces it makes you realise just how far bands have come in the past 47 years.
- Wilkie

Thanks Ian - nice of you to say so

I agree with you for the most part about the 3rd section, though my first contest in 1969 was on Leighton Lucas's Chorale and Variations - a better piece than most recent 3rd grade stuff.

Not so sure about the 4th - in my opinion the test 40 years ago, a piece in 3 movts by Frank Wright called Threshold - was better than this year's offering. The main difference of course is the use of percussion.

Philip Sparke's Malvern Suite remains, for me, the best of the lot.

John R

sparkling_quavers
27.02.2008, 20:43
What sort of time will the 3rd section start on Saturday?

Roger Thorne
27.02.2008, 20:46
Draw: 12.30am
Commences: 2.00pm

:tup

PeterBale
27.02.2008, 23:46
Draw: 12.30am
Commences: 2.00pm

:tup

A bit much expecting the Adjudicator to be locked away for 13 1/2 hours :eek: ;) :oops:

leisa
28.02.2008, 09:02
What sort of time will the 3rd section start on Saturday?

ooo are you going on saturday? We are going to watch Barnsley Met in 4th section so will see you there!! :biggrin:

ericthered
28.02.2008, 15:06
What are peoples tthoughts on the top section? Who do you think is in with a shout?

For me the Dark Horse (a la 4BR) has got to be Carlton Main. You never know with them and on their day they can be impressive.

Fazed Song
28.02.2008, 15:12
Well i may be very wrong here but I really think the piece will suit bands such as YBS, carlton main and (I hate to say this) Dyke. I really don't think Brighouse or even Grimey (every ones FAVORITE band at the moment) naturally have the sound to pip the likes of Dyke. True Grimey's sound is massive but not sure it'll suite the piece.
However, their general standard of band playing should see them through... Im going for (and this prediction pains me...)

Dyke
Grimey
YBS
Carlton Main

Sorry guys... I do hope its very wrong and its nothing like that but thats what i'm thinking. Not sure Brighouse are in with a shout this year.. saying that I didn't think they were last year.

pdj
28.02.2008, 15:49
The big bands should on paper claim the top positions in the championship section but as what happened last year that wasnt the case!!! Dont discount the minnows in this section, there is always a chance of an upset!

ploughboy
28.02.2008, 17:46
I'm going for Brighouse to retain the title, I think the piece will suit the team and MD!

leisa
28.02.2008, 17:54
I'm going for Brighouse to retain the title, I think the piece will suit the team and MD!

Ditto!! Go Brighouse!!!! :cool:

richardcowens2008
28.02.2008, 18:39
Dyke to win!! also think hepworth will do well this year!! Hebden to qualifie in 1st section this year!!!!

leisa
29.02.2008, 00:35
i think skelmanthorpe will win 1st sec, i think they deserve to. dunno bout the rest

Liz Courts
29.02.2008, 13:06
I'm looking forward to attending my first ever Yorkshire Regionals this weekend! If you recognise me come and say hi! But don't make fun of the way I talk! :tongue:

Better say good luck to Emley while I'm here! :biggrin:

joker66
29.02.2008, 16:26
I'm looking forward to attending my first ever Yorkshire Regionals this weekend! If you recognise me come and say hi! But don't make fun of the way I talk! :tongue:

Don't worry - there are some fellow Cornish folk competing in Yorkshire so they are used to the accent!! Having said that as a Yorkshire lass (married to a Cornishman) that moved to Cornwall for a while - it was my accent and language that the Cornish folk could not understand, especially when I asked "who's going to mash!"

Hope you enjoy the weekend

hvb_shizzle
29.02.2008, 18:48
good luck to oughtibridge mainly because my best mate is helping them out while she's at uni over in sheffield. hope it will be a good weekend.

Ali
29.02.2008, 22:25
Just wanted to wish all my mates who are playing this weekend the very best of luck. I'm sorry I wont be there to cheer you all on this year.

JohnnyEuph
01.03.2008, 01:05
hope everybody has been toning them [drinking] muscles fot'weekend!

Matt Lawson
01.03.2008, 09:55
The 3rd Section is incredibly tight this year.

It could go any way - depending on who nails it on the day.

I'm sat here in my full walking-out uniform ready to go - nothing like the excitement of the Area Contest. Can't believe it's here again already!

Good luck to one and all today, but not so much to the other 9 bands in the 3rd section ;)

ploughboy
01.03.2008, 10:20
Well done Matt - I'm sat here in my dressing gown!! Looking forward to a cracking weekend. good luck to everyone playing, even our opposition, after all it's only a contest!! Come say hello in the bar!

tuba1974
01.03.2008, 11:37
come on hebden bridge you can do it.

HUDDSBASSBONE
01.03.2008, 13:25
Any results yet?

YorkshireBloke
01.03.2008, 13:53
Section 4

1. Lofthouse 2000, A. Whitaker, 2, 176
2. Skelmanthorpe ‘B’, P. Garlick, 5, 175
3. Maltby Miners Welfare, T. Clifford, 10, 174
4. Armthorpe Elmfield, H. Griffiths MBE, 1, 173
5. Barnsley Metropolitan, J. Grinnell, 6, 172
6. Thurcroft Welfare, K. Vernon, 3, 170
7. Friendly (Sowerby Bridge), C. Caton, 4, 168
8. Tingley, G. Fowler, 9, 167
9. Linthwaite, D. Smith, 7, 166
10. Deepcar, G. Somerset, 8, 165

Top 2 bands qualify

Best soloist: Cornet, Lofthouse 2000

Adjudicators: Philip Harper & Rodney Newton

Thanks to 4barsrest

YorkshireBloke
01.03.2008, 13:54
Well done to our B band again!

Paul

CubbRep
01.03.2008, 14:13
Well done Maltby and my mate Rob.

hvb_shizzle
01.03.2008, 14:20
any predictions for the second section tommorow? hope horbury will be up there but it all depends on how we play on the day.

Valvecap
01.03.2008, 14:47
any predictions for the second section tommorow? hope horbury will be up there but it all depends on how we play on the day.

Thinks its gonna depend on who sticks it on on the day - There are a lot of pitfalls for the band, even if most of the individual parts are straight forward. Think i might actually go and listen to a few other bands (something i usually avoid on contest day) to see how they approached it.

Best o luck to Horbury anyway - mate o mine used to play for you (steve gibson) always spoke highly of the band. see u in the bar!

Owen
01.03.2008, 15:45
Massive congratulations to Shat B band - thoroughly deserved qualification place for Harrogate and looks like promotion to 3rd section too!

Pythagoras
01.03.2008, 15:47
Well done Maltby and my mate Rob.

What he said.

leisa
01.03.2008, 15:54
Just got back from listening to some of 4th section we had Skelmanthorpe B and Barnsley Met as top 2 but both did well anyway and well done to lofthouse too :)

Pythagoras
01.03.2008, 16:07
From looking on the yorkshire regionals website (which is excellent), Skelmanthorpe B have 11 points, then Lofthouse and Barnsley Met tied on 13. What happens, do both of those go up, or does today's result take precedance so Lofthouse go up with Skelmanthorpe, or so just Skelmanthorpe go up as its quite a small section?

Owen
01.03.2008, 16:14
Usually, they would promote all three bands in this circumstance - it happened in the 1st section a few years back, I am sure, with 3 band being promoted to the top section

alibaba
01.03.2008, 17:02
Anybody know what time Queens pub opens on Sunday?

tuba1974
01.03.2008, 17:13
come on then, lets have some predictions for the ist section,

IST SKELE
2ND HEBDEN
3RD LINDLEY
4TH COOP

BASEMANIAN
01.03.2008, 17:27
does anyone know what day the 4th section is on at harrogate

dyl
01.03.2008, 17:29

IST SKELE
2ND HEBDEN
3RD LINDLEY
4TH COOP

There are plenty in the 'tMP Predictions' contest - link at the top of each page.

tuba1974
01.03.2008, 17:32
Thanks Will Do;)

Frontman
01.03.2008, 17:46
Congrats to Keith and Rockingham. Good to see you on the podium again.
Also well done to my old mate Phil and all at Elland.

Harry_GH
01.03.2008, 18:21
Hello, we have tickets for Sunday evening to support Marsden. With this being our first visit to St George's Hall, please could anyone offer advice on what tine to be there for the 5:30 start - we have 4 tickets in the dress circle, will it be easy to find four seats together for my elderly parents - should we take sarnies? Bit late in the day, but any advice would be welcome please. Thank you.
Harry

Simon Preshom
01.03.2008, 18:34
You should not have any problems finding seats but leave sufficient time to get through the entrance and up the stairs. It can get very busy indeed.

