PDA

View Full Version : Major theMouthPiece.com announcement.......

TheMusicMan
24.01.2003, 01:24
Hi Folks

http://www.themouthpiece.com/images/theevent.png

As some of you will know by now I am always happy to receive suggestions as to how I can improve theMouthPiece.com and I have indeed received many super suggestions during these first two months such as: the look and feel, additional functionality, chat room functions etc. and I will be adding these functions in due course.

However, right now I would like to announce a major, exciting initiative from theMouthPiece.com - it's early days yet and there's loads to arrange but I feel now is the time... so here goes!!!

I am hoping to generate enough interest from our current membership to hold the first theMouthPiece.com event. This will be a charity band concert hopefully sometime later this year - September/October time. The 'band' will comprise members of theMouthPiece.com and the only pre-requisite for being able to play therefore is that I ask that you are a registered member of theMouthPiece.com

I am presently putting together an event organising team and we will be meeting up within a week or two to discuss how to move the idea forward and to start putting initial ideas together. I will be posting regular updates as to how the organisation is progressing, and as soon as we have the team finalised I'll certainly let you know. Once we have held this first meeting and have decided on a certain plan of attack, we will be adding a feature on the forum where members of theMouthPiece.com can inform and register their interest in playing at the event.

I admit that there's a lot of organising to sort out, and it is early days yet - but both I and the current members of the organising team are 100% committed and tremendously enthusiastic about this event, and we would ask everyone for their support when we get this event off the ground. We think it could be a fantastic experience. Look out for an update e-mail in a few weeks.

Thanks
John

PeterBale
24.01.2003, 09:04
Seems a great idea, if a suitable location can be found. From the postings on the "what instrument do you play" it looks as if you could just about fill a band with BBb bass and baritone players!

WhatSharp?
24.01.2003, 09:17
Seems a great idea, if a suitable location can be found. From the postings on the "what instrument do you play" it looks as if you could just about fill a band with BBb bass and baritone players!

Not to mention about 8 Sop players!
(think I'll go play 3rd cornet!)

bigcol
24.01.2003, 09:55
After a discussion on a previous thread, the only location for this could be Harrogate!!

satchmo shaz
24.01.2003, 14:55
sounds great, how many MDs have you got !!

EIBB_Ray
24.01.2003, 16:16
Perhaps you could hold it in Finland and thereby fulfill the need that's been identified on the other post :wink:

cornetgirl
24.01.2003, 19:16
After a discussion on a previous thread, the only location for this could be Harrogate!!

Definitely!!!! - Not as far for me to travel for a start... and we have a rather nice bandroom as well!!!!

R

gorgeous_bari!_player
24.01.2003, 19:22
i think that if this event could go ahead it would be wonderfull :!: :tup :!:

it would be amazing to get so many players, from so many different bands and areas together would be uterly amizing and all through the "infinate" wonders of the www!!!
:D :P :D :P :D :P :D :P :D :P :D

TheMusicMan
24.01.2003, 19:56
i think that if this event could go ahead it would be wonderfull :!: :tup :!:

it would be amazing to get so many players, from so many different bands and areas together would be uterly amizing and all through the "infinate" wonders of the www!!!
:D :P :D :P :D :P :D :P :D :P :D

This is exactly what I want to achieve gorgeous_bari!_player - and I'm 100% committed to making it happen....

sparkling_quavers
24.01.2003, 20:06
Nice to see we are getting lots of interest already....keep it coming :D

super_sop
24.01.2003, 22:22
:tup :lol: :tup big thumbs up from me to, musicians from everywere comming together to play sound excelent.

Fishsta
25.01.2003, 01:33
"Music crosses all barriers."

If there was ever a truer quote, I haven't read it.

I look forward to this with EAGER anticipation.

twigglet
25.01.2003, 12:39
Sounds like a terrific idea, and you will b pleased to hear i neither play sop, baritone or Bb bass! :lol:

hornblower
25.01.2003, 13:04
Sounds like fun! And as a 2nd tenor horn player I'm not in the sop,bari etc bracket either! :)

Heather
25.01.2003, 18:09
What's wrong with having a band full of Baritone players????????
Great idea Music Man.

gorgeous_bari!_player
26.01.2003, 20:29
i agree heather - wots wrong with a band full of baritone players - we r extremly versitile and can get around ne thing (well nearly) :P

dave jake
26.01.2003, 22:10
Couldn t begin to imagine a band full of double Bs, all those corny jokes and sarky comments but it would be preferable to a band of soppy sops, :? :?

bigcol
26.01.2003, 22:39
No - you need the back row cornets so that they can be the butt of your jokes.

Aidan
27.01.2003, 10:44
and heres me thinking that the basses were the butt of everyones jokes...

sparkling_quavers
27.01.2003, 18:26
No - you need the back row cornets so that they can be the butt of your jokes.

:shock:

dave jake
28.01.2003, 00:45
OOH ER Glad I never take the mick out of cornet players, Sops don t count , do they? :D :D

bigcol
28.01.2003, 10:14
Nope they just count bars rest, split blood vessels, and beat everyone to the bar.

LU-Brasser
28.01.2003, 11:29
Sops don t count , do they? :D :D

What's count?? :wink:

davidsait
28.01.2003, 12:49
Sounds rather similar to Cyberband http://www.bandsman.co.uk/cyberband.htm but still a great idea!

