PDA

View Full Version : favourites for this years yorkshire area contest

madandcrazytromboneguy
08.01.2008, 20:20
who do you think will do well this year?

this threads directed for all the sections

expect Huddersfield and Ripponden Brass Ensemble to do well this year, coz if we don't, we are down!

MightyForester
08.01.2008, 21:10
Yorkshire Area?
Based on current form I'm going with Grimey!
Two Nationals in a row but here's something spooky for the form guide:

Every time Alan Withington has done two Nationals in a row (1997-1998 Brighouse, 2002-2003 Fairey), Nick Childs has come along and spoilt the party! What odds on Nick Childs getting the Nationals Trophy this year!
:confused:

"I'm built for comfort and not for Speed!"

Duck of demolition
09.01.2008, 00:24
Seem suitable for my first post.

I think

Champ-Brighouse
1st-Skelmanthorpe
2nd-Kippax

Hope i get them right. Might be able to come to the yorkshire's next year.

madandcrazytromboneguy
09.01.2008, 01:08
skel were 1 of the big 3 in last yrs 1st section, i got the impression all 3 were going up to champ this time, is that not the case?

the top 3 were so far better than the rest last year, it was almost as obvious as grimey, dyke and brighouse in the champ

DannyCollin
09.01.2008, 01:32
the top 3 were so far better than the rest last year, it was almost as obvious as grimey, dyke and brighouse in the champ[/quote]

So obvious that grimey were 8th last year, dyke were 3rd.

agentorange
09.01.2008, 02:48
Seem suitable for my first post.

I think

Champ-Brighouse
1st-Skelmanthorpe
2nd-Kippax

Just what I was going to say. Great minds think alike!

Duck of demolition
09.01.2008, 09:19
Just what I was going to say. Great minds think alike!

They certainly do!

Decided on my 3rd and 4th section too

3rd-Elland
4th-Skelmanthorpe B

Col
09.01.2008, 13:37
What odds on a Skelmanthorpe double in the first and fourth sections?

Duck of demolition
09.01.2008, 15:06

Well if you think about it, 1st and 2nd last year in the 1st section have both gone up, and the b band came second last year and i'm sure are working hard to win

dyl
09.01.2008, 15:52
Well if you think about it, 1st and 2nd last year in the 1st section have both gone up, and the b band came second last year and i'm sure are working hard to win

Bit of a Skelmanthorpe fan aren't you Ducky. Reminds me of someone.......................

Thirteen Ball
09.01.2008, 15:53
skel were 1 of the big 3 in last yrs 1st section, i got the impression all 3 were going up to champ this time, is that not the case?

Nope, just the top two. Stocksbridge and Pennine.

I reckon Skelmanthorpe are a good bet, (Albeit we'll be doing our best to make sure we spoil the party!) But don't forget the bands who came down last year. (Can't remember offhand who they were though)

Throw all that into the mix and who knows. Should be a good open contest in the first section - especially as the piece is so old-school.

the top 3 were so far better than the rest last year, it was almost as obvious as grimey, dyke and brighouse in the champ

Wasn't it Brighouse, Hepworth then Dyke last year? With Grimey down in about 8th?

Bass Man
09.01.2008, 17:21
I'd like to see Grimethorpe pull another win out of the hat.

Possibly Skelmanthorpe for the 1st Section

tubafran
09.01.2008, 17:37
[quote=Thirteen Ball;571858]But don't forget the bands who came down last year. (Can't remember offhand who they were though)

quote]

Old Silkstone and Drighlington are in 1st this year.

Duck of demolition
09.01.2008, 18:01
Bit of a Skelmanthorpe fan aren't you Ducky. Reminds me of someone.......................

well not such a fan, but i do like the band after i saw them in concert in '06 (I think) in Berkhampstead, which was an excellent concert too. Although i think the most memorable moment was when one of the percs knocked the gong off the stage. sheer humour.

postie
09.01.2008, 18:55
A list of entries plus grading tables and start times has just been put onto the Yorkshire Regionals website.

http://www.regional-contest.org.uk/yorkshire/index.php

towse1972
09.01.2008, 21:40
I reckon Skelmanthorpe are a good bet, (Albeit we'll be doing our best to make sure we spoil the party!)
I'm sure it's more than possible that you will.:p I believe you have made some quality signings recently (if my memory serves me right). :)

madandcrazytromboneguy
10.01.2008, 01:18
i know last years champ section results turned up some different bands at the top, but overall the last few years those 3 bands, not just at the area but in the other major contests, have proven how good they are

skel could well do a double, both bands did very well in last years area and if neither got promoted, then they could be hot favourites

Duck of demolition
10.01.2008, 09:22
looked on Yorkshire website and Skel are favourites in first and it appears skel B have to come in the top 3 to get promoted, don't know if that's right or not.