As for sandwiches....starts at 5.30pm...I guess it will be approx 10pm before results so might be wise if you have an appetite!

ian perks
01.03.2008, 18:49
any 1st section results yet as sexy cornet and me are waiting to go out but want to see results first.

Pav
01.03.2008, 18:52
any 1st section results yet as sexy cornet and me are waiting to go out but want to see results first.

Long wait ahead. Isn't it tomorrow?

brassneck
01.03.2008, 18:52

Ian, I hope you're patient because the 1st Section starts tomorrow ;)

DiG that cornet
01.03.2008, 18:56
Blimey, hope it's tomorrow or we've missed it!!:sup

HUDDSBASSBONE
01.03.2008, 18:58
Well Done to Shat B - hope the Shat A do well tomorrow. Got my fingers and toes crossed for you!!!

madandcrazytromboneguy
01.03.2008, 19:06
Section 3

Saturday 1st March
Adjudicators: Dr. Robert Childs & Philip Harper
Test Piece: The Dark Side of the Moon – Paul Lovatt-Cooper
Commences: 1400

1. Rockingham, K. Wardle, 10, 188
2. Garforth, S. Bailey, 3, 185
3. Elland Silver, P. Shaw, 2, 184
4. Emley, G. Hallas, 1, 183
5. Gawthorpe Brass, S. Bradnum, 5, 180
6. Gawthorpe Brass ‘85, J. Edward, 8, 179
7. West Yorkshire Police, Capt. Gary Clegg, 9, 178
8. Oughtibridge, R. Spencer, 6, 177
9. Crofton Silver, M. Simpson MBE, 4, 176
10. Huddersfield and Ripponden, S. Platten, 7, 175

Top 2 bands qualify

Best soloist: Cornet, Elland Silver

madandcrazytromboneguy
01.03.2008, 19:27
Im absolutely gutted for us coming last!

i know someones got to come last but the way things went i thought that the 4 bands i heard all had noticable faults, and ours aswell, i wont mention names but there were 2 bands in the top 6 who i didnt think deserved to be there. if anyone heard hudds bands performance please post a msg about it on here as i would like to know what you thought of it

before anyone says it, i know that all our opinions count for nowt and that the only 2 that count are bob childs and phil harper

heres an interesting situation though, who goes down?

hudds coming last would suggest us coz we'd be on 19 after last yrs 9th and this yrs 10th, but 2 bands failed to even turn up this year, so surely it should be those 2 who go down, but the maths suggest that only 1 of those 2 would go down, that band being stanley n.m., with either 24 or 23 points, but dinnington would only have 17 or 18, and would therefore have 1 point less than hudds, meaning it would be hudds and stanley n.m. going down, with dinnington staying up

now if the stuff ive heard from the 4th section is true, then it could be 3 coming up from the 4th, and that hudds and the 2 bands who didnt turn up would go down, so a straight swap, 3 bands for another 3 bands.

if anyone can shed some light on how it will work then post it on here please

hope everyone enjoyed it today. i loved playing on that stage again, its my fav. contest and despite the shocking and terrible result, i still wish i could play in st.georges hall more than once a year!

on the plus side im absolutely delighted for both skel B and lofthouse, ive had the pleasure of conducting 1 and depping for both on a job each on trombone aswell, and going off previous results at the area, those 2 bands deserve to go up, skel B have improved immensely in the last 2-3 years and lofthouse apart from last yr have been in the top 6 ever since they started contesting at bradford, so a big well done to both of you!

Pav
01.03.2008, 19:43
The 2 that didn't play will get 11 points (last on the day +1) so I would think it would be:

Dinnington 22pts
Hudds & Ripponden 26pts
Stanley Newmarket 28pts

So whether it's 2 or 3 down (would have thought 2), it's not looking good unless I've got my sums wrong.

Di
01.03.2008, 20:04
I have added the results to the tMP predictions/results page, and you can see how you scored for each section. We are however, having difficulties in updating the "year rankings" following the addition of todays points. Please bear with us. Normal service will be resumed as soon as possible. ;) Thanks.

ian perks
01.03.2008, 20:12
Ian, I hope you're patient because the 1st Section starts tomorrow ;)
:confused: :-?
I thought it was saturday.
Never mind we can go out now:biggrin:

huggie
01.03.2008, 20:28
Steady Mark... you did put a single wrong note in when u sight read it... perhaps they were right ;)

You know we are coming 4th again anyway! ;) :eek:

OI, BEHAVE ! 4th, aint good enough. Not after all the work I have put in. :eek:

madandcrazytromboneguy
01.03.2008, 20:55
hey pav

i thought that the result from 3 yrs ago gets knocked off so each score is based on 2 resuts, ie this yr and last yr

so if that was the case and you end up being right about dinnington and stanley n.m.getting 11points each then it would look like this (2008 + 2007)

dinnington = 11 + 6 = 17
hudds n rip = 10 + 9 = 19
stanley n.m. = 11 + 12 = 23

think the maths say we've had it, but i do wonder if there should be a rule saying if you dont turn up you go down, it seems a bit unfair on the bands who do turn up and put the effort in on the day that 1 of them goes down but 1 who didnt turn up stays put, spose its just another of bandings little confusions

horbury didnt turn up and got dropped, but have come back after rebuilding and are doing well again, so i dont think it would be a bad rule, whether it would get put in place or not i have my doubts

Valvecap
01.03.2008, 20:58
OI, BEHAVE ! 4th, aint good enough. Not after all the work I have put in. :eek:

Lol I was predicting the form not the intended result! ;)

And me? Behave? er.....:biggrin:

vickyrowlands
01.03.2008, 21:19
I'm a bit disappointed with todays result to be honest, i think we played better than 9th

just want to say good luck to Wakefield Met as i know a few of the players and have helped the band out at christmas and also to Horbury Victoria, my music teacher from high school plays with them and i'm helping out the youth band at nationals. good luck!!!

steve butler
01.03.2008, 21:32
Well done Oddbod, straight "back" into winning ways! Well done Keith

BoozyBTrom
01.03.2008, 21:49
Well done to Lofthouse and especially my mate Andy W.

Good lUck to my old lot at Frickley Sth Elmsall tomorrow somewhere above 4th would be good guys!! No doubt see you there.

Owen
01.03.2008, 22:05
Placings are done over three years (they print them all in the prog so that you can add in the placings and do your maths there and then). Irrespective, the three bands you have listed, Dinninton, Huddersfield & Ripponden and Stanley Newmarket are still the three bands with the highest collective points, so it looks as though H&R and Stanley will be the bands being relegated.

By my reckoning, Rockingham and Elland are promoted, on 10 & 11 respectively.

oddbod
02.03.2008, 01:13
Congrats to Keith and Rockingham. Good to see you on the podium again.

Well done Oddbod, straight "back" into winning ways! Well done Keith

Thanks chaps - but it wasn't me. I wrote to 4BR last week and told them but it wasn't printed. I'm still laid up.

Well done to Frank Hoyland and Rockingham - great stuff

Gig
02.03.2008, 02:55
What was so good that gave them a three point advantage?

MarkGillatt
02.03.2008, 05:53
:eek: OMG! What time am I up? :eek:

Nearly had to postpone the whole contest, I couldn't find my lucky pants, but don't worry everyone. The leapord skin thong is on, and all systems are go for another mighty Frickley performance.

COME ON FRICKERS!!!!! :clap: :clap:

That should be another 4th place in the bag then :rolleyes:

2nd man down
02.03.2008, 07:13
Really pleased with our 4th place yesterday, we all came off stage happy with our collective performance so we can't ask for any more than that. Was a good contest I thought.

I can't comment on bands who played 2nd through to 5th because I didn't hear them, however I did hear from Oughtibridge (6th on stage) onwards (albeit I heard Oughtibridge from outside the hall door while talking to some Gawthorpe players), and from the bands I heard I'm afraid to say Clive I had H&R last out of those. To me, and it's just my opinion, I felt it was too rushed, there was not enough dynamic light and shade, and far too many missed and split notes. The worst problem though was the tuning, there were times when it was just way off (please don't think I'm having a go, I'm not, I'm simply offering what I thought of what I heard, I don't imagine for a minute that our own performance wasn't without its errors and tuning difficulties).
Rockingham certainly sounded a good band, well done to my mates Kieron (sop) and Sam (flugel) on thier fine result. Rockingham also had a few errors around the place, but I think what the men in the box saw in them was a better tuned performance than the rest, yes there were errors, yes there were the usual tricky quiet spells, but generally they sounded very tuneful and I think that's what won it for them.