Dave Sait

WhatSharp?
12.02.2003, 09:45
OOH ER Glad I never take the mick out of cornet players, Sops don t count , do they? :D :D

No we don't. We get bored and start ad-libbing after about 2 bars :twisted:

Anyone remember that sketch from the muppets where Dr Teeth and his band are playing this slow classical peice and animal doesn't make it......

neiltwist
21.02.2003, 04:18
Nope they just count bars rest, split blood vessels, and beat everyone to the bar.

apart from the bass trombone player of course.

:D :D :mrgreen: :D :D

Miss Fiery
25.02.2003, 00:40
Hey sounds great, and from the postings sounds like I could be the principal flug player.

Is there any one else out there?????

:cry:

BoozyBTrom
26.02.2003, 21:55
apart from the bass trombone player of course.

I thought it was written into the bass trom players contract to beat everyone to the bar.

Or is that just me :oops: :oops:

Aidan
28.02.2003, 12:54
Hey sounds great, and from the postings sounds like I could be the principal flug player.

i think foxy from fodens is around somewhere too :wink:
(and neil from faireys i think!)

Brian
07.03.2003, 17:10
sounds great, how many MDs have you got !!

Hey , if you could set up a live cam link, I could conduct one from Thailand, could be a "Record Breaker" if anybody is old enough to rememberthat programme..Brian

BoozyBTrom
07.03.2003, 17:13
Would Norris McWirter have to be there though to judge the record

stephen2001
07.03.2003, 17:29
Goto the Guiness World Records web-site and you can submit a reqest for a World Record attempt http://www.guinnessworldrecords.com.

That's all I've noticed. If someone wants to look further!!!

satchmo shaz
08.03.2003, 09:39
I think I can just about remember it Brian, ...........the web cam thing would be a good idea! :)

Brian
08.03.2003, 10:35
I think I can just about remember it
Brian, ...........the web cam thing would be a good idea! :)
Hey shaz, you'd be surprised what they use web cams for out here :oops:

satchmo shaz
08.03.2003, 10:37
hope you're not speaking from experience Brian! :)

Brian
08.03.2003, 10:41
hope you're not speaking from experience Brian! :)
Of course not :shock:

cornetgirl
08.03.2003, 18:17

And me!!!! Maybe we should have a flugel choir!!!! (Although I'll play cornet or hit things if necessary!)

Rach x

Keppler
08.03.2003, 18:31
I bags not to be one of the things CG hits..

cornetgirl
08.03.2003, 18:35
I bags not to be one of the things CG hits..

It's OK, I only hit inanimate objects (so that'd be MDs and trombonists then!!!! :wink: )

Rach x

Straightmute
10.03.2003, 15:21
It's OK, I only hit inanimate objects (so that'd be MDs and trombonists then!!!! :wink: )

Rach x

I promise to be very animated this week, especially in the fourth movement. And please remember to take your turn at the back of the queue when going for the troms...

D x

Valvecap
10.03.2003, 21:49
Count me in - Cornet Player - Anywhere from Top man downwards... Any help you need, yell.

I do know a good flugel...

(but dont tell cornetgirl i said that - i would never live it down)

D

imthemaddude
10.03.2003, 23:30
fab idea lets do it! But it should be held at the symphony hall in birmingham where else do the best brass players grow up from???? :P :D

cornetgirl
12.03.2003, 02:06

D

I hope you meant me..... or this could be the first tMP handbag fight online!!!! :wink:

Rach x

Aidan
12.03.2003, 18:50
il play...
but the old forum ran into trouble when they decided to do one, but never happened due to no financial backing

ComeBlowMyHorn
13.03.2003, 02:12
il play...
but the old forum ran into trouble when they decided to do one, but never happened due to no financial backing

Nadia, you're gonna have to fight for a seat against me :wink: lol my rendition of Variations on a Welsh theme will be a much more genuine interpretation than yours, being a genuine welshman! I even know the words!! lol

Aidan
13.03.2003, 18:32
haha :D i think we should audition as a joint-effort playing our parts from the 4 horsemen ;) ;)
or variations on a welsh theme up the octave again :D hehe, super G's getin!! well, thats if they allow you welshies to do it :) its tMP.com not tMP.baa
mwahhaa (that was a joke for all you welsh-people except arfon!)

p.s. if any of our teachers come on here... we do not spend our spare time playing variations on a welsh theme up the octave... honest
or trying to play vizzuti and arban studies up to tempo playing one note each alternately... honest.
think id better go!

sparkling_quavers
13.03.2003, 18:50
arban studies up to tempo playing one note each alternately... honest.

you do that for fun?! arban = torture

Aidan
13.03.2003, 19:04
nar, its only torture if youre actually trying to play them properly and not extracting the michael (or should i say "extracting the Jean-Baptiste") <-- soz thats well sad!

ComeBlowMyHorn
14.03.2003, 01:31
I personally find Nadia's tomfoolery quite immature, and have never taken part in such antics! :P

Oh and by the way Nadia I do not appreciate you playing in my kitchen and then telling everyone it's me making all the mistakes!!!! lol

If I audition you havent got a chance!! ha haaaaa but I could try and get you to be my official shoe shine! :wink: :wink:

HBB
16.03.2003, 20:39

D

I hope you meant me..... or this could be the first tMP handbag fight online!!!! :wink:

Rach x

Nah Rach, looks like Nadia and Come blow my horn are gonna have one too ..........

how about doubles ?????