JR
10.01.2008, 10:44
looked on Yorkshire website and Skel are favourites in first and it appears skel B have to come in the top 3 to get promoted, don't know if that's right or not.

Any chance of giving this a rest?

Can't we speculate about Newcastle United instead?
I'd give the job to Alan Hope!

(sorry)

JR

Duck of demolition
10.01.2008, 12:05
Hows about Peter Parkes (lol)

JR
10.01.2008, 13:15
Back to the topic:
I actually think all the sections will be closer than last year and i'm certainly not going to be talking up anybody's chances - a big mistake.

What is encouraging is that the entry seems to be stabilizing again after a worrying few years.

I only wish the finals were held at St Georges rather than Harrogate Conference centre!

JR

blasterbates
10.01.2008, 13:48
i think the most memorable moment was when one of the percs knocked the gong off the stage. sheer humour.

I remember that bit too - basically because it was me who knocked the flippin' thing over - twas in the middle of Ray Farr's Toccata and i didn't realise it had disappeared into the curtains at the time because I had to get straight back to the xylophone solo, so when I spun round later in the piece, beater in hand ready to give it another good thumping I was pretty surprised to see it wasn't there! Having then chucked the beater away to finish off the xylo part I suddenly realised why most of the audience was in stitches.

Same thing happened to me with Hepworth at the Stroud Festival in 2005 although there was some 'fencing' around the stage there so it only went 45 degrees.

Beware Blasterbates carrying Tam Tam Beater and check your insurance.

:biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

Duck of demolition
10.01.2008, 13:56
blasterbates, have you seriously injured anyone.

Oh, and are there any pieces you have played requiring that sort of classic percussionism :rolleyes:

Thirteen Ball
10.01.2008, 14:03
Any chance of giving this a rest?

Can't we speculate about Newcastle United instead?
I'd give the job to Alan Hope!

(sorry)

JR

Quite right JR! There must be SOMEBODY out there who can spend ridiculous amounts on my beloved magpies and actually win games!

Last I heard we were interested in Harry Redknapp. To become newcastle's manager, does someone have to have been featured on that "Panorama" expose about financial irregularities or something? It'll be Terry Venables next!

(Makes hand-brake turn and heads for topic)

I only just found out the other week that Dean Morley had left Grimey to go to Oz. Even for a bass section of that calibre, that's got to be like losing a limb - and he'll be tough to replace.

Either way, they're still off to the finals - which neatly reopens your favourite "Prequalification" argument JR!

JR
10.01.2008, 14:54
Quite right JR! Either way, they're still off to the finals - which neatly reopens your favourite "Prequalification" argument JR!

Yes - I cannot understand why the pre-qualified bands have to go to the area - though I presume it's to do with rankings

I remember when Dyke played "Shining River" in 1981 - it was their first appearance at Bradford for over a decade - they had never needed to attend the area under the rules at the time.
In fact when they played a guest short concert before the results in 1978, including Connotations in the programme - their winning piece from the previous finals, they sounded like a band from a completely different planet. Watching the Major conduct that convinced me that I had, one day to get into this conducting game - what a performance, what a band, what an interpretation.

John R

madandcrazytromboneguy
10.01.2008, 15:24
ok so we've made the points that the skel bands r well positioned, nobodyelse need mention them again in this thread lol

do you all agree with pre-qualification?

im a bit 50-50 on it, its just that if it didn't happen, every band would have to be at the area whether they like it or not then, if they want to be in the final of course

JR i would love to see the finals done at St.G's, it's my favourite venue for both playing and listening to bands, and it would be great for west yorkshire banding fans too ;)

ploughboy
10.01.2008, 15:34
Back to the topic:
I actually think all the sections will be closer than last year and i'm certainly not going to be talking up anybody's chances - a big mistake.

