PDA

View Full Version : Strange instrument names. Which is your favourite?

Dave Payn
13.11.2003, 11:35
Just a bit of fun! Toss up between sackbut and crumhorn for me (to quote Peter Sellers as Hercules Grytpype-Thynne on the Goon Show entitled Tales from Monmartre ----- 'Do you have a spare sackbut? Mine's gone out!')

:lol: :lol: :grnsm

Seedhouse
13.11.2003, 11:52
Think i'll go for Sackbut! Just has something amusing about it!

MoominDave
13.11.2003, 12:10
In a recent quintet concert, we played a collection of pieces from the Fitzwilliam Virginal Book, which the Tuba player duly introduced, putting the stress on the second syllable of 'virginal'. :shock: Ironically, we'd already dropped a piece by Samuel Scheidt because he didn't want to have to announce it in a church.

Dave

asteria
13.11.2003, 12:44
We used to have an ocarina group at school, basically just an excuse to keep out of the cold at lunchtimes and mess about with no teacher around :D

Personally my favourite instrument is the disposatone....

PeterBale
13.11.2003, 15:08
I rather like the "theorbo" when it comes to unusual instrument names, but there must be something particularly satisfying about playing a "racket" :wink:

Incidentally, did you know that the Ligetti violin cocerto, performed recently at the proms and on TV, calls for a quartet of ocarinas to be played by four of the woodwind players :?:

Dave Payn
13.11.2003, 15:12
I rather like the "theorbo" when it comes to unusual instrument names, but there must be something particularly satisfying about playing a "racket" :wink:

Incidentally, did you know that the Ligetti violin cocerto, performed recently at the proms and on TV, calls for a quartet of ocarinas to be played by four of the woodwind players :?:

Lurking somewhere in my CD collection, is an album entitled 'The ocarina is no trombone' with all sorts of music arranged for ocarina ensemble! Didn't know about the Ligeti. Thank you for the info!

I was thinking of rather a lot of instrument names to put on the poll and wanted to include 'other (please specify)' but this site doesn't seem to allow that!

cornetgirl
13.11.2003, 16:55
And don't forget the serpent!!!

Crumhorn for me though, every time!

Rach x

jo
13.11.2003, 16:58
My favourite has to be the tacet. mainly employed as a percussion instrument but occasionally used by other members of the band it is a challenging instrument to play featuring in many brass band arrangements :D

Accidental
13.11.2003, 17:29
Sackbut... makes me snigger every time :lol:

I like bombardon too - sounds so much joliier than tuba!!

Accidental
13.11.2003, 17:55
I actually thought this thread was going to be about strange names people give their own instruments.....so I started a new poll about that!
see Have you named your instrument?

Morghoven
13.11.2003, 20:16
I like bombardon too - sounds so much joliier than tuba!!

I have a friend who plays the bombarde, which is a sort of medieval (sp?) oboe, and nothing at all like a tuba. It sounds something like a duck being violated by a hedgehog. (not that I have personal experience of what that sounds like, you understand!!) She once got barred from a pub for trying to play this thing along to the Britney Spears track that was on at the time!

Dave

groovy
13.11.2003, 21:06
Sackbut! chuckle chuckle!

Does anyone actually know anything about it? I have never heard of it before, but it sounds rather like some primitive rural farming instrument made out of tattie sacks.

MoominDave
13.11.2003, 23:07
It's a Renaissance-stylee Trombone.

http://www.trombone-society.org.uk/sackbut.htm

Dave

lynchie
17.11.2003, 13:21
well, obviously have to go for the sackbut, as it's pretty much what I play - although it probably sounds nicer!

bigmamabadger
17.11.2003, 19:53
My logical choice would have to be the rebec, a kind of small pear-shaped violin, but I've always had a sneaking admiration for the banjolele, an instrument that manages to be 2 things and yet somehow neither of those things.
Try
http://www.s-hamilton.k12.ia.us/antiqua/instrumt.html
to listen to some weird stuff, including a zink :shock:
BMB

Trom41821
20.11.2003, 17:58
http://www.oddmusic.com/gallery/om08750.html

Thought people might like a look at this one :P