PDA

View Full Version : Official tMP London & Southern Counties Regional 2007 thread

Pages : [1] 2

Di
04.02.2007, 20:57
LONDON & SOUTHERN COUNTIES REGIONAL CHAMPIONSHIPS
Saturday 17th and Sunday 18th March, 2007
Arts and Leisure Centre, Stevenage

With grateful thanks to David Hobbs.
For further information (including grading tables), please see
http://www.regional-contest.org.uk/london/index.php?page=index

Section : Championship
Date : Sunday 18th March
Test Piece : Isaiah 40 (Robert Redhead)
Venue : Gordon Craig Theatre
Adjudicator : Dr Nicholas Childs
Draw : 1:30
Play Commences : At conclusion of presentation of Third Section

Participating Bands:

1. Alliance Brass : J.Clark
2. Aveley & Newham : N.Taken
3. Clacton-on-Sea Co-operative : R.Nunnery
4. Friary Guildford : C.King
5. Haverhill Silver : M.Ager
6. Kidlington Concert Brass : C.Underwood
7. Redbridge Brass : M.White
8. Soham Comrades : P.Finiby
9. Staines Brass : I.McElligott (WITHDRAWN)
10. Wantage Silver 'A' : P.Bailey
11. Welwyn Garden City : S.Tighe
12. Zone One Brass : P.Archibald

Section : First
Date : Saturday 17th March
Test Piece : Sinfonietta for Brass Band, ‘The Wayfarer’ (Eric Ball)
Venue : Main Concert Hall
Adjudicator : Dr Nicholas Childs
Draw : 1:30
Play Commences : At conclusion of presentation of Second Section

Participating Bands:

1. Becontree Brass : D.Bright
2. Bedford Town : J.Berryman
3. Broseley Brass MK : P.Fensom
4. City of Cambridge : P.Bassano
5. Crystal Palace : M.Gray
6. Denham Hendon : G.Davies
7. Horsham Borough : K.Maxwell
8. Ipswich & Norwich Co-op : R.Norman
9. Jersey Premier Brass : T.Pritchard
10. KM Medway : M.White
11. Matthews Norfolk Brass : D.Stowell
12. Northfleet Brass : A.Caldon
13. Regent Brass : A.Duguid
14. Sandhurst Silver : R.Burke
15. St Albans City : S.Garman
16. Stonesfield Silver : S.Jones

Section : Second
Date : Saturday 17th March
Test Piece : Carnival (Helen Perkin)
Adjudicator: Philip Harper
Draw : 9:00
Play Commences : 10:00

Participating Bands:

1. Betteshanger: T.Vinall
2. Capital Concert Brass : J.Morahan
3. Cawston : C.Swaep
4. Chichester City : J.Williams
5. Chinnor Silver : D.Pegram
6. East London Brass : D.Shead
7. Egham : G.Green
8. Epping Forest : M.Easener
9. Fairlop Brass : K.Jordan
10. Grimsdyke Brass : S.Broughall
11. Hitchin Town : I.Graves
12. Norfolk Wherry Brass : G.Barber
13. Tilbury : R.Nunnery
14. Ware Brass : P.Littlemore
15. Yiewsley & West Drayton : C.Cole

Section : Third
Test Piece : : Prelude & Jubilate (Darrol Barry)
Venue : Gordon Craig Theatre
Adjudicator: Philip Harper
Draw : 9:00
Play Commences : 10:00

Participating Bands :

1. BAE Systems : K.Woodger
2. Bradwell Silver : C.Johnston
3. Brighton & Hove City Brass : M.Hackett
4. Croydon Brass : P.Martin
5. E.P.B : D.Desmond
6. Epsom & Ewell Silver : E.Howard
7. Fulborn & Teversham R.B.L. : S.Anker
8. Fulham : P.McLaughlin
9. Hangleton : M.Pollard
10. L.G.B.. Brass : I.Stewart
11. Littleport Brass : N.Bramley
12. St Sebastian Wokingham : t.b.a
13. Stantonbury Brass : A.Jenkin
14. Thundersley Brass : K.Schroeter
15. Waterbeach Brass : J.Utting
16. Woodbridge Excelsior : A.Duguid

Section : Fourth
Test Piece : The Seasons, Suite for Brass Band (Philip Wilby)
Adjudicator : Steve Pritchard-Jones
Draw : 9:30 (First draw)
Play Commences : 10:30
1. Amersham : A.Duguid
2. Battle Town Band : J.Penton
3. Bletchington Silver : N.Hall
4. Broseley (MK) Development : D.Johnston
5. Chalgrove : M.Pegram
6. Charles Church Camberley : R.Cherry
7. Crystal Palace 'B' Band : I.Whittaker
8. Great Yarmouth Brass : S.Philpot
9. Harwich R.B.L : A.Sanders
10. Haslemere Town : G.Yarde
11. Hungerford Town : T.Crouter
12. Jubilee Brass (Oxford) : t.b.a
13. Kings Lynn Town : S.Ingham
14. Letchworth Garden City : T.Welch
15. Loddon Brass : J.Knight
16. Newmarket Town Brass : Les Ager
17. Oxford Templas Brass : J.Davis
18. Pangbourne & District Silver : N.Hall
19. Royston Band : S.Jones
20. Tadley Concert Brass : C.Chapman
21. Wantage Silver 'B' : D.Dulforce
22. Watford : M.France
23. Wolverton Town : G.Hughes

2nd trom virtuoso
24.02.2007, 15:25
23 bands in just the fourth section! Is this the largest entry out of all the regions? Les Ager (ex-haverhill) will be taking Newmarket (LSC 4th section) by the way. Good to see so many entries ;-) Gonna be a long weekend!

pdj
24.02.2007, 16:22
All the best to Verity and Stonesfield Brass Band in the 1st Section. I hope you do well:biggrin:

Veri
24.02.2007, 17:01
Thanks Pete. I hope so too, after a 2.5 hour sectional this morning, for euphs/baris, with me the only bari there!

CubbRep
24.02.2007, 20:45
23 bands in just the fourth section! Is this the largest entry out of all the regions? Les Ager (ex-haverhill) will be taking Newmarket (LSC 4th section) by the way. Good to see so many entries ;-) Gonna be a long weekend!
24 bands in the 4th in the Midlands.
CubbRep.:tup

Alan MacRae
24.02.2007, 22:17
I'll be helping out Nigel Hall at Pangborne on percussion, so good luck to all, and especially Nigel :)

TheMusicMan
25.02.2007, 14:08
Just so you all know - the tMP Predictogizmatron is up and running. Get your votes in!!!

Here's the announcement : http://www.themouthpiece.com/vb/showthread.php?t=26781

See link at top of page

Big Gav
25.02.2007, 14:26
Come on Jersey Premier Brass and Tim!!

DaveR
26.02.2007, 11:38
I'll be helping out Nigel Hall at Pangborne on percussion, so good luck to all, and especially Nigel :)

You'll have a good time there - they are a good bunch! Best of luck to me old muckers at Panggers! :tongue:

Texus
26.02.2007, 11:56
Any further news on the top section? Lots of rumours about the demise of Staines....

davidquinlan
26.02.2007, 13:00
Any further news on the top section? Lots of rumours about the demise of Staines....

.... another conspiracy theory?

Marlon Bando
26.02.2007, 13:06

I've heard that one of the guards bands is away that weekend, leaving Staines very short. Also, I believe some of their members have now joined Redbridge..... something to do with politics.

I'm also told Redbridge are having problems too..... not being able to get a full band, and loads of player changes.

I would suggest a clear Aveley win, followed by the two "professional" bands (Alliance and Zone1).

PeterBale
26.02.2007, 13:25
I'll be very interested to see how Zone 1 do under Paul Archibald, having heard them under his baton in concert last year. They've always had the potential to do well, providing they can put the rehearsal time in.

I wouldn't rush to write off Redbridge's chances, despite their disappointing showing at Skegness.

Texus
26.02.2007, 13:50
Trust me - having been beat by them 3 years running i never write off that band!!!

Jasonp
26.02.2007, 17:23
I've heard that one of the guards bands is away that weekend

Not that I'm aware of.

Also, I believe some of their members have now joined Redbridge

Only 2 or 3 have joined Redbridge from Staines since the Nationals.

Tim Pritchard
27.02.2007, 22:21
Cheers Gav
The band is working hard at the moment and looking forward to our first outing in the first section. It's a bit of an ask for a hat trick of area wins but who knows! We have just landed ourselves a bit of sponsorship so we can contest without using a credit card for the first time!
Good luck with Deiniolen.

MRSH
01.03.2007, 17:52
Any further news on the top section? Lots of rumours about the demise of Staines....'Tis true - Staines are not going to the Areas.

Texus
02.03.2007, 08:38
Is that confirmed?

MRSH
02.03.2007, 09:15
Is that confirmed?It's as confirmed as it can be from some Staines players who have re-registered with another band to do the Areas because Staines aren't.

Texus
02.03.2007, 10:05
Shame. We need to start showing some consistency down here. Both Staines and First City have shown the potential to hold their own for the Area in National Contests, only to disappear.

Ian McElligott
02.03.2007, 11:27
Yes, I can certainly confirm that Staines will not be competing at the areas. It's terribly sad as the band was really beginning to make it's mark both at local and national level. As to why some members of the band simply deserted after the Nationals is beyond me as no explanation has been given by those who simply upped sticks. Perhaps it's a 'Grass is Greener' mentality but it left a bitter taste for the remaining members (8 people turned up at our first rehearsal on the 22 January). No notice was given at all with the exception of one or two. However, the band has taken the decision to withdraw from this years Areas as we simply do not have the time to draw a band together. If anyone out there would care to join us, you'd be made very welcome.

PeterBale
02.03.2007, 11:37
Thanks for that official confirmation - I've amended the list at the top of this thread. I agree that it is a shame, as the band seemed to have a lot going for them, and I hope some new recruits can soon be found so the rebuilding process can continue.

JR
04.03.2007, 00:23
Shame. We need to start showing some consistency down here. Both Staines and First City have shown the potential to hold their own for the Area in National Contests, only to disappear.

why?

Anybody from London prepared to shed some light on this?
How can a band which played well in the Albert Hall last October just "disappear" - or am i missing something?

JR

Texus
04.03.2007, 16:08
My point is that good London Bands have proved that they have the credentials to achieve at a National level, but we seem to not sustain this year in year out. Only Staines' players will really know why they aren't there this year.

Lully
05.03.2007, 16:42
All the best of luck to everyone competing at Stevenage - especially Horsham Borough, the LGB budapest **** up crew ;) ,and the people i know at Battle! Did my first yorkshire areas at the weekend since moving up this way for uni - to be honest I don't remember much after we played due to alcohol consumption - but an area contest just isnt the same without the Tesco breakfast we always had at Stevenage!! :p

Will the Sec
05.03.2007, 18:08
My point is that good London Bands have proved that they have the credentials to achieve at a National level, but we seem to not sustain this year in year out. Only Staines' players will really know why they aren't there this year.

May I humbly refer you to Ian McElligott's inaugural post but a few posts pack?

I have a suspicion he'll know. :rolleyes:

Redhorn
06.03.2007, 10:33
Alliance Brass are also withdrawing from the Championship section, as they can't get a full band out.
Such a shame that 2 of the big 5 bands in the area are now not competing, and perhaps its endemic of the band scene in London- where people seem not to want to commit themselves to weekly or twice weekly practices all year long.
Still, should make it a comfortable victory for Aveley & Newham now!

DaveR
06.03.2007, 11:09
Alliance Brass are also withdrawing from the Championship section, as they can't get a full band out.

That makes a mess of my guesswork on the predictagizmatronothingy. :(

Texus
06.03.2007, 11:17
No Alliance either? This section is rapidly turning into a joke if two of the supposed best bands in the area aren't there....

JR
06.03.2007, 11:48
No Alliance either? This section is rapidly turning into a joke if two of the supposed best bands in the area aren't there....

...and what about the Blackpool weekend?
Alliance are listed in the Grand shield and Staines for the Senior Cup
Does this mean a re-shuffle and 2 more for the senior trophy if they don't show?
And how much notice are they going to give? - the area's quite soon isnt it?