What is encouraging is that the entry seems to be stabilizing again after a worrying few years.

I only wish the finals were held at St Georges rather than Harrogate Conference centre!

JR

Fear not anymore, I've heard on the Harrogate Grapevine, that the finals are now going to be shifted to the newly refurbished Royal hall.

blasterbates
10.01.2008, 17:32
blasterbates, have you seriously injured anyone.

Oh, and are there any pieces you have played requiring that sort of classic percussionism :rolleyes:

I have forced two bass players (on seperate occasions) to rush out of rehearsals and be physically sick having passed wind - i don't know if this counts. Apart from that, and the occasional broken stick head flying around the band, the worst was when I lost part of a tooth trying to assemble a vibraphone. Fortunately one of my co-shed-builders at the time was a dentist.

Not that I'm aware of - it's always more comical when you're not expecting it!

Duck of demolition
10.01.2008, 17:41
i once saw in concert a perc player putting the snare dum throught nd the stick flying into the band.

I have forced two bass players (on seperate occasions) to rush out of rehearsals and be physically sick having passed wind -

My signature sums that up quite well

dyl
10.01.2008, 17:42
Topic please.

Duck of demolition
10.01.2008, 17:48
the thread is favourite's so just wondering has anyone got favourites to go down

Thirteen Ball
10.01.2008, 18:08
Fear not anymore, I've heard on the Harrogate Grapevine, that the finals are now going to be shifted to the newly refurbished Royal hall.

Is that hall any good? Never played at the conference centre, but surely the clue is in the name.

Not really familiar with venues in harrogate. I enjoy abusing the back roads around there in the summer, but have never stopped there for more than a cup of tea in recent years.

I'm in favour of prequalification - but only for the winners. And I've no Idea why they should have to play at their own areas.

I suppose it's because if (for example) Dyke, Grimey and B&R made the top three of the nationals and DIDN'T have to play at the yorkshire area, then the top section contest might be a little under-attended.

So my suggestion would be have the winners pre-qualify, then exempt them from qualification - that way the reigning champions are always present at the finals. (Unlike the potential for absence that currently exists in the football world cup!)

marc71178
10.01.2008, 18:49
I'm guessing the reason for bands having to play the Area's is the league table - what points do they get if they don't attend having prequalified?

JR
11.01.2008, 11:18

That would be great - is this confirmed?

John

blasterbates
11.01.2008, 14:22

Not quite. Skel A and Stannington both have 10 points from their last two years' placings (Skel A's 7 points from 2006 is actually an 'average' mark as they were in the championship section that year), so you could say these two bands are "seeded" first, although that doesn't necessarily make them favourites.

Skel B actually only need to come 4th mathematically as they're "seeded" second on 9 points behind Barnsley on 8. The current third "seeded" bands are on 12, so even if one of those bands won, they'd go onto 13 points for the three years' aggregate. Skel B's 9 + 4th would be sufficient as if there is a relevant tied points placing, both (or all) bands go up. Say for example the result was: Friendly (1) Linthwaite (2) Barnsley (3) Skel B (4); the aggregate points would be Friendly (13) Linthwaite (14) Barnsley (11) Skel B (13) and three bands would be invited to go up, i.e. the band on 11 and the two tied on 13.

Kind Regards
Carol Vauderman

I think the three years' aggregate is a pretty fair way of promoting and relegating bands, and you could argue that the previous two year's results give a good indication as to how a band should perform on the day but with so many changes in MD's and personnel it's never as straight-forward as that, and playing to the "we only need to come third" idea would be as risky as England playing for a draw against Croatia. Best bet is to give it your all and hope the adjudicator(s) find(s) favour with your performance.

:clap:

madandcrazytromboneguy
11.01.2008, 18:45
is predicting the bands to go down a bit harsh?, i mean there could be 1 or 2 obvious 1s if the gulf in quality is so apparent, but they are still likely to give it a go and try their hardest to stay up

when i say favourites, i dont mean your favourite band, i mean favourites as in who the better bands seem to be, or the 1s who are in the best positions for promotion, etc, just incase anyone got the 2 meanings mixed up

HUDDSBASSBONE
11.01.2008, 18:52
I have a sneaky feeling Meltham will do well in the 1st section. Stuart enjoys conducting the piece and seems to get the best from a band with it...