Tell you what Nadia, I'll hold him down and you can erm ..... tickle him :? :? :? :lol: :lol:

Aidan
17.03.2003, 14:06
Tell you what Nadia, I'll hold him down and you can erm ..... tickle him :? :? :? :lol: :lol:

oi im not really a woman u know ;) !!

and laura... you are not very subtle!

neiltwist
29.03.2003, 23:56
has there been any progress on this? any dates or locations?

Mrs Fruity
30.03.2003, 00:11
Perhaps they could have a knackwurst fight whilst dressed as frauleins at Harrogate's German Evening---- SORRY -OFFTOPIC!!!

HBB
14.04.2003, 20:21
right... im gonna an avatar of me then.. and settle it once and for all :P

Wellll, you've sparked a new question now

Are you a male or female eagle??

jfenwick
27.04.2003, 17:13
I'm not in that catagory either, no sadly the percussion section.

great idea tho, would be a fantastic evening

Aidan
28.04.2003, 10:41
haha ben...
definately a male eagle. I didnt put the avatar of me on in the end.
If you look closely you will see that the eagle has just captured roy newsome and taken him to his mountain-top secret lair... :wink:

geordiecolin
29.04.2003, 12:47
I'm sorta guessing Nadia is actually male. The name AIDAN in the signature and the fact that AIDAN spelt backwards is NADIA sort of explains itself.

I assume you all knew this and are just having a laugh.

Aidan
29.04.2003, 13:08
yes.. ! definately a male!!!!!!!! lol
most of the ppl who were takin the whatsit are mates from college etc anyway :)
and i dont want to have to post a pic of my willy on here to prove it!!!
besides.. the pic would be over the file-size limit...

(insert humorous *beep*-takes here)

sparkling_quavers
19.05.2003, 02:01
tMP.com event: update!

As some of you know us mods spent the weekend last week in Sunny Wem with the lovely Wem Jubilee Band. Not only did we get the chance listen to Rogers 'hilarius' comparing, we also had a very long meeting (well done to themusicboy for sitting through it!).

Some of the original members will remember some mention of a tMP.com event to be happening in the near future. This was one of the main points on the agenda. You may have thought things have gone quiet on that front, but do not despair, us mods have been working like busy bees to get the show on the road!

What is themouthpiece.com event?
The basis of the plan is the chance for members of themouthpiece.com to get together and to perform. This will be a charity event in aid of the BBC Children in Need appeal. We have been working hard to make this as high profile as possible.

John, TheMusicMan, has been in contact with the BBC who are very interested in our ideas. Unfortunately the BBC do not organise the event until August. This means we cannot plan the final details until then but it was decided to post about the event ASAP. This gives us a chance to gauge interest and to give as much notice as possible to members.

Who can take part?
To take part in the event you need to be a registered member of themouthpiece.com. We will not be auditioning for places in tMP.com band, within the ethos of themouthpiece.com players of all abilities and backgrounds are encouraged to take part. Positions in the band will be decided by the tMP team and our say will be final. We do, although, reserve the right to audition for solo positions if we have a great interest in this. [Please note: members under the age of 18 will need consent from parent/guardians].

How much will it cost?
The event will be to raise money for BBC children in Need appeal. It will be expected that all participants have a minimum sponsorship of 10 (the bigger sponsorship the better!). As I am sure you will appreciate, It costs money to organise an event such as this. All sponsorship minius the minimum organisation costs will be sent collectively to the BBC from 'themouthpiece.com'.

Where will it take place?
The final destination will be a joint decision made with the BBC but we aim to make the venue as central as possible e.g. Birmingham BBC studios.

When will this all be happening?
The date will be 21st November 2003. Put this is your diaries....!

What happens now?
As i said earlier we need to gauge the interest in the event. We would be very grateful if you would answer the poll. Note: This in no way commits you to taking part in the event! It will just give us an idea of the number of members interesting in themouthpiece.com event. This poll will be open until the 31st July allowing to collaborate with the BBC during August to arrange the finer details.

Interested members will then be invited to complete a form to register their interest in the event. This form will be available to download from the site.

These members will be sent an information pack which contains
* Sponsorship form
* A copy of the rules and regulations
* Consent form

Members wishing to participate will be expected to return the forms, along with a cheque for the minimum 10 sponsorship to themouthpiece.comby a set date.

Hopefully this post will answer any questions you may have about the event. If you would like anymore information feel free to post on the site, PM or email me on rachel@themouthpiece.com.

Aidan
19.05.2003, 14:40
great stuff :)
sweet idea...
I think you should propose to the beeb that they record from symphony hall in birmingham..cos if I remember correctly the studios arnt all that big there... and tell 'em to get Paul Smith the sound engineer from beeb resources in manchester to record it.. the guy who does all the "Listen to the Band"'s (aswell as being my dad ;))

BoozyBTrom
19.05.2003, 16:28
Sounds good to me. Bit worried about whether my dad will let me go. :wink: :wink:

But what he doesnt know wont hurt him DOH!!!!!! its on telly.

super_sop
19.05.2003, 17:18
Fantastic.................
themouthpiece.com team do it again.

Big Twigge
19.05.2003, 18:13
Dear Mr Music Man & all of the moderators,
I have been a very good girl this year, so please can I come and play? I promise I'll try to play all of the right notes in the right places and count all of my bars rest correctly.

