PDA

View Full Version : How do you prevent hacking

premacyblue
13.06.2007, 20:50
Over the last 3 weeks someone hacked into my account and sent replies to bands I knew nothing about (I was on holiday at the time):(. Even my PM's were deleted so I had no way of tracking what I ( The Hacker) had actually replied to:confused:. I have now used a much harder password to crack. Has anyone else had a problem with hackers and how do you know who you've replied to so that I can apologize to any individuals concerned and is it possible to close down the site permanently? :frown::frown::frown:

NeilW
14.06.2007, 14:59
You may find that John has log information available to him that could link the posts to an IP address which would help figure out where it came from....

Worth talking to him!

Something I do (or don't!) is keep the cookie that automatically connects me from the machines I use: I put in my user name and password every time.

You're right about using a more complex password: not a "dictionary word", mixed case, numbers and non-alphanumerics of >6 characters is always worth doing. The biggest thing is not to tell anyone else what it is!

Another point: if you've used your compromised password anywhere else, you ought to change it there too, of course.

Neil.