PDA

View Full Version : Playing outside your "patch"

Owen
02.02.2003, 09:15
I know that some of the top bands spend their weekends on coaches travelling around the country to perform concerts in all sorts of places, but I wonder if any bands outside of the very top echelons do anything similar?

My own band performs mostly within the confines of West Yorkshire and the Pennines towns in Lancashire. We have often thought of trying to get further afield, but by the time you overcome the costs of coaches, players that work until 5 on Saturdays, the odd dep to cover absentees it never seems to quite come off.

How do other bands manage it?

Owen
1st Baritone
Yorkshire Co-operatives Brass Band

PeterBale
03.02.2003, 08:52
I realise that in the world of Salvation Army banding our situation is rather different to that of most other bands. Although we do undertake a number of Saturday night engagements, which tend to be fairly local, we also visit other Salvation Army centres, often taking in a whole weekend, with a concert on the Saturday night and a full Sunday's activities. In the majority of cases, these are on an exchange basis, with a return visit being arranged in due course. It is true that the cost of travel becomes a major factor, and has also caused the occasional upset. Previously, the centre hosting the visit would usually pay the visitors' travel costs, but this has caused difficulties when for some reason the return visit has been called off or re-arranged.
We have also, on occasions, visited a fairly small centre where the whole band has presented the Saturday programme, often in a local church or school hall, leaving a smaller group to carry out the Sunday's activities. We obviously have the advantage in that billets are provided by the hosts, so there are not usually any accomodation costs involved. When undertaking more extensive visits, such as the weekend we carried out in Jersey, then funds need to be raised in advance to fund the trip. On that occasion, a number of family members and other friends paid their own way and made it a short holiday in conjunction with the band's visit.

BoozyBTrom
26.02.2003, 09:22
We do quite a bit of travelling to concerts and stuff but out worst weekend for totting up the miles is comming soon.

On the saturday night we have a Concert In Castle Douglas Scotland. Then The following day we are in Sunny Scunthorpe.

All that travlling from our base just outside Durham. AAAhhhhh Life on a Coach

Oh and then theres our Marathon day as well. With Two Jobs in 24 hours. Sunday afternoon at Burnley Mechanics annd then Sunday night in Dobcross. My lips are not looking forward to that.

trombelle
10.11.2003, 13:52
i know what u mean about marathons!

near xmas, my band has its usual 2 hr rehersal on thurs night (3hours if i help the jnior band out), a job on friday nyt, playing at the town clock on sat morning, playing local shopping centre on sat afternoon and then another job on sunday!!

it tires us out but it raises the profile of the band and despite freezing ourselves half to death on saturday (many thanx to our secretary who brings a hip flask full of warming drink. lets just say its not tea :wink: ) we all really enjoy the long weekend of playing!

yes we are mad :P

geordiecolin
10.11.2003, 14:28
As an Ovington Tynedale player, the furthest afield we you used to go was Whitehaven, which according to multimap.com is an 170 mile round trip (from bandroom, as are all distances in this post). We did this every year and the band was always paralytic on the way back... alas, i was only really old enough to appreciate the very last time we went and incidentally won the 3rd section too!

As a Dronfield player, the band seemed to revel in playing as far away from Dronfield as often as possible, jobs in Mansfield (40 mile round trip), Chatsworth (30 mile round trip) and contests in Burton (Midlands Area, 84 mile round trip), Wychavon (230ish mile round trip) and of course Pontins (208 miles round trip), admittedly not all massive trips but i think it was frequency that made it seem like that!! Not bad mileage for a 4th Section Band!

With BBSB, I've only done one job so far, and that was an 8 mile round trip and apparently we rarely go far afield!

Cantonian
10.11.2003, 15:30
I realise that in the world of Salvation Army banding our situation is rather different to that of most other bands. Although we do undertake a number of Saturday night engagements, which tend to be fairly local, we also visit other Salvation Army centres, often taking in a whole weekend, with a concert on the Saturday night and a full Sunday's activities. In the majority of cases, these are on an exchange basis, with a return visit being arranged in due course. It is true that the cost of travel becomes a major factor, and has also caused the occasional upset. Previously, the centre hosting the visit would usually pay the visitors' travel costs, but this has caused difficulties when for some reason the return visit has been called off or re-arranged.
We have also, on occasions, visited a fairly small centre where the whole band has presented the Saturday programme, often in a local church or school hall, leaving a smaller group to carry out the Sunday's activities. We obviously have the advantage in that billets are provided by the hosts, so there are not usually any accomodation costs involved. When undertaking more extensive visits, such as the weekend we carried out in Jersey, then funds need to be raised in advance to fund the trip. On that occasion, a number of family members and other friends paid their own way and made it a short holiday in conjunction with the band's visit.

Ditto Peter.

In the past we have subsidised costs to smaller Corps whether Saturday or Weekends but on two occasions found that very little effort had been put into advertising and thus the congregation/crowd was embarrassingly few. This meant that our subsidy ( individuals paid toward the coach) only offset the losses made.

floral_dance
10.11.2003, 17:44
we usually play in the surrounding area, never travel too far.

Bob Thompson
16.11.2003, 00:21
We are 4th section, most of our performances are in and around the north pennines, but recently undertook 11 performances in germany, does that count........smiles

Okiedokie of Oz
16.11.2003, 08:17
Queensland is the 2nd biggest state in Australia, but because our cites are so spread out, our bands have a looong way to travel for contests. AS a result we've always had them at Easter, but pressure from other states is to move them out of this time, to allow more bands to travel to our nationals at the same time.

Some bands have to travel 1500km or more to play, then go home again!

Steve
17.11.2003, 13:11
Three of my last few bands have all been sponsored by Nationwide companies, this means huge distances to travel and fairly regulaly as the sponsors wanted the bands at all sorts of festivals, get togethers, events etc My first band were self funding and were very much local. They did almost all their concerts in the town and surrounding villages except the odd contest where they would travel a little further a field. Not sure which I prefered as the concerts now are bigger and more prestigious but only having to go 10mins up the road is something I miss. Also the locals treat you much better as you are 'their' band.

faerie
17.11.2003, 15:31
My old band played all over yorkshire and lancashire, especially over the summer in various parks and carnivals and things.

Plus we have been futher afield in Britain and Europe, but much less commonly. eg this summer we went to Germany, and this time last year we played for the Remembrance Parades in France.

I think the furtherst affield theyve been was America, but that was many moons ago, before i was born even. :shock: :D

My current band has a much smaller radius... ie the campus. Infact, we're lucky to make it out of the rehersal room. But we are going caroling in town (ooo, 5 minutes walk) and have a concert for the uni's Christian Union in the church near my halls. So thats about what, about 3 miles from the band room. :roll:

iancwilx
18.11.2003, 21:04
Kippax rate Blackpool (80 miles) as a moon shot - and last years Finals at Torquay was the equivalent of an intergalactic probe !!
We do loads of gigs but I reckon we only hire a coach about twice a year - contests only !!
Having said that, we do a lot (and I mean a lot!) of gigs within 20 miles of the Bandroom - we are really active in the East Leeds/Selby/ Castleford area + of course our monthly Concert on the second Sunday of each month at Kippax Band Club, Mount Pleasant, Kippax. (New Prog each month)
Over the Pennines is "To boldly go......etc"