Lots of love Caroline

P.S No guarantee about any of the above!!!

PeterBale
19.05.2003, 18:20
I have been a very good girl this year, so please can I come and play? I promise I'll try to play all of the right notes in the right places and count all of my bars rest correctly.

Lots of love Caroline

But, in the immortal words of Mr Eric Morecambe, will it be "All the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order"? We'll have to see what Mr Preview has to say about it!

TheMusicMan
19.05.2003, 19:45

Lots of love Caroline

Dear Big Twigge

In the light of this formal request to provide your undisputed Flugel Horn talents to theMouthPiece.com event band free of charge, and, having now received confirmation of your exceptional behaviour in Wem Band so far this year - we have considered your request and are delighted to inform you that we accept your offer. Please ensure that your embouchure is fully prepared, instrument valves are fully greased, Flugel Horn is as polished as your performance at Wem Spring Concert... and you'll be well prepared... :)

Mr Music Man ESQ....

Big Twigge
19.05.2003, 20:47
Thanks Mr Musicman!! :grnsm

twigglet
19.05.2003, 21:38
As it was put so eloquently by big Twigge I can but echo her words!

Can I play, plllllllleeeeeeeeaasssssssssssseeeeeeeeeeeee!!!

:?: :lol: :?:

TheMusicMan
19.05.2003, 21:53

Dear Ms Twigglet

In the light of this second formal request to provide further undisputed Triple Tonguing Cornet talents to theMouthPiece.com event band free of charge, and, having now received confirmation of your exceptional behaviour in Wem Band so far this year (lookout wherever she ends up) - we have also considered your request and are equally delighted to inform you that we accept your offer. Please ensure that your embouchure is also fully prepared, instrument valves are fully greased, Cornet is as polished as your Solo performance at Wem Spring Concert... and you'll be well prepared...

Mr Music Man ESQ....

You wanna blow my what?
20.05.2003, 01:33
WHY HAVE I NOT SEEN THIS THREAD BEFORE?!

I think it's a great idea :D :D

mel
20.05.2003, 08:54

Would saying "Can I play, plllllllleeeeeeeeaasssssssssssseeeeeeeeeeeee!!!" work for me too, obviously not as a member of the twigglet family, but the same band as the twiggys. (Well don't get a chance, if you don't try asking)

sudcornet
20.05.2003, 09:51
Please can I play too......my valves are greased and my instrument is really shiny....well apart from the bits where the plating's c**p 'cos it's a Besson.
Sud.
ps. talking to "Yorkie19" last night and he wants to play too...I think he'll ask, but he's ever so shy.

TheMusicMan
20.05.2003, 09:56
Please can I play too......my valves are greased and my instrument is really shiny....well apart from the bits where the plating's c**p 'cos it's a Besson.
Sud.
ps. talking to "Yorkie19" last night and he wants to play too...I think he'll ask, but he's ever so shy.

Hi Nigel... yup, he's asked... not shy at all....:)

PeterBale
20.05.2003, 09:56
Whilst I would love to come and play, it's a bit difficult humping a BBb bass up from Essex on public transport, so I think I'll have to give it a miss this time!

TheMusicMan
20.05.2003, 09:57
Whilst I would love to come and play, it's a bit difficult humping a BBb bass up from Essex on public transport, so I think I'll have to give it a miss this time!

.. unless of course someone else from Essex is travelling up using own transport eh!!!

impycornet
20.05.2003, 10:01
Sounds like a fantastic idea.

I'm interested.

manx_yessir
20.05.2003, 10:19
great idea! count me in....please!! i'll even help fold the music stands away at the end if u let me play! :lol:

yorkie19
20.05.2003, 10:41

That's right, I'm a delicate little buttercup!!!!! :lol:

Sam

stephen2001
20.05.2003, 11:19
Yep I'll be there, athough sod's law will probably prevail when my department decides to put labs on that day!

Darth_Tuba
20.05.2003, 13:37
Great idea, I'll play.

twigglet
20.05.2003, 14:35
That's right, I'm a delicate little buttercup!!!!! :lol:

Sam

hmmm?! I'm sure you are dear.

It will be a laugh not only the playing side and the publicity for our illustrious leader's website but also the social side. Hurrah!!

sparkling_quavers
20.05.2003, 14:45
illustrious leader what does that make us mods?! :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

Keppler
20.05.2003, 14:50
unappreciated sidekicks.. ;)

twigglet
20.05.2003, 15:32
valued apprentices! :D

jinx
20.05.2003, 16:33
great idea...room for any shed builders in the line up? very well behaved....honestly....well until proved otherwise :wink:

sudcornet
20.05.2003, 16:53
it's a bit difficult humping a BBb bass up from Essex on public transport,

....and you don't want to get caught doing that!

hehe

Sud.

neiltwist
20.05.2003, 18:59
i'll be there if I can help it!

will anyone be coming from the north east?

tubatu
20.05.2003, 21:06
Definitely interested, but depends on the venue.

You wanna blow my what?
21.05.2003, 01:46
Yeah the venue will make a difference as to a yay or nay from most people I think!

cornetgirl
21.05.2003, 18:29
Dear Mr. MusicMan, and Mods,

Please pretty please can I be considered as a member of this illustrious group of talented musicians? I could play flugel (preferred as long as Big Twigge allows me!) or cornet, and I am very good at putting music stands away. In my bandmistressly capacity I can make sure everyone has shiny shoes and goes on stage in an organised shuffle.