YorkshireBloke
11.01.2008, 20:11
Not quite. Skel A and Stannington both have 10 points from their last two years' placings (Skel A's 7 points from 2006 is actually an 'average' mark as they were in the championship section that year), so you could say these two bands are "seeded" first, although that doesn't necessarily make them favourites.

Skel B actually only need to come 4th mathematically as they're "seeded" second on 9 points behind Barnsley on 8. The current third "seeded" bands are on 12, so even if one of those bands won, they'd go onto 13 points for the three years' aggregate. Skel B's 9 + 4th would be sufficient as if there is a relevant tied points placing, both (or all) bands go up. Say for example the result was: Friendly (1) Linthwaite (2) Barnsley (3) Skel B (4); the aggregate points would be Friendly (13) Linthwaite (14) Barnsley (11) Skel B (13) and three bands would be invited to go up, i.e. the band on 11 and the two tied on 13.

Kind Regards
Carol Vauderman

Thanks Carol I was worried about all that.
In fact the official formula for contesting is

p = d - sn + r x l + 4br

p= Position
d= Draw
sn= Split notes (before "letter A")
r = "Ringers" drafted in
l = Lottery bonus ball number (2 weeks previous)
4br= 4 bars rest prediction*

*If you are predicted as dark horses then this equation is null and void and you should withdraw (apparantly). If its a whit friday performance then there is a separate formula for certain bands playing at Delph.

Time to open a beer or 3.

Paul

Anno Draconis
11.01.2008, 21:13

p = d - sn + r x l + 4br

p= Position
d= Draw
r = "Ringers" drafted in

*If you are predicted as dark horses then this equation is null and void and you should withdraw (apparantly). If its a whit friday performance then there is a separate formula for certain bands playing at Delph.

Paul

An early candidate for my favourite post of the year :D :D :clap:

towse1972
11.01.2008, 23:25

p = d - sn + r x l + 4br

p= Position
d= Draw
r = "Ringers" drafted in

Paul
Paul you geek! lol....:clap:

YorkshireBloke
11.01.2008, 23:55
Paul you geek! lol....:clap:

Hi Donna

Any chance you can do rep for us at the area? Im sure YBS wont mind! In fact you could do both im sure, just wear a disguise. I wont tell if you wont (im sure one or two have done it for certain bands and got away with it in recent years, a ceretain welsh band comes to mind)

Ive got a good supply of fake moustaches and dark glasses in my contest secretary secret attache case!

See you soon!
Paul

madandcrazytromboneguy
12.01.2008, 01:19
your not bitter then are you, funny post though :D

bands who get ringers in for the area contest make me sick, its not fair on the bands who worked their backsides off to try and put out a full band, and sometimes have to go on stage a player or 2 short

my band huddersfield need a big result this year but if we are up against bands with ringers in them, we've got no chance!

just been at rehearsal tonight though and we are making some good progress on the piece, and we are still awaiting a couple of players coming back from their winter holidays. the piece seems to suit us and i think that when we start having full rehearsals, we will get this piece into good shape!

Bayerd
12.01.2008, 03:50
bands who get ringers in for the area contest make me sick, its not fair on the bands who worked their backsides off to try and put out a full band, and sometimes have to go on stage a player or 2 short

Shoulda got in earlier, I say.

Robhibberd29
12.01.2008, 04:19
Hi Donna

Any chance you can do rep for us at the area? Im sure YBS wont mind! Paul

You will find Donna stood at the bar wearing a red rose, drinking a martini with a green umbrella in it. So I'm lead to believe! he he :)

2nd man down
12.01.2008, 13:01

p = d - sn + r x l + 4br

p= Position
d= Draw
r = "Ringers" drafted in

Class. LMAO.. :clap: :biggrin:

Nuke
13.01.2008, 22:34
my band huddersfield need a big result this year but if we are up against bands with ringers in them, we've got no chance!