Good scrap tho, I thoroughly enjoyed the day. Well done to all who competed, see you all (well, most of you) next year.

Congrats to all the qualifying and promoted bands. :clap:

p.s., did anyone hear us at all? We played No.1. I'm interested to hear anyone's constructive criticism.

Oh, and yes, that was me on stage at the results making a berk of myself going up to collect a prize for 4th place and sitting down again with jack all...I could have sworn she'd said we were third!! How to make a complete plonker of yourself in from of a hall full of bandsmen. :oops: :oops:
DOH!!!

Brian Kelly
02.03.2008, 09:45
Congratulations to Rockingham! Worthy winners of the 3rd section.

Commiserations to West Yorkshire Police. Not the loudest band of the day, but a good sound. I thought that you gave a controlled performance, with lots of detail brought out which I didn't hear in many other bands.

Jan H
02.03.2008, 09:47
lol @ 2md :D
congratulations with your 4th place!

Brian Kelly
02.03.2008, 09:52
2nd man down, congratulations to Emley on coming 4th, especially on a number 1 draw.

I thought that your performance improved as it went along, which I think was true for most of the bands. It was the very start of the piece which was the "danger" point, for most bands, with regards to tuning, starting together, volume, confidence. It may look easy on paper, but in reality, far from it!

ian perks
02.03.2008, 09:55
Come on Strata Brass for 2nd section today;)

derekdawson
02.03.2008, 10:03
Thanks chaps - but it wasn't me. I wrote to 4BR last week and told them but it wasn't printed. I'm still laid up.

Well done to Frank Hoyland and Rockingham - great stuff
Laid up Keith? wot yer been doing? DEREK ps or shouldn't I ask?

gawber
02.03.2008, 10:21
Section 2 DRAW

Sunday 2nd March
Adjudicators: Barry Thompson & Alan Hope
Test Piece: Three Part Invention – Kenneth Downie
Commences: 0930

Chapeltown Silver, T. Bannan, 5
Clifton and Lightcliffe, J. Clay, 4
Dodworth Colliery M.W., E. Darwin,11
Frickley / South Elmsall, D. Nichols, 2
Holme Silver (Disposables UK Group), D. Beckley, 9
Horbury Victoria, R. Waker, 6
Kippax, R. D. Gray, 1
Slaithwaite, B. Hudson, 7
Strata, D. Hirst, 3
Wetherby and District Silver, R. Roe, 10
YBS Concert Brass, I. Craddock, 8

Courtesy 4 bars rest

2nd man down
02.03.2008, 10:31
2nd man down, congratulations to Emley on coming 4th, especially on a number 1 draw.

I thought that your performance improved as it went along, which I think was true for most of the bands. It was the very start of the piece which was the "danger" point, for most bands, with regards to tuning, starting together, volume, confidence. It may look easy on paper, but in reality, far from it!

Thank you for that Brian, it's always good to get someone from outside the band give an opinion. We worked so hard on our opening it's a little dissapointing for it to be contributing to what appeared to let us down, but we're still really pleased with our placing. :tup

winterman
02.03.2008, 11:03
Right, I'm about to amble round the corner to our bandroom and start the fun of Areas day..

Just a quick note to wish everyone all the best today, it looks like it's gonna be a stonker (despite the gaelforce winds which kept me up most of the night!).

Let the fun begin! :D

Roger Thorne
02.03.2008, 11:04
p.s., did anyone hear us at all? We played No.1. I'm interested to hear anyone's constructive criticism.

From the dreaded number one spot I think you played a very good band. You (as all the bands) suffered with tuning and intonation problems but overall it created a good atmoshperic reading. (well done Mr. Hallas) I think the nerves from your trombone player may have lost you a placing though! Top marks for the cornet solo Crawfy, very well executed.

One interesting point regarding interpretations was the difference in the two Presto's. Quite a few of the bands decided to take the latter one at a faster pace, which in my opinion wasn't consistant with the overall performance. Also the 'set' tempos, did seem to vary considerably from band to band. Considering the composers notes in the score I was then surprised with the overall ajudicators result. I felt sorry for the bands that adheared to this, but on this occassion it obviously didn't really matter. Pity you didn't have that knowledge before the contest eh!!!

Overall though, an enjoyable section with some very good performances.

Well done to all the bands.

:clap:

oddbod
02.03.2008, 11:25
Laid up Keith? wot yer been doing? DEREK ps or shouldn't I ask?

Hello Derek - very bad back! - are you playing today?

2nd man down
02.03.2008, 11:30
Thanks Rog, I was really pleased with the way I handled my solo (the usual dry mouth and leather lips left me alone for once!!) :D .

I came off stage buzzing because as I'd been playing the solo part I looked up at PLC on the balcony and saw him smiling and nodding, so was proud as punch...imaging how much more of a berk I felt when I later realised the bloke I'd been looking at wasn't even him!! PLC was sitting two or three seats to the left and a row behind!!! Double DOH!!!!! :rolleyes: :mad:

Ah well, the bloke I looked at seemed to enjoy it! :biggrin:

2nd man down
02.03.2008, 12:31
1st Section Draw, courtesy of 4barsrest

Sunday 2nd March
Adjudicators: James Scott & Dr. Robert Childs
Test Piece: James Cook - Circumnavigator – Gilbert Vinter
Commences: 1315

Barnsley Building Society, W. Rushworth, 10
Drighlington, K. Belcher, 6
Grange Moor, K. Wadsworth, 14
Hade Edge, S. Wood, 8
Hebden Bridge, D. Hadfield, 5
Knottingley Silver, O. Wedgewood, 2
Lindley, N. Jowett, 4
Meltham and Meltham Mills, S. Fawcett, 1
Old Silkstone, A. Exley, 12
Skelmanthorpe, J. Roberts, 11
South Yorkshire Police, I. Scott, 3
Stannington, D. Renshaw, 9
Wakefield Metropolitan, N. Law, 13
Yorkshire Co-op, M. Fowles, 7

Hells Bones
02.03.2008, 13:22
Just been told that Slaihtwaite won the 2nd Section!

gawber
02.03.2008, 13:30
Section 2 RESULTS

Sunday 2nd March
Adjudicators: Barry Thompson & Alan Hope
Test Piece: Three Part Invention – Kenneth Downie
Commences: 0930

1. Slaithwaite, B. Hudson, 7, 187
2. YBS Concert Brass, I. Craddock, 8, 186
3. Holme Silver (Disposables UK Group), D. Beckley, 9, 185
4. Strata, D. Hirst, 3, 184
5. Frickley / South Elmsall, D. Nichols, 2, 183
6. Kippax, R. D. Gray, 1, 182
7. Dodworth Colliery M.W., E. Darwin, 11, 181
8. Wetherby and District Silver, R. Roe, 10, 180
9. Horbury Victoria, R. Waker, 6, 178
10. Chapeltown Silver, T. Bannan, 5, 177
11. Clifton and Lightcliffe, J. Clay, 4, 176

Top 2 bands qualify
Best soloist: Euph, YBS Concert

courtesy 4 bars rest

7thPosition
02.03.2008, 14:02
Just been told that Slaihtwaite won the 2nd Section!
Too right Tone. Well done to Barry H and Slaithwaite Band. Special mention to Fiona in the percussion who I believe was on top form!

Pav
02.03.2008, 14:19
Nice to see Meltham have reverted to their traditional early draw. Is that something silly like 7 number 1 draws in 8 years?

ploughboy
02.03.2008, 16:38
Afternoon all - just returned home from half a weekend in Bradford. Still haven't quite decided if i'm going back tonight for the "big boys".

Didn't hear any bands, as I was busy celebating Kellys 21st! I'm sure there were some good performances. I was very happy with the show we put on, Much better control of our usual bad nerves led to some nice quiet playing and some generally better tuning. We did have the odd slip and problem here and there, it aint an easy piece on any stage!

intresting to note the lack of socialising in the St. George's bar (Carslberg 3.05 may have had an influence) But after the results there were only oursleves and Elland in there having a beer. And hardly saw any bandsmen out around town in the evening!

Watched 2nd half of 2nd section today - well done to Slaithwaite, excellent straight forward performance and deserving of top spot. I thought Holme Silver were superb with lots of clarity and detail, tough to only be 3rd. Interesting comments from the stage from Alan Hope - He apologiesed to all the bands or the shody printing work on the piece and said the Selection Panel will look at trying to encourage better work in the future! Also they went for a performance that did what it said on the tin, and anyone who pulled or pushed around the middle movemet was penalised, Which went against the advice given at the Adjudicators Forum in December, Where Roy Newsome pulled the slow movement around and Said he hoped Adjudicators would look favourably on musicality!!