Redhorn
06.03.2007, 11:53
Alliance will be at Blackpool! So many players are professionals, and it just happened to be that several had to work on the 18th. Its just bad luck!

Not sure about Staines though.

Chunky
06.03.2007, 13:01
Does this mean a re-shuffle and 2 more for the senior trophy if they don't show?

I think that is a great point. Surely if people, and who can blame them, have to take on paid work with about 2 weeks notice before the area, the same could happen again before Blackpool, depriving another band of a great opportunity.

However whilst I appreciate everybody has to work, the date of the area has been known for a year.

JR
06.03.2007, 13:04
Alliance will be at Blackpool! So many players are professionals, and it just happened to be that several had to work on the 18th. Its just bad luck!

Not sure about Staines though.

The area is on a sunday
Blackpool is the saturday
So the "professionals" are working on the Sunday 18 March but have got the saturday in May off (19th - and the afternoon of the friday to travel up presumably)
What sort of work do they do?

Texus
06.03.2007, 13:04
Whilst i don't want this to turn into an argument about the merits of professional players and bands - colleagues and friends - I find it difficult to understand this. Dates have been around for ages now. This approach to banding is weakening the area and its reputation rather than improving it, and denying opportunities for bands that rehearse on a regular basis.

Chunky
06.03.2007, 13:11
The closing date for entries was 20th January. You would assume (dangerous thing assumption) that when entered Alliance had a full band. Now less than 2 months later the Professionals have taken on work.

Whilst nobody knows individuals circumstances as to whether they need to earn the money or not. I feel sorry for those amateurs in Alliance who now are not playing at the area. I hope they make their feelings to those 'professionals' known. It must also be galling for members of Staines Band knowing that perhaps they could have used some of these players.

Redhorn
06.03.2007, 13:19
I think the main problem was filling seats.... and when it became clear over the last few days that this wasnt possible several of the 'professional musicians' within the band took paid work elsewhere. Remember this isnt a band that practices week in week out, but which specifically gets together just for contests.

As one of the 'amateurs', yes its a bit annoying- but nothing can be done now. Life goes on!

I know that the decision was not taken lightly, and there was massive amounts of work being done to get a band out.

So, rather than battling with the solo horn part I'll now be staying at home to celebrate 'Mothers Day', unless i get any other offers! ;-)

JR
06.03.2007, 13:21
The closing date for entries was 20th January. You would assume (dangerous thing assumption) that when entered Alliance had a full band. Now less than 2 months later the Professionals have taken on work.

So how can one be sure they've got a band for Blackpool!!
If I was Derek Atkinson or Frank Hodges (uber-efficient Spring Festival organisers) I'd be on the blower - pronto

Redhorn
06.03.2007, 13:23
If I was Derek Atkinson or Frank Hodges (uber-efficient Spring Festival organisers) I'd be on the blower - pronto

see parag.1 of my post just above yours.
I'm just the messenger, dont shoot me! :sup

Ipswich trom
06.03.2007, 13:24

Whilst nobody knows individuals circumstances as to whether they need to earn the money or not. I feel sorry for those amateurs in Alliance who now are not playing at the area. I hope they make their feelings to those 'professionals' known. It must also be galling for members of Staines Band knowing that perhaps they could have used some of these players.

Without wishing to cast aspertions, isn't this symptomatic of bands which are basically pulled together for the contest rather than a stable band that meets every week, undertakes concerts etc? I bet when Alliance entered they hadn't even thought about the line up!

Chunky
06.03.2007, 13:26

I think Redhorn explained the scenario for the area in his post above yours.

I would guess that they already know they have filled the seats for Blackpool, unlike for the area.

Dave I can't offer you anything for Sunday but you can be Cawstons Bass Section Official Beer Buyer & Carrier on Saturday.

Pay is lousy but if it stops overcrowding at the bar the rewards for everbody else will be magnificent!

Chunky
06.03.2007, 13:27
Without wishing to cast aspertions, isn't this symptomatic of bands which are basically pulled together for the contest rather than a stable band that meets every week, undertakes concerts etc? I bet when Alliance entered they hadn't even thought about the line up!

You cast your aspertions Mr Burton! All joking apart there are bands who undertake concerts in this area who do not know their concert line ups let alone contest line ups! :wink:

Ipswich trom
06.03.2007, 13:32
You cast your aspertions Mr Burton! All joking apart there are bands who undertake concerts in this area who do not know their concert line ups let alone contest line ups! :wink:

lol ! I know exactly what you mean. A couple of weeks ago they were trying to poach half our cornet section! If they'd asked we would have gladly given them a couple. :biggrin:

Maestro
06.03.2007, 13:41
Hmmmmmm, who could we be talking about here I wonder? :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Chunky
06.03.2007, 13:44
Hmmmmmm, who could we be talking about here I wonder? :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Wondered when you would chip in! Are you going to come and buy me & Pav beer this year or just keep me updated with the footie scores from your armchair?

Redhorn
06.03.2007, 13:54
The scores willl no doubt end..... Norwich 0! And hopefully Ipswich 0! One team in Anglia! Up the U's! I believe they're playing on the friday night!

Back on topic- I think the problem in this area seems to be that most bands (with the exception of A&N, etc) seem to be competing for the same 'rent-a-players'... and assume that those players will always be available to play for them... til they learn theyve been poached by a rival band! ;-)

Texus
06.03.2007, 14:08
Forever a London issue it would seem. When regular bands struggle to make ends meet week in week out. It also raises the question of gradings. I would be pretty annoyed if i was one of the bands facing demotion. What are the points implications for Alliance and Staines? They could both be in for a struggle next year..

Chunky
06.03.2007, 14:10
The scores willl no doubt end..... Norwich 0! And hopefully Ipswich 0! One team in Anglia! Up the U's! I believe they're playing on the friday night!

Back on topic- I think the problem in this area seems to be that most bands (with the exception of A&N, etc) seem to be competing for the same 'rent-a-players'... and assume that those players will always be available to play for them... til they learn theyve been poached by a rival band! ;-)

Another Friday night is fright night for the U's Dave? Anyway back on topic.

There does appear to be a large amount of rent a players around. This will continue of course whilst bands who can afford it continue to pay for them.

The only people that win are those being paid whilst the movement as a whole is the loser as bands fold simply because they cannot pay the going rate and put out a full band.

Chunky
06.03.2007, 14:12
What are the points implications for Alliance and Staines? They could both be in for a struggle next year..

I believe they will get last place + 1 (ie 12 bands compete they get 13).

Redhorn
06.03.2007, 14:26
OUCH id wiped last Friday night out of my mind! Still, we've got our 52 points now and should be safe for another season out of our depth!!

I THINK both Alliance and Staines should be safe for this year, unless there is a freak result elsewhere..... as already said, next year could be very interesting though!!!!

MoominDave
06.03.2007, 14:31
With a little assistance from http://www.regional-contest.org.uk/london/index.php?page=gradingd&year=2006&section=a

Scores going into the contest (sum of last two years, mean placing awarded for previous promotions):

1 A&N 3
2 Redbridge 5
3 Staines 8
4 Z1 9
5= Alliance 12
5= Kidlington 12
5= Wantage 12
5= Haverhill 12
9 Soham 13
10 Clacton 14
11= Friary 15
11= Welwyn 15

Assuming the 10 remaining bands play, Alliance and Staines will both pick up 11 points, putting them on 3 year totals of 23 and 19 respectively. So Staines will most likely stay up, but Alliance are strong candidates to go down, as only the bottom three bands in the above list could beat 23 points in a field of 10; suppose one of the last two comes bottom, they will have 25; then if the other comes 7th or higher, and Clacton come 8th or higher, Alliance are in trouble...

Texus
06.03.2007, 15:33
Interesting "points"...excuse the pun!
This could be one of the most open area contests for years.
Expect a very nervous + taught results ceremony!
Good luck all though.

Maestro
06.03.2007, 16:51
Wondered when you would chip in! Are you going to come and buy me & Pav beer this year or just keep me updated with the footie scores from your armchair?

I believe I bought you a beer at the RAH last year Monsewer Chunkee. Not my fault you couldn't be bothered to come and receive it :biggrin: :tongue:

HorniKaz
06.03.2007, 19:36
The area is on a sunday
So the "professionals" are working on the Sunday 18 March but have got the saturday in May off (19th - and the afternoon of the friday to travel up presumably)

Does it really matter what kind of work they do? I am not a "professional" musician, which I assume is what you are refering to, but a worker in the retail industry. I work every Saturday & 1 in 4 Sundays, but would on occassion be able to take a Saturday off for a contest as there may be more staff to cover. But I may not be able to change my Sunday as there is nobody to take my place. Also, the Friday afternoon off is not essential. Blackpool is on the north west coast, not a million miles away!!

I'm pretty sure that a re-shuffle can't take place, otherwise what's the point in saying that the bottom 2 (or is it 3?) go down & the top 2 (or 3) go up.

However whilst I appreciate everybody has to work, the date of the area has been known for a year.

The nature of some peoples work means that they are sometimes given very short notice, The guys who are in the army bands, for example, can be told that they have a job the next day & they have no choice!!

lewis
07.03.2007, 01:01
Ok, I apologise that I haven't attended the mouthpiece for an awful long time, but apparently Redhorn is defending a band he isn't even registered with.

It is with the deepest regret that Alliance Brass have had to withdraw from the Area contest. There are many factors that have affected this decision. We did unfortunately nearly have a band but were missing some key players. At this point I would like to add that this was a mixture of professional musicians and NON-professional musicians.

It makes me laugh, every time I log onto this site that someone seems to be having a go at Alliance or Zone 1 because they are 'professional' bands, but I'd have a bet that at the Areas last year they were the only 2 championship bands that weren't paying a single player amongst their ranks!

I'm absolutely gutted as band manager that we aren't going to turning out on the 18th but don't put this down as a decision that was taken lightly. Yes Alliance do not get together twice a week to rehearse but does that mean that we take the contest any less seriously? Whenever we go onto stage we are there to win. We haven't had the best run at the Areas in the last couple of years but if the points go against us this year because we aren't turning up and we get relegated, then so be it, we will just have to come out of the 1st section again.

Thank you very much Anromeda for your advice on running a brass band. Thankfully having been running Alliance since 2001 I'm getting to grips with the do's and don'ts!

It's a shame for the Area that Alliance and Staines have both pulled out in the same year, but I know at least one of them will bounce back (hopefully both). As for all your questions about the Grand Shield? Redhorn is only repeating my words that Alliance will be there. I say this before every contest and besides the Areas 2007 I've been right!
Lewis Edney

Chunky
07.03.2007, 08:54
The nature of some peoples work means that they are sometimes given very short notice, The guys who are in the army bands, for example, can be told that they have a job the next day & they have no choice!!

Karen, I am fully aware of what happens with army musicians, our MD is a musician in they army. Occasionally he gets a last minute job, but usually with a weeks notice. Next day jobs are more the exception than the rule. But I do understand your point.

My point is that the date of the area has been known for a year. Yes there would be the odd exception, but surely you ensure you have the basis of a full band before you enter in January.

Redhorn
07.03.2007, 10:13
But how many bands do actually have a 'full band' in January?? It seems rare these days! I know that the other top band in the area didnt, and have had to get a massive amount of new players in recently.... and are taking advantage of the fact that players registered abroad can also sign elsewhere (see todays story on 4br).
I know Lewis has tried been in touch with 10s of players, and it seems a thankless task!
Yes, we have a lot of music colleges down here- and lots of army musicians... but these guys invariably want paying! I also contacted two quality SA players, both brothers, very well known, to find that one has been signed by a Welsh band just for the areas and another for a Yorkshire band... again just for the areas!

Chunky
07.03.2007, 10:32
But how many bands do actually have a 'full band' in January??

This is going round in circles a bit. I did not state a full band, but the basis of a full band!

lewis
07.03.2007, 10:35
Chunky,

I fully understand what you are saying but I did say that we were very close to having a full band and have done since December but it's just ended up being a catalogue of problems and we were missing some very key players.