Oh.....and I can also fix any broken teeth prior to performance in my capacity as tMP's official Dentist In Residence...

Yours anticipatingly,

CG

PS I'll bring Bunsen and Beaker too!!!!

Rach x

yorkie19
21.05.2003, 18:43
I've been instructed to volunteer LeeBarrie and SoloBaritone's service as well. Lee would have done it himself but he's busy (apparently).

Sam

geordiecolin
21.05.2003, 20:00
Count me in!!

Just as there'll be an emergency tooth repairer, i'd make a very good emergency town planner. yeah. right. ok.
*reaches for coat and calls a taxi

Big Twigge
21.05.2003, 22:00
Dear cornetgirl,
you're probably a milliontrillion times better than me so if necessary i'll play cornet (as always flugel preferred though!)
Am quite excited now, hope the whole thing is bigger and better than I am imagining....shame we've got to wait until November :cry: ...should be a giggle and muchos fun!! :lol:

IckleSop
21.05.2003, 22:20
Good luck girls and boys if i dont say it later,
hope i see you all around and about!!

neiltwist
22.05.2003, 00:12
obviously it depends on numbers, but why not have 2 flugals?

Nik_The_Insane
22.05.2003, 09:41
Really good idea this, and if i cant play, i'll just come along for some beer instead!

manx_yessir
22.05.2003, 10:07
obviously it depends on numbers, but why not have 2 flugals?

I thought as the event would be like a massed bands concert that their would be several of each instrument....won't there?? :?

picju96
22.05.2003, 10:46
I'd love to come, but it depends where I'll be...

sudcornet
22.05.2003, 11:05
Can I sit next to Mel...can I , can I ...pleeeeaaaase. 'cos she's my mate and she'll tell me when I've had enough to drink. :guiness
Sud.

neiltwist
22.05.2003, 15:47
Can I sit next to Mel...can I , can I ...pleeeeaaaase. 'cos she's my mate and she'll tell me when I've had enough to drink. :guiness
Sud.

that's always the sign of a good friend, and it's usually polite to deny the fact and carry on drinking, but lets not mention that eh! I really shouldn't have gone straight to the pub after my exam. :D

cornetgirl
22.05.2003, 16:12
Dear Big Twigge,

Let's both fludgelate the band to death!!!!!!

Rach x

andy;-)
22.05.2003, 17:55
Excellent idea - count me in

Andy
2nd :D 2nd :D cornet
Imps

Big Twigge
22.05.2003, 20:27
yeah! flugels rock :D

PeterBale
23.05.2003, 09:14

You shouldn't generalise too much - I know one or two who can play quite steadily when they try :lol: :lol: :lol:

davidsait
23.05.2003, 11:06

And me! Ok, perhaps I'm not quite in the same league............

Dave Sait

Kari Anson
26.05.2003, 22:23
Yep I'd certainly be interested in this event.

Have spoken to Superior Sop and he thinks that there'll be too much competition for a seat on sop so has politely declined the opportunity.

blondie
29.05.2003, 14:57
I would certainly like to play in a concert with loads of new people to meet, and think that this is a superb idea. Bring it on!!!!! 8)

Big Twigge (Caz), you and your cohorts have got nothing on me, with my Bass Chainsaw, I can go as far as making a whole audience cringe. :D

bagpuss
29.05.2003, 20:11
I'll be there!!!!!! As a percussionist, I'm proud to say I don't fit into the sop, bari, or bass category, but I CAN play louder than them all!!!! :D :D :D :D :D :D

Puss

Phil Green
30.05.2003, 11:32
I'll be there!!!!!! As a percussionist, I'm proud to say I don't fit into the sop, bari, or bass category, but I CAN play louder than them all!!!! :D :D :D :D :D :D

Puss

Don't bet on it! :)

If the event is in Brum and we're not elsewhere I'd be happy to help out if required.

Phil.

Aidan
30.05.2003, 16:44

You shouldn't generalise too much - I know one or two who can play quite steadily when they try :lol: :lol: :lol:

HAHAHA any imps people want to reply to this one ;) ;) :lol:

Darth_Tuba
30.05.2003, 21:46

Now, now Aidan!!! ;) Don't be mean...

JessopSmythe
30.05.2003, 22:41
Big Twigge (Caz), you and your cohorts have got nothing on me, with my Bass Chainsaw, I can go as far as making a whole audience cringe.

And thats just playing a hymn tune, nothing to do with volume :D

IckleSop
31.05.2003, 13:29
i'll play anthing but bass or trom :)

bagpuss
31.05.2003, 14:15
Don't bet on it!

I would, I'd put the house on it!!!! Ask Roger!!!

Having broken an 'unbreakable' set of bass drum beaters and nearly decapitated Roger when the end of the stick flew off and across the band, I think I'm prtty loud!!! Can play quietly too, just prefer not too!!!! :D :D :D :D

Puss

PeterBale
02.06.2003, 10:28
Can play quietly too, just prefer not too!!!! :D :D :D :D
Puss

We recently received a new arrangement which opens very quietly, including a pp side drum roll and bass drum stroke. When my son, who plays percussion, saw the copy (the arrangement was done by my father) he was quite put out to find that an exclamation mark had been placed by the pp, but only on the percussion copies :!: :lol: :lol: :lol:

leebarrie
03.06.2003, 20:43
HAHAHA any imps people want to reply to this one ;) ;) :lol:[/quote]

I couldnt possibly comment!!!!! :roll:

Mike Saville
04.06.2003, 10:49
Count me in. (Tenor or Bass trom).