Clive - don't take it too hard, the Adj's said the top 4 bands were clearly above the rest on the day! Without meaning to be harsh, H&R have been at the bottom of the tables for a year or three, maybe dropping into the 4th section will help the band compete for some prizes and gain some confidence! When I first started at Emley they'd just come last the the 3rd seciton area's, the year after we came in 8th, still took the drop in good spirits and kept all the team together, gathered ourselves together and fought our way back up, learning together and building a stronger team. Keep smiling pal and you'll get back to winning ways soon!

Well Done to Lofthouse, Slaithwaite, Rockingham (so far!).

MarkGillatt
02.03.2008, 16:57
OK,
Lucky pants aside, :clap: Well done Slaithwaite,:clap:
I never listen to another band, but someone said, "listen to them"
so, I didn't.
I am not bitter because we came 5th, honest, 5th is great, the only place the boss has come is 4th.:rolleyes:
5th is :clap: , OK Lets face it, I'm not happy, but. Banding is banding and to everyone going at it tonight, Good luck and, more importantly

H A V E F U N ! ! !

derekdawson
02.03.2008, 16:59
Hello Derek - very bad back! - are you playing today? sadly no mate but that's another story

sparkling_quavers
02.03.2008, 17:19
Well done to the bands in the 3rd section yesterday. I heard bands drawn 3-10. I thought Rockingham were worthy winners and, in honesty I thought they were much better than the majority of the bands on the day. I thought the police band had a nice performance too - quite controlled and the soloists did well. In my opinion, they jsut lacked the range of dynamics that Rockingham had and therefore didn't have as much of an atmostphere created. I thought one band played poorly - very overblown to the stage were intonation suffered and really ruined the performance. The rest of the bands I thought were a a similar standard; all with good and bad points.

Valvecap
02.03.2008, 17:29
Just home... could have been better on the day... listening back to the recording and comparing it to the remarks, they seem to tally very well. Good "contest" actually - some very "alike" sounding bands - dont think anyone got through it unscathed... unfortunately we were undone in the first 10 bars or so - after that, seemed pretty solid! Ah well... you live and learn. Most folk I spoke to might have changed the bands by a single place in either direction but sounds like the adjudicators got the result about right.

Interesting remarks from Alan Hope about printing quality - after telling us for weeks that there is nothing wrong with the parts.... erm?

Cracking stage to play and conduct on at St Georges! Good to see one or two tMP people there today! Well done Slaithwaite!

Bass Trumpet
02.03.2008, 17:34
Just seen the top section draw. I wonder how much money Dyke's representative slipped the organisers to rig it! B&R off number one and Dyke last on? Looks fishy to me......;)

Tongue placed firmly in cheek, before someone jumps on me.

ploughboy
02.03.2008, 17:35
Frist section just in

6. Hebden Bridge
5. Yorkshire Co-op
4. Old Silkstone
3. Wakefield Met
2. Stannington
1. Skelmanthorpe

2nd man down
02.03.2008, 17:35
Just seen the top section draw. I wonder how much money Dyke's representative slipped the organisers to rig it! B&R off number one and Dyke last on? Looks fishy to me......;)

Ooh, lucky...was just about to jump! :rolleyes:

ploughboy
02.03.2008, 17:36
Well Done to JR - guess the sand spread around the stands and the sounds of the sea helped nail it on the day!!

brassbandmaestro
02.03.2008, 17:40
Personally I wouldnt want a last placing, re top section draw(Dyke)

oddbod
02.03.2008, 17:40
Well done Wakey Met - 3rd at 1st attempt... now that's going to make for an interesting gradings table.....

2nd man down
02.03.2008, 17:41
Championship Section (Courtesy of 4BarsRest.com)

Sunday 2nd March
Adjudicators: David Read and Peter Bassano
Test Piece: Festival Music – Eric Ball
Commences: 1730

Black Dyke, Dr. N. Childs, 12
Brighouse and Rastrick, A. Morrison, 1
Carlton Main Frickley Colliery, R. Gray, 6
Grimethorpe Colliery, A. Withington, 9
Hepworth (Cookson Homes), M. Bentham, 7
Marsden Silver (Ossett Brewery), G. Williams, 2
Pennine Brass, R. Farr, 5
Powerfuel Hatfield, G. O'Connor, 3
Rothwell Temperance, D. Roberts, 4
Stocksbridge, D. Nesbitt, 8
YBS, M. Griffiths, 11
Yorkshire Imperial Urquhart Travel, J. Davies, 10

postie
02.03.2008, 17:53
Just heard from Di B - Drighlington came 7th in 1st section.

2nd man down
02.03.2008, 17:58
Grange Moor were 8th

ian perks
02.03.2008, 17:59
Well the draw puts Black Dyke in Prime Position to come up trumps;Lets hope so
COME ON BLACK DYKE!!!!!!!!

ploughboy
02.03.2008, 18:01
Going up? Skelemanthorpe and Stannington,

Kerwintootle
02.03.2008, 18:06
Well done to JR and Skelmanthorpe and well done to my big bro's band Stannington, yay!!

vickyrowlands
02.03.2008, 18:24
Anyone know the full results for the first section??

madandcrazytromboneguy
02.03.2008, 18:46
i heard 10 of the 14 bands, missed the 1st 2 due to a late train, and the last 2 coz i were getting a headache, but i was impressed with hebden bridge, lindley and drighlington, thought skelmanthope, hade edge and old silkston were good aswell, but results are results, so there we go

real bad luck to clifton in the 2nd section, got a couple of friends in that band and for them to get last aswell as hudds yesterday is quite hard to take, but im sure we'll all get over it in time

2nd man down
02.03.2008, 19:37
1. Skelmanthorpe, J. Roberts, 11, 189
2. Stannington, D. Renshaw, 9, 187
3. Wakefield Metropolitan, N. Law, 13, 185
4. Old Silkstone, A. Exley, 12, 184
5. Yorkshire Co-op, M. Fowles, 7, 183
6. Hebden Bridge, D. Hadfield, 5, 182
7. Drighlington, K. Belcher, 6, 181
8. Grange Moor, K. Wadsworth, 14, 180
9. Barnsley Building Society, W. Rushworth, 10, 179
10. Hade Edge, S. Wood, 8, 178
11. South Yorkshire Police, I. Scott, 3, 177
12. Knottingley Silver, O. Wedgewood, 2, 176
13. Meltham and Meltham Mills, S. Fawcett, 1, 175
14. Lindley, N. Jowett, 4, 174

ploughboy
02.03.2008, 19:39
so it looks like South Yorkshire ( 29 ) police going down, with a tie Barnsley Building and Grange Moor ( 28 ) next to go. . .

tuba1974
02.03.2008, 19:47
well done to hebden bridge band, 6th in the Ist section, well that that will be 4 years in this section, one X conductor said to me once the band whould get relligated, well he was wrong, heres to the furture, well done to the 2 bands going to harrogate, go and win it for yorkshire,

brassbandmaestro
02.03.2008, 20:06
Come on Dyke!!

trombone-john
02.03.2008, 20:13
Well done Wakey Met - 3rd at 1st attempt... now that's going to make for an interesting gradings table.....

Thanks Keith,
Absolutely over the moon with the result.
I think this puts us in pole position for 2009.

Bayerd
02.03.2008, 20:17
well done to hebden bridge band, 6th in the Ist section, well that that will be 4 years in this section, one X conductor said to me once the band whould get relligated, well he was wrong, heres to the furture, well done to the 2 bands going to harrogate, go and win it for yorkshire,

That's it, spend all week bigging your band up about how you're going to qualify, then congratulate them on coming 6th;)

LOL!

DiG that cornet
02.03.2008, 20:51
That's it, spend all week bigging your band up about how you're going to qualify, then congratulate them on coming 6th;)

LOL!

Which post was that then, must have missed it?

Bayerd
02.03.2008, 21:10
Which post was that then, must have missed it?

Erm.. This one,

IST SKELE
2ND HEBDEN
3RD LINDLEY
4TH COOP

then this one,

come on hebden bridge you can do it.

And I must apologise, 'cause in my mind, I thought this was also from the same person.

Dyke to win!! also think hepworth will do well this year!! Hebden to qualifie in 1st section this year!!!!

At least he got the winners right.

Peter5
02.03.2008, 21:30

Judging by Whit Friday, maybe they'll have ended up playing number two.