MoominDave
07.03.2007, 10:53
How many players is a 'basis'? 20? 15? 10?

The brass band situation in London is pretty much unique - there are a myriad fine brass players around every corner, but i) There are also a myriad other opportunities for them which generally offer greater musical fulfillment for a much smaller time commitment, and ii) There is a fair bit of money about - even not-so-good trombonists can expect to be offered paid gigs with some regularity. The combination of these effects means that finding players who are willing to commit to play at a high level with a brass band in London for the long term without wanting regular payment is disproportionately difficult. If banding were seen as a more prestigious activity than the alternatives, it would be higher up the pecking order - but it's not, by the majority of the potential participants in the area. And so, it is quite possible to have to organise most of a band very late for a contest. I don't know what kind of minimum confirmed numbers of players Alliance and Staines would have felt confident entering with in early January, but I would be surprised if it would have had to have been more than 15 or so. Is that the kind of basis that you were thinking of?

To some extent, we have the same problem in Oxford, but with a difference of scale. No music colleges [although Oxford does offer a theoretical music degree], no local army musicians (though our highly dedicated army-employed solo euphonium player travels from London for every rehearsal he can), but still the finest players in town and around tend to prefer not to clutter up their diaries with twice-weekly rehearsals and dodgy park jobs - there's too much else on that they'd rather be doing [usually the case for university students, for example], even though there is very little money here to be had for playing.

Chunky
07.03.2007, 11:08
Lewis, I completely empathise with your position. Being Chairman of my band I know that a decision like this is never an easy one and knowing your commitment to Alliance and its progress I am sure you only took this step as a last resort.

MoominDave. As for a basis I do not think there is an exact figure. It could vary depending on the parts you have missing and need to be covered.

Your post about all the other oppotunities in the London area is very interesting. The question is why are London bands faced with this lack of players at the top end.

Is it because music colleges in London do not encourage their brass players to play in brass bands? Whereas the music colleges in the North appear to focus more on banding?

I know of one young cornet player in this area who was told by his teacher to give up the cornet and just play trumpet as he will never make any money playing cornet! Perhaps thats where the problem lies, making money is being instilled into kids over and above enjoyment.

davidquinlan
07.03.2007, 11:09
In addition to what MoominDave has had to say about other attractions for players (professional or otherwise) in London.. you also have take into account the time may take to travel across London for rehearsals.
You have the choice between congested roads (which you may have to pay for the priviledge of "parking" on) or packed trains, infrequent buses etc.. and that's if the band you choose to play for are located close to transport links.

5 days a week commuting to central London to make a living and 2 nights a week commuting to band (more nights closer to contests) can get a bit much at times.

I suppose at the end of the day, it's about personal choices.. you choose to play for a band or not, you choose commute daily into a congested city...

It was all so much easier in days gone by, we wore flat caps, worked at th'mill or down th'pit, then went to band rehearsal in the bandroom / club located on pit/mill premises... :)

davidquinlan
07.03.2007, 11:18
Is it because music colleges in London do not encourage their brass players to play in brass bands? Whereas the music colleges in the North appear to focus more on banding?

I know of one young cornet player in this area who was told by his teacher to give up the cornet and just play trumpet as he will never make any money playing cornet! Perhaps thats where the problem lies, making money is being instilled into kids over and above enjoyment.

For advanced students at music colleges, who have chosen to make a career in music, playing in a brass band will not help with the mortgage/rent/food bills etc, it results in the player being unavailable for professional playing opportunities for maybe 2 nights a week etc etc

Bungle
07.03.2007, 11:28
I would have also thought the prospect of a weekend in Blackpool is more inviting to players than a day in Stevenage. Actually I could think of a lot more inviting things to do than goto Stevenage, ;) which is why I don't mind not doing the areas. And yes, I have done the areas at Stevenage in the sports hall.

Alliance you have my sympathies, it is very frustrating to get to an almost complete band only to be missing the last piece, it is happening to us getting a band out for the Hove contest. Having a date 12 months in advance does not help when players need to go in for hospital operations before contests or have to work away, all your plans get blown out the water.

You should be congratulated for what you are trying to achieve, who knows, some of these pro-players may want to join a band full time when they have more spare time, if they have an enjoyable experience. Some of your players may also be music students who may not have played in a brass band before, which might change any pre-conceptions they have about brass bands. :clap:

cornetcheese
07.03.2007, 11:56
This is something that gets my back up - what does it matter if there are band which have professional and amateur players in the ranks? This is something which many bands I've played/conducted have (even up in Scotland!) so why are Alliance singled out as a band of pro's when they have a similar mix of pro/amateur players as most championship bands in scotland have?

It's always a shame when any band can't attend the area because of player unavailability, but if someone has a clash with work which they can't get out of (whether it's a gig/business trip/etc) it's unavoidable. Newtongrange had to withdraw from the area for similar reasons this year after winning the Scottish Championships 2 years ago, but despite having a couple of pros, nobody up north is knocking them!

Perhaps I'm not quite used to this London banding lark yet!

Owen S
07.03.2007, 14:18
In addition to what MoominDave has had to say about other attractions for players (professional or otherwise) in London.. you also have take into account the time may take to travel across London for rehearsals.
You have the choice between congested roads (which you may have to pay for the priviledge of "parking" on) or packed trains, infrequent buses etc.. and that's if the band you choose to play for are located close to transport links.

5 days a week commuting to central London to make a living and 2 nights a week commuting to band (more nights closer to contests) can get a bit much at times.

I suppose at the end of the day, it's about personal choices.. you choose to play for a band or not, you choose commute daily into a congested city...

It was all so much easier in days gone by, we wore flat caps, worked at th'mill or down th'pit, then went to band rehearsal in the bandroom / club located on pit/mill premises... :)
Several very good points David.

Door to door, I commute 55 minutes to work, and it's about the same to Egham on Mondays and Fridays. I could have a shorter commute to work by moving job or house, and there are bands who are closer to home, though not by much.

Quite a lot of graduates move to London for work then stop playing. Some of it is the other attractions of the city and some of it is the travelling time required, especially with so few bands within the M25, but some of it is also that they can be expected to work outside standard hours at short notice, and it becomes difficult to balance this with rehearsal attendance, and with the need for personal practice.

That said, most of the bands in the southeast are based outside the M25, and while many players do commute into central London for work, most don't have very long car journeys to band unless they choose to. The roads may be more congested in the south east, but I don't think that's a problem exclusive to London.

WhatSharp?
07.03.2007, 14:26
Your post about all the other oppotunities in the London area is very interesting. The question is why are London bands faced with this lack of players at the top end.

It's not just the top end. It's pretty much all the way through and it's very rare (in and around london) that you'll find a band which can boast a full band. There is a massive player shortage in London at moment, and the withdrawal of two of Londons "top" bands is just the tip of the iceberg.

We recently lost a few players what with one thing and another, fortunatley we've more or less made that up but we were lucky, quite a few bands aren't so fortunate. It's very sad but I can see a few bands dissappearing over the next few years.

Not sure what the answer is, training bands help but most times as soon as exams come along the kids get pressured into dropping it and thats the end of that, on the plus side our own training band runs adult classes and these are proving very popular amongst those who used to play at school a bit and gave up.

PeterBale
07.03.2007, 17:39
The area is on a sunday

I know LSO Brass have a concert that Sunday, as I would have liked to have gone along ;)

PeterBale
07.03.2007, 17:59
Having caught up with the rest of the thread (after a couple of days with no online access :mad: ) I agree about the difficulties faced by London bands because of being in the commuter belt. I realise other areas will have some of the same problems, but I'm sure there is more unsociable working and travelling time in our area.

For myself, my journey to work takes 1h 15 - 1hr 30 each day (usually longer in the morning); for Hadleigh band practices, it means getting off the train 2 stations early, a taxi ride to the hall and generally a lift home afterwards. For Becontree, I'm fortunate in that I can get a tube straight from work, and generally get a lift most of the way home, before picking up a train for the end of the journey.

I can also vouch for the fact that Alliance explored all sorts of avenues to try and fill the remaining few slots.

lewis
08.03.2007, 00:37
I can also vouch for the fact that Alliance explored all sorts of avenues to try and fill the remaining few slots.

Indeed you can Pete!

GBH
08.03.2007, 01:57

I can, with first hand experience, say this is most certainly not restricted to the Championship section, far from it in fact. I had a horrible time trying to get any sort of band together for the areas (or indeed any contest) in the second section and know for a fact at least 4 other bands in the second section were in exactly the same situation (Denham, with huge credit to them, managed to come second fielding only 17 or 18 players and I believe they had the full compliment of 4 deps in that 18 too!)

My limited exposure to 3 fourth section and 2 first section bands would imply it's little different there.

Theres a lot to be said about the whole way the movement is still run and perhaps it still works in some areas but I fear the whole framework of registering with a single band, restrictions on who, when and what you play and the general disgust with the majority of the adjudication process (arbitrary, non-sensical, non-consistent) means people just don't want the hassle. Factor in the lack of grass roots playing and training and theres going to need to be some very hefty consolidation in London of many bands if any are going to survive the next 10 years.

G

Chunky
08.03.2007, 10:37
I can, with first hand experience, say this is most certainly not restricted to the Championship section, ...............

........My limited exposure to 3 fourth section and 2 first section bands would imply it's little different there.

G

Quite agree the problem is across the whole movement. At the moment though it appears that only 2 bands both in the top sectiom have withdrawn due to player difficulties.

Owen S
08.03.2007, 11:11
Quite agree the problem is across the whole movement. At the moment though it appears that only 2 bands both in the top sectiom have withdrawn due to player difficulties.
We only know of two withdrawals. There's no reason to think that all withdrawals have been reported in this thread.

Chunky
08.03.2007, 11:17
We only know of two withdrawals. There's no reason to think that all withdrawals have been reported in this thread.

I quite agree hence I wrote 'appear to have withdrawn'

WhatSharp?
08.03.2007, 11:29
Alder Valley have withrawn from the 2nd section ( Ok for withdrawn read "not entered" but same thing ).

Owen S
08.03.2007, 12:18
Alder Valley have withrawn from the 2nd section ( Ok for withdrawn read "not entered" but same thing ).
Alder Valley seem to have decided to convert to a ten-piece last December.
Check the details of their EGM under the news section: Link (http://www.aldervalleybrass.org.uk/)

ratley
08.03.2007, 12:19
Does anyone know who has withdrawn from the 1st Section?

K

GBH
08.03.2007, 13:28

I think my point was that 18 players don't make a full band. We all struggle on and hold on desperately to trying to get enough of a band together to compete but I know after 2 years of doing it I'd had enough. The thing is I know that many bands struggle to get 20 to a contest and 12-15 during non contest times. They make do and survive, just, but longer term there is no way that is sustainable long term. Moreso, we shouldn't be giving this false impression of the current state of affairs. Neither the number of registered bands or the numebr of players registered to those bands are ANY reflection of the true state of banding and I firmly believe banding, based on my limited observation, is in far more dire straits than the press and some of the leadership of the movement would have you believe.

Just to highlight that, 4BR's constant commentry on how borrowing players is ruining the movement when in fact for many bands its the only thing keeping them alive. Without borrowing players, many bands couldn't compete full stop. As for gigs as a tuba player I dep for 3 bands in London regularly (almost every if not every gig they have) through the summer months and another 2-3 intermittently and I'm often the only bass or the only one of 2. I can't believe this is isolated to just London though I'm sure someone on here will correct me if this isn't so.

I love my brass banding and I love the music but I really do fear for the future unless the movement changes and updates itself significantly in the next 5 years.

G

2nd trom virtuoso
08.03.2007, 14:24
Forever a London issue it would seem. When regular bands struggle to make ends meet week in week out. It also raises the question of gradings. I would be pretty annoyed if i was one of the bands facing demotion. What are the points implications for Alliance and Staines? They could both be in for a struggle next year..

