PDA

View Full Version : Nominations: Award #17 - Band of the Year - tMP Best Band Award

Di
04.11.2007, 23:40
Award #17 - Band of the Year - tMP Best Band Award

Please nominate which band - in your opinion - has been the 'Band of the Year' during the last 12 months.

Please note: The tMP Band is not eligible for this award!

Please ensure you make absolutely clear which band you nominate and why. Please state the reasons why you are nominating this band. You can, of course, nominate your own band, or another band, but proper reasons must be given as to why your chosen band should be considered. We need to be clear about your choice.

To make your nomination, please simply reply to this thread or to nominate anonymously simply PM any of the tMP team who will then add your nomination to the list.

Please read the tMP Awards Guidelines before making your nominations.

Thank you and happy nominating. :)

agentorange
05.11.2007, 01:11
Has to be Stocksbridge in my opinion.

Yorkshire area winners (1st section)
Senior trophy winners
Pontins 1st section - 2nd place

When you consider how difficult 2006 was for them , these results are even more impressive. Congratulations to Dave Nesbitt and all band members on a very successful year.

flugtastic
06.11.2007, 00:18
The band of the year for me would have to be Denton Brass (4th Section) This time last year the band had 4 key players walk out 2 weeks before the Pontins contest. Being in the band at this time I know that the band moral was at an all time low and tention in the band room was rising rapidly. the band had a very dissapointing result at pontins coming 2nd to last. With more disagreements in the band over the next month, the band then lost their conductor, chairman (also a player) and 3 other players. The commity was falling apart and so was the bands enthusiasm. With the areas fast approching the main concern of the band was to find a suitable conductor. After weeks of looking and auditions the band found a conductor but then found out that they had missed registering for the areas by just 2 days. The band then managed to rebuild a suitable commity and also a concert programme ready for their anual Peter Gee Memorial concert.The band managed to raise 1300 for Christies! The band was staring to rebuild itself at a rapid speed and took part in the Whit Friday Band contest and Kirkby Lonsdale. After very disapointing results at Kirkby the band desparatly needed a good result to prove that they were improving and also to boost moral. Many park and march jobs over the summer proved difficult for the band due to holiday and work commitments but the band got through and started rehersing A Cambrian Suite ready for Fleetwood and Pontins. At Fleetwood the band had the Number 1 spot and played to their Best ability. With only 5 bands in their section the band were all expecting 3rd or 4th place but as these were announced the bands negativity showed as they thought that they had come 5th. But that changed when they came 2ND! This was a great result in time for Pontins. If you had asked the band Where they had wanted to come at pontins 6 months ago they would have said NOT LAST! and the band came 6th!

Now for a band to go from being close to folding due to not having enough players and younger players crying coming off the contest stage to having a full band who are looking forward to results at contest within only 1 year deserves to be nominated for band of the year.

brassintheed
06.11.2007, 18:22
Has to be Stocksbridge in my opinion.

Yorkshire area winners (1st section)
Senior trophy winners
Pontins 1st section - 2nd place

When you consider how difficult 2006 was for them , these results are even more impressive. Congratulations to Dave Nesbitt and all band members on a very successful year.

Really nice of you to nominate Stocksbridge. Must admit it's quite amazing the change from last year to this. The band was in a bit of a state in 2006 following a combination of lack of sponsorship, several conductors coming and going within a short period of time, the loss of many key players and also losing our long term rehearsal, concert and band club venue!

Luckily the band has a strong nucleus of very hard working and friendly players and we were fortunate enough to attract, in my opinion, one of the most talented, committed and hard working musicians in the country in the form of our MD David Nesbitt. It's been really tough, but managed to come through it. mainly through the kind support of players like yourself helping us out when we really need it.

Cheers!!!

PS we still need a sponsorship!!! ;-)

stephenmrry
07.11.2007, 00:16
Will have to go for Cory Band. Won there area played very well at europeans and prob deserved better. Won the open and gave a great showing at the nationals. Really a very consistent year from the band!!