Roger Thorne
02.03.2008, 21:33
Judging by Whit Friday, maybe they'll have ended up playing number two.

>ouch!<

;)

bassmittens
02.03.2008, 21:33
Going up? Skelemanthorpe and Stannington,

:biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

Kerwintootle
02.03.2008, 21:35
:biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:
Congrats!! Great result. Really pleased for my brother Adam.

7thPosition
02.03.2008, 21:41
Looks like The Lindley Band picked up a rare result for them. Does anyone know if they will be relagated?

tuba1974
02.03.2008, 21:54
Erm.. This one,

then this one,

And I must apologise, 'cause in my mind, I thought this was also from the same person.

At least he got the winners right.
wots your problem, and i know i cant splel

bigcol
02.03.2008, 22:09
For what it is worth as an independent, I listened to all the 4th section yesterday, doing some scouting for my band's performance at the end of this month.

I though the results were spot on - certainly top 2 and the top 6 were right. My only slight disagreement was with 3rd - I thought Barnsley were very good and worthy of it, maybe the tuning was just enough to put off Phil and Rodney.

Not knowing anything about any of the bands I was pleased no-one did anything really wrong - it's horrid to prepare for months for the wheels to fall off. A couple of bands did wobble in the off-beat horror of the 4th movement and I must say the conductor from Linthwaite made a few 'school boy' errors (as Hansen would say) but he looked like a bright young chap and I'm sure he'll benefit from whatever the comments said.

It is also the first 4th section contest I've been to where the top positions were decided on style rather than on the old 'notes/tuning' benchmarks usually used in the 4th section. Maybe it is an indication that the 4th sections is getting better? Good on the adjudicators for doing so, although Phil Harper did say that the band that won captured the correct 'je ne sais quoi' spirit of the 2nd movement - good to see ambiguousness still presides in adjudicating! (if you don't understand what I mean, it is French for "don't know what") ;)

Frontman
02.03.2008, 22:27
Results as per 4 Bars Rest

1. Black Dyke, Dr. N. Childs, 12, 195
2. Grimethorpe Colliery, A. Withington, 9, 193
3. Carlton Main Frickley Colliery, R. Gray, 6, 191
4. Rothwell Temperance, D. Roberts, 4, 189
5. Brighouse and Rastrick, A. Morrison, 1, 187
6. Marsden Silver (Ossett Brewery), G. Williams, 2, 185

YorkshireBloke
02.03.2008, 22:29
1st
(its been a long time coming speaking personally!!)

Well done to JR!!!!!!!!

and congrats to Jo Payne, rob J, Wil C, Rob C, Owen, Chris M, Martin O, Clare D, Mark W, BlasterBates etc etc etc etc (apologies for missing anyone but tough.)

A great day for us.
Well done Team

P.

davidaus
02.03.2008, 22:35
So what did Dyke do so well to win by 2 point then?

We are doing Dark Side of the Moon next week and want to know what Rockingham did so well to win by 3 points in the 3rd section.

7thPosition
02.03.2008, 22:35
I heard that Hepworth came 9th.

brassbandmaestro
02.03.2008, 22:39
Well done to all competing bands in the Yorkshire region, especially my favourite Dyke!! I am over the moon!! Nice one Dyke! Made my day. Lots of beer flowing down in there neck of the woods. Comisserations to everybody else.

kerrytoy
02.03.2008, 22:39
[quote=bigcol;584586].

I though the results were spot on - certainly top 2 and the top 6 were right. My only slight disagreement was with 3rd - I thought Barnsley were very good and worthy of it, maybe the tuning was just enough to put off Phil and Rodney.

We were very happy with our 3rd place, we worked really hard to get it and were disapointed not to qualify. :frown:

Jan H
02.03.2008, 22:41
the full results are on 4BR:
http://www.4barsrest.com/news/detail.asp?id=7343

but the site seems a bit busy now :)

1. Black Dyke, Dr. N. Childs, 12, 195
2. Grimethorpe Colliery, A. Withington, 9, 193
3. Carlton Main Frickley Colliery, R. Gray, 6, 191
4. Rothwell Temperance, D. Roberts, 4, 189
5. Brighouse and Rastrick, A. Morrison, 1, 187
6. Marsden Silver (Ossett Brewery), G. Williams, 2, 185
7. Pennine Brass, R. Farr, 5, 183
8. YBS, M. Griffiths, 11, 182
9. Hepworth (Cookson Homes), M. Bentham, 7, 181
10. Yorkshire Imperial Urquhart Travel, J. Davies, 10, 180
11. Powerfuel Hatfield, G. O'Connor, 3, 178
12. Stocksbridge, D. Nesbitt, 8, 177

Pre-qualification: Grimethorpe Colliery and Black Dyke
Other qualifiers: Carlton Main and Rothwell Temperance
Best soloist: Richard Marshall, Black Dyke
Best instrumentalist: David Thornton, Black Dyke

Bayerd
wots your problem, and i know i cant splel

Just highlighting that your band's confidence was placed a little too high.

Roger Thorne
So what did Dyke do so well to win by 2 point then?

If you look closely all the top six placings have two points between them

We are doing Dark Side of the Moon next week and want to know what Rockingham did so well to win by 3 points in the 3rd section.

Played in tune, with a good dynamic range which produced an 'atmospheric' performance - funnily enough it was exactly what the adjudicators were looking for!

:biggrin:

Frontman
02.03.2008, 22:42
Congratulations to Glyn and all my mates at Marsden. Great result.
Well done Jason Evans, make em av it.
And an appearance from Alan Widdop on the trombone rank.
(Marsden means so much to him, well done that man)

ashwortdn
02.03.2008, 22:42
i would like to congratulate marsden on coming 6th really tops.well done jay and everyone else........
see you next week if your there?!!!!!!!

YorkshireBloke
02.03.2008, 23:05
1st
(its been a long time coming speaking personally!!)

Well done to JR!!!!!!!!

and congrats to Jo Payne, rob J, Wil C, Rob C, Owen, Chris M, Martin O, Clare D, Mark W, BlasterBates etc etc etc etc (apologies for missing anyone but tough.)

A great day for us.
Well done Team

P.

oh and special thanks to phil garlick for stepping up and nailing the rep part. Top musician. Thank You Phil..

Harry_GH
02.03.2008, 23:14
Well done to Marsden. Fantastic. Even though I'm a Marsdener, I didn't personally think the performance merited 6th. By my reckonings, that keeps them up by half a point. What happened to B&R? I was at the open rehearshal last Thursday and an old guy walked out in front of me and said 'all the notes..no heart'. It was pretty lifeless tonight I thought. Fantastic cornet solo from Rothwell for me. Black Dyke took it because theirs was musical.
Harry

BbBill
02.03.2008, 23:17
Well done Black Dyke!

leisa
02.03.2008, 23:30
If anyone picked up a pink samsung phone please can you let me know it was found/stolen from a table in the queen pub! (Get that and I am not even drunk!) Thanks

Matt Lawson
02.03.2008, 23:32
Can I just say, despite not normally having much of an interest in the top section, a big well done to Pennine.

I've heard them a few times and they've always sounded like a good outfit. They've beaten two bands in YBS and Hepworth who've had great results in the past - so they must be very pleased with that result.

Also - phenominal result for Marsden!

Well done CK!

madandcrazytromboneguy
02.03.2008, 23:43
lindley did NOT deserve to come last

they put in a really good performance and i think drighlington and hade edge might feel they could have been in the top 6 aswell, as in my previous post, it was hebden bridge, lindley and drighlington's performances that impressed me on the day, but i aint an adjudicator. hell theres always next year!

Jonnys
03.03.2008, 01:30
What a fantistic result for Frickley this year!!!!!

I know that it's hard playing at this contest, but trust me its even worse listening!

I'd better get some practice in for the nationals!!
:clap:

Jack Stout
03.03.2008, 01:31
Black Dyke very worthy winners but very hard on Stocksbridge. They played a very musical performance but with a lot of slips by their soloists. Even with those slips, I couldn't have had them last.

Richard_Brigg
03.03.2008, 06:52
lindley did NOT deserve to come last

they put in a really good performance and i think drighlington and hade edge might feel they could have been in the top 6 aswell, as in my previous post, it was hebden bridge, lindley and drighlington's performances that impressed me on the day, but i aint an adjudicator. hell theres always next year!

lindley impressed you clive?

critic
03.03.2008, 06:59
Black Dyke very worthy winners but very hard on Stocksbridge. They played a very musical performance but with a lot of slips by their soloists. Even with those slips, I couldn't have had them last.