Aidan
04.06.2003, 14:40

I couldnt possibly comment!!!!! :roll:[/quote]

lol, okey doke :D
i think you guys should do lightwalk.. then prepare for a laugh ;)

horny#1
06.06.2003, 12:59
WOW! We could have like a 15 man (&woman) horn section! THat would be soooo cool!

Aidan
06.06.2003, 17:22
we have 7 (seven) horns playing in rncm band at the moment for the next concert :D pure genius

horn1
06.06.2003, 21:36
we have 7 (seven) horns playing in rncm band at the moment for the next concert :D pure genius

I agree! How many can we muster on tMP??

Kari Anson
07.06.2003, 02:42

Pure genius indeed - looking forward to playing in the same section as you at Easingworld :D

neiltwist
07.06.2003, 04:17

Pure genius indeed - looking forward to playing in the same section as you at Easingworld :D

you wont when you've played with him!

Kari Anson
07.06.2003, 19:34

you wont when you've played with him!

Well Neil, this site gives you an impression of people so you have an idea when you meet them and I AM looking forward to being in the same section at Easingworld as Nadia and I'm sure that won't change at the end of the month after we've performed.

neiltwist
08.06.2003, 03:43
it was only a joke! :oops:

if you don't enjoy playing with aidan, then so what! I know for a fact you will, aidan's a good player and can lead well too. sorry, I didn't mean to offend anyone.

Aidan
08.06.2003, 19:17
eek :!: :!:
g'wan g'wan fight over me :D :roll:

Aidan
08.06.2003, 19:18
oh yeah...
cheers kari :)

leebarrie
08.06.2003, 19:26
Have you got sorted for some where to stay at Easingwold yet Aidan and our N.West buddies.?

Aidan
08.06.2003, 20:08
im not sure.. but i dont fancy staying in the same gutter as doran..

Darth_Tuba
09.06.2003, 11:25
Oi! You want a lift or not?!

yorkie19
09.06.2003, 11:42
No, I'd sorted seperate gutters out for the pair of them.

Aidan
09.06.2003, 13:58
nice one :)

trombo
12.06.2003, 14:05
Put me down for this, i AM A BASS TROMBONE PLAYER WITH cLIFTON & LIGHTCLIFFE BAND. EX MEMBER OF THE NYBBGB ABD AMEMBER OF THE BTS.
PLEASE LET ME HAVE THE DETAILS ASAP.
HAVE JUST FORMED A TROMBONE CHOIR WITH THE HELP OF THIS WEBSITE.
THANKS AGAIN.
STEVE FORD
HALIFAX

stephen2001
15.06.2003, 23:29
Any further updates??

If I've not already said, I should be able to do it, coursework and tests pending.
I can play either Euph or Trom.

Hopefully, it can be a chance for everyone to celebrate the famous tMP Scoutshead result!

Raspberry
16.06.2003, 01:48
What a good idea - parhaps we could feature the tmp brass that played at Whit Fridays and play Ravenswood? otherwise it would be a good idea to have a belated celebration. 8)

michellegarbutt
02.07.2003, 12:05
Count me and ChewyTuba in

Roger Thorne
02.07.2003, 12:44
Just to remind you all what the Mouthpiece.com
event is all about . . .

tMP.com event: update!

As some of you know us mods spent the weekend last week in Sunny Wem with the lovely Wem Jubilee Band. Not only did we get the chance listen to Rogers 'hilarius' comparing, we also had a very long meeting (well done to themusicboy for sitting through it!).

Some of the original members will remember some mention of a tMP.com event to be happening in the near future. This was one of the main points on the agenda. You may have thought things have gone quiet on that front, but do not despair, us mods have been working like busy bees to get the show on the road!

What is themouthpiece.com event?
The basis of the plan is the chance for members of themouthpiece.com to get together and to perform. This will be a charity event in aid of the BBC Children in Need appeal. We have been working hard to make this as high profile as possible.

John, TheMusicMan, has been in contact with the BBC who are very interested in our ideas. Unfortunately the BBC do not organise the event until August. This means we cannot plan the final details until then but it was decided to post about the event ASAP. This gives us a chance to gauge interest and to give as much notice as possible to members.

Who can take part?
To take part in the event you need to be a registered member of themouthpiece.com. We will not be auditioning for places in tMP.com band, within the ethos of themouthpiece.com players of all abilities and backgrounds are encouraged to take part. Positions in the band will be decided by the tMP team and our say will be final. We do, although, reserve the right to audition for solo positions if we have a great interest in this. [Please note: members under the age of 18 will need consent from parent/guardians].

How much will it cost?
The event will be to raise money for BBC children in Need appeal. It will be expected that all participants have a minimum sponsorship of 10 (the bigger sponsorship the better!). As I am sure you will appreciate, It costs money to organise an event such as this. All sponsorship minius the minimum organisation costs will be sent collectively to the BBC from 'themouthpiece.com'.

Where will it take place?
The final destination will be a joint decision made with the BBC but we aim to make the venue as central as possible e.g. Birmingham BBC studios.

