PDA

View Full Version : Trio

Veri
01.09.2007, 19:04
Can anyone answer this random question for me? I asked a friend and apparently it has also been bugging him for years.

In marches, where 2/3 of the way through, there is always a bit called a "trio". Why is it called a trio? Am I missing something really obvious? Generally there are more than 3 people playing...

brassneck
01.09.2007, 19:19
It's when the third primary melody is used in the march, after the first and second strains and usually modulates to the sub-dominant key (i.e., adding one flat).

QAD
01.09.2007, 19:25
Can anyone answer this random question for me? I asked a friend and apparently it has also been bugging him for years.

In marches, where 2/3 of the way through, there is always a bit called a "trio". Why is it called a trio? Am I missing something really obvious? Generally there are more than 3 people playing...

The trio isn't normally 2/3rds of the way through if you follow the DC or DS indications.
The trio is the central section of a minuet, scherzo or march usually in contrast to the first section (and its repeat as DC and DS).
Its called the trio because it was originally written in three-part harmony in the early classical period, therefore, as a trio.
Of course these days its four-part harmony or more. I can't think of one original brass band March that has a three-part harmony trio but I'd glad to be informed of one that has (and I don't mean arrangements from the common practice period).

Hope this helps
Huw