No problem with top four wel done marsden who now stay up.Ithought brighouse were controlled but not good musically rather bland.Agood contest with some good playing from all the bands. Next year will be interestingowith YBS on nineteen points marsden on eighteen points hatfield on16 and pennine on fourteen. Stocksbridge andyorkshire imps are due to be relagated but its a

ll to confirm.Best of luck to all the finalists in london and harrogate

PS What a late finish.why not have three sections on saturday and two on sunday.

Dave1
03.03.2008, 07:25
Massive well done to all at Frickley. They have been knocking on the door and now got a good result that they deserve.
I heard that the 2nd cornet and rep were awesome ?????????????????????????????????

Well done everybody

Fazed Song
03.03.2008, 08:23
I'm not normally one for all these "well done****" sort of messages, indeed they normally irritate me... However, I think for today only (and maybe next monday ;) ) Ill make an exception. Well done Marsden, fantastic stuff. I know they worked damn hard and for the hours and dedication put into the band by most players, they deserved a break.

Spot on Glyn... All you need to do is win next weekend (which I'm quite sure you will ;) ) and March will be a success for you.

Full Bifta

leisa
03.03.2008, 08:37
Huge well done to Skelmanthorpe, thuoroughly deserved I think and you all seemed very happy in the bar :) Well done Stannington as well specially Hannah!!

Also big well done to Marsden, ace result!

2nd man down
03.03.2008, 09:04
Fantastic result for Marsden, what an effort!!!

Great Result for Black Dyke (and also for Rothwell!!)

Surprisingly poor showing (results wise) by Brighouse though, didn't see any of the bands so I don't know, did they deserve to be as low as 5th??

ploughboy
03.03.2008, 09:09
Not knowing anything about any of the bands I was pleased no-one did anything really wrong - it's horrid to prepare for months for the wheels to fall off. A couple of bands did wobble in the off-beat horror of the 4th movement and I must say the conductor from Linthwaite made a few 'school boy' errors (as Hansen would say) but he looked like a bright young chap and I'm sure he'll benefit from whatever the comments said.

;)

Our very own David Smith (Dave_Euph I think). I believe this will have been his first contest.

Jan H
03.03.2008, 09:19
Congratulations to all the winners and other qualifiers for the Nationals!

So, who played sop for Black Dyke?

JR
03.03.2008, 09:25
Well done to JR and Skelmanthorpe and well done to my big bro's band Stannington, yay!!

Thanks Alex - I had a chat with Adam - well done to Stannington and my old friends Derek Renshaw and Andy Platt from the Harlequin brass days and John Grayson from Ecclesfield/Barrow!

Your hubby seemed to enjoy himself too!

A big thank you to everyone at Skelmanthorpe!

cheers

John R

P.S Well done to Dave and Rothwell (thanks for the lift back)

flash harry
03.03.2008, 09:45
I heard all 12 bands yesterday in the Championship Section - a first for me.

I thought Dyke were great - the best for me. The 2 bands that also impressed me were Carlton Main and Rothwell. Both were excellent and deserve their place at the Nationals.

B&R off number 1 were impressive - some people say there was no heart in it; however, I disagree. It was a well controlled, smooth performance and they made it sound easy. They can count themselves a little unlucky - maybe on another day it would have been a different result?

Apart from the lady not allowing us in through the side door at the start of the Championship Section (the queue had been forming for a least 30 mins without anything being said and no sign had been displayed) I thought the contest organisation was excellent. It was my first time at the Yorkshire Area and I think the Midland bods could certainly learn something from them. Maybe the change of venue this year will be the start... we'll see.

P.S. It's true, the 2nd cornet and Rep for Carlton Main were awesome - well done lads.

Hornted
03.03.2008, 09:47
Well done John and all at Skelmanthorpe - what a great result

from all at Newstead

Melanie

BrotherBone
03.03.2008, 10:03
P.S. It's true, the 2nd cornet and Rep for Carlton Main were awesome - well done lads.

The thoresby connection coming through there? ;)

JR
03.03.2008, 10:15
oh and special thanks to phil garlick for stepping up and nailing the rep part. Top musician. Thank You Phil..

agreed!

And to Andy Pickles for coming out of retirement to play 2nd cornet

Is the hotel booked for both bands yet?!

Is Batesy still alive?

JR

DiG that cornet
03.03.2008, 10:26
Just highlighting that your band's confidence was placed a little too high.

I really don't understand why people have to knock others all the time.
Tuba1974 is just very proud of his band - nothing wrong with that. If you don't have ambition and don't believe in your own band then it's a poor showing.

flash harry
03.03.2008, 10:51
Thoresby connection? I don't know what you mean BrotherBone!

Yep, it's true. DJ and Swanny are quality. Miss them both.

andy;-)
03.03.2008, 11:04
. Stocksbridge andyorkshire imps are due to be relagated but its a

ll to confirm.Best of luck to all the finalists in london and harrogate

Shouldn't that be Stocksbridge and Sellers to be relegated? as they didn't compete they will get 13 points (last place +1).

leisa
03.03.2008, 11:11
Shouldn't that be Stocksbridge and Sellers to be relegated? as they didn't compete they will get 13 points (last place +1).

Sellers dont exist anymore?! :-?

andy;-)
03.03.2008, 11:23
Sellers dont exist anymore?! :-?

Maybe, but a band has to not compete for 3 years before they are removed from the grading tables - see the regional website - to quote "Sellers International have not entered the 2008 contest but are graded in this section."

Simon Preshom
03.03.2008, 11:47
Maybe, but a band has to not compete for 3 years before they are removed from the grading tables - see the regional website - to quote "Sellers International have not entered the 2008 contest but are graded in this section."

If this is definately the case, one or two bands will be extremely relieved. How does it work with Sellers though...I know they have folded, but officially, did they withdraw from the areas or are they officially 'struck off' and exempt from grading matters?

Tracey
03.03.2008, 11:59
If you look on Yorkshire's website the bands that haven't competed this year in all sections have been awarded last place, that includes Sellars, so according to that if 2 come down from Championship section it'll be Sellars and Stocksbridge that are relegated!

Jack the Baritone King
03.03.2008, 12:15
Gutted!! : (

Bayerd
03.03.2008, 12:51
Well Done Marsden, that'll give you at least one more year in the top flight!:clap:

kiwis
03.03.2008, 12:58
Well done to Marsden, even though i am a brighouse lass at heart, i didnt think their performance was impressive sorry to say. Did anyone hear West Yorkshire Police band play in the 3rd section on saturday, mixed reactions at the results just want some opinions.

ta
Jayne

p.s. well done to my adopted village of slaithwaite.....

snazzy_cornet_sound
03.03.2008, 13:04
Anyone know who played soprano for Dyke?

PowerRanger
03.03.2008, 13:12

Bert Van Theinen from Willebrook

Awesome!!!

Hornic
03.03.2008, 13:26
Well done to everyone at YBS Concert. After a difficult couple of years the band is well and truly back on it's feet and yesterdays result was fantastic.

A big thanks to our MD Ian Craddock who put in a huge amount of work.

Well done Slaithwaite - we look forward to seeing you in Harrogate-and a big well done to all the other successful bands.

Thanks
Nic

MarkGillatt
03.03.2008, 13:30
Hmmm, should be some interesting decisions to be made in this VERY tight section
I have worked out that

Slaithwaite 5 + 1 = 6
Strata 3 + 4 = 7
YBS 6 + 2 = 8
Kippax 2 + 6 = 8
Holme Silver 6 + 3 = 9
Frickley 7 + 5 = 12
Dodworth 6 + 7 = 13
Horbury 4 + 9 = 13
Wetherby 9 + 8 = 17
Clifton 6 + 11 = 17
Chapeltown 8 + 10 = 18

Pick the bones out of that then :wink:

Owen
03.03.2008, 13:32
Don't forget that the gradings are taken over three years, so you need to add in the 2006 placings as well...

Tracey
03.03.2008, 13:33
Slaithwaite and YBS Concert will go up!

ian perks
03.03.2008, 13:57
Well the draw puts Black Dyke in Prime Position to come up trumps;Lets hope so
COME ON BLACK DYKE!!!!!!!!
Yes the DYKE HAVE WON:clap: :biggrin:

The Flugaliser
03.03.2008, 14:08
Well done to everyone at YBS Concert. After a difficult couple of years the band is well and truly back on it's feet and yesterdays result was fantastic.

A big thanks to our MD Ian Craddock who put in a huge amount of work.

I'll second that!!