When will this all be happening?
The date will be 21st November 2003. Put this is your diaries....!

What happens now?
As i said earlier we need to gauge the interest in the event. We would be very grateful if you would answer the poll. Note: This in no way commits you to taking part in the event! It will just give us an idea of the number of members interesting in themouthpiece.com event. This poll will be open until the 31st July allowing to collaborate with the BBC during August to arrange the finer details.

Interested members will then be invited to complete a form to register their interest in the event. This form will be available to download from the site.

These members will be sent an information pack which contains
* Sponsorship form
* A copy of the rules and regulations
* Consent form

Members wishing to participate will be expected to return the forms, along with a cheque for the minimum 10 sponsorship to themouthpiece.comby a set date.

Hopefully this post will answer any questions you may have about the event. If you would like anymore information feel free to post on the site, PM or email me on rachel@themouthpiece.com.

:wink:

stephen2001
02.07.2003, 21:20
These forms for 'interested members' haven't been sent out to people yet have they???

sparkling_quavers
03.07.2003, 00:44
Nope Steve they haven't yet. We will be closing the poll on 31st July and after then tmpers will have the option to download an application form to register for the event.

Don't worry I won't let you miss out 8)

Roger Thorne
03.07.2003, 00:46
These forms for 'interested members' haven't been sent out to people yet have they???

Not yet, so don't panic.

The tMP team will notify you on any updates as and when we get details. The information packs are being prepared by us this month and will be ready by August.

stephen2001
31.07.2003, 18:55
We will be closing the poll on 31st July and after then tmpers will have the option to download an application form to register for the event.

Nearly time!!! :D

stephen2001
07.08.2003, 14:12
Any further updates??

Tis a week past the 31st July, & I'm eager to know more :wink: :wink:

Keppler
07.08.2003, 14:17
In the process of getting material together at the moment Stephen..
All will be revealed!

IckleSop
08.08.2003, 12:18
Well cant blame the boy for the intrest!!

TheMusicMan
11.08.2003, 13:14
Hi Stephen.....

My mistake sorry.... we wanted to get some information together and post details at this time - but when we first planned for this date we didn't appreciate that we (tMP Team) might be away from tMP and on holidays etc... presently we have three of us away - myself included!

Thanks for your interest in this event though, and we will be meeting within the next few weeks to get additional information out to you & everyone else...

John

Di B
11.08.2003, 17:31
I would still be interested in playing... pref euph but if necessary baritone. If we are looking at doing this for Children in Need, I have one other question...... has anyone considered contacting the guiness book of records and see if there is a record for a massed BRASS band??? Might pull off even more publicity??? Just a thought - soz if its already been mentioned!

PeterBale
11.08.2003, 17:45
I seem to remember that Songs of Praise tried for the record a year or so ago, but didn't make it. I'm pretty certain it is quite a massive number needed!

michellegarbutt
12.08.2003, 09:46
They also tried for the record at Chester-le-Street Riverside Park (Durhams Cricket Ground) a few weeks ago. I don't know how many turned up but I can't see it being many. The idiots held it the day after Durham Miners Gala so most of the players in this area would have been in no fit state to turn up

TIMBONE
14.08.2003, 02:34
I once played the WILLIAM TELL OVERTURE with 30 trombones

WhatSharp?
14.08.2003, 08:52
Sounds like fun, but alas we are doing Aylesbury contest that day :(

Mike Saville
14.08.2003, 10:44
We're at Aylesbury too! See ya there.

WhatSharp?
14.08.2003, 11:08
We're hoping to do what we did last year, 2nd and Open sections. We had a good result last year 6th in the second :( and then 2nd in the open :D that was a suprise! we had a few after that one!.

jo
14.08.2003, 12:32
missed the poll but would love to play (time off work dependant) if you need any more shed builders :)

sparkling_quavers
30.08.2003, 10:49
Sorry Guys a bit late but the poll has been removed... A whopping 93% (58 people) of you that answered the poll were interested in taking part the event. This is great news!

Now just a little update to let you all know what is going on!!! We are currently confirming details with the BBC. Our first choice for location is the Pebble Mills Studios in Birmingham for the 21st November owing to it's central locality and good transport access.

Keep your eyes closely fixed on this thread as we shall soon be releasing the 'tMP event information pack' for interested parties to download.

sparkling_quavers
06.09.2003, 11:37
To try and make it easier for everyone to keep up with the information for the tMP event. I have locked all other threads discussing it and linked them all to here. I suggest you bookmark this thread and have a look at it every so often that way you are sure you do not miss out!

Sparkly

Jo Elson
09.09.2003, 22:34
First time I have seem this thread so save my tired little eyes can someone please give me a synopsis of what it's all about. (I hate to miss out on something fun!!!) :D

ploughboy
10.09.2003, 09:03
Just become aware of this project,
I'll play if I'm any help!!

Back row cornet/Percussion?

Roger Thorne
10.09.2003, 12:23
Quick synobsis:

Playing on TV to raise money for charity.

Friday, November 21st 2003. (Children in Need)

The Mouthpiece.com Band

BBC TV, Birmingham (hopefully)

timbloke
12.09.2003, 14:41
I've not read through any of this so i don't know who's organising it or anything and if it has been organised, but if you need any help, my brother works for BBC in birmingham and i'm sure could provide any assisstance. thought i'd let you know in case you need to. but sounds to me like you've got it all sorted.

tubatu
16.09.2003, 22:41
I've had an idea for the Children in Need concert, how about playing The Floral Dance with Terry Wogan singing along! :lol:

Roger Thorne
16.09.2003, 22:59
I've had an idea for the Children in Need concert, how about playing The Floral Dance with Terry Wogan singing along! :lol:
How about playing the Floral Dance WITHOUT Terry Wogan singing along.