DublinBass
07.11.2007, 02:13
I'd like to nominate Grimethorpe for winning the double (English and British Nationals)

toby-horn
09.11.2007, 21:56
Well I would like to nominate a popular not that well know junior band, called 'Pilling Jubile Silver Junior Band'.

Masterblaster jnr
09.11.2007, 23:02
I'd like to nominate the Skelmanthorpe B Band, 2nd year competing at the area and qualify, then come 3rd at the nationals

dyl
09.11.2007, 23:15
Well I would like to nominate a popular not that well know junior band, called 'Pilling Jubile Silver Junior Band'.
Have you read the opening post for this award? It clearly states: "proper reasons must be given as to why your chosen band should be considered"

All yours........................

sugarandspice
10.11.2007, 21:08
I would like to nominate The Emley- or Emley Brass Band if you don't feel the need to put a 'the' in front of it!

Because- it's all good at the the moment :) Some good results this year, great atmosphere and generally making good progression as a full band.

marchris6047
12.11.2007, 18:29
My Nomination would have to be Uppermill Band.... Over the last 3 years the band have consistently been moving up from the bottom of the ladder in the 4th section, To now being in amongst the top 4th section bands in the country, !

A great achievement and one i am very proud of everyone for attaining

Iain Fleming
16.11.2007, 10:01
I would like to nominate Whitburn Band because even with severe financial challenges the band works very hard and turns in high quality performances - in cencerts and contest.
We also have a good chance to be in the top ten by the end of the year.

Come on the burnie!!!

Jason Poulston Percussion
20.11.2007, 14:18
I thought I should mention brighouse in this list,

Yorkshire Area Champions
Whit Friday Champions 2006 & 2007
Brass in Concert Champions 2006 & 2007

Anyone agree?

Masterblaster jnr
20.11.2007, 21:17
I thought I should mention brighouse in this list,

Yorkshire Area Champions
Whit Friday Champions 2006 & 2007
Brass in Concert Champions 2006 & 2007

Anyone agree?

Is it not band of THIS year.

but no, i agree

Jason Poulston Percussion
21.11.2007, 11:15
Yes it is the Band of this year, but I was showing our consistancy! LOL!

Masterblaster jnr
21.11.2007, 13:57
Fair enough

flugtastic
21.11.2007, 16:25
My Nomination would have to be Uppermill Band.... Over the last 3 years the band have consistently been moving up from the bottom of the ladder in the 4th section, To now being in amongst the top 4th section bands in the country, !

Is it not band of THIS year.

but no, i agree

hmmmm:rolleyes:

Masterblaster jnr
21.11.2007, 16:38
How do you mean "Hmmmm.......":rolleyes: :dunno

flugtastic
21.11.2007, 16:47
well is the award for band of the year or over the last 3 years? In your original post at says "during the last 12 months." just a random thought after Masterblaster jnr bought it up :D

Masterblaster jnr
21.11.2007, 16:56
I suppose in defence to those TMPers who said about the last three years, it could be the climax of their progress.

In fact, i think i used it in my nomination, stupid me:hammer

flugtastic
21.11.2007, 17:02
I suppose in defence to those TMPers who said about the last three years, it could be the climax of their progress.

I wasnt going against them i was just wondering if it was over the last 12 months or longer because if i had known it was longer i could have gone back over the last 18 months for denton then there would be a lot more that i could write. :)

marchris6047
27.11.2007, 19:22
hmmmm:rolleyes:

I would have thought it was common knowledge to most in the 4th section that this year uppermill has won nearly every contest its entered, and the previous 2 years remark was just to show our consistency.. So yes this is for an award for this year !! Ermm :confused:thats why i put us forward for it This year..