Know the guys from 4br do a great job but I've got to love their prediction vs results for the 2nd section.

Prediction:

1. Dodworth MW
2. Kippax
3. Frickley
4. Strata
5. Horbury Victoria
6. Clifton & Lightcliffe

Actual:

1. Slaithwaite
2. YBSCB
3. Holme
4. Strata
5. Frickley
6. Kippax

Is two out of six a record? Random selection should get at least 3!!?

Gorgie boy
03.03.2008, 14:11
I'll second that!!

Know the guys from 4br do a great job but I've got to love their prediction vs results for the 2nd section.

Prediction:

1. Dodworth MW
2. Kippax
3. Frickley
4. Strata
5. Horbury Victoria
6. Clifton & Lightcliffe

Actual:

1. Slaithwaite
2. YBSCB
3. Holme
4. Strata
5. Frickley
6. Kippax

Is two out of six a record? Random selection should get at least 3!!?

Well that's right as according to what you have posted above they did get three out of six!!!

Pastit
03.03.2008, 14:12
Originally Posted by snazzy_cornet_sound http://www.themouthpiece.com/vb/images/satellite/buttons/viewpost.gif (http://www.themouthpiece.com/vb/showthread.php?p=584718#post584718)

Bert Van Theinen from Willebrook

Awesome!!!

I thought they appointed Paul Duffy to the seat. Is he not quite ready for contests yet!!:wink:

Aidan
03.03.2008, 14:19
aye, nice vote of confidence eh. Back to that definition of a ringer thread?

2nd man down
03.03.2008, 14:41
Well done to Marsden, even though i am a brighouse lass at heart, i didnt think their performance was impressive sorry to say. Did anyone hear West Yorkshire Police band play in the 3rd section on saturday, mixed reactions at the results just want some opinions.

ta
Jayne

p.s. well done to my adopted village of slaithwaite.....

I did,
they were generally ok, had a nice sound at times, but I think a bit of rushing here and there, a few too many quite obvious slips and the usual 3rd section disease of some tuning and intonation issues cost them a few places.
I could be wrong but I'm sure the flugel was singing the rythm at letter G to the solo horn where the horn has the tune over the two euph and tutti cornet counter melodies. Behind every succesful solo horn there's a flugel that can count!

Accidental
03.03.2008, 15:24
Hmmm, should be some interesting decisions to be made in this VERY tight section
<snip>
Pick the bones out of that then :wink:
OK!

If your maths was right, it would just mean 3 bands going down not 2 (its the bands with the 2 highest points totals, not the 2 bands....)
But, the gradings are based on 3 years points, which makes the bottom 2 Chapeltown and Wetherby & District.

Interesting issue about ringers Aidan :rolleyes:

Matt Lawson
03.03.2008, 15:45
I heard ourselves (obviously), West Yorkshire Police and Rockingham.

I thought West Yorkshire Police had a few too many slips to really make the grade, and their 7th place was probably about right. A solid performance but one which had a few too many tuning and rythmic problems.

Rockingham - I don't know what to say that won't offend anyone and without sounding like I have sour grapes which is not the case. I'm generally an unbiased listener. Indeed - when I heard Dodworth at the 4th section areas a couple of years back, I knew and admitted they'd beaten us on the day.

I thought Rockingham played a solid performance at the start and end - but I thought the middle rocked quite a bit. I'd have placed them in the top 4 for sure, but perhaps not as winners (although I didn't hear any other bands so that's a throwaway comment).

The percussion had a few spare bangs and rattles spaced about the performance and come the end of it, I was relatively confident that we'd put a similar, if not slightly more convincing performance in, than them. But then again I didn't hear Emley from the balcony, I heard them from the 2nd Cornet seat.

At the end of the day, the adjudicators are more experienced banders than me for sure, so they obviously picked the correct winners on the day and accept that.

Good luck to Rockingham and Garforth at the National Finals!

Fazed Song
03.03.2008, 15:48
Yeah what ever happened to Paul... I thought he was the next Pete Roberts?

Dave Euph
03.03.2008, 16:21
... and I must say the conductor from Linthwaite made a few 'school boy' errors (as Hansen would say) but he looked like a bright young chap and I'm sure he'll benefit from whatever the comments said.

Not one to get sore about criticism but care to elaborate? We had a tough day no doubt, and are a touch disappointed we didn't do ourselves justice on the day. But what exactly did I do wrong? Bearing in mind the band followed me fine all through rehearsals and on stage (well done to them considering how difficult they were finding the atmosphere) and I've had professional advice on how I was directing the piece.

To be honest, I didn't think the standard of conducting in the fourth section was particularly high on the day, and I may have just seemed like one of those upstarts who thinks they know what they were doing. But some more useful advice would certainly be appreciated. ;-)

As for the 1st section, well it just didn't happen didn't it? No matter what people say about where we could or should have done, the adjudicators put us 10th. Simply the way it is, a disappointing weekend and something we'll have to bounce back from. I'm not going to moan sour grapes ultimately about either of my results. Having the ability is one thing. Getting a band to achieve it on stage is entirely another.

Congrats to all the winners, and a super top section contest. :)

The Flugaliser
03.03.2008, 16:50
Well that's right as according to what you have posted above they did get three out of six!!!

Ah yes.... thanks.... you're in my little black book now

YorkshireBloke
03.03.2008, 16:54
As for the 1st section, well it just didn't happen didn't it?....

I beg to differ...it happened alright!!!! (whatever "it" might be of course!!?)

joker66
03.03.2008, 16:57
I beg to differ...it happened alright!!!! (whatever "it" might be of course!!?)

'It' certainly did - what a great result!!!! (for Skelmanthorpe and Skelmanthorpe B)

leisa
03.03.2008, 16:58
..I think Dave might have meant on behalf of Hade Edges result not in general :-S correct me if i am wrong!

On the subject of William Rushworths coments on 4 bars rest could anyone who listened to alot of the first section comment on how many bands played the cornet solo as a cadenza or just did what was written on the part. We did what was written am just curious as to what everyone else did?

brassintheed
03.03.2008, 17:19
Really enjoyed playing yesterday, i think that Stocksbridge played really well and we should be very proud of ourselves. Obviously the result is a bit of a smack in the face, just when the band was really starting to turn a corner after a couple of years really hard work. But you take the highs with the lows. Looking forward to a great year with a great bunch of musicians and friends.

Thanks especially once again to Dave Nesbitt who as always was outstanding in his direction, motivation, and sheer hard work. Also to the people who helped out by filling our last few empty chairs.

Congratulations to all bands who took away prizes, and especially those who take part in the Stocksbridge band club season.

tuba1974
03.03.2008, 17:20
just a thought, Im not bitter about the ist section results, im very happy with where my band came, I listened to band 7 to band 14, and two of the bands got very high places, but made a very obvious mistakes on the bass parts at bars 114 before marcia. the two bands played EEb and BBb bass notes on the beat when it is clearly marked
EEb bass answer BBb bass quavers for me this was played wrong, I always thought a prize winning band sould play all the right notes in the right place, alot of bands who did play it right got nothing. did any one else hear this or am I going deaf, or lets just play any thing we want.:eek: :tup

paddo
03.03.2008, 17:23
explain? don't have the part at hand and which 2 bands are you referring to!!

agentorange
03.03.2008, 17:24
Well, I did it again. Bought a ticket for the top section, never left the bar, never heard a band! There's always next year.....

tuba1974
03.03.2008, 17:35
I Have Read The Words, Not Naming Bands They No Who It Was.

paddo
03.03.2008, 17:43
know where your on about now!! can't believe that some bands did that....... but as YOU know, your not on about the winners as I can assure you this is not how we played it....

leisa
03.03.2008, 17:51
I am well confused :-S

stephen2001
03.03.2008, 18:45

Overhearing someone that was in the draw, Brighouse and Dyke were the last two bands to be pulled out of the first bag, with the first and last in the playing order left in the second bag.
That's the luck of the draw, but I think Dyke would have won it no matter whether they played 1st, last or anywhere else.

tuba1974
03.03.2008, 18:50
no the winners played spot on will do well in top section, top band.

paddo
03.03.2008, 19:21

Thanks;)

bassmittens
03.03.2008, 19:50

That's a large finger...........................