Seriously though, it's ideas like this that could clinch the deal with the Beeb (or not as the case may be!) Keep 'em coming. Hopefully John should be in contact with the producer later this week. We'll keep you posted.

tewkeshorn
16.09.2003, 23:00
Just read this, this sounds soooo cool, a tMP massed band on telly :D Where do I sign up and add myself to the surely loads of horns you've already got? :lol:

Roger Thorne
16.09.2003, 23:02
Keep your eyes closely fixed on this thread as we shall soon be releasing the 'tMP event information pack' for interested parties to download.

tewkeshorn
16.09.2003, 23:07
Seriously though, it's ideas like this that could clinch the deal with the Beeb (or not as the case may be!) Keep 'em coming.

They tend to do a lot of comedy remakes of various things on Children in Need, usually involving celebrities.
The BBC could always get celebrities to recreate a scene from Brassed Off (with music supplied by none other than the tMP.com band...) :lol:

tubatu
04.10.2003, 13:50
Have there been any developments yet?

Di B
06.10.2003, 11:29
Quick question on this....

Any ideas on the levels of music to be played? I thought of mentioning this event to people in my training band. The idea of a massed band on tv would be a real buzz and give lots of motivation for the learners, but I wouldn't want them to feel out of their depth with the pieces or make a mess of it on national television (I'll leave that to the experienced players! lol!)

Of course, kids also give the cute 'aww' factor that the beeb will like.....

Maybe a brass band 'Last night of the Proms' style short set would go down well?? (Can you imagine all the euphs doing the cadenza?!) You could also look at doing the fancy dress option here too...

Hope these ideas are of amusement even if no help! :wink:

michellegarbutt
06.10.2003, 12:13
According to Roger in the random chat forum we're still waiting for the BBc to confirm if they want us. If we do go I think we should keep it to something simple so as many TMPer's as possible (kids included) can take part. This event is for everyone not just top players

Di B
06.10.2003, 13:37
I agree that it is for everyone, but I am on about beginners and learners here, not just young players.

Some would struggle with quaver work, some with semis, some with c#'s!

Unless we go on and play one octave of C major I know some of my learners will not be able to go, if we played Year of the Dragon I think none of them would want to go! - I just need to have an idea of the type of program we would be looking at and was asking for this to be made available once/if we have the go ahead. That way I can get as many of people as I can to go.

I also think for many players, the idea of learning a part before the band gets together on the day may be beneficial and give confience to those that need it!

One of the reasons I suggested proms stuff is because most people in a senior brass band (and some in junior ones too!) have played it at some time or another and most bands have copies of fantasia, jerusalem, etc and it is well known by the public. This is just a suggestion though!

Anyway, I am aware this is in advance of the go ahead, so I'll leave it there for now.

Roger Thorne
06.10.2003, 17:42
Any ideas on the levels of music to be played?
Having been put in charge of the music selection for this event it would obviously have to be kept pretty basic. I doubt if there would be an opportunity to rehearse an entire concert programme on the day so it would have to be music that everyone is familiar with. ie: Shepherd's Song, Memory, Slaidburn, etc.

As regards players from training bands, we did make a stipulation right from the beginning that only tMP members would be eligible to play and any junior players (under 16) would need parental consent. Again this will depend on how many the BBC want and what type of music they would like us to play. No doubt they will have an input on this.

Just to keep you all updated we are desperately trying to get a decision from the BBC regarding the whole event. John has been ringing constantly over the last week but they still haven't confirmed anything.

As soon as we get details you can be assured they'll be posted on here.

Kari Anson
06.10.2003, 23:00
Reality check - over 1000 tmp members, whittled down to potentially one brass band!!! I don't wish to be negative as this is a really upbeat site but competition will be stiff, just wanted to highlight the fact so that people can manage their expectations/disappointments. For those of us not selected we'll have to watch from home and be really proud of belonging to the tmp organisation.

neiltwist
07.10.2003, 00:27
Reality check - over 1000 tmp members, whittled down to potentially one brass band!!! I don't wish to be negative as this is a really upbeat site but competition will be stiff, just wanted to highlight the fact so that people can manage their expectations/disappointments. For those of us not selected we'll have to watch from home and be really proud of belonging to the tmp organisation.

it could always be a social too!

lynchie
14.10.2003, 13:06
sniff.... looks like i missed the poll! However if you're short of Trombones (doubtful, but hey, worth a shot!) I'd love to come along!

dyl
28.10.2003, 01:28
You may be aware that a further announcement has been made regarding the event. It can be located here: http://www.themouthpiece.com/viewtopic.php?t=3187

Please use this new thread to register your wish to take part - please try and make sure that this new thread is only used for this purpose.

If you have any questions regarding the event, please leave them here: http://www.themouthpiece.com/viewtopic.php?t=3197 and as soon as we have the answers ourselves, we will endeavour to answer them a.s.a.p.

This topic will now be locked so that we can monitor the progress of people's interest better in the specified thread.

Thanks,

Dylan.
Moderator.