flugtastic
27.11.2007, 20:26

now it may just be me but im a bit confused! (it doesnt take much :biggrin: ) you say in this post (quote) you have been movin up from the bottom of the ladder in the 4th section, but in the post (above) you say "previous 2 years remark was just to show our consistency" now looking back uppermill won most of the contests they entered in 05 (particularly remember this year as you were playing a favourite piece of mine TRYPTICH) and 06 so are you saying you are putting the band forward for consistency in winning or moving up from the bottom of the fourth section to the top? just to clarify for me please :)

marchris6047
27.11.2007, 21:46
now it may just be me but im a bit confused! (it doesnt take much :biggrin: ) you say in this post (quote) you have been movin up from the bottom of the ladder in the 4th section, but in the post (above) you say "previous 2 years remark was just to show our consistency" now looking back uppermill won most of the contests they entered in 05 (particularly remember this year as you were playing a favourite piece of mine TRYPTICH) and 06 so are you saying you are putting the band forward for consistency in winning or moving up from the bottom of the fourth section to the top? just to clarify for me please :)

Vicky, This is an Opportunity for every member of the brass band movement to put there band forward for nomination.. As they believe they deserve to be considered !!!! to hopefully win it for the YEAR 2007...

In Layman's Terms.. I believe that we have been doing exceptionally well over the last 3 years and this (2007) year i believe we deserve to be considered for the number one spot hopefully...

Why you always have to make a mountain out of a mole hill is beyond me:confused:

the Nomination is for 2007... and as were in 2007 that is all i am putting the band forward for... self explanatory really

flugtastic
27.11.2007, 23:36
Vicky, This is an Opportunity for every member of the brass band movement to put there band forward for nomination.. As they believe they deserve to be considered !!!! to hopefully win it for the YEAR 2007...

In Layman's Terms.. I believe that we have been doing exceptionally well over the last 3 years and this (2007) year i believe we deserve to be considered for the number one spot hopefully...

Why you always have to make a mountain out of a mole hill is beyond me:confused:

the Nomination is for 2007... and as were in 2007 that is all i am putting the band forward for... self explanatory really

Im not sayin the band cant be put forward for noination, everybody has equal opertunities (sorry for spelling).
You completly contradicted yourself in two different posts and i as well as others were confused about it. I just dont understand how you can be winning every contest but yet stil working your way up from the bottom of the 4th section? now how thats ALWAYS makin a mountain out of a mole hill is beyond me:confused:

dyl
27.11.2007, 23:46
Ok folks - can we stop this now please. This is a nominations thread - we've asked for nominations and for reasons behind those nominations - so can we leave it at that please so that others have the chance of making their own nominations, without them getting lost between an argument. If anyone doesn't agree with a particular nomination, then provided that nomination is carried through to the final vote - then just don't vote for it!

Masterblaster jnr
27.11.2007, 23:52
Well put

marchris6047
28.11.2007, 00:00
Im not sayin the band cant be put forward for noination, everybody has equal opertunities (sorry for spelling).
You completly contradicted yourself in two different posts and i as well as others were confused about it. I just dont understand how you can be winning every contest but yet stil working your way up from the bottom of the 4th section? now how thats ALWAYS makin a mountain out of a mole hill is beyond me

Ermmm yeh...:confused: seems its falling on deaf ears that you cant understand that we have done well for the last 3 years, which include 2007 and the 2 years Prior to it 2006 and 2005 and as this has been our BEST YEAR YET 2007 just to clarify!!! i believe we should be included... and yes over the last 3 years we have moved from the bottom of the 4th section to being 1 of the few at the top !! Sorry Mods for going off topic but feel that i need to clear this up for this Flugtastic... Back on topic.....

For the year 2007 i believe we should be considered for the title

flugtastic
28.11.2007, 00:12
Well your band has done well over the last 4 year! i no qualifying for the finals twice in 4 years is a great archievement for any band!
i would have never have said you were in the bottom of the fourth section you have always been a good band as far as im concerned.
There's no need for the sarcastic comments is there, just because i didn't understand a point you were trying to make.
If you have any more things to say PM me as not to used this thread.

WoodenFlugel
28.11.2007, 01:02
Folks - last chance. I repeat Dyl's earlier post, this is not the place to argue over the rights and wrongs of a particular nomination - it is a nomination thread and that's it. Please keep it to nomination posts only.