You need to come three places above Emley band and Gawthorpe according to the gradings.

Hoping that stuart fawcett and meltham have a solid result in the first section.
Think Yorkshire Imps will do well again this year but then again i am slightly biased.

Good luck to all the bands taking part though.

Belfast Barman
29.01.2008, 01:44
Ive got a good supply of fake moustaches and dark glasses in my contest secretary secret attache case!

See you soon!
Paul

So you weren't wearing any at Robcav's 40th do then?

Andy - watch this space!

towse1972
29.01.2008, 01:58
I have a sneaky feeling Meltham will do well in the 1st section. Stuart enjoys conducting the piece and seems to get the best from a band with it...
Too true. I remember doing well with Shat on this some years ago! Go Stuart. A lovely man and a committed, talented conductor and all round musician to boot. :clap:

robcav
29.01.2008, 02:00
So you weren't wearing any at Robcav's 40th do then?

Andy - watch this space!

This is no time for idle chit chat mate! Get your lip in and get some practice done. On second thoughts, don't do too much - best leave it to chance.
Look forward to seeing you when you're over.

Laserbeam bass
29.01.2008, 03:39

Working in the "taking money off mug punters" industry, I would surmise that the two selections are related in that they are in the same event. This being said I have checked with the odds compilers at my company and they will quote prices in the Kexborough retail unit, not far from Skelmanthorpe. You would be lucky to get odds of 6/4. Those in the know would place them nearer to 11/10.

Although I do work for a bookies please don't take this post seriously.

Jack the Baritone King
30.01.2008, 13:25
Nobody is putting Crofton down as 3rd section champs, whats going on people?? Skelli B for 4th section they played well at the nationals, hope Garforth do well in the 3rd too but obviously not well enough hehe

JR
30.01.2008, 13:33
I think Gary McAlister is an excellent choice for Leeds
Not sure what Dennis is doing at Newcastle

Can we discuss this instead?

JR

*Edit*
Yes, in the Sports discussion forum please.
2md.

ploughboy
30.01.2008, 18:32

just been at rehearsal tonight though and we are making some good progress on the piece, and we are still awaiting a couple of players coming back from their winter holidays. the piece seems to suit us and i think that when we start having full rehearsals, we will get this piece into good shape!

It's a tough call this year in the 3rd section, I would give us a good chance, but I think every band will be quietly (Or loudly Jack) fancying their chances. You are never gonna help bands filling their empty seats with the best players possible, as it's the area's and bands can't be overun as the rules are fairly stringent. And their aren't top players sat on every park bench you pass. We are very happy this year in that we have a full team to take to the stage. Although like most bands we may only see them all on the day, which won't help!

What we can say is that we're enjoying the piece, it's great to rehearse although tough being such a big blow it's hard to do too much work without getting the band worn out!! It's all good fun, and i'm sure every band will take the stage and enjoy every minute of playing DSotM. I'm hopeful we'll give a good show, because thats the best part for me. The men in the box like it or don't.

As for the other sections, Tough work, I'd have to fancy Skelmanthorpe (as they're playing really well consistantly) to be in the frame. and yes probably a double with sec 4 too! I'm looking forward to seeing lots of old freinds and having an enjoyable beer, 2nd section - there's 4/5 bands maybe capable of producing on the day, it's not a bad piece. Wetherby have Roy Roe at the Helm so may be a dark horse with all that experience.

Jack the Baritone King
30.01.2008, 18:46
Well said Garry, i'm sorry if i come accross as arrogant and cocky, i'm actually a shy and quiet boy really, you ask Julia!! By the way YBS concert for 2nd section, I know you can do it people, i'll be there to support you hopefully

Belfast Barman
31.01.2008, 03:44
This is no time for idle chit chat mate! Get your lip in and get some practice done. On second thoughts, don't do too much - best leave it to chance.
Look forward to seeing you when you're over.

If I leave it to chance Rob, as I have done many times before, I will, in the words of Obi-Wan Kenobie "Come back more powerful than you could possibly imagine"..........
Although, saying that, I did have a birruva buzz on my mouthpiece yesterday and nearly had a spleen-escaping moment!

Andy - everybody owes me a beer on 2nd March!