.....................wonder where it's pointing:rolleyes:

brassbandmaestro
03.03.2008, 19:52
Be great if Dyke could win the Nation and the British Open. Although they wouldnt qualify for 'The European' would they, as they didnt come in the National top 2 Or has that changed since The English BB Championships started?

mdfreeman
03.03.2008, 19:53
just a thought, Im not bitter about the ist section results, im very happy with where my band came, I listened to band 7 to band 14, and two of the bands got very high places, but made a very obvious mistakes on the bass parts at bars 114 before marcia. the two bands played EEb and BBb bass notes on the beat when it is clearly marked
EEb bass answer BBb bass quavers for me this was played wrong, I always thought a prize winning band sould play all the right notes in the right place, alot of bands who did play it right got nothing. did any one else hear this or am I going deaf, or lets just play any thing we want.:eek: :tup

Not me!!!! ;) Can confirm that we played as per parts,

Cornishbassman
03.03.2008, 19:54
know where your on about now!! can't believe that some bands did that....... but as YOU know, your not on about the winners as I can assure you this is not how we played it....

Was just about to same the same - the winners clearly played this part right!

sunny_jimbob
03.03.2008, 20:59
Really enjoyed playing yesterday, i think that Stocksbridge played really well and we should be very proud of ourselves. Obviously the result is a bit of a smack in the face, just when the band was really starting to turn a corner after a couple of years really hard work. But you take the highs with the lows. Looking forward to a great year with a great bunch of musicians and friends.

Thanks especially once again to Dave Nesbitt who as always was outstanding in his direction, motivation, and sheer hard work. Also to the people who helped out by filling our last few empty chairs.

Congratulations to all bands who took away prizes, and especially those who take part in the Stocksbridge band club season.

Seconded - on all counts. Gutted with the result, but that's banding, eh!

Seaweed
03.03.2008, 22:17
Congratulations to Lofthouse 2000 Brass Band!

I'm very proud of all of you, and here's to the future :clap:

jd
03.03.2008, 23:11

We paid Peggy 30,000 to let us sit in the bandroom for 6 hours waiting to play. Then we took the 'phantom' coach down the hill to St.Georges Hall, followed by a further bribe of 70,000 to win. Thats how you win contests by the way.

Nice one pal,

Doylie

HBB
03.03.2008, 23:13
We paid Peggy 30,000 to let us sit in the bandroom for 6 hours waiting to play. Then we took the 'phantom' coach down the hill to St.Georges Hall, followed by a further bribe of 70,000 to win. Thats how you win contests by the way.

Nice one pal,

Doylie

I knew our £10 wasn't enough!! ;)

jd
03.03.2008, 23:18
I knew our £10 wasn't enough!! ;)

You need at leat 20 to be safe

Simon Preshom
03.03.2008, 23:35
Be great if Dyke could win the Nation and the British Open. Although they wouldnt qualify for 'The European' would they, as they didnt come in the National top 2 Or has that changed since The English BB Championships started?

You qualify by for the European by winning the 'new' English National in June. Black Dyke are going this year for the first time.

brassbandmaestro
04.03.2008, 07:19
Ah, I thought so. Has the test piece for the English been announced?

swisscornet
04.03.2008, 08:02
Originally Posted by snazzy_cornet_sound http://www.themouthpiece.com/vb/images/satellite/buttons/viewpost.gif (http://www.themouthpiece.com/vb/showthread.php?p=584718#post584718)

I thought they appointed Paul Duffy to the seat. Is he not quite ready for contests yet!!:wink:

As far as I know is Paul Duffy doing the concerts and Bert the contests..

Cheers Claudio

Simon Preshom
04.03.2008, 09:23
Ah, I thought so. Has the test piece for the English been announced?

I understand it's called 'Infinite' by Robert Redhead.

Anyway, back on Yorkshire thread :)

Anonymous_user
04.03.2008, 09:24

Nice one pal,

Doylie

Its for ever been a mystery to me how great players and great conductors win contests!!
Well done john and the band

tubafran
04.03.2008, 09:27
Bob Child remarks on that bit for us are "Good cornet at 92 maybe room for more style (panache)" - so did this mean he wanted it a bit more like a cadenza or not?

[quote=leisa;584826]I am well confused :-S

The alternate EEb and BBb notes were in the bar before the euphonium tune in the quiet Marcia - think we got it right as Bob wrote

"Excellent transition into Marcia quaver = crotchet spot on"

yorkie19
04.03.2008, 09:37
Well, I did it again. Bought a ticket for the top section, never left the bar, never heard a band! There's always next year.....

Do what I do. Accept that you will never get out of the bar, and spend the money there instead! ;)

AndyCat
04.03.2008, 09:42

Nice one pal,

Doylie

Thank God you've at last admitted it!

Up the Yidster!

Sop123
04.03.2008, 10:24
Did anyone hear the two Gawthorpe bands in the 3rd section?

Gorgie boy
04.03.2008, 10:48

I presume the adjudicators did (runs and hides............)

tubafran
04.03.2008, 10:53

Only heard the first Gawthorpe - and I've commented on the DSOM thread about how well I thought it was played and then spoilt when the cornets turned out to play it really loud - real shame because I'm sure without that it would have been placed higher.

leisa
04.03.2008, 11:42
Bob Child remarks on that bit for us are "Good cornet at 92 maybe room for more style (panache)" - so did this mean he wanted it a bit more like a cadenza or not?

The alternate EEb and BBb notes were in the bar before the euphonium tune in the quiet Marcia - think we got it right as Bob wrote

"Excellent transition into Marcia quaver = crotchet spot on"

lol thanks francis, was just wondering if any other bands did the cornet bit as a cadenza or stuck to the part like we did

Bass Trumpet
04.03.2008, 14:26
Hello all,

A few pages back, I made a gag about the possibility of Black Dyke bribing the organisers to get the late draw. Despite me saying 'tongue in cheek' at the bottom, I received a very abusive PM from someone about it. I am sorry if my joke might have touched some sort of nerve with anybody; I had assumed that it would be taken as it was meant. I may pass the PM on to the moderators, but for now, please be assured that I am very pleased for Black Dyke to had got a good result and comiserate with the ones not so lucky on the day. Please be assured that I am a lovely fluffy person who means no ill to anyone.:biggrin:

blasterbates
04.03.2008, 14:53
Is Batesy still alive?

JR

Apparantly so - spotted running the quiz at the band's celebration curry last night - congratulations to Adam for winning the "impersonating JR beating out the last note" competition.

JR
04.03.2008, 15:01
Apparantly so - spotted running the quiz at the band's celebration curry last night - congratulations to Adam for winning the "impersonating JR beating out the last note" competition.

...I've just had a text about that...

At least i didnt stab myself (Year o't' Dragon) or chuck a cuff-link at the principal cornet (Ratcliff Highway)

JR

Gorgie boy
04.03.2008, 15:18
...I've just had a text about that...

At least i didnt stab myself (Year o't' Dragon) or chuck a cuff-link at the principal cornet (Ratcliff Highway)

JR

My favourite onductor's trick is to wave the stick with a flourish in a rather draughty hall and watch the players dive for the music that has just blown off the stand.

Did it in error conducting our bands public run through of JC- Circumnavigator on Sunday evening.

Hornetto
04.03.2008, 15:35
I was down in Bradford for the weekend and managed to get to listen to all of the 3rd section, some of the 1st section and some of the top section. For me, Rockingham were well deserved winners of the 3rd section and I thought they and Garforth were the clear qualifiers. After those 2 I had the following:3. Gawthorpe Brass. 4. Emley. 5. Gawthorpe Brass '85. 6. Elland...so pretty close to the adjudicators!! I have to agree with previous comments re. Emley's cornet solo. Very nice. In the 1st section I'd like to congratulate the 2 qualifiers...a good weekend for the 2 Skelmanthorpe bands. I wouldn't like to have been in the box to make the decisions for this section. I didn't hear all the bands but of some of those I heard, there seemed to be a lot of deviation from the score...specially in terms of dynamics. Anyone else notice? I don't think this has been said in previous threads but I'd like to say a big well done to Knottingley Band. The word up here had been that they were in some trouble (player-wise) and wouldn't make it to the Areas. I was, therefore suprised but very glad, not only to see that they made it but also that they put in a good performance even with a couple of empty chairs. Despite their result, this was actually one of the few performances that stuck very closely to the markings on the score (Barnsley Building Society being another). Well done to their solo euph too....very nice playing! I didn't hear Lindley so can't comment on whether they were robbed or not but certainly not the result we're used to from them. And finally the top section. From the bands I heard it seemed like a fair adjudication. There were no bands that didn't play the piece and little slips really did make a difference in the end. Dyke were worthy winners and I'd also have had Grimey 2nd but Rothwell 3rd and Frickley 4th (for Rothwell's performance of the 2nd movement which was sublime.) Well done both on qualifying.