This is the second warning in the space of a couple of hours, any further posts ignoring this and Dyl's previous warning will be deleted immediately and further action may be taken.

Lets keep this thread to nominations for an award for all bands of all standards regardless of their standing in the National Gradings.

Thanks.

Ian

Anno Draconis
28.11.2007, 09:59
I'd like to nominate Middleton for a year of almost unparallelled success; The year started with the release of our 2nd CD, then 2nd at the area followed by a win at Tameside which made us the local association's 2nd section Champion Band (I forget which association, sorry) and led to a local promotion to the Championship section. This was followed by SIX prizes at Whit Friday and we recently rounded the year off by becoming 3rd section National Champions only 6 weeks after changing MD.

An awesome year for a great band. Well done guys :clap:

cornetshell
28.11.2007, 18:02
I would like to nominate Wellington (Telford) Brass band, for their sucess - not just this year but the last 6...

from 8 players when i joined(and non-contesting), through 4th section (gaining a 2nd, then 1st consecutively at the regional areas) and who are now a strong and promising 3rd section band. Well done to all the players and the people behind the scenes who keep this band moving in the right direction... Also their very talented MD!!

:)

dyl
30.11.2007, 00:03
I'll nominate the Cory Band - not only for finally capturing the Open back this year after so many near-misses in the last few years, but for their recent release of Karl Jenkins' arrangements in 'This Land of Ours' - not only representing the best in Welsh traditional music, but being able to, through various promotional activities on national television and radio, to promote brass bands to the masses.

meandmycornet
01.12.2007, 15:20
I would like to nominate the South Molton Junior Band! :D

They may only be a little band... and they may only be aged between 8 and 14.... but this year has been brilliant for them! They've only been together for 18 months, having been set up in June last year, and some have been playing even less that that!

They have 100% attendance at almost every single rehearsal (can't be many bands that can say that!) and they all practice very hard in between rehearsals (can't be many bands that can say that either!) they have been recently enjoyed having the senior band play with them for the last 15 minutes of their rehearsal, and they always enjoy their 'Longest Note Competition'!

They have been to two contests this year, Bideford Solo and Quartet Contest and Launceston Solo and Quartet Contest, they came 2nd in the Ensemble section at Launceston, playing 2 of their favourite and most well rehearsed pieces the Clough Top March and The Moston Waltz, we were so proud of them!

Not long after their contests they were all on parade for the town carnival, mayor's parade and rememberance parade (after lots of weeks of marching practice!) and were a real credit to the band, with impeccable marching!

They are currently preparing for the Candleight Christmas Concert where they will be playing three new chrismassy pieces and I know everyone will be looking forward to hearing their progress!

I think they really deserve the award, as they are the future of the banding movement, and really are true stars! I'm very proud of them, and really miss not being able to go to rehearsal every week!

Millsy
01.12.2007, 23:16
I also would like to nominate Uppermill

Reasons as follows:-
February 07 Preston:- 7th (3rd Section)
March 07 Blackpool North West Area:- 2nd and qualified for the National Finals (4th Section National)
March 07 Tameside:- 3rd (3rd Section)
April 07 Buxton:- 1st (4th Section)
May 07 Boarshurst March Contest:- 1st (4th Section)
June 07 Whit Friday:- 9 contests with 10 prizes in excess of 700
June 07 Holmfirth:- 1st (4th Section)
June 07 Marsden March Contest:- 1st (4th Section)
October 07 Harrogate National Finals:- 12th?????? (4th Section)
November 07 Pontins:- 1st (4th Section)

The above meant that Uppermill have in excess of 3,500 in prize money (yes i know 4br says otherwise but a result was missed off from Whit Friday - therefore that puts them joint 15th in th earnings chart)- it should be noted that the other 14 bands above Uppermill are in the Championship or 1st section.

All this and they still found time to build and relocate bandrooms!!!!!

Truly a remarkable team acheivment

Well done to all of you, you should be proud of yourselves - long may it continue.

Regards
Millsy