I cant beleive Staines and Alliance wont be competing?! Thats very odd. Soham Comrades have had around the 20 mark attendance at rehearsals for the last 4 weeks or so, and will have the good part of a full band for rehearsals throughout next week so overall we are all happy with preperations although it does seem a struggle to get tuned perc players in perticular each year the areas come round, there simply isn't enough tuned perc players in this area!!! The way its always been, I think other championship bands in and around East Anglia find it hard to find them as well? We will be putting on a very strong performance next week though with any luck! Got some quality soloists/players on every end chair.

Matt

Redhorn
08.03.2007, 15:22
But even you at Soham have brought in players particularly for the areas! ;-)

2nd trom virtuoso
08.03.2007, 15:29
But even you at Soham have brought in players particularly for the areas! ;-)

haha yeah we have! :-P But we've had a reasonably solid core of players throughout the past year and have been forward thinking, we wouldn't have entered had we have known we would struggle to get players! But this year the band has expanded alot compared with the last few years with many more registered players, with 2+ more players joining after the areas (inc a perc player) who will be with us on a full time basis. This is why we will be giving it everything to stay in the champ section this year and hopefully fingers crossed get rewarded for all the hard work we've put in this last month or so, like every other band! In comparison with last year, this year is looking up! :D :-P East Anglia needs representation in the championship section! ;-)

andywooler
08.03.2007, 16:26

So, my band, Mid Sussex Brass, have also not entered - does that mean we too have "withdrawn"? Not the same thing at all.

WhatSharp?
08.03.2007, 20:32
So, my band, Mid Sussex Brass, have also not entered - does that mean we too have "withdrawn"? Not the same thing at all.

Did you compete last year? because Alder Valley did and the discussion was about which bands have ceased to compete this year due to player shortages. Reading the Alder Valley website this is why they have not entered this year ( which is a shame ).

Owen S
08.03.2007, 20:40
Check the provisional gradings table, Andy:
Link (http://www.regional-contest.org.uk/london/index.php?page=prelim_grading)

There are "non-entries" in other sections too, Colchester in the first and Hilgay in the third. There are five non-entries in the fourth, though it's true that many southern fourth section bands aren't that committed to playing the qualifiers every year.

Honestly though, the only difference between non-entries and withdrawals is that the band concerned have made the decision not to play earlier, whatever the reason might be that means they're not playing.

lewis
09.03.2007, 02:03
haha yeah we have! :-P But we've had a reasonably solid core of players throughout the past year and have been forward thinking, we wouldn't have entered had we have known we would struggle to get players! But this year the band has expanded alot compared with the last few years with many more registered players, with 2+ more players joining after the areas (inc a perc player) who will be with us on a full time basis. This is why we will be giving it everything to stay in the champ section this year and hopefully fingers crossed get rewarded for all the hard work we've put in this last month or so, like every other band! In comparison with last year, this year is looking up! :D :-P East Anglia needs representation in the championship section! ;-)

Congratulations Soham on fielding a band!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I wrote on here to apologise that we couldn't field a band not to see other bands bragging that they have!

Why do we need to hear about your band being able to go? If every band did that this thread would have thousands of posts!

2nd trom virtuoso
09.03.2007, 09:53
Congratulations Soham on fielding a band!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I wrote on here to apologise that we couldn't field a band not to see other bands bragging that they have!

Why do we need to hear about your band being able to go? If every band did that this thread would have thousands of posts!

This is a message board everyone is entitled to post on it if you have a problem with me or other people posting about the LSC areas go to the administraters

2nd trom virtuoso
09.03.2007, 10:00
Good luck to every band competing this next few weekends at the areas, Especially my old band, Newmarket, been a while ... 4 or 5 years since they last entered?? But doing very well :D GOOD LUCK!!!

Chunky
09.03.2007, 10:04
This is a message board everyone is entitled to post on it if you have a problem with me or other people posting about the LSC areas go to the administraters

Matt, I am not speaking for Lewis because he is more than capable of doing that.

However I can see his point. He and RedHorn have been explaining Alliances' position and several of us have discussed and contributed as to the lack of players in the area, without once turning it into a hurrah aren't we great promotion for our own bands.

2nd trom virtuoso
09.03.2007, 10:09
Matt, I am not speaking for Lewis because he is more than capable of doing that.

However I can see his point. He and RedHorn have been explaining Alliances' position and several of us have discussed and contributed as to the lack of players in the area, without once turning it into a hurrah aren't we great promotion for our own bands.

Not at all I just dont think the situation is as bad as everyone was making it out to be. We cant always talk doom and gloom, true, LSC needs more sustained bands, but this shortage of brass players thing in LSC isn't true at all, just some places are doing better than others, simple as that.

MoominDave
09.03.2007, 10:57
Not at all I just dont think the situation is as bad as everyone was making it out to be. We cant always talk doom and gloom, true, LSC needs more sustained bands, but this shortage of brass players thing in LSC isn't true at all, just some places are doing better than others, simple as that.

Different areas have different dynamics. Looking at the map, Soham is a village / small town in rural Cambridgeshire, with a number of other bands within a 10 miles radius. I deduce from this that there is a thorough tradition of brass band playing in the local area (note, not "brass playing", which is potentially a quite different category), and not much in the way of quality non-banding musical distractions for local brass players outside of Cambridge itself. Is my portrait accurate?

Urban London has quite a different story to tell, one that, from banding's point of view, is a tale of missed talent and opportunities. The crux of the issue is that the players that are "missed" often consider not playing in a brass band a better use of their time than playing regularly in one. The reasons for this are broadly twofold: i) There is a general perception (and quite an accurate one) of bands being more interested in playing very precisely / winning contests / playing tat in the park than making good music; ii) Bands' twice-a-week-plus-lots-of-dodgy-gigs requirements sit very badly with the way a lot of amateur brass players like to organise their time. Put simply, many players, good and bad alike, feel that they can have a better time with their hobby / profession if they don't get involved with a band. If all the brass players in London played in bands with total commitment, there would be a group on every street corner, and the best would win big contests with regularity.

L&SC is a big area geographically; we are in one corner, you are in another, and bands in Kent are in the third. By any normal definition, Cambridgeshire wouldn't be considered a "Southern county", but it makes for a better distribution of bands to areas if it is taken as such. Within such a large area with such sharp differences in population density, there are bound to be equally sharp differences in local traditions - so it only really makes sense if this particular part of the discussion is limited to banding in the city of London itself - citing Soham as an example of a thriving band is as irrelevant as citing a band in Scotland, say. I find the example of Aveley and Newham more interesting (though I have very little contact with them) - they appear to be a band based in the capital who maintain a high standard and a traditional banding ethos; no easy feat, based on the evidence around... How do they do it? I'm guessing it's a "luck" thing, down to the personalities of the people who happened to be involved - anywhere near? I've ""ed "luck" because the right approach will generate your own "luck"...

davidquinlan
09.03.2007, 11:14
I find the example of Aveley and Newham more interesting (though I have very little contact with them) - they appear to be a band based in the capital who maintain a high standard and a traditional banding ethos; no easy feat, based on the evidence around... How do they do it? I'm guessing it's a "luck" thing, down to the personalities of the people who happened to be involved - anywhere near? I've ""ed "luck" because the right approach will generate your own "luck"...

I know that Aveley & Newham have had to source players for the forthcoming Areas. I for one am not playing so they've had to replace me! [well, I assume so, as I've had no calls on the subject....yet ;)]
Yes, MominDave is right, you do make your own luck, but there is a core of hardworking people at Aveley & Newham that keep the band running along traditional lines. Hat's off to them, and best of Luck next week!
Yes, like other bands, they go thru lean periods, where full rehearsals are exception rather than the norm.. but the focus is on traditional values.

2nd trom virtuoso
09.03.2007, 11:59
I know that Aveley & Newham have had to source players for the forthcoming Areas. I for one am not playing so they've had to replace me! [well, I assume so, as I've had no calls on the subject....yet ;)]
Yes, MominDave is right, you do make your own luck, but there is a core of hardworking people at Aveley & Newham that keep the band running along traditional lines. Hat's off to them, and best of Luck next week!
Yes, like other bands, they go thru lean periods, where full rehearsals are exception rather than the norm.. but the focus is on traditional values.

Agree with you 100%, Even bands like Grimethorpe probably struggle sometimes regarding attendance etc but the thing that keeps a band going is how its run. A & N are a prime example of this for LSC. Probably one of the best run champ bands in the South East! ;-)

Ipswich trom
09.03.2007, 13:37
Talking of Aveley, I heard that one of their principal players left to go to another band in a different region on a lesser seat because of the offer of money and at only 3 weeks notice before the area! This is the loophole again in what was the transfer rule being circumvented by cancellation.

2nd trom virtuoso
09.03.2007, 14:26
Talking of Aveley, I heard that one of their principal players left to go to another band in a different region on a lesser seat because of the offer of money and at only 3 weeks notice before the area! This is the loophole again in what was the transfer rule being circumvented by cancellation.
Hmmm seems a valid problem, money attracting players etc. Shouldn't be that way but if a bands desperate for a player then they'll do anything to get hold of that person. Thats top tier banding though, happens all the time not just in LSC either.

Matt

davidquinlan
09.03.2007, 14:42

I am not aware of this, but I haven't been to the bandroom in weeks...

CubbRep
09.03.2007, 18:13
Good Luck to all of my friends at Sandhurst.Especially Francis,Pat and the rest.Saw Pat for the 1st time in over 20 years at Butlins and what a good result that was for you.Lets hope that you qualify just like my band at the Midlands area's.CUBBINGTON SILVER.
Best of playing and hopefully a good result.
CubbRep.......Repiano Cornet....Cubbington Silver.

Chris Kirk
09.03.2007, 18:18
Iíve just read with interest about the availability players in L&SC. I agree it is very difficult to fill those gaps, finding players of a capable standard is always a hard area. As a member of a band on the outskirts of London, we have always had a difficulty in attracting players, this is in my opinion is mainly a geographical issue, but we have always had players who want to perform and compete. Yes, we have a couple of military players (3 to be exact), the rest are all people who have no more than a half hour drive, ( myself included), but if you search around, be proactive and encourage people that the Championship Section is not the scariest place in the world, it can pay dividends.

Bands even in the Championship Section survive on the community and the ability to locate those players who have the potential to play a good standard of music. The bottom line is and sadly we all have to look for that little bit of extra to help in that quest to achieve a performance that will impress the adjudicator. But, as you all know, itís the music and a satisfaction that you have done your best and that when you come off stage you enjoyed yourself no matter what happenedÖ.if not give it up now.

It is to our advantage that two bands have withdrawn and given us a little lifeline, itís not over by a long stretch, ask me next Sunday about 7.30pm, but my band will still be there even if it all goes Pete Tong, we wonít give upÖ

Thatís my little bit sorry to blah on....good luck to everyone who is competing next weekend, mines a Kronenborg.

2nd trom virtuoso
09.03.2007, 18:55
I am not aware of this, but I haven't been to the bandroom in weeks...

Cliff Pask if playing with us for the areas on sop but as far as I was aware he had left Aveley on principle cornet way before we contacted him? He wasn't with them at the national finals last year, been about 3 or 4 months since he had left aveley! so not sure if Ipswich trom has got a little confused? hope that clears it up! Unless he meant another player.

Never realised this bands pulling out thing was as big as it has turned out, quite a few bands from Wales also not entering? Dissapointing. I am certain this situation varies depending on which area you are in.

Matt

Ipswich trom
09.03.2007, 19:08
Cliff Pask if playing with us for the areas on sop but as far as I was aware he had left Aveley on principle cornet way before we contacted him? He wasn't with them at the national finals last year, been about 3 or 4 months since he had left aveley! so not sure if Ipswich trom has got a little confused? hope that clears it up! Unless he meant another player.

Matt

Not confused at all thank you. If you read it my post said that the player had gone to a band in another region!

2nd trom virtuoso
09.03.2007, 19:09
Not confused at all thank you. If you read it my post said that the player had gone to a band in another region!

lol whoops. sorry!!!! didn't quite mean it like i put it :( I take it back

Texus
09.03.2007, 20:50

Well, well. Thats a shock. Especially to the poor full section that rehearsed in sectionals last week. Come on guys.....

Laserbeam bass
12.03.2007, 15:06
Oh well heres my 2p.

On the subject of bands not competing, (all future mentions should use this term so as not too upset anyone else) how many times has your band had to not compete through lack of players, lack of key players, lack of interest etc. I have always played in L&SC and have worked my way up through the sections (4th to 1st). It doesn't make a blind bit of difference which band I was in, there has been more than one occasion where my band has not competed.

For top bands not to be competing is unfortunate, but is a regular hazard of the type of banding that has to go on in order for the movement to continue. If we didn't have bands like Alliance and Zone 1(who are alleged to be pro), and Staines and Kidlington, who played a blinder last year then the standard in the championship section would drop. Not in terms of musical ability, but in terns of the competition that each band needs. By this I mean, Instead of having 6 bands slugging it out for the two places, you would only have 2 or 3. This is no way meant too offend anybody, but is an opinion of mine having listened to the C Section on a regular basis.

Good luck to all, especially those who have to wait until the 17/18th March, and get the rubbish hotels up to 15 miles outside of Harrogate

Laserbeam bass
12.03.2007, 15:12

Matt

How about I clear it up even further. Cliff played for Becontree at Pontins on Solo Horn (why you are asking yourself? because he wanted to) and we were extremely pleased to have him as a player for the short time that he was with us.

2nd trom virtuoso
12.03.2007, 18:05
How about I clear it up even further. Cliff played for Becontree at Pontins on Solo Horn (why you are asking yourself? because he wanted to) and we were extremely pleased to have him as a player for the short time that he was with us.
Becontree are a really good up and coming band though, good luck at the areas ;-).
Can anyone give me any advice on where to park when I get to Stevenage, first year driving there!! Or is there a sufficiant car park at the sports complex place?

Matt

Redhorn
12.03.2007, 18:13
Becontree are a really good up and coming band though, good luck at the areas ;-).

Yeah the last 2 years results (and Butlins) were just bad luck! :oops:
Will be there to listen to them though, they're not all bad! :clap:

WhatSharp?
12.03.2007, 19:45
Can anyone give me any advice on where to park when I get to Stevenage, first year driving there!! Or is there a sufficiant car park at the sports complex place?

Matt

I usually park in the train station just behind the Leisure Centre. I can't remember whether its a pay-in-dismay or not though ( I have a feeling it was free on the sunday, though as the last 4 areas have been by coach the memory is somewhat vague )...

DaveR
12.03.2007, 20:04
Yeah, there is quite a big carpark around the leisure centre - although it still pays to get there early. There is also the station carpark across the road, but last year that had been reduced in size for some building work as I recall. I went through Stevenage a couple of weeks ago but I can't remember whether or not they had been completed.....

If you are prepared to walk a little further, there is a big car park near the cinema which you can probably park in.

Will the Sec
12.03.2007, 20:31
I usually park in the train station just behind the Leisure Centre. I can't remember whether its a pay-in-dismay or not though ( I have a feeling it was free on the sunday, though as the last 4 areas have been by coach the memory is somewhat vague )...

Definitely NOT free on Sunday, but it was only a couple of quid last year.

2nd trom virtuoso
12.03.2007, 23:01
Definitely NOT free on Sunday, but it was only a couple of quid last year.
Hmm, cheers guys. A few options I can try out at least, might play around with my trusty sat nav to see if that can work anything out although not entirely sure it has a find car park function?! :p Wouldn't that be useful

Ipswich trom
13.03.2007, 06:13
Hmm, cheers guys. A few options I can try out at least, might play around with my trusty sat nav to see if that can work anything out although not entirely sure it has a find car park function?! :p Wouldn't that be useful

Mine does has a find car park function! :D I've always managed to park in the car parks immediately behind the leisure centre when i've been on a Sunday. The car park next to the station is also normally really easy to get into.

GJG
13.03.2007, 19:44
Oh well; kiss of death for us, then ...

http://www.4barsrest.com/articles/2007/art687b.asp

DaveR
13.03.2007, 22:53

I think the 4BR curse may be getting weaker - they tipped Polysteel in the West of England and they won! At least I hope it's getting weaker - they've tipped Sandhurst to come 2nd!

Chunky
14.03.2007, 09:50

Not sure it will be for you! Good luck Saturday and hope to see you for a beer.

GJG
14.03.2007, 10:05
Good luck Saturday and hope to see you for a beer.

Best of luck to you, as well.

Look forward to it, here's to a (fairly) early draw. (Not that they actually serve anything resembling beer at Stevenage leisure centre. May well be forced to drink Guinness, being St. Patrick's day an'all; - not that I have any Irish ancestry you understand, but I think it's important to show respect for other nations' history and culture, don't you ... ?)

Chunky
14.03.2007, 10:08
Best of luck to you, as well.

Look forward to it, here's to a (fairly) early draw. (Not that they actually serve anything resembling beer at Stevenage leisure centre. May well be forced to drink Guinness, being St. Patrick's day an'all; - not that I have any Irish ancestry you understand, but I think it's important to show respect for other nations' history and culture, don't you ... ?)

Cheers Gareth!

Agreed the beer is awful and as I remember they don't serve Guinness at the Leisure Centre! Probably going to look for a pub with proper beer and a tv to watch the rugby. Anybody got any suggestions of such a pub?

GJG
14.03.2007, 10:12
Think there's a "HogsHead" just around the corner (by the bus station) where we sometimes go for lunch ... ?
There's also a Wetherspoons, but I don't think they have TV's.

Owen S
14.03.2007, 11:50
Think there's a "HogsHead" just around the corner (by the bus station) where we sometimes go for lunch ... ?
There's also a Wetherspoons, but I don't think they have TV's.
The Hogshead definitely had a couple of TVs, though they weren't huge. It also has a pool table, so I may be forced to beat Ed at pool again.

CLAIRE SPONG
14.03.2007, 14:50
Good luck to both Wantage bands and to Chalgrove Band!

Will the Sec
14.03.2007, 15:44
Be warned... the Cyclops will be in town, playing Bb Bass for Fulham, and that means the Irish/Scottish karaoke team will be in business if we don't finish last... or even if we do!

the fish
14.03.2007, 19:08
Good luck to both Wantage bands and to Chalgrove Band!

Thanks Claire!

We will do our best, might even find time to fit a beer in as well, you never know......

Julian

jonesbp
15.03.2007, 01:16
Texus, now that I know who you are, this thread makes a lot more sense!

Bryan_sop
15.03.2007, 04:38
Hmmm since when has 7th been a podium position?

Last 11 Years:
2006: 9th (C. Paterson)
2005: 7th (R. Gray)
2004: 9th (R. Hull)
2003: 15th (R. Hull)
2002: 8th (R. Hull)
2001: 11th (P. Hudson)
2000: Winners of Second Section (P. Hudson) (prom)
1999: DNC
1998: 12th (rel)
1997: N/K
1996: 9th

Peter Bassano leads City of Cambridge's challenge this year and the knowledgeable MD will be hoping to weave his magic on the band. They disappointed a touch at Butlins in January off an early draw to come 12th, but they'll be looking for a podium place at least - somewhere Russell Gray no less, had them two years ago, so they have got the ability to do it.

Looking forward to seeing everyone on Saturday. May even pop over on Sunday to listen, depending on how I feel after beer and Curry!!

ed_the_euph
15.03.2007, 06:20
The Hogshead definitely had a couple of TVs, though they weren't huge. It also has a pool table, so I may be forced to beat Ed at pool again.

It would be a dark day on the sun before you beat me at pool sunny jim!

Chunky
15.03.2007, 08:59
Hmmm since when has 7th been a podium position?

I would take it as a podium finish!

davidquinlan
15.03.2007, 09:31

Texus? Sense?

eh?

:)

Owen S
15.03.2007, 09:49
It would be a dark day on the sun before you beat me at pool sunny jim!
Thought that would draw you out, Mr Selective Memory. ;)

PeterBale
15.03.2007, 10:15
Just want to wish all the tMPers all the best at Stevenage. I shan't get across on the Sunday unfortunately, but hope to meet some of you on Saturday. At least I'm not wearing my 4br hat this year, so I can sit back and enjoy it! (I am assured after last year's hiccup, that 4br have both days more than adequately covered ;) )

From the tables it looks rather ominous for us at Becontree, but I'm sure we'll give it our best!

DaveR
15.03.2007, 10:22
Just want to wish all the tMPers all the best at Stevenage. I shan't get across on the Sunday unfortunately, but hope to meet some of you on Saturday. At least I'm not wearing my 4br hat this year, so I can sit back and enjoy it! (I am assured after last year's hiccup, that 4br have both days more than adequately covered ;) )

From the tables it looks rather ominous for us at Becontree, but I'm sure we'll give it our best!

Thanks Peter. Will you be wearing a tMP hat so that I can recognise you? ;) :tongue:

Good luck to Becontree too - but not too much! :wink:

Texus
15.03.2007, 11:15

Damn. My identity has been revealed. Must drink more Guinness and asume another alter ego!

Veri
15.03.2007, 11:17
Thanks Peter. Will you be wearing a tMP hat so that I can recognise you? ;) :tongue:

Good luck to Becontree too - but not too much! :wink:

I like the idea of hats. I've been wondering for a while, actually since I went to Butlins, how you would ever recognise a fellow tMP-er...

Bungle
15.03.2007, 11:20
I like the idea of hats. I've been wondering for a while, actually since I went to Butlins, how you would ever recognise a fellow tMP-er...

By their tMP polo shirt of course

Chunky
15.03.2007, 11:22

Sore eyes from straining to look at messages late at night

Gnarled fingers caused by RSI from typing on the keyboard

These are probably the best 2 ways!

PeterBale
15.03.2007, 11:45

I would normally be wearing either of my tMP or 4br shirts, but on this occasion I don't think they would go very well with my Becontree jacket :eek:

Veri
15.03.2007, 11:45

But everyone will be in band uniform!

2nd trom virtuoso
15.03.2007, 15:03
Never thought i'd say this but pack your snow shovels in your boot if your driving there on Sunday, Snows predicted!!! Ha. Early warning of disruption on met-office and bbc websites for East/South East England :-s Could make for an interesting drive home folks but i'll beleive it when I see it

davidquinlan
15.03.2007, 15:12
5 day forecast for St.Evenage ...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/5day.shtml?id=3395

2nd trom virtuoso
15.03.2007, 15:16

http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/5day.shtml?id=3395

Just watched the forcast and they mentioned snow arriving Sunday evening even in the south?! Think its worth keeping an eye out for anyway.

PeterBale
15.03.2007, 15:19

I think Saturday's said something about "scattered showers and foggy patches not putting a damper on the carnival atmosphere . . . "

:oops: coat . . . .

ed_the_euph
15.03.2007, 16:36
surely as brass bandies were used to playing in bad weather on Carnival day?

Adamskied
15.03.2007, 18:50
Please help.

After the contest on Sunday(no mater what the result) Friary Band are wanting to go for a curry...does anyone know any good place we could go?

I am sure the band won't mind me saying that if we find a place then anyone is welcome to join us...more banders the better.

I will let people know...if I get any sugestions.

Thanks to all

2nd trom virtuoso
16.03.2007, 12:14
Final preperations this next few days then! Another good luck to everyone playing this weekend. Hows everyone finding the music?
I am actually quite into our piece now, first glance thought it was going to be pretty easy but how wrong was I, there's so many things to pick up on which makes it incredibly hard work! Had to practise every night for a few hours at least to keep my stamina up for the last section in particular, poor Mr Solo trom player! Top E's!! The 4th section piece is actually pretty catchy, played it in preperations with Newmarket, could almost be a concert piece but difficult in its own way.

Depending on where Soham get drawn (hopefully not number 1!) will have a pint and then listen to the rest of the champ section.

Matt

andywooler
16.03.2007, 16:28
Looking forward to catching up with a few old buddies on Sunday - but that will have to be before we play as have to get back to Brighton for a rehearsal!

tubanoel
16.03.2007, 16:42
Just watched the forcast and they mentioned snow arriving Sunday evening even in the south?! Think its worth keeping an eye out for anyway.

Just be thankful that the waiting bands don't have to queue outside in the snow ala CBBA contest in Whitehaven and of course the Yorkshire Areas outside St. Georges Hall!

super_sop
16.03.2007, 16:43
Best of luck to my good friends Mrs h:wink:

And Aardvark for this weekend.

Here's hopping we can all meet up up for drinkiepoos in Harrogate:tup

Aardvark
16.03.2007, 20:38
Best of luck to my good friends Mrs h:wink:

And Aardvark for this weekend.

Here's hopping we can all meet up up for drinkiepoos in Harrogate:tup

Cheers matey - you've set us a high standard to keep up to !

tromepic
16.03.2007, 22:17
Just like to wish all the best to Becontree, you know you can do well and hope to be pitting our wits with you soon.

Redhorn
17.03.2007, 00:20
Good luck to you too, tromepic. Reports suggest you guys are hot favourites in that section. Will be over in the morning to have a listen... hope you're not drawn too early though.

Also good luck to:

Eupho Elvis, Leyfy, Pete B, and Alex C at Becontree.....
Texus and the Essex boys on Sunday!
Matt and Brighton!
Ian @ Ipswich
Alan Doogy and all three of his bands!
Lauren & Keith at Thundersley!

Looking forward to hearing many bands murder Wayfarer tomorrow! :-)

Daisy Duck
17.03.2007, 09:08
Good luck to everyone who's lucky enough to be going - our band only does SCABA contests.

Special good luck to Andy (sop) and Faye (2nd cornet) with Brighton and Hove, Simon (somewhere in the cornet section) with Horsham and Andrew (sop) with Battle Town Band!

Will the Sec
17.03.2007, 14:49
Second Section Draw courtesy of 3barsdrunkdry

Norfolk Wherry Brass, G. Barberm, 1
Capital Concert Brass, J. Morahan, 2
Betteshanger, T. Vinall, 3
Cawston, C. Swaep, 4
Tilbury, R. Nunnery, 5
Chichester City, J. Williams, 6
Grimsdyke Brass, S. Broughall, 7
Yiewsley & West Drayton, C. Cole, 8
Egham, G. Green, 9
East London Brass, D. Shead, 10
Chinnor Silver, D. Pegram, 11
Fairlop Brass, K. Jordan, 12
Ware Brass, P. Littlemore, 13
Epping Forest, M. Easener, 14
Hitchin Town, I. Graves, 15

Will the Sec
17.03.2007, 14:58
First Section Draw courtesy of 3barsdrunkdry

Broseley Brass MK, P. Fensom, 1
Ipswich & Norwich Co-op, R. Norman, 2
Becontree Brass, D. Bright, 3
St. Albans City, S. Garman, 4
Crystal Palace, M. Gray, 5
City of Cambridge, P. Bassano, 6
Bedford Town, J. Berryman, 7
Sandhurst Silver, R. Burke, 8
KM Medway, M. White, 9
Horsham Borough, K. Maxwell, 10
Northfleet Brass, A. Caldon, 11
Jersey Premier Brass, T. Pritchard, 12
Stonesfield Silver, S. Jones, 13
Regent Brass, A. Duguid, 14
Matthews Norfolk Brass, D. Stowell, 15
Denham Hendon, G. Davies, 16

Good luck to all bands, but especially Becontree, Palace and Sandhurst.

GBH
17.03.2007, 15:55
Second Section Results

1. Egham, G. Green, 9, 186
2. Cawston, C. Swaep, 4 , 182
3. Tilbury, R. Nunnery, 5, 180
4. Yiewsley & West Drayton, C. Cole, 8, 178
5. Norfolk Wherry Brass, G. Barberm, 1, 177
6. Fairlop Brass, K. Jordan, 12, 176
7. Grimsdyke Brass, S. Broughall, 7, 175
8. Chichester City, J. Williams, 6, 174
9. Ware Brass, P. Littlemore, 13, 173
10. Capital Concert Brass, J. Morahan, 2, 171
11. Epping Forest, M. Easener, 14, 170
12. East London Brass, D. Shead, 10, 169
13. Chinnor Silver, D. Pegram, 11, 168
14. Betteshanger, T. Vinall, 3, 167
15. Hitchin Town, I. Graves, 15, 166

Top 2 bands qualify

Egham and Cawston go up, Capital Concert and Hitchin go down (and possibly Alder Valley as they're now a 10 piece)

G

Big Twigge
17.03.2007, 17:04
Congratulations to all at Cawston, especially Andy, Chunky and Pav - woooo! See you all in Harrogate! x

Will the Sec
17.03.2007, 17:18
http://www.regional-contest.org.uk/london/index.php?page=grading2007

Kudos to L&SC for getting these up so quickly!

"Bravo Xylo"
17.03.2007, 17:27
Nice one Tilbury! :D

Maestro
17.03.2007, 17:53
Many congratulations to Chunky, Big Pav and all the rest at Cawston. Brilliant result(s) for you. Added to the fact that Mr. Huckerby produced the goods again, I have an inkling that Mr. Chunky will be partaking in some well earned beer tonight.
Well done guys!

Accidental
17.03.2007, 18:14
:clap: :clap: YAY EGHAM!! :clap: :clap:

Well done guys for a fantastic result - you deserve it.
(I just hope 4br aren't so accurate tomorrow!)

MISS PITCH
17.03.2007, 19:06
Good luck to everyone who's lucky enough to be going - our band only does SCABA contests.

Special good luck to Andy (sop) and Faye (2nd cornet) with Brighton and Hove, Simon (somewhere in the cornet section) with Horsham and Andrew (sop) with Battle Town Band!

thanks louise! shame you cant be there --- but catch up with u thursday!!

have you got adams mobile number?! --- do u no ifhe is going to the commttee meeting tuesday!?

Emilies going :S:S (poor poor emilie!)

FAYE x

SteveT
17.03.2007, 19:37
Just a note of congrats to Chunkers and Cawston. despite your kind invite Ian, you didn't say which bar! Howerever, what else can I say, except Dragoon Guards are never wrong. Well done Colin!

I know how much hard work it takes to keep a band viable in Darkest East Anglia! Anyway, well done guys.

Il duce... (Chairman).... I will definately buy you a beer tomorro ... if you are at Stevenage!

Will the Sec
17.03.2007, 20:33
1st Place - Broseley Brass MK off number 1 draw

KM "in the mix somewhere"

Becontree 14th
Palace 15th
St Albans 16th

Early results courtesy of 3 bars drunk dry

Lully
17.03.2007, 20:42
horsham borough came 9th i've heard!

Jasonp
17.03.2007, 20:43
Go Egham Go!

Well done and congratulations, and from what I've heared the adjudicator commented that you were 'Head and shoulders above the rest'

Nice one :clap:

super_sop
17.03.2007, 20:46
Ahha!!! well hello Mr. Jasonp!!!

i do you hope you have a good day tomorrow!!!

I also apologise for missing you of of my good luck earlier on.

I do hope now you will call off the kill squad sent for me.....

Pretty please!!!

frightened Craigy

lauren
17.03.2007, 21:02
Regent 10th....im sorry was I listening to a different band?
you didn't deserve that guys, had you near the top.

Well done Grant on your first outing!

Jasonp
17.03.2007, 21:52
Ahha!!! well hello Mr. Jasonp!!!

i do you hope you have a good day tomorrow!!!

I also apologise for missing you of of my good luck earlier on.

I do hope now you will call off the kill squad sent for me.....

Pretty please!!!

frightened Craigy

Your lucky Craig!

I'll let you off this once, just don't do it again, or else!!! ;)

super_sop
17.03.2007, 21:57
Your lucky Craig!

I'll let you off this once, just don't do it again, or else!!! ;)

pphew!!! thank goodness for that!!!

seriously bud, best wishes for tomorrow:tup

say hi to the boss for me:wink:

Veri
17.03.2007, 22:08
1st Place - Broseley Brass MK off number 1 draw

KM "in the mix somewhere"

Becontree 14th
Palace 15th
St Albans 16th

Early results courtesy of 3 bars drunk dry

Nah, we were fifteenth.... :(

KM were 4th, and Bedford Town 3rd, City of Cambridge 2nd, and Brosley won.

I did enjoy Bedford's performance, didn't hear City or KM...

Hmm - it's difficult to find out the results there isn't it? We wanted to know the 2nd sectiobn results and had to resort to looking at 4barsrest on someone's mobile!

Sorry, bad typing due to extreme tiredness, not drinking - I've been driving!!

Good day out though!

DaveR
17.03.2007, 22:24
Nah, we were fifteenth.... :(

KM were 4th, and Bedford Town 3rd, City of Cambridge 2nd, and Brosley won.

I did enjoy Bedford's performance, didn't hear City or KM...

Hmm - it's difficult to find out the results there isn't it? We wanted to know the 2nd sectiobn results and had to resort to looking at 4barsrest on someone's mobile!

Sorry, bad typing due to extreme tiredness, not drinking - I've been driving!!

Good day out though!

It's quite difficult here too - when are 4BR putting the results of the 1st section up? I left straight after we played and can't get hold of anyone to find out how we did! I know the best we could have been was only 5th, thanks to Veri! :( I don't think we played as well as we could have done - it was a little nervous sounding in places.

(BTW Veri, I think I saw you today but I was too chicken to come up and talk to you in case it wasn't you! :oops:)

I have a complaint about the timps they provided for the 1st section. :redface: Throughout the whole 11 minutes or however long the piece is, the timp has 5 different notes to play (Bb, Eb, F, Gb and Cb). Not much to ask for to expect the timps provided to have *all* the notes available on it is it? I needed a Cb and the timp only went down to a C (and there was no room for any further movement in the pedal either!). Sounded awful playing a C natural in a Cb major chord. :mad:

GBH
17.03.2007, 22:28

You can pull the results from there if you're interested.

G

Maestro
17.03.2007, 22:29
Results can be found here....

http://www.regional-contest.org.uk/london/index.php?page=results2007

DaveR
17.03.2007, 22:30

You can pull the results from there if you're interested.

G

Thanks! Looks like we came 6th. Could be worse! :redface:

Chief L. Basso De Blower
17.03.2007, 22:48
Wishing the best of luck to all my pals in Great Yarmouth Brass in 4th section. Hope to be able to catch up in Harrogate for a beer in September ;)

Ady

Will the Sec
17.03.2007, 23:08
Results can be found here....

http://www.regional-contest.org.uk/london/index.php?page=results2007

Looks like LBB upset the organisers again!

Placed bottom even though they've less points than half a dozen other bands!

CubbRep
17.03.2007, 23:55
where did Sandhurst Silver come?
CubbRep

DaveR
17.03.2007, 23:57
where did Sandhurst Silver come?
CubbRep

6th! :woo

Redhorn
18.03.2007, 00:28
An interesting set of results in the 1st section....
As a neutral I listened to every band, and had the top four as follows (with the rest a long way behind!):

1. Matthews Norfolk
2. KM Medway
3. Regent
4. Northfleet

I think the four above can feel rightly aggrieved! They all gave 'musical' performance, rather than 'safe' ones.

Apologies if this post doesnt make sense... ive had a few too many lemonades in the bar this evening! :-)

Red Elvis
18.03.2007, 00:33
No major complaints from us all at Becontree , 14th a fair result and a damn sight better than our last outing at Skegness !

Was well impressed by Nic Childs' comments at the end - very constructive for all concerned . His comments on our written adjudication were spot on as well and also phrased in an encouraging fashion.

Only negative I can say about him - just cos he has the title "Dr" is no excuse for his handwriting to be as bad as my esteemed colleagues in the medical profession!!! :)

cornetcheese
18.03.2007, 01:38
1. Matthews Norfolk
2. KM Medway
3. Regent
4. Northfleet

Thanks Mr. Horn - bit gutted at the result, band couldn't have played a much better performance! Ach well, you know what they say - if you can't take a joke, don't go contesting!

Congratulations to the winning bands, especially Broseley - very tight and accurate performance. Well done!

Bryan_sop
18.03.2007, 03:11
OH MY GOD!!!!!!!!

If anyone was sat near me during the results, please excuse my language, I was fairly chuffed!!!!!!

AAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
First time I've been in a band that qualified!

can I just say:

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGHHHH!!!!!!!! !!!!1

"Bravo Xylo"
18.03.2007, 07:12
What did people think about the 2nd section results?

ed_the_euph
18.03.2007, 07:54
What did people think about the 2nd section results?

they were spot on!!!

speaking with only a hint of bias of course!!...

the comments were spot on, and the adjudicators speech was clear and intelligent.. and it looked like he actually took the time to sort out the rankings all the way down to last.. Give that man a gold star!!.. thats the sort of chap we should have on a more regular basis!.. and not just because he put us 'head and shoulders' above the rest.. (well done to all my comrades in Egham..especially Gareth.. the hard work finally paid off!!)

ed_the_euph
18.03.2007, 08:04
ps... who was supposed to be looking after me last night?? i woke up this morning with my contact lenses still in, took them out with the remnants of chilli sauce on my fingers.. and am still watering.. and my mouth is drier than a dead dingos didgerydoo....

Veri
18.03.2007, 08:34
It's quite difficult here too - when are 4BR putting the results of the 1st section up? I left straight after we played and can't get hold of anyone to find out how we did! I know the best we could have been was only 5th, thanks to Veri! :( I don't think we played as well as we could have done - it was a little nervous sounding in places.

(BTW Veri, I think I saw you today but I was too chicken to come up and talk to you in case it wasn't you! :oops:)

Hehe, you should have done, although I guess you were reluctant to after your incident at WoE!! At what point of the day was it? I spent most of the day half asleep, or trying not to sing the 2nd baritone part whilst listening to the other bands. I didn't meet any tMPers, although I introduced myself to the man from Rosehill who offered me loads of advice via email on baritones. I think he thought I was a bit nuts, but he gave me a mouthpiece shaped keyring.

I didn't see Sandhurst I'm afraid, I saw bands 1-5, and number 7, and number 16. Sort of heard number 12 whilst waiting to go on...

Still, whatever the result, Wayfarer is a cracking piece of music. I had a moment of hating it earlier in the week, but I really really enjoyed playing on the day, and really enjoyed listening to other bands interpretations etc.

big phat bass boy
18.03.2007, 08:43
Congratulations to all at Cawston, especially Andy, Chunky and Pav - woooo! See you all in Harrogate! x

Thanks Caroline and Kev for your comments we were unbelievably chuffed about the result 2nd place, Harrogate and promotion all in one day. Oh and the basses got a mention in the remarks, good ones at that.

Well done to Egham Mr Harper seemed very plased with you guys.

See you in Harrogate.

DaveR
18.03.2007, 11:34
Hehe, you should have done, although I guess you were reluctant to after your incident at WoE!! At what point of the day was it?

It was before the 1st section started in the foyer. You were talking to Simon and Liz, and I was sitting at the next table on the sofa.

Chunky
18.03.2007, 11:40
Thanks Caroline and Kev for your comments we were unbelievably chuffed about the result 2nd place, Harrogate and promotion all in one day. Oh and the basses got a mention in the remarks, good ones at that.

Well done to Egham Mr Harper seemed very plased with you guys.

See you in Harrogate.

Can I just echo the sentiments of my partner in pedals. Even though modesty stopped him from putting exactly what Mr Harper put about the basses. But its not just about us, the remarks were good for all sections of the band. But a big well done to Principal Cornet Max. We love you hun!

What a day, all objectives achieved. Just a shame that Matthews appear to have been robbed. And thanks to all those from Matthews who tried to get in for the results to support us!

Mr Sly Old Fox: Was only in the bar at Stevenage Leisure Centre. Not quite how many jugs we went through before and after the results!

GJG: Must be your round in Harrogate! Told you that you would be ok even after 4barsrest tipped you!

Great days Cawston, love you all and to a certain Euphonium player, we are just glad to see you were 'still standing' at the end of the day!

To anyone else I have not mentioned who congratulated us on the day or on here, THANKS!!

Veri
18.03.2007, 12:16
It was before the 1st section started in the foyer. You were talking to Simon and Liz, and I was sitting at the next table on the sofa.

Ah yes, that would have been me,you should have said hi! Oh well, our paths are bound to cross at some point, except I don't have a clue what you look like!

David Pegram
18.03.2007, 12:34
they were spot on!!!

speaking with only a hint of bias of course!!...

the comments were spot on, and the adjudicators speech was clear and intelligent.. and it looked like he actually took the time to sort out the rankings all the way down to last.. Give that man a gold star!!.. thats the sort of chap we should have on a more regular basis!.. and not just because he put us 'head and shoulders' above the rest.. (well done to all my comrades in Egham..especially Gareth.. the hard work finally paid off!!)

Can't agree but this is not a we woz robbed.Mr Harpers words were spot on but his remarks were something else.On ours we had one and a half lines for one whole movement.Not much to work on or talk to the band about.
Well done to Egham and Cawston i'm sure you will kick some northern butts in sept.

Tuba Miriam
18.03.2007, 12:42
Well done Egham - what a fantastic result! And what a winning margin - 4 points. It was an excellent performance to listen to, everything there and very musical (nice one, Gareth;) ): the complete package.

DaveR
18.03.2007, 13:18
Ah yes, that would have been me,you should have said hi! Oh well, our paths are bound to cross at some point, except I don't have a clue what you look like!

Count yourself lucky! :tongue:

DaveR
18.03.2007, 15:22
Results of the 3rd section, courtesy of L&SCR (http://www.regional-contest.org.uk/london/index.php?page=results2007)

1 Epsom & Ewell Silver E.Howard 14 181
2 Thundersley Brass K.Schroeter 6 179
3 Littleport Brass N.Bramley 12 178
4 BAE Systems K.Woodger 5 177
5 Croydon Brass P.Martin 1 175
6 Stantonbury Brass A.Jenkin 4 174
7 E.P.B D.Desmond 15 173
8 Brighton & Hove City Brass M.Hackett 10 172
9 Waterbeach Brass J.Utting 9 171
10 St Sebastian Wokingham t.b.a 13 170
11 Fulham P.McLaughlin 7 169
12 Hangleton M.Pollard 3 168
13 Woodbridge Excelsior A.Duguid 2 167
14 L.G.B.. Brass I.Stewart 8 166
15 Bradwell Silver C.Johnston 11 164
{W} Fulborn & Teversham R.B.L. S.Anker W

andywooler
18.03.2007, 17:04
Nice to see a few familiar faces this morning - having had to dash backl to Brighton for an Orchestral rehearsal, I didn't hear any bands at all today so have no idea if our mid table placing waqs justified or not. What I can say is that I enjoyed being back on the sop chair and my thanks to MrsH for an enjoyable performance. I liked it even if the judge didn't.

andywooler
18.03.2007, 17:07
Not sure lucky is the right word - with 23 bands in what would be our section "Lottery" is another good word for it! And then, you need a lottery win to fund a trip to Harrogate.

Thanks. Simon I didn't see but Andy Baxter I did - he was looking at trumpets on the trade stands - the 10 he has is clearly not enough!

trumpetmike
18.03.2007, 17:26
Congrats to Epsom & Ewell - the pubs in the locality won't be safe:clap:

Will the Sec
18.03.2007, 17:49
Very disappointed with 11th, but if you enter a contest you have to accept the decision of the adjudicator.

Chief L. Basso De Blower
18.03.2007, 17:53
Many congrats to my pals in Great Yarmouth Brass - see you in Harrogate!!

Top four results for 4th section (courtesy of 4BR):

1. Chalgrove, M. Pegram, 22, 180
2. Great Yarmouth Brass, S. Philpot, 9, 179
3. Hungerford Town, T. Crouter, 23, 178
4. Jubilee Brass (Oxford), C. Sadler, 14, 177

David Pegram
18.03.2007, 18:02
Well done Chalgrove great result.

simonbassbone
18.03.2007, 18:23
Well done City of Cambridge:clap: :clap:

Great result....:clap: :clap:

Redhorn
18.03.2007, 18:24
Many congrats to Keith and Thundersley. Yet ANOTHER trip up to Harrogate (at the first time of asking in this section. Perhaps youd have won if you didnt have a ropey principal cornet!!! ;) :tongue:

Word from Stevenage right now is that Aveley & Newham did an 'amazing' performance of Is.40, with Z1 currently in 2nd place.

Redhorn
18.03.2007, 18:25
Well done City of Cambridge:clap: :clap:

Great result....:clap: :clap:

Simon,
How come your band withdrew again??... :confused:

David.

Redhorn
18.03.2007, 18:34
1. Redbridge Brass, M. White, 2, 193
2. Aveley and Newham, N. Taken, 7, 192
3. Zone One Brass, P. Archibald, 4, 190
4. Kidlington Concert Brass, C. Underwood, 10, 189
5. Haverhill Silver, M. Ager, 1, 188
6. Wantage Silver 'A', P. Bailey, 5, 187
7. Welwyn Garden City, S. Tighe, 3, 186
8. Clacton-on-Sea Co-operative, R. Nunnery, 6, 185
9. Friary Guildford, C. King, 8, 184
10. Soham Comrades, P. Filby, 9, 183
Alliance Brass, J. Clark, w
Staines Brass, I. McElligott, w

From 4barsrest.

Rb won horn and euph prizes also.

Daniel Sheard
18.03.2007, 18:57
Huge congratulations to my old band Broseley for winning the 1st section. See you in Harrogate!

Redhorn
18.03.2007, 19:09
Rb won horn and euph prizes also.

Congrats to Iselin (you star!!! I wanted that! ;) ) and Lisa!

Cornet prize won by Dave Thomas at A & N.

lauren
18.03.2007, 19:22
Perhaps youd have won if you didnt have a ropey principal cornet!!! ;) :tongue:

You cheeky so and so!!

dave johnston
18.03.2007, 19:38
Huge congratulations to my old band Broseley for winning the 1st section. See you in Harrogate!
Thanks Daniel and Congrats for your No 1 spot in Wales in return. Saturday was certainly a good day for Broseley and Northop!!

Be good to book some time for a beer at H'gate, I think. Keep us posted on where you will be staying.

Ray.Scotcher
18.03.2007, 20:05
CHALGROVE - excellent result! Well done.

Redhorn
18.03.2007, 20:40
You cheeky so and so!!

Becontree reject!!!! ;) :tongue: :tongue: :tongue: ;)

Redhorn
18.03.2007, 20:51
Looks like Alliance's decision to withdraw didnt pay off! One of the best bands in the area is now relegated!!

Also down are Soham and Friary Guildford.

DaveR
18.03.2007, 20:58
Well done Wantage A - fabulous result for your first time out in the Championship! :clap:

2nd trom virtuoso
18.03.2007, 21:02
Looks like Alliance's decision to withdraw didnt pay off! One of the best bands in the area is now relegated!!

3 of probably the most consistant bands are now 1st section! A big shame especially as I thought both Sohams and Friarys performances weren't the worst on the day at all but thats both banding and my opinion!
Haverhill- a band to watch out for, excellant players, making a big impression, well done to them.
Also managed to hear Redbridge, very worthy winners. Big congrats to another local band, Cambridge.

Matt

Redhorn
18.03.2007, 21:18

Thats 1 hell of a good 1st section for next year!!!

mjwarman
18.03.2007, 21:28
Well done to the Chalgrove massive, I'm sure the Red Lion did not know what had hit it when you got back!!

After all the hard work that we all put in, in my opinion it was well deserved!!!

Congratulations to Great Yarmouth too, we'll see you in Harrogate!!

Bring on the 3rd Section!!!

IYOUNG
18.03.2007, 21:41
Well done to the Chalgrove massive, I'm sure the Red Lion did not know what had hit it when you got back!!

After all the hard work that we all put in, in my opinion it was well deserved!!!

Congratulations to Great Yarmouth too, we'll see you in Harrogate!!

Bring on the 3rd Section!!!

Have to agree there Matt, lots of hard work paid off today, huge well done to all the band particularly the soloists, Sarah, Amanda and especially Ian on Solo Horn who was just brilliant.

and to to Steve we are all so pleased for you after all this time trying......well done mate.

Tuba Miriam
18.03.2007, 21:51
Bad luck Friary, good to catch up with you but a disappointing day. Stay positive and use the Spring Festival to prove your quality.

All the best.

Leyfy
18.03.2007, 21:59

right back at ya, redhorn :tongue:

Ipswich trom
18.03.2007, 22:05
3 of probably the most consistant bands are now 1st section! A big shame especially as I thought both Sohams and Friarys performances weren't the worst on the day at all but thats both banding and my opinion!

Matt

Matt,
not really sure what you mean by consistent? I saw all the bands in championship today and in my opinion, Dr Childs didn't get it wrong! How on earth did you hear Friary's performance, you were next on? :confused:

Ipswich trom
18.03.2007, 22:21
Congratulations to the Cawston Band. I heard the first 8 bands in your section and thought you were excellent, a really musical performance and the position was just reward. See you at Norwich in a few weeks!

Tootingtooter
18.03.2007, 22:50
ps... who was supposed to be looking after me last night?? i woke up this morning with my contact lenses still in, took them out with the remnants of chilli sauce on my fingers.. and am still watering.. and my mouth is drier than a dead dingos didgerydoo....

Ahhh, the perils of the post-contest activities :D ..... and of course, St Patricks Day too!

Hope you're feeling more in the world of the living now.

Well done to you and all at Egham

yorkie19
19.03.2007, 00:03
OH MY GOD!!!!!!!!

If anyone was sat near me during the results, please excuse my language, I was fairly chuffed!!!!!!

AAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
First time I've been in a band that qualified!

can I just say:

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGHHHH!!!!!!!! !!!!1

Great result Bryan. Please pass my congratulations on to everyone.

jingleram
19.03.2007, 00:22
Congrats to Redbridge and especially to Iain depping on euph! Best euph prize as well so I hear!!

MartinT
19.03.2007, 05:16
Well done Wantage A - fabulous result for your first time out in the Championship! :clap:

Thanks Dave. We worked long and hard at the piece, and are very happy with the result.

Our "B" band are equally happy with their 8th place in the 4th section. Sueperc was bending my ear with "we came 8th!" most of the way home :)

lauren
19.03.2007, 07:16

Think I rejected them....if I recall??!!!

PeterBale
19.03.2007, 08:26
Firstly, congratulations to Egham! I heard seven or eight of the bands in the second Section, and agree with Philip Harper that most bands did not pick up the style, especially in the second movement. Not having heard "Carnival" before, I did find it quite attractive,although I can't say what it would have been like to rehearse.

Good to see lots of friendly faces on Staurday, including numerous ex Heathens.

Little bit disappointed with our result, although it's probably what we deserved. We bottom-enders even got a mention in the remarks - even if it was not a very good one, although we do have the excuse of struggling with illness!!! Remarks as a whole were helpful, though, and should help by identifying areas where improvement is needed.

Following on from previous comments, it is interesting to think that if Alliance had have turned up, even picking up a couple of places could have saved them from the drop. It's certainly likely to be very competitive in the 1st section next year, with us carrying forward two 14th places - maybe one or two will withdraw to give us a chance ;)

Chunky
19.03.2007, 08:51
Congratulations to the Cawston Band. I heard the first 8 bands in your section and thought you were excellent, a really musical performance and the position was just reward. See you at Norwich in a few weeks!

Thanks for that Ian. When I saw you I may have been slightly 'tired and emotional' due to an early draw. That was before the results. Should have seen us after!

Hope you were happy with your performance and look forward to seeing you in Norwich.

basherbaggie man
19.03.2007, 08:55
To all the Chalgrove players on tmp, I am still on cloud nine, will take a long time to come down, Ian thanks for your message, you are dead right, It has been a long time coming, but now it is here, I couldn't be happier, thanks to all the players for all the hard work we have put in, especially Sarah, who has worked 'her new boots' orgainising the last few months. and obviously to Mike Pegram our conductor, it's because of Mike's dedication and our hard work, that this result has come about. Bring on Harrogate and possibly the 3rd section. Congratiulations to Great Yarmouth and Hungerford, see you in Harrogate, and also to Danny D a great result with Wantage B keep it going Danny see you in the summer!!!!

Redhorn
19.03.2007, 09:09
right back at ya, redhorn :tongue:

:confused: :confused: :confused:

Je ne comprends pas!

DaveR
19.03.2007, 09:17
Thanks Dave. We worked long and hard at the piece, and are very happy with the result.

Our "B" band are equally happy with their 8th place in the 4th section. Sueperc was bending my ear with "we came 8th!" most of the way home :)

I forgot to check where Wantage B came! :oops: Congrats to them too!

Texus
19.03.2007, 10:38
Great contests... gutted by being stuffed by Redbridge again! Well done all though. Thought that Dr Childs did a sterling job of talking before the results, but what the hell was the compere doing? What was the point of splitting up the announcements like so? Made it rather anticimatic for a while.

MoominDave
19.03.2007, 10:54

Some good results for local bands! A sizeable posse of Kidlingtonites came to support/listen to you, and we all went away most impressed, particularly with the soloists, who were very classy. Looks like Oxon has two Championship section bands again... I suspect it's probably better for the general banding scene for them to be separated by a few miles, as well, as they weren't when City of Oxford were on form. Maybe we can even get back to the days when local bands used to win the area! 1986 is too long ago...

Jan H
19.03.2007, 11:01
Some good results for local bands! A sizeable posse of Kidlingtonites came to support/listen to you, and we all went away most impressed, particularly with the soloists, who were very classy. Looks like Oxon has two Championship section bands again... I suspect it's probably better for the general banding scene for them to be separated by a few miles, as well, as they weren't when City of Oxford were on form. Maybe we can even get back to the days when local bands used to win the area! 1986 is too long ago...
Congratulations on your 4th place as well, Dave!

MoominDave
19.03.2007, 11:08
Cheers! We're pretty pleased with it, and also to have lost the 9th place from 2005 in the gradings for next year... It's an odd placing, 4th - it's pretty good, but you don't feel that "with only a bit more luck, we could have qualified" - it's just a bit too far off the pace (particularly in such a small section), and so it's hard to get excited. Anyway, no moans here, a good job by Nick Childs, and kudos to him for complimenting our bass trombonist in the remarks. That doesn't happen often!

Gig
19.03.2007, 11:33
Well done to both Wantage bands.

See you soon guys and girls

jonesbp
19.03.2007, 12:56
Congratulations to Haverhill. A great result for a newly promoted band. And off the dreaded no 1 draw aswell. I do like it when promoted bands get to prove themselves in the top section, and you certainly did that.

ophicliede
19.03.2007, 13:31
Well Done Chalgrove, Hungerford and Jubilee Brass great results. Good Luck to Mike and Tim at the finals!

Owen S
19.03.2007, 13:42
I'd like to say thank you to the many people who have offered their congratulations for our result on Saturday, both here on the Mouthpiece, and in Stevenage on the day.

Those of you in the hall come results time might have noticed that the Egham Band were really quite pleased with the result. In amongst the flurrry of emails this morning, Dennis, our hard-working long-time band secretary, called it "probably the best contest win in our 120-year history", and he's not wrong.

Roll on Harrogate...

big phat bass boy
19.03.2007, 14:39

Thanks Ian, didn't get chance to talk on Saturday sorry about that will see you at Norwich though.

backrowboy
19.03.2007, 16:01
Congratulations to Haverhill. A great result for a newly promoted band. And off the dreaded no 1 draw aswell. I do like it when promoted bands get to prove themselves in the top section, and you certainly did that.

Thanks very much,and congratulations to yourselves and Redbridge.We were thrilled to come 5th and enjoyed our debut in the top section.

supersplit
19.03.2007, 20:53
Congrats to my old band Redbridge! Who won the instrumentalists prizes? I wasnt there but my sis says it was a 'strange' result. Any comments?

Andrew R
19.03.2007, 23:26
Congrats to my old band Redbridge! Who won the instrumentalists prizes? I wasnt there but my sis says it was a 'strange' result. Any comments?

The only "strange" moment related to which of the A&N solo cornets was going to pick up the soloist prize... I understand Dave was a tad quicker off the mark than Bob so got his name on the trophy!!!!

As for the result I didn't hear any grumbling this year....!

Andrew R
19.03.2007, 23:46

Sorry Supersplit....didn't fully answer your question..

Iselin Lande won the horn prize in her first outing on Solo Horn for Redbridge.
Lisa Brill won the Euph prize - so well deserved as well.

Officially... Dave Thomas of A&N won the cornet prize (he did a nice job accompanying Brian Vincent's Baritone solo!!!!).

I'm sure your old Redbridge pals would love to see you for a blow sometime...

euph1968
20.03.2007, 10:27
:clap:
Well done to all at Bletchington on their result at the weekend. 14th may not seem much of an achievement to most, but after coming an unjust 24th last year this was an excellent result for all concerned.

A special thanks to Nigel Hall for stepping in to conduct us after Sheldons Departure, Beverley Gratwohl for making sure we all got there (Despite misplacing Eugine just before we were due to perfom) and to all of the players for doing their best.

Well done Lynne in movement 2 and very well done Stacey for getting those 4 notes!

Heres to next year and the top 10??

Will Taylor
Chairman & Principle Euph
Bletchington Silver Band

supersplit
20.03.2007, 20:48
Iselin Lande won the horn prize in her first outing on Solo Horn for Redbridge. Lisa Brill won the Euph prize - so well deserved as well.

Hi Andrew,

Was there a star baritone player there winning his 7th title in 8 years?

Andrew R
21.03.2007, 08:01
Hi Andrew,

Was there a star baritone player there winning his 7th title in 8 years?

Yes - I was there as old Max Boyce would say. Still probably qualifying as the longest commute to band (Switzerland to Essex every week!!!).

I was happy with how it went....thought I played well and got the band off to a good start - not so sure about the star tag however....that clearly goes to my section leader.

I'm not exactly sure on the win count...sounds about right - all I know is that I have more wins than Melvin!

Andrew

p.s. what was so "strange" with the results in your good sister's eyes??

quantumq4
21.03.2007, 10:46
Hitchin came last in their section on Saterday in Stevenage , then promptly sacked their conductor. Me thinks sour grapes going a bit far..........

Andrew R
21.03.2007, 11:02
I'm not exactly sure on the win count...sounds about right - all I know is that I have more wins than Melvin!

Following an official recount it appears that Mr White does have more London Area wins under his belt that me (but not in the last eight years!!).

Apologies tendered!

However this should not be a surprise to one and all considering he's been at this game since before the movement converted to low pitch instruments!

Alan MacRae
21.03.2007, 11:05
However this should not be a surprise to one and all considering he's been at this game since before the movement converted to low pitch instruments!

Haha, very true :biggrin:

And nice to see Melvin up and about at the weekend, after missing the previous weekend due to illness. Glad it was nothing serious, and it certainly didn't interfere with his performance on Sunday. Congrats to Melvin/Redbridge, and Nigel/A&N.

Bungle
21.03.2007, 12:03
Hitchin came last in their section on Saterday in Stevenage , then promptly sacked their conductor. Me thinks sour grapes going a bit far..........

I don't know, I played with a band that won a contest and sacked the MD.

Lawrencediana
21.03.2007, 12:10
I am sorry to hear that Ian Graves is a really nice guy. Having said that it is no surprise we as conductors are always in the firing line if things are not going well.

Lawrencediana
21.03.2007, 12:13

I'm sure Melvin will enjoy being called a dinosaur. :biggrin:

Texus
21.03.2007, 12:49
I am sure that he has rather thick skin - protected by the ego of so many successes!

dbate
21.03.2007, 12:52
Hi folks,

Anyone know where I can get a recording of us (Stonesfield) doing our distinguished rendition of the Wayfarer in the First Section on Saturday. I really want to know if we were as **** as "Mantovani" Childs seemed to think!

I know there were recordings for sale on the day, but are they still available?
And if so, where from?

Cheers

Dave

dbate
21.03.2007, 12:56
Well done mate. Are you down from your cloud yet? :-)

Dave