PDA

View Full Version : Tetley's Contest early 80's

Suziebabe
18.11.2007, 16:31
Can anyone help me with a year please. I played Solo Horn for Chapeltown Band in the early 80's and we won the 3rd section at the Tetley competition but I don't know which year it was. I know the contest only ran from about 82 to 86 if that helps.

Thanks in advance, Sue:confused:

paddo
22.11.2007, 00:03
Hi Suzie,

you don't know who won the top section do you? as I played with Brodsworth around that time and in 84 we got 3rd on Circumnavigation, and 85 which we won on Primavera.

Hope this might help....

Mark

iancwilx
22.11.2007, 11:27
Having a nostalgic wallow back to the glory days eh what Paddo ?
I've an old programme for the 1986 Tetleys contest which Imps won on Var. on a 9th.
I was a spectator not a participant as it was during my time out from banding.
I've checked all four sections and there is no mention of Chapletown taking part that year.
I might have another prog in the loft.
I think the top section that year I attended was a choice of "Symphony of Marches" or "Diadem of Gold" - I'll have a rummage around for it.
- Wilkie

Steve Lilly
22.11.2007, 14:20
I think the top section that year I attended was a choice of "Symphony of Marches" or "Diadem of Gold"

I may be wrong but I think that was 1983 and City of Coventry won. I recall it as I played for Coventry Imperial band in the second section (won on the day by a certain Wakefield Metropolitan Schools Band conducted by Les Hepplestone) and the test piece was Eric Ball's Main Street. The Coventry Imperial Band had previously been the City of Coventry 'B' Band so we took a close interest in their results. They had only won the British Open 18 months previously and had a great band at the time.

Hope that sheds some light

Steve Lilly

Scoobydoo
27.11.2007, 19:54
Hi, There is always one sad anorak that can find an old programme in the loft !!!

Chapeltown Silver Prize Band, Conducted by Ken Aiken-Jones won The Third Section of the 3rd Joshua Tetley Open Brass Band Championships on Sunday 13th May 1984 at Morley Town Hall.
Test Piece was Sinfonietta by Joseph Horovitz.
First Prize was 400
Adudicator was Harry Mortimer CBE

2nd place went to Bedford (Leigh)
3rd Place went to Whitworth Vale and Healy

I played for Grimsby Band in the top section (Hanwell Band won) playing James Cook - Circumnavigator..... That would make a good Area's test piece !! :-)

Hope this helps....

paddo
28.11.2007, 10:38
Hanwell won! by mistake we thinks....

if anyone can remeber this, it should have been Imps but the results where read out in reverse order but had allready been printed in reverse order!!

We (brodsworth) where 4th but should have been 3rd. The organisers noticed a cock up but left the result standing!!

Any one else remember thiss??

paddo

Suziebabe
30.11.2007, 21:18
Thanks for that! I thought it was 83 looking at the photograph that somebody showed me but that is great!! Cheers, Sue:clap: